PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy: Brett Hundley Wasn’t Prepared

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 09:04 PM
https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/01/mccarthy-brett-hundley-wasnt-prepared/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalpackers+%28Total+Packers %29

McCarthy: Brett Hundley Wasn’t Prepared

Total Packers | January 4, 2018

" ...As for 2017, coach Mike McCarthy says Hundley wasn’t prepared. You know, for the one and only job he has.

“I felt that he should’ve been better prepared for the situation that he was put into,” McCarthy said. ..."

pbmax
03-01-2018, 10:12 AM
He is still on this wagon.

“I believe in Brett Hundley,” McCarthy said, via ESPN.com. “I do fully recognize that he has a lot of football in front of him. He has a big upside. Our structure and our coaching staff, we need to make sure we maximize that, but we also need to learn from the other parts of the offense that we didn’t do as good as we would have liked, and we’ll learn from that platform. I do believe Brett has a big upside, and looking forward to getting back to work with him.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/01/mike-mccarthy-brett-hundley-wasnt-ready-but-i-still-believe-in-him/

I am not sure I believe this. Does competition alone solve this if it doesn't replace Hundley?

Teamcheez1
03-01-2018, 10:17 AM
He is still on this wagon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/01/mike-mccarthy-brett-hundley-wasnt-ready-but-i-still-believe-in-him/

I am not sure I believe this. Does competition alone solve this if it doesn't replace Hundley?

The Hundley discussion sounds like coachspeak. MM is not going to throw a player under the bus in the offseason. I believe they will keep Hundley until his contract runs out. He only counts $760k against the cap. However, if they feel they can get a better option, he could be one of those surprise cuts this summer.

RashanGary
03-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Aaron Rodgers was 8-8 his first year. It was a big drop off from Favre at first, but he got much better in years 2 and 3.

Hundley looked ok to me. I see no reason to be itching to replace him. He will be better if he has to do that again. He’s young. He’s cheap.

I’m open to finding the next 21 year old Aaron Rodgers every year, all of the time, no matter who our backup is or our starter. But I don’t feel any rush to replace Hundley. After his time starting, I see him as being a decently talented backup with some experience, who could go .500 or a little better if he had to fill in for Rodgers. That keeps us in the playoff hunt.

Keep Hundley unless something great happens. But to me it’s no rush.

Fritz
03-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Well, I think you might as well keep him around, see if he improves. There's no risk in doing that.

And if you keep him, need him, and he sucks again, you can always blame Philbin at the end of the season.

pbmax
03-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Impressed:
1. Arm
2. Legs
3. Touch on short throws better than I would have thought, especially to backs

No impressed:
1. Accuracy
2. Timing
3. Anticipation

Of course Rodgers wasn't an MVP in 2008, but he looked better than this.

MadScientist
03-01-2018, 04:05 PM
They could have put Cobb in as QB and had better results. Hundley had no accuracy whatsoever on passes more than 5 yards downfield. He was Rich Campbell level impressive, except they kept throwing him out there every week. They should have pulled him.

He also had communications problems. More than once Jordy threw his hand up because he didn't know / hear the call. He may have played somewhat better on the road because he was using hand signals there instead of his gum-chewing voice.

Smidgeon
03-01-2018, 04:39 PM
They could have put Cobb in as QB and had better results. Hundley had no accuracy whatsoever on passes more than 5 yards downfield. He was Rich Campbell level impressive, except they kept throwing him out there every week. They should have pulled him.

He also had communications problems. More than once Jordy threw his hand up because he didn't know / hear the call. He may have played somewhat better on the road because he was using hand signals there instead of his gum-chewing voice.

Watch this year. A lot of the WRs do that with Rodgers too. I speculate it's a communication of sorts "I didn't get a call, so I'm running a default route based on what I see when I release." In many case, I think Rodgers isn't going that direction already or the scramble drill gets implemented right away or it will be a 12 man call on the defense or it's a fake signal to try to throw off the opponent's D. I've seen it a lot and don't know what it means, but it was not unique to Hundley.

RashanGary
03-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Impressed:

Of course Rodgers wasn't an MVP in 2008, but he looked better than this.

Aaron Rodgers is a first ballot HOF QB. So Is the guy before him. Our scale is skewed.

pbmax
03-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Aaron Rodgers is a first ballot HOF QB. So Is the guy before him. Our scale is skewed.

Case Keenum looked better in his first two years. So did Nick Foles.

call_me_ishmael
03-01-2018, 10:31 PM
One of the worst displays of quarterbacking I've ever seen. Hundley is why GB changed everything this off-season. What else can MM say? He's not going to roast one of his players publicly.

Pugger
03-01-2018, 11:42 PM
Aaron Rodgers was 8-8 his first year. It was a big drop off from Favre at first, but he got much better in years 2 and 3.

Hundley looked ok to me. I see no reason to be itching to replace him. He will be better if he has to do that again. He’s young. He’s cheap.

I’m open to finding the next 21 year old Aaron Rodgers every year, all of the time, no matter who our backup is or our starter. But I don’t feel any rush to replace Hundley. After his time starting, I see him as being a decently talented backup with some experience, who could go .500 or a little better if he had to fill in for Rodgers. That keeps us in the playoff hunt.

Keep Hundley unless something great happens. But to me it’s no rush.

I've seen enough of Hundley to know he isn't an NFL caliber QB. I hope Gutey either drafts another one this spring (but not in the first 3 rounds unless another Russell Wilson is sitting there) or we sign a veteran who can actually throw an accurate ball further than 5 yards.

Tony Oday
03-02-2018, 06:41 AM
He was a dumpster fire.

red
03-02-2018, 07:26 AM
so.....

some give dickhead mcfatty, all the credit in the world for turning a rod into the best qb in football

but he just cameout andannounced that he has nothing to do with developing QBs, that was all someone elses fault

so is he a QB guru, or was it someone else, or was rodgers just that good to begin with?

Pugger
03-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Come on Red. Tell us how you really feel about MM. :lol:

With Hundley you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-02-2018, 09:23 AM
You know a player sucks when Harrell endorses that player and Pugger and Partial hate that player.

I mean, with all due respect, Harrell once proclaimed proudly that Richard Rodgers was way better than J-Mike. J-Mike last played in 2013, and the Packers are still looking for his replacement - although they did get half a J-Mikesque season out of Cook. D-Rod remains as fruitless as an apple tree on the North Pole.

Pugger was an eternal optimist til Hundley started playing regularly. I still remember the 4-12 season back at ole JSO. Everyone wanted the Packers to tank for Reggie Bush. Pugger was like, that's a loser mindset. After Barr's monstrous hit, Pugger was like, the season is screwed - tank for all I care.

Partial, til this season, there wasn't a black QB Partial didn't like (Vince Young, David Garrard, Bryon Leftwich, to name a few, come to mind) . Then Hundley started playing. Nowadays, Partial thinks Dak Prescott is a bum. lol

Hundley is an inaccurate, indecisive and uninspiring QB. An abomination of Hyde proportions. There are plenty of QBs hard-knocking on the streets of Baltimore at this moment in space-time that are better than Hundley. Kap, Johnny Football, Flynn, to name a few.

bobblehead
03-02-2018, 10:31 AM
so.....

some give dickhead mcfatty, all the credit in the world for turning a rod into the best qb in football

but he just cameout andannounced that he has nothing to do with developing QBs, that was all someone elses fault

so is he a QB guru, or was it someone else, or was rodgers just that good to begin with?

I didn't read it, but who did he blame?

Anyway, MM is a very good QB coach who gets the most out of QBs. The new collective bargaining doesn't allow him to develop a QB.

MM gets a lot of credit for ARod. He gets blame for not recognizing Hundly was an NFL QB. I also am ready to part ways with him, but I can be honest on the way out.

Zool
03-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Hundley looks great in practice and pre-season against 3s and 4s. When he gets on the big stage, he sucks on ice. Not sure you can blame that on coaching, unless of course you're looking for another reason to hate the coach.

pbmax
03-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Hundley looks great in practice and pre-season against 3s and 4s. When he gets on the big stage, he sucks on ice. Not sure you can blame that on coaching, unless of course you're looking for another reason to hate the coach.

I think it was somewhat telling that he looked best against the 3s and 4s in his rookie preseason. Since then, he looked much more pedestrian versus 1s and 2s since Rodgers did not play much.

Same thing with Janis.

Rutnstrut
03-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Case Keenum looked better in his first two years. So did Nick Foles.

Better coaching?

Rutnstrut
03-02-2018, 11:37 AM
I think it was somewhat telling that he looked best against the 3s and 4s in his rookie preseason. Since then, he looked much more pedestrian versus 1s and 2s since Rodgers did not play much.

Same thing with Janis.

I still think Janis would be much better if given more opportunities. Look at all the drops and fails the fraud got.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Same thing with Janis.

Janis looked pretty good against Patrick Peterson.

It's not Janis fault McCarthy has a Neanderthal IQ. The Fat Man couldn't figure out a way to weaponize Janis, ala Sherman with Billy Schroeder. Plus, Rodgers refused to trust Janis b/c he feared Janis was gonna replace Nelson.

Put Janis in NE and he's a Pro Bowler.

pbmax
03-02-2018, 11:43 AM
I still think Janis would be much better if given more opportunities. Look at all the drops and fails the fraud got.

I think there is some truth to this, but it may be with another team with a different QB. Both Patler and Maxie think there is some truth to this, that Janis' talents could be used even if it was only for certain specific plays.

But McCarthy and Rodgers like no huddle, options, (seeming) complexity and scheming. Janis is probably better in a system with fewer calls where his job is to just get open. I could see him working well with Bortles or maybe Roethlisberger as those guys will just stand tall and wait for someone to break open.

That said, Janis SHOULD be valuable in the Rodgers offense scramble drill. If he broke off a route and jetted across a formation, who would catch him? But he isn't reliable enough for the regular offense to get the reps.

pbmax
03-02-2018, 11:44 AM

It's not Janis fault McCarthy has a Neanderthal IQ. The Fat Man couldn't figure out a way to weaponize Janis, ala Sherman with Billy Schroeder. Plus, Rodgers refused to trust Janis b/c he feared Janis was gonna replace Nelson.

Right. That explains the trade offers.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-02-2018, 11:56 AM

If Gutekunst stupidly allows Janis to walk, don't be surprised to see Janis sign with NE. Belichick has a thing for special team aces. Slater is getting old and I think he has an expiring contract. J-Mac would find a way to weaponize Janis at receiver.

pbmax
03-02-2018, 12:22 PM
If Gutekunst stupidly allows Janis to walk, don't be surprised to see Janis sign with NE. Belichick has a thing for special team aces. Slater is getting old and I think he has an expiring contract. J-Mac would find a way to weaponize Janis at receiver.

So if he signs in NE, you are predicting starting Pro Bowl WR?

Zool
03-02-2018, 02:05 PM
The thing is, the Packers hate to give guys opportunities after they're drafted. Fat Mike would rather give opportunities to undrafted rookie WRs than a guy they spent a 7th rounder on 3 years ago.

Rodgers hates having weapons to throw to also and basically has no say in who plays WR. If only they would give Uncle Rico.....I mean Janice a chance, he would be Randy Moss 2.0

pbmax
03-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Tebow would like Janis.

red
03-02-2018, 04:15 PM
janis also has the brain the size of a walnut and couldn't run a route to save his life

Fritz
03-02-2018, 05:34 PM
"Dude, I'll run super-fast down the field, then cut to the right where that fat assistant coach is standing on the sideline, and you throw it as far as you can."

- Janis's route tree.

Joemailman
03-02-2018, 08:40 PM
"Dude, I'll run super-fast down the field, then cut to the right where that fat assistant coach is standing on the sideline, and you throw it as far as you can."

- Janis's route tree.

Give him some credit. There's also the route he runs so close to another receiver that one defender can cover 2 receivers.

hoosier
03-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Just for the record, Rodgers was 6-10 in his first year, not 8-8. But he was also clearly already the best QB in the NCFN. Hundley, on the other hand, was hands down the worst in his first year. I don't see much room for optimism here.

Pugger
03-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Of course McCarthy could get a guy like Matt Flynn to look like an NFL QB but Matt looked terrible everywhere else...

Pugger
03-03-2018, 07:30 AM

Janis is not a Pro Bowler...at WR. He did garner some All-Pro votes as a gunner. I doubt Rodgers is afraid Janis is gonna replace Nelson. Nelson's problem right now is he is getting long in the tooth and has slowed down. What Nelson has over Janis is he is a much better route runner. If Janis was a better WR he'd be in there. There is a reason he can't beat out Geronimo as the #3/4 guy on the depth chart.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-03-2018, 09:24 AM
So if he signs in NE, you are predicting starting Pro Bowl WR?

Yep.

J-Mac has a reputation for molding short, slow receivers of European ancestry into Pro Bowlers. Sure, Tommy B is the GOAT, but imagine what J-Mac could do with a tall, fast player like Janis.

bobblehead
03-03-2018, 09:28 AM
I think there is some truth to this, but it may be with another team with a different QB. Both Patler and Maxie think there is some truth to this, that Janis' talents could be used even if it was only for certain specific plays.

But McCarthy and Rodgers like no huddle, options, (seeming) complexity and scheming. Janis is probably better in a system with fewer calls where his job is to just get open. I could see him working well with Bortles or maybe Roethlisberger as those guys will just stand tall and wait for someone to break open.

That said, Janis SHOULD be valuable in the Rodgers offense scramble drill. If he broke off a route and jetted across a formation, who would catch him? But he isn't reliable enough for the regular offense to get the reps.

This makes me think of Bishop. All I heard was how unreliable he was. He couldn't crack the lineup. When Stubby was forced to play him he produced. I can't say how good Janis can be, but his physical talent is remarkable. He needs to be given a fair chance to suck at least.

bobblehead
03-03-2018, 09:31 AM
The thing is, the Packers hate to give guys opportunities after they're drafted. Fat Mike would rather give opportunities to undrafted rookie WRs than a guy they spent a 7th rounder on 3 years ago.

Rodgers hates having weapons to throw to also and basically has no say in who plays WR. If only they would give Uncle Rico.....I mean Janice a chance, he would be Randy Moss 2.0

But you can't deny that MM has earned the nickname stubby. He stuck with Hawk through that imbeciles inability to take on a blocker forever. MM is human. He gets opinions on guys and has trouble breaking from that opinion. Overall it has benefited him, but sometimes he is wrong.

bobblehead
03-03-2018, 09:33 AM
PS...they also refuse to move Clay to the inside where he belongs. Every time they were forced to do so the defense was remarkably better.

pbmax
03-03-2018, 09:46 AM
PS...they also refuse to move Clay to the inside where he belongs. Every time they were forced to do so the defense was remarkably better.

Its stunning how many people refuse to acknowledge this.

But its as much to do with Perry as run defender as Matthews as effective ILB. A few people you hear talk about the Packers at least acknowledge Perry's strength versus the run now.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-03-2018, 09:49 AM
janis also has the brain the size of a walnut and couldn't run a route to save his life

Janis scored 30 on the Wonderlic. He's smart enough to master McCarthy's offense. Can he run routes like another Michigan native, Greg Jennings, used to do splendidly in the Green and Gold? Probably not. But if you're in shape, it ain't that hard to run the bomb route, the jerk route, the sluggo route, the sail route, the angle route and the such.

I'm not the shutdown corner athlete I was in my prime, but I can still run the aforementioned routes pretty well playing flag football.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-03-2018, 10:03 AM

What's so special about Allison? Sloths like Allison are a dime a dozen. Speed is awesome in reality and on Madden, as Al Davis used to say.

Play Allison, and chances are he's gonna end up fumbling away your season. Play Janis, and he catches that slant and, via his awesome speed, takes it to the house.

Again, McCarthy's dullness was the reason Janis rarely played offense in 2017.

woodbuck27
03-03-2018, 10:07 AM

In the midst of so much nonsense; up steps the Man and 'his break the ice' humour.

Thanks for that red. :-)

woodbuck27
03-03-2018, 10:13 AM
But you can't deny that MM has earned the nickname stubby. He stuck with Hawk through that imbeciles inability to take on a blocker forever. MM is human. He gets opinions on guys and has trouble breaking from that opinion. Overall it has benefited him, but sometimes he is wrong.

That describes 'the Cool Aid Drinkers ' on this Forum.

We can discuss anything but ** the key ** to Packers and the future and winning a spot in the Super Bowl.

That ** key ** is Packer Nation seeing the Packer Brass say a polite Bye Bye to what's obviously 'a floundering like a beached whale' Head Coach Mike McCarthy.

It all must be 'his EXIT', as Packer Nation's REAL Best Plan.

pbmax
03-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Play Janis, and he catches that slant and, via his awesome speed, takes it to the house.

Unless there is a LB in the vicinity. Then he's going to fall down after jumping.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Unless there is a LB in the vicinity. Then he's going to fall down after jumping.

Janis is 6-4, 220. A LB ain't gonna scare him.

Yo pb, you're on twitter. Check out Janis' most recent tweet. Apparently, he changes his car's oil himself. What a stud. :jig:

Pugger
03-03-2018, 03:25 PM
What's so special about Allison? Sloths like Allison are a dime a dozen. Speed is awesome in reality and on Madden, as Al Davis used to say.

Play Allison, and chances are he's gonna end up fumbling away your season. Play Janis, and he catches that slant and, via his awesome speed, takes it to the house.

Speed isn't the be all and end all. I suspect it isn't McCarthy who is the dull one here...

Zool
03-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Huh? My sarcasm was pretty obvious. Allison is a nobody and getting tons of time ahead of Uncle Rico. That says about all you should need to know.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-04-2018, 06:40 AM

Yo pb, you're on twitter. Check out Janis' most recent tweet. Apparently, he changes his car's oil himself. What a stud. :jig:

Is that you Jeff? Seriously, I'm not sure I remember a packer so polarizing. I mean, some members of this board question his brain size, most question his ability. What's next, his penis size? I have always been a fan of giving individuals the benefit of the doubt, and then seeing what they can do on the field. I've always been intrigued by his physical attributes, but me thinks his time has passed. I think some other team will pay him more than the Packers think he is worth. Opinion from an old guy in northern wisconsin where it will be May before you can do anything fun.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Huh? My sarcasm was pretty obvious. Allison is a nobody and getting tons of time ahead of Uncle Rico. That says about all you should need to know.

The 69ners, with McCarthy's blessing, took the game manager Alex Smith over the cocky Aaron Rodgers. That doesn't mean Smith is better than Rodgers. It means the Niners' decision makers were incompetent.

McCarthy's decision to play Allison over Janis is proof of McCarthy's incompetence. Janis shoulda played a tons last season on offense, especially since Nelson looked washed up, Cobb looked like an underachiever, Allison was a waste of space (not to mention, a fumble waiting to happen), Adams was often in the conclusion protocols, and Marty B quit on the Packers. Granted, Hundley was an abomination, but he had a rapport with Janis, a bomb threat.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Speed isn't the be all and end all. I suspect it isn't McCarthy who is the dull one here...

"Speed isn't everything; it's the only thing." - Al Davis

Sure, plenty of speed fiends have tanked in the NFL. But in football, there's a titanic difference between a player who runs the 40 in 4.6 and the one that runs it in 4.4. The former often gets caught from behind and fumbles away a season; the latter is capable of catching a simple slant and taking it to the house.

McCarthy's too stupid to figure out a way to weaponize Janis. When you have a bomb threat on your roster, find a way to drop bombs on opposing defenses!

Anti-Polar Bear
03-04-2018, 07:27 AM
Is that you Jeff? Seriously, I'm not sure I remember a packer so polarizing. I mean, some members of this board question his brain size, most question his ability. What's next, his penis size? I have always been a fan of giving individuals the benefit of the doubt, and then seeing what they can do on the field. I've always been intrigued by his physical attributes, but me thinks his time has passed. I think some other team will pay him more than the Packers think he is worth. Opinion from an old guy in northern wisconsin where it will be May before you can do anything fun.

Check out the film. Good things happened in the Packers' favor when Janis was on the field playing special teams and offense.

Janis' an elite gunner, there's no question about that. Had a career game at receiver in the Arizona playoff game. McCarthy idiotically played Janis less and less on offense afterward. But good things happened when Janis was on offense, despite the rarity. The SD game where Janis caught a bomb and took a 5 yard toss a mile. The Texans game at Lambeau where he ran the rock for a TD. Pretty sure Janis scored a TD at Atlanta in 2016.

I don't know anything about Janis' penis size, but I know he's a baller. lol

pbmax
03-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Tank, Janis had a panic when he was in a game the previous year (2016 I believe). He ran a slant and the LB knew he was running a slant. Janis stalled, then ran up to the LB and jumped into the air in what was less of an attempt to catch the ball and more of an attempt to not get hurt when he got hit. The ball either bounced off someone or went elsewhere, I don't remember. I just remember Janis going to the turf on his butt.

He had no idea how to run that route with tight coverage and someone in the way. He was confused at a minimum and was in no mood to challenge the LB who could have legally popped him in the five yard bump zone. No idea how to adjust. And that is the kind of thing its his job to know. But he is used to just running around obstacles, not sticking to the route plan.

If we had a pic, and trust me I have looked for the video, the caption would read: What Are You Doing Here?

woodbuck27
03-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Every time I see this reference to MM and deeming that " Brett Hundley wasn't properly prepared"; and all the BS he fed the Media about how BH was his man as the Replacement for Aaron Rodgers

I really want to vomit !

If Packer fans can possibly find for this scumbucket Mike McCarthy after that stance; then those Packer fans are far far removed from ever benefiting from any reality checks. :bang:

Pugger
03-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Every time I see this reference to MM and deeming that " Brett Hundley wasn't properly prepared"; and all the BS he fed the Media about how BH was his man as the Replacement for Aaron Rodgers

I really want to vomit !

"If Packer fans can possibly find for this scumbucket Mike McCarthy after that stance; then those Packer fans are far far removed from ever benefiting from any reality checks. :bang:

What in the hell is MM supposed to say publicly - Hundley sucks? What good would that do? Make Packers fans feel better? :lol:

Hundley was never drafted to replace Rodgers. He was drafted to develop and be Aaron's backup. Unfortunately they couldn't develop Hundley like they did with Flynn. For some reason QB is the hardest position to scout. How many QBs have been drafted even in the first round and have busted big time?

Here is what a scout had to say about Hundley before that draft:

"STRENGTHS Well-built with frame sturdy enough to handle rigors of the position. Asked to get through progressions and make decisions. Willing to stand in and take the hit when he zeroes in on his target. Willing to get take downfield shot and give his receiver a chance to make the play. Has the ability to maneuver inside of pocket to buy time. Poised enough from pocket. Has adequate release and enough arm when he sits down on his throws. Above-average foot quickness to escape pocket. Hit 57-yard playaction touchdown from under center against Washington in 2014 (just seven attempts under center all year). Good sense of pocket pressure and is decisive when he decides to bolt. Dangerous as a runner with enough speed to hit a big play on the ground. Dual-threat ability increases his effectiveness in red zone. Displays his toughness almost every time out.

WEAKNESSES Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4 or 5

SOURCES TELL US "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON Jason Campbell

BOTTOM LINE Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter."

It appears this scout was dead on.

Rutnstrut
03-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Janis is actually a pretty bright guy. I have a friend of a friend that hunts with him. Now if he is football smart I have no idea

woodbuck27
03-04-2018, 09:56 AM
What in the hell is MM supposed to say publicly - Hundley sucks? What good would that do? Make Packers fans feel better? :lol:

Hundley was never drafted to replace Rodgers. He was drafted to develop and be Aaron's backup. Unfortunately they couldn't develop Hundley like they did with Flynn. For some reason QB is the hardest position to scout. How many QBs have been drafted even in the first round and have busted big time?

Here is what a scout had to say about Hundley before that draft:

"STRENGTHS Well-built with frame sturdy enough to handle rigors of the position. Asked to get through progressions and make decisions. Willing to stand in and take the hit when he zeroes in on his target. Willing to get take downfield shot and give his receiver a chance to make the play. Has the ability to maneuver inside of pocket to buy time. Poised enough from pocket. Has adequate release and enough arm when he sits down on his throws. Above-average foot quickness to escape pocket. Hit 57-yard playaction touchdown from under center against Washington in 2014 (just seven attempts under center all year). Good sense of pocket pressure and is decisive when he decides to bolt. Dangerous as a runner with enough speed to hit a big play on the ground. Dual-threat ability increases his effectiveness in red zone. Displays his toughness almost every time out.

WEAKNESSES Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4 or 5

SOURCES TELL US "Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON Jason Campbell

BOTTOM LINE Hundley flashes athleticism and talent, but his basic quarterbacking issues will take time to improve. In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense. Hundley is a "flash" prospect who shows the physical tools to be a starter, but his internal clock and issues with reads and progressions must be improved to give him a shot at becoming a decent NFL starter."

It appears this scout was dead on.

Yes I agree and so why didn't Ted Thompson?

Did TT not consult at all with MM and any of his possible Draft Picks; and especially a Pick for a potential Backup QB?

This isn't at all complicated. Why in hell was he ever allowed to wear Packer Colors?

If you need an apple to eventually or hopefully be a hybride apple as your Backup QB.

TT picked a fricken orange and no way should anyone or specifically the QB Coach or his Assistants ever be expected to turn that Orange into that hybride Apple.

I cannot explain it any better.

Pugger
03-04-2018, 10:04 AM
It isn't like we have a lot of draft capital invested in Hundley. Ted and the coaches thought they could do something with him. It didn't work out. Big freaking deal. It isn't like we expected Brett to be our future starter. We hoped to mold him into a serviceable NFL QB and trade him for picks like Wolf did with the likes of Brunnel and Hasselbeck and what they did with Flynn. Hundley isn't the first nor will he be the last collegiate QB to flame out in the NFL. This draft class looks pretty decent for QBs. I'm guessing they will draft another prospect next month and see what they can do with him. And the FA period hasn't yet begun. Perhaps we'll sign a veteran instead.

woodbuck27
03-04-2018, 10:26 AM
It isn't like we have a lot of draft capital invested in Hundley. Ted and the coaches thought they could do something with him. It didn't work out. Big freaking deal. It isn't like we expected Brett to be our future starter. We hoped to mold him into a serviceable NFL QB and trade him for picks like Wolf did with the likes of Brunnel and Hasselbeck and what they did with Flynn. Hundley isn't the first nor will he be the last collegiate QB to flame out in the NFL. This draft class looks pretty decent for QBs. I'm guessing they will draft another prospect next month and see what they can do with him. And the FA period hasn't yet begun. Perhaps we'll sign a veteran instead.

Meanwhile and back at the Ranch you have this:

https://overthecap.com/player/brett-hundley/3995/

You have that minus a decent QB Coach in Alex Van Pelt who was trashed by MM without MM even consulting with Aaron Rodgers as to the need for such a move.

That Pugger was a clear error in terms of RESPECT. Mike McCarthy pulled another of his stupid moves.

It utterly amazes me that MM is still in Green Bay. Does he have anything left in his bag of Houdini Act Tricks?

Pugger
03-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Meanwhile and back at the Ranch you have this:

https://overthecap.com/player/brett-hundley/3995/

You have that minus a decent QB Coach in Alex Van Pelt who was trashed by MM without MM even consulting with Aaron Rodgers as to the need for such a move.

That Pugger was a clear error in terms of RESPECT. Mike McCarthy pulled another of his stupid moves.

It utterly amazes me that MM is still in Green Bay. Does he have anything left in his bag of Houdini Act Tricks?

You and others are bitching about how terrible Hundley is and how the coaches dropped the ball with him. Perhaps this is why Van Pelt wasn't encouraged to stay? And it isn't up to Rodgers who is position coach is. I don't want MM to let Rodgers become a diva like Farve was.

pbmax
03-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Why does anyone think Alex Van Pelt was a quality QB coach?

He took over a finished product in Rodgers and did not get much out of Hundley.

red
03-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Why does anyone think Alex Van Pelt was a quality QB coach?

because he was the packers qb coach

pay attention

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2018, 10:34 AM
You and others are bitching about how terrible Hundley is and how the coaches dropped the ball with him. Perhaps this is why Van Pelt wasn't encouraged to stay? And it isn't up to Rodgers who is position coach is. I don't want MM to let Rodgers become a diva like Farve was.

When did Favre ever comment on coaching hires or fires? He may have but I don't remember. At the end of his career in Green Bay he was upset at Thompson for the handling of Randy Moss. Favre wanted Moss in Green Bay. Moss went on to catch 22 TD passes that season. Favre wanted to reload for the 2007 season, not rebuild like they did the previous two years under Thompson.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Tank, Janis had a panic when he was in a game the previous year (2016 I believe). He ran a slant and the LB knew he was running a slant. Janis stalled, then ran up to the LB and jumped into the air in what was less of an attempt to catch the ball and more of an attempt to not get hurt when he got hit. The ball either bounced off someone or went elsewhere, I don't remember. I just remember Janis going to the turf on his butt.

He had no idea how to run that route with tight coverage and someone in the way. He was confused at a minimum and was in no mood to challenge the LB who could have legally popped him in the five yard bump zone. No idea how to adjust. And that is the kind of thing its his job to know. But he is used to just running around obstacles, not sticking to the route plan.

If we had a pic, and trust me I have looked for the video, the caption would read: What Are You Doing Here?

I don't recall that incident but even if it's true, every receiver is entitled to at least an infamous occurrence.

TO with the star incident. Moss with the moon job. Schroeder with the facemask thing. Hell, Jordy was chewed out by McCarthy once for not going after a bomb Rodgers threw 2 miles out of bounds.

I'm sticking to my original premise: Good things happen when Janis is on the field. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
03-05-2018, 11:11 AM
When did Favre ever comment on coaching hires or fires? He may have but I don't remember. At the end of his career in Green Bay he was upset at Thompson for the handling of Randy Moss. Favre wanted Moss in Green Bay. Moss went on to catch 22 TD passes that season. Favre wanted to reload for the 2007 season, not rebuild like they did the previous two years under Thompson.

Well said, Nutz.

pbmax
03-05-2018, 11:55 AM

You are correct, he pretty much stuck to retirement speculation to get his way.

Bretsky
03-05-2018, 07:23 PM

:knll:

woodbuck27
03-05-2018, 11:28 PM
You are correct, he pretty much stuck to retirement speculation to get his way.

No!

Please, will you people ever get to the TRUTH:

The TRUTH: Clearly Ted Thompson as usual bungled that one after half heartedly going after Randy Moss. Ted Thompson went to sleep and blew it. Just another REAL Super Bowl (very likely in the bag) tossed away.

Mike McCarthy helped ensure that result, when in the most frigid conditions he elected to hold Packer Practices in an indoor setting.

Why didn't MM insist that TT fly the Team to Florida that week? It wouldn't have done much worse damage.

Most people move very gradually into cold water;.MM just tosses them in head first.

Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy = Bone Heads.

Pugger
03-06-2018, 03:19 PM

Did Moss go to NE for more $$? I can't recall...

bobblehead
03-06-2018, 03:39 PM

And yet when the rubber met the road he decided he was too cold to take the checkdown and threw a packer career ending pick to seal the giants berth in the big game.

What? Still too soon?

bobblehead
03-06-2018, 03:41 PM

No, he was traded. TT thought he had a done deal for moss for a 4th, and overnight hoody snarked us and offered a better 4th. So the fact that TT didn't have a better 4th to offer and NO ONE would offer a 3rd he is an epic failure. Try and keep up.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2018, 02:39 PM

I think it was a trade thing, New England got him for a fourth round pick and Moss had to restructure his contract. All I remember was that Thompson called Moss and chided him on the phone about if he was going to be a good boy, and that he would accept that Donald Driver was the team's number 1 receiver. I think Moss told Thompson to get bent, and then the Pats picked him up.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2018, 02:41 PM
And yet when the rubber met the road he decided he was too cold to take the checkdown and threw a packer career ending pick to seal the giants berth in the big game.

What? Still too soon?

Well it doesn't hurt me any more than any other Packer fan at the time. Imagine if he had Randy Moss in that game?

ThunderDan
03-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Well it doesn't hurt me any more than any other Packer fan at the time. Imagine if he had Randy Moss in that game?

Yup, nothing changes. Hard to catch a ball 7 yards from where you are even if you are a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. The loss that game certainly wasn't on the WRs.

pbmax
03-07-2018, 03:01 PM
I tend to forget how many Super Bowls Randy Moss won.

In other Hundley related news, any chance Teddy BridgeH2O escapes Minnesota and would sign with the Packers?

The Vikes are in a sweepstakes to pay 10 times the cost of their previous starter for the rights to a QB who might be 15% better (Cousins). Broncos like Keenum as their consolation prize to Cousins so I don't know if there is a scenario where Teddy leaves or not, but if he doesn't get a crack at a starting gig, might he do two years with the Packers?

red
03-07-2018, 06:12 PM
In other Hundley related news, any chance Teddy BridgeH2O escapes Minnesota and would sign with the Packers?

i'd take that in a heartbeat, IF he can play

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 02:56 AM

The TRUTH ! :pack:

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 03:14 AM
No, he was traded. TT thought he had a done deal for moss for a 4th, and overnight hoody snarked us and offered a better 4th. So the fact that TT didn't have a better 4th to offer and NO ONE would offer a 3rd he is an epic failure. Try and keep up.

Crap ! Your the GM of the Green Bay Packers and you want Randy Moss (Really want Randy Moss); you offer your fourth and say.

Please get back to me if you get a better offer and before finalizing any Randy Moss trade.

What does Randy Moss have to say about that Trade to NE from Oakland for a Fourth Round Pick:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17943337/randy-moss-remembers-trade-new-england-patriots-was-hyped-nfl

Randy Moss remembers trade to Patriots: 'I was hyped'

How did you first find out you were being traded to the Patriots?

" I got a phone call and it was Bill Belichick. I thought it was a friend or somebody playing with my phone. I actually cussed him out. When he kept saying it was Bill Belichick, I knew he was serious. I started being apologetic because I had cussed the man. Then he told me the Raiders were thinking about trading me. I had to be in Foxborough by 10 p.m. Eastern, or the trade would void. So, I just did everything that I could possibly do to get up there by 10 p.m.

After I got off the phone with him, I was excited. I was hyped. I was in a club that night. .."

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 03:17 AM

That would be deemed 'a complete Game Changer' and..... any competence in analysis.