PDA

View Full Version : What a way to open: The Bears at Lambeau

Tarlam!
09-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Posted September 9, 2006

"Elegantly Borrowed from PackerNEWS.com (http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060909/PKR07/60908080/1989)"

Hello, everyone. This is my first crack at writing a newspaper column, and I hope you’ll find the topics engaging.

When you step back and take a look at all that’s happening this week with our season opener, it’s incredibly inspiring.

It’s my first game as a head coach, it’s against our biggest rival and it’s our first opportunity to re-establish the Lambeau advantage that has been such a big part of successful teams here.

We’ve been preparing for this since January, and I know our players will be ready.

It has really gone fast, and it seems like I just got hired. We’ve had so much to do in such a short period of time. But this is the week that everything you do from the end of last season until now is targeted for. It’s about getting off on the right foot.

Everyone remembers his important “first” games, so I’m sure this one will be etched in my memory.

I still remember my first game in the NFL, as an offensive assistant with Kansas City in 1993. We were playing the Tampa Bay Bucs down at the Big Sombrero, and there was all sorts of anticipation because Joe Montana had just come to Kansas City in a trade.

Montana threw two big-time touchdown passes and injured his wrist, but we won 27-3 and it was the start of a year when we went to the AFC championship game and just missed going to the Super Bowl.

Tampa Bay was no big rival of ours in K.C., like Chicago is here. That’s what creates even more anticipation for this first game.

It’s the best rivalry game in the NFL. The thing that makes rivalries special is the same intensity you have internally, you have externally.

Our players, and everyone in the organization, really look forward to playing the Chicago Bears. And when you step outside, you can crank it up even more.

When Chicago and Green Bay are together, that’s all people talk about.

I certainly got a taste of that intensity my one year here in 1999.

The first game was home, right after Walter Payton’s funeral, and it was about as even as you could get. We lost on a blocked field goal on the last play, 14-13.

We were going right down the field, and they couldn’t stop us. Brett and I talked about that game the other day because he wanted to go for the touchdown, but it was about a 25-yard field goal, a chip shot.

The rematch down there was just nuts. It was 33 degrees and raining sideways, one of the most miserable weather games I’d ever been to. You couldn’t get away from the rain because it was coming down sideways and would hit your face and just freeze.

I remember our trainer Pepper Burruss or somebody saying, “It’s 33 degrees. I wish it would go down one notch and snow.”

You kept waiting for it to turn to snow, and it didn’t the whole game. It was amazing.

We just ran the ball like mad with De’Mond Parker |(113 yards) and Basil Mitchell (47 yards). We got down 10-0 early, but Parker had two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and we pulled away (35-19).

We felt with that win, we got back to establishing our dominance of the Bears. Before the blocked field goal, Green Bay had won 10 straight against Chicago.

We want to get that and the Lambeau advantage back, and it starts on Sunday.

In Kansas City under Marty Schottenheimer, we had an incredible home record at Arrowhead. The stadium was loud, and nobody liked coming there.

When you go back to the mid-’90s, when they had their best teams here, home games meant seven or eight wins a year. People have told me that Mike Holmgren used to say they were going to go 8-0 at home and just had to split their road games to be 12-4. We’d love to get back to the point where we can look at things that way.

We can do it if everyone on the coaching staff, in the locker room, in the organization and sitting in the stands buys into it. It’s like anything you want to accomplish. You have to emphasize it and build the importance of it and feed off it. It’s a mind-set. It’s an attitude. You’re creating such a higher level of confidence when we’re at home.

What better time to create it than in the first game, and against the Bears.

Mike McCarthy is the coach of the Green Bay Packers. His column appears in Packers Preview each week.
[/url]

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Packers find inspiration in '05 Bears
By Dylan B. Tomlinson, Green Bay Press Gazette

If the Green Bay Packers are searching for a reason to be optimistic as they head into the 2006 season, they should look no further than last year's Chicago Bears.

Entering last season, the Bears were given virtually no chance to do anything. They had finished the 2004 season in last place with a 5-11 record. Their starting quarterback, Rex Grossman, broke his ankle during the preseason and running back Cedric Benson held out for almost all of training camp.

Any talk about division favorites revolved around the Packers, Vikings and Lions, with the Bears almost the unanimous pick to finish in the NFC North basement.

Then, the Bears won the division. Chicago had one of the NFL's best defenses, led by linebacker Brian Urlacher, and the Bears were able to stun everyone by emerging from the NFC North.

"So little was expected from the outside," Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "But we felt good about our football team coming in. We had high goals. That's how we looked at it."

The Packers enter this season in a similar situation.

Last season, they finished in last place with a 4-12 record. Brett Favre is coming off the worst season of his career. Four rookies are in the starting lineup, and the head coach will be making his debut on Sunday. The Packers are an overwhelming pick to finish last in the NFC North.

"If you look at what the Bears did last year, of course it gives us hope," Packers running back Ahman Green said. "Nobody thought they could do anything last year, but they made the playoffs. Nobody thinks we can do anything this year, but who knows? In this league, you can go from worst to first very quickly."

Last season, it happened three times. In addition to the Bears, the New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers finished in last place during the 2004 season before winning their divisions last season.

"Preseason predictions don't really mean a lot," Smith said. "No one really knows what that team will bring in that year."

The Bears are overwhelming favorites to win the division. The Packers are expected to finish last. But there hasn't been a game played.

"In the preseason, nobody knows nothing about anything," Packers receiver Donald Driver said. "I don't know how this team is going to do, so I know none of (the media) knows how this team is going to do."

Bears quarterback Rex Grossman said there can be certain advantages when almost everybody is predicting a team to finish in last.

"When you're the favorite, everyone is gunning to knock you down. I know that was the case for us when we beat them at Lambeau in 2004," Grossman said. "When you're the underdog, you can creep up behind people when people don't expect you to do much."

If ever there's a season in which the Packers might be able to sneak up on someone, this would be the year. Needless to say, nobody is making Super Bowl reservations.

But as the Packers get ready for the upcoming season, they see no reason why they shouldn't be vastly improved.

"I have to admit, I'm very optimistic about this season until something else happens, until (it reaches) a point where I say there's no need to be optimistic anymore," Favre said. "Do I think we'll struggle at times? Absolutely. My first year here, not knowing any differently, we went 9-7 and got on a six-game win streak and we weren't very good. We were well-coached, but we were not very good, and we somehow found a way to get it done. Do I think this team can do the same thing? Absolutely."

Because of parity, optimism is aplenty across the NFL. The teams who won division titles last season see no reason why they can't repeat, and the teams who finished last see no reason why they can't win titles.

"I'm not going to sit here and predict that we're going to win the division," Green said. "That would be stupid.

"But to sit here and say we have no chance to do anything this season because we struggled last year, how stupid would that be?"

Chubbyhubby
09-09-2006, 08:57 AM
:shock: The 2006-2007 season is only a day away now. The question packerfans ask themselves, "Are the Packers a better team this year from last?" That answer will be annonced starting tomrrow when the Pack plays DaBears at 3:15 CST. The above article talked about the Bears from last season, let me take moment to talk about the Bears in this Packer Forum.

One good thing we aren't going face Sunday when we play them is that Kyle Orton is not Starting QB for the Bears. If you forgot about him let me refresh your memory. He was a Rookie QB from Purdue who only led the team 10 wins last season.

What amazing me about him and I bring this up because I do live in IL and listen to sports radio alot NOBODY in the media have talked about him this year. I know with the signing of Brian Griese being named #2 QB behind this years #1 QB Rex "I can't seem not to get injured" Grossmann Kyle Orton got lost in the shuffle. Many people don't care about this, but it strikes me kind of odd that in a town like Chicago a big media circus that a Rookie QB that gives your 10 wins and a NFC North title is not going to get any press escapes me. I realized that Grossman started the last game last year. Was the plan all along was to play Orton until Grossmann got back. Funny thing was I was watching a MNF game on ESPN when the Bears played the annoncers made a reference about Orton being #3 on the depth chart and saying if I was him I'd be pissed.

Had to get that off my chest...

Thanks for listening...

]{ilr]3
09-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Excellent article! I like that way of thinking, this team needs to start off winning at home this year and next, get the advantage back, the road wins will follow and then it Championship times again!

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
This off the Chicago Bears official Websirte:

How did Bears beat Favre? in 2005.

Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of e-mail questions from fans every day on ChicagoBears.com.

Larry: What did the Bears do differently last season (2005) in their two wins over Green Bay to finally get the best of longtime nemesis Brett Favre?

Paul K.
Chicago

Paul:

Brett Favre still had some success, passing for 277 yards in Chicago and 317 yards in Green Bay in the two meetings last year.

But what the Bears did was generate consistent and intense pressure on him that disrupted his game and forced him to make costly mistakes.

In the forst game:

Charles Tillman and Mike Brown each delivered crushing blows on sacks that resulted in fumbles and Nathan Vasher returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown in a 19-7 win at Soldier Field.

In the second game:

The Bears then picked off four Favre passes in a 24-17 division-clinching win at Lambeau Field.

Unable to fend off the pass rush, Favre failed to throw a touchdown pass in either meeting last season after tossing at least one in each of his first 26 career games against the Bears.

So what took the Packers down last season, was an intense Bear pass rush on Favre, That didn't afford him his comfort zone.

5 picks in two games (one taken to the house for "6") and two QB sacks that resulted in Favre fumbles. . averages out to 3.5 TO's /game.

Score first game = 17 - 9 Bears and second game 24 - 17 Bears.

Aggregate score on the Season 41-26 and Brett Favre threw for a whopping 594 yards in the two games and we lost by just over two TD's (15 pts). . .

so the packers (Favre has to avoid TO's tomorrow and we'll have a solid chance of the "W".

He must exercise patience. We must be patient with "the RUN"and the short pass.

Little things give the game to us. The game plan must be about that.

Little things.

GO PACKERS ! Fan Faith !! :mrgreen: