PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers Offseason News, Non Draft, Non Big Ticket FA

pbmax
01-10-2018, 03:35 PM
That clear enough for ya?

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
New GM Brian Gutekunst is on the board: #Packers have signed RB Joel Bouagnon (6-2, 230), a first-year player from Northern Illinois. He previously spent time with the #Bears.

It fits a team in the mold of Ted that the first FA signed by the new regime looks likely to play fullback.

QBME
01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
That clear enough for ya?

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
New GM Brian Gutekunst is on the board: #Packers have signed RB Joel Bouagnon (6-2, 230), a first-year player from Northern Illinois. He previously spent time with the #Bears.

It fits a team in the mold of Ted that the first FA signed by the new regime looks likely to play fullback.

A strong statement. The new look Packers. We're going to get off the bus running!

Joemailman
01-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Possible return for Tramontana? (I don't think he would qualify as a big ticket FA)

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/10/could-packers-bring-back-veteran-cb-tramon-williams/

Hiring Mike Pettine as defensive coordinator has opened up an intriguing possibility for the Green Bay Packers.

Could they team bring back veteran cornerback Tramon Williams, who played for Pettine in Cleveland in 2015 and is now coming off a strong year in Arizona?

Williams will turn 35 in March, making him ancient in cornerback years. But his performance in Arizona this past season suggests he still has something left in the tank, and Pettine and the Packers could use a veteran cornerback with knowledge of the system. Williams signed a one-year deal in Arizona and will soon be a free agent.

pbmax
01-10-2018, 04:55 PM
I hesitate to point out that Tramontana was horrible in Pettine's years there.

Joemailman
01-10-2018, 05:00 PM

He was a Brown. Just going along with the program. He was pretty banged up his last years with the Packers. I wonder if he's healthier now. If they brought him back, it would be more for his knowledge of the offense than anything else.

King Friday
01-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Hell no to any 35 year old DB.

mraynrand
01-13-2018, 03:58 PM

It wasn't all his fault, but he is beyond finished. The question I don't recall the answer to is whether Poteet wanted Williams or whether Farmer brought him in on his own. It seemed to be both to fit their 'veteran heavy' approach. But nothing could save them from the Manzier/Gilbert draft debacle.

QBME
01-13-2018, 04:01 PM

With the possible exceptions of a Charles Woodson or a Darrel Green. I don't think Tramon qualifies.

BZnDallas
01-14-2018, 09:30 PM

Terrance Newman says hi from the NFCC game, even if he is a no 3. For the right price I'd sign Tramontana and have him help coach King and Randall.

That could hopefully allow more resources to bigger money FAs and draft picks. Maybe a big OLB FA and a speedy stud ILB for Pettine's new D?

pbmax
01-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Terrance Newman says hi from the NFCC game, even if he is a no 3. For the right price I'd sign Tramontana and have him help coach King and Randall.

That could hopefully allow more resources to bigger money FAs and draft picks. Maybe a big OLB FA and a speedy stud ILB for Pettine's new D?

I think *every* Packer writer who saw the Packers start safeties at slot corner or risk rookie or second year CBs there, was thinking of Newman when they all wrote this year that Ted needed veteran depth.

pbmax
01-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Quick, name how much cap room the Packers have after signing Adams and Linsley during the season. Its not $10 mil anymore.

pbmax
01-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Packers’ CB Damarious Randall is undergoing hand surgery today and will need six to eight weeks to recover, per a league source.

mraynrand
01-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Packers’ CB Damarious Randall is undergoing hand surgery today and will need six to eight weeks to recover, per a league source.

I heard his middle finger (right hand) was frozen in an upright position.

pbmax
01-16-2018, 08:09 AM
As OP, I am calling this article fair game because it discusses FA in the general sense, not current developments or signings.

And I begin by pointing out as the article does, that of the four remaining teams, each has used Free Agency successfully.

Sure, you might point out that no team refuses to use FA and ANY set of four playoff semi-finalists could qualify for that idiot description, but why let that get in the way of delivering yourself to the opinion that the lack of FA is why the Packers aren't again in the NFC Championship game. Sure, it did not stop them from being there 4 times in the last decade, but now is what is important.

You might also note that the article doesn't go into detail about FA misses and how much that costs these teams as they missed the playoffs (minus New England) for the last decade or so.

But cause and effect people.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/15/dougherty-packers-poised-free-agency-foray/1030814001/

denverYooper
01-16-2018, 09:01 AM
I watch the playoffs every year to the end to figure out what model the Packers need to follow for long-term success. The only consistent answer has been to have Bill Belichick.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-16-2018, 09:52 AM
I watch the playoffs every year to the end to figure out what model the Packers need to follow for long-term success. The only consistent answer has been to have Bill Belichick.

:tup:

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Hiring a capable DC is a good first step.

Zool
01-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Quick, name how much cap room the Packers have after signing Adams and Linsley during the season. Its not $10 mil anymore.

$3.5 mil

pbmax
01-16-2018, 08:31 PM
$3.5 mil

I am glad Jimmy Graham will sign such a team friendly contract.

Zool
01-16-2018, 08:34 PM
I am glad Jimmy Graham will sign such a team friendly contract.

Well he can’t sign with the Packers until after March 1 anyways. Only way to use up more cap now is to sign another Packer or trade picks for someone.

Joemailman
01-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Spotrac has Packers cap space at 5.9 million. It will be 21 million when the new league year starts if they sign no one between now abd then.

Zool
01-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Spotrac has Packers cap space at 5.9 million. It will be 21 million when the new league year starts if they sign no one between now abd then.

Doesn’t the first year of the signing bonus hit right away for both contracts?

Joemailman
01-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Doesn’t the first year of the signing bonus hit right away for both contracts?

Not for Adams. His signing bonus is prorated from 2018-2021.

Fritz
01-17-2018, 05:49 AM
5.9 million? That's all? Geez, Ted clearly left the team in miserable shape on his way out the door.

pbmax
01-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Don't like the 2018 number here as we haven't deducted for the inevitable: sign your own, draftees, UDFAs, etc.

I wanted to point out there is enough money left in most years to either sign a modest FA, or sign fewer FA and get a bigger name/contract.

Even $5.9 mil doesn't get that job done. You have to lose someone. Like trading up in the draft, gets you less bodies. The complaint was that last year there was too little experience in the Packers backups. They are either talking replacement level players rather than youth OR fewer signings.

The wishes of Packer fandom, this board and maybe BG during his press conference seem to be big ticket guys early. You will only get one of them and it will cost you mid level guys. Which means your depth with be young players OR literal bargain basement vets.

Packer writers wanted those rookies gone and vets signed so safeties aren't playing slot corner. I'd bet donuts they are all thinking about Terence Newman. But a good vet will be #3 and on the Packers he will be hurt. And those backups will be the less expensive variety (rooks or replacement level vets).

BZnDallas
01-17-2018, 10:26 AM
If I'm baby Groot, I approach Jordy and Cobb to ask for a contract restructure. I don't know the numbers on either contract so I'm spit balling here. If I can get them both to drop their cap figure then I probably cut Trevor and draft his replacement. Janis is an option to cut too, but I like his STs play more than Trevor's.

I also approach Aaron and tell him he can have however much money he wants on his upcoming contract. But I'd also remind him that I'm not Teddy Jr, and any amount less he takes will go to improve the team via FA. With an arrow in my quiver pointed at Jimmy Graham.

Aaron has talked about the similarities btwn he and Tom Brady in the past. Maybe he'd be willing to take less money like Tom did as well. Surely that's just day dreaming at its best. Haha

Sparkey
01-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Don't like the 2018 number here as we haven't deducted for the inevitable: sign your own, draftees, UDFAs, etc.

I wanted to point out there is enough money left in most years to either sign a modest FA, or sign fewer FA and get a bigger name/contract.

Even $5.9 mil doesn't get that job done. You have to lose someone. Like trading up in the draft, gets you less bodies. The complaint was that last year there was too little experience in the Packers backups. They are either talking replacement level players rather than youth OR fewer signings.

The wishes of Packer fandom, this board and maybe BG during his press conference seem to be big ticket guys early. You will only get one of them and it will cost you mid level guys. Which means your depth with be young players OR literal bargain basement vets.

Packer writers wanted those rookies gone and vets signed so safeties aren't playing slot corner. I'd bet donuts they are all thinking about Terence Newman. But a good vet will be #3 and on the Packers he will be hurt. And those backups will be the less expensive variety (rooks or replacement level vets).

2018 CAP SPACE AVAILABLE $21,192,978 (TOP51)

Biggest dead money hit on cap is Bennett @ 4.2million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Sparkey
01-17-2018, 10:53 AM
2018 CAP SPACE AVAILABLE $21,192,978 (TOP51)

Biggest dead money hit on cap is Bennett @ 4.2million

If they cut Nelson and Cobb, they then sit at a little or 40 million in space.

Zool
01-17-2018, 12:06 PM
If they cut Nelson and Cobb, they then sit at a little or 40 million in space.

That is a lot of money for the production.

QBME
01-17-2018, 05:18 PM
That is a lot of money for the production.

I get it, but these are AR guys. They understand where to be, where, and when.

RashanGary
01-17-2018, 08:01 PM
I’d cut Nelson

Joemailman
01-17-2018, 08:57 PM
I’d cut Nelson

Unless he's willing to take a substantial pay cut, I'm afraid I agree. Unless he had an unreported injury, he appears to have lost his speed. Nothing but a possession receiver at this point.

3irty1
01-17-2018, 09:29 PM
I'm not concerned with Jordy or Cobb's value for 2018. If you could see the world through Hundleyvision™ these men would appear as translucent shimmers. Like a Predator with cloaking device enabled. You need to reach a certain level to unlock some characters.

Bossman641
01-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Packers are spending somewhere around 36 mil next year for Adams/Nelson/Cobb. That is way too much for what they're providing.

run pMc
01-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Packers are spending somewhere around 36 mil next year for Adams/Nelson/Cobb. That is way too much for what they're providing.

I agree with this. Don't have any league-wide comparisons, but my gut tells me $20million for Cobb/Nelson's 2017 production was overpaying. I don't see their production increasing substantially next year.
If I'm the GM I try to re-do their contracts. Nelson is on the wrong side of 30, and both have taken a beating. The image of Cobb getting caught from behind by Nick Kwiatkowski (Bears LB) lingers as well.

pbmax
01-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Cobb is 27 and would be in New England before Schefter Tweeted the news. He’ll have offers and won’t take a cut.

Nelson you could do with short extension. He has fewer options at his age and price.

Joemailman
01-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Cobb is 27 and would be in New England before Schefter Tweeted the news. He’ll have offers and won’t take a cut.

Nelson you could do with short extension. He has fewer options at his age and price.

Agreed. Cobb definitely looked like he had something left late in the season. Jordy looked like 2011-12 Driver.

Joemailman
01-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Jake Ryan will make almost 2 million in 2018 due to Proven Performance Escalator. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/19/packers-lb-jake-ryan-will-earn-escalator-bonus-in-2018/

Teamcheez1
01-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Jake Ryan will make almost 2 million in 2018 due to Proven Performance Escalator. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/19/packers-lb-jake-ryan-will-earn-escalator-bonus-in-2018/

What a joke! You have to play 35% of the defensive snaps 2 of your first 3 years. It doesn't mean you had any performance when a Packers ILB plays 1 out of 3 snaps, it just means we had nobody else.

3irty1
01-19-2018, 11:46 AM
With the salary cap increasing as fast as it does we need recalibration all the time. Something around 8.5M/year is now the market value for a starting quality guy. Jordy and Cobb will have cap numbers near 12.5M.

They were a rip off last year but these guys don't work on commission. I'm skeptical we could get more bang for the buck in FA. A short extension could possibly make Jordy cheaper. Let Cobb be motivated by FA. Monty is now in a log jam at RB and will be playing more slot. An aging Jordy could would be elite in the slot.

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Gotta wonder how much Allen Robinson would cost. What if we cut Nelson and Cobb and brought in Robinson instead? I am not as high on Devante as some, so him at #2 would be solid.

Joemailman
01-19-2018, 11:52 AM
With the salary cap increasing as fast as it does we need recalibration all the time. Something around 8.5M/year is now the market value for a starting quality guy. Jordy and Cobb will have cap numbers near 12.5M.

They were a rip off last year but these guys don't work on commission. I'm skeptical we could get more bang for the buck in FA. A short extension could possibly make Jordy cheaper. Let Cobb be motivated by FA. Monty is now in a log jam at RB and will be playing more slot. An aging Jordy could would be elite in the slot.

The issue though is that the Packers only have 1 receiver (Adams) who can be effective outside. This needs to be addressed either through FA or in the early rounds of the draft.

Joemailman
01-19-2018, 12:01 PM
As things stand right now, the Packers will be paying more to their WR's in 2018 than any other team. And it's not even close. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/wide-receiver/

23.3% of their cap will be going to WR's. That is crazy for a team with an elite QB. It's nearly twice what Patriots will be paying.

3irty1
01-19-2018, 12:36 PM
As things stand right now, the Packers will be paying more to their WR's in 2018 than any other team. And it's not even close. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/wide-receiver/

23.3% of their cap will be going to WR's. That is crazy for a team with an elite QB. It's nearly twice what Patriots will be paying.

Now that the Packers have paid Adams, they're paying market value for everybody. But unless we expect Jordy and Cobb to produce below their cap number minus the penalty for cutting them, this is just the reality for 2018.

Its the story of our whole team... individually nobody seems like a ripoff; aggregated, you wonder why we're paying so much for the product on the field.

Joemailman
01-19-2018, 12:46 PM
Now that the Packers have paid Adams, they're paying market value for everybody. But unless we expect Jordy and Cobb to produce below their cap number minus the penalty for cutting them, this is just the reality for 2018.

Its the story of our whole team... individually nobody seems like a ripoff; aggregated, you wonder why we're paying so much for the product on the field.

Packers would save about 10 million by releasing Jordy. 10 million puts you in the top 15 highest paid WR's. I don't see Jordy returning to that status.

3irty1
01-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Packers would save about 10 million by releasing Jordy. 10 million puts you in the top 15 highest paid WR's. I don't see Jordy returning to that status.

This is completely discounting opportunity costs. First, the top 15 highest paid WRs is not the same as the best 15 WRs. Second 10M may buy a Keenan Allen level talent if that deal was an extension from 2016... but that's not the same as saying Keenan Allen could be bought in 2018 FA for 10M. He couldn't. I think if cut Jordy is likely to get 10M elsewhere. He's making close to market value. If we were to release him and go after someone better, this likely makes the highest paid unit in the league more highly paid.

texaspackerbacker
01-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Cobb seems to have hit his ceiling, and $12 million + is too much for him. Nelson costs about the same and played worse than Cobb, but there's a chance, albeit slim, that with more recovery time from his knee injury, he could regain some speed. I'd say good bye to Cobb, and I'd offer Nelson maybe half or slightly more what he's due to make with some incentives for very high performance - a take it or leave it offer.

I really think we have more than adequate replacements for both of them in house right now: Janis, Davis, Yancy, Clark. Give those guys a chance, and they will succeed. One of McCarthy's worst traits, though, is not using quality young players. Those times he has been forced to do so or departed from this usual policy, most of those players have done well.

Allen Robinson, to my recollection, was mostly a possession receiver and is coming off an ACL injury. I'd steer clear of him. We need speed guys to go with a possession guy like Adams.

pbmax
02-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Technically, this is draft news, but its old as dirt so in this thread it goes.

Lawrence Guy, Marshall Newhouse, Breno Giacomini, Jamon Meredith and Will Blackmon, we hardly knew ye.

Draft Busts That Weren't: http://packerstalk.com/2018/02/02/packers-football-friday-thompson-busts-that-werent/

pbmax
02-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Tailgate tour will be in two cities I can be in with short notice.

Send your questions about Antonio Freeman and Bubba Franks and we'll see what we can do. I am going to try to keep Murphy from getting back on the bus.

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/960626263382773762

mraynrand
02-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Tailgate tour will be in two cities I can be in with short notice.

Send your questions about Antonio Freeman and Bubba Franks and we'll see what we can do. I am going to try to keep Murphy from getting back on the bus.

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/960626263382773762

Just make sure to tell Monty that he isn't a running back because he doesn't have natural running back instincts and pad level. Tell him Packerrats says so. Then invite him to join the forum.

pbmax
02-06-2018, 07:32 PM
Aaron Nagler thinks Malcolm Butler is just what the Packers need at corner. I think he is an idiot.

Butler, a UDFA, has had two seasons (2015, 17) allowing better than 94 passer rating on throws to his man. He had one year under 80 (2016).

He is going to command dumb money from someone who cannot stop smiling over the 2015 Super Bowl INT. Packers should steer clear.

https://t.co/sxt8gJdTYj

pbmax
02-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Here he comes!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVZcbqTWAAMUVOU.jpg:large

woodbuck27
02-07-2018, 07:48 AM
Possible return for Tramontana? (I don't think he would qualify as a big ticket FA)

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/10/could-packers-bring-back-veteran-cb-tramon-williams/

Tramon Williams #25 DB ...Arizona Cardinals

Height: 6-0 Weight: 192 Age: 34

Born: 3/16/1983 Houma , LA ... College: Louisiana Tech ...Experience: 11th season

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/blogs/article-4/Tramon-Williams-Graded-As-A-Top-10-Cornerback/814f2f58-afaf-4999-b8a4-f8f2dfa4623a

Tramon Williams Graded As A Top-10 Cornerback

Posted Dec 28, 2017

http://www.nfl.com/player/tramonwilliams/2506789/careerstats

Tramon Williams Career Stats.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/tramon-williams-3761/

Tramon Williams Current Contract

woodbuck27
02-07-2018, 07:55 AM

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-Damarious-Randall-ranked-55th-best-outside-cornerback-in-NFL-by-Bleacher-Report-114416271

Damarious Randall ranked 55th best outside cornerback in NFL

Damarious Randall led the Packers with four interceptions in 2017.

Brian Jones - Jan 30, 2:05 PM 0

Comment woodbuck27:

See Post NO. 53 (immediately above) this thread:

If you can bring in CB Tramon Williams relatively cheap and set him on working with our DB's do you not try to do that?

Anti-Polar Bear
02-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Aaron Nagler thinks Malcolm Butler is just what the Packers need at corner. I think he is an idiot.

Butler, a UDFA, has had two seasons (2015, 17) allowing better than 94 passer rating on throws to his man. He had one year under 80 (2016).

He is going to command dumb money from someone who cannot stop smiling over the 2015 Super Bowl INT. Packers should steer clear.

Butler's a Super Bowl hero, but I, for one, am tired of seeing sloth corners in the Green and Gold.

Hyde. Rollins. Gunter.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing another Al Harris. Richard Sherman still on the trade block?

QBME
02-07-2018, 07:00 PM

Gotta go with this take. Something was seriously wrong when he got benched at the last moment while the Pat's secondary was being torched. Head case.

Joemailman
02-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
My understanding is the benching of #Patriots CB Malcolm Butler happened because of a perfect storm of issues: Sickness, a rough week of practice, and a minor rule violation believed to be related to curfew. A complicated matter.

Belichick has reportedly been tough on guys before for missing curfew. Pretty extreme though to stick with it through he whole Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
02-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

Posted for a basis and discussion.

https://lombardiave.com/2018/01/01/green-bay-packers-12-players-offseason/

Green Bay Packers: 12 players that need to go this offseason

By: Ralph Mancini1 month agoFollow @reverendralph

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
03-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Finally, some injury rankings. As expected, Packers are middle of pack for last 3 years after being trend setting from 2009-2013.

According to Mangameslost.com, the [2017] Packers ranked 17th with 237 games lost to injury. Man-Games Lost includes players who were put on injured reserve during training camp even if they weren’t going to make the team, so the numbers are a little inflated.

Using only players who were on the 53-man roster at some point during the season, a total of 36 missed a combined total of 183 games.

Given that Man-Games Lost uses the same criteria for every team, their rankings are probably about as accurate as anyone could calculate. The Packers’ No. 17 ranking is much better than a stretch from 2009-13 when they ranked 5th, 6th, 18th, 1st and 2nd in games lost due to injury.

From 2009-16, their combined totals ranked sixth highest for games lost.

Since McCarthy in 2014 changed the practice schedule so that Friday was a recovery day, the Packers have ranked 15th, 24th, 10th and 17th in most games lost due to injury, according to Man-Games Lost. Still, the Packers have not had a year like the Minnesota Vikings just did when they suffered so few injuries they finished 31st in games lost.

2014 also marked the full time hire of a sports science guy and a change in nutrition for camp at least.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/04/silverstein-packers-spread-blame-injuries/390009002/

pbmax
03-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Football Perspective @fbgchase
For elite wide receivers, the prime years are ages 26 to 31, with 27-to-29 being the three best seasons.

http://www.footballperspective.com/larry-fitzgerald-charlie-joiner-and-great-receivers-with-underwhelming-primes/

I am getting more and more convinced that both Cobb and Nelson stay, but that Nelson might get a trim down from this year's salary in exchange for another couple of years at a lower price.

pbmax
03-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Final cap number, current cap space (via Spotrac) and franchise and transition numbers.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/03/06/nfl-sets-2018-salary-cap-at-177-2-million/aujptoq/

Packers in 26th place for cap space. So enjoy your one free agent signing!

red
03-05-2018, 08:30 PM
Final cap number, current cap space (via Spotrac) and franchise and transition numbers.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/03/06/nfl-sets-2018-salary-cap-at-177-2-million/aujptoq/

well, theres over 30 million that could be easily freed up by dumping 3 guys who are greatly overpaid

i got a little bit of hope that with a-rod back that jordy can get back to being a decent #2 behind adams. cobb has not once come close to living up to his current contract, and clays career is damn near close to the end i think, not much left in that tank

pbmax
03-06-2018, 08:22 AM
well, theres over 30 million that could be easily freed up by dumping 3 guys who are greatly overpaid

i got a little bit of hope that with a-rod back that jordy can get back to being a decent #2 behind adams. cobb has not once come close to living up to his current contract, and clays career is damn near close to the end i think, not much left in that tank

They aren't letting Cobb go and would only seek to redo the deal, if that. No chance at $30 million. Matthews, overpaid or not, is the best player on defense if Perry isn't healthy.

My bet is only one of those deals gets redone and none of them are leaving this year. They will be bottom third in space depending on how Rodgers contract gets done.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-06-2018, 10:20 AM
They aren't letting Cobb go and would only seek to redo the deal, if that. No chance at $30 million. Matthews, overpaid or not, is the best player on defense if Perry isn't healthy.

My bet is only one of those deals gets redone and none of them are leaving this year. They will be bottom third in space depending on how Rodgers contract gets done.

Well damn, u r depressing... I've been holding out hope we would start to see some big time changes. Stir the pot, mix things up, etc. Make this team fun to watch again...

Fritz
03-06-2018, 11:06 AM

So after bashing Ted for wanting to hoard salary to carryover and never use, let us commence bashing Ted for so inconsiderately spending too much and thus handcuffing future teams.

pbmax
03-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Well damn, u r depressing... I've been holding out hope we would start to see some big time changes. Stir the pot, mix things up, etc. Make this team fun to watch again...

Some of the complaints about depth are just ignoring that starters cannot be replaced easily after wholesale injuries. Safety or corner.

But WR actually needs a young talent infusion.

Smidgeon
03-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Some of the complaints about depth are just ignoring that starters cannot be replaced easily after wholesale injuries. Safety or corner.

But WR actually needs a young talent infusion.

I was pushing for a top WR in the draft a couple of years back (early enough in the process that the public had little idea on how the first round was projected to fall). I can't find the post now, but Davante was the only young WR on the outside, and Jordy wasn't going to get younger. I remember reading an article several years ago (maybe Jordy's third season-ish) about how the outside WR that lines up on the line who can get a good release against press coverage is the WR that makes it all work (whichever receiver letter that is). Jordy was projected into that role (before he broke out). That article has stuck with me ever since. Davante might be a legit #1. But I'd like two guys who look like that with Rodgers at QB.

pbmax
03-06-2018, 06:13 PM
Packers rookie pool over $8 mil, about half of available cap.

red
03-06-2018, 08:26 PM

:bang:

texaspackerbacker
03-06-2018, 08:34 PM

That, of course, is only part of the story. Contracts get restructured; Most deals come in at way lower cap number than total face value divided by years. Other teams do a lot more with less. Ted didn't like doing that, and arguably quality of the team wasn't maximized because of it. I really hope Gutekunst sees things differently, but that remains to be seen.

pbmax
03-06-2018, 08:44 PM
That, of course, is only part of the story. Contracts get restructured; Most deals come in at way lower cap number than total face value divided by years. Other teams do a lot more with less. Ted didn't like doing that, and arguably quality of the team wasn't maximized because of it. I really hope Gutekunst sees things differently, but that remains to be seen.

Tank loves this line of thinking too, that the cap can just be avoided forever. But eventually it comes back to bite you. Just look at the mess of the Redskins or the Cowboys defense.

And the rookie pool is a weird deal. You have to come in at that number. But the rest of the rookie deal is based off increases from that first year. So it’s very structured and rookie deals do not tend to feature cap games like veteran deals do.

texaspackerbacker
03-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Tank loves this line of thinking too, that the cap can just be avoided forever. But eventually it comes back to bite you. Just look at the mess of the Redskins or the Cowboys defense.

And the rookie pool is a weird deal. You have to come in at that number. But the rest of the rookie deal is based off increases from that first year. So it’s very structured and rookie deals do not tend to feature cap games like veteran deals do.

True on rookies, but the games definitely can be played on veterans' contracts. The nice thing about the NFL - compared to MLB for example - is that most of most contracts is not guaranteed. Cap hell hardly ever happens. The cap increases by such a healthy figure every year that things should be pushed to the limit in the years we still have Aaron Rodgers playing near his top level.

pbmax
03-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Here is a template for the offseason. Covers all the steps and has some numbers.

Problem is, his numbers are non-sense. As of today, the Packers do not have $22 million in cap space and the rookie pool is $8 mil and not $5 mil. And after renegotiations and Rodgers signing an extension (his number, 5 years, $150 mil), if the Packers have $22 million in cap space I will eat my hat.

So follow the template, use better numbers. He published on the 6th, maybe the draft pool numbers were published after his deadline.

http://packerstalk.com/2018/03/06/2018-packers-offseason-simulation-v-4-0/

Salary Cap

Estimated salary cap – $178,000,000

Player Salaries – $152,486,983

Dead Money – $4,718,533

Estimated Carryover – $6,400,000

Draft Pick Reserve – $5,000,000

Remaining Cap Space – $22,194,484

Renegotiations
Randall Cobb – I believe a fair offer is 4 years/$6 million per
Jordy Nelson – I’d give Nelson 4 years/$8 million per
Aaron Rodgers 5 years/$150 million with half of that guaranteed

Remaining Cap Space – $22,955,984

Cuts
TE Lance Kendricks – Cap Savings: $1,625,000.
No cut Matthews
No cut Bulaga
No cut Dix.

Remaining Cap Space – $24,580,984

Re-Signing
S Morgan Burnett – 3 years, $8 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $18,980,984

Free Agency
CB Kyle Fuller – 4 years, $7 million/year
DE Muhammad Wilkerson – 4 years, $7 million/year
QB TJ Yates – 2 years, $1.3 million/year.
TE Crockett Gilmore – 3 years, $2 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $6,640,984

Draft

pbmax
03-07-2018, 09:31 AM

Salary Cap

2018 salary cap – $177,200,000

Player Salaries – $160,602,634 (52 players under contract, not the Top 51 number)

Dead Money – $4,718,533

2017 Carryover – $3,934,000

Draft Pick Reserve – $8,761,000

Remaining Cap Space – $7,051,833

Renegotiations

Remaining Cap Space – $

Cuts

Remaining Cap Space – $

Re-Signing

Remaining Cap Space – $

Free Agency

Remaining Cap Space – $

Draft

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Here is a template for the offseason. Covers all the steps and has some numbers.

Problem is, his numbers are non-sense. As of today, the Packers do not have $22 million in cap space and the rookie pool is $8 mil and not $5 mil. And after renegotiations and Rodgers signing an extension (his number, 5 years, $150 mil), if the Packers have $22 million in cap space I will eat my hat.

So follow the template, use better numbers. He published on the 6th, maybe the draft pool numbers were published after his deadline.

Salary Cap

Estimated salary cap – $178,000,000

Player Salaries – $152,486,983

Dead Money – $4,718,533

Estimated Carryover – $6,400,000

Draft Pick Reserve – $5,000,000

Remaining Cap Space – $22,194,484

Renegotiations
Randall Cobb – I believe a fair offer is 4 years/$6 million per
Jordy Nelson – I’d give Nelson 4 years/$8 million per
Aaron Rodgers 5 years/$150 million with half of that guaranteed

Remaining Cap Space – $22,955,984

Cuts
TE Lance Kendricks – Cap Savings: $1,625,000.
No cut Matthews
No cut Bulaga
No cut Dix.

Remaining Cap Space – $24,580,984

Re-Signing
S Morgan Burnett – 3 years, $8 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $18,980,984

Free Agency
CB Kyle Fuller – 4 years, $7 million/year
DE Muhammad Wilkerson – 4 years, $7 million/year
QB TJ Yates – 2 years, $1.3 million/year.
TE Crockett Gilmore – 3 years, $2 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $6,640,984

Draft

QB TJ Yates: Why?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6603/tj-yates

Crockett Gillmore wants to change Positions from the TE Position to Tackle,

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9625/crockett-gillmore

" He has missed 31 games to injury over the last three seasons.

Gillmore has been a rock-solid blocking tight end in the NFL. " Feb 21 - 12:04 PM

pbmax
03-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Rams are trading LB Alec Ogletree to the #Giants for 2 draft picks, source said. He was offered to the #Chiefs, too, but they declined. @AdamSchefter on it first.

Why hasn't Gutey traded anyone yet?

#FireGutey!

pbmax
03-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Dead serious, need someone to check my cap math there.

Everyone is reporting Packers at $19.6 mil. That does not include rookie pool ($8.7 mil). If it did it would be 10.9 million of room.

But I don't get the discrepancy between the public number 19.6-8.7=10.9 and the number I get when I add up all the particulars (7.0).

People cannot be quoting salary cap numbers without counting dead cap space can they?

red
03-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Dead serious, need someone to check my cap math there.

Everyone is reporting Packers at $19.6 mil. That does not include rookie pool ($8.7 mil). If it did it would be 10.9 million of room.

But I don't get the discrepancy between the public number 19.6-8.7=10.9 and the number I get when I add up all the particulars (7.0).

People cannot be quoting salary cap numbers without counting dead cap space can they?

every fucking year

8.7 million for rookies does not mean the rookies will take up 8.7 million in cap space

i don't feel like doing my own thing again for the god knows how many-th years in a row

just read this

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-nfls-rookie-salary-cap/

in short. rookies take the place of other guys on the 53 man roster. 3rd round picks and later basicaly don't add to the cap because they make the minimum and are replacing guys who also made the minimum.

2nd round picks make about a half million a year more then minimum. which leaves just the first round pick that actually adds anything to the cap.

for the packers last year since they traded out of the first. king got about 300,000 more then the minimum, and adams got just over the minimum. so last year the rookie class took up between 500,000 and a million of our cap space

red
03-07-2018, 06:05 PM
after we sign our rookies we will have about 1-2 million less in cap space, NOT 8.7 million less

last year the #14 pick had a cap number of just over 1 million his first year

#14 in the second round had a cap number of 727,000

minus out the minimum wage guys they replace and thats a cap hit of about 750,000.

the other rounds cancel out

pbmax
03-07-2018, 08:01 PM
after we sign our rookies we will have about 1-2 million less in cap space, NOT 8.7 million less

last year the #14 pick had a cap number of just over 1 million his first year

#14 in the second round had a cap number of 727,000

minus out the minimum wage guys they replace and thats a cap hit of about 750,000.

the other rounds cancel out

OK, so he worked out actual cap space that had to be cleared for the 2015 rookies by team and it floats around one third to one half of the actual allowed rookie cap space, but can vary quite a bit team to team. Packers in that year had an allocation of 5.3 mil for 9 players and had to clear 1.8 mil. Bears and Jets were over half.

So I will adjust the offseason template to knock down the cap space by only 1/3 of the rookie allocation.

pbmax
03-07-2018, 08:09 PM

Salary Cap

2018 salary cap – $177,200,000

Player Salaries – $160,602,634 (52 players under contract, not the Top 51 number)

Dead Money – $4,718,533

2017 Carryover – $3,934,000

Draft Pick Reserve – $8,761,000 (because Packers have 52 players, some rookies will replace vets and the cap space will wash out, not accrue higher so we are using 1/3 of the reserve to calculate the cap space after the draft picks.

Remaining Cap Space – $12,892,500

Renegotiations

Remaining Cap Space – $

Cuts

Remaining Cap Space – $

Re-Signing

Remaining Cap Space – $

Free Agency

Remaining Cap Space – $

Draft

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 02:53 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Rams are trading LB Alec Ogletree to the #Giants for 2 draft picks, source said. He was offered to the #Chiefs, too, but they declined. @AdamSchefter on it first.

Why hasn't Gutey traded anyone yet?

#FireGutey!

What's on the Roster to trade except Aaron Rodger if that was even possible.

How much trade value is in CM III? Randall Cobb?

The Green Bay Packers are frankly in Re-build Mode or like a fat Guy at the Pool that never gets in the water.

woodbuck27
03-08-2018, 04:03 AM
https://lombardiave.com/2018/03/06/packers-free-agency-5-must-resign/

Packers free agency: 5 players Green Bay must re-sign

by Josh Gerhardt1 day ago

1. Morgan Burnett, S

" ..This one is a no-brainier. Burnett is one of the longest-serving Packers still on the roster. He is the leader on defense (he calls the defensive plays on the field). ..."

Please click on the LINK for the rest of this story.

red
03-08-2018, 07:39 AM
https://lombardiave.com/2018/03/06/packers-free-agency-5-must-resign/

Packers free agency: 5 players Green Bay must re-sign

by Josh Gerhardt1 day ago

1. Morgan Burnett, S

" ..This one is a no-brainier. Burnett is one of the longest-serving Packers still on the roster. He is the leader on defense (he calls the defensive plays on the field). ..."

Please click on the LINK for the rest of this story.

and the defense almost always looked confused

we have a second round pick, who looked decent last year, just sitting there

the new DC has spent his time so far in GB watching tapes and trying to figure out what was wrong with the D. i think the fact that burnet has been signed yet is very telling

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 02:40 PM
and the defense almost always looked confused

we have a second round pick, who looked decent last year, just sitting there

the new DC has spent his time so far in GB watching tapes and trying to figure out what was wrong with the D. i think the fact that burnet has been signed yet is very telling

If I was Pettine I would simply design my defensive secondary schemes and ask the Brass to get me some talent. Last week that Talent Pool was weak. This week we know it's weaker with CB Damarious Randall wondering what accommodations will be like in Cleveland.

Transaltion: Green Bay needs Defensive Backs.

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 03:07 PM
https://www.sportsaldente.com/the-top-defensive-backs-in-the-nfl-draft/

Best Defensive Backs In The NFL Draft

David Hegler ... March 3, 2018

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick – Alabama, Defensive Back

2. Derwin James – Florida State, Defensive Back

3. Denzel Ward– Ohio State, Cornerback/Nickel back

4. Joshua Jackson – Iowa, Cornerback

Comment woodbuck27:

Looking at Mocks we might expect about 6 QB's to go off the board in Round One; and as well, the same number of Defensive Backs (6) to be selected in the First Round.

Please click on the LINK for the whole story.

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 03:30 PM
https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Cornerbacks-2018-Draft.asp

2018 DRAFTTEK BIG BOARD - Ranked by Position

2018 Cornerbacks

Most Recent Revision: 3/12/2018

woodbuck27
03-12-2018, 03:52 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/3/12/17109248/2018-nfl-free-agency-primer-important-dates-details-and-list-of-fa-packers

PACKERS FREE AGENCY 2018

2018 NFL Free Agency Primer: Important dates, details, and list of FA Packers

Get ready for a frenzy over the next few days with all the details about free agency in the 2018 season.

By: Evan "Tex" Western@TexWestern Mar 12, 2018, 9:00 am CDT

Teamcheez1
03-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Marshall Newhouse released by the Raiders. We can now downgrade the RT position by releasing Bulaga and resigning Newhouse.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 07:47 AM
Marshall Newhouse released by the Raiders. We can now downgrade the RT position by releasing Bulaga and resigning Newhouse.

Not a bad backup to have though. Played some Guard.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 07:54 AM
Davante Adams: 4 years, $58.9M, $30M guaranteed

Sammy Watkins: 3 years, $48M, $30M guaranteed (KC)

Allen Robinson: 3 years, $42M, $25M guaranteed (Bears)

THANKS TED AND RUSS!

#FreeAgencyStinks

pbmax
03-13-2018, 07:55 AM
Schefter says Keenum to Broncos. So backup plan B for Vikings is gone.

Need Cousins or its back to the future for them (Bridgewater/Bradford).

Rastak
03-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Schefter says Keenum to Broncos. So backup plan B for Vikings is gone.

Need Cousins or its back to the future for them (Bridgewater/Bradford).

I'd be more than happy with Bradford if it weren't for that pesky knee. Everything I've heard is positive on Bridgewater but really not sure what his ceiling is to be honest. Does seem like Cousins or bust.

Zool
03-13-2018, 08:07 AM
I'd be more than happy with Bradford if it weren't for that pesky knee. Everything I've heard is positive on Bridgewater but really not sure what his ceiling is to be honest. Does seem like Cousins or bust.

Or maybe McCarron?

pbmax
03-13-2018, 08:08 AM
@AdamSchefter
Trade compensation update on Cordy Glenn deal, as @PSchrags said.
Bengals get OT Cordy Glenn and Bills first-round pick (No. 21).
Bills get Bengals’ No. 12 overall selection.
Bengals also get Bills’ fifth-round pick and Bills get Bengals’ sixth-round pick.

So Bills have 3 picks in first round. They have to be trading up for a QB, right? Good news for Packers.

Rastak
03-13-2018, 08:09 AM
Or maybe McCarron?

It's always an option although one I'd prefer not be used.

Rastak
03-13-2018, 08:10 AM
@AdamSchefter
Bengals also get Bills’ fifth-round pick and Bills get Bengals’ sixth-round pick.

So Bills have 3 picks in first round. They have to be trading up for a QB, right? Good news for Packers.

They have to be. Absolutely have to be.

Cheesehead Craig
03-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Some QB just blew them away at the combine apparently. Haven't seen someone move that fast towards someone else since Fritz and Drew Barrymore.

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 08:21 AM
@AdamSchefter

How do Bills have 3 1st round picks? They had 21 and 22. They now have 12 and 22.

I agree they're going for a QB.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 08:24 AM
How do Bills have 3 1st round picks? They had 21 and 22. They now have 12 and 22.

I agree they're going for a QB.

You are correct. I somehow imagined their pick as a 2019 pick. That is a lot of player to give up for 9 slots in the draft.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky

Confirmed ERFA tenders so far:
Justin McCray
Michael Clark
Donatello Brown

Rastak
03-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
49s50 seconds ago
More
The Packers have tendered QB Joe Callahan as an exclusive rights free agent. So when the new league year opens tomorrow, they'll have four QBs: Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley, DeShone Kizer and Joe Callahan. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0765237065896956636-4 …

Smidgeon
03-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
49s50 seconds ago
More
The Packers have tendered QB Joe Callahan as an exclusive rights free agent. So when the new league year opens tomorrow, they'll have four QBs: Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley, DeShone Kizer and Joe Callahan. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0765237065896956636-4 …

Enough for four camp arms.

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

@RobDemovsky
49s50 seconds ago
More

Really does anyone see a REAL Backup QB there.

The NFL is changing all the time and the Backup QB position may have overtaken the LT position in terms of Roster importance.

pbmax
03-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Blake Martinez led the league in tackles and led the Packers in performance-based bonus money. He picks up an extra $384,389.

I'll bet all those tackles were 6 yards past the LOS and drag downs too.

pbmax
03-14-2018, 10:24 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/14/morgan-burnetts-price-could-too-steep-packers/423804002/

With free agency set to begin at 3 p.m. Wednesday, league sources said the Packers could be priced out of retaining unrestricted free-agent safety Morgan Burnett. The Packers had exploratory conversations with Burnett’s representation two weeks ago at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, sources said. At the time, one source said, Burnett’s asking price averaged more than $8.5 million annually.

That would be a significant raise from the four-year, $24.75 million extension Burnett signed in 2013, though also emblematic of the NFL’s rapidly rising salary

One source doubted Burnett would get his asking price on the open market, saying the overall poor showing last season from the Packers’ defense could limit his earning potential. If his price drops, the Packers could be in the mix. With Ha Ha Clinton-Dix’s struggles last season, a source suggested the Packers would be hesitant to lose their most experienced safety.

I think he gets it, or at least gets close to it.

Rutnstrut
03-14-2018, 10:44 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/14/morgan-burnetts-price-could-too-steep-packers/423804002/

I think he gets it, or at least gets close to it.

He will get it from someone else. While he is not great, he will be one more puzzle piece that they won't quite replace.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 11:31 AM

The NFL is changing all the time and the Backup QB position may have overtaken the LT position in terms of Roster importance.

+1

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 11:59 AM

This is an interesting insight. I think there's a lot of merit to it, but rising to the level of starting LT goes too far. Look at Minnesota - they had three backup QBs on their roster, and all pretty much got starting jobs. They could only afford Cousins and will have to scoop up some schlub to be their backup. Not everyone will fare as well as Philly in the backups they can afford.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:04 PM
....and the defense almost always looked confused

Just rewatched part of Carolina game and once Randall sprints back on the field, doesn't know where to line up and TO called. Another time, same thing and then he gives up 20+ yard gainer because he lets McCaffrey run free underneath. Randall may have single-handedly disrupted the defense due to pure idiocy. That, coupled with his terrible attitude is a very good reason to get rid of him. Addition by subtraction.

pbmax
03-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Just rewatched part of Carolina game and once Randall sprints back on the field, doesn't know where to line up and TO called. Another time, same thing and then he gives up 20+ yard gainer because he lets McCaffrey run free underneath. Randall may have single-handedly disrupted the defense due to pure idiocy. That, coupled with his terrible attitude is a very good reason to get rid of him. Addition by subtraction.

It wasn't all Randall. They were explaining weekly why Jones wasn't where he was supposed to be and the safeties were always arguing with underneath or wide defenders.

wist isn't wrong in placing some blame on the coaching staff (he might be scattershot in blaming ILBs, soft n' small, 2-4 and Packer draft history) but something never gelled for them after 2010 when the pass defense fell apart during 2011.

Its probably too superficial to blame everything that subsequently happened to Capers D on that year of transition (though I do think with a year and an offseason to tinker, offenses figured out how to attack the new base nickel). But its worth remembering this is when McCarthy began to insist nickel be the new normal and the defense needed to be ready to play "personnel packages" against offenses of the day.

I never got the sense that Capers found a way to make it work seamlessly especially in the back end. Its very weird because I think he was a DB coach. Somehow the blitzes seemed coordinated but the coverage did not. And toward the end they were throwing everything they could at it. The old Pittsburgh teams didn't play any Cover 0.

The whole thing needed a reset and I hope M3 stays out of it. My remaining concern is Whitt. He might be the genius developer of man coverage CBs, but man those guys contributed to a lot of boneheaded mistakes.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:42 PM
^^^ All good points. I remember Capers rolling his eyes when my buddy asked him about Stubby giving input in his coaching meetings. Capers needed to go, but so did Randall. Probably will be just as good for Randall, but only if Cleveland improves.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Comment woodbuck27:Is S Morgan Burnett asking for too much money as a Packer?

I'm betting he gets what he desires in Green Bay or elsewhere. Will the Packers essentially start fresh at DB?

Randall was cast away in a sensible Trade IMO; but allowing Morgan Burnett to walk doesn't seem sensible to me.

" The Packers had exploratory conversations with Burnett’s representation two weeks ago at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, sources said. At the time, one source said, Burnett’s asking price averaged more than $8.5 million annually.

That would be a significant raise from the four-year, $24.75 million extension Burnett signed in 2013, though also emblematic of the NFL’s rapidly rising salary cap."

pbmax
03-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Small hiccup in the Herb Waters will start at CB for the Packers next year plan.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
#Packers did not make tender offer to CB Herb Waters, who was on IR last season. Had some promise before hurting shoulder. LS Taybor Pepper, P Jacob Schum and LB Joe Thomas also not tendered. All are free agent

pbmax
03-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Packers talked about a possible extension with Randall Cobb, but his contract remains as it is for now. Instead, it’s Jordy Nelson on the way out.

Ian Rapoport must have talked about this on TV because the only evidence of the numbers I can find is someone else's Tweet about the report. @RapSheet did Retweet it though.

Jason B. Hirschhorn @by_JBH
The Packers' deal for Jimmy Graham pays $30 million over three years, according to @RapSheet. Graham will earn $22 million of that amount over the first two years of the deal.
11:25 PM - 13 Mar 2018

denverYooper
03-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
40m40 minutes ago

Packers and Raiders have expressed interest in signing free-agent CB Rashaan Melvin.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
40m40 minutes ago

Packers and Raiders have expressed interest in signing free-agent CB Rashaan Melvin.

I like this interest:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2018/2018/3/14/17121590/packers-free-agency-rumors-cb-rashaan-melvin-is-a-target-for-green-bay

" ... In his two years in Indianapolis, Melvin has played in 25 games, starting 19 of them. His 2017 season featured three interceptions and 13 pass breakups in ten games (all starts); according to Pro Football Focus, he allowed just two touchdowns last season and a passer rating of just 60.3 into his coverage, which ranked 12th in the entire NFL.

Time will tell whether the Packers end up signing Melvin, but it is at least encouraging to finally see the team showing interest in a player at his position. ..."

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 05:31 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/3/14/17120818/packers-free-agency-green-bay-finalizes-rfa-erfa-tenders-joe-thomas-geronimo-allison-justin-mccray

PACKERS ROSTER TRANSACTIONS

PACKERS FREE AGENCY 2018

Packers Free Agency: Green Bay finalizes RFA & ERFA tenders

".. The Packers are bringing back several of their players who are light on experience, but that group does not include either of the team’s restricted free agents. ..."

By Evan "Tex" Western@TexWestern Mar 14, 2018, 3:33 PM CDT

"According to an NFL ...two of the Packers’ exclusive-rights free agents have not received their minimum salary tenders, and are therefore free agents.

Those players are long snapper Taybor Pepper and cornerback Herb Waters.

pbmax
03-14-2018, 05:36 PM
#Packers DT Quinton Dials receiving interest right off the bat. Will visit the #Lions and #Seahawks. Was a good fit in the locker room and on the field after being picked up from #49ers.

Would be sad to see him go. Whale of a backup and very sturdy. He played well last season and was significant part of the line having a great year. Not much pass rush though.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 05:40 PM
#Packers DT Quinton Dials receiving interest right off the bat. Will visit the #Lions and #Seahawks. Was a good fit in the locker room and on the field after being picked up from #49ers.

Would be sad to see him go. Whale of a backup and very sturdy. He played well last season and was significant part of the line having a great year. Not much pass rush though.

Get one lose one.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Mt. Adams better come through

ThunderDan
03-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Interesting fact I read today from James Palmer:

492 players changed teams last year via free agency. 9 of them made the Pro Bowl.

pbmax
03-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Interesting fact I read today from James Palmer:

492 players changed teams last year via free agency. 9 of them made the Pro Bowl.

This is part of the reason (the main part) that I like the Wilkerson singing more than Graham.

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 12:00 PM
This is part of the reason (the main part) that I like the Wilkerson singing more than Graham.

I'm sure Graham's third team will know how to work with him. :)

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 07:58 AM
Here's a RECAP of all that has happened so far to today at 8:56 EST Friday 16 March, 2018 and this Off Season and into the beginning of the New NFL Calendar Year and Free Agency:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/tracking-the-packers-major-roster-moves-ahead-of-the-season/collection_e388ab19-a38e-55d4-9e13-11f4895bf046.html#15

Tracking the Packers' major roster moves ahead of the 2018 season

BY: Nick Heynen | Wisconsin State Journal 4 hrs ago

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 03:51 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2018-best-players-available-remaining-left-market/1naw37bi9t1211jjsyg1qm4afu

NFL free agency: Players available at each position

Tadd Haislop @TaddHaislop

Friday March 16, 2018 ... Updated at 12:13 p.m. ET

See DE's, OLB'a and ILB's.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 03:55 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/transactions/nfl/all/today/

Transactions for Friday, March 16, 2018

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 05:05 PM

Total CAP (All) $96,360,061; Total (w/Top 51) $93,480,061

Cap Space (w/All) $18,533,697

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $12,046,612

Cap Space (w/Top 51) - $21,413,697

GREEN BAY PACKERS CAP TOTALS

Adjusted Salary Cap - $181,134,518

Active Contracts: - $154,578,088

Dead Cap: - $8,022,733 ; Draft Pool Cap: - $9,367,085 ; 2017 Rollover: - $3,934,518

Total (All): - $162,600,821 - Total (Top 51): $159,720,821

Est. Cap Space (All): $18,533,697 Est. Cap Space (Top 51): $21,413,697

CALCULATED MARKET VALUES

Morgan Burnett ($9.8M)

Davon House - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/davon-house-7850/

Richard Rodgers - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/richard-rodgers-14509/

GREEN BAY PACKERS 2018 DRAFT PICKS- Total = 12

R1, #14:; R2, #45: ; R3, #76: ; R4, #101 or 4 Picks in the TOP 101 Prospects.

R4, #133:

R5, #138:; R5, #172:; R5, #174:

R6, #186:; R6, #207:

R7, #232:; R7, #239:

TRANSACTIONS

** MAR 15 2018 Jordy Nelson Signed a 2 year $15 million contract with Oakland (OAK) MAR 14 2018. Jordy Nelson
Released by Green Bay (GB), clearing $10.2M in cap» VIEW MORE NEWS

Geronimo Allison Signed a contract with Green Bay (GB) MAR 13 2018

** Jimmy Graham Signed a 3 year $30 million contract with Green Bay (GB) MAR 13 2018

Muhammad Wilkerson Signed a 1 year $5 million contract with Green Bay (GB) MAR 13 2018

pbmax
03-24-2018, 03:48 PM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/03/24/silverstein-aaron-rodgers-impending-extension-handcuffs-packers-free-agency/453162002/

The premise of this article is flawed, not entirely squirrely, but off target by a good six feet or so.

If the Packers were caught off guard by Cousins guarantees, why did they sign Fuller to an offer sheet? Cousins signed on the 15th of March (quick, why that date is famous).

Fuller offer sheet was signed on March 16th.

Now, there is no doubt that Rodgers pending deal kept them from making the Fuller offer unpalatable in year 1. But that didn't change after Cousins signed his deal.

pbmax
03-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves ...

Per @MikeTriplett: Free agent cornerback Delvin Breaux said he has visits planned with the Packers and 49ers

https://t.co/DszK9OZOmY

Packer Report @PackerReport
Broken leg each of past two years. Got his start in Canada and elsewhere.

Elsewhere?

Louisiana Bayou Vipers (2012)
Gridiron Developmental Football League (GDFL) in 2012 and was named an All-Star

New Orleans VooDoo (2013)
Arena Football League (AFL)

QBME
03-24-2018, 04:08 PM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/03/24/silverstein-aaron-rodgers-impending-extension-handcuffs-packers-free-agency/453162002/

The premise of this article is flawed, not entirely squirrely, but off target by a good six feet or so.

If the Packers were caught off guard by Cousins guarantees, why did they sign Fuller to an offer sheet? Cousins signed on the 15th of March (quick, nah why that date is famous).

Now, there is no doubt that Rodgers pending deal kept them from making the Fuller offer unpalatable in year 1. But that didn't change after Cousins signed his deal.

Great Caesar’s Ghost!

hoosier
03-24-2018, 08:11 PM

If the Packers were caught off guard by Cousins guarantees, why did they sign Fuller to an offer sheet? Cousins signed on the 15th of March (quick, why that date is famous).

Et tu, Brute?

QBME
03-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Et tu, Brute?

Then fall Caesar.

woodbuck27
03-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Cap Space (w/All) $13,646,197

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $7,639,112

Cap Space (w/Top 51) $17,006,197

gbgary
03-27-2018, 11:40 AM
teams are passing the Packers like they're sitting still...which, as of now, they basically are. the team isn't any better. hole-plugging-only continues in free agency. graham for bennett, williams for randall, wilkerson for whoever they cut (which might end up being wilkerson himself), the Rodgers contract continues to limit moves and is about to get worse, and the Nelson/Burnett spots are unfilled (and at this point, once they are, will most likely be cheap lateral moves).

so far i give Gute a C-.

pbmax
03-27-2018, 03:40 PM
teams are passing the Packers like they're sitting still...which, as of now, they basically are. the team isn't any better. hole-plugging-only continues in free agency. graham for bennett, williams for randall, wilkerson for whoever they cut (which might end up being wilkerson himself), the Rodgers contract continues to limit moves and is about to get worse, and the Nelson/Burnett spots are unfilled (and at this point, once they are, will most likely be cheap lateral moves).

so far i give Gute a C-.

I think TonyO and someone put this in another thread. But if Wilkerson can rush the passer, then everything looks much better on Defense even if every other move was like for like.

On offense, if Graham is more Jordy than Bennett (hell, if he is just second half of season Cook) then the offense improves too.

gbgary
03-27-2018, 04:43 PM
I think TonyO and someone put this in another thread. But if Wilkerson can rush the passer, then everything looks much better on Defense even if every other move was like for like.

On offense, if Graham is more Jordy than Bennett (hell, if he is just second half of season Cook) then the offense improves too.

if graham is jordy than that's a wash. no improvement.

pbmax
03-27-2018, 04:47 PM
if graham is jordy than that's a wash. no improvement.

I am using 2016 Jordy (with Rodgers) and not 2017 Jordy as the basis for the comparison.

gbgary
03-27-2018, 04:49 PM
I am using 2016 Jordy (with Rodgers) and not 2017 Jordy as the basis for the comparison.

it doesn't matter what year jordy. if graham is jordy it's a wash. 2017 needs to be washed from everyone's minds. it didn't happen. lol

pbmax
03-27-2018, 05:01 PM
it doesn't matter what year jordy. if graham is jordy it's a wash. 2017 needs to be washed from everyone's minds. it didn't happen. lol

You can't do that. Jordy was declining. If you get 2016 Jordy production, Gutekunst has effectively improved the team through the change as it otherwise would have had ancient regime Jordy.

gbgary
03-27-2018, 05:06 PM
You can't do that. Jordy was declining. If you get 2016 Jordy production, Gutekunst has effectively improved the team through the change as it otherwise would have had ancient regime Jordy.

graham has had some meh years. look at his 2016 year with sea...6 tds. they're basically the same age.

denverYooper
04-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Richard Rodgers to the Iggles...

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet

#Packers free agent TE Richard Rodgers is signing a 1-year deal with the #Eagles, source said. He goes to a place that uses the TE as much as anyone to reboot his career. He hopes to recreate the success from 2015, when he had 8 TDs.

mraynrand
04-04-2018, 04:15 PM

Ian Rapoport

#Packers free agent TE Richard Rodgers is signing a 1-year deal with the #Eagles, source said. He goes to a place that uses the TE as much as anyone to reboot his career. He hopes to recreate the success from 2015, when he had 8 TDs.

Next year, when they hand out compensatory picks, the Packers will receive a pair of oven mitts.

pbmax
04-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Forget Janis, this is the guy who could see a bunch of targets. :D

Bretsky
04-04-2018, 05:54 PM

Ian Rapoport

BY BYE PLODDER !!!!!!!!!....AKA.....THANKSTED

Here's a song for PLODDER ON HIS WAY OUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLIgjB9gGw

Fritz
04-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Next year, when they hand out compensatory picks, the Packers will receive a pair of oven mitts.

They will receive a sack of potatoes to replace R Rodgers, who always, always, went down like a sack of potatoes falling off a wagon the second he got hit.

But he did make that one lovely catch in Detroit a couple of years ago. I won't forget that.

George Cumby
04-05-2018, 01:19 PM
I’d like a Toolbox to replace DickRod.

pbmax
04-05-2018, 04:02 PM
They will receive a sack of potatoes to replace R Rodgers, who always, always, went down like a sack of potatoes falling off a wagon the second he got hit.

But he did make that one lovely catch in Detroit a couple of years ago. I won't forget that.

He also had that out of this world TD versus Dallas when his older sibling threaded a laser through three hapless Cowboy defenders.

It was mainly the QB, but younger brother got himself open on the scramble drill in the back of the end zone and mind melded well from 30 yards out.

pbmax
04-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Damarious Randall was traded to atone for the sins of Blake Martinez.

https://twitter.com/michael_cohen13/status/983736353413320705?s=21

gbgary
04-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Damarious Randall was traded to atone for the sins of Blake Martinez.

https://twitter.com/michael_cohen13/status/983736353413320705?s=21

i don't see how petine telling people what he expects is "echoing" randall's claims. you'd expect a new boss to say things like that.

denverYooper
04-10-2018, 05:58 PM
i don't see how petine telling people what he expects is "echoing" randall's claims. you'd expect a new boss to say things like that.

Cohen is testing the limits of the word "seems".

Joemailman
04-10-2018, 06:17 PM
On his deathbed, Aaron Rodgers will receive total consciousness. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/10/the-internet-is-having-fun-with-aaron-rodgers-meeting-the-dalai-lama/https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/10/the-internet-is-having-fun-with-aaron-rodgers-meeting-the-dalai-lama/

pbmax
04-11-2018, 07:03 AM

Its Martinez who is doing the echoing that is the subject of the Tweet. Pettine might be speaking coach boilerplate. Ponch says he wanted to be sure they were all on the same page.

Its not definitive because it is a pretty typical thing to say. But it is two completely different players saying it. And both are young starters.

mraynrand
04-11-2018, 07:14 AM
Its Martinez who is doing the echoing that is the subject of the Tweet. Pettine might be speaking coach boilerplate. Ponch says he wanted to be sure they were all on the same page.

Its not definitive because it is a pretty typical thing to say. But it is two completely different players saying it. And both are young starters.

I don't know what all this means, but one thing I do know is that it's far worse when players tell you they want to be on different pages.

pbmax
04-11-2018, 08:45 AM
I don't know what all this means, but one thing I do know is that it's far worse when players tell you they want to be on different pages.

Agree. But its been status quo for the Packers D to say they want to be on same page and then not be for close to a decade. Though I thought this had been better until the recent rookies got big playing time.

And frankly its my only worry about Whitt getting the overall DB job. Did a guy who created or could not solve the communication problem just get Peter Principled into a job where he can make it worse?

pbmax
04-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Holy Bill Walton:

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
#Packers LB @VinceBiegel confirms that he had surgery on BOTH feet last May after the rookie orientation camp. When he met the players he'd idolized as a Packers fan growing up (including @ClayMatthews52) he did so in a wheelchair. He's excited to be having a healthy offseason.

mraynrand
04-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Holy Bill Walton:

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
#Packers LB @VinceBiegel confirms that he had surgery on BOTH feet last May after the rookie orientation camp. When he met the players he'd idolized as a Packers fan growing up (including @ClayMatthews52) he did so in a wheelchair. He's excited to be having a healthy offseason.

I had kinda forgotten he was a Packer. Biegel, Lowrey, Fackrell: The Packer MehRush

woodbuck27
04-11-2018, 08:22 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-super-bowl-odds-vegas-expert-picks-predictions-teams-to-fade/

2019 NFL Super Bowl odds: Vegas expert picks, predictions, teams to fade

R.J. White finished in the top 1 percent of the Las Vegas SuperContest and locks in Super Bowl LIII picks

By: CBS Sports Staff Apr 9, 2018 • 2 min read

New England Patriots: 5/1
Pittsburgh Steelers: 8/1
Philadelphia Eagles: 8/1
Los Angeles Rams: 10/1

Green Bay Packers: 12/1

Minnesota Vikings: 12/1

San Francisco 49ers: 16/1
Houston Texans: 18/1
Kansas City Chiefs: 18/1
Jacksonville Jaguars: 18/1
New Orleans Saints: 18/1

For the rest of the odds please click on the LINK.

KYPack
04-12-2018, 10:26 AM
On his deathbed, Aaron Rodgers will receive total consciousness. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/10/the-internet-is-having-fun-with-aaron-rodgers-meeting-the-dalai-lama/https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/10/the-internet-is-having-fun-with-aaron-rodgers-meeting-the-dalai-lama/

For a million dollars or so, The Lama will make you a deity. Allegedly, Steven Sagall did it.

mraynrand
04-12-2018, 10:28 AM
For a million dollars or so, The Lama will make you a deity. Allegedly, Steven Sagall did it.

Yeah but when Seagal didn't obtain mystical powers, he broke the Lama's arm backwards at the elbow.

gbgary
04-12-2018, 03:07 PM
house *sigh*

pbmax
04-12-2018, 03:12 PM
house *sigh*

#Packers CB Davon House has agreed to a one-year deal with the #Packers.

Backend getting older. Though with nearly 30 Burnett gone with Randall, might be a wash.

mraynrand
04-12-2018, 03:15 PM
It doesn’t matter if the backend is older as long as it doesn’t sag. Just ask my wife.

pbmax
04-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Context is King. Or is it? Does this longer form quote from the radio interview give his comments a different spin?

Interviewer: There have been some changes in Green Bay in the offseason. Jordy [Nelson] is now with the Oakland Raiders. You were not very happy about that move, or were you just a little unhappy? I don’t want to speak for you, obviously.

Aaron Rodgers: Well it’s a tough part of the business when you get close to guys and spend a lot of time with them. [Cell phone cuts out.] It’s tough when you get to know guys and you don’t get to finish up with them.

Interviewer: On draft night, where are you going to be?

Rodgers: I don’t know. I couldn’t even tell you when the draft is.

Interviewer: You’re not going to be perched on Mike McCarthy’s right shoulder helping him or telling him who you need on your side of the ball this year?

Rodgers: I think it's pretty clear that players play and coaches coach and personnel people make their decisions. That's the way they want it.

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/aaron-rodgers-players-play-coaches-coach-comments-out-of-context-misquoted

Cheesehead Craig
04-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Bob and Brian are awesome.

woodbuck27
04-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Context is King. Or is it? Does this longer form quote from the radio interview give his comments a different spin?

https://thepowersweep.com/blog/aaron-rodgers-players-play-coaches-coach-comments-out-of-context-misquoted

*** https://thepowersweep.com/blog/aaron...text-misquoted

Comment woodbuck27:

Yikes ! That's not cool but... was ARod thinking next (?):

I need to check that date for the start of the NFL Draft later ie tonight and/or soon? :idea:

mraynrand
04-12-2018, 05:30 PM
*** https://thepowersweep.com/blog/aaron...text-misquoted

Comment woodbuck27:

Yikes ! That's not cool but... was ARod thinking next (?):

I need to check that date for the start of the NFL Draft later ie tonight and/or soon? :idea:

To you and us, thinking about Football is fun. To Rodgers, much of it is simply work and his job. As much as he may love it, he (like we do from our jobs) needs a break from his work. Although it impacts him, the actual draft is not even remotely part of his job. Maybe give him a break.

run pMc
04-12-2018, 05:44 PM
To you and us, thinking about Football is fun. To Rodgers, much of it is simply work and his job. As much as he may love it, he (like we do from our jobs) needs a break from his work. Although it impacts him, the actual draft is not even remotely part of his job. Maybe give him a break.

Yup. I don't think Rodgers cares where they come from, just as long as they can play.

As for House, the guy played with a broken back last year, and I'd take him over Quentin Rollins. Given the injury bugs, having him as your #4 CB isn't bad. (I still assume they will draft 1-2 CBs.)

It's also worth noting what this says about the talent at CB. You have King and...basically that's it, and King's no sure thing.

red
04-16-2018, 05:19 PM
so i guess the packer re-signed house 3 days ago, but everyone was busy fucking around with dumb shit like mock drafts to notice

Zool
04-16-2018, 09:06 PM
so i guess the packer re-signed house 3 days ago, but everyone was busy fucking around with dumb shit like mock drafts to notice

Or care?

woodbuck27
04-16-2018, 10:55 PM

I get you red.

At Packerrats we used to care about Packers that did some real service with our Team. ie TE Richard Rodgers that supplied on of te most exciting moments; ( the First Aaron Rodgers to him' - Hail Mary ) for us ... or Packer Nation to get really excited over, in the past 6-7 Seasons.

Now they leave with insult and come back (maybe) without even a hello.

We live in a world gone berserk !

pbmax
04-23-2018, 03:45 PM
#Packers CB Davon House has agreed to a one-year deal with the #Packers.

Backend getting older. Though with nearly 30 Burnett gone with Randall, might be a wash.

Rob Demovsky
Davon House's one-year deal with the Packers is for $1.005 million. It's simple: There's a $90,000 signing bonus and a $915,000 base salary. The $90k signing bonus is the maximum for a team to still get the minimum salary benefit for the salary cap.

pbmax
04-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
In the fIve months since Mike McCarthy put all his confidence in Brett Hundley and Joe Callahan as his QBs, the Packers traded their top CB for Hundley's replacement and released Callahan.

Maybe they got really lucky that Rodgers was actually ready?

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:36 PM
The Packers are signing two of their tryout players: LB Greer Martini of Notre Dame and TE Ryan Smith of Miami (Ohio), per a league source.

Barry Alvarez's grandson not on list: https://t.co/RehyZQvtRI

woodbuck27
05-06-2018, 01:07 AM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
In the fIve months since Mike McCarthy put all his confidence in Brett Hundley and Joe Callahan as his QBs, the Packers traded their top CB for Hundley's replacement and released Callahan.

Maybe they got really lucky that Rodgers was actually ready?

Sometimes the obvious must happen.

Joemailman
05-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
The Packers signed six more draft picks: WR J'Mon Moore (fourth-round) G Cole Madson (fifth) WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling (fifth) WR Equanimeous St. Brown, WR (sixth) DT James Looney, DT (seventh) OLB Kendall Donnerson (seventh) They already had signed P JK Scott (fifth) and LS Hunter Bradley (seventh), leaving only three more draft picks to sign -- CB Jaire Alexander (first), CB Josh Jackson (second) and LB Oren Burks (third)..

pbmax
05-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Can anyone see Rodney @packernotes Twitter feed? Its either private or he's blocked me and the PackerRats Twitter feed.

https://t.co/hM10kVnEHX

Apparently he claimed that the beat reporters and local media never hold the Packer Orgs feet to the fire and therefore they do not/did not (sign Dez Bryant/sign the right free agents/draft a pass rusher/something or other). Packer media defended itself and then someone remembered Rob Davis getting into Michael Cohen's face over the LeTroy Guion reporting. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/31/report-packers-official-tried-to-intimidate-journalist-over-letroy-guion-story/

red
05-09-2018, 06:52 AM
he's absolutely right

pbmax
05-09-2018, 07:28 AM
he's absolutely right

I don't buy that it changes anything unless you are a wobbly organization already (Jets). But also in the discussion is that Bob McGinn (or maybe Rob Reichel) cannot get a press pass these days, which is interesting.

Joemailman
05-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Michael Rodney

@PackersNotes
May 6

Interesting to hear Tramon Williams talk about how offenses had caught up to Dom and he never adjusted. Hmmm, sounds like something I first started writing about in 2012. And yet MM did nothing until a few months ago.

Brian Walter

@RushRunner
May 6
More
Yes. And guys like us who realized it back then just got told it was a lack of players on defense or injuries or ... And then we were called spoiled for being disappointed.

Michael Rodney

@PackersNotes
Follow Follow @PackersNotes
More
Replying to @RushRunner
Media is also at fault. Had a few of them put the heat on MM, he might've dumped Dom years ago. But they all stayed quite and made inane excuses.

Jordan Wolf

@cheesywoof
May 7
More
Replying to @PackersNotes @RushRunner
It's comical that you actually believe media could influence decision making.

Jeff Nelson

@jeffnc1
May 7
More
A few too many cheerleaders In local media

Jimmy Two Times

@GetThePapers2x
23h23 hours ago
More
0 replies 0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet Like 1

MK

@MDynasty17
23h23 hours ago
More
Lol its quiet not quite.

0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet Like

DementiaTeddyThompson

@DementiaTeddyT
May 7
More
I’ll pull a mofo’s press pass real quick if you step putt line!!!

Reply Retweet Like

ET

@whiskey_shisky
May 7
More
How will they players and coaches to give them information or quotes if the reporters out the heat on them. Not much difference from political media.

Reply Retweet Like

Brian Walter

@RushRunner
May 7
More
Replying to @PackersNotes
Definitely.

Reply Retweet Like
© 2018 Twitter About Help Center Terms Privacy policy .

pbmax
05-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Ah, the old Dom got caught canard.

Its always one thing. Funny how failure never has two or three fathers.

Joemailman
05-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Mike Pettine had 2 quotes in his January PC that I thought pointed to what happened to Capers (although I don't know that he was referring specifically to Capers):

"You used to go into a game with 50-60 calls. Now it's maybe 25 because you're dealing with younger players".

"If the other team knows what defense you're in pre-snap, you're in trouble".

really had the feeling last year that teams knew what was coming. My guess is that Capers was unable to simplify the defense for the younger players without becoming predictable.

Zool
05-09-2018, 08:39 AM
WTF, does is everyone so reliant on spell check that they don't bother to proof read their tweets? That shit was mind numbing.

mraynrand
05-09-2018, 08:55 AM
I did see that Alonzo Dotson has left for the Jets. Sounds like he moved up. Packers scouting department is now pretty young and has some holes to fill.

Joemailman
05-09-2018, 09:14 AM
I did see that Alonzo Dotson has left for the Jets. Sounds like he moved up. Packers scouting department is now pretty young and has some holes to fill.

Dotson must suck. Browns didn't want him.

run pMc
05-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Mike Pettine had 2 quotes in his January PC that I thought pointed to what happened to Capers (although I don't know that he was referring specifically to Capers):

"You used to go into a game with 50-60 calls. Now it's maybe 25 because you're dealing with younger players".

really had the feeling last year that teams knew what was coming. My guess is that Capers was unable to simplify the defense for the younger players without becoming predictable.

Agree. Also helps when you don't have a bunch of rookies and nobodies in the secondary. That said, you should be able to at least teach those guys a couple dozen calls over a week, including disguises. There seemed to be no mystery to what Dom was doing...actually, there seemed to be no logic either. The defense was on the field but not doing much defending.

The Hundley offense did them no favors either. There were games where the defense played well enough to win but the offense let them down. Lots of blame to go around: talent, experience, Dom, coaching, Hundley...

pbmax
05-09-2018, 11:02 AM

I think its been true of his blitzes for even longer.

Also think shortening the playbook and playing man across the board hurt the development of young talent he had more recently.

mraynrand
05-09-2018, 11:31 AM
That may be why they drafted who they did. The d backs drafted 1+2 are more ready to play than Randall and Rollins.l were.

The Shadow
05-09-2018, 11:38 AM
That may be why they drafted who they did. The d backs drafted 1+2 are more ready to play than Randall and Rollins.l were.

True, that.

woodbuck27
05-12-2018, 12:57 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/5/11/17343850/packers-news-cheese-curds-5-11-college-diplomas-clinton-dix-aaron-jones-no-delays-for-draft-picks

Cheese Curds, 5/11: Packers players earn college diplomas, no delays for draft picks

As two veteran Packers graduate this weekend, all of the team’s draft picks should be eligible to participate in OTAs when they begin in a few weeks.

By Evan "Tex" Western@TexWestern May 11, 2018, 8:15am CDT

woodbuck27
05-12-2018, 01:00 AM
Agree. Also helps when you don't have a bunch of rookies and nobodies in the secondary. That said, you should be able to at least teach those guys a couple dozen calls over a week, including disguises. There seemed to be no mystery to what Dom was doing...actually, there seemed to be no logic either. The defense was on the field but not doing much defending.

The Hundley offense did them no favors either. There were games where the defense played well enough to win but the offense let them down. Lots of blame to go around: talent, experience, Dom, coaching, Hundley...

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/1807645e93564982825c09dc4e7d58ea/portrait-of-a-young-man-squeezing-his-face-together-with-his-hands-a04991.jpg

pbmax
05-12-2018, 11:37 AM

One concern I have about the defense is that the offense never threatened a bunch of teams. So there were more than a couple second halves with the opposing offense off the throttle. The good news is that the run D held up pretty well, but even that might be puffed up by the pourous secondary. Why run when you can pass with impunity?

pbmax
05-12-2018, 05:38 PM
cynthia frelund @cfrelund
Curious... if a team can only have one: which is MORE important an elite pass rusher or a shut down corner? Why?

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN
Easy/popular answer is pass rusher, BUT, you can have a top 10 defense where the secondary is more dominant than the front/pass rush. I know this pole is closed, but there are multiple ways to win in NFL. This is a very interesting question that all team builders think about...

Brian Burke @bburkeESPN
I believe this may have a definitive answer. The offense owns the initiative in terms of where to throw. A shutdown CB can only limit the QB’s options and can be schemed out of the picture. A pass rusher impacts every pass and can’t easily be schemed around.

But I am pretty sure you can scheme around ONE dominant pass rusher. Sometimes takes two blockers though.

pbmax
05-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Vegas thinks the Packers might be better than 7-9 this year.

Vegas has released point spreads for 240 NFL games this year. This means we can generate the implied ratings Vegas has for each team. I did that for you. The Browns are still the worst team, just behind the Jets. The Pats and Steelers are the top two.

https://t.co/ZrlKOVbfk5

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdFUYrRVMAAmzng.jpg:large

run pMc
05-13-2018, 10:27 AM
cynthia frelund @cfrelund
Curious... if a team can only have one: which is MORE important an elite pass rusher or a shut down corner? Why?

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN
Easy/popular answer is pass rusher, BUT, you can have a top 10 defense where the secondary is more dominant than the front/pass rush. I know this pole is closed, but there are multiple ways to win in NFL. This is a very interesting question that all team builders think about...

Brian Burke @bburkeESPN
I believe this may have a definitive answer. The offense owns the initiative in terms of where to throw. A shutdown CB can only limit the QB’s options and can be schemed out of the picture. A pass rusher impacts every pass and can’t easily be schemed around.

But I am pretty sure you can scheme around ONE dominant pass rusher. Sometimes takes two blockers though.

Interesting. I think back to the Seattle game a few years ago where they basically ignored Sherman's side of the field (Jordy had a very quiet day) and the Packers lost. I agree you can double/chip a pass rusher, so it's not like they can't be neutralized. I think it's a question of whether it's more advantageous for the opposing team to scheme/double the pass rusher (2 blockers) vs. having the defense shift its coverage to where your shutdown CB isn't (since they don't need as much support). Seems to me to be a question of optimizing resource allocation to win the battle (i.e., that snap).

What made the 2010 D so dangerous was that Woodson could play anywhere and was a playmaker, plus they got pass rush from Cullen Jenkins, Clay, and sometimes Raji. I don't know that they had any shutdown CB types, although Tramon was having a very good year.

woodbuck27
05-13-2018, 10:41 PM
One concern I have about the defense is that the offense never threatened a bunch of teams. So there were more than a couple second halves with the opposing offense off the throttle. The good news is that the run D held up pretty well, but even that might be puffed up by the pourous secondary. Why run when you can pass with impunity?

It was too easy for opposing teams last year.

Hard to watch.

woodbuck27
05-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Vegas thinks the Packers might be better than 7-9 this year.

Vegas has released point spreads for 240 NFL games this year. This means we can generate the implied ratings Vegas has for each team. I did that for you. The Browns are still the worst team, just behind the Jets. The Pats and Steelers are the top two.

https://t.co/ZrlKOVbfk5

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdFUYrRVMAAmzng.jpg:large

That looks like Playoff bound.

Joemailman
05-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Gutey fighting back!

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
The Packers are hiring scout Patrick Moore, who had been with the Browns, a source confirms. (First reported by @InsideTheLeague). GM Brian Gutekunst will likely announce his revamped scouting department soon.

mraynrand
05-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Gutey fighting back!

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
The Packers are hiring scout Patrick Moore, who had been with the Browns, a source confirms. (First reported by @InsideTheLeague). GM Brian Gutekunst will likely announce his revamped scouting department soon.

I don't like the way this is going - this is turning into that bad episode of Star Trek where the crazy woman inhabits Kirk's body and vice versa.

pbmax
05-15-2018, 08:14 AM
I don't like the way this is going - this is turning into that bad episode of Star Trek where the crazy woman inhabits Kirk's body and vice versa.

If Ted has grown a goatee, we are all in trouble.

Guiness
05-15-2018, 10:20 AM
I guess this qualifies as Packer news?

For a guy who kept his mouth shut and played the game, Witten isn't taking too long to get into the swing of things, stirring shit and creating headlines instead of reporting on them.

Dez to the Packers? I highly doubt it.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/15/jason-witten-thinks-dez-bryant-will-be-a-packer/

gbgary
05-15-2018, 10:43 AM

For a guy who kept his mouth shut and played the game, Witten isn't taking too long to get into the swing of things, stirring shit and creating headlines instead of reporting on them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/15/jason-witten-thinks-dez-bryant-will-be-a-packer/

he's a talking head not a journo. it's not like the subject hasn't been a topic of conversation since the moment he was released either.

Smidgeon
05-15-2018, 11:09 AM

I don't want talking heads pretending to be reporters. It never works out well. Let them speculate and theorize on stories. They aren't reporters. They are people paid to give their opinions. And never the lines shall blur. Amen.

Zool
05-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Well he did put THINK in his article so he was clearly just giving an opinion on the subject. Not sure we're beating him up for an off the cuff speculation.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2018, 11:19 AM
I don't want talking heads pretending to be reporters. It never works out well. Let them speculate and theorize on stories. They aren't reporters. They are people paid to give their opinions. And never the lines shall blur. Amen.

Is James Jones a reporter? Jones is friends with a lot of Packers/Ex-Packers, so said players give him a tons of insider info. Wasn't Jones the first to break the news about Jordy and Burnett?

Perhaps Dez has told Witten he's leaning toward donning the Green and Gold. Get it done, Gute!

pbmax
05-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Is James Jones a reporter? Jones is friends with a lot of Packers/Ex-Packers, so said players give him a tons of insider info. Wasn't Jones the first to break the news about Jordy and Burnett?

Perhaps Dez has told Witten he's leaning toward donning the Green and Gold. Get it done, Gute!

But unlike Jones, this doesn't seem to be sourced or breaking news. He seems to agree with popular speculation.

Cheesehead Craig
05-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Won't happen. Nothing to see here.

call_me_ishmael
05-15-2018, 04:24 PM
I think it will happen. Why wouldn't it happen? It makes too much sense to not happen. We need receivers. Dez is a great receiver with rare physical gifts. His dwindling production is a by-product of terrible QB play. I'm 100% on board with bringing in Dezzy poo.

texaspackerbacker
05-15-2018, 06:14 PM
I just read an article on Packers 24/7 saying the Packers are NOT expected to sign Dez - THANKFULLY!

Bryant's "rare physical gifts" have faded drastically the last few years, and his penchant for pouting and disrupting a team are as strong as ever. Having seen him play for my second favorite team, I DON'T WANT ANY PART OF HIM!

That plus the fact that we have 9 or 10 quality WRs now, and probably can't keep more than 6 or 7 at most.

gbgary
05-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Well he did put THINK in his article so he was clearly just giving an opinion on the subject. Not sure we're beating him up for an off the cuff speculation.

yup. he was being opinion guy (his new job).

gbgary
05-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Won't happen. Nothing to see here.

source? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/wink5.gif

gbgary
05-15-2018, 07:07 PM
I just read an article on Packers 24/7 saying the Packers are NOT expected to sign Dez - THANKFULLY!

Bryant's "rare physical gifts" have faded drastically the last few years, and his penchant for pouting and disrupting a team are as strong as ever. Having seen him play for my second favorite team, I DON'T WANT ANY PART OF HIM!

That plus the fact that we have 9 or 10 quality WRs now, and probably can't keep more than 6 or 7 at most.

without a team source quoted they're just guessing too. sure he's not what he was but he's better than allison. he'll be super motivated too. i'd consider him for the one year (i'll show the cowboys, and the rest of the league, they fucked up) contract he says he wants.

Cheesehead Craig
05-15-2018, 07:09 PM
source? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/wink5.gif

Don't make me come over there.

gbgary
05-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Don't make me come over there.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

pbmax
05-15-2018, 11:15 PM
I don't have a team source, but outside of Dougherty and Demovsky, no one has a better pipeline into the Packers than Ian Rapaport, he of the oft-denied but ultimately true move toward smaller, quicker D lineman.

Rap Sheet says:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
New TV analyst Jason Witten isn't wrong. The #Packers have been considered a possible Dez Bryant landing spot... but they aren't engaged now and nothing is imminent.

Which is a very kind and long way to put this fact forward: everyone seems to think its a good idea except the Packers.

Which also means that all this stuff probably stems from Dez's side of the aisle.

woodbuck27
05-16-2018, 12:06 AM

That's not happening for too many reasons and why?

1. The Packers invested heavy in the Draft and WR; and what is remaining of their CAP as any potential offer?

2. If he was signed as a Packer!? Will Dez suddenly arrive in 'the Green And Gold' and play football and stop with the child like drama (s)?

3. What might the Packers be willing to even possibly offer Dez Bryant on 'a prove it one year Vet contract' Vs what Dez believes he is worth?

4. Will Dez Bryant be worth the risk and be that NO. 1/2 WR the Packers really need to upgrade what looks like 'a Pop Gun Offense' and the WR Position?

pbmax
05-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Still available in free agency:

1. Luke Joeckel, who was a bust at tackle but had switched to guard in the last two years.
2. Connor Barwin
3. Brett Celek - another in a long line of Eagle TEs I like but cannot distinguish between. It started with Jeff Thomason.

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/featured-stories/the-packers-still-could-add-some-pieces-this-off-season/

pbmax
05-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Bavaria via Yahoo: https://sports.yahoo.com/forecasting-dez-bryants-future-teams-make-sense-according-vegas-001223869.html

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/4.vm.SCQLnk_IQeIR_ngsQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9MTI4MDtoPTk2MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/4a471d5cd924191125412ff976fe5e70

Anti-Polar Bear
05-16-2018, 09:59 AM

I count 4 QUALITY players, if you throw Jimmy G in at WR.

1. Adams: Not a bona fide #1. A concussion or two away from retirement.

2. Cobb: Glad he's still donning the Green and Gold, but diminutive body can only take so many hits.

3. Graham: Love the signing, but Graham's not a bomb threat.

4. MVS: Speed is awesome, but a rook. Rooks usually take time to develop.

The rest are, to paraphrase Dr. Strange, insignificant matters rotting away in an indifferent universe. Gute needs to sign Dez. Quick.

pbmax
05-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Gute needs to sign Dez. Quick.

“The [inability] to win one-on-one, to win downfield. There was inconsistency, as well as some huge things in his play. … It’s a production-based business,” Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay explained in a radio interview on ESPN 103.3 FM.

His own team's view of him.

pbmax
05-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Free agent CB Bashaud Breeland is visiting the Colts today and scheduled to visit the Cardinals tomorrow, a source said. His foot issue is healed and he’s expected to be able to pass all medical tests. He had been one of the top corners on the market in March.

Bretsky
05-16-2018, 11:45 PM
Still available in free agency:

1. Luke Joeckel, who was a bust at tackle but had switched to guard in the last two years.
2. Connor Barwin
3. Brett Celek - another in a long line of Eagle TEs I like but cannot distinguish between. It started with Jeff Thomason.

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/featured-stories/the-packers-still-could-add-some-pieces-this-off-season/

I'm on board for Barwin again; dude is a personality with an endless motor.

I think he was injured part of last year and if memory is right (too lazy to look up) I think he had 6.5 sacks.

GET ER DONE GOOTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fritz
05-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Man, Bretsky, seems like you been liking Connor Barwin since 2009.

gbgary
05-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Marcedes Lewis in for a Packers visit. would automatically be the #2 te.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Marcedes Lewis in for a Packers visit. would automatically be the #2 te.

34 but TEs age slower than WRs, so sign him up. Dude can block.

smuggler
05-23-2018, 04:43 PM
He's a good character influence and he is quite a good blocker, as APB said.

mraynrand
05-23-2018, 06:04 PM
He's a good character influence and he is quite a good blocker, as APB said.

Guy plays hard. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Packer uni. Toolbox2

Joemailman
05-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Git 'er done Gutey!

NewsBruin
05-25-2018, 09:49 AM

If he can block, that's good. Bill Barnwell had a piece (but not this one (http://grantland.com/features/only-time-tell-football-permanently-changed/)) that went into detail that most "receiving" TEs' performance and elite athleticism drops off after their first few seasons, as they just get beat the frick up.

We've had better success on second- and third-contract TEs than the average, but I still worry about picking up lemons that don't have no squeeze left.

woodbuck27
05-25-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm on board for Barwin again; dude is a personality with an endless motor.

I think he was injured part of last year and if memory is right (too lazy to look up) I think he had 6.5 sacks.

GET ER DONE GOOTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

He actually had 5 SACKS and 55.5 SACKS in his 9 Year Pro Career:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarwCo99.htm

woodbuck27
05-25-2018, 03:13 PM

A solid move for The Green Bay Packers and protection for Aaron Rodgers and addressing 'a real need' and a blocking TE.

That still leaves a need for more speed at the LBer position

woodbuck27
06-04-2018, 10:25 AM
https://www.packers.com/news/inbox-trust-factors-into-the-calculations

Monday, Jun 04, 2018 08:43 AM

Inbox: Trust factors into the calculations

spofford-headshot - Mike Spofford - PACKERS.COM SENIOR WRITER

Kevin from Onalaska, WI

" ....What do you think Vince Lombardi would think of the spectacle that NFL games, especially the Super Bowl, have become? I would imagine he would be happy that the league has survived and grown to what it is, but I can't imagine he would appreciate some of the arbitrary rules and other things like musical performances forcing a longer halftime during the biggest ..."

Lombardi standing in the tunnel, pacing back and forth in an agitated manner, as Bruno Mars finishes his halftime set gives a whole new meaning to, “What the hell’s going on out here?!”

Please click on the LINK above for the rest of the Inbox.

woodbuck27
06-04-2018, 10:52 AM
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-launch-packers-com-100-to-celebrate-100-seasons

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 10:45 AM

Packers launch packers.com/100 to celebrate 100 Seasons

" ... The Green Bay Packers today launched an exclusive microsite, packers.com/100, where fans can experience the 100 Seasons celebration online. ...

...Fans are invited to celebrate 100 Seasons socially by using the hashtags #Packers100 and #PackersStory.

A century in the making, 100 Seasons is the ongoing celebration of the Packers’ rich history, which includes the club’s 100th season in 2018 and will be capped by the franchise’s 100th birthday on Aug. 11, 2019. A wide variety of events and activities will kick off over the next several months, with fans and community members invited to join in the numerous festivities. More information on these and other 100 Seasons activities can also be found online at packers.com/100. ..."

Please click on the LINK above for the rest of this story about the greatness of 'the Green Bay Packers Franchise and how Packer Nation my partake in it.

GO PACK GO!