PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers not real confident in changes.

Rutnstrut
02-01-2018, 12:49 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22285473/aaron-rodgers-miffed-green-bay-packers-bring-back-qb-coach-alex-van-pelt

Starting to sound a bit diva like.

BZnDallas
02-01-2018, 01:19 PM
I'll wait for his second retirement announcement before I regulate Aaron to Diva status.

call_me_ishmael
02-01-2018, 01:34 PM
IDK, this interview was pretty diva.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2018, 01:52 PM
It doesn't sound like anything other than honest answers to questions designed to stir up trouble - the damn media tends to do that.

The only relevant thing in the story is that he is feeling fine after his injury.

BZnDallas
02-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Diva? He sounded uninterested to me. Maybe I'm reading into it wrongly, but I don't have an issue with his feathers being ruffled by losing the coach he works the closest with.

If he was a diva I'd think he'd be vocal about going after offensive FAs to help his offense out. Then threatening retirement if he didnt get what he wanted. I heard him talk about wanting to get the defense back to a championship level. That's real diva.....

Bert left a clear blueprint on diva-ing in green bay. Aaron is Aarrogant, no doubt it. FIGJAM (F*** Im Good Just Ask Me) is the nic name I hear a lot. But he has a ways to go for the diva label. IMO

mraynrand
02-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Was he doing crunches during the interview?

http://media.philly.com/images/owens-moorestown-600.jpg

mraynrand
02-01-2018, 04:27 PM
IT's not too hard to guess what happened. Van Pelt wanted to be an OC, so he let the Packers know he was going to let his contract expire. Rodgers and everyone else knew this. Probably Van Pelt and maybe Rodgers had some expectation that Van Pelt would be hired by the Packers as OC (or at least interview) at some point. When Bennett was let go, and Van Pelt wasn't interviewed, that was the end of the relationship. I note that Van Pelt didn't get hired as OC by anyone, so make of that what you will. Packers probably should have told Rodgers, but I'm guessing he'd be disappointed for (what looks like) his friend in any case, unless they'd hired him as OC. But Packers and Van Pelt letting the contract expire (assume this was mutual) meant that he either got a promotion or he's gone. Rodgers will get over it. He should be smart enough to have seen the writing on the wall - He can't be naive enough to think that Van Pelt would stay without being promoted. Why would they need to talk to Rodgers and explain anything if Rodgers knew Van Pelt's contract wasn't being renewed? Maybe, like Favre, his best friend as he gets to be the oldest guy on the team will be some equipment guy.

esoxx
02-01-2018, 05:23 PM
We'll never forget you Erin.

Joemailman
02-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Van Pelt's timing wasn't real good here. The Packers season went south because Rodgers got hurt and his replacement was a train wreck. Maybe not all his fault, but not a feather in his cap for the quarterbacks coach either.

The Shadow
02-01-2018, 07:40 PM
I'll wait for his second retirement announcement before I regulate Aaron to Diva status.

:glug:

Rutnstrut
02-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Certain players do the same exact type of shit and get labeled a diva. Rodgers does it and he's not, yeah right. Does his football performance excuse diva type behaviour, damn right. As could Brett, and TO and many other diva types.

pbmax
02-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Certain players do the same exact type of shit and get labeled a diva. Rodgers does it and he's not, yeah right. Does his football performance excuse diva type behaviour, damn right. As could Brett, and TO and many other diva types.

Name a recognized diva whose most controversial statement was this:

"Well, my quarterback coach didn't get retained," Rodgers said when asked for specifics. "I thought that was an interesting change, really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach, and that was an interesting decision."

Its not even a shot across the bow. Its a hey, anyone want to talk to me about this?

pbmax
02-02-2018, 10:32 AM
I do think there is a chance Van Pelt would have come back at the end of the season and sign a deal if he was fielding no offers.

So while it was definitely his decision not to renew a 2 year deal last year, he might have wanted to come back. But that is the risk of your free agent year. Just ask Greg Jennings.

woodbuck27
02-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Diva? He sounded uninterested to me. Maybe I'm reading into it wrongly, but I don't have an issue with his feathers being ruffled by losing the coach he works the closest with.

If he was a diva I'd think he'd be vocal about going after offensive FAs to help his offense out. Then threatening retirement if he didnt get what he wanted. I heard him talk about wanting to get the defense back to a championship level. That's real diva.....

Bert left a clear blueprint on diva-ing in green bay. Aaron is Aarrogant, no doubt it. FIGJAM (F*** Im Good Just Ask Me) is the nic name I hear a lot. But he has a ways to go for the diva label. IMO

" I heard him talk about wanting to get the defense back to a championship level. That's real diva..... " BZnDallas

That's just in my view common sense. The Packer Defense sucks.

That bottom NFL Tier defense places, over the TOP too much pressure, on the Aaron Rodgers led 'O'.

Comment: All the stuff on Aaron Rodgers former QB's Coach Alex Van Pelt leaving the Packers to secure a promotion; and 'in fact' not getting one as he signed as the Bengals QB Coach. Leaves it open to some speculation and why MM actually allowed Alex Van Pelt to leave?

I feel MM used former QB's Coach Van Pelt as a Scapegoat and how Backup QB Brett Hundley didn't perform reliably. That was typical Mike McCarthy and wringing his hands of responsibility.

I addition:

Mike McCarthy made other Coaching FIRES that made little sense i.e. Assistant Linebacker Coach Scott McCurley and his DL Coach Mike Trgovac when they were two of Packer HC Mike McCarthy's strongest position coaches in 2017.

" The Packers hired Giants assistant Frank Cignetti Jr. as their new quarterbacks coach." Article and as it transpired.

Comment: I consider that a weak hire. Hiring someone because you've known him for 3 decades doesn't translate as 'he's the best man for the job'.

mraynrand
02-02-2018, 10:57 AM
I do think there is a chance Van Pelt would have come back at the end of the season and sign a deal if he was fielding no offers.

So while it was definitely his decision not to renew a 2 year deal last year, he might have wanted to come back. But that is the risk of your free agent year. Just ask Greg Jennings.

Someone needs to interview Van Pelt's sister.

Pugger
02-02-2018, 11:10 AM
IT's not too hard to guess what happened. Van Pelt wanted to be an OC, so he let the Packers know he was going to let his contract expire. Rodgers and everyone else knew this. Probably Van Pelt and maybe Rodgers had some expectation that Van Pelt would be hired by the Packers as OC (or at least interview) at some point. When Bennett was let go, and Van Pelt wasn't interviewed, that was the end of the relationship. I note that Van Pelt didn't get hired as OC by anyone, so make of that what you will. Packers probably should have told Rodgers, but I'm guessing he'd be disappointed for (what looks like) his friend in any case, unless they'd hired him as OC. But Packers and Van Pelt letting the contract expire (assume this was mutual) meant that he either got a promotion or he's gone. Rodgers will get over it. He should be smart enough to have seen the writing on the wall - He can't be naive enough to think that Van Pelt would stay without being promoted. Why would they need to talk to Rodgers and explain anything if Rodgers knew Van Pelt's contract wasn't being renewed? Maybe, like Favre, his best friend as he gets to be the oldest guy on the team will be some equipment guy.

I suspect getting Philbin back will soften any misgivings #12 has about losing Van Pelt.

Watch this interview of AR on the Dan Patrick show especially near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEOA4GfRLzc

BZnDallas
02-02-2018, 11:13 AM

You're grasping at straws Rut. Im all about criticism, but comparing Aaron to BF or TO is laughable. Criticism actually has to be warranted for it to work. Otherwise you look silly. Silly! Silly! The arrogant label works, bc its true.

This doesn't mean he won't become a Diva in later years. Especially if more and more grievances like this occur. But this one comment doesnt do it.

BZnDallas
02-02-2018, 11:21 AM

:bclap:

mraynrand
02-02-2018, 11:26 AM
I suspect getting Philbin back will soften any misgivings #12 has about losing Van Pelt.

Watch this interview of AR on the Dan Patrick show especially near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEOA4GfRLzc

I like how Rodgers talked abut changing that catch rule on the sideline and end zone. I think that's the right way to go.

texaspackerbacker
02-02-2018, 11:26 AM
What's that expression? It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you? Well, it's not "diva" if you really did get left out of the discussion and should have been consulted. Just the same, it really didn't seem like he made a big deal about it - just responding to a "stir up trouble" type question from some media asshole.

Zool
02-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Does he have his own locker room yet? What is his stance on Crocs?

pbmax
02-02-2018, 11:32 AM
You always edit the Crocs out of your dic pic.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2018, 01:04 PM
" I heard him talk about wanting to get the defense back to a championship level. That's real diva..... " BZnDallas

That's just in my view common sense. The Packer Defense sucks.

That bottom NFL Tier defense places, over the TOP too much pressure, on the Aaron Rodgers led 'O'.

Comment: All the stuff on Aaron Rodgers former QB's Coach Alex Van Pelt leaving the Packers to secure a promotion; and 'in fact' not getting one as he signed as the Bengals QB Coach. Leaves it open to some speculation and why MM actually allowed Alex Van Pelt to leave?

I feel MM used former QB's Coach Van Pelt as a Scapegoat and how Backup QB Brett Hundley didn't perform reliably. That was typical Mike McCarthy and wringing his hands of responsibility.

I addition:

Mike McCarthy made other Coaching FIRES that made little sense i.e. Assistant Linebacker Coach Scott McCurley and his DL Coach Mike Trgovac when they were two of Packer HC Mike McCarthy's strongest position coaches in 2017.

" The Packers hired Giants assistant Frank Cignetti Jr. as their new quarterbacks coach." Article and as it transpired.

Comment: I consider that a weak hire. Hiring someone because you've known him for 3 decades doesn't translate as 'he's the best man for the job'.

Well said, WB.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-02-2018, 01:13 PM
I was Favre's biggest fan not named Nutz, but as time passed, I've grown fond of A-Rod. Love his game. Love where he stands FYI-wise. Love the fact that the beautiful and just Daenerys Targaryen is his favorite Game of Thrones character, although mine's Tyrion Lannister.

Is the Great Arm of Butte a diva? Fuck nah, imhso.

Vincenzo
02-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Now that right there is very funny!

gbgary
02-02-2018, 01:32 PM
it's danica's influence.

hoosier
02-02-2018, 01:34 PM
What's that expression? It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you? Well, it's not "diva" if you really did get left out of the discussion and should have been consulted. Just the same, it really didn't seem like he made a big deal about it - just responding to a "stir up trouble" type question from some media asshole.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Should Rodgers get consulted on coaching staff changes? Do they ask Ty Montgomery if he'd prefer to work with RB coach A or B? Aaron's feelings are hurt because they didn't ask his opinion, but Aaron has thin skin. This particular consult, while it could conceivably happen, is not part of the professional code and he's not entitled to it.

Cheesehead Craig
02-02-2018, 01:34 PM
it's danica's influence.

Once he starts talking in circles, then we can clearly see that.

gbgary
02-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Once he starts talking in circles, then we can clearly see that.

counter clockwise circles.

mraynrand
02-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Should Rodgers get consulted on coaching staff changes? Do they ask Ty Montgomery if he'd prefer to work with RB coach A or B? Aaron's feelings are hurt because they didn't ask his opinion, but Aaron has thin skin. This particular consult, while it could conceivably happen, is not part of the professional code and he's not entitled to it.

I agree. Yet I still can't imagine that Rodgers didn't see this coming - or at least know there was a pretty good chance Van Pelt would be gone.

Actually, if you want to prevent more diva behavior, not telling him is probably the right call.

pbmax
02-02-2018, 02:23 PM

I tend to think you should, even if it feeds into a sense of entitlement, because if you are going to avoid Favre-A-Polooza redux in 2022, you need a good working relationship.

Tony Oday
02-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Rodgers is the short term franchise. Make him happy and don't let him sign with the damn Vikings.

gbgary
02-02-2018, 04:42 PM
should trade him to cle for their 1st's ++. that'll learn him.

Teamcheez1
02-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Rodgers is the short term franchise. Make him happy and don't let him sign with the damn Vikings.

We'll trade him to the Jets for the last two years of his contract first.

texaspackerbacker
02-02-2018, 05:34 PM
What did Rodgers say that made him sound "thin-skinned" or having "hurt feelings"? Nothing as I read it.

He merely answered a stupid question from some God damned media troublemaker. Anybody seeing this as a big deal at all should get over it.

pbmax
02-03-2018, 09:28 AM
I think they could trade him to the Browns for Joe Thomas.

BZnDallas
02-03-2018, 10:13 AM
I think they could trade him to the Browns for Joe Thomas.

We ALL know he's gonna end up in Minnesota. Might as well trade him for Rhodes, Diggs and their no. 1.

mraynrand
02-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Joe was on the radio the other day. It really sounded like he was the major voice supporting Hue Jackson. Literally said that it was impossible for Hue to succeed when the front office was doing everything they could to make it impossible to win. Anyway, the point is that he seemed committed to stay. But I guess that means nothing except it might cost a little more to get him.

Rutnstrut
02-03-2018, 02:52 PM
What he said was not as diva like. The fact that he aired it out in public at all was very diva like. Call it what you want. I don't mind difficult behavior when a player can back it up on the field. But to deny that Rodgers can be whiny or diva like at times is just proof that the kool-aid affects your vision.

hoosier
02-03-2018, 09:46 PM
I tend to think you should, even if it feeds into a sense of entitlement, because if you are going to avoid Favre-A-Polooza redux in 2022, you need a good working relationship.

If you consult with him and then decide to go in a different direction from what he wants, you risk creating an even bigger Palooza. You go from ignore to diss. I dunno, maybe this is an offshoot of the supposed rift between AR and MM: the QB coach position is one of the tentacles used by the head coach to keep the QB in line, and the QB resents being told what to do.

hoosier
02-03-2018, 09:47 PM
I agree. Yet I still can't imagine that Rodgers didn't see this coming - or at least know there was a pretty good chance Van Pelt would be gone.

Actually, if you want to prevent more diva behavior, not telling him is probably the right call.

Yup, easier to apologize than "consult" and ignore.

pbmax
02-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Yup, easier to apologize than "consult" and ignore.

You don't ask, you give him a heads up and let him vent.

red
02-04-2018, 10:26 AM
a change needed to be made, a-rods play has regressed lately and the only other QB on the team sucked when the team needed him

so the QB coach wasn't exactly doing a great job

we don't need a QB coach whos gonna be good buddies with the QBs, we need one that is willing to tell them when they fuck up or aren't doing things the right way.

before van pelt they were trying to get the ball out of a-rods hands in 2.5 seconds. we need to get back to those days

the bad news is that the new guy has been coaching eli the last 2 years and eli has been terrible under him, well not terrible, but not great either

Joemailman
02-04-2018, 11:17 AM
a change needed to be made, a-rods play has regressed lately and the only other QB on the team sucked when the team needed him

so the QB coach wasn't exactly doing a great job

we don't need a QB coach whos gonna be good buddies with the QBs, we need one that is willing to tell them when they fuck up or aren't doing things the right way.

before van pelt they were trying to get the ball out of a-rods hands in 2.5 seconds. we need to get back to those days

the bad news is that the new guy has been coaching eli the last 2 years and eli has been terrible under him, well not terrible, but not great either

I think Hundley's lack of being prepared to start when needed is what got Van Pelt fired (if he was fired).

Manning was decent in 2016. This year their WR corp was wiped out by injuries. I wouldn't judge the coach too harshly for his performance. Plus, Manning is 37. He might be on the downside of his career. Mannings passer ratings the past 2 year were 86.0 and 80.4. His career passer rating is 83.5. He's never been in the elite class of QB's despite his 2 rings.

Pugger
02-04-2018, 11:18 AM
I think Rodgers was disappointed McCarthy didn't consult with him before he hired Cignetti. #12 was stupid to talk about that to the press no matter what he was asked. Rodgers knew Van Pelt was leaving. Unfortunately for Alex his work with Hundley didn't do him any favors so he didn't get a OC job like he wanted.

Pugger
02-04-2018, 11:19 AM
I think Hundley's lack of being prepared to start when needed is what got Van Pelt fired (if he was fired).

Manning was decent in 2016. This year their WR corp was wiped out by injuries. I wouldn't judge the coach too harshly for his performance. Plus, Manning is 37. He might be on the downside of his career. Mannings passer ratings the past 2 year were 86.0 and 80.4. His career passer rating is 83.5. He's never been in the elite class of QB's despite his 2 rings.

No he wasn't fired. McCarthy offered him a contract but Van Pelt wanted to pursue an OC job elsewhere.

red
02-04-2018, 11:25 AM
No he wasn't fired. McCarthy offered him a contract but Van Pelt wanted to pursue an OC job elsewhere.

thats what the story from the team and van pelt were

if they wanted to allow van pelt to save some face, this is the story they would use

also, has anyone heard any buzz what so ever about him becoming an OC anywhere? or even any interest?

i call total BS on the story, he was canned

pbmax
02-04-2018, 12:41 PM

if they wanted to allow van pelt to save some face, this is the story they would use

also, has anyone heard any buzz what so ever about him becoming an OC anywhere? or even any interest?

It was announced before he was fired. It was covered last year. This wasn't something they invented after he was let go.

He WAS not signed to a new deal, so the Packers did decide to move on. Result same but no firing.

mraynrand
02-04-2018, 02:44 PM
You don't ask, you give him a heads up

I agree.

But not renewing his contract is a pretty good tell.

Joemailman
02-04-2018, 04:11 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/229493/aaron-rodgers-and-alex-van-pelt-hugs-tears-and-the-packers-most-important-relationship

Interesting story from last year after beating Dallas in playoffs about the relationship between Rodgers and Van Pelt. Sheds some light about why Rodgers might have reacted as he did.

Pugger
02-04-2018, 07:30 PM

Oh, Jason Wilde said Van Pelt didn't sign an extension because he wanted out so he could pursue a OC job elsewhere.

pbmax
02-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Oh, Jason Wilde said Van Pelt didn't sign an extension because he wanted out so he could pursue a OC job elsewhere.

That is true, it was reported before this season began. But it doesn't stop Van Pelt from wanting to come back to the Packers when he did not get an OC job.

And McCarthy did not hire him back.

woodbuck27
02-04-2018, 09:45 PM

MM wouldn't do anything but tell the exact TRUTH would he !?

The weird thing and Mike McCarthy there are too many in here that actually cannot see that Punk for what he is.

Mike McCarthy and now Mark Murphy and tied to MM are the WEAKEST LINKS.

I hope so very much that Mike McCarthy gets canned after next Season.

Rastak
02-04-2018, 09:55 PM
That is true, it was reported before this season began. But it doesn't stop Van Pelt from wanting to come back to the Packers when he did not get an OC job.

Yup, them is the facts.

woodbuck27
02-04-2018, 09:58 PM

Nailed it.

So instead Mike McCarthy takes a QB Coach, from of all places, the NY Giants Organization; as if last Season recommended that. As if that Guy has the Resume and credentials for the job as the New Packers QB's Coach.

Ohh MM and he go way back to the 1980's. Not any reason of importance and essential criteria to hire anybody.

MM based that hire on the recommendation of former NY Giants HC Ben McAdoo; who may have embarrassed himself permanently out of any higher Position and Coaching in the NFL again. Ben McAdoo may go down in NFL History as being the NFL Head Coach that made the biggest blunder in NFL History benching Eli Manning for a QB that can't throw dirt.

Frankly Mike McCarthy will soon run out of excuses. He's certainly not fooling Aaron Rodgers.

ThunderDan
02-04-2018, 10:03 PM

If someone did that in my company, I would fire him right away. If we somehow came to a 1 year deal and he was going to look elsewhere, when he couldn’t find a job with another company I wouldn’t take him back.

Van Pelt made it know he wanted to be OC elsewhere. His gamble didn’t work out.

pbmax
02-04-2018, 10:06 PM
If someone did that in my company, I would fire him right away. If we somehow came to a 1 year deal and he was going to look elsewhere, when he couldn’t find a job with another company I wouldn’t take him back.

Van Pelt made it know he wanted to be OC elsewhere. His gamble didn’t work out.

Kinda depends on the circumstance, doesn't it?

If the guy is that replaceable, why are you signing two year deals and keeping him from interviewing?

Take him back if he is the best guy, don't replace him with some former Schottenheimer coach.

ThunderDan
02-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Kinda depends on the circumstance, doesn't it?

If the guy is that replaceable, why are you signing two year deals and keeping him from interviewing?

Take him back if he is the best guy, don't replace him with some former Schottenheimer coach.

If we rehired him, he would jump at the first opportunity to another team. No chance to develop continuity long-term. Get someone new who will be in GB for a while who wants to be here.

woodbuck27
02-04-2018, 10:15 PM
If we rehired him, he would jump at the first opportunity to another team. No chance to develop continuity long-term. Get someone new who will be in GB for a while who wants to be here.

Someone who might have to put up with MM.

DONE!

ThunderDan
02-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Someone who might have to put up with MM.

DONE!

This is nonsense. Of course he has to put up with MM. MM is the head coach.

mraynrand
02-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Ben McAdoo may go down in NFL History as being the NFL Head Coach that made the biggest blunder in NFL History benching Eli Manning for a QB that can't throw dirt.

this seems like exaggeration.

woodbuck27
02-04-2018, 10:31 PM

Really ! :cnf:

mraynrand
02-04-2018, 10:33 PM

wait, do we know for certain he wanted to come back if he didn't get OC job? Maybe he wanted the Packer OC job and that's why he won't come back. My view is alterable subject to new info.

pbmax
02-05-2018, 07:19 AM
wait, do we know for certain he wanted to come back if he didn't get OC job? Maybe he wanted the Packer OC job and that's why he won't come back. My view is alterable subject to new info.

Certainly possible. Though this view means that Rodgers probably knows why, but is publicly agitating about not being told.

Pugger
02-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Woody can't stand our HC and would dance a jig if he were fired today.

pbmax
02-05-2018, 08:41 AM

I get the downside. But to improve, you must have someone new you want to develop and grow with long term. Frank Cignetti is Italian for stop gap.

woodbuck27
02-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Woody can't stand our HC and would dance a jig if he were fired today.

Packer HC Mike McCarthy is 'the WEAKEST LINK' and the Green Bay Packers ever getting to another Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers as the Packer QB.

If I could make another of me we would both dance an Irish Jig.

Instead... I'll certainly be dancing one on the day Packers (Uggghhh) HC Mike McCarthy is FIRED !

Knowing, 'as stubborn as he is'; he'll more likely cheat me and somehow quietly ride off into the Sunset.

Until then I'll just practise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIfnbVPP3SM

mraynrand
02-05-2018, 09:30 AM
I get the downside. But to improve, you must have someone new you want to develop and grow with long term. Frank Cignetti is Italian for stop gap.

This hire smells of a frightened Mob boss surrounding himself with only the most loyal of friends, regardless of ability.

Fritz
02-05-2018, 01:33 PM
I think that Aaron Rodgers being the hub of this team, and as we now know, the difference between 10-6 and 6-10, I would've asked him if he wanted Van Pelt back. If Rodgers said yes, I'd hire him back. Period.

Pugger
02-05-2018, 11:39 PM
Was Van Pelt all that great a QB coach? How come after he became Aaron's coach did Rodgers have stretches where he didn't play well? He had to tell us all to relax in 2015 because things weren't going well and he looked positively pedestrian in the second half of 2016 until he declared we'd run the table.

Smidgeon
02-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Offensively, we have to get back to what we were doing in ’11.

It wasn't just us who thought the offense got more tepid after 2011.

woodbuck27
02-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Was Van Pelt all that great a QB coach? How come after he became Aaron's coach did Rodgers have stretches where he didn't play well? He had to tell us all to relax in 2015 because things weren't going well and he looked positively pedestrian in the second half of 2016 until he declared we'd run the table.

The question (s) I propose:

A.) Did Packer HC Mike McCarthy upgrade at the QB Coaching level Vs possibly scapegoating on former Packer QB's Coach Alex Van Pelt and ultimately downgrade (at QB Coach)?

B.) Looking at the BIG PICTURE...Will the Green Bay Packers and Packer Nation ultimately suffer at the expense of Mike McCarthy's ego and personality?

Time responds to most questions.

woodbuck27
02-09-2018, 02:40 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43609/aaron-rodgers-new-qb-coach-faces-challenge-of-following-alex-van-pelt

Aaron Rodgers' new QB coach faces challenge of following Alex Van Pelt

Rob Demovsky ... ESPN Staff Writer

Pugger
02-10-2018, 10:23 AM
The question (s) I propose:

A.) Did Packer HC Mike McCarthy upgrade at the QB Coaching level Vs possibly scapegoating on former Packer QB's Coach Alex Van Pelt and ultimately downgrade (at QB Coach)?

B.) Looking at the BIG PICTURE...Will the Green Bay Packers and Packer Nation ultimately suffer at the expense of Mike McCarthy's ego and personality?

Time responds to most questions.

I thought I read/heard somewhere that it was Van Pelt who decided to let his contract run out and it was he who wanted to seek a higher offensive position elsewhere and not McCarthy.

pbmax
02-10-2018, 01:25 PM
All the world wanted McCarthy to clean house until he let four coaches go and then he was scapegoating. Same complaints after 2008. McGinn was aghast no one appeared in the press room to explain themselves. I think he came close to predicting McCarthy would have trouble securing quality assistants after that betrayal.

As usual, he was full of it. It doesn't make the new hires better, but it was still probably time.

I like the swap of Capers for Pettine most. I like Montgomery on the D line next. Like the Patriots guy they got for the LBs. I am nervous but hopeful about Whitt as DB coach/pass game coordinator. He could solve the issues or he could prove to be part of the problem.

The offensive changes look like treading water to me. Maybe Philbin had a magic effect before. But honestly the best news is that he is rebuilding his offense from the playbook up.

Joemailman
02-10-2018, 08:43 PM
All the world wanted McCarthy to clean house until he let four coaches go and then he was scapegoating. Same complaints after 2008. McGinn was aghast no one appeared in the press room to explain themselves. I think he came close to predicting McCarthy would have trouble securing quality assistants after that betrayal.

As usual, he was full of it. It doesn't make the new hires better, but it was still probably time.

I like the swap of Capers for Pettine most. I like Montgomery on the D line next. Like the Patriots guy they got for the LBs. I am nervous but hopeful about Whitt as DB coach/pass game coordinator. He could solve the issues or he could prove to be part of the problem.

The offensive changes look like treading water to me. Maybe Philbin had a magic effect before. But honestly the best news is that he is rebuilding his offense from the playbook up.

I think he's upgraded both coordinator positions. It's probably the best situation there they've had since Capers' early years here. Quite a bit has been made of Rodgers not being happy with the QB coach change. But there's not really much evidence that Van Pelt was a good QB coach. Rodgers had uncharacteristic bad stretches in 2015 and 2016, And Hundley looked unprepared in 2017. Just because a coach is popular with his players doesn't necessarily mean he's a good coach.

Pugger
02-11-2018, 07:01 AM
I think he's upgraded both coordinator positions. It's probably the best situation there they've had since Capers' early years here. Quite a bit has been made of Rodgers not being happy with the QB coach change. But there's not really much evidence that Van Pelt was a good QB coach. Rodgers had uncharacteristic bad stretches in 2015 and 2016, And Hundley looked unprepared in 2017. Just because a coach is popular with his players doesn't necessarily mean he's a good coach.

this

Bretsky
02-11-2018, 10:12 AM
this

THIS X2

Fritz
02-11-2018, 10:35 AM

I don't care if Van Pelt is a really good coach; I care that the most important employee in the whole franchise is happy. Hell, if Rodgers said he wanted his QB coach to blow him, I'd offer up any of a number of Packerrats who think they know all to take the position.

pbmax
02-11-2018, 10:38 AM

The problems, which have been growing since 2011 on offense, definitely extend beyond the QB coach. I think they extend beyond the offensive coordinator but as I don't actually know the precise impact of the OC under McCarthy (other than installing a practice plan during the week and planning meetings) I can't be sure about this one.

Its not going to be fixed by the coordinator. The Head Coach is going to have to allow his offense to change significantly. From the no huddle and tempo to throwing behind the LOS, changes made in the last six years have been a pretty mixed bag and have only partially staved off a decline. As a body of work, its hard to complain. But as an Offense dominant team, its not been enough.

I know I am beginning to sound like wist, but go back and watch the playoff game versus the 49ers in Green Bay. It wasn't the defense that failed to deliver (though they had a spectacular fail at the end). It was the offense failing to make mincemeat out of a good defense.

Pugger
02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
I don't care if Van Pelt is a really good coach; I care that the most important employee in the whole franchise is happy. Hell, if Rodgers said he wanted his QB coach to blow him, I'd offer up any of a number of Packerrats who think they know all to take the position.

I want the most important employee in the whole franchise to play up to his considerable abilities and not put himself in peril so we don't have a repeat of 2017. Even the best players need good coaching.

Fritz
02-11-2018, 03:58 PM
I agree, but I want the dude to be a happy camper, lest he think about playing on the west coast...

Pugger
02-11-2018, 11:47 PM
I agree, but I want the dude to be a happy camper, lest he think about playing on the west coast...

The only way he plays on the west coast is if we release him or trade him. If we start winning again Rodgers isn't going to pine for Van Pelt so much.

Fritz
02-13-2018, 02:33 PM
You don't think he might not play out his contract here and hit the open market? Imagine how large that franchise tag would get the second time around...at some point, he could break the team's neck.

Pugger
02-13-2018, 10:59 PM
You don't think he might not play out his contract here and hit the open market? Imagine how large that franchise tag would get the second time around...at some point, he could break the team's neck.

No I don't. Unless his play goes to hell we'll tag him first. QBs with his talents don't grow on trees. Of course if we draft his replacement like Ted did in 2005 we'll trade him and not let him walk and get nothing in return.

bobblehead
02-14-2018, 09:12 AM
The problems, which have been growing since 2011 on offense, definitely extend beyond the QB coach. I think they extend beyond the offensive coordinator but as I don't actually know the precise impact of the OC under McCarthy (other than installing a practice plan during the week and planning meetings) I can't be sure about this one.

Its not going to be fixed by the coordinator. The Head Coach is going to have to allow his offense to change significantly. From the no huddle and tempo to throwing behind the LOS, changes made in the last six years have been a pretty mixed bag and have only partially staved off a decline. As a body of work, its hard to complain. But as an Offense dominant team, its not been enough.

I know I am beginning to sound like wist, but go back and watch the playoff game versus the 49ers in Green Bay. It wasn't the defense that failed to deliver (though they had a spectacular fail at the end). It was the offense failing to make mincemeat out of a good defense.

I agree this has to happen. The game is fluid and there is a reason coaches don't last real long. They get set in their ways and the game adjusts around them. Only the very best manage to change with it. The MM offense is stale and hasn't changed a bit. They have the perfect RB for todays game in Montgomery, but he spent most his time pass blocking cuz "thats the way I've always done it"

Pugger
02-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Montgomery might not be hearty enough to play RB. He can't stay healthy so perhaps with the emergence of Jones and Williams we can move Ty back to WR?

When executed correctly with AR at the helm McCarthy's offense is fine. My beef - besides AR not throwing to his backs enough - is why can't our WRs get separation while other teams' pedestrian guys can? I'm hoping our new WR coach can fix some of these issues so Aaron doesn't have to hold onto the ball forever while scrambling around back there putting himself in peril.

bobblehead
02-14-2018, 08:26 PM
Montgomery might not be hearty enough to play RB. He can't stay healthy so perhaps with the emergence of Jones and Williams we can move Ty back to WR?

When executed correctly with AR at the helm McCarthy's offense is fine. My beef - besides AR not throwing to his backs enough - is why can't our WRs get separation while other teams' pedestrian guys can? I'm hoping our new WR coach can fix some of these issues so Aaron doesn't have to hold onto the ball forever while scrambling around back there putting himself in peril.

Your talking about the jones and williams that both got hurt as well right? Now days in the NFL you need a stable.

Rutnstrut
02-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Your talking about the jones and williams that both got hurt as well right? Now days in the NFL you need a stable.

As long as Monty isn't part of that stable. I have said from the start of the Monty experiment, he can't cut it as a full time RB. Hell as little as stubby utilizes RB's Monty should be able to stay healthy no problem. Since he can't, get rid of him and bring someone like Blount in.

Fritz
02-15-2018, 03:28 PM
You don't need a stable of running backs, you need a herd.

pbmax
02-15-2018, 05:31 PM
You don't need a stable of running backs, you need a herd.

Not a murder of running backs?

swede
02-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Not a murder of running backs?

Are we filing this under "crow" or "collective noun" memes?

[Edit] We do need a pod of linemen in the next draft.

pbmax
02-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Are we filing this under "crow" or "collective noun" memes?

Last year at RB was unusual in that I felt no temptation toward violence when M3 ran the ball.

texaspackerbacker
02-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Last year at RB was unusual in that I felt no temptation toward violence when M3 ran the ball.

I couldn't have said that better!

Imagine what those guys can do as a change of pace to Rodgers throwing the ball.

Rutnstrut
02-17-2018, 10:04 PM
I couldn't have said that better!

Imagine what those guys can do as a change of pace to Rodgers throwing the ball.

Except that stubby doesn't want a change of pace if Rodgers is in there.

Pugger
02-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Except that stubby doesn't want a change of pace if Rodgers is in there.

Rodgers always has the option to change the play MM calls so we really don't know for sure if Mike wants to run it more or not.

Rutnstrut
02-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Rodgers always has the option to change the play MM calls so we really don't know for sure if Mike wants to run it more or not.

He doesn't, or he would have ran it 98.86666% of the time with Hundley.

woodbuck27
02-18-2018, 08:33 PM
I want the most important employee in the whole franchise to play up to his considerable abilities and not put himself in peril so we don't have a repeat of 2017. Even the best players need good coaching.

Mike McCarthy Fired two and let go another or three of his most productive Coaches (his 2017 Inside Linebackers and DL and QB Coaches)

What we needed to see or learn is that the Green Bay Packers are revamping their approach to strengthening and conditioning. We are always seeing the Green Bay Packer Roster amongst the most injured of by far most NFL Teams.

We need to see a strong OL or Aaron Rodgers is going to be forced out of the Pocket too much.

We need to see an addition at the WR Position that's a REAL deep threat.

We need to see a TE that can block and extent the Field.

We need to see more at the LBer Position and certainly some much more improved PASS RUSH to help if he's retained CM III look worthwhile paying.

We need a Shutdown CB but if 'the Pass Rush' can be certainly upgraded, then the Secondary will have less heat on it and therefore look better.