PDA

View Full Version : WHAT SHOULD WE DO WITH MIKE MCCARTHY ???

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 07:42 PM
3 SIMPLE OPTIONS

Keep Him

Let him go

Let the new GM decide

red
01-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Let the new gm bring in his own coach

But I think he’ll stay

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 07:45 PM
The Headline is right here:

MM has to have his tiring act FIRED in Green Bay.

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 07:46 PM
I'm shocked I"m even creating this poll, but I keep reading some sentiment in here that MM needs to go.

I like to consider myself even keel...but at worst I can only think of 2-7 coaches I'd rather have.

I think MM is a good playcaller and does a good job.

But wondering if I"m in the minority.

IF you do vote for option 3 please give your bias in here on how you feel about MM being a top 10 coach or not

Bretsky
01-01-2018, 07:48 PM
AND if a new GM is hired, should he move fast or take a while ?

red
01-01-2018, 07:49 PM
I would think it was fat mike that fired capers. If they were gonna completely clean hous they would have just fired mike and his whole staff

It would be kind of a dick move to make a guy you are about to fire, fire his hero and good buddy

That is unless all these changes are coming from murphy

pbmax
01-01-2018, 07:55 PM
The structure is important. Even if you construct a Frankenstein front office to get a short term payoff, it will eventually come back to destroy its creators.

Or maybe that was Asimov, but you get my point.

Let the GM be in charge of all football, no fooling around.

red
01-01-2018, 08:01 PM
I think fat mike sucks as a coach

His teams are very often unmotivated and unprepared for big games

He way too often goes conservative and takes his foot off the gas and ends up costing us

He doesn’t use the running game enough, he doesn’t make coaching changes fast enough. He doesn’t know how to use a TE to save his life

He’s horrible at time management

He had a chance earlier this year to make a move for a QB to keep us in playoff contention, but he wanted his own guy that he groomed. That guy didn’t work out to well. And the real McCarthy offense we saw was pathetic

IMO, we win in spite of him, not because of him. We win because a rod is mostly changing up the plays at the LOS and playing backyard ball

That is why we win. Would a new coach come in and let a-rod do his own thing while fixing all the other issues, or would he tighten the reins and neuter Rodgers making us less effective

Joemailman
01-01-2018, 08:08 PM
The new GM will have enough to do without going through a head coach search and hire. Keep MM. If after a year, the GM and coach are a bad fit, then make a change. Seems that happened once before here and it worked fairly well.

call_me_ishmael
01-01-2018, 08:24 PM
He probably already agreed to or possibly even signed an extension ala Sherman, or he isn't coaching the Packers in 2018.

Fosco33
01-01-2018, 08:30 PM
I think it'll be Wolf and McCarthy stays.

Zool
01-01-2018, 08:33 PM
I voted option 3 because I have no say in the matter

wist43
01-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Stubby stays - cuz I said so :D

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 08:49 PM

This might be your answer:

https://media.tmz.com/2017/06/19/0619-jon-gruden-profile-200x250.jpg

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 08:51 PM
The new GM will have enough to do without going through a head coach search and hire. Keep MM. If after a year, the GM and coach are a bad fit, then make a change. Seems that happened once before here and it worked fairly well.

Baloney has Oakland hired this Guy yet?

Jon Gruden expected to become Raiders' head coach

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21928301/jon-gruden-expected-become-next-coach-oakland-raiders

QBME
01-01-2018, 09:02 PM

This. It will work out offensively as Aaron Rodgers just became the de facto Offensive Coordinator. MM is now the Assistant OC to handle the details.

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 09:14 PM

You're high.

woodbuck27
01-01-2018, 09:38 PM
You're high.

With the AWESOME News that TT is out...I'm certainly HIGH !

Joyous ! :clap:

George Cumby
01-01-2018, 09:39 PM
With the AWESOME News that TT is out...I'm certainly HIGH !

Joyous ! :clap:

Fair enough.

3irty1
01-02-2018, 04:46 AM
The only way I'd toss MM is if the Packers fall in love with a D-coordinator candidate and it takes an HC spot to land him.

MM is a pretty excellent coach but all things being equal a true guru on the defensive side of the ball is more valuable than the equivalent on offense. Not just for us but in general.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 07:22 AM
The Headline is right here:

MM has to have his tiring act FIRED in Green Bay.

Yeah, going to the playoffs 8 years in a row is tiring.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 07:23 AM

If the new GM is in house - someone they've been grooming to take over - Mike isn't going anywhere. Firing Capers might have saved his job too.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 07:25 AM

The Raiders can have him.

mission
01-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Yeah, going to the playoffs 8 years in a row is tiring.

Are you saying they wouldn't have made the playoffs without MM?

Pugger
01-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Are you saying they wouldn't have made the playoffs without MM?

I don't know for sure but his offenses were always pretty good - when the QB plays decently - compared to our defenses since 2011.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 08:38 AM
No one ever remembers the last five, strike that, seven years of Gruden's coaching face in Tampa.

You could look it up: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrudJo0.htm

No one accepts mediocrity like Jon Gruden.

Bossman641
01-02-2018, 09:37 AM
No one ever remembers the last five, strike that, seven years of Gruden's coaching face in Tampa.

You could look it up: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrudJo0.htm

pbmax, I would like a word with you...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Jeff_Fisher_Texans_vs_TItans_2010.jpg/200px-Jeff_Fisher_Texans_vs_TItans_2010.jpg

pbmax
01-02-2018, 09:45 AM
pbmax, I would like a word with you...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Jeff_Fisher_Texans_vs_TItans_2010.jpg/200px-Jeff_Fisher_Texans_vs_TItans_2010.jpg

Fair point. He is the King of 500.

Rutnstrut
01-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Yup, I don't get the love for Gruden as a coach. He took a team that was almost there, got them to the big show and then sucked afterwords.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Yup, I don't get the love for Gruden as a coach. He took a team that was almost there, got them to the big show and then sucked afterwords.

Another guy who rode good coaching success to a dual GM/final authority role with no evidence he is qualified to do both. His talent at being a face (in wrestling parlance, a good guy whom all believe) eclipses his talent at coaching.

In some ways he is less accomplished than Schottenheimer with a better public rep. Its baffling.

Pugger
01-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Yes, the Raiders can have him.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 11:11 AM
I wonder what Aaron thinks of all of this change.

mmmdk
01-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Stubby still sucks :lol: I voted to let the new Packers GM decide. Stubby is an ok coach, he started hot and looked good in the first half of his tenure in GB but he's burned out as a HC and he has had the good fortune of Favre plus Rodgers. McCarthy could be a great offensive coordinator when he leaves Green Bay - he could revive himself by taking lesser responsibilities somewhere else. Stubby might survive a new GM in GB but I'd say it's 80-90% sure he'll be fired after a mere year. Much like Mike II. But I also would give him 10-20% chance of succeeding with a lot of help....A LOT! A new red hot drafting GM having a Saints like draft in april, a bunch of key free agents that are home runs and lastly a new defensive staff that retools the defense...then Stubby could stay longer. That's a lot of 'ifs'.

gbgary
01-02-2018, 12:48 PM
turns out he was given a one extension in the middle of this season.

mmmdk
01-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Stubby?

pbmax
01-02-2018, 12:53 PM

So two years left on deal. 2018 and 19.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Makes sense. It's the same thing they did for Sherman. You don't want a checked out, lame duck coach. I still think all of these changes will really hurt with attracting a great DC for next season.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:09 PM
This deal, according to Demovsky, was done in the middle of the season. So Thompson and McCarthy's prospects may have diverged at that point.

McGinn made it sound like Thompson and McCarthy being linked was a possible liability. Doesn't seem like anyone was out for McCarthy at this point.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Makes sense. It's the same thing they did for Sherman. You don't want a checked out, lame duck coach. I still think all of these changes will really hurt with attracting a great DC for next season.

Except this was done before Thompson was kicked upstairs.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2018, 01:27 PM
It is sounding more and more like he wasn't kicked up stairs. I could very well be wrong, though.

pbmax
01-02-2018, 02:07 PM
So did Ted do Mike a favor by extending him a year because he knew he was actually going to leave?

One way or another, that seems the only reason to do one year. To give Mike a bridge to the new front office.

beveaux1
01-02-2018, 02:10 PM
So did Ted do Mike a favor by extending him a year because he knew he was actually going to leave?

One way or another, that seems the only reason to do one year. To give Mike a bridge to the new front office.

I think this was planned by TT. Wanted to make sure he was not a lame duck.

QBME
01-02-2018, 03:38 PM

To my look at it, this whole thing has been planned for weeks, if not months. MM's stealthy extension, extending Adams and Lindsley. Those financial investments by TT were not done unilaterally. The Packers are a billion dollar franchise, one of the reasons Murphy was brought in.

TT is still around to help however he can in the transition. The new GM will understand his first mission is to get the defense up to, or close to, par. MM is the Head Coach and Assistant OC to AR.

We're all worked up about who is who, and who is going to be who. Look for an up and coming defensive position coach with some sort of added moniker like "Under Secretary to the Deputy Assistant to the Defensive Coordinator" to be hired. Youngish, hip and driven.

mraynrand
01-02-2018, 05:32 PM
I'm in the category of hiring the GM and letting him assess Stubby. At the very least he should put him on a diet and treadmill regimen. On the other hand, Stubby might just keel over and save him the trouble of an evaluation. The local Golden Corral will suffer, however.

Joemailman
01-02-2018, 05:44 PM
I'm in the category of hiring the GM and letting him assess Stubby. At the very least he should put him on a diet and treadmill regimen. On the other hand, Stubby might just keel over and save him the trouble of an evaluation. The local Golden Corral will suffer, however.

Murphy was asked 2 questions about the GM/coach relationship.

Q: Will the new GM have the authority to hire the head coach?
A: Yes.

Q: Will the new GM be told that Mike McCarthy is the coach?
A: Yes. Mike is our guy.

The 2 question were not asked consecutively, or even in the same portion of the press conference.

MadScientist
01-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Murphy was asked 2 questions about the GM/coach relationship.

Q: Will the new GM have the authority to hire the head coach?
A: Yes.

Q: Will the new GM be told that Mike McCarthy is the coach?
A: Yes. Mike is our guy.

The 2 question were not asked consecutively, or even in the same portion of the press conference.

Sounds like the new GM will have the authority to make coaching changes (necessary for the position), but no mandate to do so right now. Since MM isn't the GM like Sherman was, he is more likely to work with a new GM. Also with TT still around in some capacity, I think the chances of a MM firing this year are almost 0.

Joemailman
01-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Sounds like the new GM will have the authority to make coaching changes (necessary for the position), but no mandate to do so right now. Since MM isn't the GM like Sherman was, he is more likely to work with a new GM. Also with TT still around in some capacity, I think the chances of a MM firing this year are almost 0.

They should be. Whoever the new GM is, he's going to need to spend the bulk of his time getting ready for free agency and the draft. Not interviewing head coaching candidates.

Joemailman
01-02-2018, 08:28 PM
TT might not be the only one with a health issue. It's kind of shocking to see how MM has changed physically in 12 years. This for a guy whose brother died at a young age just a few years ago from a heart attack.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9a/9d/f2/9a9df210702f35b722463ce5e20243ab--packers-nfl-greenbay-packers.jpghttps://mediaassets.tmj4.com/photo/2017/12/13/poster%20_OP_24_CP__1513191149659_74214372_ver1.0_ 640_480.jpg

red
01-02-2018, 08:56 PM
I’d like to know just when during this shitshow of a season, someone decided to reward m3 with another year on his contract

I hope it was during the first 5 games, because the last 11 were not worth rewarding

pbmax
01-02-2018, 09:13 PM
I’d like to know just when during this shitshow of a season, someone decided to reward m3 with another year on his contract

I hope it was during the first 5 games, because the last 11 were not worth rewarding

I actually agree with this. M3 waited until too late to assess the problem on D and supposedly, on offense.

He shouldn't have been rewarded for this delay. However, I bet it was done to eliminate distractions for the front office than reward M3.

Joemailman
01-02-2018, 09:27 PM
I'm okay with them not wanting to have a lame duck coach.

It's a different dynamic now. The guy who will have the authority to fire MM is not the guy who hired him. Maybe that will make him more proactive about making needed changes.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 02:34 PM

It's the height of absolute ( Edit: hogwash or hokum or bunk or phooey) and what we are finally learning about the disorganization in Green Bay.

Why did the Organization wait all this time to inform us that Mike McCarthy was extended some time during the Season?

Especially that and given what was obvious to anyone who watches it all carefully. The Body Language and Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy clearly spelled TROUBLE. How many here are missing this stuff?

" Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported last year the relationship between McCarthy and superstar Aaron Rodgers was "inching closer to implosion." Florio noted if things broke down further someone would have to leave, and "it won't be the quarterback."

The situation didn't appear as tenuous throughout the 2017 season as Rodgers' collarbone injury reduced expectations for much of the year prior to his Week 15 return. The team finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs."

Pugger
01-03-2018, 02:47 PM
TT might not be the only one with a health issue. It's kind of shocking to see how MM has changed physically in 12 years. This for a guy whose brother died at a young age just a few years ago from a heart attack.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9a/9d/f2/9a9df210702f35b722463ce5e20243ab--packers-nfl-greenbay-packers.jpghttps://mediaassets.tmj4.com/photo/2017/12/13/poster%20_OP_24_CP__1513191149659_74214372_ver1.0_ 640_480.jpg

We all change as we age. Look at the 2 people in your avatar.

Pugger
01-03-2018, 02:52 PM
It's the height of absolute Bullshit and what we are finally learning about the disorganization in Green Bay.

Why did the Organization wait all this time to inform us that Mike McCarthy was extended some time during the Season?

Especially that and given what was obvious to anyone who watches it all carefully. The Body Language and Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy clearly spelled TROUBLE. How many here are missing this stuff?

" Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported last year the relationship between McCarthy and superstar Aaron Rodgers was "inching closer to implosion." Florio noted if things broke down further someone would have to leave, and "it won't be the quarterback."

The situation didn't appear as tenuous throughout the 2017 season as Rodgers' collarbone injury reduced expectations for much of the year prior to his Week 15 return. The team finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs."

I read and post on several Packers' message boards and you are the only one who is talking about discord and trouble in Titletown. I don't think the situation is as dire as you are suggesting. IMO all of this is rather healthy. A lot of folks felt that change was needed and now that it has come everything is gonna go to hell? You may not think highly of MM - and you wouldn't be alone here - but if we should fire him he'd be unemployed for a very short period of time.

Zool
01-03-2018, 02:57 PM
It's the height of absolute Bullshit and what we are finally learning about the disorganization in Green Bay.

Language!

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 03:16 PM
I read and post on several Packers' message boards and you are the only one who is talking about discord and trouble in Titletown. I don't think the situation is as dire as you are suggesting. IMO all of this is rather healthy. A lot of folks felt that change was needed and now that it has come everything is gonna go to hell? You may not think highly of MM - and you wouldn't be alone here - but if we should fire him he'd be unemployed for a very short period of time.

I don't care how long he'd be unemployed.

The fact he's employed now for two more Seasons does bother me. A lot more about how this went down and is being revealed really bothers me as a Packer fan that expects the very best and Super Bowl.

Too many people on here just don't see it as I obviously must see it as it's in your face.

I've never been one to sell out to the TRUTH and incompetence.

I know now that Super Bowl and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay is a certain remote possibility and retaining Mike McCarthy. Keeping Mike McCarthy is simply 'Just wrong'.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Language!

What !?

Calling what we are learning out now and using the term BULLSHIT is language?

I'll try to find a more acceptable word for you Moderator ZOOL; but that will possibly be a challenge? :idea:

Let's see being a Co-Operative sort what I can come up with ? :cnf:

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Language!

To be in compliance with your needs I Edited the word ' Bullshit ' in my above Post Zool.

I TRUST that pleases you. :glug:

ThunderDan
01-03-2018, 04:34 PM
I don't care how long he'd be unemployed.

The fact he's employed now for two more Seasons does bother me. A lot more about how this went down and is being revealed really bothers me as a Packer fan that expects the very best and Super Bowl.

Too many people on here just don't see it as I obviously must see it as it's in your face.

I've never been one to sell out to the TRUTH and incompetence.

I know now that Super Bowl and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay is a certain remote possibility and retaining Mike McCarthy. Keeping Mike McCarthy is simply 'Just wrong'.

Just to calm the natives, you posted just a few days ago that TT, MM and DC were going to be with the Packers in 2018.

So...I am not going to take what you post as gospel.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Maybe, Your 'only' looking at and accepting that, which buys into your view as to what's correct and being a Packer Fan.

I believe this:

Being a Fan of any sport is coming to that Table with all your senses alert to what's most likely happening. To determine that and Being a Green Bay Packer fan is extremely challenging. Too often Packer fans cannot admit the TRUTH for some reason even to him/herself. That any dedicated Packer fan could possibly not see Issues and TT's health amazes me.

That Packer fans could not clearly see flaws in MM and his tiring game, bad disposition and obvious denial of his ability to even Coach Up and prepare his Backup QB is a real headshaker.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/corys-corner-mike-mccarthy-is-now-on-notice-155

Read this Page (See above) and you'll see plenty in here that agrees with having Packer HC Mike McCarthy placed on a very short Leash in the 2018 Season. MM's got to show us all a lot more next Season; or It must be Bye Bye Mike McCarthy and Good Luck.

Why!?

It's now all about his act working with arguably the BEST QB that possibly the NFL has ever seen in terms of ability/talent.

Winning NFCN Championships doesn't wash any more. It needs to be about a lot more.That's not at all and the past; rather all about now... NOW !

I'll not say this writer has all his ducks lined up; yet (he, I assume) makes a clear case and the obvious, that not all is GREAT and Packer HC Mike McCarty. MM has to be definitely placed on notice or that short leash. The TT Security Blanky has now officially been taken away. There was never going to be any way that TT would release Mike McCarthy. I'm not so sure that MM had TT's back. I do NOT trust Mike McCarthy.

It's been clearly and too often painfully obvious that Mike McCarthy doesn't do well under pressure.

(See LINK above Please)

Cory's Corner: Mike McCarthy is now on notice

By: Cory Jennerjohn on Jan 02, 2018 with 136 Comments

mraynrand
01-03-2018, 04:54 PM
I've never been one to sell out to the TRUTH

:cnf:

gbgary
01-03-2018, 05:00 PM

i don't have a problem with it. the new gm can let him go after next year, if he wants, with a little token of the organization's esteem...a year's salary.

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:01 PM
I don't understand how this is any different than Sherman's situation. Except the odds of McCarthy surviving are better because the team is better and he was not formerly the GM.

gbgary
01-03-2018, 05:21 PM
disorganization? everything runs like clockwork at 1265. from all accounts TT ran things with an iron fist. it was his way only. just look at Highsmith's recent comments, or the way MM exploded when he got a followup Kaepernick question. the only thing that was disorganized was the defensive backfield lol. i think EVERYONE there are going to be a lot happier now.

Joemailman
01-03-2018, 05:31 PM
They should be. Whoever the new GM is, he's going to need to spend the bulk of his time getting ready for free agency and the draft. Not interviewing head coaching candidates.

This was my 20,000th post. 8th member in the 20,000 club. Patler is next in line.

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:37 PM
This was my 20,000th post. 8th member in the 20,000 club. Patler is next in line.

Congrats. There is no reward program though.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 05:41 PM

CONGRATULATIONS !

:tup:

Zool
01-03-2018, 11:20 PM
To be in compliance with your needs I Edited the word ' Bullshit ' in my above Post Zool.

I TRUST that pleases you. :glug:

Your hypocracy knows no bounds. Your posting on the other hand knows no....what’s the word....intelligibility.

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 07:47 AM
Your hypocracy knows no bounds. Your posting on the other hand knows no....what’s the word....intelligibility.

woodbuck27:

Join Date ... Mar 2006; Location : Canada; Posts: 28,629

ZOOL: I'm sure trying and I must try harder to please you.

(Thinking)

Should that be a primary focus of my life; or is it really this? :pack:

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 10:41 AM
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-mike-mccarthy-received--year-contract-extension-during-season/article_d3e0da9b-a7b9-5ebe-b6b5-b40b4019cbcb.html

PACKERS | NOTES

Packers: Mike McCarthy received 1-year contract extension during season

JASON WILDE For the State Journal Jan 3, 2018

" Murphy confirmed what ESPN.com reported earlier Tuesday and an NFL source confirmed to the State Journal, that the Packers had signed McCarthy to a one-year contract extension during the season. Believed to have been in December, the deal extended McCarthy through the 2019 season and prevented him from being a lame-duck coach next year.

“Ted made the decision and I was involved as well,” Murphy said. “During the season, we gave Mike a one-year extension.”

That extension wouldn’t preclude a new GM from hiring a new head coach after next season "

Cheesehead Craig
01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
I think we should try and lure MM to an Old Country Buffett in the GB area and have a representation of PackerRats there to discuss the team situation with him. We can block him from seconds, thirds and fourths until he listens to us and answers our questions.

Joemailman
01-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Michael Cohen
@Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy said he will interview both internal and external candidates for the defensive coordinator position. He expects the interview to start quickly.

Twitter
Michael Cohen
@Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy said he will continue to call plays even with the shakeup on the offensive coaching staff, and specifically the redefinition of the offensive coordinator role.

Twitter
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
McCarthy says he's continuing to talk with Edgar Bennett about retaining him on staff, but he won't be the #Packers offensive coordinator. AVP also gone as his contract expired, and he's looking for new opportunities.

Twitter
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
Add #Packers CBs coach Joe Whitt to list of in-house candidates being interviewed for defensive coordinator’s job. Also Darren Perry and possibly Winston Moss.

Twitter
Michael Cohen
@Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy not committing to keeping the 3-4 scheme. "How we communicate and structure player acquisition — particularly through the draft — and how we fit it to our defense, that's really my focal point."

Twitter
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
McCarthy acknowledges #Packers "are having guys play a little bit too soon," but he believes that's consistent throughout the league.

Twitter
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
McCarthy asked how he feels about his job security with new GM coming in: "It's fit. I'm very comfortable with where I am in my career. Frankly, I'm more concentrated on the fit of the GM. And fit is a two-way street. It has to fit together."

Twitter
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
McCarthy says Aaron Rodgers' input "is very important" during this time, but "players play and coaches coach."

"I clearly understand where Aaron is in his career, the magnitude of what he brings to our organization. But it would be ignorant to put any of these changes on him."

Twitter
Michael Cohen
@Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy says philosophically it's important for the defensive coordinator to be part of the hiring process for assistant coaches. So if the DC is an external candidate, McCarthy will talk to him about that possibility

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
McCarthy said Ball's resume is diverse and has done a lot of really good things. But to be fair, they're all good candidates. Said he's very familiar with Ball.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
McCarthy on Hundley: "I think lot of good things Brett did. A lot of things highlighted and blown out of proportion that didn't go right. He made significant improvement. I felt he should have been better prepared for the situation. But once he got his opportunity, he maxed out.

Twitter
Michael Cohen
@Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy says he's very "comfortable, confident and appreciative" of his involvement in the GM hiring process.

Twitter
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood
McCarthy on how he feels about his role in #Packers GM search: "I'm very comfortable, confident and appreciative of my position in the process."

Michael Cohen
@Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy says Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was disappointed in the way he played this season. Clinton-Dix wants to be a bigger part of the leadership group moving forward.

Twitter
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein
McCarthy said there was a common theme among players that there needs to be more leadership in the locker room.

ichael Cohen
@Michael_Cohen13
McCarthy says he told Damarious Randall to focus on himself heading into next season. "He needs to go home and self-evaluate and clean his own house. We all need to clean our own house." Randall was very vocal about some of the issues on defense.

pbmax
01-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Did anyone catch the second line of questioning about defense? M3 said frankly, whatever else is happening, the defense needs to outplay the offense.

Radio was all over this like it was a burning bush. “Can you imagine the Packers with a defense like the Vikings?” They took it to mean M3 was changing the organizational mission to make the packer defense outplay the packer offense.

But I took it to mean the defense has got to win its matchup weekly regardless of scheme, injury or youth.

Opinions?

George Cumby
01-04-2018, 12:45 PM
I, too, took it to mean the Packers D needed to out play the Packers O which was a "Wut?" Moment. Reading your post, it makes more sense that M3 meant the Packers D needs to be better than the opponents O.

Joemailman
Did anyone catch the second line of questioning about defense? M3 said frankly, whatever else is happening, the defense needs to outplay the offense.

Radio was all over this like it was a burning bush. “Can you imagine the Packers with a defense like the Vikings?” They took it to mean M3 was changing the organizational mission to make the packer defense outplay the packer offense.

But I took it to mean the defense has got to win its matchup weekly regardless of scheme, injury or youth.

Opinions?

I think your take is right. I was initially surprised by what he said, but your take makes more sense.

Smidgeon
" I felt he should have been better prepared for the situation."

That is why the OC and QB coach will change.

Makes me think M3 delegates more of the offense than we assume. His QB involvement may be limited to offseason. Who knows, but it's interesting.

Joemailman
01-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Here's a link if anyone wants to watch the PC. https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mrGmZQbwPNJy

gbgary
01-04-2018, 03:20 PM
" I felt he should have been better prepared for the situation."

That is why the OC and QB coach will change.

Makes me think M3 delegates more of the offense than we assume. His QB involvement may be limited to offseason. Who knows, but it's interesting.

after 10 weeks of preparation he still sucked...badly. the game moves too fast for him. he shouldn't have been out there...on the 53 even. should have had a vet backup. that's on TT.

pbmax
01-04-2018, 03:35 PM
after 10 weeks of preparation he still sucked...badly. the game moves too fast for him. he shouldn't have been out there...on the 53 even. should have had a vet backup. that's on TT.

That one hung in the air. I don't know what McCarthy thought he was selling by talking about improvement after his start. And I am not being snarky, I would love to know what he saw outside of a couple of games.

call_me_ishmael
01-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Taking the press conference all in, I am 100% convinced he is going for a wicked simple defensive system and a coach that has a track record plugging in inexperienced pieces.

Joemailman
01-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Fangio interviewed for Bears HC job yesterday. Bears are also reportedly interested in talking to both Vikings coordinators. Best case scenario is that Bears hire Vikings DC George Edwards, leaving Fangio available for the Packers.

gbgary
01-04-2018, 04:32 PM
That one hung in the air. I don't know what McCarthy thought he was selling by talking about improvement after his start. And I am not being snarky, I would love to know what he saw outside of a couple of games.

and blown coverages.

bobblehead
01-04-2018, 05:04 PM

Opinions?

Pretty self evident. He said the D has to stop the other teams O. It was a nothing TT like statement. The fact anyone could get something out of it is due to bias.

pbmax
01-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Pretty self evident. He said the D has to stop the other teams O. It was a nothing TT like statement. The fact anyone could get something out of it is due to bias.

Its more than bias, nearly everyone who commented quickly was thrown by it, including myself while listening.

I had to go back and think about why he would say that (why use your offense as the measuring stick?) when it occurred to me it was an awkward sentence construction to convey a basic point. Defense needs to be better than average.

Joemailman
01-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
#Vikings OC Pat Shurmur, who is interviewing with the #Lions today, will have his interview with the #AZCardinals tonight, source said.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
The #Lions spent the morning interviewing #Packers Associate Head Coach/Linebackers Winston Moss for their vacant head coach position.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
#Patriots assistant interview plans: #Giants to Matt Patricia & Josh McDaniels Friday. ... #Colts talked with McDaniels last night. ... #Bears slated for McDaniels on Friday. ... #AZCardinals set for Patricia & LBs coach Brian Flores Saturday. #Lions get Patricia this weekend.

.Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
The #Packers are interviewing Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf for their now-vacant GM job today, source said. One of three strong in-house candidates.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
The #Dolphins are naming Dowell Loggains as their new offensive coordinator, source said. Big hire.

Former OC Clyde Christensen likely to remain with the team and transition to another role.

ZachMN
01-04-2018, 07:56 PM
I think fat mike sucks as a coach

His teams are very often unmotivated and unprepared for big games

He way too often goes conservative and takes his foot off the gas and ends up costing us

He doesn’t use the running game enough, he doesn’t make coaching changes fast enough. He doesn’t know how to use a TE to save his life

He’s horrible at time management

He had a chance earlier this year to make a move for a QB to keep us in playoff contention, but he wanted his own guy that he groomed. That guy didn’t work out to well. And the real McCarthy offense we saw was pathetic

IMO, we win in spite of him, not because of him. We win because a rod is mostly changing up the plays at the LOS and playing backyard ball

That is why we win. Would a new coach come in and let a-rod do his own thing while fixing all the other issues, or would he tighten the reins and neuter Rodgers making us less effective

I agree with this except Aaron Nagler reported that Hundley was TT's guy. Not sure if that is true so if someone can confirm or contest that please do.

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 08:53 PM
I need to drop this somewhere to read it later so it's going in this thread:

https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Fit-Fills-Green-Bay-Packers-Coach-Mike-McCarthys-Thoughts-on-GM-Coordinator-Searches-113211198

‘Fit’ Fills McCarthy’s Thoughts on GM, Coordinator Searches

Mike McCarthy seeks the right fits as his coordinators while hoping there's a fit between himself and the new general manager.