PDA

View Full Version : "THE TIMING IS RIGHT TO PART WAYS WITH TED THOMPSON" .....aka the untouchable

Bretsky
12-30-2017, 08:07 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2017/12/30/dougherty-timing-right-packers-part-ways-ted-thompson/982144001/

Bretsky
12-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Surprised at this article; I listed to him get interviewed a few weeks ago and he noted he didn't feel Murphy had the guts to shake the waters and make a chance. Basically thought TT and MM had free passed as long as Murphy was here

Bretsky
12-30-2017, 08:09 PM
ALSO INTERESTING NOTES.......TT's drafting was much better before 2010 than after. Sounds like he agrees with Partial ?

red
12-30-2017, 08:14 PM
I do too

esoxx
12-30-2017, 09:04 PM
This is just click bait.

Murphy would never give Ted his walking papers. No way, no how.

Captain Pike has a lifetime appointment, only he can say when is enough. Not Murphy.

I think Ted will do the right thing and step down after 2018 season though. He should sit back and enjoy the good life.

Joemailman
12-30-2017, 11:40 PM
TT still makes some good picks, but for a while he was dynamite with his 2nd round picks. In recent years he has really missed on Jerel Worthy, Quentin Rollins and Jason Spriggs. In addition, Lacy was a gamble that paid off for only a couple of years and Casey Hayward was traded. He's still probably above average, But not the guy he was. Maybe losing guys like Dorsey, Schneider and McKenzie has had an effect.

call_me_ishmael
12-31-2017, 12:11 AM
Yeah, it's hard not to argue with this. The facts clearly support a steep drop-off in draft quality, although 2014-2016 are looking pretty good. I just don't see why anyone would consider TT one of the best with his recent body of work. I don't think there is reason to think he's one of the worst either. That said, if he's middle of the pack, that's easy to get, why not try someone else to shoot for the best? If that person fails, they'll very likely fall to middle of the pack so now a huge difference from where they are now.

mraynrand
12-31-2017, 08:05 AM
TT still makes some good picks, but for a while he was dynamite with his 2nd round picks. In recent years he has really missed on Jerel Worthy, Quentin Rollins and Jason Spriggs. In addition, Lacy was a gamble that paid off for only a couple of years and Casey Hayward was traded. He's still probably above average, But not the guy he was. Maybe losing guys like Dorsey, Schneider and McKenzie has had an effect.

I don't get your point. So Dorsey, Schneider and McKenzie would heal Hayward's hammy and keep Fat Eddie trim, in shape and heal his ankles as well? Or they don't draft fat Eddie and draft some guy other than Hayward who doesn't get the "Packer Hammy?" Why did Dorsey get the axe in K.C.? Why can't McKenzie field a competent team in Oakland. Why can't Schneider put together a decent offensive line?

Pugger
12-31-2017, 08:07 AM
Ted's contract is up after the 2018 season so my guess is he'll retire then.

Joemailman
12-31-2017, 08:22 AM
I don't get your point. So Dorsey, Schneider and McKenzie would heal Hayward's hammy and keep Fat Eddie trim, in shape and heal his ankles as well? Or they don't draft fat Eddie and draft some guy other than Hayward who doesn't get the "Packer Hammy?" Why did Dorsey get the axe in K.C.? Why can't McKenzie field a competent team in Oakland. Why can't Schneider put together a decent offensive line?

Well, first of all, I said Maybe. Just speculating. But just because they haven't been as successful as Thompson has (Maybe Schneider has), doesn't mean they didn't help Thompson do his job better. It's always a good thing to have quality people you can bounce ideas off of before making a decision.

For the record, I think Hayward was healthy his last year in Green Bay. TT let him go because he thought Rollins could replace him. So far that was a bad decision. Or maybe the problem is Capers/Whitt.

red
12-31-2017, 09:41 AM

We thought he would do that when his last contract was up, but then he signed an extension

And that was before he had turned into the walking brain dead zombie he is today

red
12-31-2017, 09:43 AM
Well, first of all, I said Maybe. Just speculating. But just because they haven't been as successful as Thompson has (Maybe Schneider has), doesn't mean they didn't help Thompson do his job better. It's always a good thing to have quality people you can bounce ideas off of before making a decision.

For the record, I think Hayward was healthy his last year in Green Bay. TT let him go because he thought Rollins could replace him. So far that was a bad decision. Or maybe the problem is Capers/Whitt.

Wasn’t Hayward also looked at as just a slot corner too?

Turned out he was more

mraynrand
12-31-2017, 11:01 AM

Well, Rollins has Hayward disease or Packer disease, whatever. A bit of a sophomore slump, but I bet they are not finished with him yet.

mraynrand
12-31-2017, 11:03 AM

I agree with this point. But I just don't know what the dynamic was. But I suspect those guys might agree with you to the reverse, eh? (I bet they miss having TT around)

woodbuck27
12-31-2017, 02:23 PM

Ohh PLEASE GOD !

pbmax
12-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Yeah, it's hard not to argue with this. The facts clearly support a steep drop-off in draft quality, although 2014-2016 are looking pretty good. I just don't see why anyone would consider TT one of the best with his recent body of work. I don't think there is reason to think he's one of the worst either. That said, if he's middle of the pack, that's easy to get, why not try someone else to shoot for the best? If that person fails, they'll very likely fall to middle of the pack so now a huge difference from where they are now.

Ishmael, see this is the kind of conclusion that puts your previous denials in doubt. You say the standard is 3 good starters. You have no idea of ANY other GMs have met that standard over 6 previous years. And are understandably reluctant to do even more research.

But you use the drop-off you see as an argument for replacing him.

This is the classic mistake of dumb teams, riding a narrative and making a change because it has to be made according to an arbitrary standard that constantly changes. Your replacement gets a lovely press conference where he proclaims he will be "aggressive but smart" and nothing really gets any better.

If anything, recovering in the last 3 drafts after 2 putrid ones earlier this decade is an argument that is still doing fine.