PDA

View Full Version : extending adams...

gbgary
12-29-2017, 03:32 PM
nice!

packers-to-sign-adams-to-4-year-extension-worth-58m (https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1456609-report-packers-to-sign-adams-to-4-year-extension-worth-58m)

red
12-29-2017, 04:15 PM
Good news, huge contract

Let’s hope the concussion issue doesn’t get and bigger

red
12-29-2017, 04:20 PM
This makes him the 4th highest paid wr in the nfl, based on average per yer

Ahead of Julio Jones

We really love to vastly overpay our own

Joemailman
12-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Ahead of Julio Jones

Young, emerging stars are usually overpaid when they sign an extension because you're paying for perceived upside. If Adams was the same age as Jones (nearly 29), he wouldn't have gotten the contract he just signed.

red
12-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Maybe

It’s really only maybe 1 or 2 million a year more then I thought they would give him, so it’s not that terrible

And we do have a shit ton of free cap

I’m interested in seeing how this is structured. It’s an extension, and he should be getting a lot of money right now, which would go against this years cap. So hopefully we just used up all our remaining free cap this year on the deal to bring his annual number down for the other years

Joemailman
12-29-2017, 04:59 PM
Maybe

It’s really only maybe 1 or 2 million a year more then I thought they would give him, so it’s not that terrible

And we do have a shit ton of free cap

I’m interested in seeing how this is structured. It’s an extension, and he should be getting a lot of money right now, which would go against this years cap. So hopefully we just used up all our remaining free cap this year on the deal to bring his annual number down for the other years

I think they want to keep the cap hit low in 2018 because Cobb and Nelson's contracts run out after 2018. So I think you'll see a low base salary this year which will then go up considerably after 2018.

red
12-29-2017, 05:07 PM
Ok, so very rough math here

It’s an 18 million dollar signing bonus he gets right now. Because it’s an extension. That 18 million is spread out over 5 years not 4. Which will bring the overall cap number down somewhat

So 3.6 million get thrown on this years cap, leaving us with what amounts to a 4 year deal worth about 13.6 million a year

Next year he will count at least 4.5 million against the cap, and I’m guessing more cause Green Bay doesn’t do a ton of backloading.

My guess would be

This year. 3.6 pro rated signing bonus plus whatever his salary was

Year 1 . 3.6 pro rated 6 million salary 9.6 cap
Year 2. 3.6 pro rated 10 million salary 13.6 cap
Year 3. 3.6 12 million salary 15.6 cap
Year 4. 3.6 12 salary. 15.6 cap

red
12-29-2017, 05:14 PM
I think they want to keep the cap hit low in 2018 because Cobb and Nelson's contracts run out after 2018. So I think you'll see a low base salary this year which will then go up considerably after 2018.

I think you need to cut the guy who’s about to count almost 13 million against the cap next season who has only 1 thousand yard season in his career and hasn’t broken 625 yards in a season and 4 tds over the last two

We need to not only send the message that if you play well, we will pay you. But if you then decide to just phone it in after getting that money, you will be gone. You gotta continue to earn your pay

beveaux1
12-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Next up - A. Rodgers and Linsley

MadScientist
12-29-2017, 05:28 PM
As long as he recovers from the concussions, this is a fair deal. Adams was good enough to keep performing even when Hundley was in there. Nobody else came close to that. With Rodgers in there, he will really star, as long as asshole defenders don't take cheap head shots.

red
12-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Next up - A. Rodgers and Linsleyl

Gotta start to think about how much cash the team has lying around

Giving a-rod a new contract making him the highest paid QB meaning giving him more then 51 million in a signing bonus the minute he signs. Stafford got 50.5. We just gave Adams somewhere around 18 million and the team has been pissing more away let and right on packerland or whatever that shit is called

That’s a lot of cash

Joemailman
12-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Spotrac estimated that Adams' market value would be 13.3 million per year. They missed by about a million. They estimate that Burnett's market value will be about 11 million. I don't think TT goes there. Josh Jones will need to make that next step.

red
12-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Spotrac estimated that Adams' market value would be 13.3 million per year. They missed by about a million. They estimate that Burnett's market value will be about 11 million. I don't think TT goes there. Josh Jones will need to make that next step.

Agreed, I think with the way jones has looks, Burnett is expendable

I always that he was greatly over valued anyways. I mean he’s the guy who is suppose to get everyone lined up right. Yet we fuck up coverage all the time

Move on from him

texaspackerbacker
12-29-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm glad we kept him, although paying him as the 4th best WR in the NFL is kinda ridiculous. I don't think Adams is anywhere near as good as a lot of others around the league. More than Julio Jones? Sheeesh!

I can't help but wonder if we coulda snagged somebody better for the same money in free agency ....... but no, Ted would never do that.

BZnDallas
12-29-2017, 08:15 PM
I'm glad we kept him, although paying him as the 4th best WR in the NFL is kinda ridiculous. I don't think Adams is anywhere near as good as a lot of others around the league. More than Julio Jones? Sheeesh!

I can't help but wonder if we coulda snagged somebody better for the same money in free agency ....... but no, Ted would never do that.

C'mon TeX. Was Luck better than Rodgers? Is Stafford? This is the NFL. Next man up gets more money. Cobb and Nelson got 10 mil per 3 years ago. The cap has increased the last 3 years. And at 13-14 mil per year for a younger player with a higher ceilung? Not to mention Alshon Jefferies just signed 4 years for 52. Id take Davante over Alshon. And he's 2 years younger.

Rutnstrut
12-29-2017, 08:29 PM

Solid centers are a dime a dozen, let Linsley walk. This said sarcastically as it has taken the mighty ted how many years to get a decent center?

QBME
12-29-2017, 10:00 PM
A great deal. Maybe he isn't J Jones. Big deal. He and ARod are now on the same page, reading the same reads. He is the new Jordy. A great deal. APRH.

pbmax
12-29-2017, 10:23 PM
Thank Bob Harlan we don't have to live through a Jermichael Finley contract head case year.

Bretsky
12-30-2017, 12:07 AM
The Fresno Freak is staying

Great signing and Kudos to TT

Now go get Jordy to take a salary cap reduction as well as Clay

Use the money to sign a f'cking passrusher

Then draft a LEGIT PLAYMAKER....somewhere.

Who knows..at 13 the best WR in the draft....whoever that is...might be there for a steal

Sign a f'ckin pass rusher via free agency so you hand is not forced in round one

Oh...and did I mention....sign a F'ckng Pass rusher !!!

AND ..........We need to draft a F'ckin Pass Rusher Too

Sincerely,

TJ WATT

channtheman
12-30-2017, 04:02 AM
I'm good with this. As mentioned, he was the only guy who still performed with Brett freaking Hundley throwing the ball around.

red
12-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Ok, so very rough math here

It’s an 18 million dollar signing bonus he gets right now. Because it’s an extension. That 18 million is spread out over 5 years not 4. Which will bring the overall cap number down somewhat

So 3.6 million get thrown on this years cap, leaving us with what amounts to a 4 year deal worth about 13.6 million a year

Next year he will count at least 4.5 million against the cap, and I’m guessing more cause Green Bay doesn’t do a ton of backloading.

My guess would be

This year. 3.6 pro rated signing bonus plus whatever his salary was

Year 1 . 3.6 pro rated 6 million salary 9.6 cap
Year 2. 3.6 pro rated 10 million salary 13.6 cap
Year 3. 3.6 12 million salary 15.6 cap
Year 4. 3.6 12 salary. 15.6 cap

I wasn’t too far off, Florio says he will receive 32 million over the first 2 years, I had him making 34 with the above numbers. So those cap numbers should be pretty close, give or take a million each year

Pugger
12-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Ahead of Julio Jones

Once the bigger name WRs get extensions Davante's will look like a bargain.

Pugger
12-30-2017, 11:19 AM

One down. One to go.

Perhaps Burnett should be in this group as well?

Pugger
12-30-2017, 11:21 AM
I'm good with this. As mentioned, he was the only guy who still performed with Brett freaking Hundley throwing the ball around.

Yeah, that alone makes him a #1 WR.

red
12-30-2017, 11:48 AM
One down. One to go.

Let him walk

bobblehead
12-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Ahead of Julio Jones

Yet if we let him get to FA (like Lang) and someone offered him 4yrs for $60million you would bitch at TT for letting him hit FA.

bobblehead
12-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Solid centers are a dime a dozen, let Linsley walk. This said sarcastically as it has taken the mighty ted how many years to get a decent center?

I can only think of one short stint where we struggled at center. TT has drafted/developed 3 starting centers currently in NFL.

ThunderDan
12-30-2017, 12:21 PM
I can only think of one short stint where we struggled at center. TT has drafted/developed 3 starting centers currently in NFL.

The truth will set you free.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2017, 12:24 PM
C'mon TeX. Was Luck better than Rodgers? Is Stafford? This is the NFL. Next man up gets more money. Cobb and Nelson got 10 mil per 3 years ago. The cap has increased the last 3 years. And at 13-14 mil per year for a younger player with a higher ceilung? Not to mention Alshon Jefferies just signed 4 years for 52. Id take Davante over Alshon. And he's 2 years younger.

Yes, but you could say that's the point. The loser teams pay Rodgers money for Flacco or Luck or Stafford - and in most cases, regret it later. Are we glad in hindsight that the Packers paid that much to Nelson and Cobb? Could we maybe have combined that money and gotten a real superstar like Julio Jones or A.J. Green - I'd take one of them over the two we had any day. The comparison isn't Jeffries; It's whoever is the best FA WR coming available this year or next.

What I really want is for Ted to sign Jimmy Graham. I hope breaking the bank on Adams doesn't prevent that.

On a positive note, though, Aaron Rodgers supposedly wanted Adams re-signed - sooner rather than later. I just hope he wants Graham also, and communicates that.

ThunderDan
12-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Yes, but you could say that's the point. The loser teams pay Rodgers money for Flacco or Luck or Stafford - and in most cases, regret it later. Are we glad in hindsight that the Packers paid that much to Nelson and Cobb? Could we maybe have combined that money and gotten a real superstar like Julio Jones or A.J. Green - I'd take one of them over the two we had any day. The comparison isn't Jeffries; It's whoever is the best FA WR coming available this year or next.

What I really want is for Ted to sign Jimmy Graham. I hope breaking the bank on Adams doesn't prevent that.

On a positive note, though, Aaron Rodgers supposedly wanted Adams re-signed - sooner rather than later. I just hope he wants Graham also, and communicates that.

You don’t think Sea will tag Graham and let him just walk in FA. The GM must be a TT disciple letting “good” players walk in FA.

texaspackerbacker
12-30-2017, 12:40 PM
You don’t think Sea will tag Graham and let him just walk in FA. The GM must be a TT disciple letting “good” players walk in FA.

They might tag him; I read one story that they will likely let him try free agency. Their GM in fact IS a TT disciple, right? Getting a star quality TE for Rodgers to throw to would do wonders for the Packers. There are a few other good ones around, but Kelce - who ain't available now - is the only other star quality I can think of. And TEs tend to last longer than WRs or some other positions - e.g. Tony Gonzales, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates.

gbgary
12-30-2017, 01:06 PM

the going rate is the going rate. you pay it or pay the franchise tag price which kills you (see kirk cousins) or even worse lose that player. cobb and nelson have been great with rodgers on the field. julio and green were resigned early like adams was. they were never going to be allowed to hit free agency.

graham is interesting. we should kick that tire.

beveaux1
12-30-2017, 01:17 PM
the going rate is the going rate. you pay it or pay the franchise tag price which kills you (see kirk cousins) or even worse lose that player. cobb and nelson have been great with rodgers on the field. julio and green were resigned early like adams was. they were never going to be allowed to hit free agency.

This is usually true. I'd amend it by saying that difference makers will never be allowed to leave until their 3rd or 4th contract, making them over 30 years old. The old saying that "you'd rather let a player leave a year too soon rather than a year too late" is very true. The biggest exception to this rule is the difference making RB that may not make it to his 2nd contract because of shelf life.

beveaux1
12-30-2017, 01:19 PM
One down. One to go.

3rd contract...much iffier.

gbgary
12-30-2017, 01:22 PM
This is usually true. I'd amend it by saying that difference makers will never be allowed to leave until their 3rd or 4th contract, making them over 30 years old. The old saying that "you'd rather let a player leave a year too soon rather than a year too late" is very true. The biggest exception to this rule is the difference making RB that may not make it to his 2nd contract because of shelf life.

true. tex was referencing jones/green's first contract extensions so that what i was referencing. when their next extensions come up we'll see what atl and cin decide to do. at this point i can't imagine they'll be allowed to go then either. they both two years left.

Rutnstrut
12-30-2017, 02:31 PM

Correct, but he usually lets them walk.

Pugger
12-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Let him walk

I donno. The communication on defense is better when he is back there. If we get a new DC - god willing - his leadership would be welcome.

red
12-30-2017, 03:52 PM
I donno. The communication on defense is better when he is back there. If we get a new DC - god willing - his leadership would be welcome.

He’s been back there all year and the last and the last

The communication with him is bad

Smidgeon
12-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Let him walk

If there is a new DC, Burnett will be a probowler.

Zool
12-30-2017, 06:17 PM
He’s been back there all year and the last and the last

The communication with him is bad

He missed a couple games this year and it showed. They are bad with him and worse without him. Jones is a tough tackling moron. If he gets astronomically smarter between now and August you can let him go. That’s a pretty big if.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Florio makes the case that Adams jumped the gun: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/30/davante-adams-should-have-waited-it-out/

At a bare minimum, he should have waited until the deadline for the franchise tag came and went. Maybe they wouldn’t have used it on him, maybe they would have. The only way to know for sure would have been to wait until the window for using the tag closed.

If the Packers had tagged him, Adams would have made, based on the expected increase in the cap to anywhere from $174 million to $178 million, a one-year, fully-guaranteed salary of anywhere from $16.32 million to $16.7 million. Given that his new deal averages $14.5 million, why not wait to see if the tag gets applied?

Also, before taking the bird in the hand from the Packers, why not see what other teams would pay? Sure, it’s tampering for them to say so, but at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis the tampering is rampant. Adams would have known whether some other team looking for a No. 1 receiver would have paid as much or more for his services.

Yes, there’s something to be said for the bird in the hand. Again, that mindset typically applies to NFL players when there are games to still be played under their current contracts. For Adams [inactive for last game], it was just a matter of waiting for March.