PDA

View Full Version : MCCARTHY WANTS MORE TALENT FROM THE NEXT PACKERS GM......JS

Bretsky
01-04-2018, 10:01 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/01/04/silverstein-mike-mccarthy-wants-more-talent-next-packers-gm/1004040001/

woodbuck27
01-04-2018, 10:07 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/01/04/silverstein-mike-mccarthy-wants-more-talent-next-packers-gm/1004040001/

https://www.totalpackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Cx9K7AwUkAAzsqD-750x400.jpg

This Guy is absolutely burning himself. It's just unbelievable to watch him not perform.

red
01-05-2018, 07:54 AM
He asked the same question that many of us have mans asking, and answering

The answer is “no”, we are not doing everything we can to win a championship

pbmax
01-05-2018, 08:32 AM
It would have been nice for M3 to have this sense of urgency prior to 2018.

“I know what I’m in control of. I’m in control of making sure we’re doing everything we can, everything we can to win a championship. That’s what this process is.”

Frankly this kinda reeks of panic now that the revolution is going outside. I am not impressed with his throwing other people under the bus in this manner.

I kinda wished they had started over. If they were going to dump Ted, dump the coach too and put the new GM in charge of fixing on the fly.

I have been through this before. Half measures don't normally work. Half measure get you Bud Carson, Mike Sherman as GM and Buddy Nix. I don't think it was broken (except to decide between Dom and Ted's approach) but sacking the two of them means the third should have gone too.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Agreed on the half measures.

Fosco33
01-05-2018, 08:38 AM
An outside GM may replace M3 anyway.

As a guess - I think Aaron is pulling some of these strings - Bennet, Van Pelt, keeping M3 for now.

hoosier
01-05-2018, 08:54 AM

Frankly this kinda reeks of panic now that the revolution is going outside. I am not impressed with his throwing other people under the bus in this manner.

I kinda wished they had started over. If they were going to dump Ted, dump the coach too and put the new GM in charge of fixing on the fly.

I have been through this before. Half measures don't normally work. Half measure get you Bud Carson, Mike Sherman as GM and Buddy Nix. I don't think it was broken (except to decide between Dom and Ted's approach) but sacking the two of them means the third should have gone too.

I am not convinced that this is all desperation mode. Before Rodgers went down the Packers looked to be as good as any team in the NFC. Under Hundley the offense suddenly became inept and the defense proved unable to bottle and reproduce its early brilliant performance against Seattle. But if you could replay the season and avoid the key injuries, I would wager that the 2017 Packers would be as good if not better than the 2016 version.

Moving forward, the departure of Capers is related to the defense's underperformance over the past two years, but it is far less clear what prompted the reassignment of TT. Was it because his efforts to restock talent have failed? Or was it because health and/or age were preventing him from carrying out all of his duties? I am not convinced that we are seeing a revolution here. And McCarthy's continued presence is evidence that the surrounding pieces may be moving for various reasons.

BZnDallas
01-05-2018, 09:06 AM
I'm never a fan of a HC throwing anybody under the bus.

Saying that, I highly doubt Ball gets the job if he has no intention of using Free Agency to help this team. Everybody shitting on Ball bc he's a 'finance' guy, I get what you're saying, but realize you're jumping to conclusions. And now that MM has thrown Ted under the proverbial bus, any new GM will be under the FA microscope. If your argument is Ball doesn't know personnel, that is what the scouting department is for.

Pugger
01-05-2018, 09:07 AM
An outside GM may replace M3 anyway.

As a guess - I think Aaron is pulling some of these strings - Bennet, Van Pelt, keeping M3 for now.

From what I understand Aaron has become very close to Van Pelt so I doubt Rodgers is pulling any strings here. But he did do one thing - by being unavailable he truly exposed how dependent we are to his considerable skills camouflaging the shortcomings on the rest of the roster. After crashing and burning this year and missing the playoffs they all had to finally realize they weren't doing everything they could to win championships. IMO having a season like we just had was a blessing in disguise. Maybe now all of these changes will help us get at least one more ring before #12 retires.

Pugger
01-05-2018, 09:09 AM
I'm never a fan of a HC throwing anybody under the bus.

Saying that, I highly doubt Ball gets the job if he has no intention of using Free Agency to help this team. Everybody shitting on Ball bc he's a 'finance' guy, I get what you're saying, but realize you're jumping to conclusions. And now that MM has thrown Ted under the proverbial bus, any new GM will be under the FA microscope. If your argument is Ball doesn't know personnel, that is what the scouting department is for.

I watched Mike's presser and I didn't get the impression he was throwing Ted under the bus. What did he say that gives you and other here that impression that I'm missing here?

BZnDallas
01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
I did not watch the presser, so maybe its the headlines. But saying MM wants more talent from the next GM is kinda throwing the last GM under the bus. Thats how I felt when reading the article.

Pugger
01-05-2018, 09:32 AM
I did not watch the presser, so maybe its the headlines. But saying MM wants more talent from the next GM is kinda throwing the last GM under the bus. Thats how I felt when reading the article.

If he said that I don't recall it and it might be because he intimated that everyone in the building didn't do enough in the past couple of seasons to win and these changes had to be made.

BZnDallas
01-05-2018, 09:40 AM
If he said that I don't recall it and it might be because he intimated that everyone in the building didn't do enough in the past couple of seasons to win and these changes had to be made.

That's fine and all, like I said it could just be the headline at the top of this thread, but you're kinda burying the lead. Thats not really my point, my point was that its obvious this team needs more talent. I doubt any GM brought in is going to treat FA the same way Ted did. So the folks poo pooing Ball are just assuming based on 'finance'.

BZnDallas
01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
But I'm making assumptions as well, I'm assuming Eliot paid attention to and learned from his dad and Ted Thompson. My hope is he brings the best of both worlds and has a finance guy like Ball to help him out.

Deputy Nutz
01-05-2018, 09:47 AM
First post in the Packer Forum in a quite a long time. The High School Football season took quite the toll on my time in 2017. The team managed to make it to State with an undefeated record, but lost the championship by one point. It was a great season to be a part of the coaching staff. With the high investment in the high school program it was difficult to spend a lot of time on the below average product of the NFL and the Packers.

The Packers Roster lacks talent, and lacks depth of talent at just about every position. The receiving corps isn't as good without Rodgers. The tight ends are basically nonexistent under McCarthy for the last 10 years, and the offensive line which is supposed to be one of the better ones in football can't stay healthy. The Packers brain trust was smart, and drafted 3 running backs in 2017 that look like they can all contribute and solidify the position. There is no Ahman Green in that group but they can all be effective. Rodgers was the magic that holds this offense together. He make Nelson look like Jerry Rice, because without Rodgers Nelson is a ghost. The Packers have a lot of holes to fix this off season to get the offense back to being one of the better ranked units in the NFL. Right now they have no right tackle, their right guard is old as dirt and probably won't be back. The receiving corps is holding up a lot of cap space and you can speculate that Cobb will be cut, and Nelson might also have to look to take a pay cut. Rodgers will not like the fact that two of his targets could be sent packing but too bad. If Rodgers wants another run at a Super Bowl he might have to wait as the team reloads to have a legit shot at making back to a Super Bowl. Favre had to do it, and he was unhappy about it and complained, and I expect Rodgers to do the same under new management.

The defense is so bad for so many reasons. Dom's 3-4 zone blitz scheme seems to have run it's course. Part of the reason is that Dom never got the right players for his defense with any consistency. Outside of 2008 when Thompson drafted Raji and Matthews Thompson struggled to find the right players for this defense. His idea of converting defensive ends to linebackers was pretty much a failure at every turn. Nick Perry should have never been resigned, he was a one year wonder. The secondary has had no consistency since 2010. Because Dom and Ted could never get on the same page both of them have lost their jobs. I think it was a fair move for both of them. The Packers need to lose Matthews. He is done. They need to find someone to play next to Martinez, and invest in defensive line depth. The Packers still don't have a proven number one corner and were down to the bottom of the barrel at the end of the season. The safety play was as bad this year as it has ever been, but that can be fixed as long as guys are healthy and motivated.

McCarthy is right this team needs more talent to meet expectations. McCarthy has had two losing seasons in Green Bay. He should have a chance in 2018 to show he can be the coach to win another Super Bowl in Green Bay.

Fosco33
01-05-2018, 10:15 AM
100% agree Nutz

mraynrand
01-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Well, all the rumblings amount to people not being on the same page. I don't know how you can Stubby for his performance. When cleaning house, you don't throw out the expensive dining room table just because you have particle board desks falling apart in the office.

If the Nutz assessment is true (and you should trust championship losing coaches, I've heard), the Packer cupboard is pretty bare. I don't think it's that dire, but there are at least 4-5 major roster holes, and at some of critical positions (e.g. O Tackle, OLB, TE).

Hoping they get a functioning personnel team that works with Stubby, and a DC who is a little nasty.

pbmax
01-05-2018, 12:38 PM
I am not convinced that this is all desperation mode. Before Rodgers went down the Packers looked to be as good as any team in the NFC. Under Hundley the offense suddenly became inept and the defense proved unable to bottle and reproduce its early brilliant performance against Seattle. But if you could replay the season and avoid the key injuries, I would wager that the 2017 Packers would be as good if not better than the 2016 version.

Moving forward, the departure of Capers is related to the defense's underperformance over the past two years, but it is far less clear what prompted the reassignment of TT. Was it because his efforts to restock talent have failed? Or was it because health and/or age were preventing him from carrying out all of his duties? I am not convinced that we are seeing a revolution here. And McCarthy's continued presence is evidence that the surrounding pieces may be moving for various reasons.

I don't think the moves on offense are desperation. But I cannot shake the feeling that Capers would be here if they made the playoffs again. And the same dynamic would be in place unless the new GM wants to stock defense with vets.

And since that is backwards from how good franchises work, I think the wholesale changes on D are a bit of desperation.

pbmax
01-05-2018, 12:39 PM
From what I understand Aaron has become very close to Van Pelt so I doubt Rodgers is pulling any strings here. But he did do one thing - by being unavailable he truly exposed how dependent we are to his considerable skills camouflaging the shortcomings on the rest of the roster. After crashing and burning this year and missing the playoffs they all had to finally realize they weren't doing everything they could to win championships. IMO having a season like we just had was a blessing in disguise. Maybe now all of these changes will help us get at least one more ring before #12 retires.

Van Pelt wanted to hit coaching FA. Rodgers knew this. Only certain reporters didn't recognize this.

mraynrand
01-05-2018, 12:43 PM
I don't think the moves on offense are desperation. But I cannot shake the feeling that Capers would be here if they made the playoffs again. And the same dynamic would be in place unless the new GM wants to stock defense with vets.

And since that is backwards from how good franchises work, I think the wholesale changes on D are a bit of desperation.

It doesn't look like desperation - more of an admission that the current situation wasn't working. Whomever does in as GM and DC will have to work out the same issues, but it's likely that guys will be hired with that working a requirement.

pbmax
01-05-2018, 12:54 PM
It doesn't look like desperation - more of an admission that the current situation wasn't working. Whomever does in as GM and DC will have to work out the same issues, but it's likely that guys will be hired with that working a requirement.

The track record here is not encouraging though. It should have been solved a few years ago by the same two guys still working (Murphy and McCarthy).

gbgary
01-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Rodgers...
He makes Nelson look like Jerry Rice, because without Rodgers Nelson is a ghost.

besides Rodgers all we've seen throw to Nelson are sub-par backups. he also runs routes longer than 5 five yards which these back-ups can't go to because the game's too fast for them.

mraynrand
01-05-2018, 01:06 PM
The track record here is not encouraging though. It should have been solved a few years ago by the same two guys still working (Murphy and McCarthy).

I know, it's worrisome. But hopefully Murphy, the next GM and Stubby will be skipping hand in hand in hand with the new DC.
http://www.tamswitmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Wizard-of-Oz-RSC-and-MUNI1-541x346.jpg
(Stubby is the one without a brain)

woodbuck27
01-05-2018, 02:48 PM

Your so correct.

That Mike McCarthy is demonstrating so much moxy is way beyond anything and rational common sense and reality.

How Mike McCarthy is pulling this off, is like nothing else I've ever seen in my 60 Years as a Pro Sports Fan.

I keep hoping that someone, with the good sense to know differently; will suddenly do what is necessary to get rid of this incorrigible back stabbing scapegoating imposter.

That sensable minds will pull the carpet out from under Mike McCarthy's feet and dump him on his fat ass.

Pugger
01-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Your so so so correct. That Mike McCarthy is demonstrating so much moxy is way beyond anything and rational common sense and reality.

How Mike McCarthy is pulling this off is like nothing else I've ever seen in my 60 Years as a Pro Sports Fan.

I keep hoping that someone with the good sense to know differently; will suddenly do what is necessary to get rid of this incorrigible back stabbing imposter.

That sensable minds will pull the carpet out from under Mike McCarthy's feet and dump him on his fat ass.

Pulling off what, pray tell?

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2018, 02:52 PM
This thread title is shocking. Since when did head coaches want more talent??

In my NFL days, we knuckled down and made do with what we had, like Colonel Nicholson in "The Bridge Over the River Kwai".

pbmax
01-05-2018, 03:10 PM

In my NFL days, we knuckled down and made do with what we had, like Colonel Nicholson in "The Bridge Over the River Kwai".

I watched that movie over Christmas. Perfect antidote to schmaltz.

MADNESS!

woodbuck27
01-05-2018, 03:19 PM
I watched Mike's presser and I didn't get the impression he was throwing Ted under the bus. What did he say that gives you and other here that impression that I'm missing here?

Silverstein: Mike McCarthy wants more talent from next Packers GM

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 5:19 p.m. CT Jan. 4, 2018

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 08:57 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/07/silverstein-gm-hire-puts-mike-mccarthy-must-win-situation/1009029001/

Silverstein: GM hire puts Mike McCarthy in must-win situation

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 5:23 p.m. CT Jan. 7, 2018 | Updated 5:28 p.m. CT Jan. 7, 2018

Bretsky
01-07-2018, 10:10 PM

HOW DARE THEY ask for a sense of urgency to win a championship. Complete Crap !!

Bretsky
01-07-2018, 10:11 PM

Silverstein: Mike McCarthy wants more talent from next Packers GM

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 5:19 p.m. CT Jan. 4, 2018

HE SHOULD

Freak Out
01-07-2018, 11:32 PM
I sure as hell hope he does. WTH. TT made a pick for the ages when Arod dropped into his lap...that just doesn't happen very often. But he ha made some real blunders along the path to 2018. Gunk better load this train up and make a run for it before Rodgers is gonzo.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2018, 08:54 AM
This thread - the title and article anyway - is a breath of fresh air. The one who ain't in Rand's Wizard of Oz pic is the "wicked witch". Ding Dong Ted is gone!

Everybody here, some of us a lot more than others, really really want more talent from the next GM and think that indeed everything possible was NOT being done to Make the Packers Great Again during the Ted Thompson era.

bobblehead
01-08-2018, 09:15 AM
I sure as hell hope he does. WTH. TT made a pick for the ages when Arod dropped into his lap...that just doesn't happen very often. But he ha made some real blunders along the path to 2018. Gunk better load this train up and make a run for it before Rodgers is gonzo.

I'm lazy, but I would bet that TTs picks in rounds 1-5 average more years in the league than nearly anyones.

pbmax
01-08-2018, 09:30 AM
I'm lazy, but I would bet that TTs picks in rounds 1-5 average more years in the league than nearly anyones.

bobble, did you hear the news? The coach says its the talent not the coaching.

While he has fired or reassigned 4 assistant coaches.

red
01-08-2018, 09:53 AM

TTs heaven reliance on draft and develop also adds to this. We had to keep guys on the roster who shouldnt have been there because we had no other options.

8-10 picks for year, you have to keep 52+ps, means the average lifespan of a TT pick was 5-6 years

If Tt had used free agency more, a lot of those guys would have been out of the nfl sooner imo

pbmax
01-08-2018, 10:14 AM
TTs heaven reliance on draft and develop also adds to this. We had to keep guys on the roster who shouldnt have been there because we had no other options.

8-10 picks for year, you have to keep 52+ps, means the average lifespan of a TT pick was 5-6 years

If Tt had used free agency more, a lot of those guys would have been out of the nfl sooner imo

The hit rate on free agents is no more than the draft. We are talking about a couple of bodies each year. And the older the team, the less FA you can sign.

mraynrand
01-08-2018, 10:49 AM
I watched that movie over Christmas. Perfect antidote to schmaltz.

MADNESS!

I watched "Death Before Dishonor" (this is peak 80's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPQcVZUpt4k

red
01-08-2018, 11:41 AM
The hit rate on free agents is no more than the draft. We are talking about a couple of bodies each year. And the older the team, the less FA you can sign.

If you take my little example of a 5 to 6 year period. Say you sign a couple more free agent backups every year. That means 10-12 less draft picks on your team

If these free agents are better then those draft picks

And if that’s is the case, then you would have less TT draft picks on the team. IMO all tts draft picks are not staying in the league (on our team) based on talent, but more because of how our team is built

run pMc
01-08-2018, 12:02 PM
this just in: drunk wants more booze from bartender.

also: death before dishonor LOL Joanna Pacula was way out of Fred Dryer's league.

MadtownPacker
01-08-2018, 12:24 PM
I hope M3 gets done like Mike Sherman. New GM brings in his own guy after lameducking M3 for a year.

Hey, it worked out pretty good, resulting in the 2007 13-3 season. Let Rodgers have a career refresh also.

Fritz
01-08-2018, 02:42 PM
The way things are set up, I'm more concerned that Mikey-Mike's backbiting to Murphy will result in Gutty getting sacked after a year if the Packers don't get to the SB. Because MM's go-to now appears to be that he just wasn't given enough talent.

Smidgeon
01-08-2018, 02:57 PM
The way things are set up, I'm more concerned that Mikey-Mike's backbiting to Murphy will result in Gutty getting sacked after a year if the Packers don't get to the SB. Because MM's go-to now appears to be that he just wasn't given enough talent.

Regarding M3, if this went down the way most of us see it going down (i.e. power grab/complaint channel), then my opinion of M3 has tanked faster than the Packers starting Hundley.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2018, 06:22 PM

In fact, he wasn't given enough talent, and if Gutekunst doesn't take some major steps in that direction, then maybe he would deserve to get sacked after a year or so.

red
01-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Regarding M3, if this went down the way most of us see it going down (i.e. power grab/complaint channel), then my opinion of M3 has tanked faster than the Packers starting Hundley.

Yup, Shit move by fat mike

I lost what little respect I had left for the guy

Deputy Nutz
01-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Drafting is certainly how you build a roster, but drafting year after year at the end of every round takes a toll on the talent of the roster. If a drafting only strategies is the way your team builds its roster than you better hope you have a creative GM that figures out ways to add picks

pbmax
01-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Drafting is certainly how you build a roster, but drafting year after year at the end of every round takes a toll on the talent of the roster. If a drafting only strategies is the way your team builds its roster than you better hope you have a creative GM that figures out ways to add picks

One pricey FA a year would sort out the draft handicap though. That doesn't seem to be what anyone wants though.

JSO and lots of posters wanted vet depth in the secondary to prevent Dom from having to start safeties at CB or rookie CBs. This year, they would have needed 2 or 3 vet CBs to ride it out.

bobblehead
01-08-2018, 10:33 PM

Your opinion is wrong. I should simply end the post there, but I will point out the guys like Kyrie Thornton and Eric Walden played several years for other teams. Allen Barbre and Breno Giacominni are still in the league. I can do this all day with guys who weren't good enough for TTs roster, but played a lot of years in the league....Marshall Newhouse anyone.

Freak Out
01-08-2018, 11:42 PM
So of all of TT's picks how many are still in the NFL? lol Please do the work...I'm to lazy.

mraynrand
01-09-2018, 02:48 PM
So of all of TT's picks how many are still in the NFL? lol Please do the work...I'm to lazy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/draft.htm

woodbuck27
01-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Excluding the last two Drafts or the 2015 Draft and going back to Aaron Rodgers and the 2005 Draft::

45 out of 105 TT Picks are still playing in the NFL.

Freak Out
01-09-2018, 10:47 PM
Excluding the last two Drafts or the 2015 Draft and going back to Aaron Rodgers and the 2005 Draft::

45 out of 105 TT Picks are still playing in the NFL.

So I would think thats not to bad.....right?

beveaux1
01-10-2018, 07:26 AM
So I would think thats not to bad.....right?

I would think that's pretty amazing. Average life for an NFL player is 3 years.

beveaux1
01-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Not amazing, but certainly good. Checked 4 additional teams, New England, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Minnesota for that same time frame. Green Bay had more picks still in the NFL than any of those teams and a higher percentage of picks still in the NFL.

You can't fault Thompson for not drafting NFL ready players.

mraynrand
01-10-2018, 02:27 PM
^^^ The football entitlementia and lack of perspective from some on this board is astonishing. People were actually giving Thompson D and F grades. My new years' resolution is to simply ignite* such idiots.

*ignore. But ignite would work too.

Rastak
01-10-2018, 03:10 PM
^^^ The football entitlementia and lack of perspective from some on this board is astonishing. People were actually giving Thompson D and F grades. My new years' resolution is to simply ignite* such idiots.

*ignore. But ignite would work too.

I was gonna say going Richard Pryor/Michael Jackson on them seems drastic....

pbmax
01-10-2018, 03:32 PM
I was gonna say going Richard Pryor/Michael Jackson on them seems drastic....

I was rehearsing a concert sequence for a film with my brothers, hit Reply With Quote on PackerRats and suddenly my head was on fire.

Now that is a hack.

Freak Out
01-10-2018, 05:50 PM
LOL @ you three.

Smidgeon
01-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Some boring TT draft stats:

* 56% of TT's picks (through 2014 draft) were in the league for more than three years worth of games--excluding games lost due to injury
* 16% of TT's picks (through 2011 draft) played in more than 100 games
* In every year through 2014 except 2007, 2010, TT has drafted a Pro Bowler, and you could make the case someone from each of those years has deserved a spot (Crosby from the 2007 class; Bulaga from the 2010 class)
* 11% of TT's picks have started more than 90% of the games they've played in
* 18% of TT's picks have played in more than 90% of the games they were available for (excluding injury)
* 15% of TT's picks that played at least in one NFL game either led the league in a major stat or were probowl/allpro/mvp players

I could break it down more, but I didn't care to.

woodbuck27
01-10-2018, 08:51 PM

* 56% of TT's picks (through 2014 draft) were in the league for more than three years worth of games--excluding games lost due to injury
* In every year through 2014 except 2007, 2010, TT has drafted a Pro Bowler, and you could make the case someone from each of those years has deserved a spot (Crosby from the 2007 class; Bulaga from the 2010 class)
* 18% of TT's picks have played in more than 90% of the games they were available for (excluding injury)
* 15% of TT's picks that played at least in one NFL game either led the league in a major stat or were probowl/allpro/mvp players

:bclap: ......................................:bclap: .........................................:bclap:

smuggler
01-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Really not inspired by McCarthy. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I just don't see him ever winning another Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
01-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Really not inspired by McCarthy. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I just don't see him ever winning another Super Bowl.

He'll soon be gone.

Mike McCarthy is obviously ......... the Weakest LINK.

Smidgeon
01-16-2018, 04:04 PM

With Clark Harris (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/bengals-long-snapper-clark-harris-selected-for-pro-bowl/Clark Harris) and Davante Adams (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/davante-adams-replaces-julio-jones-in-pro-bowl/) both going to the Pro Bowl this year, TT's rate of Pro Bowl picks went up again.