PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 16 vs. Vikings

pbmax
12-23-2017, 10:28 PM
So how many draft positions did this loss move us up?

Necessary reset or embarrassing failure to compete by Football Admin? All depends on results of draft now. They really shut it down with talent. No Rodgers, no Matthews and Perry.

House did play.

Allison and Spriggs (knee) were lost during game.

mraynrand
12-23-2017, 10:42 PM
The overall strategy makes sense to me: flood the field with scrubs, have them play all out to win. If they win, it's a fantastic miracle, but most likely they lose and you improve draft position. It's win, win, win, win: rest injured starters, play scrubs for experience, still play all out to win, improve draft position. Only the 'fans in the stands' get the short end of the stick.

QBME
12-23-2017, 10:45 PM
Don't know exactly where this belong's but....Brett Hundley is not the answer for any question. Especially the one that queries 'can you chew gum and play quarterback at the same time?'.

mraynrand
12-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Don't know exactly where this belong's but....Brett Hundley is not the answer for any question. Especially the one that queries 'can you chew gum and play quarterback at the same time?'.

Having both accuracy and vision downfield be in question is not a good MO for an NFL QB.

texaspackerbacker
12-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Well, I suppose the haters and whiners are gonna hate and whine, same as always, about Hundley and the Capers D. Fuck that.

Capers put together a more than adequate Defense out of spare parts - and the first stringers are not all that hot. And Hundley played a damn good game, considering the lame-assed receivers couldn't get open for shit and couldn't catch the ball when Hundley put it in their hands. You detractors can piss all over Hundley all you want, but he's a damn sight better QB than Case Keenum.

Damn the fucking officials for all the missed interference calls - while calling one that was less flagrant on the Packers.

Damn McCarthy for doing such a shitty job of play calling - 4th and 3, why the hell not just throw a safe pass for a first down like the one piece-of-shit Kendricks just dropped? Why the hell not run for a first on 4th and 1 with the 2 minute warning coming anyway? Why AGAIN wait until desperation time to actually unleash Hundley and start throwing it down field?

red
12-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Only the 'fans in the stands' get the short end of the stick.

you know what, screw them too

i just got a text from my friend who was at the game, he fucking won packers legends cruise tickets

mraynrand
12-23-2017, 10:58 PM
Well, I suppose the haters and whiners are gonna hate and whine, same as always, about Hundley and the Capers D. Fuck that.

Capers put together a more than adequate Defense out of spare parts - and the first stringers are not all that hot. And Hundley played a damn good game, considering the lame-assed receivers couldn't get open for shit and couldn't catch the ball when Hundley put it in their hands. You detractors can piss all over Hundley all you want, but he's a damn sight better QB than Case Keenum.

Damn the fucking officials for all the missed interference calls - while calling one that was less flagrant on the Packers.

Damn McCarthy for doing such a shitty job of play calling - 4th and 3, why the hell not just throw a safe pass for a first down like the one piece-of-shit Kendricks just dropped? Why the hell not run for a first on 4th and 1 with the 2 minute warning coming anyway? Why AGAIN wait until desperation time to actually unleash Hundley and start throwing it down field?

I know, right? And the Patriots almost beat the Bears in that Superbowl too.

red
12-23-2017, 11:02 PM
https://assets.change.org/photos/0/il/hb/JtiLHBusJVHsCjM-800x450-noPad.jpg?1489163957

red
12-23-2017, 11:06 PM
one thing to think about

if spriggs tore an ACL he won't be ready for camp and pre season at least

meaning there goes the backup plan for letting bulaga go

QBME
12-23-2017, 11:12 PM

Dude, pop a chill pill.

Granted, Dom's defense did a respectable job against a third string QB playing for everything away from home.

On offense we got blanked. Own it. Zip, zero, nuthin'. Leaders lead. Pretenders pretend.

Bretsky
12-23-2017, 11:17 PM
one thing to think about

if spriggs tore an ACL he won't be ready for camp and pre season at least

meaning there goes the backup plan for letting bulaga go

Seriously...if Spriggs was our plan we're screwed

Pugger
12-23-2017, 11:33 PM
I thought this was gonna be worse when I saw how many starters were out and how others kept dropping like flies. If MN expects Keenum to take them to the SB they are in for a let down. If they can't score more than 16 points against our shitty defense they are in big trouble. :-) I got damn weary of Collinsworth talking him up like he was the second coming of Tom Brady. This season can't end soon enough....

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2017, 11:45 PM
You detractors can piss all over Hundley all you want, but he's a damn sight better QB than Case Keenum.

Keenum is an accurate passer.

MadScientist
12-24-2017, 02:54 AM
You detractors can piss all over Hundley all you want, but he's a damn sight better QB than Case Keenum.

Hundley's rating was in Rich Campbell territory. I barely watched any of the game, but every time I looked, he was missing guys. I don't know what the cause of it is, but he can't throw downfield worth shit. I wouldn't object if they just cut bait on him in the off season. If they could get a 7th from Cleveland for him they should jump on it. Callahan might suck too, but at this point what do they have to loose by playing him?

Maxie the Taxi
12-24-2017, 05:28 AM
The overall strategy makes sense to me: flood the field with scrubs, have them play all out to win. If they win, it's a fantastic miracle, but most likely they lose and you improve draft position. It's win, win, win, win: rest injured starters, play scrubs for experience, still play all out to win, improve draft position. Only the 'fans in the stands' get the short end of the stick."Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

mraynrand
12-24-2017, 06:52 AM
"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=219&dateline=1514091480

ThunderDan
12-24-2017, 07:49 AM

Only Tex would think 17-40 for 130 yards, 0 tds and 2 ints and leading the O to zero points is a damn good game.

mraynrand
12-24-2017, 07:59 AM
Only Tex would think 17-40 for 130 yards, 0 tds and 2 ints and leading the O to zero points is a damn good game.

I think Tex imbibes in some exceptional drugs.

pbmax
12-24-2017, 08:00 AM

I agree. His throws downfield were a mystery as to aim. Even Captain Amazing Janis couldn't get to one of them.

pbmax
12-24-2017, 08:12 AM
You have to read Tex from start to finish though, and wade through the initial burst of "up is down" -ism.

Capers Defensive unit put on a pretty good display without its two best pass rushers, without a starting CB and with Clark sitting for most of the second half.

Clark was Grade A when he was out on the field. From the NT position, he has 4.5 sacks, most of them in December. Gilbert was strong enough to walk the tackle back to the QB and Fackrell has been taking lessons from Perry on how to hold an edge.

The run defense even in 2-4 nickel holds up well. wist aside, Ponch, Jon, Biegel and Kyler (plus Quinton Dial) are pretty staunch runs defenders. Remember Ted stocking Dom up with lineman who could play run D? Dial, RJF? They did not need RJF with Arms Lowry developing and Dial was very nice as a backup NT.

Whoever are coaching on D next year, I expect this defense to make a jump. It can defend the run and has some nice pieces in the backend for pass defense. They need pass rushers and a scheme that does not take until the ball is snapped to get right.

Stats on their pass D are realistic, because teams wanted to pass and did. And teams with mediocre QBs were successful too. But teams also had the lead and the run D held up pretty well, even if it wasn't tested as much as the pass D.

The combo of giving up big plays and no pass rush was deadly.

I don't know what to make of being 20th in points. The offense wasn't pressing other teams to outscore them, so I tend to think the number is deflated. None of the other situational stats is good, like 3rd downs or red zone.

Teamcheez1
12-24-2017, 08:27 AM
Demovsky on Hundley:

He set the record for pass attempts at home without a touchdown (162) in a single season, according to Elias. Along the way, he threw his third red zone interception this season, tied with Dak Prescott for the second-most in the NFL. Only DeShone Kizer (six) has thrown more red zone picks,

pbmax
12-24-2017, 08:39 AM
On Twitter replay, Davis' lack of effort is even worse.

https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/944770835482595328

pbmax
12-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Spoon puts on his angry hat: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2017/12/24/silverstein-packers-loyalty-brett-hundley-misguided/978504001/

Now that FA spending spree everyone was amazed at all offseason? It was nothing new, just replacing FA losses like Patler said. Forget all the articles about Ted changing! We didn't mean it.

Unfortunately, no acknowledgment of the irony of mentioning Taysom Hill's preseason performance AND criticizing the decision to stick with Hundley. Captain Special Teams is obviously the best QB 3rd string has ever had.

pbmax
12-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Capers Defensive unit put on a pretty good display without its two best pass rushers, without a starting CB and with Clark sitting for most of the second half.

Randall was out too. So 1 of 3 starting CBs available.

pbmax
12-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Josh Jones got hurt last night.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde

#Packers official post-game injury report:
Spriggs (knee, did not return)
Nelson (shoulder, did not return)
A. Jones (knee, did not return)
R. Rodgers (shoulder, did not return)
J. Jones (shoulder, then returned, then knee injury, did not return)

red
12-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Seriously...if Spriggs was our plan we're screwed

oh i completely agree

but a lot of folks on here seem to think that he's ready to replace bulaga

red
12-24-2017, 09:30 AM
I thought this was gonna be worse when I saw how many starters were out and how others kept dropping like flies. If MN expects Keenum to take them to the SB they are in for a let down. If they can't score more than 16 points against our shitty defense they are in big trouble. :-) I got damn weary of Collinsworth talking him up like he was the second coming of Tom Brady. This season can't end soon enough....

it was also 10 degrees at kickoff. no clue what the windchill was. and the field was shit

the queens aren't gonna play in conditions that bad again this season

pbmax
12-24-2017, 10:51 AM
oh i completely agree

You can never have just one player as a plan. But he was one of the plan.

Harlan Huckleby
12-24-2017, 11:02 AM
On Twitter replay, Davis' lack of effort is even worse.

https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/944770835482595328

Either he lost ball in lights or he was paid off by Vikings.

The game was rigged.

mraynrand
12-24-2017, 11:05 AM
You can never have just one player as a plan. But he was one of the plan.

They have Murphy and will draft another tackle. Problem solved, until they both get injured.

mraynrand
12-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Josh Jones got hurt last night.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde

#Packers official post-game injury report:
Spriggs (knee, did not return)
Nelson (shoulder, did not return)
A. Jones (knee, did not return)
R. Rodgers (shoulder, did not return)
J. Jones (shoulder, then returned, then knee injury, did not return)

It would be easier just to have a list of the uninjured players

Rutnstrut
12-24-2017, 11:12 AM
I think Tex imbibes in some exceptional drugs.

Tex must mix a little something special in with his Packer kool-Aid.

mraynrand
12-24-2017, 12:05 PM

I bet they induce a catatonic state

Rutnstrut
12-24-2017, 01:10 PM
I bet they induce a catatonic state

That's just the game day tonic that TT drinks that does that to him. You should see what his special draft day elixir does. Well I guess we all have.

George Cumby
12-24-2017, 01:39 PM

He slips himself a roofie and then loves his own asshole.

denverYooper
12-24-2017, 01:44 PM
M3 noted in his presser that Hundley didn't grade out well but he didn't get much help outside of the OL and Williams. Specifically called out 7 drops and an injury to R. Rodgers as significant factors. Noted that Hundley had to play uphill often.

pbmax
12-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
From last night: #Packers RB Aaron Jones will have an MRI but his knee injury isn't believed to be serious. They await word on OT Jason Spriggs and TE Richard Rodgers.

pbmax
12-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
McCarthy on IR issue with Rodgers: I don't see any issue. My understanding is we went through all the procedures and guidelines of putting a player on IR.

McCarthy on Spriggs: It's a serious injury.

McCarthy said on Spriggs, we have to get him where we need him to, start the rehab process. How long it's going to take, we're still working through that.

McCarthy asked about why not pulling Hundley for Joe Callahan:: I did not lose confidence in Brett Hundley. Every game has challenges. No excuses. He was challenged. He's played better. There was a lot going on around him.

McCarthy on Nelson and R. Rodgers: Going through process of scans.

McCarthy said Aaron Jones suffered a similar injury to the knee sprain he had earlier in the year only to the other knee. Would be an MCL sprain then. Generally, doesn't require surgery.

McCarthy on QB: Brett Hundley will be our QB when we get back here.

McCarthy on game: We had seven dropped balls. Brett has things he needs to improve on, particularly with the decision-making. We had a lot of people in and out of there on the perimeter and we didn't deal with that well.

McCarthy said he has no interest in getting a guy on the field to throw him the ball. Said preseason is over. He wants to win a game.

McCarthy on Damarious Randall: He had a knee, was dealing with it all week. He was not medically cleared.

McCarthy said the offensive line played particularly well.

I ACTUALLY AGREE ON THAT LAST POINT

red
12-24-2017, 02:35 PM
So let’s say all 7 of those passes would have been caught, what does that give us, another 14 yards of total offense?

bobblehead
12-24-2017, 02:41 PM
I agree. His throws downfield were a mystery as to aim. Even Captain Amazing Janis couldn't get to one of them.

He looked like my wife at the gun range. The bonus is I get to reuse all my targets.

Harlan Huckleby
12-24-2017, 03:03 PM
McCarthy asked about why not pulling Hundley for Joe Callahan:: I did not lose confidence in Brett Hundley. Every game has challenges. No excuses. He was challenged. He's played better. There was a lot going on around him.

That doesn't answer the question.
Or maybe it does. Answer is "I only remove a QB if the guy needs to be cut immediately."

mraynrand
12-24-2017, 03:14 PM
M3 noted in his presser that Hundley didn't grade out well but he didn't get much help outside of the OL and Williams. Specifically called out 7 drops and an injury to R. Rodgers as significant factors. Noted that Hundley had to play uphill often.

Right. Hundley never throws to Oven Mitts.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2017, 03:38 AM
Silverstein nails it
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2017/12/24/silverstein-packers-loyalty-brett-hundley-misguided/978504001/

McCarthy stubbornly stands behind a backup quarterback who through eight starts plays like he’s a hologram programmed only to do two things: scramble and throw the ball away out of bounds and overthrow receivers running deep...

If McCarthy had bothered to look around and see the body language of some of his players as Hundley continually refused to maneuver inside the pocket or spot open receivers when he did leave the pocket, he would have seen a defeated team...

When Hundley failed to produce a point after two series in the third quarter, McCarthy owed it to his team to at least see what third-string quarterback Joe Callahan could do.

mraynrand
12-26-2017, 05:17 AM
Silverstein nails it
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2017/12/24/silverstein-packers-loyalty-brett-hundley-misguided/978504001/

I didn't bother to read it after that quote. What did the genius say about the dispiriting effects of the drops and the Lowry arms of the receiver in the end zone who had never seen the field before Saturday night?

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
Packers T Jason Spriggs' injury is a dislocated left kneecap but won't need surgery. He should be ready for the start of OTAs in the spring. That's far better than an ACL tear as first feared. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0737785642259323598-4 …

3:36 PM - Dec 27, 2017

woodbuck27
12-28-2017, 09:14 AM
Silverstein nails it

https://sportsdemotivation.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/matt-ludtke.jpg

bobblehead
12-30-2017, 12:12 PM
oh i completely agree

On the IR maybe.