PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Coming Extension

Pages : [1] 2

pbmax
02-28-2018, 08:44 AM
The Packers carried over $3,934,518 in cap space from last season, according to the NFL Players Association. It puts the Packers at $15.9 million under the projected 2018 cap, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Hasn't this number been much higher elsewhere?

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43820/aaron-rodgers-can-name-his-price-but-at-what-cost-to-packers-chances

Maybe not. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Total Cap Liabilities: $165,319,167
Top 51: $160,120,634
Team Cap Space: $16,476,151

pbmax
02-28-2018, 08:46 AM
But by no means, don't consider expanding your choice of offenses to run based on QBs available.

“Your quarterback is your partner. At some point when we sat down with Tony we told him, ‘You just need to decide how much of this you want, what you think is fair.’ The rest of it, they know us, we’re going to spend it on teammates. So I think that’s probably what every team with a top quarterback faces. It’s up to them. It’s, 'How much of this do you want?'”

red
02-28-2018, 09:28 AM
its the brady rule, but then of course if you take less money to help your team improve, the team better damn well go out with that money and try to improve the team

so, if you're a-rod, what do you do? cause we know in the past he's been a it pissed about the team not doing enough to help him. do you assume its just gonna be business as usual? in that case, he should take as much money as he can get because he's pretty much the entire team. or do you hope the new GM will actually be different and spend n free agents, then he might want to takeless

Tony Oday
02-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Take 20 mil guaranteed for 5 years.

red
02-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Take 20 mil guaranteed for 5 years.

That would be a pay cut

pbmax
02-28-2018, 01:41 PM
That would be a pay cut

Not if fully guaranteed. Would be milestone of $100 mil fully guaranteed.

Unless Murphy, Gutekunst and Ball are prepared to share with Rodgers the actual 5 year plan (they might, but I doubt it) there is absolutely no reason to take less than market value.

Except for the rare guaranteed contract. That's Sean Gilbert money right there. :lol:

jklowan
02-28-2018, 02:30 PM
I do not get this, he has two years left and has had now 2 broken collar bones. I say wait it out and spend the money on DEFENSE HELP this off season. Extend him after next season so he proves he can stay healthy and maybe a deep playoff run. Unless this extension is gonna save money on this years cap, I feel we have many other pressing needs. How about we figure out what we're doing at receiver so we free up more money, upgrade the CB spot ,TE help and improve the LB's & OL

red
02-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Not if fully guaranteed. Would be milestone of $100 mil fully guaranteed.

Unless Murphy, Gutekunst and Ball are prepared to share with Rodgers the actual 5 year plan (they might, but I doubt it) there is absolutely no reason to take less than market value.

Except for the rare guaranteed contract. That's Sean Gilbert money right there. :lol:

he will be making 20.5 million in cash this year (no prorated salary cap BS), its all salary

and over 21 million in 2019, all salary

whenever he signs his new contact, this off season or next, he's gonna get a 50 million plus signing bonus

so, if he waits until after the 2019 season, he'll pocket just over 90 million in about 2 years. if he were to sign that 5 year 100 million guaranteed contract, he will have about 40 million in that same amount of time

this is what happens when you backload huge contracts, aaron is into the funny money area,but theres no way the team will ever cut him, so he just has to sit back and rake in the money. i doubt he wants a new deal this year, its in the teams best interest to re do the deal, but not his

Zool
02-28-2018, 06:34 PM
His deal won’t replace the 2018 and 2019 salary. He will sign a 3-4 year extension with a big ass signing bonus due at signing. The only question is how much he makes 2020-2022/2023. I don’t even want to guess at the type of Monopoly money salary he’ll be getting. $30mil each?

pbmax
02-28-2018, 08:21 PM
he will be making 20.5 million in cash this year (no prorated salary cap BS), its all salary

and over 21 million in 2019, all salary

whenever he signs his new contact, this off season or next, he's gonna get a 50 million plus signing bonus

so, if he waits until after the 2019 season, he'll pocket just over 90 million in about 2 years. if he were to sign that 5 year 100 million guaranteed contract, he will have about 40 million in that same amount of time

this is what happens when you backload huge contracts, aaron is into the funny money area,but theres no way the team will ever cut him, so he just has to sit back and rake in the money. i doubt he wants a new deal this year, its in the teams best interest to re do the deal, but not his

Neither 18 or 19 are guaranteed, so there is risk, even if its small.

Maybe the guaranteed number needs to be $120 mil.

Pugger
02-28-2018, 10:34 PM
If I were him I wouldn't be in any hurry. He should wait and see what Brees and Cousins signs for first.

Joemailman
02-28-2018, 10:58 PM
If I were him I wouldn't be in any hurry. He should wait and see what Brees and Cousins signs for first.

In addition to that, the Packers should have more salary cap room following the 2018 season.

beveaux1
03-01-2018, 08:01 AM
He will be signed this offseason. My guess is that it will be in excess of 30 million per year with most of his contract guaranteed. We will be left with enough cap room for our 12 draft picks and a middling free agent or two bargain basement free agents. Another prediction is that Burnett will not be re-signed and Nelson, Cobb, and Matthews will return next year.

pbmax
03-01-2018, 08:43 AM
In addition to that, the Packers should have more salary cap room following the 2018 season.

They will. But the Packers want this done now because the leverage increasingly goes to the QB the closer he gets to his last season. So you structure the deal to hit big when you anticipate the most room available, after Matthews and Nelson's contracts expire.

Fritz
03-01-2018, 12:03 PM

I also wonder if he ever dreams of playing in a warmer-weather city. Like that state he's from, California. Don't they have three NFL teams, plus San Francisco?

red
03-01-2018, 01:46 PM
my problem with all this is, where does it end?

everyone is bitching that he should be the highest paid player in football, because he's the most important player to his team.

he just completed year 3 of a 5 year deal, that at the time made him the highest paid player in football. people were calling for him to get a new deal before this last season

if we give him a deal worth 30 million a year, the next starting QB to sign a new deal is gonna break that mark, then people will bitch about how a-rod is underpaid again

are we suppose to redo his contract every year or two to make sure he's always got the highest cap number? maybe he and the team should be signing 2 or 3 year deals instead of worthless 5 year deals that need to be redone after 2 years

i see no reason what so ever to rush a new deal with 2 years left on the current deal from a teams perspective

pbmax
03-01-2018, 02:10 PM
my problem with all this is, where does it end?

everyone is bitching that he should be the highest paid player in football, because he's the most important player to his team.

he just completed year 3 of a 5 year deal, that at the time made him the highest paid player in football. people were calling for him to get a new deal before this last season

if we give him a deal worth 30 million a year, the next starting QB to sign a new deal is gonna break that mark, then people will bitch about how a-rod is underpaid again

are we suppose to redo his contract every year or two to make sure he's always got the highest cap number? maybe he and the team should be signing 2 or 3 year deals instead of worthless 5 year deals that need to be redone after 2 years

i see no reason what so ever to rush a new deal with 2 years left on the current deal from a teams perspective

This is a concern without any evidence. Doing the QB contract two years out from the end is pretty standard.

You are also skipping two years of the current contract. They extended him in 2013. He is actually in year 5 of a 7 year deal that contained a 5 year extension. Doing a deal every 5 years isn't every two years.

woodbuck27
03-03-2018, 11:24 AM
https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth-category/athletes/nfl/

Where's Aaron Rodgers the arguably Finest Talent in the NFL today !?

Where does he expect to be?

woodbuck27
03-03-2018, 11:25 AM
They will. But the Packers want this done now because the leverage increasingly goes to the QB the closer he gets to his last season. So you structure the deal to hit big when you anticipate the most room available, after Matthews and Nelson's contracts expire.

Yes.

red
03-03-2018, 01:12 PM
i like how PFT is the one that has been banging the drum for over a year the the packers need to do right by a-rod and make him the highest paid player in football

now today florio comes out and says that the packers want to sign him ASAP before cousins and brees sign because it will be cheaper to sign him now rather then after those 2 sign

well what the hell is the point of that?

if we sign him before those two, then they will sign bigger contracts, not because they are better,but because that's how it works. and at that point a-rod would be getting "disrespected by the team" again, just like he is now

ThunderDan
03-03-2018, 05:33 PM
i like how PFT is the one that has been banging the drum for over a year the the packers need to do right by a-rod and make him the highest paid player in football

now today florio comes out and says that the packers want to sign him ASAP before cousins and brees sign because it will be cheaper to sign him now rather then after those 2 sign

if we sign him before those two, then they will sign bigger contracts, not because they are better,but because that's how it works. and at that point a-rod would be getting "disrespected by the team" again, just like he is now

Ain’t that the fucking truth.

ARod has been silent about his contract. He vaguely answers questions when asked. He knows the Packers have treated him fairly and he knows another massive deal is coming.

woodbuck27
03-04-2018, 09:39 AM

A meddling Media ... will meddle.

pbmax
04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
I don't think there is one new item here at all except that there are quotes from one of the sources. This is all material we've heard elsewhere.

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-things-can-get-contentious-aaron-rodgers-packers-044920881.html

Gutekunst has said getting this done is a priority. However, Robinson correctly points out that the Packers, should they choose to delay, do not have to do a deal now. They can think of having him under contract for 4 years (2 years on current deal + 2 years Tagged). However, that kind of reluctance to pay the going rate isn't going to sit well with the QB.

Unlike Cousins, Rodgers has been paid top dollar once, he can hold out.

Those considerations though do determine the floor to a Rodgers deal. And this article might be someone announcing they aren't happy with those numbers.

woodbuck27
04-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Hasn't this number been much higher elsewhere?

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43820/aaron-rodgers-can-name-his-price-but-at-what-cost-to-packers-chances

Maybe not. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Total Cap Liabilities: $165,319,167
Top 51: $160,120,634
Team Cap Space: $16,476,151

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

CAP Space W/All - $10,526,197

call_me_ishmael
04-17-2018, 10:13 AM
As it stands now, he has none. There’s no impending free agency. There’s no contract clause or balloon payment that might force Green Bay’s hand in extension talks. Really, the only thing Rodgers has to hold over the Packers is that he’s arguably the best player in the NFL when healthy, and he will likely continue to be the centerpiece of the franchise for at least the next half-decade.

Yep, as I mentioned earlier in this thread or a similar one, Rodgers has zero leverage. I don't really see any motivation to extend him personally if he is going to be a problem. What, is he going to hold out and kill his off-the-field earnings? That'd be fantastically stupid.

pbmax
04-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Yep, as I mentioned earlier in this thread or a similar one, Rodgers has zero leverage. I don't really see any motivation to extend him personally if he is going to be a problem. What, is he going to hold out and kill his off-the-field earnings? That'd be fantastically stupid.

Favre had leverage in 2007 and that was with Rodgers waiting in the wings with three years of prep.

He has a lot of leverage, most of it just from being the QB.

jklowan
04-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Things don't appear to be rosie in Rogers land, let the Divaness begin

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/375218/aaron-rodgers-wants-to-be-kept-in-the-loop?ls=roto:GB:topheadlines

mraynrand
04-17-2018, 10:55 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/375218/aaron-rodgers-wants-to-be-kept-in-the-loop?ls=roto:GB:topheadlines

This is the same stuff they reported before. Van Pelt, Nelson, Rodgers not 'consulted' or 'told'

I find it impossible to believe that Rodgers had no idea how the Van Pelt situation was shaking out. I still maintain that Rodgers, his friend, wanted Van Pelt to get the promotion to OC and when he didn't wasn't happy about it. He doesn't strike me as a temper-tantrum kind of guy. If he starts giving interviews while doing crunches, let me know...

Smidgeon
04-17-2018, 11:06 AM
This is the same stuff they reported before. Van Pelt, Nelson, Rodgers not 'consulted' or 'told'

I find it impossible to believe that Rodgers had no idea how the Van Pelt situation was shaking out. I still maintain that Rodgers, his friend, wanted Van Pelt to get the promotion to OC and when he didn't wasn't happy about it. He doesn't strike me as a temper-tantrum kind of guy. If he starts giving interviews while doing crunches, let me know...

And isn't the general consensus that Van Pelt forced the issue rather than M3? He didn't get the OC position and chose to move on. It seems a bit disingenuous to blame the Packers for this one (unless he's upset VP didn't get the OC spot). He should be blaming VP for that one. And Nelson? Even the fans saw that one coming a mile away.

All of this seems like smoke. But what is the smoke hiding?

mraynrand
04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
All of this seems like smoke. But what is the smoke hiding?

I would say Stubby, but with his ever-increasing girth, he's no longer hideable.

Fritz
04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
So do BabyMike think he more important than Arod?

pbmax
04-17-2018, 01:39 PM
So do BabyMike think he more important than Arod?

I don't think this is M3. Its Ball and the Packer contract way that will object to handing over guarantees like Cousins got.

But if you don't, then the upfront money needs to be very large, bracketed by what the Packers could force him to play for without a new deal. If there is tension now, its over this, not the coaches.

Rutnstrut
04-17-2018, 01:54 PM

I like Rodgers, but he's always had a diva side to him. People here just don't talk about it like they did with Favre.

red
04-17-2018, 04:14 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

CAP Space W/All - $10,526,197

cap space of top 51+ dead cap is the only number that matters, or on that site, Cap Space (w/Top 51)

so 13.886

woodbuck27
04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm seeing this a lot different that I did six weeks ago.

Aaron Rodgers is IMO not in an ideal situation after his injury last Season. He simply looks out of the loop. How can the reputed BPA in the NFL be suddenly rather obscure!? Maybe I'm seeing that incorrectly. His Ho hum manners just bother me.

To motivate him (or the best way to do so) he needed to be extended and that may come but the longer this takes doesn't mean necessarily better for him financially.

woodbuck27
04-17-2018, 04:17 PM
cap space of top 51+ dead cap is the only number that matters, or on that site, Cap Space (w/Top 51)

so 13.886

OK .... Thanks red.

red
04-17-2018, 04:23 PM
OK .... Thanks red.

over the cap has up with over 16 million in space

not sure what the difference is, and neither site has house signed yet

gbgary
04-17-2018, 09:42 PM
i don't think they should extend him until they know if he can take a substantial hit on that shoulder and be the Rodgers he's always been. anything less is a deal killer. wait until mid season or later...preferably next off-season.

Zool
04-17-2018, 10:16 PM
I like Rodgers, but he's always had a diva side to him. People here just don't talk about it like they did with Favre.

He should get his own locker room, get into a hot tub with some teenagers, and start throwing picks. People would like him more.

mraynrand
04-17-2018, 10:32 PM
He should get his own locker room, get into a hot tub with some teenagers, and start throwing picks. People would like him more.

Get in the tub. Hot Tub!

http://www.doseoffunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/eddie-murphy-celebrity_hot_tub_party023.jpg

Zool
04-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Gonna make me break out in a......COLD SWEAT! HAAIIIII

woodbuck27
04-18-2018, 11:37 AM
i don't think they should extend him until they know if he can take a substantial hit on that shoulder and be the Rodgers he's always been. anything less is a deal killer. wait until mid season or later...preferably next off-season.

YUP !

ThunderDan
04-18-2018, 09:59 PM
The reason you extend him this year is that his record breaking contract will be millions less than if we wait until next season.

mraynrand
04-18-2018, 10:20 PM

YUP !

The reason you extend him this year is that his record breaking contract will be millions less than if we wait until next season.

Buy High sell Low!

pbmax
04-18-2018, 10:45 PM
His price might go up this year if Matt Ryan signs first.

RashanGary
04-18-2018, 11:26 PM
4 new years, 112 new million

So with the last teo years of his old deal still in there

6 years
155 million
100 guaranteed
25.9 per year

I guess you could call that a hometown discount 🙄

Tony Oday
04-18-2018, 11:39 PM
F it, trade him to Cleavland for their entire draft class ;)

woodbuck27
04-19-2018, 06:54 AM

6 years
155 million
100 guaranteed
25.9 per year

I guess you could call that a hometown discount ��

His Agent (and Aaron Rodgers) will be expecting more.

mraynrand
04-19-2018, 07:19 AM
His Agent (and Aaron Rodgers) will be expecting more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BYzaDwNoE

gbgary
04-19-2018, 12:38 PM
his contract is going to be more problematic, cap space wise, than his current deal is. there hasn't been money to improve the team, and nothing will change. qb salaries aren't the only ones going up. his contract is going to be north of $30m per year fully guaranteed and he won't do anything until ryan is signed and NOW tom brady suddenly wants a new deal. other teams are passing the Packers by like they're sitting still (their moves this FA period pretty much show they ARE sitting still). they should wait until 2019 and see how he plays and go from there.

gbgary
04-19-2018, 12:43 PM

6 years
155 million
100 guaranteed
25.9 per year

I guess you could call that a hometown discount ��

he won't go for that and i don't think his body (shoulder) will last that long.

Teamcheez1
04-19-2018, 01:08 PM
I don't think we should pay much above the going rate for QB's. We have Aaron for the next 4 years whether he likes it or not. We can play out the 2 years on his contract and then 2 more using the Kirk Cousins method of franchising him. I'm not advocating this, but the likelihood of him playing at a high level for more than 4 or 5 years more is not likely.

Pay the man a market contract, which will still certainly put him at the top of salaries for at least a year, but we don't need to spend much north of $30M per year, if that.

ThunderDan
04-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Angry ARod showed up for voluntary practice today in GB. He must be really pissed to go to GB in a snowstorm for a voluntary workout.

pbmax
04-19-2018, 03:11 PM
I don't think we should pay much above the going rate for QB's. We have Aaron for the next 4 years whether he likes it or not. We can play out the 2 years on his contract and then 2 more using the Kirk Cousins method of franchising him. I'm not advocating this, but the likelihood of him playing at a high level for more than 4 or 5 years more is not likely.

Pay the man a market contract, which will still certainly put him at the top of salaries for at least a year, but we don't need to spend much north of $30M per year, if that.

Hold Out.

denverYooper
04-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Hold Out.

Also, giving the current face of the franchise the shaft doesn't seem like the best way to attract talent to GB.

woodbuck27
04-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Angry ARod showed up for voluntary practice today in GB. He must be really pissed to go to GB in a snowstorm for a voluntary workout.

:bs:

pbmax
04-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Also, giving the current face of the franchise the shaft doesn't seem like the best way to attract talent to GB.

It also makes Gutey out to be a pretty two faced guy. Publicly announce you want Rodgers done as soon as possible then hold out based on the four years of ARod plan.

Hard to say since all this talk is from Rodgers comments, not much from team. Gutey and Russ Ball could be appalled at the ask from David Dunn and Rodgers.

Or it could all be pre deal posturing.

Will be interesting.

woodbuck27
04-19-2018, 04:32 PM
It's hard to say what the Packer BRASS might do with Aaron Rodgers and contract Extension. I'm trying to get some sort of read on their collective SMARTS.

The smart move right now and Aaron Rodgers is no matter what 'the next chip is on his shoulder'.

He has to play very well and do so long into next Season and clearly demonstrate he's a lot more than 'a China Doll'.

This whole what will Aaron Rodgers get for a yearly Salary and lump sum BONUS is hardly an issue as the Packers own him for a few more Seasons.

mraynrand
04-19-2018, 05:05 PM
What was your major in College/University in:

SARCASM !?

I was his instructor.

woodbuck27
04-19-2018, 05:12 PM
I was his instructor.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/22/e0/6922e03d444b30c3d9130a24e24f861a.jpg

mraynrand
04-19-2018, 05:21 PM
^^^ Woody, don't confuse sarcasm class with lice detection/lunch class.

ThunderDan
04-19-2018, 05:35 PM
:bs:

Why don’t you try being helpful in this thread instead of the jerk off you posted?

Nothing different about my post than half of the his friends said ARod said he is being disrespected posts.

At least mine had the fact that ARod made it to a voluntary practice today after a snowstorm. I guess I should have posted the link and the ARod quotes where he said he wasn’t miffed at the Packer Brass about off-season moves. Of course the article stated ARod didn’t say he liked the moves.

mraynrand
04-19-2018, 05:36 PM
I hear extensions are coming back...

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/aaron-rodgers-of-the-green-bay-packers-poses-for-his-2008-nfl-at-picture-id81972904?k=6&m=81972904&s=612x612&w=0&h=ke1NwXOGNT8xx483qFed3xOxBXT61l6GhjSe7cmYjHA=

ThunderDan
04-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Bleacher Report is saying ARod looked great a practice today. Not sure I trust BR as a source.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748518-aaron-rodgers-reportedly-looked-ridiculous-in-practice-in-return-from-injury

ThunderDan
04-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Bleacher Report is saying ARod looked great a practice today. Not sure I trust BR as a source.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748518-aaron-rodgers-reportedly-looked-ridiculous-in-practice-in-return-from-injury

Ha ha ha.... the article is from last year. Lol.

pbmax
04-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Ha ha ha.... the article is from last year. Lol.

I don't know; he's pretty consistent.

ThunderDan
04-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Here is an article I think about today. Lol.

http://packerstalk.com/2018/04/19/aaron-rodgers-just-needs-time-to-heal/

woodbuck27
04-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Why don’t you try being helpful in this thread instead of the jerk off you posted?

Nothing different about my post than half of the his friends said ARod said he is being disrespected posts.

At least mine had the fact that ARod made it to a voluntary practice today after a snowstorm. I guess I should have posted the link and the ARod quotes where he said he wasn’t miffed at the Packer Brass about off-season moves. Of course the article stated ARod didn’t say he liked the moves.

I'm not interested in the drama and what the Packer Brass may or won't do and Aaron Rodgers or anything else. That's a waste of energy.

I'm going to assess and base any of my analysis on what they might have and did do.

mraynrand
04-19-2018, 06:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtGQnyPZ6g

woodbuck27
04-19-2018, 06:12 PM
Here is an article I think about today. Lol.

http://packerstalk.com/2018/04/19/aaron-rodgers-just-needs-time-to-heal/

Read it.

Thanks.

gbgary
04-20-2018, 11:09 AM
It also makes Gutey out to be a pretty two faced guy. Publicly announce you want Rodgers done as soon as possible then hold out based on the four years of ARod plan.

Hard to say since all this talk is from Rodgers comments, not much from team. Gutey and Russ Ball could be appalled at the ask from David Dunn and Rodgers.

Or it could all be pre deal posturing.

Will be interesting.

yup. Rodgers was waiting for ryan to do his deal but now that brady has entered the picture it could be a long time...maybe enough to see him fall down in practice and if he can get up.

pbmax
04-20-2018, 11:53 AM
yup. Rodgers was waiting for ryan to do his deal but now that brady has entered the picture it could be a long time...maybe enough to see him fall down in practice and if he can get up.

I think Rodgers and the Packers were waiting for Cousins to do his deal since a FA is going to be the new benchmark. Not sure by their comments it was clear at all they were waiting for Ryan.

I don't think you can count on Brady for anything other than to eliminate the team discount part of the discussion: "Look what Brady did for Belichick" is not going to fly much longer. Pats vets are still mad about Butler on the bench in the Super Bowl. And Brady is reportedly mad that his last discount deal only brought in Cooks for one year and then lost him Amendola this year. It was supposed to help Bill bring in more WR talent.

woodbuck27
04-20-2018, 12:30 PM
I think Rodgers and the Packers were waiting for Cousins to do his deal since a FA is going to be the new benchmark. Not sure by their comments it was clear at all they were waiting for Ryan.

I don't think you can count on Brady for anything other than to eliminate the team discount part of the discussion: "Look what Brady did for Belichick" is not going to fly much longer. Pats vets are still mad about Butler on the bench in the Super Bowl. And Brady is reportedly mad that his last discount deal only brought in Cooks for one year and then lost him Amendola this year. It was supposed to help Bill bring in or WR talent.

Brandin Cooks Stat's:

http://www.nfl.com/player/brandincooks/2543498/careerstats

I watched Brandin Cooks make some outstanding plays for the Pat's last Season and I believe he'll make a major contribution to the RAMS this Season.

I was surprised that Belichick allowed him to get away.

Things are not great in New England.

mraynrand
04-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Things are not great in New England.

Wha? Say it ain't so!

Teamcheez1
04-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Tom Brady will be 41 years old when the season starts. I'm sorry, but the Patriots are not going to fork over Rodgers or even Cousins money for him. He isn't worth the risk at that age.

woodbuck27
04-21-2018, 12:11 AM
Tom Brady will be 41 years old when the season starts. I'm sorry, but the Patriots are not going to fork over Rodgers or even Cousins money for him. He isn't worth the risk at that age.

I predict that:

The days of the highly paid Franchise QB are coming to and.

I can see the NFL Team GM's possibly colluding on that possibility; and 'of course' they wouldn't be !

What happens with Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and their Contracts will be interesting.

The QB slice of the NFL Team CAP Pie !

Is it going to shrink?

Fritz
04-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Oh, for crying out loud - sign Rodgers to his extension, knowing he will eat up a lot of cap money and knowing you have the best player in football leading your team at the most important position.

Then fill in around him, cross your fingers regarding injuries, and see what happens.

gbgary
04-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Oh, for crying out loud - sign Rodgers to his extension, knowing he will eat up a lot of cap money and knowing you have the best player in football leading your team at the most important position.

Then fill in around him, cross your fingers regarding injuries, and see what happens.

so...status quo. http://www.fototime.com/CF4C358C1C0A43A/orig.gif

pbmax
04-21-2018, 07:12 PM

It won't be very quo. Because you try to keep him on a tag and he won't be playing anymore. He might hold out next year.

Better hope Kizer is the future or that Rodgers gets hurt again so you can land a top 5 pick.

Fritz
04-22-2018, 11:11 AM

In the theory you're using, yes. But now you have a different guy filling in around Rodgers. So for some people, that makes it a better possibility. Me, I think last year's 7-9 colored perceptions to the point people forget that TT did not just poop the bed all the time. They were one Mike McCarthy shriveled scrotum away from a second Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
04-22-2018, 11:57 AM
In the theory you're using, yes. But now you have a different guy filling in around Rodgers. So for some people, that makes it a better possibility. Me, I think last year's 7-9 colored perceptions to the point people forget that TT did not just poop the bed all the time. They were one Mike McCarthy shriveled scrotum away from a second Super Bowl.

and what is Mike McCarthy's job still today !?

So we make it to another NFC Championship Game and MM is the Packer HC !?

The Green Bay Packers manage that Match Up and he's facing the new equivalent to or 'The Great Mind of Bill Belichick' in another Super Bowl shot !?

https://i0.wp.com/wausaupilotandreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Mike-McCarthy3.jpg?fit=1472%2C1104&ssl=1

Fritz
04-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Woodbov, I like to poke at you sometimes, but we do agree that Mike McCarthy may have gotten too big for his britches.

mraynrand
04-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Mike McCarthy may have gotten too big for his britches.

Literally - and that visual alone is disturbing.

woodbuck27
04-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Woodbov, I like to poke at you sometimes, but we do agree that Mike McCarthy may have gotten too big for his britches.

Anyone with the least ability to honestly observe Mike McCarthy should see exactly as I see it and Mike McCarthy.

Don't get me wrong and Mike McCarthy overall as a person. I like him and as a bottom line in that huge game I'm praying for him; but I'm always and have been all my adult life (the Sports Fan and Analyst) and even as a young teen a discerning individual and too often correct. I as a Leader, Manager and as a Teacher. I'm confident based onresults and my ability to meet challenges successfully. I refuse to take a back seat to dingo's. That's just my Maritime Canadian Culture Education. We're tough people and we're good and decent people.:

Had to know the REAL and people. Realistically it comes down to concrete analysis and all emotions set to the side.

Packer fans (members here) always want to parade MM's won-loss Record out there as if that has diddly to do with winning the HUGE Game.

As the Packer HC and in a pressure packed situation is Mike McCarthy the ROCK or the:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7LWfUxGQ3eawu82NsccMWOWUnZgDk0 KKe1-pe2UnbPgVaoFXFTA

Darn it Fritz, I hope if MM ever manages to get on the door step of another Super Bowl edition he doesn't blow it lie he did in Seattle. Those loss's Vs San Fran are telling as well; but I only find fault there because of his stubbornness to not see the light and getting rid of Dom Capers a long time ago. If shit happens you need to react in some other direction not continue to wade in it. :idea:

We saw it too long ago. Members like wist43 and red and others here like Tank and Rutnstrut and others clearly were correct and Dom Capers; as NOT being the Guy as DC. It was too easy to see. Too many here wouldn't pay attention to our observations and common sense. Maybe it's an age thing!? Some of us want another Super Bowl Victory before we enter the Packer Fan Hall of Fame in the Sky. hahahaha :pack: As a Packer fan It wasn't easy in the 1970's and 1980's and early 1990's and until GM Ron Wolf and HC Mike Holmgren and his Coaching Staff. Brett Favre and Reggie White and all the Packers were in the back to back Super Bowl Era, when Favre was clearly the BEST in the World and 'THE FACE' of the NFL for three Seasons.

Mike McCarthy is either loyal or just really dumb stubborn !? Maybe?... MM had his hands tied by the Ultimate Control Freakishness of Ted Thompson; but I think it's a combination of things and IMO the need for a better TEAM and BRASS and direction for Packer Nation. I see too much already this Off Season to not see that little has changed since Ted Thompson as the GM. It just might simply be growing pains.

We'll all see it and some will always deny the obvious...and ... that's what makes our World spin hahaha. :glug:

woodbuck27
04-22-2018, 03:18 PM
https://www.tmj4.com/sports/green-bay-packers/ap-aaron-rodgers-admits-he-may-leave-green-bay-for-more-super-bowls

AP: Aaron Rodgers admits he may leave Green Bay to play as long as Tom Brady

BY:Arnie Stapelton ...5:49 PM, Feb 1, 2018 ...10:24 PM, Feb 1, 2018

OK I'm full on now with this:

The Packers have a ton of need and a Roster that's lost it's once valued strength.

It's become difficult to actually muster a legitimate starting lineup that can compete with NFL Teams that have and are passing them.

It's time to get a legitimate Backup QB and we can very likely Draft QB Lamar Jackson with a Grade of 5.91 4th Ranked QB and that 'within the Ball Park' GRADE of the NO. 2 Ranked QB Josh Rosen with a Grade of 6.19.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/QB?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

Sam Darnold gets an outstanding Grade comparatively of 7.00. He's be this Year's Draft's NO. 1 Pick unless the BROWNS Panic and are in love with RB Saquan Barkley Graded TOPS at 7.45 or DE Bradley Chubb Graded at 7.25. Outstanding GUARD Quenton Nelson gets a terrific second best Grade of 7.34.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lamar-jackson?id=32462018-0002-5600-53b1-0f1a50e94b24

OK wait a bit ( i need some more time with this evaluation) I'm looking at his Draft Profile Pic and wondering where his shoulders went? :cnf:

https://imagecomposer.nfl.com/?l=http://static.nfl.com/static/content/static/img/combine/2018/headshots/1400x1000/2560053.png&f=png&w=308&c=71

pbmax
04-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Well we aren't at the retirement stage, but we are at the open trade speculation stage of the veteran quarterback lifecycle.

Rodgers said he doesn't think Favre ever fathomed leaving Green Bay before the Packers dealt him in 2008 to the Jets to make room for Rodgers. Favre finished his career in Minnesota.

"I think you have to be humble enough to realize if it could happen to Brett, it can happen to you," Rodgers said.

woodbuck27
04-22-2018, 04:39 PM
Well we aren't at the retirement stage, but we are at the open trade speculation stage of the veteran quarterback lifecycle.

I recall many many Moons ago writing a satirical Post after the Packers lost the Playoff Game Vs the Minnesota Vikings, after they handled them twice during the Regular 2004 Season. The Vikings came into those Playoffs looking weak; an easy touch for the Green Bay Packers. Green Bay were playing extremely well, winning by far the majority of their last three quarters of the scheduled games (yes it was 9 of their last 11 games that the Packers had won)..

In that Play Off game Vs Minny the Packers game out flat and the Vikings got the jump on them and went up 10 to 14 Points. early. After that the Viking 'D' just played terrific to stymie Favre and the Packer 'O'. There was also something and that game late near the Vikings Goal Line (the Packers needing a TD) and Favre making some 'Bonehead' play !?

I'm sure it was around 2005. My fictional story had the Packer HC Mike Sherman (and another five or six Packer BRASS) all in attendance, discussing Brett Favre's impending future; while fishing in an Ice Shack in Northern Wisconsin. That post would have been made at The JSO Packer Forum, and as I recall it; forecasted Brett Favre's impending doom.

My post wasn't well received. I have to be one of the biggest supporters publicly and personally of Brett Favre; but I saw the writing on the wall after that ugly Playoff loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

He lasted 2005 - 07 or three more Seasons and his last one in Green Bay was one of his very finest; but 'the Deep Southern Boy' wasn't up with the horrific coldness Vs the New York Giants on that last day and game at Lambeau Field. It was another one of Fave's 'close but no cigar'' huge games.

I'll have a look as I saw that loss to Minnesota as the beginning of the end for Favre in Green Bay. OK...here it is:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Flashback-Friday-Vikings-31-Packers-17-2004-Playoffs/7fc188e8-d759-48b5-8b07-2a6dc6d793c8

red
04-22-2018, 05:43 PM

i think every NFL players needs to realize that

they are all expendable , very very few go out with their original teams

mraynrand
04-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Sam Darnold gets an outstanding Grade comparatively of 7.00. He's be this Year's Draft's NO. 1 Pick unless the BROWNS Panic and are in love with RB Saquan Barkley

Jiminy Christmas. Brownie fan would go ballistic if the Browns drafted Barkley #1. Not even the Jets would do that. Browns might be persuaded to trade the #1 pick to get Barkley, Chubb and another QB if they were sure their QB remained...

mraynrand
04-22-2018, 07:18 PM
i think every NFL players needs to realize that

they are all expendable , very very few go out with their original teams

I have it on 'good authority' that the days of the expensive franchise QB are over

gbgary
04-22-2018, 07:24 PM

we're no longer a top 10 team as others have passed us by. Rodgers' durability is now a question mark and his new contract will be very problematic. that's why i mentioned the unthinkable scenario earlier this year. i'd seriously consider trading him now. i don't see another team that could offer as much as cle so if they were agreeable i'd take their two 1st round picks plus player(s) and/or more draft picks, for him. draft mayfield at 1, chubb at 4, james at 14, and whatever. all cap issues would disappear so next free agency period a couple of real improvements could be made. rince, repeat. they'd be a team on the up rather than on a slow slide downward. that's just me though. club is bigger than any player so i'm thinking long-term.

pbmax
04-22-2018, 07:42 PM
we're no longer a top 10 team as others have passed us by. Rodgers' durability is now a question mark and his new contract will be very problematic. that's why i mentioned the unthinkable scenario earlier this year. i'd seriously consider trading him now. i don't see another team that could offer as much as cle so if they were agreeable i'd take their two 1st round picks plus player(s) and/or more draft picks, for him. draft mayfield at 1, chubb at 4, james at 14, and whatever. all cap issues would disappear so next free agency period a couple of real improvements could be made. rince, repeat. they'd be a team on the up rather than on a slow slide downward. that's just me though. club is bigger than any player so i'm thinking long-term.

Huge risk to assume a Top 5 pick or Kizer will be able to replace Rodgers. Pay the man his money and fill in as best you can.

gbgary
04-22-2018, 07:53 PM
Huge risk to assume a Top 5 pick or Kizer will be able to replace Rodgers. Pay the man his money and fill in as best you can.

sure, i hear ya, but a better team around a rookie would make things easier for the guy. plenty of rookies have succeeded especially with good teams. it's just a thought. a one-off because no one could offer what cle can. if it doesn't happen all bets are off.

http://frontrowcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/vlcsnap-2015-03-24-19h46m30s555.png

pbmax
04-22-2018, 08:25 PM
I don't think the team is entirely hollowed out. They went 7-9 with their All World QB missing for 9+ games. The defense has been a problem for years and I don't think it was just talent.

Now, I have no idea if Pettine can fix it with what he has on hand but its gotta be better than last year.

Frankly, I am more skeptical of the offense being all-world again than I am of the defense being mediocre.

woodbuck27
04-22-2018, 08:29 PM

gbgary: There's too much sense in your Post.

On December 2, 2018 Aaron Rodgers will turn 35 years of age. His name is still being bandied about as the NO. 1 Player in the NFL.

If the Packers wanted to go along with your idea!? is there an NFL Team that would make such a deal for Aaron Rodgers?

No team is 'in all reality' as intimate with things and The Green Bay Packers as the Cleveland Browns. Do you think that the BROWNS would deal for Aaron Rodgers? I see it as 'fun times' now in Cleveland Brown land. I'm excited about their future as an NFL fan. Aaron Rodgers in Cleveland would be worse than Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

After the Browns what other NFL Team would make such 'a costly to their impending future' trade with the Packers; if 'in fact' the Packer BRASS decided that was the direction to go in?

I agree with you and in terms of Aaron Rodgers and his vulnerability and I don't want to add any bad kharmic tone to this fact and as he has always appeared to me. Aaron Rodgers has maybe the finest arm NFL Fans have ever seen. He has that 'Johnny Unitas thing' and that 'Brett Favre strength' in that arm. His athletic talent and ability to extend plays is magic and covers for a whole lot of Packer weakness. What scares me is the TRUTH and him being one more not even hard hit away from his third serious injury. Aaron Rodgers has tremendous skills but he's NO tough. He's not the physical ROCK Brett Favre still is.

It's every game now for me and a prayer for Aaron Rodgers and for the Packer BRASS to do right by him and the best they can to offer him protection with a solid OL and WR's that can run Routes. He needs a capable Backfield and a Head Coach that knows how to call the offense to not expose Aaron Rodgers.

Have the Packer BRASS done that so far in this Off Season?

NO ! They threw away $10 Million $ of CAP for three Seasons to a TE that doesn't like to BLOCK. What in 'blue Blazes' sense was that? Where's that solid blocking Tight End coming from? Do they have that solid blocking FB in place as John Kuhn was. I recall one hugh palty Kuhn made that allowed Aaron Rodgers to move to his LHS and make a long throw to was it Randall Cobb to set up another winning play or was that the LHS Hail Mary pass to WR Jeff Janis now in Cleveland.

Damn it the Packer Brass keep shooting themselves in the foot ! So Packer Nation simply gets back on the Packer BRASS Merry Go Round for another Season and around and around it goes and any really astute Packer fan knows exactly where it's going to go.

Something BIG has to happen for Packer Nation. I'm a Blue Collar Guy' and I call for a 'Blue Collar' move. The window of opportunity and Super Bowl opportunity with Aaron Rodgers isn't closing.Looking at the strength of Teams right now with what a half dozen or so Ranked above Green Bay.

The Window of opportunity may have already closed. Green Bay has serious needs and weakness at once a position of strength or WR and ' lets face it' a bottom dwelling Defensive Backfield in the NFL. These are the facts THE TRUTH, We all should know that the Packer OL is weak Right. There are FOUR serious Issues for Packer Nation to be aware of and focused on in terms of the Packer BRASS addressing them.

To me it's all very interesting. :pack:

Next Season the Packers deal Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb out of their game. This 2018 Season is a Season of Assessment. A Season to adjust to the changes at GM and the Coaching Staff. A Season to see if Mike Murphy's new found interest in what's really going on and Packers winning and losing will impact the Packers and getting that next shot at a Lombardi.

Paying Aaron Rodgers TOP Dollar..Huh...!? Why !? THe Green Bay Packers have lots of concerns.

GO PACK GO !

Smidgeon
04-22-2018, 09:35 PM
I don't think the team is entirely hollowed out. They went 7-9 with their All World QB missing for 9+ games. The defense has been a problem for years and I don't think it was just talent.

Now, I have no idea if Pettine can fix it with what he has on hand but its gotta be better than last year.

Frankly, I am more skeptical of the offense being all-world again than I am of the defense being mediocre.

That makes sense. How many people (within the Packers building too) are likely thinking the return of Philbin means the return of the 2011 offense?

woodbuck27
04-22-2018, 10:09 PM
That makes sense. How many people (within the Packers building too) are likely thinking the return of Philbin means the return of the 2011 offense?

I like your angle but to win a chariot race you need the strength of horses.

It's going to take three Seasons as I see it now and that means 'in my window' at least some hope..

woodbuck27
04-23-2018, 12:53 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927852/article/aaron-rodgers-named-minority-owner-of-nbas-bucks

Aaron Rodgers named minority owner of NBA's Bucks

By Jeremy Bergman ... Around The NFL Writer

Published: April 20, 2018 at 10:41 p.m. Updated: April 21, 2018 at 03:21 a.m.

" ...The Packers quarterback and Wisconsin sports fanatic joined the ownership group of the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks as a limited partner, the basketball organization announced during its playoff game Friday evening.

Rodgers is the only active NFL player to be a limited partner of an NBA team. ..."

Please click on the LINK for the whole story.

mraynrand
04-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Being a minority owner will help Rodgers relate to oppressed peoples everywhere.

pbmax
04-23-2018, 07:34 AM
Being a minority owner will help Rodgers relate to oppressed peoples everywhere.

Oppressed peoples with a celebrity funded slice of ownership like Gloria Estefan and Serena Williams with the Dolphins anyway.

mraynrand
04-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Oppressed peoples with a celebrity funded slice of ownership like Gloria Estefan and Serena Williams with the Dolphins anyway.

Exactly. Minority ownership is hell.

woodbuck27
04-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

This Issue doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon; and here it's being broached by an NFL.COM Analyst of the highest reputation or Bucky Brooks. Whatever Bucky Brooks says I've come to realize that you pay attention to, as he's a bright Man. Even in a Group on set with 2-4 other Analysts, he stands out as that Guy that's 'bang on' in terms of his analysis and commentary.

The Packers GM Brian Gutekunst is now being quoted as saying (more than less that):

That he has been rather busy (and matters RE: the DRAFT), but has an 'Open Door Policy' and hoping that Players ,Coaches, Scouts etc. will come to his office for a chat and any issues.

Here's the LINK:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928077/article/packers-gm-gutekunst-welcomes-talks-with-rodgers

That news is just coming out today and just three more days removed, from what might arguably be deemed the most vital DRAFT in the Favre and Rodgers ERA !? What's that all about? That seems hardly possible to believe, that the Packers BRASS isn't consulting with, arguably 'the Face of the NFL', and potential Draft moves. That's frankly 'BS' and more frankly and certainly hard to even imagine, as possible.

Is that the way thinking takes place in Wisconsin? Is it simply an isolated thing and the Green Bay Packers Franchise; a standard form of 'a brush off'?

I'll inform Y'all of what that policy is in my World of acting with respect and decency, or will I need to spell out the word S _ _ _ _ d? That's absolutely correct analysis and the way Packer BRASS is acting in this Off Season. Frankly, have they ever heard of the term 'Team Work'?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927745/article/aaron-rodgers-deserves-better-giants-wont-take-a-qb-at-no-2

Aaron Rodgers deserves better; Giants won't take a QB at No. 2

By Bucky Brooks ...NFL.com Analyst

Published: April 20, 2018 at 04:15 p.m. Updated: April 20, 2018 at 05:21 p.m.

" ..."My quarterback coach didn't get retained," Rodgers said on ESPN's "Golic and Wingo." "I thought that was an interesting change -- really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach. And that was an interesting decision."

He's right. The connection between the quarterback and his position coach is critical -- most teams are reluctant to tinker with that situation if the signal-caller vouches for his instructor. Can you imagine the Cleveland Cavaliers firing James' shooting coach without consulting him? What about the Golden State Warriors letting go of Curry's ball-handling guru without running it past the two-time MVP? ... "

Further Comment woodbuck27:

This is not even remotely close to how matters as outlined above needed to be handled by a competent Pro Sports Management Team.

mraynrand
04-23-2018, 05:26 PM
^^^ Woodbuck this is a great post. Call in the press and tell them this while you're doing 6000 crunches. You can be the stand-in (or lie-down) Diva for Rodgers.

http://media.philly.com/images/071610-t-owens-400.jpg

gbgary
04-23-2018, 10:32 PM
I am more skeptical of the offense being all-world again than I am of the defense being mediocre.

me too especially with the vacant spot opposite adams. as for the D, mediocre would be huge improvement.

woodbuck27
05-01-2018, 02:27 AM
NO ! hahahaha I didn't scoop you ! Cheers ! :glug:

Comment woodbuck27:

I'm not sure if this Article was posted here or not but all the same; it's interesting from a standpoint of all the scenarios and whether of not to make Aaron Rodgers the deserved (hahaha or not) Highest Paid QB in the NFL Title for some time or not. All that will presumed transpire in the future and other NFL Teams QB's.

When does this end?

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/03/24/silverstein-aaron-rodgers-impending-extension-handcuffs-packers-free-agency/453162002/

Silverstein: Aaron Rodgers' impending extension handcuffs Packers in free agency

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Published 2:55 p.m. CT March 24, 2018

red
05-03-2018, 09:07 PM
matt ryan just signed a 5 year extension worth 30 million a year with 100 million guaranteed

our window might have just closed. its gonna be real tough building a good team with that much money tied up in one spot

mraynrand
05-03-2018, 09:11 PM
That's a lot of bananas

Bretsky
05-03-2018, 09:16 PM
matt ryan just signed a 5 year extension worth 30 million a year with 100 million guaranteed

our window might have just closed. its gonna be real tough building a good team with that much money tied up in one spot

EXACTLY RIGHT

It's going to be very important we stop f'cking up all these drafts because it'll be harder to keep players so we'll need young guys to excel sooner

NO WAY was Arod signing before Ryan. Last time he was about six percent higher.

That puts him the 31.5 to 32 MIL/Year range.

Joemailman
05-03-2018, 10:44 PM
EXACTLY RIGHT

It's going to be very important we stop f'cking up all these drafts because it'll be harder to keep players so we'll need young guys to excel sooner

NO WAY was Arod signing before Ryan. Last time he was about six percent higher.

That puts him the 31.5 to 32 MIL/Year range.

It will also mean not paying elite money to players who are no longer elite. The release of Jordy Nelson had a lot to do with Arod's next contract. Clay Matthews, who is a FA in 2019, will likely be next.

pbmax
05-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Pretty sure I read this on here earlier (gbgary maybe?):

Jeff Wilson @jw124164
Falcons fan here. I wonder if it would have been worth it to offer Cleveland Ryan for their #1 and #33.....draft Darnold or hell, Lamar Jackson and have some $$ to spend.

Mike Tanier @MikeTanier
There's an inflection point where a "proven" QB won't be worth the % of the cap that's required to keep him. Feel like we keep dancing really close to that point.

I am still with conventional wisdom here with Rodgers. But there is a huge case to be made that if you need an All World QB to make your offense go, you would be better off hiring coaches like Pederson and McKay who will make younger and more limited players successful. That way you do not need to find Rodgers or Brady in the first place. Or have the number 1 pick in the right draft.

Tony Oday
05-04-2018, 07:24 AM
AR takes less money than Ryan to help get to another Super Bowl.

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2018, 08:27 AM

That's about what I was thinking. Does Danica make as much as Brady's super model?

At very least, I'm sure the contract will be cap-friendly for the team. If Atlanta and other teams can survive and thrive paying the same or close to the money Rodgers will get, why would some of you guys be so worried that the Packers can't do the same. Atlanta and some other teams have money tied up in other star players too, undoubtedly more than the Packers in several cases.

pbmax
05-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Everyone is always very willing to be sure other people are happy to make less money. Its amazing, really.

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 09:04 AM
That's about what I was thinking. Does Danica make as much as Brady's super model?

At very least, I'm sure the contract will be cap-friendly for the team. If Atlanta and other teams can survive and thrive paying the same or close to the money Rodgers will get, why would some of you guys be so worried that the Packers can't do the same. Atlanta and some other teams have money tied up in other star players too, undoubtedly more than the Packers in several cases.

Why can't the Packers just print money and give it to Rodgers on the side? The Glorious Multiplier!

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Everyone is always very willing to be sure other people are happy to make less money. Its amazing, really.

"I can spend your money better than you can"

- every politician

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 09:05 AM
dp

pbmax
05-04-2018, 09:20 AM
"I can spend your money better than you can"

- every politician

There is definitely an efficiency case that can be made that paying Rodgers more is not the best move and that altering the offense and going with another, cheaper skill set is the smarter move.

But the Packers aren't going to do it. If JSO had it right yesterday, their only concern is the guaranteed amount.

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 09:28 AM
There is definitely an efficiency case that can be made that paying Rodgers more is not the best move and that altering the offense and going with another, cheaper skill set is the smarter move.

My suspicion is that making the second move is ruled out due to pure fear. Think about it - with Rodgers healthy, you're almost guaranteed a playoff appearance and run. Stubby generally thinks his offense can unbalance other teams and can use that to get deep into the playoffs, even with teams that aren't obviously the best 5. And every once in a while you get a really good group (2014) that should win (oops).

Dropping Rodgers means you might have to re-vamp a lot and likely drop out of the playoffs. It's great to look at Philly and say 'why can't we do that?' but the answer is 'because it's really hard to do.' - especially with years and years with no high picks. And by the time you reset with a new QB, you may be out of a job.

So pay the money for Rodgers, keep it all humming at Divsional appearance 'guaranteed' level and hope you get hot at the right time and steal a championship. Avoid the slide.

pbmax
05-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Ouch. $94.5 of the $100 mil guarantee is fully guaranteed. To claw back that last $5.5, Atlanta would have to cut him after one year.

No workout or game day roster bonuses. No incentives. Its basically $100 fully guaranteed for all practical effect.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/04/under-any-analysis-matt-ryans-sets-a-new-bar/

pbmax
05-04-2018, 09:34 AM
My suspicion is that making the second move is ruled out due to pure fear. Think about it - with Rodgers healthy, you're almost guaranteed a playoff appearance and run. Stubby generally thinks his offense can unbalance other teams and can use that to get deep into the playoffs, even with teams that aren't obviously the best 5. And every once in a while you get a really good group (2014) that should win (oops).

Dropping Rodgers means you might have to re-vamp a lot and likely drop out of the playoffs. It's great to look at Philly and say 'why can't we do that?' but the answer is 'because it's really hard to do.' - especially with years and years with no high picks. And by the time you reset with a new QB, you may be out of a job.

So pay the money for Rodgers, keep it all humming at Divsional appearance 'guaranteed' level and hope you get hot at the right time and steal a championship. Avoid the slide.

Its definitely hard to envision. I am not sure its as hard to do as it seems from this end of the spectrum. Dr. RosenRosen in Philly and the Rams rebuilt teams in under two years. You can do a lot with that cash, including things like signing Woodson and Pickett.

However, you are correct that the Packers have only had one year of picking high and even that was a mid round pick. Fisher and Kelly/Shumur/Reid gave their teams 5/5 and 4/6 seasons under 500 for good draft slots prior to the current regimes. Even Doug helped with one sub 500 year.

denverYooper
05-04-2018, 09:44 AM
Why can't the Packers just print money and give it to Rodgers on the side? The Glorious Multiplier!

They can always use the Denver compensation model.

pbmax
05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
They can always use the Denver compensation model.

There are Rodgers ads for Gordie Boucher (in Madison its BOO-chey, its Green Bay at one time, it was BUTCH-er) everywhere. It might already be happening.

gbgary
05-04-2018, 10:09 AM

not after Rodgers' all-in decree fell on deaf ears.

here are ryan's details...

1. Signing bonus: $46.5 million.

2. 2018 salary: $6 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2019 option bonus: $10 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2019 salary: $11.5 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2020 salary: $20.5 million, fully guaranteed.

6. 2021 salary: $23 million, $5.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only at signing. The $5.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.

7. 2022 roster bonus: $7.5 million, due third day of 2021 league year.

8. 2022 salary: $16.25 million.

9. 2023 roster bonus: $7.5 million, due third day of 2021 league year.

10. 2023 salary: $20.5 million.

11. All guarantees have no offset language.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/04/under-any-analysis-matt-ryans-sets-a-new-bar/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 10:10 AM
The looming collapse of ESPN/cable contracts will upset the whole apple cart.

gbgary
05-04-2018, 10:14 AM

lol...never thought of that. suddenly the cap goes down instead of up. smh

red
05-04-2018, 11:37 AM

NE and their HC have proven time after time that they are a pretty damn good team even without Brady

The packers have proven twice now, that we aren’t shit without Rodgers, like bottom 5 in the nfl bad

He’s not gonna take less money, nor should he

red
05-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Rating do keep going down

When’s the next cba?

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Ouch. $94.5 of the $100 mil guarantee is fully guaranteed. To claw back that last $5.5, Atlanta would have to cut him after one year.

No workout or game day roster bonuses. No incentives. Its basically $100 fully guaranteed for all practical effect.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/04/under-any-analysis-matt-ryans-sets-a-new-bar/

That's $94.5 or 100 million out of $169 million according to the article - still a lot, but only 70% or so of the total. The terms actually seemed pretty cap friendly. About the only way they are hurt - and the Packers in a similar situation with Rodgers too - is if Ryan gets a career-ending injury, and they probably have insurance against that.

pbmax
05-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Rating do keep going down

When’s the next cba?

ratings are down, but rights fees still going up. They are collecting a huge sum from Amazon in the next few years.

Football (college and pro) still delivers a very strong proportion of the viewing public. But peak TV and cord cutters have really fragmented the audience. So proportion remains strong while overall number is lower.

I would bet rights fees remain high as long as there are new players in the market for digital distribution.

red
05-04-2018, 04:53 PM

ratings are down, but rights fees still going up. They are collecting a huge sum from Amazon in the next few years.

Football (college and pro) still delivers a very strong proportion of the viewing public. But peak TV and cord cutters have really fragmented the audience. So proportion remains strong while overall number is lower.

I would bet rights fees remain high as long as there are new players in the market for digital distribution.

proportion shouldn't matter anywhere near as much as actual eyes do

if you use to have 25% of 10 million, and today you have 50% of 1 million (numbers are not accurate, just easy to use), then a whole hell of a lot less people are gonna be seeing the ads run during the games

but you are right, that someone out there will probably continue to pay big bucks for the right

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 05:55 PM

The Amazon thing is only for TNF - so far. DirecTV seems intent on transitioning from the dish to streaming via AT&T. Popularity of NFL will naturally wane as the next generation who don't play it come up. Won't be more than 10-20 years. I don't know the business well enough to know how they can extract as much $$$ as they did from cable bundling.

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:18 AM
proportion shouldn't matter anywhere near as much as actual eyes do

if you use to have 25% of 10 million, and today you have 50% of 1 million (numbers are not accurate, just easy to use), then a whole hell of a lot less people are gonna be seeing the ads run during the games

but you are right, that someone out there will probably continue to pay big bucks for the right

Advertisers want demographics and numbers. Business spending on advertising hasn’t shrunk. So dollars are still there.

NFL has demo that many companies want. And they have the biggest numbers still. The internet might solve this and deliver bigger numbers more reliably than TV but we aren’t there yet. So I’d say they are vulnerable but the method of recknoning has not arrived.

Baseball revenues have been growing fantastically for a long while even as they cannot deliver the TV viewers football can. So they have web and local options too. But their inventory isn’t as deep as baseball so it’s not a perfect solution either.

red
05-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Advertisers want demographics and numbers. Business spending on advertising hasn’t shrunk. So dollars are still there.

NFL has demo that many companies want. And they have the biggest numbers still. The internet might solve this and deliver bigger numbers more reliably than TV but we aren’t there yet. So I’d say they are vulnerable but the method of recknoning has not arrived.

Baseball revenues have been growing fantastically for a long while even as they cannot deliver the TV viewers football can. So they have web and local options too. But their inventory isn’t as deep as baseball so it’s not a perfect solution either.

yeah but baseball plays, what is it 160 games or so?

their rating might not be much, but you have to remember that they have 10 times the amount of games. so over a full season, just as many eyes might be watching, just more spread out

do they even show baseball on tv anymore?

Cheesehead Craig
05-05-2018, 01:09 PM
The NFL also has not embraced all advertising revenues options as of yet. They still do not have logos of sponsors on the field (even if it's just digitally superimposed), on the jerseys, or ads on the barriers of the stadium inside. So the money train will still keep coming in.

Guiness
05-05-2018, 01:38 PM
not after Rodgers' all-in decree fell on deaf ears.

here are ryan's details...

1. Signing bonus: $46.5 million.

2. 2018 salary: $6 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2019 option bonus: $10 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2019 salary: $11.5 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2020 salary: $20.5 million, fully guaranteed.

6. 2021 salary: $23 million, $5.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only at signing. The $5.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.

7. 2022 roster bonus: $7.5 million, due third day of 2021 league year.

8. 2022 salary: $16.25 million.

9. 2023 roster bonus: $7.5 million, due third day of 2021 league year.

10. 2023 salary: $20.5 million.

11. All guarantees have no offset language.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/04/under-any-analysis-matt-ryans-sets-a-new-bar/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

Am I entirely missing something here? How is this $30M/year new money and $28.2 average? The guaranteed money is $94 over 4 years, or 23.6/year, and the back end numbers are low, not inflated, the highest being $28m in 2023, which is likely very underpaid by that time.

This looks to me like a Brady-like deal.

red
05-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Am I entirely missing something here? How is this $30M/year new money and $28.2 average? The guaranteed money is $94 over 4 years, or 23.6/year, and the back end numbers are low, not inflated, the highest being $28m in 2023, which is likely very underpaid by that time.

This looks to me like a Brady-like deal.

there may be a yearly 2 million dollar roster bonus that you're missing

but i agree, the numbers still don't add up to 30 million a year. something is still missing from spotrac and overthecap

Guiness
05-05-2018, 04:09 PM
there may be a yearly 2 million dollar roster bonus that you're missing

but i agree, the numbers still don't add up to 30 million a year. something is still missing from spotrac and overthecap

Red agrees with me on a day I had beer with breakfast. Go figure.

red
05-05-2018, 04:27 PM
i agreed with guiness the day i've spent half of, sitting on the can shitting my brains out

red
05-05-2018, 04:34 PM
i think where we're getting messed up is that its a 5 year 150 million dollar extention, and they keep saying its 30 million per year, which is wrong

its a 5 year extension. buts its 150 million in new money over 6 years

so to find out how much he makes per year, you can't just go 150 divided by 5

you have to do the total value over 6 years and divide it by 6

so by my math, based on spotracs numbers, i get 171.65 million made over the 6 years of the deal

which comes out to 28.6 million a year on average

red
05-05-2018, 04:46 PM
ans since i'm doing numbers

all that means that he will get about 55 million this year

13.5 million next year

22.5 in 2020

25 million in 2021

about 25 in 2022

and 30 million in 2023 IF they keep him. they can cut him with no penalty after 2022

now, that poor disrespected underpaid a-rod? he will make 20.5 million this year, unless he signs a new deal

Zool
05-05-2018, 08:12 PM
now, that poor disrespected underpaid a-rod? he will make 20.5 million this year, unless he signs a new deal

Imagine you have a talent that is extremely marketable and you’re one o father top 3 people in the world at your chosen profession. Bob in th next office makes ~50% more money than you because he just got to the company. You’re better at making your widgets than Bob by everyone’s accounts.

Should you not go for at least as much compensation as Bob or should you, for the good of the company, just be happy watching Bob get more money than you for doing an inferior job? IMO fuck Bob, I’m getting more than him.

red
05-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Imagine you have a talent that is extremely marketable and you’re one o father top 3 people in the world at your chosen profession. Bob in th next office makes ~50% more money than you because he just got to the company. You’re better at making your widgets than Bob by everyone’s accounts.

Should you not go for at least as much compensation as Bob or should you, for the good of the company, just be happy watching Bob get more money than you for doing an inferior job? IMO fuck Bob, I’m getting more than him.

bob got his big bonus all qbs get every 4 or 5 years (signing bonus)

so you go in because bob got his big bonus, and demand even more

so next year when its time for jim to get his big bonus, you're gonna storm back in there and demand another 50 million dollar signing bonus, just so you are still the highest paid?

and the year later when its time for jose to get a bonus, you're gonna demand another?

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:16 PM
There are Rodgers ads for Gordie Boucher (in Madison its BOO-chey, its Green Bay at one time, it was BUTCH-er) everywhere. It might already be happening.

I must be suffering some kind of memory lapse. He isn't advertising Boucher. He is advertising Bergstrom.

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:18 PM

so next year when its time for jim to get his big bonus, you're gonna storm back in there and demand another 50 million dollar signing bonus, just so you are still the highest paid?

and the year later when its time for jose to get a bonus, you're gonna demand another?

Depends on the terms of the bonus. If it ups the annual salary, you bet.

woodbuck27
05-06-2018, 01:11 AM
I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Zool
05-06-2018, 08:43 AM

If someone of lesser ability than me is getting 50% more, you’re fucking right I am.

gbgary
05-06-2018, 10:59 AM
but these aren't a series of one-year deals to be one-upped annually. it's just a timing thing. Rodgers signed his deal and should live with it at least another year (imo) especially since he's coming off a year when his shoulder was screwed back together. if he was 29 or 30 i might feel differently too.

pbmax
05-06-2018, 11:18 AM
but these aren't a series of one-year deals to be one-upped annually. it's just a timing thing. Rodgers signed his deal and should live with it at least another year (imo) especially since he's coming off a year when his shoulder was screwed back together. if he was 29 or 30 i might feel differently too.

QB is the one position to routinely get a new deal 2 years in advance, to avoid the game of chicken that is a final year contract and the franchise tag.

Gutekunst is talking about it because they think he will survive playing until he is 39. Otherwise, this is a completely different conversation.

Rutnstrut
05-06-2018, 01:03 PM
QB is the one position to routinely get a new deal 2 years in advance, to avoid the game of chicken that is a final year contract and the franchise tag.

Gutekunst is talking about it because they think he will survive playing until he is 39. Otherwise, this is a completely different conversation.

No way he plays until 39 IF he keeps getting sacked at the rate he does in GB. I also don't think he hasthe fire in his belly like Brady. He just seems ho hum a lot of the time.

gbgary
05-06-2018, 04:26 PM

yeah i know.

pbmax
05-06-2018, 06:34 PM
No way he plays until 39 IF he keeps getting sacked at the rate he does in GB. I also don't think he hasthe fire in his belly like Brady. He just seems ho hum a lot of the time.

Of all the things I have seen in Rodgers, ho hum is not one of them.

Joemailman
05-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Wanna know when the contract is done? Follow James Jones.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/06/james-jones-confirms-hell-break-the-aaron-rodgers-contract-news/

The former Packers receiver and current NFL Network analyst was specifically told by Rodgers that he’ll be the first to know when the two-time MVP quarterback signs his new deal with the Packers, which is expected to get done sometime this offseason.

Jones said negotiations should start escalating now that Matt Ryan signed his new extension with the Atlanta Falcons. Both sides were waiting to see Ryan’s new deal ($30 million per year, $100 million guaranteed) before getting into the nitty-gritty of finalizing Rodgers’ extension.

Whenever the news arrives, Jones’ Twitter account (@89JonesNTAF) will now be the heavy favorite to break it.

“He told me, I’m going to break the news,” Jones said. “So everybody just relax, follow me on Twitter. Follow me on Twitter if you want the info. I’m going to break the news on Aaron Rodgers. He told me. Right now, just relax. Ain’t nothing in the fire yet, but I assume it’ll heat up now that Matt is done.”

Guiness
05-06-2018, 09:09 PM
i agreed with guiness the day i've spent half of, sitting on the can shitting my brains out

So we agree on a day when you're a quart low on shit!:shtf:

You're right though, 1 year left plus a 5 year extension makes it a 5 year deal. The Falcons actually lower their cap number for him this year. He was scheduled to earn ~$19M, but now between his base and pro-rated part of this bonus he'll count $17.3.

OTC puts the number at $17.7M, so there must be 400K of prorated money floating around from his last contact.

woodbuck27
05-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Wanna know when the contract is done? Follow James Jones.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/06/james-jones-confirms-hell-break-the-aaron-rodgers-contract-news/

James Jones is impressive on the NFL Network.

I'm happy he'll get 'the Breaking News' and Aaron Rodgers extension.

pbmax
05-08-2018, 05:58 PM
You're right though, 1 year left plus a 5 year extension makes it a 5 year deal. .

??

:pc:

pbmax
05-09-2018, 11:06 AM
There will soon be no more money to cover these QB contracts:

The top of the quarterback market has seen remarkable growth in the last year, with deals rising by approximately 22 percent during this span. By contrast, high-end quarterback contracts increased by just under 23 percent in the first 52 months after Aaron Rodgers became the NFL's highest paid player in April 2013 with a five-year, $110 million extension.

Doesn't read that way in actual money committed to the position.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-heres-what-to-look-for-when-aaron-rodgers-signs-a-new-deal-with-packers/

pbmax
05-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Rapaport says a new deal will likely happen this summer before training camp. He has no inside info here, he talked to a couple of other GMs. You gotta scroll down to find him.

Its a nothing burger of a prediction it seems, since if its happening this year it will likely happen before camp.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2018/05/09/morning-buzz-rodgers-deal-should-done-camp/593855002/

Guiness
05-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
You're right though, 1 year left plus a 5 year extension makes it a 5 year deal. .

??

:pc:

Oh fuck off! :mrgreen:

Guiness
05-09-2018, 01:17 PM
There will soon be no more money to cover these QB contracts:

Doesn't read that way in actual money committed to the position.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-heres-what-to-look-for-when-aaron-rodgers-signs-a-new-deal-with-packers/

Saw another article saying the concern is mostly sticker shock. Ryan's $30Mish is a big number, but percentage wise it's the same part of the salary cap as his last contact.

Der Lehrer
05-09-2018, 02:23 PM
I bet Rodgers goes after every dollar he can. Besides the obvious benefits it also maximizes his input on personnel. If the Packers want cap relief Aaron can require a seat at the table and provide the flexibility. Aaron has chafed at the lack of spending in the past. He gains influence by being able to grant the cap room instead of just blindly relying on the front office to do something, who has all to often let him down.

I bet that input into decision-making is more valuable for him as getting that last 2-3 million thrown in. He can give it up, be the good guy (just look at all the press Brady got), and get whatever authority that leverage gets him.

call_me_ishmael
05-09-2018, 02:27 PM
33M/year is the rumored figure. Why go up 10% greater than ice? That's cray cray. QB salaries have gone up like 25% in the past year or two. Not worth it.

It will be very tough to put a premier team around ARod at those figures.

red
05-09-2018, 03:38 PM
33M/year is the rumored figure. Why go up 10% greater than ice? That's cray cray. QB salaries have gone up like 25% in the past year or two. Not worth it.

Eh, or you could always take money away from the guys who make a ton, and don’t come close to earning it

mraynrand
05-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Eh, or you could always take money away from the guys who make a ton, and don’t come close to earning it

What do you suggest, rob their bank?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-09-2018, 03:44 PM

No it ain't. In an era of soaring revenues and titanic TV contracts, the cap is no longer an issue. Cap is cookable. If a fat pig owner is willing to eat less profit, he can "hire" anybody and everybody.

gbgary
05-09-2018, 05:28 PM
don't know how true it is but i saw a quote that no team has won a sb with the qb taking more than 13.1% of the cap.

The record for the highest cap hit percentage remains Steve Young’s 13.1% in that first season, when teams were still getting used to building rosters under a budget. Only four quarterbacks have ever won a Super Bowl while accounting for at least 11% of their team’s cap room: Young, Peyton Manning (twice), Tom Brady and Eli Manning.
NFL teams are paying quarterbacks way too much money and here's the proof (https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/nfl-quarterback-salaries-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-free-agency)

if the guess, on the link PB posted earlier, is accurate Rodgers will be in the 18% range.

red
05-09-2018, 05:46 PM
What do you suggest, rob their bank?

Cut Cobb clears over 10 million

Cut Mathews, clears over 10 million

These 2 are not contributing in any way to us winning

The Shadow
05-09-2018, 06:05 PM

A bit harsh.

pbmax
05-09-2018, 07:02 PM
I bet Rodgers goes after every dollar he can. Besides the obvious benefits it also maximizes his input on personnel. If the Packers want cap relief Aaron can require a seat at the table and provide the flexibility. Aaron has chafed at the lack of spending in the past. He gains influence by being able to grant the cap room instead of just blindly relying on the front office to do something, who has all to often let him down.

I bet that input into decision-making is more valuable for him as getting that last 2-3 million thrown in. He can give it up, be the good guy (just look at all the press Brady got), and get whatever authority that leverage gets him.

Welcome!

I think Brady is currently miffed that his team friendly deal didn't get him more help, partially explains the estrangement now. Not sure Rodgers would trust that giving up a dollar would ensure it get spent on a new player.

Teamcheez1
05-09-2018, 07:20 PM

The wheels have already been set in motion to clear most of that cap space for next year. Cobb will not be back after the rookie and younger WR's have a year under their belts.
Clay is not under contract for next year. If he does well this year, I could see them bringing him back at a reduced salary, otherwise he will be allowed to walk.

gbgary
05-09-2018, 08:08 PM
i'll bet clay is back. LB is too much of a weak spot to let him go.

pbmax
05-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Cobb will be back. Mark it down.

Clay may not depending on his market.

call_me_ishmael
05-09-2018, 09:31 PM

You should be trying to replace those players with better players who still require that much or more money.

red
05-09-2018, 09:44 PM
i'll bet clay is back. LB is too much of a weak spot to let him go.

that would be like getting rid of randall and saying the cbs are now worse because of it

clay is a big reason why our pass rush is such a joke

making one big play every 2 or 3 games while doing nothing in between just doesn't cut it. hes not even playing up to the standards of a starter IMO,much less a "superstar" making over 10 million a year

woodbuck27
05-10-2018, 12:10 AM
that would be like getting rid of randall and saying the cbs are now worse because of it

clay is a big reason why our pass rush is such a joke

making one big play every 2 or 3 games while doing nothing in between just doesn't cut it. hes not even playing up to the standards of a starter IMO,much less a "superstar" making over 10 million a year

Now that TT is gone I wouldn't bet that either CM IIII nor Randal Cobb see the field in 2019 wearing Green and Gold.

See My Post and Top Ten available WR's and LBers for the 2019 Draft.

woodbuck27
05-10-2018, 12:15 AM
Welcome!

I think Brady is currently miffed that his team friendly deal didn't get him more help, partially explains the estrangement now. Not sure Rodgers would trust that giving up a dollar would ensure it get spent on a new player.

Aaron Rodgers is soon going to be very much RICHER.

'Show ME the Money.' Aaron Rodgers Agent

It'll be done before the Opening of the Big Training Camp and Exhibition Games.

The Contract has to be huge to keep Aaron Rodgers on point.

Don't make him pout Packer Brass.

pbmax
05-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Justin Felder @Justin_FOX5
Interesting — Dimitroff says he ran into Aaron Rodgers in an airport, and Rodgers told him to get Matt Ryan’s contract extension done so Rodgers could ‘get on with my life.’

Andrew Brandt @AndrewBrandt
"Business of Sports" pod with @AtlantaFalcons GM Thomas Dmitroff on all things Falcons, nutrition/diet/fitness changes in NFL, more: https://t.co/YhdeT3qZBc

red
05-25-2018, 06:54 PM
Sounds like someone can’t pick up on sarcasm

Or doesn’t know what a joke is

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 06:08 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2778971-aaron-rodgers-reportedly-wants-player-options-in-new-packers-contract?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Aaron Rodgers Reportedly Wants Player Options in New Packers Contract

BY: TIM DANIELS ...JUNE 1, 2018

" ... Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is reportedly seeking additional control in order to sign a long-term extension.

On Thursday, Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network reported Rodgers is pushing for contract options that would give him an opportunity to renegotiate if QB salaries continue to skyrocket ..."

Please click o the LINK above for the rest of this story.

texaspackerbacker
06-01-2018, 06:12 PM
I read that article too. I'll believe it when I hear it from Rodgers himself. There are fake news assholes in the sports media, same as news, and I wouldn't put it past 'em to make up shit like that out of disrespect for Green Bay and the heartland in general.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Aaron Rodgers is suffering and need a lot more money. I mean just look at the trashy looking digs he has to entertain in, poor Guy:

http://static.horizontimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/21121102/Aaron-Rogers.jpg

He lives in California.

He started out playing college football there and became quite well-known.

He was drafted in the NFL in 2005 and played for the Green Bay Packers. To be near his team, Rodgers lived in Green Bay at first. That changed as he missed his own hometown and State and decided to move back.

He resides at a not-so-modest mansion, which has an Olympic-size pool.

pbmax
06-02-2018, 12:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935283/article/aaron-rodgers-eyeing-player-optout-in-next-contract

Garafolo reported Rodgers would like some sort of out clause in an extension that would allow the QB to control his ability to renegotiate a new deal.

One problem in Rodgers earning such an opt-out: Why would the Packers give up leverage?

Currently, Rodgers has two years remaining on his deal. The Packers then hold the ability to franchise tag the quarterback the next two seasons. Green Bay could do nothing and have Rodgers under center for the next four seasons. When you're holding a full house, there are very few hands to which you'd fold.

The answer is that the cost of the deal WITH opt out language would be less than locking him up for 5 more years.

pbmax
06-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Yup. A proposed contract would include a series of player options. Should be fascinating.

gbgary
06-02-2018, 03:51 PM
read a rumor that he may be wanting a contract that adjusts upward each time the cap goes up.

Teamcheez1
06-02-2018, 06:12 PM
I would give AR none of the items mentioned in all these articles. He has 4 -5 years left with the Packers and can accept a good contract that makes him a very rich man. I highly doubt that his production will be worthy of being the highest paid player in the NFL 2-3 years from now.

Joemailman
06-02-2018, 09:23 PM
I would give AR none of the items mentioned in all these articles. He has 4 -5 years left with the Packers and can accept a good contract that makes him a very rich man. I highly doubt that his production will be worthy of being the highest paid player in the NFL 2-3 years from now.

Or he can play out his contract and name his price as he becomes a free agent in 2020.

call_me_ishmael
06-03-2018, 12:03 AM
Or he can play out his contract and name his price as he becomes a free agent in 2020.

Exclusive Rights Franchise Tag?

An exclusive franchise tag means a team will pay that player no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player is not allowed to negotiate with other teams.

pbmax
06-03-2018, 08:22 AM
The Packers would not survive that Tag drama unless DeShone Kizer turns into Aaron Rodgers.

You just retire like Carson Palmer did in Cincy.

texaspackerbacker
06-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Has there been even one word from Rodgers himself since his statement that he hopes to finish his career in Green Bay? I suspect this is all pure speculation by the fake news media aimed at stirring up trouble and disrespecting a heartland team - that's what those assholes do.

pbmax
06-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Has there been even one word from Rodgers himself since his statement that he hopes to finish his career in Green Bay? I suspect this is all pure speculation by the fake news media aimed at stirring up trouble and disrespecting a heartland team - that's what those assholes do.

Yes, a report about what's in Rodgers' last contract proposal is definitely not from a source close to Rodgers (read his agent or the team), it is from the imagination of a mind-melded Garafolo and Rapaport.

Joemailman
06-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Rodgers has talked about wanting to change how contracts are done in the NFL though.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/running-the-player-option-issue-is-extremely-important-to-aaron/article_40355035-8789-5c1f-8465-01ac4caa0626.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

Speaking to reporters when the offseason program began in mid-April, Rodgers was asked if it mattered to him that he became the league’s highest-paid player and remained that way for an extended time.

“It’s never been about any of that,” Rodgers said. “It’s never been about who’s signing when, or what the number is. I was the highest paid at one point in 2013, and then obviously a number of guys have gotten contracts. It’s good for those guys. I’m happy whenever anybody gets paid…. Again, I pay Dave Dunn to handle my contract, and I’m confident that we’ll have those conversations when we need to.”

But when the subject turned to guaranteed contracts and blazing a negotiating trail for players who come after him, the 34-year-old Rodgers spoke like a man who wants to change the way the NFL does business with its players.

“When the NBA had that jump in salary cap a couple years ago, and a lot of kind of fringe All-Stars and mid-level players were signing really significant deals, as an athlete, you paid attention to that,” said Rodgers, a longtime NBA fan. “When Kirk signed his deal (with the Vikings), a guaranteed contract, obviously that’s good for our sport.

“If you look at the major sporting industries, we don’t have guaranteed contracts in our sport. Obviously, we have a larger roster than other leagues, with the NBA having about 15 and obviously Major League Baseball having 25 and 40, and the NHL less than that. There’s financial constraints on (an NFL) team to make that a sweeping referendum, but I think it’s good for our sport.

“I don’t know — that’s probably going to impact the next CBA and negotiations at some point. But right now, it seems like there’s only a few positions where that type of contract could happen.”

texaspackerbacker
06-04-2018, 05:24 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Green-Bay-Packers-QB-Aaron-Rodgers-tunes-out-contract-speculation-118780381?utm_source=247Sports%20

This is apparently right from the horse's mouth. As I suspected, the rumors spewed by some in the media are "pure speculation" i.e. fake news, based on what Rodgers himself is quoted as saying.

pbmax
06-05-2018, 09:16 AM
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Green-Bay-Packers-QB-Aaron-Rodgers-tunes-out-contract-speculation-118780381?utm_source=247Sports%20

This is apparently right from the horse's mouth. As I suspected, the rumors spewed by some in the media are "pure speculation" i.e. fake news, based on what Rodgers himself is quoted as saying.

There is no denial of any reported fact in his statement.

I don’t talk about it to the media and I don’t think my agent is, either,” Rodgers said after Monday’s organized team activity. “A lot of it is just conjecture and stories that aren’t really based in factual interactions or (are) misrepresented (inter)actions. I think that’s just part of it.

He could want the out clause for reasons that extend beyond player versus team control OR are not directly related to compensation compared to other players. None of the reported scenarios have been denied here. He is not even denying his agent is talking to the media.

mraynrand
06-05-2018, 10:20 AM
I want to hear some more specific denials of various speculations.

pbmax
06-05-2018, 10:26 AM
I want to hear some more specific denials of various speculations.

If you think David Dunn is not just giving his client plausible deniability (telling Rodgers he isn't leaking when he is) then the leaks seem to come 2nd hand from someone who knows or talks to Packers admin.

The Shadow
06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
What's the big deal? We have Hundley, after all.

mraynrand
06-05-2018, 11:05 AM
If you think David Dunn is not just giving his client plausible deniability (telling Rodgers he isn't leaking when he is) then the leaks seem to come 2nd hand from someone who knows or talks to Packers admin.

I really don't care. Certainly not enough to know who David Dunn is. Guys are using the leverage they have to get what they want, all the while hopefully (for themselves) still looking like great pro-Packer rah rah team guys. Lather, rinse, repeat. Let me know when someone calls in Ari Fleischer or some other four Fleischer.

Zool
06-05-2018, 11:37 AM
It's pretty tough to care about hundred millionaires squabbling about money with billionaires.

woodbuck27
06-05-2018, 12:00 PM
What's the big deal? We have Hundley, after all.

Exactly and you know we're set with Brett 'Slider; Hundley and he'll sign for a couple of years supply of chewing Gum.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/df/ddff1811-f1e3-50ab-87ef-289dcd58a688/5a0149cae5f25.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C744

We know that MM doesn't work with him (or so he informs Packer Nation); and if MM would just step up and offer Hundley his QB Guru Coaching knowledge:

https://usatpackerswire.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/usatsi_10383852-e1509482726116.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Look at MM not doing any coaching. He needs to simply step up and help:

https://s3-eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/firstandgoal-wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/09132413/ows_150852523057544.jpg

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2018, 01:16 PM
What makes ya'all think there even are "leaks"? “I don’t talk about it to the media and I don’t think my agent is, either.” That's a clear denial on the part of Rodgers that he hasn't done any leaking or rumor-mongering, and a reasonably sure one that his agent hasn't either.

I say again, this is most likely trouble making assholes of the God damned fake news media making shit up.

pbmax
06-05-2018, 01:29 PM
What makes ya'all think there even are "leaks"? “I don’t talk about it to the media and I don’t think my agent is, either.” That's a clear denial on the part of Rodgers that he hasn't done any leaking or rumor-mongering, and a reasonably sure one that his agent hasn't either.

I say again, this is most likely trouble making assholes of the God damned fake news media making shit up.

Packers don't normally leak, but they leak like a sieve when it suits their interest (see Favre, Brett).

Its not a clear denial on his agent's behalf. He doesn't "think" the agent has leaked? Doesn't he know? Does he care? Has he issued instructions not to leak?

The guys reporting this are not columnists or bloggers making a scenario up to support a working theory. These are actual reporters with sources. Now, their trust in their sources may be misplaced or the sources could be one step too removed to be certain. But RapSheet gets enough things about the Packers correct (things that the coach has flat denied before until he admits its the case) that he deserves some benefit of the doubt. RapSheet is also the Schefter for the League, meaning most of his sources are team related.

So if its not Dunn, its probably RapHseet's source who speaks to members of the Packers admin on a regular basis. The most often cited figure in this is McCarthy's agent, whose name I cannot remember at the moment.

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Even calling it a "leak" kinda presupposes truth to the rumors. There's no evidence whatsoever of that, and plenty of denials - hoping to finish his career in Green Bay, etc.

I say AGAIN, it's probably these worthless media assholes just making things up/stirring up trouble and a lot of fans falling for their sick shit. Sheeeesh, why would anybody trust the word of God damned media shitheads about anything anyway?

pbmax
06-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Even calling it a "leak" kinda presupposes truth to the rumors. There's no evidence whatsoever of that, and plenty of denials - hoping to finish his career in Green Bay, etc.

I say AGAIN, it's probably these worthless media assholes just making things up/stirring up trouble and a lot of fans falling for their sick shit. Sheeeesh, why would anybody trust the word of God damned media shitheads about anything anyway?

Two reasons: they have been right on contract matters far more often than wrong.

Second, the group of people who provably lie more often are the subjects of the coverage. And so far we have one denial.

texaspackerbacker
06-05-2018, 09:27 PM
So you'd take the word of a couple of media pukes over Aaron Rodgers?

pbmax
06-05-2018, 10:25 PM
So you'd take the word of a couple of media pukes over Aaron Rodgers?

Yes. I'd bet you lunch that they have either discusses or counter-proposed an opt-out clause. And should it make it into his deal, Rodgers will not be made out to be a liar. Because the only thing he told you was that he didn't leak it. Someone else did.

texaspackerbacker
06-06-2018, 04:24 AM
"Leak it"? There is no "it". I'd bet you lunch this is just made up crap by media shitheads (just about all of the media, sports and otherwise).

Rodgers, of course, also said he'd like to finish out his career in Green Bay. Do you think he was lying about that too?

If they ever did actually discuss "it", it would be to have a good laugh about it.

pbmax
06-06-2018, 08:12 AM
"Leak it"? There is no "it". I'd bet you lunch this is just made up crap by media shitheads (just about all of the media, sports and otherwise).

Rodgers, of course, also said he'd like to finish out his career in Green Bay. Do you think he was lying about that too?

If they ever did actually discuss "it", it would be to have a good laugh about it.

Are you constantly surprised when the same unexpected things keep happening to you, on what must be a yearly basis?

Do you remember when Favre said he would retire rather than play for another franchise?

He kinda meant that too, though not in any literal sense.

Deputy Nutz
06-06-2018, 08:16 AM
He can still want an opt out clause and he can still want to finish his career in Green Bay. It's not that hard. He wants to continue to be the highest paid player.

The truth is, Rodgers is in team control for the next four years. He has two seasons left on his contract and then the team can franchise him for two more seasons. It's not ideal for either side, but Rodgers is a me guy when it comes to his financial standing in the NFL, and it will be a something that the Packers will have to overcome if they hope to make it back to the Super Bowl.

texaspackerbacker
06-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Are you constantly surprised when the same unexpected things keep happening to you, on what must be a yearly basis?

Do you remember when Favre said he would retire rather than play for another franchise?

He kinda meant that too, though not in any literal sense.

Not to stir up an old hornets nest, but you could easily say Favre got shafted by the Packers - they basically did what they had to do. If Aaron Rodgers got treated the same, I don't doubt he would change his attitude too. However, there is not another GOAT QB on the Packers' horizon. So I very much doubt anything like that will happen. At any rate, the solution, from Rodgers' point of view, would be guaranteed money - the best deterrent against getting cut like Favre in a few years. And I expect the Packers will give him a whole lot of that.

Upnorth
06-07-2018, 09:50 AM
From the packers perspective, what is the rush? They have 2 full years left on the contract. Make babysteps this year and then next off season go hard. Now that Ryan has signed, the best 2019 FA QB is either Nick Foles or Tyrod Taylor... so where is the upward pressure on the contract value?

Deputy Nutz
06-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Not to stir up an old hornets nest, but you could easily say Favre got shafted by the Packers - they basically did what they had to do. If Aaron Rodgers got treated the same, I don't doubt he would change his attitude too. However, there is not another GOAT QB on the Packers' horizon. So I very much doubt anything like that will happen. At any rate, the solution, from Rodgers' point of view, would be guaranteed money - the best deterrent against getting cut like Favre in a few years. And I expect the Packers will give him a whole lot of that.

Favre never got cut by the Packers. He got traded to the Jets, then the Jets cut him when he retired and he unretired to sign for 25 million with the Vikings.

texaspackerbacker
06-07-2018, 01:28 PM
I stand corrected about Favre.

Fritz
06-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Extend Rodgers! Make him happy! He's talented; he can easily find another way to feel slighted.

The Shadow
06-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Keep Rodgers happy. You saw what the team was without him.

texaspackerbacker
06-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Amen to that (thank you, Ted).

Anti-Polar Bear
06-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Amen to that (thank you, Ted).

Thanks, Sherman.

The reason the Great Arm of a Butte (GAB) fell into the Polar Bear's lap, according to football personal guru, Bill Polian, was b/c back in the dickens year of '05, top rookies were still paid titanic contracts. Alotta hapless teams picking high that spring already had an established QB with a titanic contract on their rosters. Remember, abominable, greed-fucked pigs still run the NFL. It didn't make financial sense for the Queens to draft A-Rod high and hand him $40 M to sign when the great Daunte Culpepper was being paid a shitload of frogskins.

The Packers started the dickens '04 season 1-4. Had the Packers missed the playoffs that season, no mama effing way Todd would've drafted the GAB with a premium pick, especially since Favre was playing on a $100 M "lifetime" contract.

Thanks to Providence and Mike Sherman, the Packers ended up making the playoffs after that hapless 1-4 start. It was with Sherman's 24th overall pick that the Polar Bear used to draft the Great Arm of Butte. At the 24th spot, Rodgers couldn't demand a titanic contract at that time.

KYPack
06-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Sherman.

The reason the Great Arm of a Butte (GAB) fell into the Polar Bear's lap, according to football personal guru, Bill Polian, was b/c back in the dickens year of '05, top rookies were still paid titanic contracts. Alotta hapless teams picking high that spring already had an established QB with a titanic contract on their rosters. Remember, abominable, greed-fucked pigs still run the NFL. It didn't make financial sense for the Queens to draft A-Rod high and hand him $40 M to sign when the great Daunte Culpepper was being paid a shitload of frogskins.

The Packers started the dickens '04 season 1-4. Had the Packers missed the playoffs that season, no mama effing way Todd would've drafted the GAB with a premium pick, especially since Favre was playing on a $100 M "lifetime" contract.

Thanks to Providence and Mike Sherman, the Packers ended up making the playoffs after that hapless 1-4 start. It was with Sherman's 24th overall pick that the Polar Bear used to draft the Great Arm of Butte. At the 24th spot, Rodgers couldn't demand a titanic contract at that time.

Well Tank, this is the big day. With this post, it's obvious you've finally lost the last of your cookies (not that you started with that many).

Have a friend drive you to a nut doctor ASAP.

Maybe you can get some help, although it's probably way too late.

pbmax
07-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Mike Sherman is the Wisconsin monument to being Peter Principled.

After years of making decent (and worse coaches) into GMs, the fairy tale took a dramatic turn as Bob Harlan (who knew better) Peter Principled a good coach after having been proven right about splitting the job.

mraynrand
07-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Mike Sherman is the Wisconsin monument to being Peter Principled.

Do WI and PA get to share the Ray Rhodes monument?

George Cumby
07-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Well Tank, this is the big day. With this post, it's obvious you've finally lost the last of your cookies (not that you started with that many).

Have a friend drive you to a nut doctor ASAP.

Maybe you can get some help, although it's probably way too late.

He’s just throwing shit at the wall to see what will stick. Like PB said in another thread, he’s running out of material which means he’s getting more desperate.

pbmax
07-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Do WI and PA get to share the Ray Rhodes monument?

Complimentary roadside rest stops with a plaque containing an alarming amount of &%$#! profanity.

He was in PA longer, so Turnpike there. Maybe Highway 43 for him in WI.

pbmax
07-05-2018, 02:48 PM
He’s just throwing shit at the wall to see what will stick. Like PB said in another thread, he’s running out of material which means he’s getting more desperate.

Some trolls don't age well. Its a young mans game. Which is not to say you can't be a top performing old age troll, you just need to pace yourself like tex.

George Cumby
07-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Hahahahaha

texaspackerbacker
07-06-2018, 06:59 AM
Some trolls don't age well. Its a young mans game. Which is not to say you can't be a top performing old age troll, you just need to pace yourself like tex.

Uh, thanks, I think hahahahaha.

woodbuck27
07-07-2018, 06:34 AM
Extend Rodgers to make him happy and be done with it. You have the best player in the NFL so pay him as such.

Fritz
07-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Keep Rodgers happy. You saw what the team was without him.

Pay him what it takes, but make sure he's pissed off at someone somewhere. A pissed-off Rodgers is a great Rodgers.

As fans, we can help. Demean him, call him aging, say Starr and Favre and Don Majkowski were all better.

MadScientist
07-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Extend Rodgers to make him happy and be done with it. You have the best player in the NFL so pay him as such.

You still have to put a team together, and live within the cap. If Rodgers is asking for an opt-out, that impacts how they can structure the cap hits via signing bonus. Even if he isn't there still is the problem of structuring the deal. Fully guaranteeing the deal will also cause cap issues, so the numbers can't be faked with large salary the final year that never gets paid. I'm not surprised that it's taking time, even if both sides want it to happen.

woodbuck27
07-08-2018, 09:33 PM
You still have to put a team together, and live within the cap. If Rodgers is asking for an opt-out, that impacts how they can structure the cap hits via signing bonus. Even if he isn't there still is the problem of structuring the deal. Fully guaranteeing the deal will also cause cap issues, so the numbers can't be faked with large salary the final year that never gets paid. I'm not surprised that it's taking time, even if both sides want it to happen.

I hear you but it looks so far like Aaron Rodgers may have gone to school and how star players like Tom Brady and Brett Favre sacrificed salary to maintain a stronger Roster and certain key components (players).

It appears it's now close to happening according to this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783876-mark-murphy-packers-hope-to-sign-aaron-rodgers-to-new-contract-soon?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Mark Murphy: Packers Hope to Sign Aaron Rodgers to New Contract Soon

BY: MIKE CHIARI

" ... Green Bay Packers President Mark Murphy provided a somewhat optimistic update regarding quarterback Aaron Rodgers' contract situation on Wednesday.

According to WTMJ's Jay Sorgi, Murphy told KTI Country's Karen Dalessandro, "We hope to soon have a contract extension."..."

pbmax
07-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Woody's article hangs its hat on a very formulaic statement from Murphy to a country music radio station. I don't think you can read much into it other than he hasn't given up hope.

Fritz
07-14-2018, 08:15 AM
Any news on progress on the contract?

pbmax
07-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Any news on progress on the contract?

Nope. Other than Murphy's radio interview, not even new rumors.

Teamcheez1
07-15-2018, 03:10 PM
“I think definitely the way the Tom has done it is the way to try to model."
“Having guys and putting pieces around him was definitely something. When you take up a ton of money you kind of limit your team and who they can help you out with and put around you. I’m not naive enough to say that we don’t need a run game. We also need a good defense, we need good receivers, we need all these pieces. You can’t play as a quarterback and do it yourself so I’m more than willing to take less money than somebody else might in my position to put good guys around us.”

From Blake Bortles

red
07-15-2018, 04:36 PM
“Having guys and putting pieces around him was definitely something. When you take up a ton of money you kind of limit your team and who they can help you out with and put around you. I’m not naive enough to say that we don’t need a run game. We also need a good defense, we need good receivers, we need all these pieces. You can’t play as a quarterback and do it yourself so I’m more than willing to take less money than somebody else might in my position to put good guys around us.”

From Blake Bortles

heres the problem, the packers don't spend all the cap money they have. they haven't in years

so why give the team a break and take less money? the team has proven they aren't gonna spend what they save on him

take as much as you can from the team Aaron. you only live once, and the team is jack shit without you.. rodgers IS pretty much doing it all himself

bobblehead
07-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Woody's article hangs its hat on a very formulaic statement from Murphy to a country music radio station. I don't think you can read much into it other than he hasn't given up hope.

Yea, and I'm still pretty sure my high school girlfriend is gonna beg me to come back. 30 years seems about right for how long it takes her to appreciate me.

pbmax
07-16-2018, 01:35 PM

From Blake Bortles

Brady has recently concluded he was dumb for taking less money* which is why he and Bill have been at such public loggerheads over the offseason and whether or not Jimmy G gets to stay heir apparent.

So Bortles, true to form, isn't quite up to speed.

* Story seems to be it was to be able to sign/re-sign WRs and it netted him nothing.

pbmax
07-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Rodgers has confirmed they are looking at player control options for the new deal. However, I don't read this as tremendously optimistic on this point. However, he does see to hint if you want team friendly cap terms, you should surrender some control. Which seems equitable to me.

I have not found Peter King's write up on this yet.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Green-Bay-Packers-President-Mark-Murphy-Common-interest-in-getting-deal-done-with-Aaron-Rodgers-119850394/

During organized team activities, quarterback Aaron Rodgers dismissed reports that he was looking for some sort of unique structure to a contract extension as “conjecture” and not “really based in factual interactions.”

During an interview with NBC Sports’ Peter King, Rodgers sang a different tune.

“It’s only been on my mind because … people have been writing and talking about it a lot,” Rodgers said from the American Century Classic celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe. “There have been many conversations about it. I think that there’s some merit to looking into where you do a non-traditional contractual agreement. If anybody at this point is gonna be able to do something like that, I think there needs to be a conversation about it. I never said anything about [tying the contract to] the cap. I just think there’s ways to do contracts where you can still be competitive so the team is happy about it, but have some more freedom.”

Zool
07-16-2018, 03:39 PM
I have not found Peter King's write up on this yet.

Is it this one?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/15/aaron-rodgers-contract-sharks-peter-king-fmia/

pbmax
07-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Is it this one?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/15/aaron-rodgers-contract-sharks-peter-king-fmia/

Going to take some getting used to, seeing his byline under the Pro Football Talk banner.

texaspackerbacker
07-16-2018, 06:45 PM
The God damned sports media is almost as bad and fake news as the media in general - stirring up trouble where there is none and promoting untruths or half-truths just to get attention.

Does anybody here really think Rodgers wants to leave Green Bay or even have an option to do so? Speak up if you do hahahahaha.

Yeah, Brady apparently regrets giving the Patriots a home team friendly discount; Rodgers would probably be more unwise to do something similar, given the history under Ted of deficient team building. The new guy is a blank slate at this point, so to give up a few tens of millions on the spec wouldn't be smart. He could always restructure later of the team needed it.

red
07-16-2018, 07:00 PM
dp

red
07-16-2018, 07:03 PM
i can see rodgers just letting his contract run out and leaving

teams aren't loyal to their players, why should players be loyal to their teams? teams backload the shit out of deals all the time knowing damn well the players won't see a chunk of that deal

i've watched guys that favre and jordan leave teams that no one ever thought they would leave. even our great lombardi ended at the redskins

i can see it happening. will it? i hope not. at least until he's no longer useful to the packers

its no shock that hes been pissed of a bit at the shit teams that keep getting built around him, and the coaching, and other decisions made by the front office

if he sees greener pastures, he could go

bobblehead
07-16-2018, 10:51 PM
i can see rodgers just letting his contract run out and leaving

teams aren't loyal to their players, why should players be loyal to their teams? teams backload the shit out of deals all the time knowing damn well the players won't see a chunk of that deal

i've watched guys that favre and jordan leave teams that no one ever thought they would leave. even our great lombardi ended at the redskins

i can see it happening. will it? i hope not. at least until he's no longer useful to the packers

its no shock that hes been pissed of a bit at the shit teams that keep getting built around him, and the coaching, and other decisions made by the front office

if he sees greener pastures, he could go

I can see being pissed off that they can't call a running play to take some heat off him and the defense.

Zool
07-16-2018, 11:52 PM
I refuse to pull the stats again, but the Packers are almost always right in the middle of the NFL for running plays.

mraynrand
07-17-2018, 07:14 AM
I refuse to pull the stats again, but the Packers are almost always right in the middle of the NFL for running plays.

At some point, the Packers will realize that they need to invest in linemen to protect Rodgers and in running backs/running game to keep him upright. For some reason, they think they can totally ignore these two critical areas of the team.

Teamcheez1
07-17-2018, 08:43 AM
So the Packers haven't been investing in offensive lineman or running backs? Could of fooled me.

The area that seems the most lacking is pass rush LB's, and the secondary until this year with TT's questionable drafting. Every team has holes they need to fill and can't have all-pro's at every position.

Zool
07-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Could HAVE fooled you. Or could've.

Zool
07-17-2018, 08:49 AM
Also

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/992/384/ded.gif

mraynrand
07-17-2018, 08:55 AM
So the Packers haven't been investing in offensive lineman or running backs? Could of fooled me.

Packers have no interest in doing the things that will keep Rodgers healthy. They want him used up by the end of his contract so they don't have to waste all that money re-signing him. The organization has money coming in like crazy from things like the sledding hill and they don't need an entitled prima donna blackmailing them to spend more than they have to under the cap rules.

Teamcheez1
07-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Packers have no interest in doing the things that will keep Rodgers healthy. They want him used up by the end of his contract so they don't have to waste all that money re-signing him. The organization has money coming in like crazy from things like the sledding hill and they don't need an entitled prima donna blackmailing them to spend more than they have to under the cap rules.

So let me get this straight. The Packers are purposefully trying to ensure that Rodgers is sufficiently banged up/used up so they won't have to pay him? That's quite the conspiracy theory. I agree they don't want to be saddled with a large contract and then see Rodgers performance go downhill. They do have to think about how long he can maintain a consistently high performance, but that weighs into every contract negotiation at every position once you approach 30 years old.

mraynrand
07-17-2018, 09:29 AM
So let me get this straight. The Packers are purposefully trying to ensure that Rodgers is sufficiently banged up/used up so they won't have to pay him? That's quite the conspiracy theory. I agree they don't want to be saddled with a large contract and then see Rodgers performance go downhill. They do have to think about how long he can maintain a consistently high performance, but that weighs into every contract negotiation at every position once you approach 30 years old.

I figured the sledding hill would be a dead giveaway... :)

Joemailman
07-17-2018, 09:49 AM

It must be a conspiracy!