PDA

View Full Version : "PACKER POISED FOR FREE AGENT PURSUITS

Bretsky
01-18-2018, 12:42 AM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/15/dougherty-packers-poised-free-agency-foray/1030814001/

some real nice examples of FA and trades that helped build the rosters of the final four

Smidgeon
01-18-2018, 01:29 AM
Confirmation bias. They did it, they're in the final four, therefore it worked.

What about the other 28 teams that did it and they aren't in the final four. GB was heavy in FA this year. Backfired. Didn't help, despite everyone clamoring its success.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2018, 01:44 AM
Signing quality is vastly different than signing quantity of crap - Bennett, Kendrick, House, maybe Brooks.

Fritz
01-18-2018, 04:18 AM
Signing quality is vastly different than signing quantity of crap - Bennett, Kendrick, House, maybe Brooks.

People were peeing themselves in excitement when Bennett was signed. Lots of "Who needs Jared Cook?" posts. People were feeling good about Ted "finally" signing some big names.

BZnDallas
01-18-2018, 07:52 AM
People were peeing themselves in excitement when Bennett was signed. Lots of "Who needs Jared Cook?" posts. People were feeling good about Ted "finally" signing some big names.

I haven't pissed myself since.... well.... NM :cry:

I was happy with the Bennett signing. If for no other reason than Ted trying new tricks. Yeah yeah, I know he's dipped in the pond before.

Cheesehead Craig
01-18-2018, 07:57 AM
I look at it that 3 of the final 4 have fantastic defenses and the other (NE) has avg talent but great coaching.

So by firing Capers and getting a new DC, I feel the Packers have already started to emulate the final four teams.

pbmax
01-18-2018, 09:12 AM
McGinn has left but apparently the editors haven't changed one bit.

mraynrand
01-18-2018, 09:29 AM
McGinn has left but apparently the editors haven't changed on bit.

Survivor bias! :)

Zool
01-18-2018, 11:02 AM
To wit, on the Packers’ 53-man roster for their final game in 2017, they had 40 players Thompson either drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent. By comparison, Philadelphia has 24, Jacksonville 26 and Minnesota 29.

Holy shit. Philly and Jacksonville drafted less than half of their roster? Minnesota is barely over half? I got an idea. Start drafting better.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2018, 12:33 PM

I have to admit to being one of those - well, maybe without the peeing hahahaha. That just shows how low the bar was set at with Ted. Bennett seemed like a big departure from his usual shit. Clearly, we got somebody's lemon - just another pick up that nobody else wanted. For that matter, you could say the same about Cook - he only seemed good by comparison to the rest of the shit Ted dragged in.

mraynrand
01-18-2018, 01:30 PM
I have to admit to being one of those - well, maybe without the peeing hahahaha. That just shows how low the bar was set at with Ted. Bennett seemed like a big departure from his usual shit. Clearly, we got somebody's lemon - just another pick up that nobody else wanted. For that matter, you could say the same about Cook - he only seemed good by comparison to the rest of the shit Ted dragged in.

WEll, you could line up all the FA acquisitions and see how many worked out for each team to gauge the TT success rate with re-signing developed guys versus dipping in the Fa pool, then - oh, wait, this is Tex I'm responding to. Never mind.

Pugger
01-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Of the FA Ted brought in this past season Evans was the most productive. Poor House and Brooks were hurt more than not. Kendricks was a disappointment and Bennett was a shit. I too was excited when we brought in MB but looking back there was a reason why a guy with his talent wore out his welcome in 3 other cities. Our biggest mistake was going with that goofball instead of keeping Cook. And why we didn't even bother to talk to Peppers is one of life's mysteries. :???:

pbmax
01-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Everyone on the planet except Jared’s mother blew that FA signing. His agent too.

But remember, M3 wanted some blocking at TE too. Meant they would not empty vault for a more one dimension type.

denverYooper
01-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Confirmation bias. They did it, they're in the final four, therefore it worked.

What about the other 28 teams that did it and they aren't in the final four. GB was heavy in FA this year. Backfired. Didn't help, despite everyone clamoring its success.

The Jags have picked in the top 5 the last 6 years. Is that a strategy we want to endorse?

The story is the same every year -- look at the teams that finished ahead of Green Bay and say they acquired the right players in the right way.

bobblehead
01-19-2018, 01:12 AM

Bennet is a very good player when motivated and used correctly. Brooks is a real good talent. Dial seems to be a nice run stopper. Evans was the "veteran stopgap" that people complained TT doesn't sign.

Lets be intellectually honest. Last season was the most active of TTs tenure for FA. It was one of the worst seasons of his tenure.

I will say this much. Since we draft near the bottom every year and don't have a marquee talent to resign other than Arod, maybe one key signing would be a benefit. Peppers almost counted, but was getting old. Not sure there is that type of FA out there this season.

For my taste, the injuries are the reason this team "almost" makes it every year, and that is on MM for practicing his guys at 10% and then asking them to play 100% on sunday.

bobblehead
01-19-2018, 01:14 AM
Holy shit. Philly and Jacksonville drafted less than half of their roster? Minnesota is barely over half? I got an idea. Start drafting better.

Also fail to mention the last 5 years of below mediocrity drafting high each year.

bobblehead
01-19-2018, 01:16 AM
Of the FA Ted brought in this past season Evans was the most productive. Poor House and Brooks were hurt more than not. Kendricks was a disappointment and Bennett was a shit. I too was excited when we brought in MB but looking back there was a reason why a guy with his talent wore out his welcome in 3 other cities. Our biggest mistake was going with that goofball instead of keeping Cook. And why we didn't even bother to talk to Peppers is one of life's mysteries. :???:

But seriously TT used hiim for shit. He spent most of his time pass blocking and then releasing for a TE screen....wtf. Try smash mouth run plays with his blocking and then when the D tightens up run him up the middle for a pass play. MM is much more a problem than TT.

Bretsky
01-19-2018, 06:33 AM
McGinn has left but apparently the editors haven't changed one bit.

McGinn, the editors and the writers all pretty much give the same content; whether that means they have some validity, or we are bias toward defending GB, is the debate it seems

Joemailman
01-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Bennet is a very good player when motivated and used correctly. Brooks is a real good talent. Dial seems to be a nice run stopper. Evans was the "veteran stopgap" that people complained TT doesn't sign.

Lets be intellectually honest. Last season was the most active of TTs tenure for FA. It was one of the worst seasons of his tenure.

I will say this much. Since we draft near the bottom every year and don't have a marquee talent to resign other than Arod, maybe one key signing would be a benefit. Peppers almost counted, but was getting old. Not sure there is that type of FA out there this season.

For my taste, the injuries are the reason this team "almost" makes it every year, and that is on MM for practicing his guys at 10% and then asking them to play 100% on sunday.

A lot of that is on the CBA:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/9/4/9226351/the-collective-bargaining-agreement-has-really-made-it-tough-on-nfl

The NFL has limited teams to 11 padded practices for the first eleven weeks of the season. As a coaching staff, you are only allotted to have two padded practices in a one week period once. After that only one day per week can there be full-contact. In the final six weeks of the season a team is allowed to only conduct three padded practices. It just seems like a lot of time away from the actual game-type situations. Of course, the NFLPA fought for some of these provisions including limiting the amount and types of practices that can be conducted during the bye week. That's not to say that all players were in agreement about the changes but what's done is done at this point.

Pugger
01-19-2018, 08:22 AM
But seriously TT used hiim for shit. He spent most of his time pass blocking and then releasing for a TE screen....wtf. Try smash mouth run plays with his blocking and then when the D tightens up run him up the middle for a pass play. MM is much more a problem than TT.

The GM wasn't the problem nor was it MM. Once Rodgers went down all MB wanted to do was get the hell out of town. His shoulder didn't bother him while Aaron was playing and it didn't bother him enough when NE came calling.

Pugger
01-19-2018, 08:23 AM
A lot of that is on the CBA:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/9/4/9226351/the-collective-bargaining-agreement-has-really-made-it-tough-on-nfl

I honestly believe the changes in the CBA limiting contact in practice is the reason why injuries are up league wide.

pbmax
01-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Since the injury debacle of 2011 and 2012 I think, the Packers are dead league average for injuries and games lost. The sports science guys brought one magical year of healthy starters, but even when it inevitably dipped, they dipped to average not horrific.

When was that Cardinal playoff loss with the double Hail Mary? That year it was all at WR.

The weird thing about the last two years is how it seemed concentrated in the secondary.

mraynrand
01-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Since the injury debacle of 2011 and 2012 I think, the Packers are dead league average for injuries and games lost. The sports science guys brought one magical year of healthy starters, but even when it inevitably dipped, they dipped to average not horrific.

When was that Cardinal playoff loss with the double Hail Mary? That year it was all at WR.

The weird thing about the last two years is how it seemed concentrated in the secondary.

cardinals was 2015, and WR, yes.

2013 was Rodger's Shoulder I, 2014 his calf (was 2014 the magical injury-free year? If so, what happened to Clay in the NFCC game?). 2017 is Rodger's shoulder II (the hard reboot), DB, some running back and O-line. Last year was DB and ....

mraynrand
01-19-2018, 09:52 AM

cardinals was 2015, and WR, yes.

2013 was Rodger's Shoulder I, 2014 his calf (was 2014 the magical injury-free year? If so, what happened to Clay in the NFCC game?). 2017 is Rodger's shoulder II (the hard reboot), DB, some running back and O-line. Last year was DB and ....

Pugger
01-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Of course some of our injury issues lately were because one or two positions got hit hard. In 2016 corner got decimated. This past year it was the tackle position along with corner yet again.

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2018, 12:01 PM
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/954172933139771392

If this happens and Ansah does hit the market, you pony up and do whatever you need to do to sign him.

texaspackerbacker
01-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Getting a healthy Ansah would be great; It's far from a sure thing he'd stay healthy, though.

woodbuck27
01-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Nailed it !

woodbuck27
01-21-2018, 05:42 PM
I honestly believe the changes in the CBA limiting contact in practice is the reason why injuries are up league wide.

I think your saying Players are getting too soft!?

If your a runner training for a Long Distance Race;you don't train by going for walks.

Pugger
01-23-2018, 07:48 AM
I think your saying Players are getting too soft!?

If your a runner training for a Long Distance Race;you don't train by going for walks.

No, the players are not soft but like you said you don't train for a marathon by walking.

BZnDallas
01-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Stephen Jones down here in Dallas has some choice words for Dez. Questions rising about if he's gonna be around next year. If Dez is released, anybody interested in him as no.2 behind Davante? Obviously the money would have to be low enough. But as a possession guy, Dez might be interesting with Aaron tossing him the ball.

Cheesehead Craig
01-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Stephen Jones down here in Dallas has some choice words for Dez. Questions rising about if he's gonna be around next year. If Dez is released, anybody interested in him as no.2 behind Davante? Obviously the money would have to be low enough. But as a possession guy, Dez might be interesting with Aaron tossing him the ball.

Oh hell no. He has drop issues, no speed, and acts like he's still an elite WR.

pbmax
01-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Does anyone have numbers on injuries overall for the League over a number of years?

Because I kinda doubt its much higher than prior to the new CBA.

3irty1
01-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have numbers on injuries overall for the League over a number of years?

Because I kinda doubt its much higher than prior to the new CBA.

I've aggregated it before from pages like this: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2017_injuries.htm

BZnDallas
01-23-2018, 09:29 AM

Haha! No argument from me. He's certainly not the same guy he once was. Now ask yourself, Dez vs Jordy or Cobb. Id still take a guy like Jordy or Cobb over a guy like Dez.

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2018, 01:18 PM

You beat me to saying it - on all counts.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Dez is a premier receiver and physical specimen. I'd take him if he's not a yank off of the field. Look at who's throwing him the ball!

Cheesehead Craig
01-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Dez is a premier receiver and physical specimen. I'd take him if he's not a yank off of the field. Look at who's throwing him the ball!
He led the league in drops this year. You're thinking of 2014 Dez, he would be worth pursuing. His production has fallen off a cliff since then.

BZnDallas
01-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Dez would definitely be better with Aaron throwing him the ball. He was high on the 'targets' list this year too but Dak just wasn't that accurate. I think Dez could put up numbers here as a no.2, but I just wouldn't want to put up with his attitude. Not Packer People

3irty1
01-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Dez is only 29 and made 16 starts this year. I like the fit.

He's still great at beating press coverage (a weakness of ours)
He's still great at competing for contested balls (nice to have when nobody can get open see: Finley, Jermichael)
His best route is the back shoulder thing (happens to be a Rodger's special)
He gets away with tons of OPI
Knows how to set a guy up and get deep without needing to win a race

BZnDallas
01-23-2018, 05:47 PM

He's still great at competing for contested balls (nice to have when nobody can get open see: Finley, Jermichael)

The OPI thing is not only hilarious but there's some truth to it. Like the Seahawks on defense (DPI), or Dez on offense, they seem to get away with it. If it were up to me I'd be looking to see if Larry Fitz becomes free. He's everything Dez is and more and might take less to play with an Aaron type. Just saying, its a nice thought.

Joemailman
01-23-2018, 05:56 PM

He's like Davante Adams. Packers need a speed guy to complement Adams, not another Adams. When Packers 2nd round pick comes along, get TT on the phone and tell him to pick a WR. Use your free agent money at CB or OLB.

3irty1
01-23-2018, 06:32 PM
He's like Davante Adams. Packers need a speed guy to complement Adams, not another Adams. When Packers 2nd round pick comes along, get TT on the phone and tell him to pick a WR. Use your free agent money at CB or OLB.

There might be more types of WRs than just speed guys and non-speed guys. Adams is a classic Packer mold: perfect timing on routes, explosive cuts, great hands, and have some wiggle after the catch. Everything compliments that. Can't get too many of those guys but Bryant is far more physical than Adams. He bullies DBs at the line and down the field. At 29 he might still have some of that deceptive long strider deep speed he used to have.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2018, 08:47 PM
TO could still do pretty well in the league today. What's the difference between TO and Dez? Dez is slightly less of a PITA. I'd take him in a second. LMAO - he is a MUCH better and more talented player than Adams.

Joemailman
01-23-2018, 09:04 PM
TO could still do pretty well in the league today. What's the difference between TO and Dez? Dez is slightly less of a PITA. I'd take him in a second. LMAO - he is a MUCH better and more talented player than Adams.
Was. On a downward tend. 3 straight years under 1000 yards. YPC down to 12.1. Catch% of 52 even though Prescott's completion% is 63. Still a good player but not elite anymore.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Look who's throwing him the ball, though. Went from Tony Romo to some bum. Yes, I am much lower on Dak than many others are. He'll be a back-up in a few years IMHO.

Pugger
01-24-2018, 12:09 AM
I don't want TO. I would prefer Gutey draft a young faster player this spring instead.

mraynrand
01-24-2018, 08:00 AM

who is this 'TT' you speak of?

gbgary
01-24-2018, 11:10 AM
He's like Davante Adams.

with less speed, worse hands, worse attitude, and he doesn't "survive the ground" well. no thank you. :-)

BZnDallas
01-24-2018, 01:08 PM
with less speed, worse hands, worse attitude, and he doesn't "survive the ground" well. no thank you. :-)

Hahaha #stillnotacatch

mraynrand
01-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Hahaha #stillnotacatch

yup. Too bad, so sad.

Joemailman
01-24-2018, 04:27 PM
who is this 'TT' you speak of?

Executive Vice-President In Charge Of Wide Receivers Drafted In The 2nd Round.

mraynrand
01-24-2018, 04:28 PM

:)

3irty1
01-24-2018, 04:43 PM

and Offensive Lineman drafted on day 3

George Cumby
01-24-2018, 08:53 PM
I heard Jerry Rice is on the comeback trail.

Joemailman
01-24-2018, 09:09 PM
and Offensive Lineman drafted on day 3

One of the cruel ironies of the Jason Spriggs selection is that TT traded a 4th round pick to move up in the 2nd round to take Spriggs. Yes the 4th round is the round that TT drafted Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari and Tretter.

Bretsky
01-24-2018, 10:43 PM
One of the cruel ironies of the Jason Spriggs selection is that TT traded a 4th round pick to move up in the 2nd round to take Spriggs. Yes the 4th round is the round that TT drafted Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari and Tretter.

There were some VERY good players there; and there was Spriggs............ouch

pbmax
01-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Ye all of little SPRIGGS faith ...

George Cumby
01-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Hope Spriggs eternal.

gbgary
01-25-2018, 01:00 PM
spotrac.com/research/nfl/market-values-for-50-notable-nfl-free-agents (http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/market-values-for-50-notable-nfl-free-agents-675/)

bobblehead
01-25-2018, 02:05 PM

He has been outperformed by adams in every possible metric the last 2 years. Adams is younger and played this season with a QB that doesn't belong in the league as a backup.

bobblehead
01-25-2018, 02:10 PM
I got a plan. Lets trade a high pick for sheldon richardson in a win now move. I recall that had many on this site convinced that the Seahawks were superbowl bound. #winnow #schniederisagenius #kindofmoveTTnevermakes

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2018, 03:27 PM
He has been outperformed by adams in every possible metric the last 2 years. Adams is younger and played this season with a QB that doesn't belong in the league as a backup.

Meh, I don't put a lot of stock in that. Different offenses, different situations, etc. Do you honestly think Adams, a slow receiver that's not overly physical, is a better receiver than grown-ass Dez, who's bigger, stronger, faster? The eye test tells me not a chance. But my eyes have been wrong before.

pbmax
01-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Meh, I don't put a lot of stock in that. Different offenses, different situations, etc. Do you honestly think Adams, a slow receiver that's not overly physical, is a better receiver than grown-ass Dez, who's bigger, stronger, faster? The eye test tells me not a chance. But my eyes have been wrong before.

Did your eyes see Dez not perform this year or last? Sometimes players just get old fast.

See Nelson, Jordy

mraynrand
01-25-2018, 04:51 PM
grown-ass Dez

I agree that Dez is a grown ass.

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2018, 04:55 PM
Dez and Jordy aren't comparable athletes in my opinion. Dez is 4 years younger than Jordan Nelson. Agree to disagree I guess. Dez is a physical specimen - Jordy is not as freaky.

Joemailman
01-25-2018, 04:57 PM
Did your eyes see Dez not perform this year or last? Sometimes players just get old fast.

See Nelson, Jordy

Yep. Dez missed 10 games in 2015-2016 due to injuries. He played in all 16 games this year, but did not resemble the 2014 Dez. I doubt he gets it back.

mraynrand
01-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Dez and Jordy aren't comparable athletes in my opinion. Dez is 4 years younger than Jordan Nelson. Agree to disagree I guess. Dez is a physical specimen - Jordy is not as freaky.

Dez is stronger no doubt. Better attacking and being physical at the point of catch. More of a beast. If Dez were less of a wreck mentally, I'd gladly trade Jordy for him straight up, even with the Rodgers-Nelson connection.

bobblehead
01-25-2018, 07:13 PM

My eyes say Adams has done more on the field by a lot for 2 years running. So, yes, I believe he is better.

Cheesehead Craig
01-25-2018, 10:04 PM
Even the Cowboys biggest homer - Skip Bayless, says that Dez is not worth it anymore.

call_me_ishmael
01-25-2018, 11:25 PM
That's a fair point all. I guess we'll see. My gut feeling is he will be a beast next year if he has a good QB. He'll be extra motivated to be sure. We shall see. I don't watch much football these days outside of Sunday night so I don't have a strong opinion on it.

pbmax
01-26-2018, 08:58 AM
If he would be willing, I imagine Bryant is a terrifying red zone threat with his ability to come down with the ball. Would make Bubba Franks look pedestrian.

:lol:

Speaking of Bubba, did anyone else see that Bubba play from the Eagles? Good ol' Doug Pederson had his TE block then leak into a pattern as slow as molasses. He was wide open due to the threat of the run.

Fritz
01-26-2018, 09:37 AM

That's what your mom said.

mraynrand
01-26-2018, 10:09 AM
If he would be willing, I imagine Bryant is a terrifying red zone threat with his ability to come down with the ball. Would make Bubba Franks look pedestrian.

:lol:

Speaking of Bubba, did anyone else see that Bubba play from the Eagles? Good ol' Doug Pederson had his TE block then leak into a pattern as slow as molasses. He was wide open due to the threat of the run.

That 'pattern' was perfected by Ed 'toolbox' West. Bubba could only effect a shallow imitation.

gbgary
01-28-2018, 07:05 PM

See Nelson, Jordy

yes. cowboy nation hasn't been totally happy with him for a while. single covered, doesn't get open, one-trick pony w/bad hands. he'll take a huge pay cut or be released.

as for Jordy...i give him a pass for this season. he got open a lot but Hundley was...well...you know.

woodbuck27
01-31-2018, 05:41 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2747950-nfl1000-early-look-at-the-top-players-in-2018-nfl-free-agency

NFL1000: Early Look at the Top Players in 2018 NFL Free Agency

NFL1000 SCOUTS ... DECEMBER 8, 2017

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905368/article/top-25-free-agents-of-2018-quarterbacks-top-the-board-for-now

Top 25 free agents of 2018: Quarterbacks top the board (for now)

By Gregg Rosenthal ...Around The NFL Editor

Published: Jan. 11, 2018 at 12:44 p.m. Updated: Jan. 14, 2018 at 01:39 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments

pbmax
01-31-2018, 10:45 AM
The Packers have PLENTY of room to sign top quality free agents.

Base Salary Cap: $178,000,000
Team CapSpace EffectCapSpace #Active Cap Spending Dead Money
49ers $115,944,832 $115,944,832 61 $103,049,029 $15,054,569
Browns $109,653,737 $109,653,737 70 $116,984,421 $10,274,802
Colts $77,264,402 $77,264,402 64 $115,772,884 $1,800,217
Jets $72,646,618 $72,646,618 55 $118,513,011 $2,918,337
Buccs $61,458,129 $61,458,129 54 $130,923,033 $814,506
Texans $56,642,308 $56,642,308 63 $130,916,868 $390,033
Vikings $53,533,143 $52,573,143 49 $137,541,244 $654,816
Spuds $52,266,678 $52,266,678 67 $126,716,734 $500,950
Titans $49,528,268 $49,528,268 58 $157,634,638 $551,413
Lions $46,584,205 $46,584,205 55 $129,130,207 $6,436,899
Rams $43,469,419 $43,469,419 51 $136,991,446 $431,754
Bears $40,607,467 $40,607,467 51 $143,768,010 $1,233,381
Bengals $35,328,993 $35,328,993 64 $152,686,187 $632,363
Saints $32,697,386 $32,697,386 64 $138,623,709 $6,965,970
Bills $29,418,581 $29,418,581 52 $141,045,590 $18,719,288
Broncos $26,773,245 $26,773,245 59 $161,069,049 $365,907
Chargrs $24,084,070 $24,084,070 55 $151,814,323 $4,723,657
Giants $23,467,537 $23,467,537 63 $154,419,529 $478,255
Panthrs $20,305,968 $20,305,968 58 $159,691,844 $2,371,254
Cowboys $18,594,447 $18,594,447 54 $153,569,215 $13,711,112
Packers $17,389,101 $17,389,101 52 $159,826,884 $4,718,533
Jaguars $16,517,319 $16,517,319 66 $188,606,617 $644,803
Pats $16,335,489 $16,335,489 52 $161,207,002 $965,423
Raiders $14,838,413 $14,838,413 57 $167,948,151 $2,018,441
Sea $14,756,861 $12,356,861 46 $159,777,694 $4,012,715
Falcons $10,850,622 $10,850,622 51 $165,373,492 $2,378,535
Ravens $9,937,893 $9,937,893 57 $169,003,886 $2,333,338
Cards $8,714,438 $8,714,438 51 $170,213,859 $673,489
Dolphin $8,668,035 $8,668,035 55 $168,124,438 $276,688
Steeler ($3,080,776) ($3,080,776) 53 $184,165,661 $956,175
Eagles ($7,435,856) ($7,435,856) 56 $185,322,699 $486,941
Chiefs ($9,228,655) ($9,228,655) 63 $182,990,482 $5,806,923

pbmax
01-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Source for previous chart: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Remember, Rodgers probably gets a new deal this offseason.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-31-2018, 01:55 PM
John Dorsey resembles Mike Sherman more than Ted Thompson. Dorsey led the Chiefs into the dreaded cap hell, just like Sherman once did with our beloved Pack.

[/sarcasm]

Joemailman
01-31-2018, 07:07 PM
The Packers have PLENTY of room to sign top quality free agents.

Base Salary Cap: $178,000,000
Team CapSpace EffectCapSpace #Active Cap Spending Dead Money
49ers $115,944,832 $115,944,832 61 $103,049,029 $15,054,569
Browns $109,653,737 $109,653,737 70 $116,984,421 $10,274,802
Colts $77,264,402 $77,264,402 64 $115,772,884 $1,800,217
Jets $72,646,618 $72,646,618 55 $118,513,011 $2,918,337
Buccs $61,458,129 $61,458,129 54 $130,923,033 $814,506
Texans $56,642,308 $56,642,308 63 $130,916,868 $390,033
Vikings $53,533,143 $52,573,143 49 $137,541,244 $654,816
Spuds $52,266,678 $52,266,678 67 $126,716,734 $500,950
Titans $49,528,268 $49,528,268 58 $157,634,638 $551,413
Lions $46,584,205 $46,584,205 55 $129,130,207 $6,436,899
Rams $43,469,419 $43,469,419 51 $136,991,446 $431,754
Bears $40,607,467 $40,607,467 51 $143,768,010 $1,233,381
Bengals $35,328,993 $35,328,993 64 $152,686,187 $632,363
Saints $32,697,386 $32,697,386 64 $138,623,709 $6,965,970
Bills $29,418,581 $29,418,581 52 $141,045,590 $18,719,288
Broncos $26,773,245 $26,773,245 59 $161,069,049 $365,907
Chargrs $24,084,070 $24,084,070 55 $151,814,323 $4,723,657
Giants $23,467,537 $23,467,537 63 $154,419,529 $478,255
Panthrs $20,305,968 $20,305,968 58 $159,691,844 $2,371,254
Cowboys $18,594,447 $18,594,447 54 $153,569,215 $13,711,112
Packers $17,389,101 $17,389,101 52 $159,826,884 $4,718,533
Jaguars $16,517,319 $16,517,319 66 $188,606,617 $644,803
Pats $16,335,489 $16,335,489 52 $161,207,002 $965,423
Raiders $14,838,413 $14,838,413 57 $167,948,151 $2,018,441
Sea $14,756,861 $12,356,861 46 $159,777,694 $4,012,715
Falcons $10,850,622 $10,850,622 51 $165,373,492 $2,378,535
Ravens $9,937,893 $9,937,893 57 $169,003,886 $2,333,338
Cards $8,714,438 $8,714,438 51 $170,213,859 $673,489
Dolphin $8,668,035 $8,668,035 55 $168,124,438 $276,688
Steeler ($3,080,776) ($3,080,776) 53 $184,165,661 $956,175
Eagles ($7,435,856) ($7,435,856) 56 $185,322,699 $486,941
Chiefs ($9,228,655) ($9,228,655) 63 $182,990,482 $5,806,923

Spotrac has them with 21 million cap room. Spotrac has the cap at at 183 million.

pbmax
01-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Spotrac has them with 21 million cap room. Spotrac has the cap at at 183 million.

That would raise everyone's cap space. Packers still in the twenties for most cap space. Not a lot of room. But more importantly, many others with more stupid money to spend.

Joemailman
01-31-2018, 08:03 PM
That would raise everyone's cap space. Packers still in the twenties for most cap space. Not a lot of room. But more importantly, many others with more stupid money to spend.

Packers back in November filed claim to get back 4 million of Bennett's signing bonus. If they win the claim, does that get added to their cap room? Arbitrator is supposed to make decision before start of league year.

pbmax
01-31-2018, 08:44 PM
Packers back in November filed claim to get back 4 million of Bennett's signing bonus. If they win the claim, does that get added to their cap room? Arbitrator is supposed to make decision before start of league year.

Would make sense but haven’t read anything on it.

SudsMcBucky
02-01-2018, 07:25 AM
Source for previous chart: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Remember, Rodgers probably gets a new deal this offseason.

I'm also going to assume they'll either cut or restructure some big contracts to save money, too (CM3, JN, RC).

bobblehead
02-01-2018, 08:14 PM
John Dorsey resembles Mike Sherman more than Ted Thompson. Dorsey led the Chiefs into the dreaded cap hell, just like Sherman once did with our beloved Pack.

[/sarcasm]

Maybe that is why he ran out of town faster than Joe Mixon after clocking that chick.

pbmax
02-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Maybe that is why he ran out of town faster than Joe Mixon after clocking that chick.

I think it was because he did not draft a punter.

pbmax
02-01-2018, 08:32 PM
I'm also going to assume they'll either cut or restructure some big contracts to save money, too (CM3, JN, RC).

That would change the calculus and the needs a bit. I think I could see one WR take a cut (Nelson) but I think the other two are staying.

woodbuck27
02-02-2018, 08:26 AM

This TO?

https://www.mercurynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/20130110_114513_owens2.jpg?w=329

That TO was an excellent WR ! Dez Bryant isn't an NFL HOFer Candidate while Terrell Owens certainly is.

From 1998 - 2008 that TO hauled in 127 TD's or an average of 11.54 TD's Season over those 11 Seasons. That's a rate of 1.233 TD's per Game !

That's just EXCELLENT !

Dez Bryant NFL Career 2010-2017 TD's Total equals 73 TD's or an average of 9.125 TD's per Season and 0.646 TD's per Game. Over the course of the last 3 Seasons his TD Production Rate isn't productive producing 'only' 17 TD's in 37 Games played or 0.459 TD's per Game.

I don't want to see Dez Bryant in the Green and Gold.

Cheesehead Craig
02-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Math is a little off Woody. TO played 157 games over that timeframe you posted. So 127 TDs over 157 games is .808 TDs/game. Still a real good stretch by a WR though.

The comment by Partial is way off. TO is 44 now, he couldn't even sniff the league at this point.

call_me_ishmael
02-02-2018, 08:51 AM
That's just silly. You don't think Randy Moss or TO could still get deep? 44 is old, sure, but athletes don't just go from premier to nothing over night. They could easily make a roster, but they both have plenty of money that additional traction on the body isn't worth the salary they'd earn.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Regardless, Dorsey built the current team in Kansas City, you know, that team that made the playoffs this season. And there's no such thing as cap hell in this day and age of soaring revenues and titanic TV contracts. Sure, it appears like the Chiefs are currently over the cap at this moment in space-time, but all they have to do is get rid of game manager Alex Smith, and they'll be out of cap hell in no time.

mraynrand
02-02-2018, 01:24 PM
That's just silly. You don't think Randy Moss or TO could still get deep? 44 is old, sure, but athletes don't just go from premier to nothing over night. They could easily make a roster, but they both have plenty of money that additional traction on the body isn't worth the salary they'd earn.

‘Overnight’

hoosier
02-02-2018, 01:48 PM
If a 44 year old (former) athlete could make an NFL roster at a skill position today, we would be seeing at least one of them out there. You can slow down the effects of aging on maximal heart rate, VO2max, loss of muscle mass and declining recovery ability, but you cannot stop it. But that aside the idea is just silly. If Owens were to make an NFL roster today he would either be attempting a comeback after seven years of NFL inactivity (and about 14 years past his physical prime) or he would have been on an NFL roster for twenty two years at a skill position, which means he would probably have had at least three career-ending injuries by now and would be on his second set of artificial knees.

mraynrand
02-02-2018, 02:07 PM
... attempting a comeback after seven years of NFL inactivity.

'overnight'

call_me_ishmael
02-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Meh, I still think Michael Jordan at 50-something could beat 2/3 of the NBA in one-on-one, and I still think Brett Favre, in the right situation, could sit back and sling the football as well as anyone.

Just look at Brady.

Maybe sustained performance is not there, but I think most of these studs can get the fast twitch firin' up again and make some big plays.

BZnDallas
02-06-2018, 07:30 AM
What do yall think about David Irving? Rumors in Dallas are saying the Cowboys may place a 2nd round tender on him. I'd consider our second rounder for him. He's really young and really explosive.

woodbuck27
02-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Math is a little off Woody. TO played 157 games over that timeframe you posted. So 127 TDs over 157 games is .808 TDs/game. Still a real good stretch by a WR though.

The comment by Partial is way off. TO is 44 now, he couldn't even sniff the league at this point.

" TO played 157 games over that timeframe you posted. So 127 TDs over 157 games is .808 TDs/game. " Cheesehead Craig

Comment woodbuck27:

Your correct.

I'll add this here as I was interested in when if ever Terrell Owens would make the HOF based on his previous two years of eligibility and negative results; what happened that he did get the approval vote this year?

Here's a Story on that:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/2/5/16971514/hall-of-fame-results-2018-terrell-owens-debate-length

Terrell Owens debate was longest of the day for Hall of Fame voters

I wonder what changed people’s minds in year three?

By: David Fucillo@davidfucillo ... Feb 5, 2018, 6:45am PST

call_me_ishmael
02-06-2018, 09:27 AM
What do yall think about David Irving? Rumors in Dallas are saying the Cowboys may place a 2nd round tender on him. I'd consider our second rounder for him. He's really young and really explosive.

I would love it. It sounds like he is a rising star. I doubt they will do it due to the financial realities of the game, though.

woodbuck27
02-06-2018, 10:02 AM

This has to be a serious consideration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Irving_(American_football)

" ...On March 6, 2017, Irving re-signed with the Cowboys.[11] On May 23, 2017, it was announced that Irving would be suspended four games due to violating the league's performance enhancing drugs policy.[12] His appeal was denied and was officially suspended the first four games of the 2017 season.[13]

Despite missing the first four games because of his suspension, and the final two because of a lingering concussion, Irving still accrued seven sacks on the year.[14] ..."

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2018, 11:20 AM
I wonder what changed people’s minds in year three?

TO campaigned pretty hard that he was getting different standards applied to him than others. So much was brought up about his antics that were not a measuring stick that was applied to other players. I think he made just enough sense and got other players already in the HOF agreeing with him and stumped for him as well to be in that they convinced enough voters. I also think that the writers like to get in some final dig at the players they didn't like. By keeping them out of the HOF for a year or several years, they get some last bit of pettiness at the player.

woodbuck27
02-06-2018, 11:49 AM
TO campaigned pretty hard that he was getting different standards applied to him than others. So much was brought up about his antics that were not a measuring stick that was applied to other players. I think he made just enough sense and got other players already in the HOF agreeing with him and stumped for him as well to be in that they convinced enough voters. I also think that the writers like to get in some final dig at the players they didn't like. By keeping them out of the HOF for a year or several years, they get some last bit of pettiness at the player.

Yes I agree and the 'tbe be patient with us as we had to be patient with your impetulant ways in the past' factor and holding TO out until year three of eligibility.

Then there is the possible Point of bringing in Randy Moss as a First Ballot Candidate and any consideration of holding Moss out based on his off field behaviour.

I think it came down to this:

Looking at Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, it became way too obvious that there game production had to place both in the NFL HOF.

When a NFL player has to be seriously considered and game planned for year after year that player has to be seriously considered for the NFL Hall Fame.

bobblehead
02-06-2018, 12:31 PM

Ummm...no. Jerry Rice is the best WR ever and his last two seasons at 41 and 42 were bad. QB, Kicker, maybe punter can compete at 40. No other position has a chance.

pbmax
02-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Ummm...no. Jerry Rice is the best WR ever and his last two seasons at 41 and 42 were bad. QB, Kicker, maybe punter can compete at 40. No other position has a chance.

Isn't Brady 0-1 in Super Bowls in his 40s? Sounds terrible to me.

woodbuck27
02-07-2018, 08:18 AM

Here's a couple of examples of NFL Players excelly in the NFL at 40 Years of age.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/careerstats

2017 Season NFL MVP Tom Brady (Born: 8/3/1977)

Did you forget this Guy?

Brett Favre: Born: 10/10/1969

Brett Favre's Stat's 2009 included: 531 Passing attempts and 363 Competitions for a Career BEST 68.4 %

Favre passed for 4202 Yards that Season for a Career BEST 7.9 Yard Average.

He averaged 262.6 Yards/Game or the 3rd Best in his 20 Year NFL Career.

Favre had 33 TD's or Tied for 4th Best in his Career.

woodbuck27
02-07-2018, 08:22 AM

I agree with you.

bobblehead
02-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Isn't Brady 0-1 in Super Bowls in his 40s? Sounds terrible to me.

Yep, he is a leightweight chocker.

bobblehead
02-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Here's a couple of examples of NFL Players excelly in the NFL at 40 Years of age.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/careerstats

2017 Season NFL MVP Tom Brady (Born: 8/3/1977)

Did you forget this Guy?

Brett Favre: Born: 10/10/1969

Brett Favre's Stat's 2009 included: 531 Passing attempts and 363 Competitions for a Career BEST 68.4 %

Favre passed for 4202 Yards that Season for a Career BEST 7.9 Yard Average.

He averaged 262.6 Yards/Game or the 3rd Best in his 20 Year NFL Career.

Favre had 33 TD's or Tied for 4th Best in his Career.

woodbuck27
02-07-2018, 01:07 PM

I stand corrected missed your post and QB.

QBME
02-07-2018, 07:07 PM

You're right... but Darrell Green came damn close.

texaspackerbacker
02-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Bruce Matthews - Clay's uncle - is another. His brother, Clay Jr. also played to 40 or so, I think, as a LB. You get a few freaks of nature at just about every position who last extra long. Luck has more to do with it than anything else, as even a lot of extremely well conditioned players get hurt bad enough to kill their career or at least greatly diminish their ability.

bobblehead
02-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Bruce Matthews - Clay's uncle - is another. His brother, Clay Jr. also played to 40 or so, I think, as a LB. You get a few freaks of nature at just about every position who last extra long. Luck has more to do with it than anything else, as even a lot of extremely well conditioned players get hurt bad enough to kill their career or at least greatly diminish their ability.

Julius Peppers seems to be as well. There are always outliers, but 40 seems to be a magic number for players outside the 3 positions.

pbmax
02-19-2018, 11:04 AM
The Butler cannot do it.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/16/why-packers-arent-likely-to-consider-free-agent-cb-malcolm-butler/

Last offseason, Justis Mosqueda did the research on Thompson’s tendencies for CheeseheadTV (https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/being-ted-thompson-cornerbacks-and-safeties-113). What he found: The Packers like their cornerbacks to be at least 5-11 (or very close), with a 40-yard dash time of 4.57 or better and a three-cone drill time of 6.87 or better.

Butler is listed at NFL.com at 5-11, but that appears to be a stretching of the truth. His pro day results, provided by NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=129122&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR), tell a different story.

Butler was measured at Alabama’s Pro Day in 2014 at a little under 5-10. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds and posted a three-cone time of 7.20, both well below Thompson’s athletic standards.

Joemailman
02-19-2018, 12:46 PM
The Butler cannot do it.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/16/why-packers-arent-likely-to-consider-free-agent-cb-malcolm-butler/

Last offseason, Justis Mosqueda did the research on Thompson’s tendencies for CheeseheadTV (https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/being-ted-thompson-cornerbacks-and-safeties-113). What he found: The Packers like their cornerbacks to be at least 5-11 (or very close), with a 40-yard dash time of 4.57 or better and a three-cone drill time of 6.87 or better.

Butler is listed at NFL.com at 5-11, but that appears to be a stretching of the truth. His pro day results, provided by NFLDraftScout.com (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=129122&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR), tell a different story.

Butler was measured at Alabama’s Pro Day in 2014 at a little under 5-10. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds and posted a three-cone time of 7.20, both well below Thompson’s athletic standards.

Okay, but Thompson isn't the GM and Capers isn't the DC. Isn't it possible that Gutekunst/Pettine will have different parameters for a CB than Thompson/Capers did? It's hard to say, because I'm not sure how much input Capers had with Thompson, or Pettine has with Gutekunst.

Fritz
02-19-2018, 01:27 PM
The Butler cannot do it.

Short 'n slow.

Why do the Packers want that, again?

pbmax
02-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Okay, but Thompson isn't the GM and Capers isn't the DC. Isn't it possible that Gutekunst/Pettine will have different parameters for a CB than Thompson/Capers did? It's hard to say, because I'm not sure how much input Capers had with Thompson, or Pettine has with Gutekunst.

Butler did say he has run as fast as 4.4 in other timing. And they may have different parameters now for CBs.

But BG is a Ron/Ted guy. And Butler has had two poor years out of three. I don't see why people want to spend more than $9 mil a year for this guy.

texaspackerbacker
02-20-2018, 09:12 PM
If BG is a Ron/Ted guy, then the Packers are doomed to fart away the rest of Aaron Rodgers' career, same as Ted's last few years. Butler may not be the answer, but we need free agent talent to make up for Ted's last few years - Jimmy Graham for sure and some kind of a solution at Corner.

Fritz
02-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Why is everybody so hot on Jimmy Graham? He's injury-prone, hates to block, and his great-grandpa just died.

ND72
02-21-2018, 09:01 PM
He's injury-prone, hates to block.

Sounds like a Packer to me.

Fritz
02-22-2018, 09:58 AM
It'd be like signing Jermichael Finley after his injuries.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-23-2018, 06:26 AM
It'd be like signing Jermichael Finley after his injuries.

I wasn't aware Graham is attempting to return from a catastrophic, potentially career-ending injury. And how the fuck is the guy "injury-prone?" Dude missed 5 games in 2015 (a fluke), but played in at least 15 games in each of his 7 other seasons. By comparison, A-Rod has landed on the IR at least 3 times in his career, in addition to dealing with calf problems once - Is Rodgers injury-prone?

I could see Graham reviving his career in GB the way Tony G did in Atlanta. German Shepherd needs to sign Graham. Whatever it takes.

Fritz
02-23-2018, 12:52 PM
I wasn't aware Graham is attempting to return from a catastrophic, potentially career-ending injury. And how the fuck is the guy "injury-prone?" Dude missed 5 games in 2015 (a fluke), but played in at least 15 games in each of his 7 other seasons. By comparison, A-Rod has landed on the IR at least 3 times in his career, in addition to dealing with calf problems once - Is Rodgers injury-prone?

I could see Graham reviving his career in GB the way Tony G did in Atlanta. German Shepherd needs to sign Graham. Whatever it takes.

Fifty-seven catches last year? Started thirteen games? Nine yards per catch? Dude, Richard Rodgers can do that.

pbmax
02-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Fifty-seven catches last year? Started thirteen games? Nine yards per catch? Dude, Richard Rodgers can do that.

Rodgers would start more games.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-23-2018, 10:58 PM

Tell me, which season exactly did Dick Rod started at least 13 games, caught 57 passes, averaged 9 yds a catch and scored 10 tds.

Using your logic, Adams is overpaid. Dude never once reached 1000 yds receiving and he’s injury prone.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-23-2018, 11:00 PM
Rodgers would start more games.

Except that D-Rod has never started more than 12 games in a season.

pbmax
02-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Except that D-Rod has never started more than 12 games in a season.

DickRod can only play when called. He's always available.

If Mike wants to start O with no TE personnel, then the team starts with no TE. Graham would miss those starts plus his injured games.

At least Richard can continue to contribute to special teams.

Joemailman
02-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Marty Bennett not retiring. Should Gutey kick the tires?:-)

run pMc
02-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Malcolm Butler doesn't do a lot for me, especially at $9M/yr. His passer rating stats last year weren't great, and if he's short and slow what's the appeal?

I honestly don't expect them to sign any splash players...but I do expect them to sign for depth like they did with Davon House and Jahri Evans last season. I like the idea of signing vets who can contribute for a year or two in the locker room and provide depth/competition.

It's possible they forgo that because they have so many draft picks, but BG has publicly hinted that they will be active in FA.
They're better off using their cap space to sign Rodgers to a long-term contract.

Jimmy Graham will want too much money, and he doesn't block. Might as well draft Auden Tate and run him or Michael Clark from the slot. Maybe Spriggs can play TE. :)

pbmax
02-25-2018, 08:02 PM
Free Agent List: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/77018/309/2018-nfl-free-agent-tracker?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

gbgary
02-25-2018, 09:13 PM
not a free agent but the Packers should have been in on the Marcus Peters trade. would have been great to get a shutdown corner. too late now.

Freak Out
02-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Peters was the KC CB right? Isn't he the crazy version of Talib?

Anti-Polar Bear
02-26-2018, 10:13 AM
DickRod can only play when called. He's always available.

If Mike wants to start O with no TE personnel, then the team starts with no TE. Graham would miss those starts plus his injured games.

At least Richard can continue to contribute to special teams.

Again, Jimmy G had a fluke season in which he missed multiple games due to injuries. He's not by any means, medians or modes "injury-prone." Graham's a playmaker; He was a misfit in Seattle's run-first offense. Imagine A-Rod throwing Graham the rock in an offense whose #1 receiver currently is Adams, a guy who has never once topped the 1000 yds receiving mark. 80+ catches, 1500+ yards, 10+ TDs easily for Graham, especially without Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Driver in their primes to feed.

I don't get the love for sloth Richard Rodgers. Aside from the Hail Mary, Rodgers played like the TE that sat on the Bears' Practice Squad last season - Whoever that TE was, he had no problems matching Rodgers' kung fu (if my Chinese is correct, "kung fu" means "skill").

Anti-Polar Bear
02-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Marty Bennett not retiring. Should Gutey kick the tires?:-)

Bring him back. He can block.

Why are folks complaining about Jimmy G's blocking. Ever since A-Rod, perhaps unjustly, took over for the Gunslinger, the only TE who could block very well in the Green and Gold was, gasp, Marty B.

Point is, a blocking TE is pointless with A-Rod at QB.

Joemailman
02-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Bring him back. He can block.

Why are folks complaining about Jimmy G's blocking. Ever since A-Rod, perhaps unjustly, took over for the Gunslinger, the only TE who could block very well in the Green and Gold was, gasp, Marty B.

Point is, a blocking TE is pointless with A-Rod at QB.

Do you think it's important for a TE to be able to block, or not?:confused:

gbgary
02-26-2018, 12:52 PM
Peters was the KC CB right? Isn't he the crazy version of Talib?

ha! you could put it that way. shut-down cb. int machine. oh well.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Do you think it's important for a TE to be able to block, or not?:confused:

Forgot to include the wink icon in the 1st paragraph.

I'm all for signing Jimmy G. According to some Pack fans, he can't block worth a lick. To answer your question, no, blocking TEs are not important. Not in the Packers' O. Not with A-Rod at QB.

Joemailman
02-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Spotrac estimates Graham's market value at 6.7 million

Release Jordy or Cobb to clear cap room.

Sign Graham

Move Ty Montgomery to slot WR position.

Any Takers?

Zool
02-26-2018, 02:58 PM

Sign Graham

Any Takers?

Depends on what that $6.7M means. Is that salary and bonuses? This will be his last big check and I'm betting he'll want $20M up front to sign for 4. Puts his cap hit at $10M if he's getting $6 per for salary and incentives.

Here's some comparisons between him and Cobb. Graham hit Seattle's cap for $10M in 2017. Cobb was $12.7M in 2017. Cobb(27) is 4 years younger than Graham(31).

Tgts Rec Yds AVG TD Lng RPG YPG Ctch%
96 57 520 9.1 10 33 3.6 32.5 59.4% - Graham
92 66 653 9.9 4 46 4.4 43.5 71.7% - Cobb

This is with Bart Hundler at QB vs RusWill. Not sure what you're gaining at that point.

Edit:
Nelson plays outside, but here's a comparison just for fun.

Nelson(32) hit GB's cap for $12.5M in 2017 and is a year older than Graham

88 53 482 9.1 6 58 3.5 32.1 60.2%

Joemailman
02-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Depends on what that $6.7M means. Is that salary and bonuses? This will be his last big check and I'm betting he'll want $20M up front to sign for 4. Puts his cap hit at $10M if he's getting $6 per for salary and incentives.

Here's some comparisons between him and Cobb. Graham hit Seattle's cap for $10M in 2017. Cobb was $12.7M in 2017. Cobb(27) is 4 years younger than Graham(31).

96 57 520 9.1 10 33 3.6 32.5 59.4% - Graham
92 66 653 9.9 4 46 4.4 43.5 71.7% - Cobb

This is with Bart Hundler at QB vs RusWill. Not sure what you're gaining at that point.

Edit:
Nelson plays outside, but here's a comparison just for fun.

Nelson(32) hit GB's cap for $12.5M in 2017 and is a year older than Graham

88 53 482 9.1 6 58 3.5 32.1 60.2%

Why compare Cobb to Graham? They play different positions. Graham would be an upgrade at TE. So if Montgomery could replace Cobb at slot, it would be an overall plus.

Jordy's days of playing primarily outside may be over.

Zool
02-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Why compare Cobb to Graham? They play different positions. Graham would be an upgrade at TE. So if Montgomery could replace Cobb at slot, it would be an overall plus.

Jordy's days of playing primarily outside may be over.

Mostly because you said cut one of them to sign Graham. Graham plays "TE"....sorta. He's more like a large slot receiver so he's not too far off from Cobb. If he's amazing, and he played with an MVP candidate QB, shouldn't his numbers have been better?

I guess I'm saying, I'm not sold on Graham at $10M.

Teamcheez1
02-26-2018, 05:24 PM
While not technically a free agent signing, ESPN reported the complexities of Damarius Randall's option year.

Apparently they have until May 3rd to declare if they will pick up the 5th year option on his rookie contract (or he would become a free agent next year). The NFL formula pegs his salary on the 5th year option at $8.526M.
If they exercise the option, his salary is guaranteed against injury, but they could still release him prior to the first day of the league year (in 2019) without consequences.

They did exercise the option on Ha Ha, but did not on Nick Perry, who they eventually just resigned. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Bretsky
02-26-2018, 06:29 PM

Sign Graham

Any Takers?

YES.....I AM IN....NO BRAINER

hoosier
02-26-2018, 08:15 PM
Graham is 31 and his production was way down since he came to Seattle. It used to be a run first offense out there but not lately: Wilson has thrown for over 4000 yards two of the last three seasons and just missed last year. It's just that not many of those yards have gone to Jimmie Graham. I see further decline and more injuries in his near future. No thanks.

wist43
02-26-2018, 08:29 PM
While not technically a free agent signing, ESPN reported the complexities of Damarius Randall's option year.

Apparently they have until May 3rd to declare if they will pick up the 5th year option on his rookie contract (or he would become a free agent next year). The NFL formula pegs his salary on the 5th year option at $8.526M.
If they exercise the option, his salary is guaranteed against injury, but they could still release him prior to the first day of the league year (in 2019) without consequences.

They did exercise the option on Ha Ha, but did not on Nick Perry, who they eventually just resigned. It will be interesting to see what they do.

This a no-brainer... let him walk.

The sooner the better.

call_me_ishmael
02-26-2018, 09:54 PM
A starting corner at 8.5M? No way they don't pick up that option knowing they can get out consequence free before the start of the league year.

wist43
02-26-2018, 11:11 PM
A starting corner at 8.5M? No way they don't pick up that option knowing they can get out consequence free before the start of the league year.

He's not a starting corner on any team but the Packers... and that's the point of dumping his useless ass.

Fritz
02-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Come on, Wist, just cuz you didn't like him coming out of college doesn't mean you can't reevaluate your assessment based on his recent performances. Once Kevin King was hurt, Randall was the Packers' best corner, and might have been before then. He is a starting NFL corner - maybe a slot corner, but a starting NFL corner.

Joemailman
02-27-2018, 05:52 PM
Packers will not get back any of Marty Bennett's signing bonus. The prorated amount of 4.2 million will count against the Packers 2018 cap. That was one bad free agent pickup.

pbmax
02-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Packers will not get back any of Marty Bennett's signing bonus. The prorated amount of 4.2 million will count against the Packers 2018 cap. That was one bad free agent pickup.

Would love to know the details of what the Packers allege.

wist43
02-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Come on, Wist, just cuz you didn't like him coming out of college doesn't mean you can't reevaluate your assessment based on his recent performances. Once Kevin King was hurt, Randall was the Packers' best corner, and might have been before then. He is a starting NFL corner - maybe a slot corner, but a starting NFL corner.

The Packers were what?? against the pass??

Was watching a national show a few weeks back and they were talking about the Packers pass defense... 28th in this, and 31st in that, and yada yada...

He makes the occasional splash INT, but the other 67 snaps he's missing tackles, taking bad angles, and getting burned. He's a terrible player.

No Fritz, my assessment of him has not changed one bit. The sooner he is a former Packer, the better. Ryan and Spriggs need to join him on the flight out of town too.

red
02-28-2018, 09:33 AM

randall is terrible

tbuck 2.0. gets ints, but can't cover and can't tackle

Fritz
03-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Let me just go on the record and remind you all that when they signed Bennett, I was totally against that. Many times, I said he was past his prime, that there was a reason he had played for so many teams, that he would probably block fine but would drop a lot of passes, that he would probably quit on the team if Aaron Rodgers got hurt, and that Ted would release him but try to get some of that money back, but that they would lose that money.

red
03-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Let me just go on the record and remind you all that when they signed Bennett, I was totally against that. Many times, I said he was past his prime, that there was a reason he had played for so many teams, that he would probably block fine but would drop a lot of passes, that he would probably quit on the team if Aaron Rodgers got hurt, and that Ted would release him but try to get some of that money back, but that they would lose that money.

i'm on the record as saying he might be at the most a slight upgrade over cook

turns out he was a massive downgrade. and what really sucks is that cook really wanted to stay here and would have been cheaper

Joemailman
03-01-2018, 04:56 PM

I said I agree with Fritz.

Rutnstrut
03-01-2018, 05:40 PM

turns out he was a massive downgrade. and what really sucks is that cook really wanted to stay here and would have been cheaper

At least they won't lose players due to TT's ego anymore.

Fritz
03-01-2018, 07:09 PM
I said I agree with Fritz.

Boy, this re-writing history is easier than I thought it would be.

Bossman641
03-01-2018, 09:31 PM

Not so sure on cook being cheaper. Pretty sure him and his agent misjudged the market.

Bossman641
03-02-2018, 12:35 PM
At least they won't lose players due to TT's ego anymore.

Ted Thompson - egomaniac

When the subject of Thompson came up during Seahawks GM John Schneider's combine news conference on Friday, the former Ron Wolf/Ted Thompson protégé became emotional. Schneider was asked about Thompson's impact on the Packers, and he got one word out before his voice began to break up.

"Enormous," Schneider said.

"He's a special guy," Schneider resumed. "And he did [it] his own way. His personality. His quiet, ethical, great character, high character."

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43884/we-miss-him-down-here-ted-thompsons-absence-felt-at-combine

red
03-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Not so sure on cook being cheaper. Pretty sure him and his agent misjudged the market.

packers offered cook a 6 million a year incentive laden contract, and pulled it off the table when they gave bennett 7 per year with no funny money

cook signed for 5.3 per year with oakland

pbmax
03-02-2018, 02:02 PM
packers offered cook a 6 million a year incentive laden contract, and pulled it off the table when they gave bennett 7 per year with no funny money

cook signed for 5.3 per year with oakland

Did Cook agree to the $6 mil per year deal? Why did he take less?

Bossman641
03-02-2018, 04:08 PM

There was an article a few weeks ago basically saying Packers thought they had an agreement with Cook and Cook's agent came back asking for more last minute. Cook's side is of course saying otherwise. One of those nobody really knows type of deals.

red
03-02-2018, 04:12 PM

cook says he never turned down the deal

they were in the middle of tough negotiations, the team put the 6 million a year on the table, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere, on the same morning, throw bennett for 7 million a year

i don't know if the offer then got pulled, or cook told the team to fuck off after they were fighting him so hard over every dime, just to turn around in a matter of minutes or hours and give a guy from another team everything he wanted, no questions asked

btw, reading some of the old articles, a-rod wanted cook back bad

pbmax
03-02-2018, 04:17 PM
cook says he never turned down the deal

they were in the middle of tough negotiations, the team put the 6 million a year on the table, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere, on the same morning, throw bennett for 7 million a year

i don't know if the offer then got pulled, or cook told the team to fuck off after they were fighting him so hard over every dime, just to turn around in a matter of minutes or hours and give a guy from another team everything he wanted, no questions asked

btw, reading some of the old articles, a-rod wanted cook back bad

The Packers thought they had a deal. The agent walked away with the offer and said we will think about it.

That usually means they will shop it. And the Packers went out and signed Bennett. The fact that Cook then got less kinda establishes that they misjudged their market. Packers did not want a bidding war and there were other options.

red
03-02-2018, 04:19 PM
and just to add back to the free agency thing

i thought it was in this thread, but i couldn't find it anywhere, but somewhere, someone, was talking about going after richard sherman

a report came out yesterday that he just had surgery on his other achilles, during the season he blew out one and had to have surgery, now he had to have the other one fixed for some reason

so the guy will be coming off surgeries to both achilles

red
03-02-2018, 04:21 PM
The Packers thought they had a deal. The agent walked away with the offer and said we will think about it.

That usually means they will shop it. And the Packers went out and signed Bennett. The fact that Cook then got less kinda establishes that they misjudged their market. Packers did not want a bidding war and there were other options.

so, the team waited all of one night to see if they would sign?

because they had bennett signed right away the next morning

red
03-02-2018, 04:22 PM
either way, the team offered less money to the guy that had the much better year and wasn't a cancer to his team

that was the whole point, wasn't it?

Fritz
03-02-2018, 05:31 PM
But wasn't one of our bitches about Ted that he always wanted to have only boy scouts? Weren't people jacked up that we finally had a "personality" on the team, someone with some attitude?

Bossman641
03-02-2018, 09:25 PM

That's how it appears to me as well.

Bossman641
03-02-2018, 09:28 PM
either way, the team offered less money to the guy that had the much better year and wasn't a cancer to his team

Going into the 2017 offseason I don't think you could find a single individual who valued Cook more highly then Bennett. Cook was faster but Bennett a much better blocker and more reliable overall. Ya, Bennett turned out to be a huge douche. Shit happens...and it's why TT/MM probably feel stronger about signing their own guys then guys off the market.

pbmax
03-03-2018, 08:13 AM

Snooze you lose.

pbmax
03-03-2018, 08:15 AM

The other guy declined to sign the deal. It takes two.

And while you wait, Bennett is going to other teams.

For someone who has been clamoring to get back into FA, you have to accept that the constrained market, access and team leverage works against you sometimes. You can't be patient if you want most of the top guys.

pbmax
03-03-2018, 08:19 AM
The curious decision in this case would be who decided to dump waiting on Cook and sign Bennett? His reputation was public.

Someone who might have agitated for the move who really wanted some TE blocking?

bobblehead
03-03-2018, 09:18 AM

How long exactly should they wait after offering a very fair deal to a guy who decides he wants to see if a cuter girl will make him a better offer?

Generally speaking, if a guy shops your deal to 31 other teams, one will be dumb enough to offer him better.

woodbuck27
03-05-2018, 11:58 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761577-predicting-perfect-landing-spots-contracts-for-the-nfls-biggest-free-agents?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Predicting Perfect Landing Spots, Contracts for the NFL's Biggest Free Agents

DAVENPORT ... MARCH 2, 2018

Comment woodbuck27:

How about Trumaine Johnson?

" ..."Over the past three seasons, he's snagged 10 interceptions, two of which he returned the distance, and recorded 41 pass breakups," Wagner-McGough wrote. "In 2015, he allowed a 55.0 passer rating in coverage—second among qualified cornerbacks—according to Pro Football Focus. In 2016, he allowed an 89.4 passer rating in coverage, which ranked 34th. And this past season, he allowed a 79.8 passer rating in coverage, which ranked 36th. He might not be a top-five cornerback, but he's in the top-tier. ..."