PDA

View Full Version : Packers hire Brian Gutekunst as GM

Rastak
01-07-2018, 12:55 PM
http://fox6now.com/2018/01/07/report-green-bay-packers-hire-brian-gutekunst-as-new-gm/

KYPack
01-07-2018, 12:59 PM
The other shoe (of many shoes) drops.

beveaux1
01-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Didn't wait until Monday. Glad to see the drama stop.

esoxx
01-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Like it.

gbgary
01-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Didn't wait until Monday. Glad to see the drama stop.

yup. the personnel guy over the numbers guy. that's good. hope he's got balls. guess we'll see soon enough. if he does that'll put the onus on MM to put up or shut up.

Pugger
01-07-2018, 01:10 PM
If we couldn't get Schneider Gut was the guy I wanted Murphy to hire. I'd wager MM didn't want to lose him to the Texans.

Tony Oday
01-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Love it.

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutt!

esoxx
01-07-2018, 01:41 PM
E. Wolf must be feeling gut shot over this decision.

Pugger
01-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Shall we call him Gut or Gute?

Tony Oday
01-07-2018, 01:43 PM
E. Wolf must be feeling gut shot over this decision.
Isn't Wolf like 34? No chance do I want someone that young to be GM. Assistant sure but not the big chair.

esoxx
01-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Gute is phonetically correct and also a nod to his Minnesota heritage. Like lukefisk, notice the "e" in there?

RashanGary
01-07-2018, 01:53 PM
I like it. The packers have had their personnel team raided the last several years. This might be our last strong, capable and ready guy in the wings. Now we have to keep it going. Thompson will still scout and advise. So that’s very helpful.

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 01:53 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/07/brian-gutekunst-gets-green-bay-packers-gm-job/1011265001/

The hiring of Gutekunst is a huge victory for coach Mike McCarthy, who badly wanted someone who was experienced in player personnel and would be willing to partake in all phases of player acquisition.

Gutekunst has never expressed what his style of management would be, but having worked with Ron Wolf and current general managers John Schneider, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie, all of whom have been aggressive in player acquisition, it’s likely he’s more open to free agency than Thompson.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Huh.

One more conspiracy minded theory before I buy in. Gutekunst was being represented (or identified might be a better term) by the search firm that was helping the Texans search for a GM. He was identified this weekend as a finalist for interviews next week for Houston. Murphy has used that search firm before and one of that firms partners is advising Murphy about the GM search.

Is it a coincidence that Gutekunst got the nod a little faster than expected?

Brian Gutekunst is the least objectionable choice of the three know candidates. And this is fine. Its also a reason not to be that excited. I hope he is just as ruthless as Ted and that includes stuffing McCarthy in a box and dropping him in the Fox River if he keeps whining about everyone else not doing their job.

I am not very excited.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 01:55 PM
yup. the personnel guy over the numbers guy. that's good. hope he's got balls. guess we'll see soon enough. if he does that'll put the onus on MM to put up or shut up.

We are 2/3 in agreement on remaining issues! I hope he knocks some heads together and gets the drama ended.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2018, 01:56 PM
BG...Dilly. Dilly.

mission
01-07-2018, 01:56 PM
He looks like the kind of guy who would have some balls. Not surprising they went this direction over Wolf, given Gute seemed to be getting more interviews around the league over the last couple years. Now I'm reading on Twitter that "NFL sources" felt he was a future front office star two years ago.

Really don't hate this hire even though I wanted them to wait and get Paton or DeCosta, but those were hardly guarantees. Ball would have been a disaster even from a PR standpoint and fan confidence would probably be pretty low. I'm excited about just someone new who won't be afraid to pick up the phone himself to talk with agents and try to work some magic. I have a feeling TT was just a complete hermit when it came to this kind of thing.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 01:57 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/07/brian-gutekunst-gets-green-bay-packers-gm-job/1011265001/

I just want to note that this statement:

Gutekunst has never expressed what his style of management would be, but having worked with Ron Wolf and current general managers John Schneider, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie, all of whom have been aggressive in player acquisition, it’s likely he’s more open to free agency than Thompson.

is the most logically incoherent statement I have read in a week full of them. Its bafflingly stupid.

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Now convince Ball to stay and you've got the best situation you could have hoped for.

Vincenzo
01-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Huh.

One more conspiracy minded theory before I buy in. Gutekunst was being represented (or identified might be a better term) by the search firm that was helping the Texans search for a GM. He was identified this weekend as a finalist for interviews next week for Houston. Murphy has used that search firm before and one of that firms partners is advising Murphy about the GM search.

Is it a coincidence that Gutekunst got the nod a little faster than expected?

Brian Gutekunst is the least objectionable choice of the three know candidates. And this is fine. Its also a reason not to be that excited. I hope he is just as ruthless as Ted and that includes stuffing McCarthy in a box and dropping him in the Fox River if he keeps whining about everyone else not doing their job.

I am not very excited.
Yes.
So much for the “extensive search” Murphy said to the media last week.
I think he hit the panic button as soon as he heard the Texans were interested.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 01:59 PM
He looks like the kind of guy who would have some balls. Not surprising they went this direction over Wolf, given Gute seemed to be getting more interviews around the league over the last couple years. Now I'm reading on Twitter that "NFL sources" felt he was a future front office star two years ago.

Really don't hate this hire even though I wanted them to wait and get Paton or DeCosta, but those were hardly guarantees. Ball would have been a disaster even from a PR standpoint and fan confidence would probably be pretty low. I'm excited about just someone new who won't be afraid to pick up the phone himself to talk with agents and try to work some magic. I have a feeling TT was just a complete hermit when it came to this kind of thing.

Would love to have seen De Costa come in and bring a little Ravens D drafting luck/tips to the Packers constant mining of O talent.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Yes.
So much for the “extensive search” Murphy said to the media last week.
I think he hit the panic button as soon as he heard the Texans were interested.

Media moaning is often self serving and basically meaningless, but Nagler and Oates made good points on Twitter in the last 24 hours.

The publicly owned team would not comment on its GM search or interview process. Have they even confirmed that Getsy left, Bennett has been stripped of his job and Van Pelt has left? The Bears had comments on each interview after it happened.

That kind of secrecy I can forgive in football operations, where you fear giving the opposition good intel or draft nuggets. But its dumb when hiring the top of the franchise.

rollo
01-07-2018, 02:02 PM
I think this is a great hire. I wonder, did the Packers fulfill the Rooney Rule during their GM candidate search?

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:03 PM
I also really want to know how much of Russ Ball's front runner status was an invention of the coverage.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:04 PM
OK, last of the bad attitude:

Predict when BG will have to fire the guy who might have paved the way (M3) for his ascension?

If Spoon was right in his assessment of this as a win for M3, then its the worst reason to hire a GM. I don't care if the coach survives in his job, I want the fundamentals of the franchise maintained and McCarthy doesn't represent a key cog there.

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 02:04 PM
I just want to note that this statement:

The hiring of Gutekunst is a huge victory for coach Mike McCarthy, who badly wanted someone who was experienced in player personnel and would be willing to partake in all phases of player acquisition.

is the most logically incoherent statement I have read in a week full of them. Its bafflingly stupid.

I agree it's incoherent in that it ignores the possibility that he might have been influenced by working with Thompson. However, saying he might be more involved in free agency than Thompson isn't exactly going out on a limb. It will probably be true to some extent.

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 02:06 PM
I think this is a great hire. I wonder, did the Packers fulfill the Rooney Rule during their GM candidate search?

I don't know. Does requesting an interview with Reggie McKenzie suffice?

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:07 PM
I agree it's incoherent in that it ignores the possibility that he might have been influenced by working with Thompson. However, saying he might be more involved in free agency than Thompson isn't exactly going out on a limb. It will probably be true to some extent.

Exactly. So the statement could have read: "Given Thompsons' league leading resistance to veteran free agency, its likely Gutekunst will be more open to it even if his actually player acquisition philosophy is unknown at this time."

The first sentence about training (the same people who trained Ted) is an effort to make a case that doesn't exist.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:08 PM

I bet they interviewed Whaley.

Unless the list of interviews is longer than we know, Murphy was just doing tokenism and not interested in looking beyond the Packers way of doing things.

rollo
01-07-2018, 02:09 PM

I don't think it does. The Lions sort of used that as an excuse in 2003 but still got fined 200k.

"In 2003, the NFL fined the Detroit Lions $200,000 for failure to interview African-American candidates for the team's vacant head coaching job. After Marty Mornhinweg was fired, the Lions immediately hired former San Francisco 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci (a native of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) to replace him without interviewing any other candidates. The Lions claimed they attempted to interview other candidates but that the African-American candidates withdrew from interviews, believing Mariucci's hiring was inevitable.[18] The Lions wouldn't have a minority head coach until hiring Jim Caldwell in 2014."

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 02:13 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30220-Who-should-be-the-next-GM

CaptainD, Carolina_Packer, esoxx, Fritz, Pugger, and swede got their man.

mraynrand
01-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Would love to have seen De Costa come in and bring a little Ravens D drafting luck/tips to the Packers constant mining of O talent.

From some reading I did the other day, I'm not sure where the genius/luck is over there in Baltimore. Perhaps a new assistant could be brought in from Baltimore, not unlike hiring a new faculty who was a fellow in a competing institution. Pump 'em for information and techniques; get a new perspective, make jokes about the Hairballs.

Tony Oday
01-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Hate the Rooney Rule, most racist rule in football...hey everyone we need a token interview!

mraynrand
01-07-2018, 02:23 PM
Exactly. So the statement could have read: "Given Thompsons' league leading resistance to veteran free agency, its likely Gutekunst will be more open to it even if his actually player acquisition philosophy is unknown at this time."

The first sentence about training (the same people who trained Ted) is an effort to make a case that doesn't exist.

journalism is dead

gbgary
01-07-2018, 02:23 PM
I bet they interviewed Whaley.

and maybe highsmith.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
journalism is dead

I think its just tired of producing free content and bad videos.

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
and maybe highsmith.

I think Highsmith left because he wasn't going to get an interview.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Hate the Rooney Rule, most racist rule in football...hey everyone we need a token interview!

As in much of life, the only way the Rooney Rule is racist is if you treat the candidates and search that way.

Any decent organization (and its in doubt if the Packers qualified this time) casts a much wider net than the rule. Its an opportunity to learn something new. Belichick and Parcels did it when interviewing assistant coaches. They did it to Dungy to figure out how they made the Pittsburgh defense work when it looked too small to them to function.

And that should be a story someone writes at length about. Steelers were the most 4-3 team in history (Steel Curtain) that regularly beat the tar out of 3-4 teams it faced (Browns, Oilers). Mid decade, after a series of near .500 finishes, they switched and the fan base did not revolt. Dungy was there for that.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Packers are hiring Brian Gutekunst as GM, ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed. Gutekunst is the most well-rounded scout in the personnel department and knocked it out of the park in his interview.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Packer Report

Gutekunst interviewed for the position on Friday and was supposed to be in Houston to interview for the general manager opening with the Texans on Sunday.

Panic?

That no doubt appealed to McCarthy, who played a major role in the search.

I cannot express how dumb this is if its true. He has two years left and would have had only one if they had left things alone. This is Favre and Sherman all over again.

George Cumby
01-07-2018, 02:41 PM
I will be interested to see if Ball and the Wolf pup stick around. If they do, color me optimistic.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Gutekunst, 44, was hired by Ron Wolf as a scouting intern in 1997. Left for one year and returned as a college scout. Has been with the #Packers ever since. He is steeped in the Wolf way of running football operations. Not unlike Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie.

Why does everyone write as though 2000 was just yesterday? Gutekunst worked with Wolf for three years. With Ted for 13. Mike Sherman and Hatley for four.

Russ Ball worked with Schottenheimer and Loomis for 13 years but everyone treats him like he is Ted's son.

George Cumby
01-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Wasn't SF close to hiring Guts until he backed out?

esoxx
01-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Gute is phonetically correct and also a nod to his Minnesota heritage. Like lukefisk, notice the "e" in there?

Of course, we could also use the back end of his name and call him Kunst. "That Kunst is really on fire in the draft this year." Then, when he inevitably disappoints us in a major way, we can drop the "s" and really let him have it :lol:

Joemailman
01-07-2018, 02:53 PM
I will be interested to see if Ball and the Wolf pup stick around. If they do, color me optimistic.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/32505c5032f4d5e3f735aa849a3726c7b57e7858/c=0-0-1768-1329&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2017/05/08/WIGroup/PackersNews/636298501924809651-gutekunst.jpg

Is this the phone call from Murphy? Only Gute is smiling.

I think Ball will stay. Wolf might have more opportunities elsewhere.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Wasn't SF close to hiring Guts until he backed out?

Yes. Speculation is that he wasn't going to get to name the first coach, ironically enough.

Carolina_Packer
01-07-2018, 03:07 PM
The hiring makes sense. It's the devil you know. I am with the camp that wishes they could have gotten more outside candidates lined up, and in at least one case was blocked. As for the quote from the article, that sounds like editorializing. The line between reporting and editorializing has long since been blurred. OK, we get it. You want a GM who is more active in veteran free agency.

As for Russ Ball, I don't think anyone is going to come calling for him as a GM candidate. He may be too specialized as a cap/finance guy, and he's only a few years behind TT, which is less of a factor than talent and experience, but his seems to be very specialized. For all those reasons, I see him riding it out in Green Bay, and that's good for the team.

I wish BG well, and count me among those who are hopeful he will use reasonable veteran free agency to fill talent gaps, when it makes more sense than waiting for the development of a younger, less experienced player.

Smidgeon
01-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Doug Whaley

pbmax
01-07-2018, 03:22 PM
According to a source, Murphy and Gutekunst want Eliot Wolf to stay and will try to convince him not to leave for another job. They will have their hands full convincing him after that decision.

Just let the Son of Wolf go.

esoxx
01-07-2018, 03:29 PM
"In Brian We Trust" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

What should it be?

In Brian We Believe, Brian Bring It, The Life Of Brian, Fresh Start with Bart?

This isn't easy.

mraynrand
01-07-2018, 03:31 PM

What should it be?

This isn't easy.

instead of the BrainTrust it's the BrianTrust.

Pugger
01-07-2018, 03:37 PM
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30220-Who-should-be-the-next-GM

CaptainD, Carolina_Packer, esoxx, Fritz, Pugger, and swede got their man.

:glug:

George Cumby
01-07-2018, 03:55 PM

What should it be?

This isn't easy.

No Gutes, No Glory.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Guteus Maximus

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 04:00 PM
http://fox6now.com/2018/01/07/report-green-bay-packers-hire-brian-gutekunst-as-new-gm/

Rastak !

You scooped all the Packer fans. :whaa:

Impressive !

** I went to bed last night and thinking of what I've learned observing Accountants. (** see bottom of this Post)

Before retiring I was thinking if Mark Murphy went with Russ Ball we risked 'no real change' after TT. It has come out that Russ Ball actually held the Green Bay Packer Purse Strings. Russ Ball made the financial or CAP Management and Contract decisions.

Now hopefully with the Personnel Guy; we get our Roster upgraded not with advice to an Accountant; but with front line decision making.

Brian Gutekunst was likely going to be a more popular choice than Russ Ball overall and the Green Bay Packers Organization and in Packer Nation.

(YES !) Packerrats, the Packer fans do count. We might even hang onto Russ Ball; and most likely now lose Eliot Wolf. With the Russ Ball hire; we might have lost both Eliot Wolf and Gutekunst.

Rastak:

** Have you ever attended a Social Function with a bunch of Accountants present? It's difficult for an all round Guy as I am; to drink socially in the same room as them. There are some accountants that are regular fellas but put 4-6 of them together and Moses !

These Accounting Guy's actually drink with their bottled Beer and glass's, and Cocktails held against their Upper torsos their, so fricken Anal. Gert one or two with a regular bunch of Lad's and I suppose they can act like 'just one of 'the Boys'!?

As Aaron Rodgers would likely say: Just R. E. L. A. X.

Congratulations Packer GM Brian Guteckunst.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
Before hiring Brian Gutekunst as GM, the Packers also interviewed Eliot Wolf, Russ Ball and Doug Whaley. There may have been others, but those are the known interviews for sure.

Perfunctory is the word that comes to mind. And Mike Sherman's promotion to GM is the closest parallel.

Bretsky
01-07-2018, 05:36 PM

Gooter has a nice ring; we need a nickname !!

Bretsky
01-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Like it.

I'm ok with it but I have to wonder. Is he the best personnel guy we had available ? Maybe the answer is yes; but did we even interview anybody form the outside and do our due diliegence ?

GOTTA SAY THOUGH

GOOTER IS WAY BETTER THAN CAPPIE GUY

mraynrand
01-07-2018, 05:47 PM
We had a nickname for coach Gutekunst at MN, but it's totally inappropriate - even here.

esoxx
01-07-2018, 06:15 PM
No Gutes, No Glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 06:27 PM
I'm ok with it but I have to wonder. Is he the best personnel guy we had available ? Maybe the answer is yes; but did we even interview anybody form the outside and do our due diliegence ?

GOTTA SAY THOUGH

GOOTER IS WAY BETTER THAN CAPPIE GUY

I got to someone other that Russ Ball as I thought more about it last evening before bedtime. I wanted to sleep on that. Take a break from Packerrats and watch Buffalo @ Jacksonville.

Suddenly...Mae leaked that maybe a New Packer GM might have been named. I was surprised and went to Google before Packerrats.

Questions?

What TRUTHFULLY was going down and Houston and Brian Gutekunst?

Was Eliot Wolf that far behind in the Interviews and Qualifications?

It actually went down a day earlier than I expected although it was my analysis it had to go down ASAP; as I was paying a lot of attention to MM's behaviours. Why name the New GM Hire today?

Did Packer President and CEO Mark Murphy hit the PANIC Button? If that's the case!? Who played any roles and that?

Strange Brew
01-07-2018, 06:27 PM
Anyone but Ted!

red
01-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Good, it’s one of the 2 in house guys that looked good

So, how the fuck do you say his name?

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 06:59 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/reports-packers-hire-brian-gutekunst-new-gm/

Source: Packers hire Brian Gutekunst as new GM

" The Houston Chronicle first reported Sunday that Gutekunst had taken the job. "

The Houston Chronicle first reported ...?

? ... Why the Houston Chronicle?

gbgary
01-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Guteus Maximus

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

gbgary
01-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Perfunctory is the word

language sir.

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Good, it’s one of the 2 in house guys that looked good

Here red:

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Brian%20Gutekunst

Like this:

Brian Gud i kinst

gbgary
01-07-2018, 07:09 PM

Guteheimerschmidt. spelled just the way it sounds. da da dada da da da

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Why? Doesn't this excite me?

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Gutekunst

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 07:42 PM
Eliot Wolf:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/eliot-wolf/554e5cf2-a949-4cb5-8d85-11e979ac48b3

Brian Gutekunst:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

red
01-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Here red:

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Brian%20Gutekunst

Like this:

Brian Gud i kinst

thanks woody

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 07:59 PM
thanks woody

Your very welcome red.

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 08:52 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/07/brian-gutekunst-gets-green-bay-packers-gm-job/1011265001/

Brian Gutekunst an ‘outstanding hire' as Packers' new GM

Ryan Wood, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin

" Gutekunst was chosen over fellow in-house candidates Russ Ball and Eliot Wolf, (Mark) Murphy also interviewed former Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley, ensuring the Packers would comply with the league’s Rooney Rule requiring one minority candidate be considered

A league source said Gutekunst, 44, was en route Sunday afternoon to Green Bay from Houston, where he was scheduled to interview for the Texans general manager vacancy.

Murphy made sure his top target didn’t get away, reaching agreement on a five-year contract, according to reports."

Please...Click on the LINK for a lot more and this story.

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 09:01 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/05/packers-gm-candidate-brian-gutekunst-part-ron-wolf-scouting-tree/1008791001/

10 things to know about new Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

Ryan Wood, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin Published 5:25 p.m. CT Jan. 5, 2018 | Updated 5:29 p.m. CT Jan. 7, 2018

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 09:04 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/07/packers-buzz-instant-reaction-brian-gutekunst-hire/1011402001/

Packers Buzz: Instant reaction to Brian Gutekunst hire

Nagler, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin Published 2:49 p.m. CT Jan. 7, 2018

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2018, 09:33 PM
I like it. The packers have had their personnel team raided the last several years. This might be our last strong, capable and ready guy in the wings. Now we have to keep it going. Thompson will still scout and advise. So that’s very helpful.

Do you really think this? If it was a planned transition, then sure. But if it wasn't, it sure sounds like he was given a token title and severance for a year.

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Yeah that element of it is unfortunate but statistically it has made a large difference in the hirings of African Americans.

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2018, 09:41 PM
This is about as good as it gets if you can't get John Schneider. I have no preference between Eliot Wolf and Gutekunst because I don't know anything about either of them. Overall I'm very happy. I would have been fine with De Costa or Paton too, but keeping that connection to the Harlan era makes me happy. Respect your roots.

woodbuck27
01-07-2018, 09:45 PM
https://newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEPl6GJCF7yH9-dDCyIbOEqAqFggEKg4IACoGCAowwMwTMPG_AjCRrgQ

Why the Packers promoted Brian Gutekunst to GM, in a 90-second read

The Packers promoted Brian Gutekunst to GM on the same day the Texans planned to interview him.

By Adam Stites on January 7, 2018 1:55 pm

Bretsky
01-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Gutekunst, 44, was hired by Ron Wolf as a scouting intern in 1997. Left for one year and returned as a college scout. Has been with the #Packers ever since. He is steeped in the Wolf way of running football operations. Not unlike Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie.

Why does everyone write as though 2000 was just yesterday? Gutekunst worked with Wolf for three years. With Ted for 13. Mike Sherman and Hatley for four.

Russ Ball worked with Schottenheimer and Loomis for 13 years but everyone treats him like he is Ted's son.

Brother...lol

pbmax
01-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Plenty of questions about what Eliot Wolf will do now that the Packers hired Brian Gutekunst as GM. Here’s the reaction from his Hall of Fame father, former Packers GM Ron Wolf: “At least he had the opportunity to interview for it,” Ron Wolf told ESPN.com. “Obviously the people up there don’t think he’s worthy or they would’ve hired him. End of discussion.”

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Salty as always.

pbmax
01-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Demovsky:

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Here’s how one highly placed source at Lambeau Field handicapped the Green Bay Packers' general manager race: “John Schneider would be a grand slam, but Brian Gutekunst would be a home run.”

Who is this source? The people in the best position to judge this were interviewed. Do scouts actually know who will be the best? I think scout worship has gone a step too far.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43291/packers-hit-home-run-with-brian-gutekunst-as-gm-but-questions-linger

Pugger
01-07-2018, 11:30 PM
No Gutes, No Glory.

I like this one. :lol:

pbmax
01-07-2018, 11:34 PM
Same article:

The internal reluctance to hire Ball was rooted in the idea that he would be a continuation of the Ted Thompson way, i.e., largely ignoring free agency and relying heavily on the draft. In fact, Ball has had a large role in the Packers’ roster-building efforts the past two seasons as Thompson, 64, aged and cut back his schedule. It's believed that Ball actually made the call on whether to re-sign free agents Julius Peppers and Micah Hyde last offseason.

The most Ted thing to do is to sign your own (that would have included Hyde and maybe Peppers) and ignore free agents.

So they did not sign their own and singed free agents.

But some boneheads in the org see Russ Ball's hands on the two least popular decisions last offseason and Demovsky doesn't mention 3 FA signings that happened while Ball supposedly had this larger role. But the fear of FA still makes it into the piece despite the logical inconsistency.

Does anyone else sense a concerted effort to undermine Ball here?

There has been a lot of public jockeying for this job going back a couple of years. We have had a few Eliot Wolf write ups and one about Gutekunst over a year ago. Ball got a profile at the beginning of this year and it contained no comments from the Packers or the Saints. Has all the media about this event been arranged by their agents?

It might have been that Ted's greatest achievement was to get them all to shut up and concentrate on football for 12/13 years. Favre's exit was the exception.

Joemailman
01-08-2018, 06:16 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43306/the-next-john-schneider-new-packers-gm-might-have-similar-approach

“Everyone says ‘Gutey’ is the next John Schneider,” a longtime NFL agent said Sunday night after news broke that Gutekunst would succeed Ted Thompson as the Packers' GM.

The Packers couldn’t get Schneider, the Seahawks' general manager out of Seattle, but perhaps they got the next-best thing.

“Gutey’s very approachable; I think that’s where I can see the biggest similarity with John,” said a high-ranking NFL personnel executive who has worked with Schneider and has known Gutekunst. “They’re both egoless and they’re approachable.

“Gutey hasn’t been out there selling himself. It’s always the Packers’ organization first.”

Because of that, the personnel executive believes Gutekunst will run his department in similar fashion to how Schneider operates in Seattle.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Anyone but Ted!

I scanned through five pages of posts, and this one made the most sense.

It woulda been all out stupid to give up a draft pick to get Schneider; If there's any truth to McCarthy and Rodgers campaigning against Ball, it woulda been dumb to choose him.

Gutekunst starts out fresh. I HOPE he departs significantly from Ted's way of doing things, specifically his steadfast refusal to go after top quality free agents. The only negative about the guy IMO is that, not having been a GM before, we have to take it on faith that he will change policy that way.

Hiring from within and hiring probably the least touted of the current people probably indicates a commitment to stay with McCarthy until he is ready to retire or if it became obvious to get rid of him. I'm ok with that - I'm not that fired up about McCarthy's way of doing things, but his hallmark is playing not to lose, which far more often than not, results in winning, even if the win is less spectacular than it might have been.

So let's get used to Gutekunst - he probably will be the Packers GM for the next 20 or so years.

woodbuck27
01-10-2018, 11:32 PM
http://www.12up.com/posts/5943989-brian-gutekunst-makes-first-signing-as-new-packers-gm?a_aid=36676

Brian Gutekunst Makes First Signing As New Packers GM

Nick Rodriguez ...10 JAN 2018

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 10:44 PM
http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Rock-Report-Competition-is-King/643bf866-c159-4097-84ad-95311df8760c

Rock Report: Competition is King

Competition is one of the cornerstones of the Brian Gutekunst philosophy. Analyst Larry McCarren has the details.

woodbuck27
01-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Mark Murphy and the Process of hiring Brian Gutekunst.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Murphy_details_intense_hiring_process_for_GM_Gutek unst/9e6ee4ec-3044-4c01-a7d3-2e70a69a7c64

Posted: Jan 8, 2018

Murphy details 'intense' hiring process for GM Gutekunst

Hear President/CEO Mark Murphy and newly appointed General Manager Brian Gutekunst discuss the Packers' new administrative structure, the GM hiring process, and Gutekunst's vision for the future of the Green Bay Packers.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2018, 09:56 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/27/former-gm-ted-thompson-energized-new-role-packers-talent-scout/1070372001/

It sounds like TT will be way more than just a figurehead. This quote is interesting and makes me think this was TT's idea largely to step away. I'll be totally honest: I 100% thought this was a golden parachute deal and TT would have ZERO role in the org after he was let go.

Over the next few months, Thompson is expected to play a significant role as the Packers evaluate prospects and finalize their board ahead of this year’s NFL draft. By shedding the burdens associated with managing the 53-man roster and overseeing the clerical side of an organization — the totality of which finally wore him out as he approached his 65th birthday — Thompson can immerse himself in the film room to concentrate on what he does best: identify talent.

Have we ever have confirmation that it was Murphy's idea for Ted to resign?

pbmax
01-28-2018, 08:31 AM
Murphy claimed during his press conference that it was a mutual decision. But that could mean almost anything.

I was going to argue to hire McCloughan as scout at large to do much of this, but maybe Ted takes that torch and runs with it.

Joemailman
01-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Murphy claimed during his press conference that it was a mutual decision. But that could mean almost anything.

I was going to argue to hire McCloughan as scout at large to do much of this, but maybe Ted takes that torch and runs with it.

I think Murphy knew he couldn't hold back Wolf and Gutey forever. I think he was able to convince TT that by giving up the GM job he could spend his time on the part of the job he likes best - Scouting.

denverYooper
01-28-2018, 09:10 AM
I think Murphy knew he couldn't hold back Wolf and Gutey forever. I think he was able to convince TT that by giving up the GM job he could spend his time on the part of the job he likes best - Scouting.

I don't think there was any convincing going on. Ted was ready to step out of the limelight.

If anything, the move likely precipitated Wolf's exit from the front office.

Joemailman
01-28-2018, 09:17 AM
I don't think there was any convincing going on. Ted was ready to step out of the limelight.

If anything, the move likely precipitated Wolf's exit from the front office.

Oh I agree. But if he didn't make one of them GM this year, I think there was the risk of losing them both.

ThunderDan
01-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Oh I agree. But if he didn't make one of them GM this year, I think there was the risk of losing them both.

Amazing with TT, Dorsey, McKenzie, Schneider, Wolfe, Gute. That’s almost 20% of the leagues GMs from TT regime. Boy, he really must of sucked to have everyone taking his people he was grooming to run franchises.

Bretsky
01-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Amazing with TT, Dorsey, McKenzie, Schneider, Wolfe, Gute. That’s almost 20% of the leagues GMs from TT regime. Boy, he really must of sucked to have everyone taking his people he was grooming to run franchises.

Have you eliminated the Ron Wolf Tree ? Didn't most of those start under Wolf ?

ThunderDan
01-29-2018, 07:55 PM
Have you eliminated the Ron Wolf Tree ? Didn't most of those start under Wolf ?

Those flowed from TT. TT served under Wolf in the 90s. I haven’t eliminated the Wolf tree. Just making the comment that for as shitty as some people here thought TT was at GM the people working for him have been highly sought after.

Joemailman
01-29-2018, 08:16 PM
Dorsey actually started the year before Wolf came here. Wolf was hired by Sherman. I think the others were hired by Wolf and promoted by Thompson. Current top player personnel guys like Jon-Eric Sullivan and John Wojciechowski were brought here by Thompson.

Bretsky
01-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Dorsey actually started the year before Wolf came here. Wolf was hired by Sherman. I think the others were hired by Wolf and promoted by Thompson. Current top player personnel guys like Jon-Eric Sullivan and John Wojciechowski were brought here by Thompson.

kind of what I was hinting at. Ron brought in an outstanding staff for TT to surround himself with/promote. Maybe Sullivan and Wojo will b as well

Anti-Polar Bear
01-30-2018, 09:10 AM
Those flowed from TT. TT served under Wolf in the 90s. I haven’t eliminated the Wolf tree. Just making the comment that for as shitty as some people here thought TT was at GM the people working for him have been highly sought after.

Many of the suits you mentioned also served under Sherman. Some folks believe Sherman was a shitty GM, despite the fact the Sherman never missed the playoffs as GM.

And, none of the suits you mentioned subscribed to that lame draft and develop bullshit once they got their shots elsewhere. Speaks volumes about what they think about draft and develop.

bobblehead
01-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Many of the suits you mentioned also served under Sherman. Some folks believe Sherman was a shitty GM, despite the fact the Sherman never missed the playoffs as GM.

And, none of the suits you mentioned subscribed to that lame draft and develop bullshit once they got their shots elsewhere. Speaks volumes about what they think about draft and develop.

Sherman was a shitty GM. Plenty of evidence to support that statement. He wasn't a bad coach though. His only flaw was fluffing Favre's ego a bit to much.

pbmax
01-30-2018, 06:49 PM

Weren't they the same guys Sherman kicked out of the draft evaluation meetings?

pbmax
01-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Sherman was a shitty GM. Plenty of evidence to support that statement. He wasn't a bad coach though. His only flaw was fluffing Favre's ego way too much.

FIFY

gbgary
03-14-2019, 03:14 PM
reaction after today's presser: the more i see/hear gute...the more i like him. his lip-smacking/kissing thing is kind of distracting but not as much as mlf's eyebrows.