PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Offseason

call_me_ishmael
12-17-2017, 11:23 PM
Packers will resign ARod to the biggest contract in the game. Very well deserved.

Now for the curve ball.

I predict the Packers will sign Ndamukong Suh. They need star players, and Suh is the rare star that's not burnt out that will be available.

I predict Adams will be resigned and Jordy will renegotiate so he'll be back cheap next year and the year after, then ride off into the sunset.

red
12-18-2017, 09:01 AM
i really don't think people know what "renegotiate" means in terms of football

and no player is ever going to just give back money, nor should they

call_me_ishmael
12-18-2017, 09:36 AM
It's either renegotiate and extend or be cut and not signed by anyone else. Nelson is washed up but he's a popular player and not a problem off the field. They'll let him end his career as a Packer.

pbmax
12-18-2017, 11:26 AM
It's either renegotiate and extend or be cut and not signed by anyone else. Nelson is washed up but he's a popular player and not a problem off the field. They'll let him end his career as a Packer.

How many teams have you contacted? Because Nelson's agent will have contacted them all.

In all the years of Thompson, they have done this once with a star player and it was AJ Hawk.

I don't think they are going to hold 2017 against him.

Carolina_Packer
12-18-2017, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure how you can tell that Jordy's washed up.

We are in unfamiliar fan territory here. Our all-world QB came back from injury and did not "save our season". Good thing back in 2013 we were playing the Bears for his first game back, and not the 2017 Panthers. That was a tough game for a first start coming off injury. The Panthers are fighting for something too.

So we are all but out of the playoffs. We are not familiar with that either. Sometimes things like this can lead to the change that was actually needed. If we make the playoffs and figure out how to get to the NFC CG again and get embarrassed, there's no telling what MM does with Capers. Again, it's mostly Dom's fault, but not all. Injuries and TT's youthful depth on D has really hurt this team.

Jordy is not the issue. Yesterday, unfortunately rust was an issue.

Tony Oday
12-18-2017, 12:35 PM
I am excited for this offseason:

1. All world QB

2. Two RBs that could actually be good!

3. Adams, Cobb and Jordy are still a solid group, even better with a run game. AR just missed on his deep balls against CAR

4. O line is looking more solidified, if they can stay healthy they can be really good.

5. Defensive line is not a disaster

6. Martinez is the solid ILB we need, unfortunately we need a game changer opposite him

7. CMIII is done, sorry he just is not what he used to be, Perry could be good if he was ever healthy, but we need a stud here.

8. Randall actually looks good, I just threw up in my mouth a little, House is a good nickleback, We really need a STUD to cover top guys, I know everyone wants that but we have the cap space for it.

9. Kick and Punt Return are set and we have studs at Punter and Kicker

10. Safties, with another season and maybe staying healthy, will REALLY help the Pack

What we really need is to fire Capers. His schemes are stale and there are hours and hours and days and days of film on him.

So in the end we need a stud CB, Stud ILB, Pass rushing OLB. That really isnt that big of a deal with the draft and Free Agents.

call_me_ishmael
12-18-2017, 12:44 PM
How many teams have you contacted? Because Nelson's agent will have contacted them all.

In all the years of Thompson, they have done this once with a star player and it was AJ Hawk.

Okay I will concede I would not be surprised if they don't restructure him. Maybe they'll just pay him because they've got the money on the books anyway. I suspect he'll play with the Packers one more year beyond next year, so a new contract. Thus my extension talk.

The point ultimately for me is that Jordy isn't going anywhere, despite him being "done". You just don't get rid of fan favorites.

I think the far more interesting thing is the Packers will pursue a star on D. Suh is that person in my opinion. He or JJ Watt would be the best 3-4 end in the league. He's so fast and strong, but also has the length for the position. I bet he goes to GB or goes back to Detroit.

Tony Oday
12-18-2017, 12:50 PM
F it break the bank and Sign Kam Chancellor, Malcom Butler and Suh and Jimmy Graham and Alshon Jeffrey on Offense ;) Win the offseason!

Edit

Replace Dom with Matt Patricia

Bossman641
12-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Here's something I even hate to type, but is Davante now an injury risk? Obviously the #1 concern is on his health after football, but 3 concussions in 2 years doesn't bode well from a team-building perspective.

Tony Oday
12-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Here's something I even hate to type, but is Davante now an injury risk? Obviously the #1 concern is on his health after football, but 3 concussions in 2 years doesn't bode well from a team-building perspective.

No I dont think he is concussion prone he is just an illegal hit magnet!

MadScientist
12-18-2017, 01:22 PM

No I dont think he is concussion prone he is just an illegal hit magnet!

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how the concussions happened. He's now had 3 in 14 months. That poses a risk going forward. Despite improvements from implementing the concussion protocol, repeated concussions make it easier to have additional concussions. Hard to say how much this will impact his next contract, but I would almost expect that there would have to be some sort of impact.

texaspackerbacker
12-18-2017, 02:46 PM

1. All world QB

3. Adams, Cobb and Jordy are still a solid group, even better with a run game. AR just missed on his deep balls against CAR

4. O line is looking more solidified, if they can stay healthy they can be really good.

6. Martinez is the solid ILB we need, unfortunately we need a game changer opposite him

7. CMIII is done, sorry he just is not what he used to be, Perry could be good if he was ever healthy, but we need a stud here.

8. Randall actually looks good, I just threw up in my mouth a little, House is a good nickleback, We really need a STUD to cover top guys, I know everyone wants that but we have the cap space for it.

10. Safties, with another season and maybe staying healthy, will REALLY help the Pack

What we really need is to fire Capers. His schemes are stale and there are hours and hours and days and days of film on him.

So in the end we need a stud CB, Stud ILB, Pass rushing OLB. That really isnt that big of a deal with the draft and Free Agents.

This is a little bit optimistic, but not far off.

I still say our O Line at best is a little bit below average even when healthy, and at worst, stinks. I'm coming around to the point of view that Adams is a keeper, not just looking good because of Rodgers. Ideally, he's our #2 and we get a superstar #1 receiver, but Santa hasn't been coming to town on draft day around here for a long time. I'd like to see us keep Cobb for less money. Nelson, though, doesn't seem to be able to get separation anymore at all. He should be cut or kept for way less money and replaced as a starter.

Matthews is now substandard as an OLB. However, I still think he could be decent paired up with Martinez at ILB. Perry, Brooks, Fackrell, and Biegel, like so many Packers, seem like decent average NFL players, but not the kind of stud playmaker we ideally should have at OLB.

As for Corner, I've said before, several of them including King, seem like adequate 2nd or 3rd Corners. We just don't have a clear #1 shutdown guy. King might turn into that, but I wouldn't bet on it. Safeties, I agree, might snap back - it's worth the risk.

Not a word there about Tight End. Kendrick is pure crap - get rid of him; R. Rodgers is better, but really just back up quality. It would be a total departure from Ted Thompson's way, but I want him to after Jimmy Graham. A TE like him with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him would be spectacular. That and draft somebody maybe 3rd or 4th round for the future.

We've tried twice now with very limited success at drafting a Corner early. I also hope (without any serious expectation) that Ted would sign a top quality Corner - not just somebody's reject. If we had that top flight Corner and a better pass rush, our Safeties would seem a lot better real quick.

I'd like to see our top draft pick go for that stud OLB.

I don't know what would solve the O Line mess. It's impractical to replace them all. You use the draft, and it's both a crap shoot and takes time to develop a guy. Maybe Spriggs can still grow into starter quality - I wouldn't bet on that either. I'd like to see maybe the 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks or something like that used for O Line - big bruisers, not these smaller mobile types like Spriggs.

Last but not least, I say again, it would be stupid to get rid of Capers. The problems are NOT because of him; They are in spite of his scheming, which I see as not stale, just lacking decent personnel, and the only thing preventing our D from being a whole lot shittier than it is.

denverYooper
12-18-2017, 04:34 PM
I have a hard time seeing them sign Suh since they already have Daniels and an ascending Kenny Clark.

Smidgeon
12-18-2017, 05:27 PM
I have a hard time seeing them sign Suh since they already have Daniels and an ascending Kenny Clark.

I don't see it either. But could you imagine a line with all three of them on it? From a talent standpoint, awesome. From an attitude standpoint, cool. From a "he might get suspended because he's doing stupid stuff", no thanks.

Joemailman
12-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't matter how the concussions happened. He's now had 3 in 14 months. That poses a risk going forward. Despite improvements from implementing the concussion protocol, repeated concussions make it easier to have additional concussions. Hard to say how much this will impact his next contract, but I would almost expect that there would have to be some sort of impact.

The good news so far is that he has recovered pretty quickly from his concussions. Shields got to the point that his concussion symptoms weren't going away. Hopefully Adams' luck will improve. Those 2 hits this year probably would have given anybody a concussion.

RashanGary
12-18-2017, 05:38 PM
I see us letting Burnett go. Jones is gonna be our ILB/S hybrid player. Brice and Dix are our safeties. Whitehead backs them up.

RashanGary
12-18-2017, 05:40 PM
I could see us letting Nelson go too. Just cut him. Adams/Cobb/Allison and a draft pick would be good. We don’t need to waste money on a so/so declining player.

RashanGary
12-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Bring House back on a two year deal.
Develop King and Hawkins further. Both look good.
Randall is our slot guy
Find some new developmental guys and maybe a draft pick

RashanGary
12-18-2017, 05:44 PM
I’d let Bulaga go too. Spriggs is getting better. I like Murphy more. Either way, Bulaga is never healthy and he’s paid too much. Use that on Adams and Dix.

Rutnstrut
12-18-2017, 10:49 PM
I get people being optimistic that GB now has some decent RB's. But it doesn't matter. As stubby proved yesterday, he will refuse to utilize them.

call_me_ishmael
12-18-2017, 10:54 PM

Different positions IMO, in the 3-4 at least. Daniels is squatty and doesn't really have a position. Kenny Clark is an NT. Suh is long, he's 6'4" and would look great opposite Dean Lowry.

Bretsky
12-18-2017, 10:56 PM
I’d let Bulaga go too. Spriggs is getting better. I like Murphy more. Either way, Bulaga is never healthy and he’s paid too much. Use that on Adams and Dix.

Spriggs has weet from Terrible to Really bad. He's a guy who doesn't belong yet

call_me_ishmael
12-18-2017, 11:03 PM
I have not watched the Packers much this year (my kids are always running around during games so I gotta watch them) but has Kyler Fackrell shown anything at all or any reason to believe he could become a solid starter?

Bossman641
12-18-2017, 11:14 PM
I have not watched the Packers much this year (my kids are always running around during games so I gotta watch them) but has Kyler Fackrell shown anything at all or any reason to believe he could become a solid starter?

He's flashed more than previously but not nearly enough to make you think he'd be a solid starter.

bobblehead
12-18-2017, 11:25 PM

What game were you watching?

Smidgeon
12-18-2017, 11:43 PM
The good news so far is that he has recovered pretty quickly from his concussions. Shields got to the point that his concussion symptoms weren't going away. Hopefully Adams' luck will improve. Those 2 hits this year probably would have given anybody a concussion.

I had a rugby player friend in college. In two years, he got eight concussions. All eight went away pretty quickly. But the ninth he got when he stepped backwards off a curb. It took over nine months to clear.

You never know which one will be the one that takes forever to heal.

woodbuck27
12-19-2017, 12:11 AM
My golly but the Green Bay Packer are in a mess.

On Offense

It starts with protecting the QB and the ball and the OL.

TT has to get help for the OL and most likely that will be via the draft but that's new blood and there has to be n more and 'Good Luck' and Adversity.

Let Tackle Brian Bulaga go ( $ cost $ and reward). He won't make any other NFL Team and last. He's hugely injury prone.

We are looking decent at the RB Position. Good things developed there this Season with legitimate RB Prospects Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Ty Montgomery is a WR.

Sadly WR Jordy Nelson is at the end of the line as a NO. 1 WR. He's lost that step. I'm not sure how TT might keep him in Green Bay because it's always now coming down to the money. I'm concerned about WR Davante Adams as well. Damn that man gets banged and his end is close and concussions. Randall Cobb showed us he still has game this Season. The Guy is still 'a Baller'. TT has to find a real NO. 1 WR prospect again and the Draft will be his way.

TE ... well that experiment sure failed. Richard Rodgers hahaha is ' last Man standing. ' TT has to find a ohh shit hahahah..... a decent TE to go with Richard Rodgers. WOW ! Same Ole Same OLe and the TE position and Ted Thompson. He got it decent with Cooks last Season and pushed him out the door.

On Defense:

The Packers still lack a decent or really consistent Pass rush.

The game is about A) a legit Franchise QB. B) Winning the battle in the Trenches. C) Having a solid Pass rush. D) a solid Secondary and Pass Protect. E) Winning the Turn Over Battle F) Having Solid Special Teams. G) Having Good Luck in terms of Adversity.

CM III is done. He doesn't even make decent commercials. So we need more again at LBer and Pass Rush.

I don't like what we have at The CB position.

We need a 'legitimate Shutdown' CB.

not at all impressed with NO. 23 Damarious 'Can't turn his head' Randall. I hope that NO. 20 Kevin King develops in his Sophomore Season.

We are decent at the two Safety, FS and SS Positions.

That's a BIG Load of work to concentrate on and fix. A whole lot has to go right next Season or the Packers miss the Playoffs for two Seasons in a row.

GO PACK GO !

Bossman641
12-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Randall has been the best cb we've had all year. I know he's rubbed some people the wrong way in the past but anyone knocking him for his play this year hasn't been paying attention. I wish we had 2 more Randalls in the secondary.

Tony Oday
12-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Randall plated well late. I honestly forgot about the walking injury named King.

mraynrand
12-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Randall plated well late.

did he have a broken bone repaired too?

mraynrand
12-19-2017, 09:27 AM
My golly but the Green Bay Packer are in a mess.

On Offense

It starts with protecting the QB and the ball and the OL.

TT has to get help for the OL and most likely that will be via the draft but that's new blood and there has to be n more and 'Good Luck' and Adversity.

Let Tackle Brian Bulaga go ( $ cost $ and reward). He won't make any other NFL Team and last. He's hugely injury prone.

We are looking decent at the RB Position. Good things developed there this Season with legitimate RB Prospects Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Ty Montgomery is a WR.

Sadly WR Jordy Nelson is at the end of the line as a NO. 1 WR. He's lost that step. I'm not sure how TT might keep him in Green Bay because it's always now coming down to the money. I'm concerned about WR Davante Adams as well. Damn that man gets banged and his end is close and concussions. Randall Cobb showed us he still has game this Season. The Guy is still 'a Baller'. TT has to find a real NO. 1 WR prospect again and the Draft will be his way.

TE ... well that experiment sure failed. Richard Rodgers hahaha is ' last Man standing. ' TT has to find a ohh shit hahahah..... a decent TE to go with Richard Rodgers. WOW ! Same Ole Same OLe and the TE position and Ted Thompson. He got it decent with Cooks last Season and pushed him out the door.

On Defense:

The Packers still lack a decent or really consistent Pass rush.

The game is about A) a legit Franchise QB. B) Winning the battle in the Trenches. C) Having a solid Pass rush. D) a solid Secondary and Pass Protect. E) Winning the Turn Over Battle F) Having Solid Special Teams. G) Having Good Luck in terms of Adversity.

CM III is done. He doesn't even make decent commercials. So we need more again at LBer and Pass Rush.

I don't like what we have at The CB position.

We need a 'legitimate Shutdown' CB.

not at all impressed with NO. 23 Damarious 'Can't turn his head' Randall. I hope that NO. 20 Kevin King develops in his Sophomore Season.

We are decent at the two Safety, FS and SS Positions.

That's a BIG Load of work to concentrate on and fix. A whole lot has to go right next Season or the Packers miss the Playoffs for two Seasons in a row.

GO PACK GO !

Welcome to the offseason, Packerrats gameday thread style.

denverYooper
12-19-2017, 06:49 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRbRgkDXUAASg30.jpg

mraynrand
12-19-2017, 10:29 PM
^^^^^ ?

Bretsky
12-19-2017, 10:34 PM
The offseason is what we have to look forward to

Pugger
12-19-2017, 11:46 PM

1. All world QB

I would add that we need a TE that can stretch the field. RichRod and Kendricks are JAGs.

George Cumby
12-20-2017, 10:56 PM
I'm looking forward to the headline: "Packers sack entire training staff for gross incompetence."

bobblehead
12-22-2017, 07:00 AM
I get people being optimistic that GB now has some decent RB's. But it doesn't matter. As stubby proved yesterday, he will refuse to utilize them.

Can't even argue with you. WTF stubby, utilize the run game so we aren't so predictable.

Pugger
12-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Can't even argue with you. WTF stubby, utilize the run game so we aren't so predictable.

Does Stubby abandon the run game when Hundley is in there? I strongly suspect Rodgers changes the plays at the LOS more often than we think. Mike probably doesn't mind too much because it doesn't hurt to put the ball into the hands of your best player.

pbmax
12-22-2017, 08:48 AM
^^^^^ ?

Older, experienced types being reborn.

Retreads.

pbmax
12-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Does Stubby abandon the run game when Hundley is in there? I strongly suspect Rodgers changes the plays at the LOS more often than we think. Mike probably doesn't mind too much because it doesn't hurt to put the ball into the hands of your best player.

Yep. Rodgers is at a minimum readying who is ready to drop into the box (or is there already).

6? Run

7? Could be either, would actually like to see more runs here with the new backs. BTW, the new back should be Jones most of the time.

8? Pass baby pass.

Now this produces some weird results. Browns were throwing everyone into the box so Hundley was being asked to pass. Its the reverse with Rodgers. but you don't want to be predictable, so you want to have some run call against 7 in the box at least. If they put fewer than that in there, good luck stopping them.

Guiness
12-22-2017, 10:06 AM

Rather surprised at the lack of "Hawk was a what???" responses.

pbmax
12-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Rather surprised at the lack of "Hawk was a what???" responses.

Good observation. He was at least paid like a star.

Guiness
12-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Good observation. He was at least paid like a star.

He was paid like a #5 draft pick before the last CBA. His second contract was pretty rich too though, iirc. $5m/year I think?