PDA

View Full Version : What tricks are the Packers up to?

ahaha
09-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Since the Packers haven't practiced in front of the media in over a week, I can't help but speculate on what new wrinkles they might be developing for the West Coast Offense. Here is my crazy theory.

The decision to keep four tight ends and only four receivers has me intrigued. Plus, they have a TE on the practice squad. If the packers believe they have this many good TE's, they must be planning a lot of two TE sets. But, could they possibly be working on a three TE set? Does the opposing defense bring in a nickel package that could be exploited by bringing one in motion to block like a fullback?(They experimented with TE's as fullbacks in the preseason) Would the defense bring in an extra linebacker(presuming most teams don't have 4 good linebackers that can cover) and the packers then exploit that with 2 of the TE's going out for a pass? Maybe this is hairbrained, but with four decent TE's it seems plausible to me.

Any other ideas, or crazy speculation?

]{ilr]3
09-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I am looking foward to Sunday and seeing what they bring. Of course that is unless its not going to be shown in my area! That would really piss me off, but it happens alot :cry:

mmmdk
09-09-2006, 12:21 PM
The TE will be big part of the offense, so said Bubba Franks on packers.com! I expect they'll be big part of protecting Favre plus might play some FB. Also, TEs should have their share of passes thrown to them.

]{ilr]3
09-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Of course for any of this to work the O-line has to step up big time for pass protection and in the Zone Blocking.

Rastak
09-09-2006, 12:31 PM
{ilr]3]Of course for any of this to work the O-line has to step up big time for pass protection and in the Zone Blocking.

KFFL mentioned Clifton is questionable....I surprised they didn't call it probable....

Packers | Clifton misses practice Friday
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:30:29 -0700

Green Bay Packers OT Chad Clifton (illness) missed practice Friday, Sept. 8, and but is expected to play Week 1. He is listed as questionable for the game.

ahaha
09-09-2006, 12:36 PM
{ilr]3]Of course for any of this to work the O-line has to step up big time for pass protection and in the Zone Blocking.

Very true!
But I started this thread for people to give their ideas, crazy or feasable, on what wrinkles the Pack might be working on in their closed practices. I'm just assuming, for arguments sake, that the line will be adequete.

Patler
09-09-2006, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the fact they kept 4 TEs. Basically, I think they looked at the WRs and TEs almost as a single group and simply kept the best players. Its not like they let a promising WR go just to keep another TE.

Before camp MM insisted he would keep 6 WRs, but that was when he expected something from players like Boerigter, Gardner and Rogers. With a limited roster, usually 8 or 9 spots go to the WRs and TEs. I believe they felt Humphrey has more potential than Boerigter, Gardner or Rogers. Alcorn was close to Humphrey and shows good hands. Keeping him on the practice squad makes sense so he can replace Martin when Martin gets his annual hamstring injury.

ahaha
09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the fact they kept 4 TEs. Basically, I think they looked at the WRs and TEs almost as a single group and simply kept the best players. Its not like they let a promising WR go just to keep another TE.

Before camp MM insisted he would keep 6 WRs, but that was when he expected something from players like Boerigter, Gardner and Rogers. With a limited roster, usually 8 or 9 spots go to the WRs and TEs. I believe they felt Humphrey has more potential than Boerigter, Gardner or Rogers. Alcorn was close to Humphrey and shows good hands. Keeping him on the practice squad makes sense so he can replace Martin when Martin gets his annual hamstring injury.

You're probably right, I just like to fantasize.
One thing is for sure, this passing offense will be about attacking the middle of the field.

Tarlam!
09-09-2006, 03:30 PM

O.K., see, NOW you have me moving to the Graily thread again. :oops:

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 03:54 PM

O.K., see, NOW you have me moving to the Graily thread again. :oops:

Tarlam!

I want to see that trick. . . where after a Favre handoff to Ahman Green. . .

There's . . this explosion and a Big Puff of Black Smoke appears. . .

less than 10 seconds later . . . to the delight of Packer fans.

There's Ahman . . . doing " the Lambeau Leap ". :mrgreen:

ahaha
09-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Notre Dame ran some three TE set today. I didn't notice if they were doing it consistently, but their main tight end is having an awesome first half.