View Full Version : Report: Thompson out as GM

esoxx
01-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
1m1 minute ago
More
Sources: #Packers GM Ted Thompson is expected to transition into a new role within the organization. The team will begin a search for a new GM. Bombshell.

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Wow. Did not see that coming.

gbgary
01-01-2018, 05:46 PM
FANTASTIC!!

Rutnstrut
01-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Now I wonder if the new GM will want a new head coach?

theeaterofshades
01-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Wolf time?

gbgary
01-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Wow. Did not see that coming.

"...with all due respect, the Ted was...slippin'."

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/godfather/images/e/ea/Vlcsnap-2010-05-29-20h28m57s245.png/revision/latest?cb=20101204152023

Willard
01-01-2018, 05:51 PM
I think the question is will Rodgers want a new head coach?!

Rastak
01-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Color me surprised.

I guess Ted made that decision given Murphy's earlier comments......unless he had a change of heart.

Pugger
01-01-2018, 06:05 PM
I suspect it will be either Wolf, Ball or Guz.

Man, things are happening fast and furious up there at 1265! :shock:

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2018, 06:13 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!!

My grandson just called and told me. They kicked him upstairs, I guess - whatever, as long is he is OUT.

The big question now is will the next guy - Wolf or whoever - just continue the same crap that Ted has done? Or will they FINALLY go out and get some support for Aaron Rodgers before it's too late?

gbgary
01-01-2018, 06:13 PM
I suspect it will be either Wolf, Ball or Guz.

Man, things are happening fast and furious up there at 1265! :shock:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Eliot Wolf, Brian Gutekunst, and Russ Ball are among the internal candidates the Packers are considering for general manager, according to Rapoport.

gbgary
01-01-2018, 06:18 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!!

They kicked him upstairs, I guess

GRAND POOBAH

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--3WpShmmR--/t_Preview/b_rgb:ffffff,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1461248825/production/designs/486401_2.jpg

Gotarace
01-01-2018, 06:23 PM
I just peed a little...thank you Mark Murphy

Bretsky
THE REACTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

THE ANSWER IS SO SO SIMPLE.................ALL ABOARD !!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAt-NThc48I

Rutnstrut
Supposedly the whole front office will be reorganized with new roles for all. Murphy will decide who is responsible for what.

Rutnstrut
01-01-2018, 06:25 PM
We may have to put some of the kool-aid crowd on suicide watch.

gbgary
01-01-2018, 06:27 PM
I just peed a little...thank you Mark Murphy

lol

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 06:28 PM

RUSS BALL is a cap guy; he better not be the choice. We need a personnel guy to get some playmakers

red
01-01-2018, 06:36 PM
No need to search, we have plenty of blue chippers waiting in the wings

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 06:38 PM
No need to search, we have plenty of blue chippers waiting in the wings

It's time for you to get into the passenger seat for the Eliott Wolf Wagon; it would seem fitting. On New Years eve we celebrate TT's departure

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 06:38 PM
I think the question is will Rodgers want a new head coach?!

Yep.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_tZptSQfkqY/maxresdefault.jpg

red
01-01-2018, 06:43 PM
TT can be the new greeter at the pro shop

Just like the old guys that mumble “thank you for coming to Walmart”

red
01-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Yep.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_tZptSQfkqY/maxresdefault.jpg

Now that guy would be an interesting coach

1st and 10, lets go deep
2nd and 10, lets go deep
3rd and 17, go for the end zone
4th and 25, Hail Mary

gbgary
01-01-2018, 06:45 PM
they have to at least say they're doing a search because of the rooney rule. i don't think the choice is necessarily in the front office right now. they should do a search. a lot rides on this.

QBME
01-01-2018, 06:46 PM
“May you live in interesting times”

Chinese Proverb (curse).

red
01-01-2018, 06:46 PM
It's time for you to get into the passenger seat for the Eliott Wolf Wagon; it would seem fitting. On New Years eve we celebrate TT's departure

That’s the way i’m Leaning

The kid was born and raised for the job

red
01-01-2018, 06:48 PM
they have to at least say they're doing a search because of the rooney rule. i don't think the choice is necessarily in the front office right now. they should do a search. a lot rides on this.

I wouldn’t doubt they knew it was time to shit or get off the pot with one of the young in house guys

You can’t keep all those guy forever

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Hardly. Just because most of us don't whine incessantly about the state of affairs doesn't mean we're opposed to change.

red
01-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Hardly. Just because most of us don't whine incessantly about the state of affairs doesn't mean we're opposed to change.

Really?

Is that why we lost over half our posters when we switched from Fabre to Rodgers?

pittstang5
01-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Wow! This is going to be an interesting and hopefully, exciting off-season.

red
01-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Wow! This is going to be an interesting and hopefully, exciting off-season.

We might actually be able to celebrate the first day of free agency this year

Dumb both Cobb and Nelson and go get Sammy Watkins, or some other big time weapon for a rod

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 06:56 PM
I wonder if the front office restructuring will give anyone as much power as TT had here. When Thompson was in Seattle, he basically ran the draft, but it was other people who made the decisions on free agency and contracts.

Pugger
01-01-2018, 06:56 PM

Hyperbole much? :roll:

red
01-01-2018, 06:57 PM
I wonder if the front office restructuring will give anyone as much power as TT had here. When Thompson was in Seattle, he basically ran the draft, but it was other people who made the decisions on free agency and contracts.

Maybe he’ll just go back to being head of scouting or something like that

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:00 PM
RUSS BALL is a cap guy; he better not be the choice. We need a personnel guy to get some playmakers

The playmakers get identified by the scouts. The guy in charge of the draft has to sort through the detritus and find out which opinions make the most sense.

THEN arrange the draft board.

THEN decide who to pick or when to trade.

The best GMs are not all super scouts. Ozzie Newsmen worked the other side of the personnel department far longer than he worked college scouting.

pittstang5
01-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Dumb both Cobb and Nelson and go get Sammy Watkins, or some other big time weapon for a rod

Maybe not that extreme, but I'm hopeful to see some action on the first day of free agency.

gbgary
01-01-2018, 07:01 PM

restructure...don't dump.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Really?

Is that why we lost over half our posters when we switched from Fabre to Rodgers?

There were a few ancillary issues there if you recall.

Not sure anyone is going to start the Official Ted is the GOAT Thread.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Supposedly the whole front office will be reorganized with new roles for all. Murphy will decide who is responsible for what.

I hope to God you are exaggerating and he will simply name a GM from among the candidates.

I also hope he interviews others from outside, but I am not holding my breath.

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 07:08 PM
I hope to God you are exaggerating and he will simply name a GM from among the candidates.

I also hope he interviews others from outside, but I am not holding my breath.

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport
Ted Thompson will not return as the GM of the Green Bay Packers but will remain with the team. The front office will go through a reorganization with team president Mark Murphy defining new roles for current members of front office, per league and team sources.

5:44 PM - Jan 1, 2018

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport
Russ Ball, Packers VP of football administration, player personnel director Brian Gutenkunst and possibly director of football ops Eliot Wolf are expected to have re-defined duties as Thompson moves to another role, per sources.

5:49 PM - Jan 1, 2018

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:10 PM
^ If they go for some triangle of authority, I am moving back to Ohio.

From a football perspective anyway.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:13 PM
If the Packers start to sign players on the first day of FA its a sign of big trouble.

gbgary
Maybe he’ll just go back to being head of scouting or something like that

and hopefully in name only.

Joemailman
^ If they go for some triangle of authority, I am moving back to Ohio.

From a football perspective anyway.

Ohio? Things won't get that bad here.

QBME
01-01-2018, 07:15 PM
If the Packers start to sign players on the first day of FA its a sign of big trouble.

Amen

gbgary
01-01-2018, 07:17 PM

nah. it's a sign of realizing the Rodgers window is more closed than open. it's a sign that all-in is what it implies. it's not an either/or. the cap doesn't have to be sacrificed but even if they do go nuts, to win now, the cap can be fixed later when Rodgers is gone and they're in full blown rebuild mode.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Ohio? Things won't get that bad here.

It depends on how Murphy handles this. If he has two or three people reporting to him, its going to shit fast. And that is one way to read how Mortensen is reporting it will go:

Chris Mortensen @mortreport
Ted Thompson will not return as the GM of the Green Bay Packers but will remain with the team. The front office will go through a reorganization with team president Mark Murphy defining new roles for current members of front office, per league and team sources.

If the beat reporters and RapSheet are right and he is hiring a GM to decide the front office and coach, then there is a chance.

It took the Packers 34 years or so to learn how to structure a Pro Football front office for modern times. Going backward isn't going to help.

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Just something I've been wondering:

TT is moved out of GM role a few days after signing 2 players to big extensions. Did Murphy move TT out because he didn't like those deals? Did TT make those deals knowing a change was to be made and wanted to clear the deck for the new GM? Neither?

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 07:30 PM
I would think if anything it would be choice B

I think those two signings were no brainers

red
01-01-2018, 07:30 PM

TT is moved out of GM role a few days after signing 2 players to big extensions. Did Murphy move TT out because he didn't like those deals? Did TT make those deals knowing a change was to be made and wanted to clear the deck for the new GM? Neither?

Hmmmm

Well he wasn’t fired, so Murphy can’t be too upset

And it’s not like they were terrible signings

Plus Russ ball would have been involved with the whole thing seeings how is the cap guy. Plus Murphy would have had to be in on it cause he controls the money they would have just given to those two guys

red
01-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Or maybe the team knew this move was coming and a bunch of others were involved with the signings

I seriously doubt this was an out of the blue bombshell to a lot of people involved

They had to be talking about this for awhile I would think

Rutnstrut
01-01-2018, 07:36 PM

A buddy of mine said he thought that the Adams and Linsley extensions didn't feel "ted like" to him. He thought maybe someone else was already running things and it was a sign TT would be done. I disagreed, but maybe he was/is on to something.

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
1m1 minute ago
More
Sources: #Packers GM Ted Thompson is expected to transition into a new role within the organization. The team will begin a search for a new GM. Bombshell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901690/article/ted-thompson-out-as-packers-gm-will-assume-new-role

My prayers have been answered and PLEASE; Mike McCarthy has to go too.

Packer Nation now has at least a legitimate opportunity to win another Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:39 PM
A buddy of mine said he thought that the Adams and Linsley extensions didn't feel "ted like" to him. He thought maybe someone else was already running things and it was a sign TT would be done. I disagreed, but maybe he was/is on to something.

I get what he is saying, but the players and positions match Ted's priorities. He doesn't draft centers, but he has signed good ones to good deals before.

If he had done Burnett that quickly I would think its not very Ted like.

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 07:39 PM
FANTASTIC!!

Indeed. :glug:

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 07:42 PM

That is now essential that MM be shown the door.

That piece of PUFF has to be FIRED to get that REAL chance and the next Super Bowl appearance and possible win.

red
01-01-2018, 07:42 PM

I asked the question in another thread if anyone knows if we’ve done anything like those two signings in the past

It definitely felt different to me

But I never put two and two together and figured that maybe someone else is pulling the strings, but know you got me thinking

Those signings make more sense if that is the case

Rutnstrut
01-01-2018, 07:46 PM
I get what he is saying, but the players and positions match Ted's priorities. He doesn't draft centers, but he has signed good ones to good deals before.

If he had done Burnett that quickly I would think its not very Ted like.

That also makes sense. As much as I have wanted change I am worried it will be terrible. Then again I truly believe doing nothing would have been worse. I also wonder if some of this wasn't to appease the fans. I think they took a hell of a hit financially when people knew the team was going nowhere. Part of this may have been to appear to the fans they are doing something. They have to keep the revenue up to pay for Murphy's baby Titletown district.

smuggler
01-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Those negotiations were probably going on for a month or so before being finalized. Granted, TT's shift to a new role might have already been decided on by that point, as well.

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 07:48 PM
I asked the question in another thread if anyone knows if we’ve done anything like those two signings in the past

It definitely felt different to me

But I never put two and two together and figured that maybe someone else is pulling the strings, but know you got me thinking

Those signings make more sense if that is the case

TT hasn`t appeared right for some time.

He appeared vacant to Mae and I when we saw his videos before the Press.

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 07:51 PM
You guys are hilarious. Youre acting as if the Packers have been a dumpster fire since Ted was hired instead of a perennial playoff contender.

These are dangerous times for the organisation and if Murphy fucks this up, you’ll be singing a different tune.

red
01-01-2018, 07:53 PM

Yeah, I’ve joked about it. But something really doesn’t seem right with him. I remember listening to one interview with him this year and thinking he sounded like he just had a stroke

He didn’t use to be like that, at least not that bad

smuggler
01-01-2018, 07:54 PM
He might have early-stage dementia. I am not saying this to poke fun, he honestly does seem that way.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:58 PM
It happened after that hip or leg injury and surgery he had.

But his drafts improved after that. Maybe he has been figurehead?

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/quiz/192000/192437_1240162289102_500_375.jpg

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 08:01 PM

The irony is too rich for words.

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2018, 08:03 PM
TT is transitioning!

red
01-01-2018, 08:03 PM
He might have early-stage dementia. I am not saying this to poke fun, he honestly does seem that way.

That’s what I’m thinking, I’ve spent too much time at nursing homes, and I’ve seen a lot of people that look and talk like that

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2018, 08:04 PM

He had a long NFL career as a special teams demon.

Rastak
01-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Irony aside it's a good observation. One I missed.

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I wanted to start a thread "Hundley: GM killer" but I'm too mature now for such nonsense.

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2018, 08:11 PM

I used to take care of the grounds for an elderly couple when I was in highschool. They were in their mid 90s. Emil and Dorothy Cobb. Emil was a professional boxer in the 30s and would give me boxing lessions - he considered it part of my compensation. Anyway, both Emil and Dorothy took me aside to warn me that the other one was starting to get a little funny in the head, and I should just humor them.

Rutnstrut
01-01-2018, 08:12 PM

I was thinking early onset alzheimer's.

The Shadow
01-01-2018, 08:17 PM
George Cumby -
Agree completely. Ted Thompson is an excellent GM, and many may soon be wishing he stayed on in the post.

The Shadow
01-01-2018, 08:18 PM
You guys are hilarious. Youre acting as if the Packers have been a dumpster fire since Ted was hired instead of a perennial playoff contender.

These are dangerous times for the organisation and if Murphy fucks this up, you’ll be singing a different tune.

Agree completely. Ted Thompson is an excellent GM, and you may soon be wishing he stayed on in the post.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 08:18 PM
So was he fired, or did he step down (as part of a planned transition)? I would think they know who the GM is already if it was a planned thing. I tend to think he was fired, which seems a little unfair frankly.

hoosier
01-01-2018, 08:19 PM
I used to take care of the grounds for an elderly couple when I was in highschool. They were in their mid 90s. Emil and Dorothy Cobb. Emil was a professional boxer in the 30s and would give me boxing lessions - he considered it part of my compensation. Anyway, both Emil and Dorothy took me aside to warn me that the other one was starting to get a little funny in the head, and I should just humor them.

I guess you could say old Emil had "lessions" on the brain.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 08:19 PM

Yep, these are very scary times. First major move without Bob Harlan in control in many, many, many years.

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Yep, these are very scary times. First major move without Bob Harlan in control in many, many, many years.

There's gonna be panic in WI. I predict the grocery store shelves will be picked clean.

Zool
01-01-2018, 08:28 PM
I hope they hire from outside the org just to fuck with everyone.

HowardRoark
01-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Nay, without Lombardi. How will we survive?

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 08:30 PM
I just hope Murphy makes the obvious move and hires the wunderkid who's been groomed for this since the 90s. If you can't get Dorsey or Schneider, then go Wolfe.

I am shocked to my very core that if this were known to be happening or planned, Dorsey ended up in Cleveland. Makes me think this wasn't planned and something went down behind the scenes. Maybe ARod made a threat to not resign?

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 08:32 PM

This may actually be the way to go.......

HowardRoark
01-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Planned? What happened was Anthony Barr.

gbgary
01-01-2018, 08:35 PM

Did TT make those deals knowing a change was to be made and wanted to clear the deck for the new GM?

did TT even MAKE those deals? timing seems fishy. i bet one of the cap gurus did it per Murphy.

Fosco33
01-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Aaron covered up a lot of mess. But last few years we've been a wreck at various points with CB, RB, WR and Oline with injuries and talent leaking and improving elsewhere.

We should search for sure. Wouldn't mind or be shocked with Wolf. Ted stays in a transition year as an advisor or something

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 08:39 PM
:bclap:
I just hope Murphy makes the obvious move and hires the wunderkid who's been groomed for this since the 90s. If you can't get Dorsey or Schneider, then go Wolfe.

I am shocked to my very core that if this were known to be happening or planned, Dorsey ended up in Cleveland. ?

:clap:

call_me_ishmael
Sounds like the consensus was he was "fired", aka asked to step down and transition to different spot?

wist43
Shocked?? Yes!!!

Will it result in much change?? Likely no...

The next GM will come from within, and "from within" is where a lot of the problem is.

The organization has a very weak philosophy with respect to defense... since the new GM will come "from within" there is no reason to expect any philosophical change.

Bretsky
Dorsey/Schneider/Wolf in no specific order

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Dorsey/Schneider/Wolf in no specific order

Agreed. Unfortunately they're not getting either of the first two I don't think. Would be amazing though.

Bretsky
Shocked?? Yes!!!

The next GM will come from within, and "from within" is where a lot of the problem is.

The organization has a very weak philosophy with respect to defense... since the new GM will come "from within" there is no reason to expect any philosophical change.

That is completely unfounded

Wolf, or anybody could have a VERY VERY different philosophy than TT and still work with them

McKenzie/Schieder/Dorsey......they all did things...good or bad...different than TT

Take your negative nanny shoes off and join the group and admit this can be good

BTW, I just saw a Georgia LB I REALLY WANT IN GREEN BAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbgary
Sounds like the consensus was he was "fired", aka asked to step down and transition to different spot?

i think it was TT's decision as Murphy said he could stay as long as he wanted. the thing is, i think TT told him he was stepping aside before the season even started. but that's just me.

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Agreed. Unfortunately they're not getting either of the first two I don't think. Would be amazing though.

one fact many don't know is

John Schneider, on his first deal with Seattle had an out clause in his deal letting him go to GB

When he signed his extension that was removed (that was reported on nfl network radio)

So he might like to return; but odds now very much against it

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Looks like Murphy released him.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/01/packers-replace-gm-ted-thompson/994801001/

Two sources confirmed that team president Mark Murphy has reached an agreement with Thompson to step down and relinquish the general manager’s position to someone else.

The Packers did not release any information on the decision, but a source said it was Murphy’s decision to start the transition from the 64-year-old Thompson to new front-office leadership.

Thompson, whose contract is set to expire after this season, will move to an advisory position within the personnel department.

This move reminds me so much of Elways firing John Fox and bringing in someone more aggressive to go for it while the window with Peyton was open.

esoxx
01-01-2018, 08:52 PM

If that's the best person I could care less if it's from within the org, outside the org, or whatever.

esoxx
01-01-2018, 08:56 PM
George Cumby -
Agree completely. Ted Thompson is an excellent GM, and many may soon be wishing he stayed on in the post.

He was an excellent GM the first half of his tenure. The latter half not so much. Moving on is the right call.

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 09:00 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901690/article/ted-thompson-out-as-packers-gm-will-assume-new-role

Ted Thompson out as Packers GM, will assume new role

Thanks Ted for one Super Bowl. For that as a Packer fan I'm grateful.

I just believe with someone else and a new Scouting Dept. and a new Head Coach Packer Nation will have another Super Bowl shot within Five Years.

GO PACK GO !

smuggler
01-01-2018, 09:02 PM
That is completely unfounded

Roquan Smith. He's like Shazier coming out. Might even be better in pass rush. If he can be close to that effective, he would be amazing.

smuggler
01-01-2018, 09:04 PM
This move reminds me so much of Elways firing John Fox and bringing in someone more aggressive to go for it while the window with Peyton was open.

I tend to disagree with this. Time will tell. If he does have some mental health problems on the horizon, it will be clear why the move was made.

red
01-01-2018, 09:06 PM

I saw him too and I also want him

Dudes a beast and exactly what we’ve been missing

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2018, 09:10 PM
I said before, Ted was extremely unpopular everywhere but here - now it seems like some anti types are finally coming out of the woodwork hahahaha.

Good Riddance to him. As somebody said about the other guy in a different thread, it shoulda happened five years ago.

I'm not sure whether to want Wolf as GM or not. All I can say is he just better not be Ted 2.0, and that same goes for those other "blue chippers" mentioned.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 09:19 PM

Agree completely. Ted Thompson is an excellent GM, and you may soon be wishing he stayed on in the post.

I'm with Shadow. Be careful what you wish for.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 09:27 PM
The obvious catalyst for this, now that I have stopped pulling my hair out, would be requests for the Packers front office staff to be interviewed.

I am pretty sure that you cannot block assistant coaches from becoming HC, and you cannot hold a front office guy, even with an ongoing contract, from getting a GM job with final say.

If two teams approached the Packers about their heirs apparent, then Murphy might have felt it was time. That would be the time to ask Ted to jump upstairs so Murphy could sign his guy and keep at least one or two top lieutenants this offseason.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Bullshit! A team with the headstart of having Aaron Rodgers should win virtually everything virtually every year. Ted didn't enable staying near the top; He prevented maximizing the rest of the team to enable the kind of winning we should have been doing.

(in response to posts # 102)

pbmax
01-01-2018, 09:34 PM
I'm with Shadow. Be careful what you wish for.

I also agree with George Cumby, who may not have received complete credit for his initial post.

I regret the error.

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 09:35 PM
I also agree with George Cumby, who may not have received complete credit for his initial post.

I regret the error.

; )

pbmax
01-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Bullshit! A team with the headstart of having Aaron Rodgers should win virtually everything virtually every year. Ted didn't enable staying near the top; He prevented maximizing the rest of the team to enable the kind of winning we should have been doing.

We'll see. In a few short years, we'll be able to compare tenures. I hope you are right.

But there is a LONG way to go down too.

Vincenzo
01-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Shocked?? Yes!!!

I agree with this.
However, learning today that Thompson is no longer making the key decisions for the organization is a relief. Most of us must feel good to learn this news.

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 09:45 PM
We'll see. In a few short years, we'll be able to compare tenures. I hope you are right.

But there is a LONG way to go down too.

Being cautious seldom wins the REAL Prize.

TT was ridiculously so.

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Being cautious seldom wins the REAL Prize.

TT was ridiculously so.

Many GM's have bet and lost on bold moves.

Bossman641
01-01-2018, 10:14 PM

I regret the error.

Group me in here as well.

pbmax
01-01-2018, 10:18 PM
Group me in here as well.

Are you agreeing, regretting or both?

ThunderDan
01-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Tell that to Dan Marino, John Elway, Jim Kelley or Warren Moon.

Having a HOF QB is a great foundation but does not guarantee anything.

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Tell that to Dan Marino, John Elway, Jim Kelley or Warren Moon.

Having a HOF QB is a great foundation but does not guarantee anything.

Certainly your correct with a GM as Ted Thompson wasn't and good ..... since our last Super Bowl win.

ThunderDan
01-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the run Ted. Thanks for having the balls to draft ARod when you had a HOF QB in Favre. Thanks for having the balls to show BF the door when he acted like a diva. Thanks for the 2010 Super Bowl and 8 years in a row in the playoffs.

yetisnowman
01-01-2018, 11:03 PM

I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire, but the last 3 years or so the team has become very limited talentwise. I mean if TT is a spectacular GM, what position groups on the Packers are even average or above on the current roster? Where are the playmakers? Why did we need a miracle comeback to beat a team that ended up 0-16 after being told that Aaron's backup was more than capable? What are his great moves and acquisitions of late? I think you guys minimize how good Aaron is at squeezing everything out of this team he can. It seems like after watching things unfold this season, the glaring talent deficiencies would be obvious but I guess not.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Since Murphy asked TT to step aside, he previously let it know that he had a plan to do the transition. Most assumed that meant Eliot Wolf gets the job. Was the plan just to do a search and fill the spot, then? This doesn't feel very coordinated and like they intend to just give it to Eliot. Unless of course they have to have some token interviews, etc to fulfill league diversity rules, etc.

Smidgeon
01-02-2018, 12:40 AM

My thoughts exactly.

There's a chance to get this right, maybe for a long time (TT was going to retire at some point anyway). If Murphy does it wrong, the good old days just ended.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Since Murphy asked TT to step aside, he previously let it know that he had a plan to do the transition. Most assumed that meant Eliot Wolf gets the job. Was the plan just to do a search and fill the spot, then? This doesn't feel very coordinated and like they intend to just give it to Eliot. Unless of course they have to have some token interviews, etc to fulfill league diversity rules, etc.

At a minimum they need to do that, but Highsmith gives them that.

A sensible management would cast a wide net anyway, interviewing as many as possible, because you are likelier to find the best candidate.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 07:29 AM
I saw him too and I also want him

Dudes a beast and exactly what we’ve been missing

Would he still be there when we pick?

mission
01-02-2018, 07:30 AM
Roquan Smith. He's like Shazier coming out. Might even be better in pass rush. If he can be close to that effective, he would be amazing.

Don't think he'll be available at 14 but he's my favorite "somewhat realistic" pick for the Packers this year. He's a complete monster.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 07:31 AM
The obvious catalyst for this, now that I have stopped pulling my hair out, would be requests for the Packers front office staff to be interviewed.

I am pretty sure that you cannot block assistant coaches from becoming HC, and you cannot hold a front office guy, even with an ongoing contract, from getting a GM job with final say.

If two teams approached the Packers about their heirs apparent, then Murphy might have felt it was time. That would be the time to ask Ted to jump upstairs so Murphy could sign his guy and keep at least one or two top lieutenants this offseason.

I think you may have hit upon the truth here.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the run Ted. Thanks for having the balls to draft ARod when you had a HOF QB in Favre. Thanks for having the balls to show BF the door when he acted like a diva. Thanks for the 2010 Super Bowl and 8 years in a row in the playoffs.

ditto

pbmax
01-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
One thing to remember: Brian Gutekunst was reportedly the favorite for the 49ers GM job before he withdrew his name from consideration. He's a stronger candidate in Green Bay than some may think.

Bossman641
01-02-2018, 08:27 AM
My thoughts exactly.

There's a chance to get this right, maybe for a long time (TT was going to retire at some point anyway). If Murphy does it wrong, the good old days just ended.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'll give Murphy credit, he's certainly putting his reputation on the line. The easy decision (and the one I would have made) would have been to run it back with a new defensive coordinator. There are a number of ways this could go wrong - the new GM simply isn't very good, we lose McCarthy and spend 2 years getting the system learned. Any of those happening mean we've seen the end of contending with Rodgers.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 10:00 AM
McGinn reports that the Executive Committee asked Murphy to move on from Thompson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/report-board-of-directors-instructed-murphy-to-remove-thompson-from-g-m-job/

Does anyone have a subscription to McGinn's site or is it just garbage?

Specifically, the 45-member Board of Directors instructed CEO Mark Murphy to remove Thompson from the job.

McGinn points to “public images” of Thompson and “some recent interaction” with team executives as the impetus for the move, listing various factors that contributed to the conclusion that Thompson’s health prevents him from continuing in the job.

McGinn’s article delves into specifics that, indeed, would make Thompson unfit to continue in such a demanding job. It’s unclear what the issue is, but the concern generally relates to his ability to properly focus.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 10:08 AM
PB, that's really, really interesting. Does anyone here have access to McGinn's site?

If the board said "get rid of this guy, he's unfit", my gut feeling is it's a health issue instead of a performance issue.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 10:10 AM
One thing to remember: Brian Gutekunst was reportedly the favorite for the 49ers GM job before he withdrew his name from consideration. He's a stronger candidate in Green Bay than some may think.

I hear he is under consideration in Houston too so this might be why Ted is stepping down.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 10:14 AM
PB, that's really, really interesting. Does anyone here have access to McGinn's site?

If the board said "get rid of this guy, he's unfit", my gut feeling is it's a health issue instead of a performance issue.

The problem with McGinn's report is that it seems to be based on personal feelings. I am not sure how solid it is, Wilde was VERY reluctant to bring it up.

To give you a sense of the rumor mongering nature of it, the piece ends with weird speculation from a "friend" of McCarthy that thinks he is too heavy and old to have the same energy from 10 years ago.

BZnDallas
01-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Throw me in the cautiously optimistic category. Happy to be trying something new, but realizing 8 out of 9 playoffs with a SB is a GREAT feat. #thanksted

Tony Oday
01-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Any time AR is playing he is a contender as proven the last 5 years. Throw in immediate help in the defensive backfield and a legit ILB and we could be dynamite.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Any time AR is playing he is a contender as proven the last 5 years. Throw in immediate help in the defensive backfield and a legit ILB and we could be dynamite.

Anyone who lists ILB as a need before pass rush has a slow leak in their helmet.

Tony, I would take it in to have it looked at. :D

Rutnstrut
01-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Throw me in the cautiously optimistic category. Happy to be trying something new, but realizing 8 out of 9 playoffs with a SB is a GREAT feat. #thanksted

Thanksted for AR. Rodgers could get the Browns to the playoffs. He is the deodorant for all that stinks on this team.

Rutnstrut
01-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Anyone who lists ILB as a need before pass rush has a slow leak in their helmet.

Tony, I would take it in to have it looked at. :D

A legit pass rush would make the whole defense better as Rodgers makes the offense better. as usual you are spot on pb.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 10:35 AM
The problem with McGinn's report is that it seems to be based on personal feelings. I am not sure how solid it is, Wilde was VERY reluctant to bring it up.

To give you a sense of the rumor mongering nature of it, the piece ends with weird speculation from a "friend" of McCarthy that thinks he is too heavy and old to have the same energy from 10 years ago.

Fascinating. I would love to see the article in it's entirety.

There's this piece from Jan 1 2017, so last year this time, that says TT would likely transition to a senior advisor after the season. This is pretty much exactly what happened.

Ian Rapoport is pretty darn accurate for the most part. Maybe this was planned?

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Report-Packers-GM-Ted-Thompson-likely-to-step-down-this-season-50193006

gbgary
01-02-2018, 10:43 AM
McGinn reports that the Executive Committee asked Murphy to move on from Thompson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/report-board-of-directors-instructed-murphy-to-remove-thompson-from-g-m-job/

goes with what many have thought the last two years about how ted seemed during pressers.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 10:44 AM
goes with what many have thought the last two years about how ted seemed during pressers.

That is kind of the problem with the report though, it might just be stitching rumor to act without any solid info.

gbgary
01-02-2018, 10:56 AM
That is kind of the problem with the report though, it might just be stitching rumor to act without any solid info.

agreed. time will tell...maybe. as private as we're told he is it may be a while.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Gutenkunst on the list for GM job with Texans.

Highsmith getting interview with Dorsey in Cleveland.

These were all on radio, don't have links.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 11:03 AM
I think he is a hostage to the Murphy AI program.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSjOO8LWsAAtAT_.jpg:large

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2018, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire, but the last 3 years or so the team has become very limited talentwise. I mean if TT is a spectacular GM, what position groups on the Packers are even average or above on the current roster? Where are the playmakers? Why did we need a miracle comeback to beat a team that ended up 0-16 after being told that Aaron's backup was more than capable? What are his great moves and acquisitions of late? I think you guys minimize how good Aaron is at squeezing everything out of this team he can. It seems like after watching things unfold this season, the glaring talent deficiencies would be obvious but I guess not.

For once, I agree with you.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Don't think he'll be available at 14 but he's my favorite "somewhat realistic" pick for the Packers this year. He's a complete monster.

The other guy in that game - Okogorokogoro or whatever looked better, and he's more what we need, a speed rusher.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Gutenkunst on the list for GM job with Texans.

Highsmith getting interview with Dorsey in Cleveland.

These were all on radio, don't have links.

I'm told Packers senior personnel executive Alonzo Highsmith will be visiting with Johny Dorsey and the Cleveland Browns today. Could jump to Dorsey's staff from Green Bay.

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
The Packers have given high-ranking scout Alonzo Highsmith permission to interview with at least one other team, a source said. He will interview with Browns GM John Dorsey today, as the Green Bay Press-Gazette first reported. https://t.co/TppTrvKHoN

Gutekunst: https://scout.com/nfl/texans/Article/Texans-Add-Monti-Ossenfort-and-Brian-Gutekunst-to-the-GM-Search-113083773

red
01-02-2018, 11:25 AM

I find this very troubling, we need to hear all the info on this

I think it was last years draft during an interview where I first noticed he didn’t sound right, if he went a full year with some serious problem and was only removed after the committee made Murphy do it, then that doesn’t look good for murphy

pbmax
01-02-2018, 11:29 AM

I think it was last years draft during an interview where I first noticed he didn’t sound right, if he went a full year with some serious problem and was only removed after the committee made Murphy do it, then that doesn’t look good for murphy

That is why the report makes no sense beneath the facade. Its based on photos like your avatar. Literally. McGinn wrote "images" of Thompson looking less than attentive helped drive the decision. Unless there is more, the report is bogus.

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Red, we don't know the whole truth about Murphy and the Board, nor are we likely to ever know. For all we know, Murphy may have been a sort of consensus builder who wanted input from the Board, so that he didn't make a move that seemed too unilateral to the Board, and create a problem for himself if they didn't agree with his line of thinking. If he actually approached the Board first, I can see why. Then he would have had someone besides himself to bounce the idea off of. He may have indeed had concerns about whether TT was fit to continue as GM, but stopped to take the temperature of the Board. That's pure conjecture on my part, but could have happened.

3irty1
01-02-2018, 11:44 AM
That is why the report makes no sense beneath the facade. Its based on photos like your avatar. Literally. McGinn wrote "images" of Thompson looking less than attentive helped drive the decision. Unless there is more, the report is bogus.

The report looks like it was based on quotes from a lot of anonymous "friends" of Thompson. See GC.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 11:59 AM
The report looks like it was based on quotes from a lot of anonymous "friends" of Thompson. See GC.

What is GC?

swede
01-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Chris Mortensen

@mortreport

5:44 PM - Jan 1, 2018

Chris Mortensen

@mortreport
Russ Ball, Packers VP of football administration, player personnel director Brian Gutenkunst and possibly director of football ops Eliot Wolf are expected to have re-defined duties as Thompson moves to another role, per sources.

5:49 PM - Jan 1, 2018

This seems to be bad news if you are rooting to have a new HC.

We can't know if Ted has trusted his scouting staff too much or consistently overruled its advice--either way there has been a pretty serious slip in talent/play on both sides of the ball. If you are going to kick Ted upstairs please follow the move with a legitimate search for a new football direction. Without a new GM from outside the organization it will be hard to dump MM. If you keep MM you keep the culture that goes with him--all the paperclips in alphabetical order and underwhelming play on the field.

wist43
01-02-2018, 12:19 PM
What is GC?

Gas Chromatograph.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 12:24 PM

I know I am going to have to read it. But I am not going to be happy no matter what.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 12:32 PM
I know I am going to have to read it. But I am not going to be happy no matter what.

Its exactly as terrible as you imagine it. Its this board's observations of Thompson once in a Exec Board meeting, once on a scouting trip and his picture on a TV.

Its either a dumb person's take on the process (rumors masquerading as motivation by a source who doesn't know anything) or its the worst basis for a decision ever.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2018, 12:55 PM

WHY do you find this troubling? The executive committee is undoubtedly much more reflective of the fan base than Murphy. That committee is where the power should lie. It's about time they lit a fire under Murphy to get rid of Ted.

beveaux1
01-02-2018, 12:55 PM
We aren't going to get the full story on this change of leadership. TT will never do another press conference, nor will he comment on what might have transpired. I'd be very surprised if Murphy ever commented unless it was to say that it was a mutual decision or it was TTs decision to lessen his work load.

My guess is still that it's a health related decision that was not a surprise to Murphy. In fact, it had been planned since last offseason. I think Murphy already knows who the new GM will be, but will have to go through the public process of interviewing.

gbgary
01-02-2018, 01:09 PM
murphy said board had nothing to do the the TT decision. it was all on him.

also said MM is the coach next year and confirmed the extension.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:11 PM
McCarthy has the authority to hire new coaches regardless of GM search.

Ted made call on McCarthy contract. He remains GM until the new guy hired.

Murphy doesn't seem to concerned with hiring outside guy leads to others leaving in a huff.

Also doesn't seem wedded to idea of Wolf protege. I am liking Murphy more and more, though he is barely ahead of Ted in projecting authority.

Throws water on restructuring and reshuffling report by Mort.

Also says FA activity is not a prerequisite. He won't tie hands of next GM with mandate. Goal is to win championship not method of player acquisition.

gbgary
01-02-2018, 01:14 PM

I think it was last years draft during an interview where I first noticed he didn’t sound right

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?29672-Official-Day-3-Of-The-2017-NFL-Draft-Thread&p=927152&viewfull=1#post927152

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2018, 01:14 PM
My guess is still that it's a health related decision that was not a surprise to Murphy. In fact, it had been planned since last offseason. I think Murphy already knows who the new GM will be, but will have to go through the public process of interviewing.

Probably so.

I'm going to fly the TT flag for a while in homage to our fallen leader.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:24 PM
And the audio has cut out of the Live Feed. Good start!

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:29 PM
murphy said board had nothing to do the the TT decision. it was all on him.

also said MM is the coach next year and confirmed the extension.

Yep. One of the things he emphasized was that that report was wrong. Board doesn't work that way and did not issue orders about Ted's status.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:31 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?29672-Official-Day-3-Of-The-2017-NFL-Draft-Thread&p=927152&viewfull=1#post927152

Two or three spring/summers ago he had a medical procedure on his leg or hip I think. Reporters noted he was gone for a bit during this time and when he came back seemed a little lost. By camp he had returned to more normal, but did not really come across the same way anymore.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:35 PM
The only hiccup in Murphy's good performance was exactly this:

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Murphy, after earlier saying GM would hire/fire the coach, he is asked if he will require that McCarthy is the coach in 2018: "Mike is our man. He is our coach. ... He will be our coach."

So new GM gets coaching hire/fire, but only after one year of M3.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:36 PM
No one asked the most important question: Will the next GM commit to naming someone named Mike as HC of the Green Bay Packers should they need to hire?

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 01:56 PM
The thing that scares me is I think Ted has done a great job at parts of his tenure, a bad job in parts, and has lately done a pretty darn good job.

Overall, I have confident in TT to do a pretty good job and field a competitive team. I also know he won't totally screw or tank the organization. He has 13 years of accumulated trust.

I don't have any trust in Murphy to be honest because he doesn't have a track record and hasn't made to make any big decisions. This is a scary moment for the Packers.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Here's the McGinn article on Ted/Mike.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7nn74f/board_of_directors_instructed_ceo_mark_murphy_to/ds35i33/

George Cumby
01-02-2018, 04:07 PM
So here’s a random thought on the situation. Nobody saw this coming. Clearly CommSec is tight at 1265. If Ted had real enemies who wanted to do him wrong they would have leaked this long ago. This speaks well for both Murphy for keeping things under wraps and Ted for not making enemies.

Zool
01-02-2018, 04:16 PM
So here’s a random thought on the situation. Nobody saw this coming. Clearly CommSec is tight at 1265. If Ted had real enemies who wanted to do him wrong they wouldn’t leaked this long ago. This speaks well for both Murphy for keeping things under wraps and Ted for not making enemies.

Or maybe this was all Ted's idea and no one else was privy to the info.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 04:17 PM

I think the McCarthy extension argues against that. The only reason to do it is to avoid McCarthy getting a lot of lame duck questions next year with Ted's future in some doubt.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 04:32 PM
I think the McCarthy extension argues against that. The only reason to do it is to avoid McCarthy getting a lot of lame duck questions next year with Ted's future in some doubt.

I don't really get this. If stepping down was Ted's idea, his extension of Mac to do his buddy a solid (like Sherman before him) was appropriate.

beveaux1
01-02-2018, 04:37 PM
I don't really get this. If stepping down was Ted's idea, his extension of Mac to do his buddy a solid (like Sherman before him) was appropriate.

This makes sense to me. Wouldn't TT have been the instigator of this extension?

George Cumby
01-02-2018, 04:38 PM

Could be but didn’t Murphy claim the decision was his, Murphys, at todays presser?

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Now this is strange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7npkwl/jason_wilde_thompson_was_also_extended_1_year_in/

Wilde is reporting that TT was extended along with MM in December.

Zool
01-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Could be but didn’t Murphy claim the decision was his, Murphys, at todays presser?

I didn't watch today. I would think all monetary decisions go through Murphy ultimately, that's why I don't think the Adams and Lindsley extensions were any sort of catalyst.

beveaux1
01-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Now this is strange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7npkwl/jason_wilde_thompson_was_also_extended_1_year_in/

Wilde is reporting that TT was extended along with MM in December.

Again, not surprising. If TT went to Murphy and said he wanted to extend MM and TT had thoughts about a job shift, Murphy would want the same extension for TT.

It's not surprising that TT would sign the extension knowing he was not planning to remain GM, in order to benefit MM and keep him from being a lame duck.

beveaux1
01-02-2018, 04:51 PM
I'm more convinced that health problems caused TT to leave the GM position. I also think Murphy offered him the scouting (advisor) position. This is what made this a "mutual" decision.

run pMc
01-02-2018, 05:45 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7nn74f/board_of_directors_instructed_ceo_mark_murphy_to/ds35i33/

Thanks for the link. The Comments are pretty funny. McGinn has been very critical of TT for years, no surprise that hasn't changed. TT has helped the Packers have a pretty good run, Brandon Bostick notwithstanding.

I do think McCarthy is a reasonably good coach -- better than most -- and would get snapped up in a heartbeat by one of several teams (Detroit for example). The coaching staff changes will be interesting to watch.

denverYooper
01-02-2018, 05:49 PM
For the record, I am in the Cumby/Shadow/PB camp of "be careful what you wished for". The bar TT set has been pretty high. I will be nervous until the next GM has at least 2 years of good performance under the belt.

red
01-02-2018, 06:58 PM
I just read the McGinn article

That is fucking embarrassing

It sounds like he’s had the problem for awhile and a lot of people knew it. Yet Murphy allowed him to keep running things. Guy should be in a nursing home, not running a pro sports team

gbgary
01-02-2018, 07:31 PM

It sounds like he’s had the problem for awhile and a lot of people knew it. Yet Murphy allowed him to keep running things. Guy should be in a nursing home, not running a pro sports team

maybe the other front office guys were really doing the job.

gbgary
01-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Two or three spring/summers ago he had a medical procedure on his leg or hip I think. Reporters noted he was gone for a bit during this time and when he came back seemed a little lost. By camp he had returned to more normal, but did not really come across the same way anymore.

i remember hearing that. bet it was the anesthesia. sometimes people (and animals) have issues with general anesthesia.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2018, 08:07 PM
So McGinn is peddling a story that Ted has some sort of mental problem? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. I doubt the old guy is any crazier than he's ever been. If that's the case, then it would be expected that the Packer would go with somebody with the same mindset as Ted. That, IMO, would be no better than what we have now.

I HOPE it's a case of the powers that be getting sick of Ted's way of doing things. That way, we get the kind of improvement to the team that brings championships.

As for McCarthy, we can win with him if the team has the talent. I don't see him as a difference maker - the kind of coach who can make a bad team good or a good team great, but I also don't see him fucking things up if the quality of players is great enough. That's the essence of "playing to not lose".

denverYooper
01-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Signing the two top FA guys is pretty much standard business in sign your own. Ball's job description doesn't need to change to get them done, he just needs a number.

Press has been speculating about Thompson's retirement since before his last contract.

Jumping this over to this thread in an attempt to consolidate thoughts on TT...

It seems to me that the speculation within the last year or 2 has gotten more specific about the plans -- that Thompson would step "down" to a position where he could do more work scouting and less of the managing, allowing one of the up-and-comers in the FO to step up. This appears to be mostly what is occurring, except Thompson did not know this was his time until the season ended.

I even halfway think that Murphy (probably with TT's input) already knows who he wants and the interview process and consultant hiring is mostly theater.

Bossman641
01-02-2018, 10:22 PM

The article is light on facts. I highly doubt the packers had a senile (or something similar) person running their personnel decisions.

woodbuck27
01-02-2018, 11:47 PM
I deleted my Post here:

Information I wanted to post was already posted by pbmax.

Two members of the Packers High Ranking Brass will possibly be or have been given permission to interview with The Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 12:06 AM

That was pretty clear to Mae and I watching his Press Conference right after the Last Draft.

Was I ' the only Packerrat', that saw this or that Ted Thompson looked clearly unwell? I certainly do (know now) and have believed that couldn't be the case.

As well, I've already as much posted (what this says below) and that I believed that TT and MM had a Pact to remain LOYAL to one another through anything and their current Contracts:

" Making the article even more intriguing is the manner in which it seems to hint in passing at the possibility of a new G.M. making a coaching change, primarily by pointing out that Thompson was never going to move on from Mike McCarthy. Now that the Packers are moving on from Thompson (as the G.M.), the question becomes whether the next G.M. will decide to stick with McCarthy. "

Comment woodbuck27:

I am clearly on Record here as wanting Mike McCarthy out and not the HC next Season. Certainly not now extended beyond the tenure provided in his current Contract Clearly. I have been on RECORD as wanting all three TT and MM and Dom Capers GONE before the real beginning of this Off Season and certainly for the 2018 Season. The time is clearly correct to simply clean the slate and more on.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 12:32 AM
The only hiccup in Murphy's good performance was exactly this:

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Murphy, after earlier saying GM would hire/fire the coach, he is asked if he will require that McCarthy is the coach in 2018: "Mike is our man. He is our coach. ... He will be our coach."

So new GM gets coaching hire/fire, but only after one year of M3.

Where is the Transcript of this matter and whatever Mark Murphy said?

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 12:35 AM
The article is light on facts. I highly doubt the packers had a senile (or something similar) person running their personnel decisions.

Have you been watching TT in Pressers?

It's too obvious that Ted Thompson had clear issues and addressing the Media.

Were they cognitive issues?

I thought so.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 12:59 AM

After reading that story:

We are in Big Trouble (based in it's utter accuracy) and having Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy make any decision as important as the Green Bay Packers GM.

Why in HELL did CEO Mark Murphy have to be approached to remove Ted Thompson as the Packers GM?

Why didn't CEO Mark Murphy simply see, that was necessary a long time before the beginning of the 2017 Season; and I mean before it's entire Off Season.. It was to obvious that TT was absolutely burnt out after the last Draft. It was very painfully obvious that he was struggling cognitively.

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2018, 01:23 AM
One would think they'd want to start interviewing this week, right? Maybe by the weekend we'll have a front runner.

It sure seems like the media thinks it's going to be Russ Ball, but I just don't see it. What would the advantage be? I don't think he will jump ship else where if he doesn't get promoted. I could see a scenario where the scouts do skip town if they're not given the gig.

What is it about the Packers front office that makes them historically so successful and create successful GMs? I am seriously wondering. Why do people think Wolf and Gutekunst are such talented scouts? I wonder what makes one stand out vs the other? I wonder which one TT preferred and viewed as a better talent?

My gut feeling is the GM will be Gutekunst. It's 100% based on age and no real facts beyond that. I'd love to hear some anecdotes and details about these candidates.

pbmax
01-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Jumping this over to this thread in an attempt to consolidate thoughts on TT...

It seems to me that the speculation within the last year or 2 has gotten more specific about the plans -- that Thompson would step "down" to a position where he could do more work scouting and less of the managing, allowing one of the up-and-comers in the FO to step up. This appears to be mostly what is occurring, except Thompson did not know this was his time until the season ended.

I even halfway think that Murphy (probably with TT's input) already knows who he wants and the interview process and consultant hiring is mostly theater.

I hope that is the case. I also hope that Murphy takes the opportunity to interview EVERYONE and get a picture about how other teams do business. He'd be doing a disservice to himself and the team. It'd be a step further than Harlan even took it.

I guess I saw all that talk about an old scout on the road as a nice story, same category as Favre on his tractor.

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Woody:

I'm not sure if this has bee placed on this thread so I'll post it:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/1/14146366/ted-thompson-packers-general-manager-new-role-hire

TODAY'S NFL NEWS

Packers GM Ted Thompson transitioning to new front office role, team will hire replacement

Thompson spent 13 seasons as the general manager of the Packers.

By Kaleel.Weatherly Updated Jan 2, 2018, 11:32am EST

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 11:29 PM
After reading that story:

We are in Big Trouble (based in it's utter accuracy) and having Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy make any decision as important as the Green Bay Packers GM.

Why in HELL did CEO Mark Murphy have to be approached to remove Ted Thompson as the Packers GM?

Why didn't CEO Mark Murphy simply see, that was necessary a long time before the beginning of the 2017 Season; and I mean before it's entire Off Season.. It was to obvious that TT was absolutely burnt out after the last Draft. It was very painfully obvious that he was struggling cognitively.

I retract this post as I did earlier this week on another Thread.

I did so after reading a categorical denial that anyone but himself (Packer President and CEO Mark Murphy) decided to dismiss Ted Thompson as Packer GM; and begin the Process to replace TT (as again totally) his (Mark Murphy's) personal decision.