PDA

View Full Version : "SALARY CAP GROWTH EASES RISK"---JS

Bretsky
12-27-2017, 08:05 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/12/26/silverstein-salary-cap-growth-eases-packers-free-agency-risk/980867001/

Some nice points in here and some compliments, and criticisms, of the untouchable one

woodbuck27
12-28-2017, 01:11 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/12/26/silverstein-salary-cap-growth-eases-packers-free-agency-risk/980867001/

Some nice points in here and some compliments, and criticisms, of the untouchable one

It's right here and FAcy and it's 'not Rocket Science'. It's all in simply getting really busy and all in at the start of FAcy and making a key move (s). No more TT and shitting the bed.: :whaa:

The Green Bay Packers have 39 players under contract for 2018 (cost according to sources = $145 million).

They will carry over $10 million (leftover cap space from 2017) and thus will have an adjusted cap number of around $187 million after adding the Cap increase of $10 Million for this year.

All that adds up to about $42 million in salary-cap room.

The Packers might decide to make Aaron Rodgers the highest-paid player in the NFL again. The Packers can make his salary-cap number 'go down', if they structure his new contract to enable that.

They might have to spend $17 million using the franchise tag on receiver Davante Adams, but they might eventually will sign him to a long-term deal that will spread the cap obligation out over multiple years.

Other FA's center Corey Linsley, TE Richard Rodgers, S Morgan Burnett and CB Davon House might be signed and none should require blockbuster deals.

The bottom line is that they can afford to sign free agents to bolster their talent level.

This offseason the CB FA class is going to be pretty good.

WR is strong. It depends on how many players re-sign before electing free agency.

Packer GM Thompson can’t sulk because the Martellus Bennett deal didn’t work out.

" He has a team that is desperate for more talent and needs to stop sitting on its hands in free agency if it wants to do more than ride Rodgers’ coattails. "

Teamcheez1
12-28-2017, 04:42 PM
I think the real question is what they plan to do with Nelson, Cobb, Matthews, and Bulaga.

They will count a combined $45M against the cap on their current salaries ($8M would be dead money in 2018 if all 4 were released, Bulaga an additional $1.6M for 2019).

Bretsky
12-28-2017, 06:04 PM
I think the real question is what they plan to do with Nelson, Cobb, Matthews, and Bulaga.

They will count a combined $45M against the cap on their current salaries ($8M would be dead money in 2018 if all 4 were released, Bulaga an additional $1.6M for 2019).

Of the three Bulaga plays at a high level and Cobb is still young. Jorday IMO will take a pay cut. Unsure of the other 2. How much are we paying Bulaga ? POLL anybody ?

Joemailman
12-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Of the three Bulaga plays at a high level and Cobb is still young. Jorday IMO will take a pay cut. Unsure of the other 2. How much are we paying Bulaga ? POLL anybody ?

Cobb's cap hit in 2018 is 12.75 million.(3.25 million signing bonus), Jordy 12.55 million (2.3 million), Bulaga 8.35 million (3.2 million signing bonus over 2 years). I agree that Bulaga is still a top RT when healthy, unless the latest injury changes that. Cobb is overpaid, but could still be highly effective if Packers had a deep threat teams had to worry about. Jordy is looking like Donald Driver at the end of his career.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2017, 07:00 PM
I want them to sign Jimmy Graham. Having a top of the line TE with Aaron Rodgers throwing would be fantastic. Ideally, we would also have a GM who would go out and get a top flight pass rushing OLB and/or a shutdown Corner, using the #1 draft pick to get the other of those. We would seem to have plenty of cap space to make all that possible.

I'd like to see them keep Davante Adams, but not with a $17 million cap number. That's A.J. Green or Julio Jones money, and Adams is not that good.

Clay Matthews may have lost a step at OLB, but I think if he was talked into it, he could still be outstanding as an ILB paired with Martinez.

I really don't think Bulaga is a "top RT" or even an adequate one, even those rare times he is healthy. He ain't worth the cap hit.

Jordy Nelson also is not, and probably not Cobb either. A large part of Ted's problem is paying that kind of money to people no longer worth it. You could get a lot more quality in a lot of areas using that money in free agency - IMO.

gbgary
12-28-2017, 07:30 PM
the cap's gone up every year so this is funny.

mraynrand
12-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Do the Packers have a higher cap than other teams?

call_me_ishmael
12-28-2017, 10:30 PM
There is a zero percent chance Bulaga gets cut now due to Spriggs being out the entire off-season. And this is from the guy who was talking about how this would be Bulaga's last year on the Packers as early as last season!

The Spriggs injury really kills us because OT is now a top 2-3 positional need when they desperately need new receivers, pass rushers, speed linebackers and corners.

pbmax
12-29-2017, 07:03 AM
There is a zero percent chance Bulaga gets cut now due to Spriggs being out the entire off-season. And this is from the guy who was talking about how this would be Bulaga's last year on the Packers as early as last season!

The Spriggs injury really kills us because OT is now a top 2-3 positional need when they desperately need new receivers, pass rushers, speed linebackers and corners.

Spriggs should be available for OTAs with his kneecap injury. At least that was the early prognosis I read.

pbmax
12-29-2017, 07:18 AM
OK, gave this me time but same couple of thoughts:

1. Not using every dollar each year allows you to sign more of your own the next year. It made TJ Lang affordable until the Lions went nuts with guaranteed money. The $10 mil mentioned will be used to sign both Adams (this offseason) and Rodgers (soon).

2. Cap space going up is a terrible metric because everyone's goes up. It makes prices higher for everyone, even if it allows you more room. The rom does you no good if you cannot afford commensurate talent. They should also mention cash paid out numbers.

3. Packers carry cap money forward not just because they haven't signed FAs, but also because they carry little dead money.

The Packers are more cautious than most, but its not as dramatic as Spoon likes to make out. He just splurged on FAs last offseason and it was done because he had open spots and open slots in his cap structure because of player losses.

The question is whether the Packers could have gotten another CB or pass rusher in FA worth the money. Its also worth asking who doesn't get re-signed if you don't carry any money forward. The Packers used to be a young team with lots of starts under its belt. They are both older now at many positions and have a lot of young starters. Its a more expensive team.

Bretsky
12-29-2017, 08:40 AM
OK, gave this me time but same couple of thoughts:

1. Not using every dollar each year allows you to sign more of your own the next year. It made TJ Lang affordable until the Lions went nuts with guaranteed money. The $10 mil mentioned will be used to sign both Adams (this offseason) and Rodgers (soon).

2. Cap space going up is a terrible metric because everyone's goes up. It makes prices higher for everyone, even if it allows you more room. The rom does you no good if you cannot afford commensurate talent. They should also mention cash paid out numbers.

3. Packers carry cap money forward not just because they haven't signed FAs, but also because they carry little dead money.

The Packers are more cautious than most, but its not as dramatic as Spoon likes to make out. He just splurged on FAs last offseason and it was done because he had open spots and open slots in his cap structure because of player losses.

The question is whether the Packers could have gotten another CB or pass rusher in FA worth the money. Its also worth asking who doesn't get re-signed if you don't carry any money forward. The Packers used to be a young team with lots of starts under its belt. They are both older now at many positions and have a lot of young starters. Its a more expensive team.

going to point something out everybody seems to be ignoring

SPRIGGS SUCKS; he was not going to be a starter next year anyways

Also, as some of us has pointed out for years....I think the bolded part is the recipe for staying good but not great

Pugger
12-29-2017, 10:39 AM
going to point something out everybody seems to be ignoring

SPRIGGS SUCKS; he was not going to be a starter next year anyways

Also, as some of us has pointed out for years....I think the bolded part is the recipe for staying good but not great

I think it is a tad premature to declare Spriggs sucks.

bobblehead
12-29-2017, 01:45 PM
How about reduce Jordy, let Davante walk if he isn't "team friendly" and take a shot on a beast like Sammy Watkins. Sammy has yet to have a quality QB throwing him the ball.

Zool
12-29-2017, 03:12 PM
How about reduce Jordy, let Davante walk if he isn't "team friendly" and take a shot on a beast like Sammy Watkins. Sammy has yet to have a quality QB throwing him the ball.

Jared Goff, QB LAR

PCT - 62.1
Yards - 3,804
YPA - 7.98
TD - 28
INT - 7
QBR - 100.5

Bretsky
12-29-2017, 11:25 PM

I like the idea if Watkins has a good attitude

I think Devante is great; but 3 concussions in 15 months terrifies me.

I think he gets 13-14 MIL/ Year in this market

ThunderDan
12-30-2017, 08:11 AM
I like the idea if Watkins has a good attitude

I think Devante is great; but 3 concussions in 15 months terrifies me.

I think he gets 13-14 MIL/ Year in this market

He already signed his extension.

pbmax
12-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Its just like Shields deal. They paid 1-2 million more for the first two years to be able to get out of the deal after two years.