PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coach Shuffle 2018

pbmax
01-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Luke Getsy is moving to Mississippi State to be their OC.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-mike-mccarthy-received--year-contract-extension-during-season/article_d3e0da9b-a7b9-5ebe-b6b5-b40b4019cbcb.html

Wilde also has heard reports that Winston Moss is not expected back.

Edgar Bennett is not expected to be the OC next year, but could, possibly, return in a different capacity.

Pugger
01-03-2018, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't mind Bennett going back to the WR room.

Smidgeon
01-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Does anyone else have any feelings besides ambivalence/apathy towards Winston Moss? He may be super organized and invaluable as an administrator (thus the assistant HC title), but nothing else has ever come out about how he's an amazing coach.

And the OC decision from a couple years ago turned out to not be wise. Clements couldn't handle playcalling and is gone, and now reports that Bennett got Peter-principled. M3 can get hires right (see Zook), but he seems to like to get them wrong first. Hopefully the potentially new OC is better suited, and whomever he picks for DC is an improvement. Because the quotes from the players indicate it was less Dom and more of his staff that were the problem (ultimately which means it was DC's fault, but it also explains why the other staff is being let go too).

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Schefter and Demovsky and Mort

Edgar Bennett is out as Packers’ offensive coordinaor and Alex Van Pelt is out as Packers’ QB coach, per @RobDemovsky and @mortreport.

Joemailman
01-03-2018, 05:07 PM

Edgar Bennett is out as Packers’ offensive coordinaor and Alex Van Pelt is out as Packers’ QB coach, per @RobDemovsky and @mortreport.

Bringing back McAdoo?

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Bringing back McAdoo?

Not as OC I hope. Maybe as QB coach.

Would prefer Philbin as OC if going back to the future. Would prefer not to go back to the future though.

Wilde says his source still thinks Bennett could end up with new job on staff. Mort and Demovsky don't make it sound that way though.

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Officially, they are two days behind.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
#Packers announce that DC Dom Capers,ILBs coach Scott McCurley and DT coach Mike Trgovac have been fired. No mention of Bennett or Van Pelt.

gbgary
01-03-2018, 05:38 PM
yup...edger and van pelt are out.

packers-fire-offensive-coordinator-qb-coach (https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1460141-report-packers-fire-offensive-coordinator-qb-coach)

guess it's their fault Hundley sucked so bad. lol

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
Can confirm Alex Van Pelt is out as quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, as @RobDemovsky & @mortreport said. His contract was up and was not renewed.

Bennett was under contract, however. It is not a slam dunk that he is leaving the organization. Still waiting to see what his future will be. AVP is free to pursue and OC job, which is what he admittedly was after.

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Chicago Bears @ChicagoBears
#Bears GM Ryan Pace interviewed Vic Fangio for the head coaching position today.

pbmax
01-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Confirmation that Bennett could stay on staff

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
#Packers announce they’ve parted ways with DC Dom Capers and assistants Scott McCurley and Mike Trgovac. They’re also reassigning OC Edgar Bennett and QBs coach Alex Van Pelt’s contract won’t be renewed, sources tell @RapSheet and me. NFL’s most stable staff getting a big shakeup

Gotarace
01-03-2018, 05:50 PM
It takes a while to get the Axe Sharp in Titletown...But when they do heads really Roll..

gbgary
01-03-2018, 05:54 PM
It takes a while to get the Axe Sharp in Titletown...But when they do heads really Roll..

the loss of Rodgers this season really unmasked the amount of suck this team had.

Smidgeon
01-03-2018, 06:00 PM

Looks like M3 is putting Hundley's performance and that of the offense squarely on the shoulders of his QB coach and offensive coordinator. Interesting.

gbgary
01-03-2018, 06:06 PM
reassigning OC Edgar Bennett

well...that's good. always liked Edger.

red
01-03-2018, 06:15 PM
the loss of Rodgers this season really unmasked the amount of suck this team had.

And it seems like it wasn’t just us negative types that saw it, like many tried to say

QBME
01-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
Can confirm Alex Van Pelt is out as quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, as @RobDemovsky & @mortreport said. His contract was up and was not renewed.

Bennett was under contract, however. It is not a slam dunk that he is leaving the organization. Still waiting to see what his future will be. AVP is free to pursue and OC job, which is what he admittedly was after.

Aaron Rodgers is now the de facto OC. All others will perform in a supporting roll.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Hundley is getting a lot of people fired.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 07:00 PM
And it seems like it wasn’t just us negative types that saw it, like many tried to say

It's all very clearly as the A and B and C's of it and what we really had in TT as the Packers GM.

Simply take some time to see the Black and the White of it and the Poor Head Coach that Mike McCarthy is.

This LINK (Below) Blows the Cover off that TRUTH !

This Packer Fan NAILS Mike McCarthy as the Grade 'C' / 'D' Head Coach that he is. The clear TRUTH that Mike McCarthy clearly ' flies Under the Radar ' and on the Coattails of Aaron Rodgers Superior Talent/Skills.

Posters here want to believe that MM's a Superior Football Coach. That, if he was released too many other NFL Teams would leap at attaining him. I have clear reason and evidence that challenges any such opinion.

I would only agree to that if NFL Teams are neglecting their Homework and Mike McCarthy.

Check this LINK out and be informed about TT, MM, Dom Capers and Packer CEO Mark Murphy; and the Myth of Green Bay Packer strength and these 'Four', now reduced to Two:

Any conclusion and that as the TRUTH is plainly ridiculous.

If you desire to be a better informed Packer Fan moving forward, HERE'S THE TRUTH:

https://coachch.weebly.com/blog/category/all

************************************************** ******************************

What we are now stuck with again (at least for the next 2018 Season) and Mike McCarthy as the Packers Head Coach; is really just this, 'as a fact' I've clearly observed.

No man should ever turn his back on Mike McCarthy.

Watch for this and Mike McCarthy :

Karma has a way to deal with Foul Play !

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Looks like M3 is putting Hundley's performance and that of the offense squarely on the shoulders of his QB coach and offensive coordinator. Interesting.

That's clearly what Mike McCarthy does best.

He knows how to look after his own skin.

Teamcheez1
01-03-2018, 07:36 PM
It's all very clearly as the A and B and C's of it and what we really had in TT as the Packers GM.

Simply take some time to see the Black and the White of it and the Poor Head Coach that Mike McCarthy is.

This LINK (Below) Blows the Cover off that TRUTH !

This Packer Fan NAILS Mike McCarthy as the Grade 'C' / 'D' Head Coach that he is. The clear TRUTH that Mike McCarthy clearly ' flies Under the Radar ' and on the Coattails of Aaron Rodgers Superior Talent/Skills.

Posters here want to believe that MM's a Superior Football Coach. That, if he was released too many other NFL Teams would leap at attaining him. I have clear reason and evidence that challenges any such opinion.

I would only agree to that if NFL Teams are neglecting their Homework and Mike McCarthy.

Check this LINK out and be informed about TT, MM, Dom Capers and Packer CEO Mark Murphy; and the Myth of Green Bay Packer strength and these 'Four', now reduced to Two:

Any conclusion and that as the TRUTH is plainly ridiculous.

If you desire to be a better informed Packer Fan moving forward, HERE'S THE TRUTH:

https://coachch.weebly.com/blog/category/all

************************************************** ******************************

What we are now stuck with again (at least for the next 2018 Season) and Mike McCarthy as the Packers Head Coach; is really just this, 'as a fact' I've clearly observed.

No man should ever turn his back on Mike McCarthy.

Watch for this and Mike McCarthy :

Karma has a way to deal with Foul Play !

Is this conspiracy linked to the Kennedy assassination, or possibly the Illuminati?

pbmax
01-03-2018, 07:40 PM
BadgerNoonan @BadgerNoonan
They should bring in Levens for OC, keep Edgar for muddy games.

woodbuck27
01-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Is this conspiracy linked to the Kennedy assassination, or possibly the Illuminati?

Since when does reading the CLEAR TRUTH become something other than 'the Clear Truth'?

Why is it that this scene from a Movie comes to mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

George Cumby
01-04-2018, 01:08 AM
Hundley is getting a lot of people fired.

Coach killer!

pbmax
01-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Not so fast:

In interview with @620wtmj, #Packers coach MIke McCarthy didn't necessarily rule out AVP's return: "Alex Van Pelt was more a personal choice from a contractual standpoint. He desired to be a free agent after this season. He wants to look at other opportunities."

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
#Packers coach Mike McCarthy on his usual @620wtmj appearance indicates that demoted offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett is deciding whether to return in another role. McCarthy says "Edgar's situation is still fluid."

pbmax
01-04-2018, 10:01 AM
RapSheet
One coach who is no longer under contract and will be a free agent: #Ravens Senior Offensive Assistant Greg Roman. Possible OC choice.

Smidgeon
01-04-2018, 10:33 AM
So Alex Van Pelt took the Ben McAdoo route.

gbgary
01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
MM just finished talking for what seemed like 30-45 minutes without saying much of anything...new.

pbmax
01-04-2018, 02:33 PM
McCarthy was interested in #Packers defensive quality control assistant Tim McGarigle returning, but McGarigle has accepted a job with Pat Fitzgerald at #Northwestern.

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 06:56 PM
McCarthy was interested in #Packers defensive quality control assistant Tim McGarigle returning, but McGarigle has accepted a job with Pat Fitzgerald at #Northwestern.

Per TMJ GB had denied some requests for AVP to interview with other teams....one reportedly a OC. Sounds like he wants to check his options

pbmax
01-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Per TMJ GB had denied some requests for AVP to interview with other teams....one reportedly a OC. Sounds like he wants to check his options

Yep, he refused the normal reup for his two year contract last year. Makes him a FA this year.

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Yep, he refused the normal reup for his two year contract last year. Makes him a FA this year.

Did you hear GB did this with it's peronnell guys too ?

A Packer fanatic friend told me today GB refused to let Eliott Wolf and his personnel bud go to several interviews prior to last year.

I had never heard that

KYPack
01-04-2018, 09:33 PM

A Packer fanatic friend told me today GB refused to let Eliott Wolf and his personnel bud go to several interviews prior to last year.

I had never heard that

Yeah, Wolf was rumored to be in some team's interview cycle a season or two ago. There was some speculation but Wolf released a statement saying he was happy in GB.

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Yeah, Wolf was rumored to be in some team's interview cycle a season or two ago. There was some speculation but Wolf released a statement saying he was happy in GB.

Let's say TT refused to let them interviews....and then we hire Cappie Russ

Think those guys are excited to stay ?

DAMMIT we get 3-7 more great years out of AROD; isn't hiring a personnel guy a no brainer ?

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 10:03 PM
MM just finished talking for what seemed like 30-45 minutes without saying much of anything...new.

Right now this HC has cast a whole lot of doubt on anyone being foolish enough to ever TRUST him.

https://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Cx9K7AwUkAAzsqD-750x400.jpg

I would NEVER trust this Head Coach.

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Right now this HC has cast a whole lot of doubt on anyone being foolish enough to ever TRUST him.

https://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Cx9K7AwUkAAzsqD-750x400.jpg

I would NEVER trust this Head Coach.

I think over 50% of posters think MM is a fine coach

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 10:47 PM
I think over 50% of posters think MM is a fine coach

Clearly I don't agree. I don't like him as a person.

Pugger
01-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Clearly I don't agree. I don't like him as a person.

What is it about him personally that you don't care for? I find it incredible someone would dislike a person they never really met...

Smidgeon
01-05-2018, 12:39 AM
What is it about him personally that you don't care for? I find it incredible someone would dislike a person they never really met...

I don't know. This forum presents a few opportunities to do just that. :D

pbmax
01-05-2018, 08:15 AM

I had never heard that

They have denied interview requests for them before, but both Eliot and Gutekunst interviewed for a combo of Detroit, San Fran and Cleveland last year. Gutekunst was among the finalists for San Fran when he withdrew his name from consideration.

It also happened to Reggie, John and John. Ted doesn't like change as much as Ron did.

run pMc
01-05-2018, 10:56 AM
I believe they gave E.Wolf a new title or promotion after declining permission.
Is it surprising or unusual for a superior to fire his assistants if things aren't going well? Eventually that person's superior will fire them if things don't change... I don't see this as M3 saving his skin so much as a logical move. Capers D wasn't working, Getsy had a job offer, AVP wanted to shop around. I don't see the issue here.

I neither like nor dislike the man; I don't know him. I do think he has his flaws. Doing nothing this offseason would have been foolish.

mraynrand
01-05-2018, 11:32 AM
I don't know. This forum presents a few opportunities to do just that. :D

QFT

hahahaha

pbmax
01-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Chances of #Packers assistant coach Edgar Bennett moving on look pretty strong, according to a source. Plenty of opportunity out there with all the coaching changes.

pbmax
01-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet
That was fast. The #Lions are blocking defensive coordinator Teryl Austin from interviewing with the #Packers. Perhaps when they hire a HC…

#Bears DC Vic Fangio isn't a free agent until next Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. Teams must ask for permission from #Bears to interview for a lateral position until then. #Packers likely waiting until then since Fangio is #Bears head-coaching candidate.

Joemailman
01-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Report Darren Perry front-runner for Packers DC job. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/05/report-darren-perry-is-front-runner-for-packers-defensive-coordinator/

red
01-05-2018, 04:16 PM
the more i think about it, the more i have a problem with keeping fat mike

not letting mike goes means he's here for at least 2 more year, even if he continues to hold the team back

because.....

hes getting to hire a new d-cord. the new guy is gonna come in and hopefully fix the defense. if fat mike doesn't pick it up and where to get fired by the new GM after next season, then that would more then likely mean having to get another new d-cord

so at this point the new GM has his hands tied as soon as mike picks his new guy, unless he wants the defense to be even more of a mess then it already is

i wonder if this whole thing wasn't mikes idea knowing it would buy him a couple more years, when the pitchforks were out for him

red
01-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Report Darren Perry front-runner for Packers DC job. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/05/report-darren-perry-is-front-runner-for-packers-defensive-coordinator/

NO NO NO

how is this a step forward?

he safety play might be the biggest problem with the D. there is no communication back there, and no brains

Fritz
01-05-2018, 04:46 PM
That's clearly what Mike McCarthy does best.

He knows how to look after his own skin.

My God.

I agree with Woodbuck.

Armageddon is nigh.

KYPack
01-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Fritz, I've considered joining the piss and moan squad mesself.

Things are beyond shaky at 1265.

I've got my own little DC candidate.

Joe Whitt Jr. I like the way he runs the CB's. He can coach 'em up. Can he run a D? I think so, but who knows?

Carolina_Packer
01-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Fritz, I've considered joining the piss and moan squad mesself.

Things are beyond shaky at 1265.

I've got my own little DC candidate.

Joe Whitt Jr. I like the way he runs the CB's. He can coach 'em up. Can he run a D? I think so, but who knows?

Charles Woodson agrees with you.

Joemailman
01-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Alex Marvez

@alexmarvez
The @Packers have a new WRs coach. Source tells @SportingNews that Jim Hostler is leaving the @Colts for same position in GB

woodbuck27
01-05-2018, 10:52 PM
the more i think about it, the more i have a problem with keeping fat mike

not letting mike goes means he's here for at least 2 more year, even if he continues to hold the team back

because.....

hes getting to hire a new d-cord. the new guy is gonna come in and hopefully fix the defense. if fat mike doesn't pick it up and where to get fired by the new GM after next season, then that would more then likely mean having to get another new d-cord

so at this point the new GM has his hands tied as soon as mike picks his new guy, unless he wants the defense to be even more of a mess then it already is

i wonder if this whole thing wasn't mikes idea knowing it would buy him a couple more years, when the pitchforks were out for him

Mike McCarthy has only one Agenda:

Mike McCarthy Looking after Mike McCarthy.

Clearly Mike McCarthy has completely LOST it and MUST be dismissed at all cost that must happen ASAP...like tomorrow.

Pugger
01-05-2018, 10:55 PM

Clearly Mike McCarthy has completely LOST it and MUST be dismissed at all cost that must happen ASAP...like tomorrow.

Be careful what you wish for...

woodbuck27
01-05-2018, 10:56 PM
My God.

I agree with Woodbuck.

Armageddon is nigh.

Any Packer fan would have to have his head 'lost in space'; not to see the HUGE error here now is Mike McCarthy.

I have absolute confidence that Mike McCarthy is as good as gone ! :pack:

pbmax
01-06-2018, 06:49 AM
My God.

I agree with Woodbuck.

ArmaTeddon is nigh.

Fixed it for you.

George Cumby
01-06-2018, 08:10 AM

I fear you are destined for disappointment.

ThunderDan
01-06-2018, 08:29 AM
So we all agree that 2017 was a disappointing season.

The D, while hurt as usual, underperformed in stretches and had numerous communication issues.
The O, while losing its MVP QB, struggled with Hundley at the helm.

The HC, who sure the fuck ain’t going to fire himself, needs to fix the problems he sees in the organization before the next season?

What do you do?

I would fire the DC and any other D coaches that are leading to the communication errors. This has to be fixed right away. As a coach you can bitch about talent but the reality is you get the players the GM gives you. If the players don’t have the experience to run the scheme you want you dumby the scheme down to where your team can play it. If all you have left is Donnetello Brown to play slot CB let him play and keep your S at safety running the back end and don’t make him play slot corner.

On the O side I am not sure what I would do but Edgar didn’t really seem to be pushing the O forward. The QB backup situation was a mess. I am not sure that is on coaching or talent but I was high on Hundley to start. I thought after 3 or 4 games he would be serviceable and after the Pitt game thought he was turning the corner. We went with more read option and run at the end when Hundley’s limitations were evident. Maybe Edgar did design the read option part or maybe he didn’t. Maybe Edgar’s insistent that the Packers run the same O is what made MM realize he was expendable.

woodbuck27
01-06-2018, 09:31 AM

Dislike Mike McCarthy? I simply don't want him to be the Packers Head Coach anymore

In posting here I make observations and try to use accurate words to inform the membership of why I have certain views and Mike McCarthy as the Packer Head Coach.

I've been given an excellent education and life, enabling me to be qualified to have a well informed opinion on things Packers and NFL in general.

I've been mentored by people who would size another up very well; after some attention and care to simple observation. These people taught me what to observe in anyone, in terms of their ethical and morale values. Their Integrity as people who are decent or fair with others and in specific terms to their Trustworthiness. To determine who is truly dedicated Vs the part timers. To see the Team Players Vs the comers and goers. To see winners Vs losers. To see the intelligence, smartness and wisdom in people. To know the difference between a decent person and a troublemaker. To discern between a person to trust, as an evaluator of others Vs the prejudiced and Ego Hyped racist.

I've dealt with people as a very well Educated and Trained Leader, Supervisor, Foreman, Shop Steward, Teacher, Facilitator, Past Sports Team Captain, Multi Sports Champion and MVP. I have qualifications, high intelligence much experience and LIFE and a good deal of acquired wisdom.

I observe as much and Mike McCarthy and Green Bay Packers HC as I can.

I'm a dedicated Packer fan and a lot more:

A) I've been a Packer Fan for nearly 6 Decades

B) I've extended my Fan Interest to another level, than simply seeing how their doing in the Standings and watching the occasional Packer Matchup.

1) I've been a member of Green Bay Packer and NFL Team Forums for 2 Decades. I've demonstrated a certain dedication there with an approx. 40K Posts. ie I've > 28 K Posts here on Packerrats. I've contributions overall more so to this Forum (Packerrats) as a dedicated Member who has started a by far larger number of Threads than I'd 95% of all Members in the Lifetime of Packerrats.

2) I've expanded my Fan Interests from, 'just a Packer fan', to studying as much as I can and all 32 NFL Teams as an Amature NFL Analyst. Success in PRO PICKEMS over a Dozen Seasons is IMO imperative and having a real grasp on the NFL overall. I've personally reached an excellent level of achievement setting and achieving my goals. Proof of that (without my need to do so here) cannot be challenged.

3) Rarely do I go a day without the NFL Network TV Programing being on for a minimum of 4 Hours.

4) As A Packer fan I am 'all in' and the most realistic way to see the Packers win another Super Bowl within the window of Aaron Rodgers remaining Prime Years. As things are headed right now and Packers Coaching and Executive ie GM needs; that window might have slammed shut already.

Aaron Rodgers can leave Green Bay and write his own Contract with an NFL Team dedicated to just winning Super Bowls. That certainly wasn't the case in the last 3-4 Seasons and the TT and MM and Dom Capers Era.

I do lay the most blame for that on Ted Thompson's style of not being a 'All In GM' and not being successful and drafting on the Packer 'D'. Ted Thompson totally frustrated me as a Packer fan. I'm beyond overjoyed that he has been removed as the GM.

Mike McCarthy should have removed Dom Capers many Seasons ago. MM has demonstrated clear stubbornness and making Coaching Staff decisions that even a marginal Packer fn knew was necessary. Then after this SEason we see him making decisions and Coaching Staff dismissals that are plainly questionable and won't as a result bode well for future Coaching hires in Green Bay.

I do not enjoy watching how MM calls plays in games. I dislike his conservative approach to how to win in difficult Matchups.

Right now we are seeing a huge MESS already developed in Green Bay and I believe that's the case because MM didn't go out the door along with TT and Dom Capers. What's going on isn't intriguing.

From the standpoint of my LOVE for the Green Bay Packers, it's downright SCARY !

Green Bay Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy has as I see it now his head in a vice. He has to get this GM choice really right or the shit will very possibly :shtf: hit the fan :shtf:

The Packers have made a Cardinal Error:

They are putting the cart before the horse. Mark Murphy has to elect his next GM ASAP.

Mike McCarthy is going as he has to do with his ways or 'all hairy snarry', and dismissing members of his Coaching Staff before he hires a DC. MM is is acting certainly for the past three Seasons, like he's less and less the Head Coach the Packers need to work with Aaron Rodgers. The body language between Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy wasn't a good indication of harmony between them last Season. MM's real value as a Packer Head Coach is perfectly obvious without Aaron Rodgers behind Center.

Easily it's now come down to dismissing MM ASAP (if his complaints about leaving Green Bay if Mark Murphy goes with Russ Ball as Packer GM (is the TRUTH) and Russ Ball as Packer GM comes to fruition.

I'll add this:

President and CEO Mark Murphy certainly has a real need NOW, and an expertise for 'Damage Control' and the historical reputation of The Green Bay Packers.

woodbuck27

woodbuck27
01-06-2018, 09:39 AM
I fear you are destined for disappointment.

I'm a dedicated Packer fan.

Whatever happens I'll remain a dedicated Packer fan.

If I was Mark Murphy, my decision after a solid communication session with Aaron Rodgers, would be clearly to dismiss Mike McCarthy, if Aaron Rodgers agreed with my overall assessment of Mike McCarthy.

I'm not in the position or 'the Hot Seat' that Mark Murphy is certainly in today. :idea:

What will Mark Murphy do to preserve any 'real integrity' of the current Green Bay Packers?

mraynrand
01-06-2018, 09:55 AM
3) Rarely do I go a day without the NFL Network TV Programing being on for a minimum of 4 Hours.

Jiminy Christmas

ThunderDan
01-06-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm a dedicated Packer fan.

Whatever happens I'll remain a dedicated Packer fan.

If I was Mark Murphy, my decision after a solid communication session with Aaron Rodgers, would be clearly to dismiss Mike McCarthy, if Aaron Rodgers agreed with my overall assessment of Mike McCarthy.

I'm not in the position or 'the Hot Seat' that Mark Murphy is certainly in today. :idea:

What will Mark Murphy do to preserve any 'real integrity' of the current Green Bay Packers?

And what if ARod says he wants MM to stay? Then what do you do as Mark Murphy?

ThunderDan
01-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Jiminy Christmas

I didn’t even get to that point of that post before I stopped reading it. Tldc.

I applaud you for your perseverance.

George Cumby
01-06-2018, 10:50 AM

I applaud you for your perseverance.

"TLDC" lol

mraynrand
01-06-2018, 11:03 AM
The Packers have made a Cardinal Error:

They are putting the cart before the horse. Mark Murphy has to elect his next GM ASAP.

So did the Vatican.

P.S. You don't elect GMs.

mraynrand
01-06-2018, 11:05 AM

read it. You might enjoy some madness for a while.

mraynrand
01-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Mike McCarthy is going as he has to do with his ways or 'all hairy snarry'

There are Swedish clinics where you can fix that now.

ThunderDan
01-06-2018, 11:07 AM
read it. You might enjoy some madness for a while.

Ok, Billy.

mraynrand
01-06-2018, 11:14 AM
I think Woodbuck would be much happier if he just ordered up those 30 minute Super Bowl winner summary videos produced each year by SI or whomever. Just plug those in and you can see the sun shining out of everyones' asses as they sail the ripple-free waters on their trouble-free journey to the championship. Just forget the 31 other teams that failed miserably because they 'don't care about winning Superbowls' and bathe in the luxurious warmth of GM perfection married to Coaching infallibility that the Packer organization can't manage because all they care about is making money off of 5% grade sledding hills and refrigerator magnets.

pbmax
01-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Alex Marvez

@alexmarvez
The @Packers have a new WRs coach. Source tells @SportingNews that Jim Hostler is leaving the @Colts for same position in GB

I keep reading that as Jeff Hostetler and getting exited for the 'stache to return to the NFL.

pbmax
01-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Jiminy Christmas

That wouldn't leave any time for PackerRats.

pbmax
01-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Better than McAdoo. But I am not too enthusiastic about comebacks.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Packers are expected to interview their own former offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, source said, about rejoining the staff.

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
The Packers are expected to hire Joe Philbin back to their offense staff, a source told ESPN. The former offensive coordinator will have a similar — if not the same — role. He spent the last two seasons as the Colts O-line coach after his head-coaching... https://t.co/JAzQVEHtgr

Tom Silverstein Retweeted Tom Silverstein
Just to clarify, McAdoo has not been contacted about an interview yet. May depend on what Philbin does.

Bretsky
01-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Philbin coming back; best news I've heard if he comes back as the OC and not head coach

woodbuck27
01-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Philbin coming back; best news I've heard if he comes back as the OC and not head coach

That move to bring Joe Philbin back as Packer OC makes sense and maintaining 'the Packer Family' Thing.

Philbin looked out of his League and as a HC in Miami.

He absolutely looked terrible in that role and specifically denying accountability and knowledge of what was going on in his Dolphins Locker Room. I felt that BS was going to be the end of him in Miami.

Joe Philbin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Philbin

Pugger
01-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Agreed. Didn't we go 15-1 when he was in GB before? :glug:

pbmax
01-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Its hard to bag on Philbin for that Giants game, but hoo boy was that a terrible game for the offense.

One thing we can say is that the O line in Indy was a tire fire. But that was largely personnel issues.

KYPack
01-06-2018, 02:06 PM
I'd go for Philbin as OC. he seemed like the last true OC we had. Clements and Edgar seemed like look-outs for a crap game on our sideline.

Joe gave that "calm hand on the tiller" approach.

Let Philbin crank up a gameplan AND send in the plays (although he didn't that last time).

The head coach needs to run the whole team.

Mike is in love with that freakin' trifold laminated play sheet.

Watch the game and coach the players and staff.

Bellichik is the template for this. And Parcells and Lombardi.

Have one finger in all phases.

Take an educated gamble in crunch time now and then.

Build your new staff and mix things up, Tollbooth Mikey.

woodbuck27
01-06-2018, 02:26 PM
And what if ARod says he wants MM to stay? Then what do you do as Mark Murphy?

As I informed you, I'm a solid Texas Holdem' Poker Player. It doesn't take me long to size up my opponent (s) and seize an advantage.

If I was Packer President and CEO Mark Murphy and selecting the next Packer GM:

I'd select the man in my view as the very best candidate for the GM's Position.

As President and CEO of the Green Bay Packers it's not my job to specifically satisfy Aaron Rodgers and /or Packer HC Mike McCarthy. Frankly any such complaints and the TRUTH are out of line.

If Aaron Rodgers bucks my choice and MM quits as Packer HC, after I decide on my choice as Packer GM.

A.) That's Mike McCarthy's business and personal life decision NOT mine.

I'd say " Thanks Mike for your service to the Green Bay Packers and Good Luck to you and your Wife and your future."

B.) Given all that, and Aaron Rodgers didn't come around to my decision of choice and the New Packer GM and wanted to bolt Green Bay:

I'd 'simply recommend', using the Franchise Tag on Aaron Rodgers as that might become necessary.

The ultimate decision RE: Aaron Rodgers and any Future Contract, is the business of my Hire as Packer GM, not mine.

So there you go ThunderDan. Apply that lesson 'Sonny' to what it would be like facing me on a Poker Table and a One On One Showdown. Like 98% of Poker Players around the World YOU WOULD LOSE.

See I'm all this :pack:, and wanting to see Aaron Rodgers win another Super Bowl Ring. I believe I would convince him, that my hire as GM, is the best choice I decided on. Next up ... on with the Program to get that Ring.

It's all so very easy, all so good. :-)

woodbuck27
01-06-2018, 02:30 PM
I'd go for Philbin as OC. he seemed like the last true OC we had. Clements and Edgar seemed like look-outs for a crap game on our sideline.

Joe gave that "calm hand on the tiller" approach.

Let Philbin crank up a gameplan AND send in the plays (although he didn't that last time).

The head coach needs to run the whole team.

Mike is in love with that freakin' trifold laminated play sheet.

Watch the game and coach the players and staff.

Bellichik is the template for this. And Parcells and Lombardi.

Have one finger in all phases.

Take an educated gamble in crunch time now and then.

Build your new staff and mix things up, Tollbooth Mikey.

Yes:

Get rid of the fricken large Crib sheet.

Look like a NFL HC thst might be able to think on the run.

woodbuck27
01-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Alex Marvez

@alexmarvez

Jim Hostler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hostler

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/jzqHvl95ENh.DovK.S3.pA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/df395939587ff8f797fc960cf5165545

gbgary
01-06-2018, 02:58 PM
glad philbin's back.

Zool
01-06-2018, 05:16 PM
So did the Vatican.

P.S. You don't elect GMs.

How didn’t you become GM? I didn’t vote for you.

The lady of the lake. Her arm clad in shimmering saymite held aloft Excalibur. Signifying by diving province that I am to be your GM.

Look, strange women, lying in ponds is no basis for a system of corporate leadership! Executive decision power derives from a mandate from the masses not some farsicle aquatic ceremony.

pbmax
01-06-2018, 06:02 PM
If I claimed to be Emperor because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

red
01-06-2018, 06:23 PM
If I claimed to be Emperor because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

WILL YOU SHUT UP!!!!!!

denverYooper
01-06-2018, 07:11 PM
WILL YOU SHUT UP!!!!!!

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Zool
01-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Help help I’m being traded!

Rastak
01-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Help help I’m being traded!

Bloody peasant.

red
01-07-2018, 09:36 AM
what a giveaway

pbmax
01-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Read somewhere that Philbin was one of Rodgers favorite coaches and that people who believe Rodgers and M3 are feuding are happy he is back.

Wasn't Clements (his QB coach for most of his early tenure) his first buddy on the staff?

Smidgeon
01-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Read somewhere that Philbin was one of Rodgers favorite coaches and that people who believe Rodgers and M3 are feuding are happy he is back.

Wasn't Clements (his QB coach for most of his early tenure) his first buddy on the staff?

My read on Philbin was that he was excellent at planning an offense (O line background, perhaps). If so, it stands to reason that Rodgers likes him. And the 2011 production. Let's see if there's anything more than rumor and my speculation though.

Bretsky
01-08-2018, 12:08 AM

Ive been posting this as I heard it on ESPN 1070 when the Packer beat writer was interviewed

pbmax
01-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Ive been posting this as I heard it on ESPN 1070 when the Packer beat writer was interviewed

Yeah they talk to Dougherty and Bill Huber, so one of those two guys.

Gotta say, I saw a bit of Philbin on Hard Knocks and he seems like a personality that would be an ideal go between for hard heads.

Maybe it will help.

pbmax
01-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Sources: #Bears are negotiating a deal with #Chiefs OC Matt Nagy to be their new head coach. It is expected to happen. @adamjahns on it 1st

If they get it done today, they may want to keep Fangio on D side of ball. He is a FA as of tomorrow.

pbmax
01-08-2018, 11:18 AM
We have officially named Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy as our new head coach.

I say this makes Fangio less likely to move to Packers. McCarthy has 2 years and a front office change. The new Bears coach has five years and comparative stability.

Teamcheez1
01-08-2018, 11:27 AM
We have officially named Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy as our new head coach.

I say this makes Fangio less likely to move to Packers. McCarthy has 2 years and a front office change. The new Bears coach has five years and comparative stability.

The Bears organization and stability don't belong in the same sentence.

mraynrand
01-08-2018, 11:31 AM
We have officially named Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy as our new head coach. We hope we get first-half Nagy, not second-half Nagy

FIFY

pbmax
01-08-2018, 12:39 PM
FIFY

And early career Charles Nagy, not later career Charles Nagy.

pbmax
01-08-2018, 12:40 PM
The Bears organization and stability don't belong in the same sentence.

Its been a weird year.

pbmax
01-08-2018, 01:40 PM

#Packers losing promising Asst DL coach Jerry Montgomery to Texas A & M. McCarthy fired DL coach Mike Trgovac.

Fritz
01-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Maybe Bob Sanders is available.

pbmax
01-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Dave Birkett @davebirkett
Dave Birkett Retweeted Josina Anderson
Teryl Austin has a new job. Lions don't play the Bengals for another 4 years.

Tom Silverstein Retweeted Dave Birkett
#Packers wanted to interview him but #Lions blocked them. Not sure how #Bengals got permission since if you block one you must block all.

Smidgeon
01-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Mike Pettine?

red
01-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Are we going to hire a new defensive coach, or is fat mike going to seize that position too?

denverYooper
01-08-2018, 07:26 PM

Maybe. The idea of potentially working 5 years on the other side of the ball from Rodgers might be worth more to a DC. Especially if Fangio is looking at switching HCs anyway.

Joemailman
01-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Only if he wins. Fox lasted 3 years. Trestman 2.

Joemailman
01-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Mike Pettine?

Packers are interviewing him tomorrow. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/08/packers-will-interview-mike-pettine-for-dc-opening-tuesday/

pbmax
01-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Packers also talking to Fangio, maybe? : http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/08/packers-finally-free-talk-vic-fangio-defensive-coordinator-job/1014063001/

Whitt interviewed Sunday. Perry and Moss today.

Piece says the Packers will talk to him via one source, another says likely but nothing setup yet. Given the contract expiring tonight, it might be bad form to have direct contact prior to midnight. Here's hoping they know his agent.

Gus Bradley and Steve Spagnuole also still available.

Joemailman
01-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Packers also talking to Fangio, maybe? : http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/08/packers-finally-free-talk-vic-fangio-defensive-coordinator-job/1014063001/

Piece says the Packers will talk to him via one source, another says likely but nothing setup yet. Given the contract expiring tonight, it might be bad form to have direct contact prior to midnight. Here's hoping they know his agent.

Hasn't Spagnuolo been on a downward trend in recent years?

Bretsky
01-08-2018, 10:24 PM

GUS BRADLEY would be nice hire

pbmax
01-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Hasn't Spagnuolo been on a downward trend in recent years?

He's been part of some down defenses, but the Giants defense was very good this year.

Problem with his Giants experience is that he used mostly four to rush the passer and they normally get there.

mraynrand
01-09-2018, 08:08 AM
He's been part of some down defenses, but the Giants defense was very good this year.

Problem with his Giants experience is that he used mostly four to rush the passer and they normally get there.

Some guys can look like geniuses when they have great players. Even Barry Switzer looked marginally competent with an all star cast.

pbmax
01-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Some guys can look like geniuses when they have great players. Even Barry Switzer looked marginally competent with an all star cast.

Exactly.

pbmax
01-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
While the #Bears would like to keep DC Vic Fangio — and new coach Matt Nagy has made moves to do so — the #Packers loom and hope to set an interview. He is considered Green Bay's top choice. NFC North battle.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 09:45 AM
#Packers have spoken with #Giants DL coach Patrick Graham about a spot on Mike Pettine’s staff. He’s may be a candidate for LBs. He’s very highly regarded. Began in the #Patriots system.

Update: He is interviewing this morning.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Can confirm @lanceallan 's report that former #Giants asst. Frank Cignetti has been hired by #Packers coach Mike McCarthy as QBs coach.

That name makes it sound like he backed up Gifford at quarterback for the Giants in the 50s and played a mean deep safety.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 10:29 AM
I am vastly more excited about a Giants D coach than a Giants O coach. This seems to be fallout from McAdoo leaving.

KYPack
01-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Hope there's no move to bring McAdoo back. I liked that guy a lot less when I figured out who he was.

Pugger
01-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Evidently we hired Frank Gignetti as our new QB coach.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Evidently we hired Frank Gignetti as our new QB coach.

He not only has the stink of McAdoo's Giants offense, but also Jeff Fisher's Rams offense. Woof.

He was quarterbacks coach under Mike Nolan in San Francisco in 2007 and returned to the NFL for good in 2012, taking over as quarterbacks coach under Jeff Fisher. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in ’15, but then fired after 12 games with the Rams' offense ranked 31st.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/10/packers-bringing-frank-cignetti-quarterbacks-coach/1020201001/

pbmax
01-10-2018, 03:45 PM
One logical hire for Mike Pettine would be his former DC in Cleveland, Jim O’Neil, who was fired as 49ers DC after the 2016 season. He could teach the staff Pettine’s system.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 09:45 PM
#Packers assistant coach Joe Whitt Jr. will remain with the team in an elevated role of defensive passing game coordinator. It's a promotion for him and a logical move after not getting the D-coordinator job. Should help his career a lot.

woodbuck27
01-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
" Some guys can look like geniuses when they have great players. Even Barry Switzer looked marginally competent with an all star cast."

Exactly.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fan/image?url=https://lombardiave.com/wp-content/uploads/getty-images/2017/08/829603790-philadelphia-eagles-v-green-bay-packers.jpg-850x560.jpg&c=sc&w=590&h=389

woodbuck27
01-10-2018, 11:40 PM
He not only has the stink of McAdoo's Giants offense, but also Jeff Fisher's Rams offense. Woof.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/10/packers-bringing-frank-cignetti-quarterbacks-coach/1020201001/

Comment woodbuck27:

Does this hire make any sense? Is this a Hire with a proven Track Record of Success?

woodbuck27
01-10-2018, 11:55 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/10/packers-retain-promote-assistant-coach-joe-whitt-jr/1021078001/

Packers retain, promote assistant coach Joe Whitt Jr.

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 7:44 p.m. CT Jan. 10, 2018

Comment woodbuck27:

There's a lot of info. in this Post in regards to the direction new DC Mike Pettine might go and rounding out his Defensive Coaching staff.

Fritz
01-11-2018, 12:20 PM
"Whitt will be coaching a different system that requires the cornerbacks to play press coverage a good portion of the time." - JSO article on Joe Whitt's promotion

This may be the best news of the entire offseason, since no Packer defensive back or linebacker on the roster seems to know how to play zone defense anyway.

Cheesehead Craig
01-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Comment woodbuck27:

Does this hire make any sense? Is this a Hire with a proven Track Record of Success?
Does a QB Coach really matter with Rodgers? I can see getting someone of note when you have a young QB who needs the help, but I don't think it's really all that important in GB. I'm not going to get too worked up about it.

MadScientist
01-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Does a QB Coach really matter with Rodgers? I can see getting someone of note when you have a young QB who needs the help, but I don't think it's really all that important in GB. I'm not going to get too worked up about it.

There's always things he can work on, so having a QB coach can help.

pbmax
01-11-2018, 03:44 PM
I am afraid to go look up the QB coach's former offenses performance. I know two of them and I don't want to know the rest.

McCarthy hires too many former buddies. At least Pettine gets around that.

pbmax
01-11-2018, 09:29 PM
#Packers are hiring former #Giants DL coach Patrick Graham. He may coach LBs. That’s what he coached with the #Patriots. Highly regarded young coach who got high recommendation from Ben McAdoo to Mike McCarthy.

If he coaches LBs, who is catching D line? They are both gone.

pbmax
01-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Chicago Tribune: https://t.co/vj9indOshB

Brad Biggs‏ @BradBiggs
Coordinator watch: #Bears waiting on Vic Fangio.

This is really interesting. Would indicate the #Packers still had a chance at Fangio when they hired Pettine. He has not returned to the #Bears as some reported.

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 10:00 PM

Did you consider the hire might have something to do with MM's long term relationship with this hire instead of solid credentials and/or up and coming promise? :idea:

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 10:01 PM
I am afraid to go look up the QB coach's former offenses performance. I know two of them and I don't want to know the rest.

McCarthy hires too many former buddies. At least Pettine gets around that.

Yes.

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 10:06 PM
#Packers are hiring former #Giants DL coach Patrick Graham. He may coach LBs. That’s what he coached with the #Patriots. Highly regarded young coach who got high recommendation from Ben McAdoo to Mike McCarthy.

If he coaches LBs, who is catching D line? They are both gone.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches.html

This Guy survived to today:

Winston Moss - Associate Head Coach/Linebackers

Mike McCarthy Fired this Guy ( Assistant Linebackers Coach Scott McCurley ) who looked after Coaching the ILBer's, or as I understood that to be true..

It's difficult to say, the way their doing things now; if they have a specific plan for a ILBers Coach.

Cheesehead Craig
01-11-2018, 10:11 PM

Brad Biggs‏ @BradBiggs

This is really interesting. Would indicate the #Packers still had a chance at Fangio when they hired Pettine. He has not returned to the #Bears as some reported.

Still didn't want Fangio. I just don't get the love.

pbmax
01-11-2018, 10:36 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/report-raiders-to-hire-jim-oneil-as-senior-defensive-assistant/

Jim O'Neil, former DC for Pettine in Cleveland when MP was head coach, is going to the Raiders.

Pugger
01-12-2018, 12:53 AM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/11/packers-add-giants-assistant-coach-patrick-graham-to-defensive-staff/

pbmax
01-12-2018, 10:20 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/report-raiders-to-hire-jim-oneil-as-senior-defensive-assistant/

Jim O'Neil, former DC for Pettine in Cleveland when MP was head coach, is going to the Raiders.

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
[O'Neil] had reportedly interviewed with #Packers to coach LBs under Pettine. Was Pettine’s DC with Browns.

Joemailman
01-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Brad Biggs‏ @BradBiggs

There was some speculation that Fangio, being a Capers disciple, might not want to replace a fired Capers. Perhaps he just turned down a chance to interview for the Packers job.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-12-2018, 11:50 AM
"Whitt will be coaching a different system that requires the cornerbacks to play press coverage a good portion of the time." - JSO article on Joe Whitt's promotion

This may be the best news of the entire offseason, since no Packer defensive back or linebacker on the roster seems to know how to play zone defense anyway.

Have the Packers hired Whitt's replacement yet?

If not, and since Al Harris - dude sure knows the art of press coverage - is under contract with the Chiefs, McCarthy should hire moi to coach the corners. I was a shutdown corner in HS, and I shut down Darren Charles in a game. Plus, I play alotta Madden, so I know defense.

pbmax
01-12-2018, 12:28 PM
There was some speculation that Fangio, being a Capers disciple, might not want to replace a fired Capers. Perhaps he just turned down a chance to interview for the Packers job.

Could very well be.

Joemailman
01-12-2018, 03:24 PM
http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/12/report-packers-not-expected-to-retain-coach-winston-moss/

According to Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal, the Packers are not expected to retain associate head coach and linebackers coach Winston Moss after McCarthy passed him over for the open defensive coordinator job.

Teamcheez1
01-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Fangio is staying with the Bears as DC. You had to figure the Packers knew this was likely and went with Pettine rather than stringing this out.

pbmax
01-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
ESPN's @AdamSchefter reports that ex-#Packers QBs coach Alex Van Pelt lands in Cincinnati, where he'll work with @andydalton14. Guessing @AaronRodgers12 would give a strong recommendation.

woodbuck27
01-13-2018, 06:54 AM
Here's what we have as of Sunday 13 Jan. 2018@6:11 AM CST:

We have Mike Pettine and (Joe Philbin - Reportedly) as DC and OC:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905042/article/packers-hire-joe-philbin-mike-pettine-as-coordinators

Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy hired a New QB's Coach Frank Cignetti Jr, previously of the New York Giants.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/10/packers-hire-new-qbs-coach-with-deep-ties-to-mike-mccarthy/

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches.html

The rest and noticeably missing is a new a new DL Coach after the release of Mike Trgovac:

Also missing (and *** based on the Defensive Coaching Structure for the 2017 Season ***) are the following:

*** ... Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-finalize-coaching-staff/50eae0cf-c350-41bf-8c4a-1b54628c295a#ixzz544FcdyMn

** Defensive Coordinator

** Defensive Quality Control

** Assistant Linebackers

** Defensive Front Assistant

call_me_ishmael
01-14-2018, 08:23 PM
I think the corners could actually be a pleasant surprise next year if they're forced to press every play. I am so sick of playing 5 yards off and playing soft.

Randall is very physical and a former safety. For whatever reason, I think Rollins will be dramatically improved if he plays outside and bumps. King is hugely long and looks like he'd naturally be very phyiscal. House is a solid bump-and-run player.

Maybe it's just off-season optimism but add another high pick to this group and I think they're okay. I would not object at all to making a big splash and signing the top CB on the FA market. It'll be expensive but any player that we find that is a stud at the position will receive market rate after a few years anyway.

pbmax
01-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Rollins had some trouble outside previously due to speed. Maybe he can learn to bump and run.

Joemailman
01-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Darren Perry to be interviewed by Texans. Not for DC.

pbmax
01-16-2018, 08:00 AM
If Perry leaves and Whitt gets the entire defensive backfield, we will get a clean test of why D communications back there so often looked troubled.

Joemailman
01-16-2018, 08:08 AM
If Perry leaves and Whitt gets the entire defensive backfield, we will get a clean test of why D communications back there so often looked troubled.

Im guessing Pettine has someone in mind for the job. That's good.

Pugger
01-17-2018, 01:51 AM
Have all of the assistant openings been filled?

pbmax
01-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Have all of the assistant openings been filled?

Nope. Safeties, asst LB (who had ILBs last year), 2 DL coaches.

Pugger
01-17-2018, 09:28 AM

Oh, okay. I suppose McCoach won't make an formal announcements until all these positions are filled?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-17-2018, 10:25 AM

There are some rumors out there saying that Whitt won't coach the corners anymore due to his promotion to "passing game coordinator."

I've shipped my resume out to McCarthy. Fingers crossed. Trust me, I know how to teach the press coverage, as I've spent hours watching films of Al Harris on youtube. Hire me and King will morph into a shutdown corner in no time.

mraynrand
01-17-2018, 10:29 AM
There are some rumors out there saying that Whitt won't coach the corners anymore due to his promotion to "passing game coordinator."

I've shipped my resume out to McCarthy. Fingers crossed. Trust me, I know how to teach the press coverage, as I've spent hours watching films of Al Harris on youtube. Hire me and King will morph into a shutdown corner in no time.

70% of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris. Or so I've read.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-17-2018, 10:34 AM
70% of the world is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris. Or so I've read.

And a great, great acquisition by General Bill Tecumseh Sherman's great, great nephew, Mike. :)

mraynrand
01-17-2018, 10:57 AM
And a great, great acquisition by General Bill Tecumseh Sherman's great, great nephew, Mike. :)

Shermy had a few GM gems - mostly with Hatley. Then 2004 happened.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Shermy had a few GM gems - mostly with Hatley. Then 2004 happened.

What some folks refuse to believe is that in addition to Hatley, brasses like Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie, the Young Wolf and probably even the German Shepard (Gutey) all consulted Sherman. Still, it was Sherman's show and his show was a carbon copy of Wolf's.

(PS: McKenzie, Scheider, Dorsey are all GM in the NFL today. You don't see them subscribing to that Draft and Develop bull manure.)

Belichickism would be called Wolfism today if Wolf would've just drafted Randy Fucking Moss instead of that bum Vonnie Holiday. Favre and Moss in their primes together in the Green and Gold, man, the Packers would've won a tons of Super Bowls.

mraynrand
01-17-2018, 11:38 AM
What some folks refuse to believe is that in addition to Hatley, brasses like Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie, the Young Wolf and probably even the German Shepard (Gutey) all consulted Sherman. Still, it was Sherman's show and his show was a carbon copy of Wolf's.

not exactly. Sherman fell in love with players and maneuvered to get them, often overspending. Wolf recognized that draft picks fail at predictable rates, and was more careful with them. Sherman had more misses than hits, and moving up to get guys cost him numbers. Still, even in his two worst draft years he found some good players (Wells and Williams at the bottom of 2004, Nick Barnett and Hillenmeyer in 2003). Just far too few to maintain a roster. Wolf's second last season (2000) was probably the second best of his life - it carried the Packer through 2004. Shermy need a year like that in 2003 or 2004 to remain competitive.

Belichickism would be called Wolfism today if Wolf would've just drafted Randy Fucking Moss instead of that bum Vonnie Holiday. Favre and Moss in their primes together in the Green and Gold, man, the Packers would've won a tons of Super Bowls.

Randy Moss was 1998's Aaron Rodgers.

Zool
01-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Joe Johnson

mraynrand
01-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Joe Johnson

Didn't he get injured disembarking the plane into Green Bay?

Joemailman
01-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Alex Marvez

@alexmarvez
Source tells @sportingnews that @Colts defensive line coach Gary Emanuel has interviewed for same position with @packers

7:14 AM - Jan 17, 2018

pbmax
01-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Holy carp the Colts defense was awful. Worse than the Packers.

I am not liking this new Packer coaching staff. Looks a lot more like McCarthy's first rather than his second.

pbmax
01-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Joe Johnson

Joe Johnson has nothing on BJ Sanders.

Sherm the Great kept two punters and let Hillenmeyer go to the Bears.

Joemailman
01-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Holy carp the Colts defense was awful. Worse than the Packers.

I am not liking this new Packer coaching staff. Looks a lot more like McCarthy's first rather than his second.

Don't know much about Emanuel, but not sure how much can be blamed on the DL coach. That was a BAD team overall. They were 26th against the run, but only because they were 3rd in rushing attempts against. Their YPC allowed was in the top 10. Maybe they were on the field too much because the offense was so bad? I know they were 31st in stopping 3rd down conversions. Packers were almost as bad. How much of that would you blame on the DL coach? Just saying you can have a decent coach on a bad team.

3irty1
01-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Is this the same Colts DL coach who got 11 sacks out of Erik Walden?

pbmax
01-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Is this the same Colts DL coach who got 11 sacks out of Erik Walden?

Wouldn’t that be a LB coach?

pbmax
01-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Don't know much about Emanuel, but not sure how much can be blamed on the DL coach. That was a BAD team overall. They were 26th against the run, but only because they were 3rd in rushing attempts against. Their YPC allowed was in the top 10. Maybe they were on the field too much because the offense was so bad? I know they were 31st in stopping 3rd down conversions. Packers were almost as bad. How much of that would you blame on the DL coach? Just saying you can have a decent coach on a bad team.
True. But McCarthy seems to be collecting them or his former friends.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-18-2018, 11:04 AM
Joe Johnson has nothing on BJ Sanders.

Sherm the Great kept two punters and let Hillenmeyer go to the Bears.

Yes, theoretically, trading up in the 3rd round to draft a punter seems like an unwise strategy. But Sanders was the 53rd man on the roster his rookie year, so in the grand scheme of things, that move was a no biggie. I mean, thanks to the NFL's idiotic deactivation rule of allowing only 46 players to suit up on any given Sunday, the 53rd player, whether it be Sanders or Joe Dirt, likely won't play anyway.

The Sanders fuck up is actually not as bad as the one that saw Thompson cut bona fide NFL punter Jon Ryan for Derek Frost.

Joemailman
01-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Trgovac going to The Raiders.

pbmax
01-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Yes, theoretically, trading up in the 3rd round to draft a punter seems like an unwise strategy. But Sanders was the 53rd man on the roster his rookie year, so in the grand scheme of things, that move was a no biggie. I mean, thanks to the NFL's idiotic deactivation rule of allowing only 46 players to suit up on any given Sunday, the 53rd player, whether it be Sanders or Joe Dirt, likely won't play anyway.

The Sanders fuck up is actually not as bad as the one that saw Thompson cut bona fide NFL punter Jon Ryan for Derek Frost.
Since we don’t know who the 53 player would have been, hard to put a ceiling on how bad that was. But it was completely an effort to save face. Not keep a talent.

Ryan for Frost on the other hand is when scheme got in the way of talent. A rarity on the Packers in terms of final roster.

Zool
01-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Since we don’t know who the 53 player would have been, hard to put a ceiling on how bad that was. But it was completely an effort to save face. Not keep a talent.

Ryan for Frost on the other hand is when scheme got in the way of talent. A rarity on the Packers in terms of final roster.

87 Green Bay Packers B.J. Sander P Ohio State
88 Minnesota Vikings Darrion Scott DE Ohio State
89 Philadelphia Eagles Matt Ware DB UCLA
90 Atlanta Falcons Matt Schaub QB Virginia
91 St. Louis Rams Anthony Hargrove DE Georgia Tech
92 Tennessee Titans Rich Gardner CB Penn State
93 Kansas City Chiefs Keyaron Fox LB Georgia Tech
94 Carolina Panthers Travelle Wharton G South Carolina
95 New England Patriots Guss Scott SAF Florida
96 Cincinnati Bengals Landon Johnson MLB Purdue

Any of those picks was better than HJ Sander.

How about this

126 Kansas City Chiefs Jared Allen DE Idaho State

Joemailman
01-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Scott McCurley is rejoining the Packers defensive coaching staff, sources told ESPN. He coached inside linebackers under Dom Capers but was initially let go with Capers. He may have a different role under new defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. Also, special teams assistant Jason Simmons will shift to a defensive position. Maurice Drayton comes from the Colts to take Simmons' old role.

pbmax
01-19-2018, 05:18 PM
There are Ravens connections with former Pagano's staff in Indy so that might explain some of this. But hoo boy their D was hideous for years under him.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/19/packers-coaching-staff-shaping-up-latest-moves/1048924001/

This article states that Whitt will NOT be coaching CBs and that CB coach could be the position Simmons is elevated too.

Joemailman
01-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Paul Kuharsky

@PaulKuharskyNFL
5h5 hours ago

Hearing Mike Vrabel is looking to hire Darren Perry. Maybe for DC. Has coached DBs for #Packers since 2009. #Titans

Pugger
01-22-2018, 06:19 PM
TomSilverstein tweeted:

#Packers are hiring Bowling Green safeties coach Ryan Downard, the university announced Monday. Downard was a defensive assistant for Mike Pettine in Cleveland before going to BGSU. Not sure if this means Darren Perry isn't returning.

Joemailman
01-22-2018, 06:50 PM
TomSilverstein tweeted:

#Packers are hiring Bowling Green safeties coach Ryan Downard, the university announced Monday. Downard was a defensive assistant for Mike Pettine in Cleveland before going to BGSU. Not sure if this means Darren Perry isn't returning.

I'd say that's a good way to read it. One way or the other, I don't see Perry coming back.

pbmax
01-23-2018, 12:25 AM
I'd say that's a good way to read it. One way or the other, I don't see Perry coming back.

The kid doesn't have anything other than assistant to the traveling secretary for the safeties coach on his resume in the NFL. He is going to be the Quality Control guy to replace Tim McGarigle.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-continue-coaching-staff-shakeup-138?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

mraynrand
01-23-2018, 06:21 AM
The kid doesn't have anything other than assistant to the traveling secretary for the safeties coach on his resume in the NFL. He is going to be the Quality Control guy to replace Tim McGarigle.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-continue-coaching-staff-shakeup-138?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As a result, Perry may experience the other opportunities he has on the table.

The Packers will never get anywhere with passive voice descriptions like these. Need to be more aggressive: "He's fired!"

pbmax
01-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Weird.

Jason Wilde
‏On @WildeAndTausch ~ In honor of Jerry Montgomery returning to #Packers staff after (briefly) leaving for Texas A&M, what's the shortest time you've had a job before quitting/being fired/leaving? Share via the @FestFoods Twitter feed.

Smidgeon
01-24-2018, 11:12 AM
The staff has been officially announced. And I recognize so few names. Hopefully they're all up and comers.

mraynrand
01-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Weird.

Jason Wilde
‏On @WildeAndTausch ~ In honor of Jerry Montgomery returning to #Packers staff after (briefly) leaving for Texas A&M, what's the shortest time you've had a job before quitting/being fired/leaving? Share via the @FestFoods Twitter feed.

Hmm...
I got hired by McDonalds on a Monday (truth is I worked at the place a year before - this was after my freshman year in college), worked a shift on Tuesday, got a call on Tuesday afternoon from Kohl's bakery, quit the McDonald's job, and worked the Tuesday night shift at Kohl's.

mraynrand
01-24-2018, 11:59 AM
The staff has been officially announced. And I recognize so few names. Hopefully they're all up and comers.

Offensive Perimeter – David Raih

I assume this guy will be filling and placing sandbags and positioning mortars?

Smidgeon
01-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Hmm...
I got hired by McDonalds on a Monday (truth is I worked at the place a year before - this was after my freshman year in college), worked a shift on Tuesday, got a call on Tuesday afternoon from Kohl's bakery, quit the McDonald's job, and worked the Tuesday night shift at Kohl's.

I was hired at Dairy Queen. Completed my hour long training in 30 minutes. Called that night to quit.

I got a bead during training the manager would be difficult to work with, and I was not flexible enough to work around that. I already had my primary job anyway. So I quit. 30 minutes at Dairy Queen.

Smidgeon
01-24-2018, 03:22 PM
They are building new defensive and offensive playbooks.

Interesting. Apparently a major failing on the offensive side too.

gbgary
01-24-2018, 03:59 PM
loved everything i heard from Pettine today.

mraynrand
01-24-2018, 04:13 PM
loved everything i heard from Pettine today.

From 2014:

More
Browns seriously screwed up by giving me the job instead of Dan Quinn.
0 replies 8 retweets 9 likes
Reply Retweet 8 Like 9

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
28 Jan 2014
More
Just found out our interview this week is with Kyle Shanahan, not Mike. AND that he's never coached for the Bills before. Shit.
0 replies 0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet Like 1

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
28 Jan 2014
More
Parody accounts are lame. RT @cctweets09 Did someone make a parody account for Pettine's daughter yet?
1 reply 0 retweets 1 like
Reply 1 Retweet Like 1

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
27 Jan 2014
More
There's three things in life you can never have enough of. Good friends, money, and former Buffalo Bills assistant coaches.
0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes
Reply Retweet 1 Like

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
26 Jan 2014
More
Getting ready to settle in for the Pro Bowl. Heard there's a lot of offense in this game, and I know nothing about offense. #TakingNotes
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet Like

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
26 Jan 2014
More
Really hope Josh Gordon has stayed away from the Maui Wowie this week out in Hawaii.
Reply Retweet Like

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
26 Jan 2014
More
If Cam Cameron turns me down, I'm turning to http://Match.com to find an offensive coordinator.
1 reply 3 retweets 0 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 3 Like

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
26 Jan 2014
More
This whole hiring coordinators thing is tough. I've been turned down more times than a pork sandwich in Tel Aviv.
0 replies 2 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet 2 Like

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
25 Jan 2014
More
Not that I blame him, but Chud defecated in one of the desk drawers in the coaches office when cleaning his stuff out of here.
Reply Retweet Like

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
25 Jan 2014
More
Text message I just got from Chud: "Rent, don't buy."
0 replies 7 retweets 5 likes
Reply Retweet 7 Like 5

Mike Pettine

@Mike__Pettine
25 Jan 2014
More
My daughter just told me I'm not allowed to wear Browns clothing when her friends are around "so I don't embarrass her".

pbmax
01-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Hmm...

But then did you return to McDonalds after that shift?

mraynrand
01-24-2018, 06:02 PM
But then did you return to McDonalds after that shift?

just to drop off the uniform and get a coffee

gbgary
01-25-2018, 11:41 AM
From 2014:

More
Browns seriously screwed up by giving me the job instead of Dan Quinn.
0 replies 8 retweets 9 likes
Reply Retweet 8 Like 9

Mike Pettine

..........etc.

ha! that account might be worth a follow especially how comical our D was last year.

pbmax
01-29-2018, 04:24 PM
Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers announce that secondary – safeties coach Darren Perry will pursue other opportunities.

Weird to see him gone. He was either the most or second most well regarded assistant that Capers' hire brought (along with Trgovac). He was mentioned as a possible DC candidate early in his career but was thrown out of Pittsburgh during the reshuffle when Mike Tomlin was hired.

Not sure what to make of the Packers announcing his leaving versus the rumors hitting the internet that another team signed him to coach. Might mean he is headed for a lateral move. Another new voice headed here on defense.

pbmax
01-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Source said that #Packers safeties coach Darren Perry asked for his release and coach Mike McCarthy granted it. Perry was still under contract and wanted to continue pursuing a job elsewhere.

red
01-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Green Bay Packers @packers
#Packers announce that secondary – safeties coach Darren Perry will pursue other opportunities.

Weird to see him gone. He was either the most or second most well regarded assistant that Capers' hire brought (along with Trgovac). He was mentioned as a possible DC candidate early in his career but was thrown out of Pittsburgh during the reshuffle when Mike Tomlin was hired.

Not sure what to make of the Packers announcing his leaving versus the rumors hitting the internet that another team signed him to coach. Might mean he is headed for a lateral move. Another new voice headed here on defense.

awesome news, the secondary has been a complete joke for 2 or 3 years now.

this has been the keystone cops portion of our team

he should have been let go the morning after our last game

i wanted to throw up when his name started coming up as a candidate for the d-coord job