PDA

View Full Version : current defensive players in a 4-3

red
12-25-2017, 06:27 PM
i started thinking about this last night

IF..... we fire cpaers, or he retires, do we keep the 3-4 or do we switch to the 4-3

if we switch to the 4-3, what do we need to get?

the secondary won't change much, so that leaves us with the front 7

with daniels,clark and lowrey, we seem pretty set at DT. perry would make one good DE

clays getting a little slow to play OLB in a 4-3, and is a bit small to play DE. is he just a situational pass rusher along with beigel?

ponch and john play what 2 positions at LB? who is the 3rd

thoughts? who can play where?

Joemailman
12-25-2017, 08:40 PM
The DE position would be the biggest concern. I suspect though the Packers would stay with the 3-4.

Zool
12-26-2017, 10:18 PM
I had this same thought when they drafted Perry. Clark would make the transition easier, and most teams don’t play base all the time anyway.

I don’t care what system they run so long as it’s not this fucking matchup zone where they forget to switch off on crossing routes.

mraynrand
12-26-2017, 10:21 PM
I don’t care what system they run so long as it’s not this fucking matchup zone where they forget to switch off on crossing routes.

Preach it!

pbmax
12-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Six years in the NFL and the Rats are still trying to play Perry as a down lineman.

denverYooper
12-27-2017, 09:24 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSAxMIBX0AYtOY2.jpg:medium

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Six years in the NFL and the Rats are still trying to play Perry as a down lineman.

If the Packers hire a DC who runs a 4-3, isn't that Perry's future?

Zool
12-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Wasn't that also his projected best fit coming out of college?

pbmax
12-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Maybe. But six years in are you going to be excited about a position switch?

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Maybe. But six years in are you going to be excited about a position switch?

Maybe. My recollection is that Perry prior to the draft let it be known he preferred to end up in a 4-3 defense. He added weight prior to the Combine to try to convince teams he could carry the weight necessary to play DE while still maintaining quickness. It seems to me the biggest difference between Perry in a 3-4 and Perry in a 4-3 is that in a 4-3 he wouldn't be asked to drop into coverage as much. Unlike some guys asked to make a switch like this, Perry plays the run well enough to do it.

pbmax
12-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Maybe. My recollection is that Perry prior to the draft let it be known he preferred to end up in a 4-3 defense. He added weight prior to the Combine to try to convince teams he could carry the weight necessary to play DE while still maintaining quickness. It seems to me the biggest difference between Perry in a 3-4 and Perry in a 4-3 is that in a 4-3 he wouldn't be asked to drop into coverage as much. Unlike some guys asked to make a switch like this, Perry plays the run well enough to do it.

His comments have always been blown out of proportion, there is at least one thread which details what he actually said, which was that he was going off info he had prior to the draft.

He prepped for the 4-3 DE because that was what most teams were looking at him for, it wasn't necessarily his preference.

If he truly wanted to be a down lineman, he would not have signed two extensions with the Packers.

Would he do it? Sure. But like Kampman, he might not be happy. That shouldn't stop the Packers from making the move if a better DC candidate wants to be 4-3, but you shouldn't do it counting on Perry to be enthusiastic or improve.

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 11:59 AM
His comments have always been blown out of proportion, there is at least one thread which details what he actually said, which was that he was going off info he had prior to the draft.

He prepped for the 4-3 DE because that was what most teams were looking at him for, it wasn't necessarily his preference.

If he truly wanted to be a down lineman, he would not have signed two extensions with the Packers.

Would he do it? Sure. But like Kampman, he might not be happy. That shouldn't stop the Packers from making the move if a better DC candidate wants to be 4-3, but you shouldn't do it counting on Perry to be enthusiastic or improve.

Perry is a professional. He will do his job even if he isn't crazy about the move initially. Enthusiasm will come with team success, I believe. No player wants to be a part of the type of defense the Packers had this year.

Carolina_Packer
12-27-2017, 12:24 PM
If most teams are in sub-packages more than base, whether 3-4 or 4-3, then schematically, what is their any difference between nickel or dime subs that is run by a 3-4 based team vs. a 4-3 based team?

Zool
12-27-2017, 12:36 PM
If most teams are in sub-packages more than base, whether 3-4 or 4-3, then schematically, what is their any difference between nickel or dime subs that is run by a 3-4 based team vs. a 4-3 based team?

(Que Wist and PB discussion again)

When you're secondary is as leaky as the Packers, it probably matters little.

pbmax
12-27-2017, 02:06 PM

It can change who you remove to go to nickel. But in Matthews and Perry's case, it mainly would change who is in coverage. Matthews would be in more coverage likely.

pbmax
12-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Perry is a professional. He will do his job even if he isn't crazy about the move initially. Enthusiasm will come with team success, I believe. No player wants to be a part of the type of defense the Packers had this year.

Do you think Clay wants to be a SOLB?

Would be rushing the passer a bit less, and in coverage more. Given his usage pattern the last two seasons, would not be as big a change as from earlier in career.

pbmax
12-27-2017, 02:24 PM
The answer to the original question by red, is that you hire the best DC you can and you get him personnel to fit his scheme. No matter if its 4-3, 3-4 or the Chupacabra defense.

Even at its best this unit was outside the Top 10 in all but one of the last six years (2015 I think).

mraynrand
12-27-2017, 02:25 PM
It can change who you remove to go to nickel. But in Matthews and Perry's case, it mainly would change who is in coverage. Matthews would be in more coverage likely.

Since he never plays, I can't say I recall for sure, but I don't think they ask Perry to cover all that much. Maybe as a surprise change of pace, but the last time I recall him actually covering a tight end or running back on anything but a route to the flat was maybe 2013.

red
12-27-2017, 04:54 PM
The answer to the original question by red, is that you hire the best DC you can and you get him personnel to fit his scheme. No matter if its 4-3, 3-4 or the Chupacabra defense.

Even at its best this unit was outside the Top 10 in all but one of the last six years (2015 I think).

You didn’t answer my question though, you just restated it

If the best DC is a 4-3 guy, then what would we need to go get?

When we switched to the 3-4 we needed a NT and an OLB, we drafted rank and clay right away

What do we have to do if we switch back, or does everyone thing the guys we have can make the switch? Does anyone think maybe Lowry could play DE? Can clay even cover?

I would love it if we could get pressure withought sending an all out blitz, I get envious when other themes can get constant pressure with just their front 4. I wanted the switch to the 3-4 originally, but it hasn’t come close to working the way I thought it would

mraynrand
12-27-2017, 05:02 PM
^ You would probably need a DE and a speedy LB

Joemailman
12-27-2017, 05:32 PM
I would think RDE and Will are the 2 positions they don't have right now if they switch to a 4-3.