View Full Version : Packers signing Jimmy Graham

Rastak
03-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
58s58 seconds ago
More
Here we go: The #Packers are signing TE Jimmy Graham, source said. Huge move for GB.

red
03-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Well ok then

red
03-13-2018, 03:17 PM
3 year deal according to Schefter

pbmax
03-13-2018, 03:18 PM
Man I don't like this. I hope I am wrong, but I don't like it. Old, doesn't block, bleh.

But, they did need another threat and there were no locks outside the 3 starting WRs.

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 03:19 PM
G-U-T-E Y!

Gutey! Gutey! Gutey!

red
03-13-2018, 03:21 PM
The good news is that he’s only 31 I think. He’s 6’7, and he can actually catch the ball

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Man I don't like this. I hope I am wrong, but I don't like it. Old, doesn't block, bleh.

But, they did need another threat and there were no locks outside the 3 starting WRs.

I like it. He's got something left. I never really thought the Seahawks integrated him very well into their offense, but he still had 10 TD's last year.

red
03-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Didn’t we get a new o-line coach?

Maybe our o-line can do their own blocking for a change without help from all the other players on the field

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Hallelujah! This makes my day!

More signings would help too, but IMO, this was the big one - the most necessary.

red
03-13-2018, 03:27 PM
I think this is a much better signing then Bennett was last year, but I’m not expecting the jimmy graham from 6 years ago either

Rutnstrut
03-13-2018, 03:33 PM
He doesn't block, but he isn't really a TE. He's a WR, part of the problem the Seachickens had with him is they tried to turn him into a blocking TE. If stubby uses him right, this will be gold. On another note I am hearing Nelson has for sure been released. Anyone else heard this?

Bossman641
03-13-2018, 03:37 PM

Not really a fan either. They need a dynamic TE but not one allergic to blocking.

red
03-13-2018, 03:40 PM
He doesn't block, but he isn't really a TE. He's a WR, part of the problem the Seachickens had with him is they tried to turn him into a blocking TE. If stubby uses him right, this will be gold. On another note I am hearing Nelson has for sure been released. Anyone else heard this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-reportedly-releasing-longtime-top-wide-receiver-jordy-nelson/amp/

I would have rather cut cobb

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm watching it on the NFL Network right now and this look like a done deal.

This is good news !

NO 88 in the Green And Gold !

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 03:51 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-reportedly-releasing-longtime-top-wide-receiver-jordy-nelson/amp/

I would have rather cut cobb

Belichick is drooling watching for that possible Packer move.

I bet Aaron Rodgers is having a sad evening over this announcement.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2018, 04:02 PM
Hasn't Graham been injured in recent years?

Zool
03-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Hasn't Graham been injured in recent years?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrahJi00.htm

Yes in 2015. 32 games played in the last 2 years, but only 28 starts. Over his career 121 games played of a possible 128.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2018, 04:13 PM
So that would be a "no." Guess I remember he had a slow start after trade to Seattle, was said to be injury related from previous season.

red
03-13-2018, 04:18 PM
So that would be a "no." Guess I remember he had a slow start after trade to Seattle, was said to be injury related from previous season.

They were using him all kind of wrong that first year

George Cumby
03-13-2018, 04:46 PM
I don’t want to win the off season.

denverYooper
03-13-2018, 04:47 PM
I hope the 3rd time is a charm in the TE market.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 05:15 PM
I hope the 3rd time is a charm in the TE market.

Jimmy hopes his 3rd team is the charm.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 05:16 PM
I don’t want to win the off season.

By my scorecard they are 1-2, so far so good. We could lose this decision on points easily.

GoPackGo
03-13-2018, 05:41 PM
I like it

wist43
03-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Wanted ASJ, but I've always liked Graham's game.

DJ Moore
Sutton
James Washington

????

pittstang5
03-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Wanted ASJ,

There's still time.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Jimmy hopes his 3rd team is the charm.

Sounds like this new guy could be a real pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_6eKEuMmU

pbmax
03-13-2018, 08:34 PM
ASJ is said to want to go home to Seattle, but who knows who leaked that story.

Might be his ne'er-do-well brother who needs a lift to work.

bobblehead
03-13-2018, 10:00 PM

i hate this signing, but given that MM only knows ONE way to use a TE, Graham might be a good fit.

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 10:28 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/13/aaron-rodgers-just-liked-this-interesting-tweet-on-jimmy-graham-and-jordy-nelson/

Aaron Rodgers just liked this interesting tweet on Jimmy Graham and Jordy Nelson

Sports Illustrated’s official Twitter account linked to a story headlined, “The Packers are surrounding Rodgers with Super Bowl-caliber talent, starting with Jimmy Graham.”

Rich Eisen of NFL Network had a quick rebuttal, mentioning Nelson’s performance in Super Bowl MVP and Graham’s lack of appearances in the Super Bowl – which, in the present-day evaluation of Tuesday’s moves, probably means very little.

Still, Rodgers liked Eisen’s tweet.

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 10:36 PM
http://www.espn.com.au/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/44018/jimmy-graham-needs-jordy-nelson-like-connection-with-aaron-rodgers

Jimmy Graham needs Jordy Nelson-like connection with Aaron Rodgers

" ... An NFL scout said after Tuesday’s moves that, at this point, he would pick Graham over Nelson.

“But I’d rather have Cook,” the scout added.

Cook developed a Nelson-like chemistry with Rodgers during his only season with the Packers. They tried to do the same thing last offseason when they signed Martellus Bennett, but it turned into a disaster.

Now, it will be up to Graham to help soothe the sting of Nelson’s departure. ..."

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 11:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrRdgFOVmQ

Jimmy Graham 2016 Highlights - [HD]

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 11:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kHoY0fCF4c

Jimmy Graham - Avatar

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 11:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxRrhpo1hGM

JIMMY Graham THE MONSTER Highlight Reel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Graham

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 10:56 AM
G-U-T-E Y!

Gutey! Gutey! Gutey!

Keep on utilizing Belichickism, and the chances are good Gutekunst's gonna become the greatest German since Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo, and Zeppo's distant cousin, Karl.

Elite QB + Belichickism = Super Bowl Rings

PS: Where the hell is Madtown? I wanna change my username to "Pro-German Shepherd".

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Belichick traded for Danny Shelton. That's more a Belichick move than signing Graham after cutting Nelson. Packers FA is pretty much standing pat. Maybe they sign their own (Adams and maybe Burnett), but there's nothing so far that looks like any kind of higher risk, higher reward type of scenario.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Belichick traded for Danny Shelton. That's more a Belichick move than signing Graham after cutting Nelson. Packers FA is pretty much standing pat. Maybe they sign their own (Adams and maybe Burnett), but there's nothing so far that looks like any kind of higher risk, higher reward type of scenario.

Free agency has not yet officially started at this very moment in space-time, but the Pats appear to be a bit passive this off-season. However, in the past, they signed players like Revis Island, traded for Moss, Bennett, Talib and the such.

The German Shepherd just made a trade, albeit for a Hundley-clone (shoulda traded for Flash, fuck!). About to sign a couple of hotshot free agents. Not doubt Gutekunst is utilizing Belichickism. The off-season is still young, so hopefully he'll continue utilizing Belichickism even more - A good, fast, experienced corner would be awesome.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Free agency has not yet officially started at this very moment in space-time, but the Pats appear to be a bit passive this off-season. However, in the past, they signed players like Revis Island, traded for Moss, Bennett, Talib and the such.

The German Shepherd just made a trade, albeit for a Hundley-clone (shoulda traded for Flash, fuck!). About to sign a couple of hotshot free agents. Not doubt Gutekunst is utilizing Belichickism. The off-season is still young, so hopefully he'll continue utilizing Belichickism even more - A good, fast, experienced corner would be awesome.

You still have to remember that Bill the GM will trade/sign players that can really only be properly exploited by Bill the coach. That's why, generally speaking, Bill's FAs aren't big splash guys, but guys people later say about: "Whoa, how did Bill make such a shrewd GM move?"

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 12:41 PM
You still have to remember that Bill the GM will trade/sign players that can really only be properly exploited by Bill the coach. That's why, generally speaking, Bill's FAs aren't big splash guys, but guys people later say about: "Whoa, how did Bill make such a shrewd GM move?"

Well, if McCarthy can't find a way to exploit Jimmy G, Wilk and even the Hundley-clone, then off with his head. Bring in J-Mac (I wanna add "to run the whole shebang," but I'm starting to like the German Shepherd).

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Well, if McCarthy can't find a way to exploit Jimmy G, Wilk and even the Hundley-clone, then off with his head.

I agree. But ask this guy how easy it is:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/mLf6-ZaWCe_4tq0-fwsuv4SEnQY=/0x0:2099x2958/1200x800/filters:focal(816x508:1150x842)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/58427541/usa_today_9791448.0.jpg

Thanks to Wilson and Graham, Bevelled Head may never get a HC job outside of division AA high school football.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 01:20 PM
Keep on utilizing Belichickism, and the chances are good Gutekunst's gonna become the greatest German since Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo, and Zeppo's distant cousin, Karl.

Elite QB + Belichickism = Super Bowl Rings

PS: Where the hell is Madtown? I wanna change my username to "Pro-German Shepherd".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Qt3iaXJXx0I/UG8NguT1CrI/AAAAAAAAMT8/7-ftitMGJQU/s1600/CapitalCooking_Cabo_September+27%252C+2012_66+copy .jpg

I'm a little busy !

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 02:00 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680603/2018-nfl-free-agency-grades-big-trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell

A Grade on TE Jimmy Graham Signing is available by clicking on this LINK and paging down.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 02:05 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680603/2018-nfl-free-agency-grades-big-trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell

A Grade on TE Jimmy Graham Signing is available by clicking on this LINK and paging down.

Thanks for the link. Looks like Jimmy G got $30 M over 3 years, 22 M guaranteed.

Awesome signing.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 02:07 PM
In the 2017 Season TE Jimmy Graham was strictly a red zone weapon.

He averaged just 9.1 yards per catch but scored 10 touchdowns.

All 10 came in the red zone, which was the most of any tight end in the NFL.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the link. Looks like Jimmy G got $30 M over 3 years, 22 M guaranteed.

Awesome signing.

It should produce for the Packers as long as the Offense can get into the Red Zone often.

Gotarace
03-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Christ Jimmy didn't come cheap...30 million for 3 years with 22 million of it paid in the first 2 years. Hope this gamble pays off.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Christ Jimmy didn't come cheap...30 million for 3 years with 22 million of it paid in the first 2 years. Hope this gamble pays off.

Given the Green Bay Packers history with TE's ..... Yikes !

jklowan
03-14-2018, 06:59 PM
I'll be the 1st to say it, WAY OVER PAID, Dick rod would have been fine for 2-3 mill a season. I would prefer a corner for that cash and draft a TE in the 4th. TE are useless in Stubby's offenses facepalm on this signing, 10.5 million a year for a TE that can't block, hope Rodgers works on flexibility this offseason, good god I hate this signng!!!

Harlan Huckleby
03-14-2018, 08:15 PM
What would Aaron say?

Joemailman
03-14-2018, 08:29 PM
I'll be the 1st to say it, WAY OVER PAID, Dick rod would have been fine for 2-3 mill a season. I would prefer a corner for that cash and draft a TE in the 4th. TE are useless in Stubby's offenses facepalm on this signing, 10.5 million a year for a TE that can't block, hope Rodgers works on flexibility this offseason, good god I hate this signng!!!

Overpaid, but makes the team better. TE's seldom contribute much as rookies. Better chance of getting immediate help in the draft at WR. Graham/Somebody better than Dickrod/Jordy.

Bretsky
03-14-2018, 09:22 PM

Ploder's not worth $2--$3; pay the Bears or Vikings to take him so they have a guy Bretsky could cover

Yes, he's overpaid. But he's a baller and this makes GB a lot better.

I'd take Graham at TE over Allan Robinson or Sammy Watkins; compared to what they got paid he's a value

Guiness
03-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Ploder's not worth $2--$3; pay the Bears or Vikings to take him so they have a guy Bretsky could cover

I'd take Graham at TE over Allan Robinson or Sammy Watkins; compared to what they got paid he's a value

That contract Watkins got is RIDICULOUS. $34 million over 2 years, smh. Don't get that at all.

wist43
03-14-2018, 10:23 PM
I'm fine with the contract and with bringing Graham in...

Couple of ifs with Wilkerson, but if he can return to form - excellent signing, worth the gamble.

Saw a report that the Packers were pursuing Rashaan Melvin, CB, Colts... Melvin for Randall?? In a heartbeat.

I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing from Gute.

wist43
03-14-2018, 10:25 PM

Something else to consider too, is that this crop of TE's in the draft is very weak. I wouldn't even consider one of those guys before the 4th round.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 11:15 PM
That contract Watkins got is RIDICULOUS. $34 million over 2 years, smh. Don't get that at all.

+1.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 11:23 PM

Free Agency Insanity. :whaa:

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 11:28 PM

Couple of ifs with Wilkerson, but if he can return to form - excellent signing, worth the gamble.

Saw a report that the Packers were pursuing Rashaan Melvin, CB, Colts... Melvin for Randall?? In a heartbeat.

FA CB Rashaan Melvin College: Northern Illinois

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8841/rashaan-melvin

Packers and Raiders pursuing Rashaan Melvin ... Mar 14 - 4:47 PM

That will be a really good analysis result and getting it done.

Fritz
03-15-2018, 06:03 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Qt3iaXJXx0I/UG8NguT1CrI/AAAAAAAAMT8/7-ftitMGJQU/s1600/CapitalCooking_Cabo_September+27%252C+2012_66+copy .jpg

I'm a little busy !

Whhich one's Mad?

bobblehead
03-15-2018, 07:55 AM

Agreed. Now that I see the contract I REALLY hate it. I said seattle made a dumb trade when they got Jimmy and I was right. I do think MM will use him correctly, but 10 million a year?? No way.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 08:03 AM

Affirmative.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Agreed. Now that I see the contract I REALLY hate it. I said seattle made a dumb trade when they got Jimmy and I was right. I do think MM will use him correctly, but 10 million a year?? No way.

You'd rather have the German Shepherd pay D-Rod 2-3 million bucks annually? You're crazy. D-Rod is as fruitless as an apple tree on the north pole, if not more. So slow, Bretsky could cover him. Makes Jimmy G look like Bubba Franks as a blocker.

Which of the current Pack free agents deserves to be re-signed at $2-3 M/yr? Janis.

Pugger
03-15-2018, 08:30 AM

:tup:

Joemailman
03-15-2018, 08:46 AM

This seashells and balloons version of Wist is going to take a little getting used to. ;) (Thanks Al McGuire)

pbmax
03-15-2018, 08:56 AM
McCarthy will use him better than Bevell did because he won't be constrained by a defensive minded head coach who wants to block and run first.

But $10 mil per year is Jordy money and I am not sure he's going to have a Jordy kinda year. It'll take a few games to get up to speed.

wist43
03-15-2018, 09:16 AM
This seashells and balloons version of Wist is going to take a little getting used to. ;) (Thanks Al McGuire)

Lol... even a brat in the middle of a tantrum will settle down when ya give em what they want :)

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 09:22 AM

Signing Melvin would really be the silver tuna.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 09:29 AM
McCarthy will use him better than Bevell did because he won't be constrained by a defensive minded head coach who wants to block and run first.

But $10 mil per year is Jordy money and I am not sure he's going to have a Jordy kinda year. It'll take a few games to get up to speed.

Tony G was traded to Atlanta at age 33 after Thompson failed to acquire him. In 5 seasons with the Falconers, Gonzalez averaged 82 catches, 837 yards and 7 TDs a year.

Jimmy G is more athletic than Tony G. A-Rod is a better QB than Matty Ice. A-Rod and Jimmy G are gonna light up the league.

run pMc
03-15-2018, 11:38 AM
I hated this signing, but I'm coming around. It's a pricey contract, but if his athleticism doesn't leave him he could be a monster down the seam and in the red zone. He will still command a double team, and be as good as Finley. Assuming he stays healthy. Is that worth Jordy money?

It will take him a while to get on same page. I'm gonna guess he'll be in the neighborhood of 60 catches, 750 yards, 8 TDs. If he approaches Tony Gonzalez production (highly unlikely IMO) it will definitely be worth it. They'll need a blocking TE, but they shouldn't pay for one.

woodbuck27
03-15-2018, 12:16 PM
I hated this signing, but I'm coming around. It's a pricey contract, but if his athleticism doesn't leave him he could be a monster down the seam and in the red zone. He will still command a double team, and be as good as Finley. Assuming he stays healthy. Is that worth Jordy money?

It will take him a while to get on same page. I'm gonna guess he'll be in the neighborhood of 60 catches, 750 yards, 8 TDs. If he approaches Tony Gonzalez production (highly unlikely IMO) it will definitely be worth it. They'll need a blocking TE, but they shouldn't pay for one.

If the chemistry between Aaron Rodgers and Jimmy Graham reaches the level we saw with Jordy Nelson this Contract will be solid.

The 750 Yards average may be a stretch.

I see him at closer to 600 yards MAX and 6-8 TD's. He's not a blocking TE. He's very likely going to be 'a Red Zone' Specialist.

This contract for Jimmy Graham is RICH for 6 TD's average per Season !

His contract needs to be backed up by ensuring his attitude as a Packer (Hello Aaron Rodgers!) and an excellent conditioning Program. The Conditioning Team in Green Bay needs to step up it's game. We see way too many player lost games.

Here ... his NFL Stat's and He's now 31 Years of age :

http://www.nfl.com/player/jimmygraham/497236/careerstats

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Unless Gutey acquires a legitimate #1 receiver, Graham should have little problems topping 1000 yards with a healthy A-Rod.

J-Mike never had ohsopretty stats cos he had share the rock with some pretty good players. The Packs best receiver at this moment is Adams, probably a 2 on most teams.

run pMc
03-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Unless Gutey acquires a legitimate #1 receiver, Graham should have little problems topping 1000 yards with a healthy A-Rod.

J-Mike never had ohsopretty stats cos he had share the rock with some pretty good players. The Packs best receiver at this moment is Adams, probably a 2 on most teams.

Fair points. I think if Graham is drawing double coverage that will help Adams and whomever else they trot out.
Whether this is a good signing comes down to 3 things for me: (1) whether he can stay healthy, (2) whether he can click with Rodgers and the offense, (3) whether he approaches his NO production vs. his SEA production.
I know there are a lot of MM haters, but I fully expect him to be able to incorporate things into their offensive scheme that work to Graham's strengths.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrahJi00.htm

denverYooper
03-15-2018, 03:38 PM

They just need Adams to have a Jordy kinda year.

I think they are looking to add a different dimension with Graham.

pbmax
03-15-2018, 03:41 PM
They just need Adams to have a Jordy kinda year.

I think they are looking to add a different dimension with Graham.

I hope so. I miss the days of the Big 5, when the only two questions were when the offense gonna blow past 30 points.

And would the defense keep it under 30.

bobblehead
03-15-2018, 03:45 PM

If you need a blocker at TE that can't catch the ball you use a tackle. If you need a receiver at TE that can't block you use a receiver.

Jimmy has some value, and in MMs offense which doesn't like to call run plays and telegraphs the fuck out of it when he does, Jimmy should be a good fit. I'm just not convinced 10 mil is a good price for a big receiver.

call_me_ishmael
03-15-2018, 03:56 PM
The player you folks who want a stud blocker and receiver are looking for is Rob Gronkowski, greatest TE in NFL history. I think Graham will be good enough.

mraynrand
03-15-2018, 05:41 PM
If you need a blocker at TE that can't catch the ball you use a tackle. If you need a receiver at TE that can't block you use a receiver.

Jimmy has some value, and in MMs offense which doesn't like to call run plays and telegraphs the fuck out of it when he does, Jimmy should be a good fit. I'm just not convinced 10 mil is a good price for a big receiver.

This is far too simplistic. A big WR does not a TE make. The TE is the mismatch guy - too tall for d-backs too fast for LBs, and if you're lucky, strong enough to run block or pass pro.

I'll take the mismatch guy who can run like a deer, doesn't wear oven mitts and fall over after catching the ball, and doesn't fake an injury to get to NE.

SMBASS
03-15-2018, 06:19 PM
I hope so. I miss the days of the Big 5, when the only two questions were when the offense gonna blow past 30 points.

And would the defense keep it under 30.

Just me but I wouldn't miss those days one bit because in the end it doesn't win you shit. I want to see the type of team where the O can avg. somewhere in the mid-20's and still win around 75 - 80% of their games. You still need to be able to move the ball and have some firepower on O but I'm sick of watching video game offenses that fizzle out when the games start to matter. I still contend that the majority of the time it's easier for a good O to have a bad day than a good D to have a bad day.

Bretsky
03-15-2018, 09:40 PM

oh frickin great; Wist is turning into a pussy

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN HERE.....lol

Bretsky
03-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Something else to consider too, is that this crop of TE's in the draft is very weak. I wouldn't even consider one of those guys before the 4th round.

I'm ok "overpaying" for Graham; think he's a great fit. We can find another WR in the draft if need be but we won't find a TE most likely

bobblehead
03-15-2018, 10:43 PM
This is far too simplistic. A big WR does not a TE make. The TE is the mismatch guy - too tall for d-backs too fast for LBs, and if you're lucky, strong enough to run block or pass pro.

I'll take the mismatch guy who can run like a deer, doesn't wear oven mitts and fall over after catching the ball, and doesn't fake an injury to get to NE.

I understand I'm simplifying it a bit, but a big WR that can go split the seem isn't that rare. Graham in his prime was exactly that. He wasn't a TE, he NEVER blocked, he was simply a 6'7" WR. There's a handful of 6'5" WR who aren't that far behind him which is why I never understood the love.

Bennet was 1) misused and 2) a punk who lost most of his speed. I thought in getting him and Kendricks we were committed to mismatching the defense. You know, run the ball with authority against the dime. Alas, stubby is stubby and a zebra has stripes.

pbmax
03-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Just me but I wouldn't miss those days one bit because in the end it doesn't win you shit. I want to see the type of team where the O can avg. somewhere in the mid-20's and still win around 75 - 80% of their games. You still need to be able to move the ball and have some firepower on O but I'm sick of watching video game offenses that fizzle out when the games start to matter. I still contend that the majority of the time it's easier for a good O to have a bad day than a good D to have a bad day.

I think more than a letdown or bad day its matchups. Chiefs, Seahawks and 49ers could pass rush with four and cover well in man. So some great Packer Offenses struggled to get past 20 on them.

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 01:16 AM
I think more than a letdown or bad day its matchups. Chiefs, Seahawks and 49ers could pass rush with four and cover well in man. So some great Packer Offenses struggled to get past 20 on them.

not to mention the Giants

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 01:20 AM
fair points, but I don't think anyone is 'simply' a 6'7" receiver - certainly not Graham. Let's see if he causes the expected trouble for defenses before lamenting his non-existent blocking.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 02:31 AM
I understand I'm simplifying it a bit, but a big WR that can go split the seem isn't that rare. Graham in his prime was exactly that. He wasn't a TE, he NEVER blocked, he was simply a 6'7" WR. There's a handful of 6'5" WR who aren't that far behind him which is why I never understood the love.

Bennet was 1) misused and 2) a punk who lost most of his speed. I thought in getting him and Kendricks we were committed to mismatching the defense. You know, run the ball with authority against the dime. Alas, stubby is stubby and a zebra has stripes.

The Packers certainly overpaid for Jimmy Graham. He doesn't BLOCK and the Packers paid Rob Gronkowski MONEY for him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski-6551/

Rob Gronkowski Stat's:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GronRo00.htm

GRONK may not only be arguably the best Receiver in the NFL but he's certainly the very BEST Blocking TE in the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baldys-breakdowns/0ap3000000902853/Instant-Playbook-Why-Gronk-is-the-best-blocking-tight-end-in-football

So it is what it is and done and 'a we'll see'. The Packers paid TOP Dollar for a Specialist at best ' a Red Zone Specialist' TE.

Keep TE Jimmy Graham in the game as an every down TE (** unless he can be coached up to block **) and you risk it all and another serious injury to the Franchise EVERYTHING player and Aaron Rodgers.

The Packers paid huge CAP to a player where that CAP money might have been far better utilized UPGRADING (even maintaining) the Packer 'D'. This signing looks great seeing all that Jimmy Graham has been.We are looking at a Jimmy Graham as a key member of a Packer Offense and three Seasons.

** Here's where Jimmy Graham needs to MAN UP ! Man the 'H"up for all that money the Packers have handed to him.

I like the Muhammed Witherspoon signing better and that's going to come down to solid coaching and motivation.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 04:54 AM
Bump.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 04:57 AM
How will the Packers use Jimmy Graham? | Film Review

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baldys-breakdowns/0ap3000000921200/How-will-the-Packers-use-Jimmy-Graham-Film-Review

run pMc
03-16-2018, 09:53 AM
In his last seasons with NO he fought to get classified as a WR, so I think he's a WR in a TE's body and will probably be used as such. Still a mismatch for DB's, and LB's. Not Jordy though -- they need a sideline receiver or two.

Go back and watch how PHI beat MIN in the NFCC -- Ertz killed them, and they also ran a lot of slants and stuff in the middle of the field.

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 10:45 AM
In his last seasons with NO he fought to get classified as a WR, so I think he's a WR in a TE's body and will probably be used as such.

He wanted WR money.

Well, he got it.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2018, 11:04 AM
I'm ok "overpaying" for Graham; think he's a great fit. We can find another WR in the draft if need be but we won't find a TE most likely

Plus, in football years, TEs do not age as fast as WRs. Gonzalez was still pimping in his late 30's. Pretty sure Jason Witten fought in the War for Southern Independence, and he's still productive.

Maclin and Pryor are still out there. If not one of them, re-sign Janis and insert him into the lineup. Or draft Ridley.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 11:33 AM
In his last seasons with NO he fought to get classified as a WR, so I think he's a WR in a TE's body and will probably be used as such. Still a mismatch for DB's, and LB's. Not Jordy though -- they need a sideline receiver or two.

Go back and watch how PHI beat MIN in the NFCC -- Ertz killed them, and they also ran a lot of slants and stuff in the middle of the field.

I agree that bringing in Jimmy Graham has real potential for the Red Zone Offense. Aaron Rodgers will work his tail off to see something special happen with this TE but the Packer 'O' has to get into the Red Zone first. Do so with Aaron Rodgers on his feet and that will take a solid blocking TE to assist that primary need.

Randall Cobb is a slot receiver. Will someone evolve out of the rest as that other NO. 1 or 2 Guy to take heat off Adams? That's at best realistically a NO. The Packers need to draft an immediate presence at WR Featured.

It appears (today RE: the Packers moves /no moves at Defensive Back) that our Secondary is even weaker that the mess we saw last Season. This must be somehow and realistically be a PRIMARY FOCUS. No way should Aaron Rodgers be asked to or expected to carry this team as he has. He needs real help.

pbmax
03-16-2018, 07:38 PM
not to mention the Giants

I must have forgotten what you are talking about.

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 06:41 AM
I must have forgotten what you are talking about.

defenses that stifled the Packers O.

pbmax
03-17-2018, 08:09 AM
defenses that stifled the Packers O.

No, I mean I REALLY don't want to remember what you are talking about.

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 09:01 AM
No, I mean I REALLY don't want to remember what you are talking about.

:)

pbmax
03-18-2018, 08:53 PM
Demovsky has the contract numbers:

Details on Jimmy Graham‘s contract with the Packers: it's three years and $30 million and includes an $11 million signing bonus. It also includes a $5 million roster bonus due on the third day of the 2019 league year. Graham will make $2 million in salary and other bonuses this season for a total of $13 million in the first year. The $11 million signing bonus is the only guaranteed money.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

First year cap is $5.67 mil. Dead money after this year is $7.3 mil with $17 million (over two years) to cushion the blow of letting him go.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 06:49 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-daily-news-story/article-1/Five-things-to-know-about-Jimmy-Graham/b1d1acb2-215a-488e-a603-bd7f61d20978

Posted Mar 16, 2018

Wes Hodkiewicz packers.com staff writer @WesHod

Five-time Pro Bowl tight end brings an impressive resume to Green Bay

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-daily-news-story/article-1/Five-things-to-know-about-Jimmy-Graham/b1d1acb2-215a-488e-a603-bd7f61d20978#ixzz5AC8m4Tjv

A Fans Comments:

" ...Graham is all about trust. He works with his QB all year around. He got very close to Wilson. (Graham was in his wedding) And he had the same relationship with Brees who threw him under the bus and hardened him up a bit. Rodgers likes to lob. Graham is 6'7" probably 6'8" in cleats. Throw him a lob like you do in the post and very few can out jump him. And he's strong. They called him big sexy in NOLA.

Graham is a cool cat. He's standoffish at first, but the 12s took to him BIG TIME! Even Sherman trusted him at the end of the day. If he stays healthy, I hope he does well for your team. I think Rodgers will click with him.

Best to y'all this year!

PS: Check out his pilot videos. Very cool. ..."

pbmax
03-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Demovsky has the contract numbers:

First year cap is $5.67 mil. Dead money after this year is $7.3 mil with $17 million (over two years) to cushion the blow of letting him go.

Yeah, he could be cut after one year. But it really makes sense to do it after 2.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Yeah, he could be cut after one year. But it really makes sense to do it after 2.

https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/173476654/629081810/stock-photo-a-black-king-chess-piece-stands-in-front-of-a-mirror-the-reflection-shows-a-black-and-white-629081810.jpg

Is he really a ...

Bretsky
03-22-2018, 11:38 PM
I'm on record as saying I really like this signing.]

However, the deal ASJ landed is one I might have preferred if he'd have taken the same to go to Green Bay

DAMMIT...I'm back from Florida and snow is coming...this blows !

pbmax
06-11-2018, 08:22 AM
Jimmy Graham taking a cue from Bart Starr: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/06/11/packers-jimmy-graham-stem-cells-controversial-treatment/685848002/

Extracellular vesicles (EVs - produced by stem cells) extracted, cultivated and injected back into the patient to help with his healed but still painful patella repair.

Here is a neat little side effect/unexpected complication:

But one of the researchers, Dr. Victor Khabie, the chief of sports medicine at Northern Westchester County (N.Y.) Hospital, said he’s treated patients who had sustained kidney and liver damage after undergoing IV stem-cell treatment, presumably caused by contamination of the stem cells or additives needed for the IV infusion.

“One patient that comes to mind had almost immediate relief of various orthopedic alignments after a similar therapy, followed by organ damage some months later,” Khabie said in an email.

hoosier
06-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Jimmy Graham taking a cue from Bart Starr: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/06/11/packers-jimmy-graham-stem-cells-controversial-treatment/685848002/

Extracellular vesicles (EVs - produced by stem cells) extracted, cultivated and injected back into the patient to help with his healed but still painful patella repair.

Not to worry, there are stem cell treatments to repair kidney damage.

mraynrand
06-11-2018, 09:01 PM

In the video, Graham said he was skeptical that the treatment would work but thought it was worth trying anyway. By his description, the infusion took only about 15 minutes from setup to finish, and immediately afterward he walked back from the clinic to his hotel. There, he watched a movie in his room, and to his surprise, when he got up after prolonged sitting, he walked pain-free for the first time since his injury.

10:1 they injected something else in there to kill the pain.

bobblehead
06-12-2018, 12:45 AM
10:1 they injected something else in there to kill the pain.

I'll take the bet. This is science. Even the skeptic admitted the problem was probably caused by contamination.

mraynrand
06-12-2018, 07:00 AM
I'll take the bet. This is science. Even the skeptic admitted the problem was probably caused by contamination.

kinda sorta. Tell me what's in those exosome/vesicles that regrows cartilage in a few hours. lol.

pbmax
06-12-2018, 08:17 AM
It could all be in his head.

bobblehead
06-12-2018, 09:06 AM
kinda sorta. Tell me what's in those exosome/vesicles that regrows cartilage in a few hours. lol.

Nothing. However there is something that eliminated inflation body wide within a few hours. And over the course of weeks the cartilage repaired.

This is the new science of medicine. Using our bodies own defenses to fix it.

Immunotherapy in cancer is changing the world.

mraynrand
06-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Nothing. However there is something that eliminated inflation body wide within a few hours. And over the course of weeks the cartilage repaired.

I wouldn’t put non-specific stem cell therapies in the same category as immunotherapy for cancer.

It’s far more likely that simply controlling inflammation and the inflammatory response was the key Graham needed for what should be natural repair of the tendon.

But I confess I haven’t read a lot of this literature.

pbmax
06-12-2018, 11:20 AM

So if he was on a anti-inflammation protocol and it worked, then the vesicles contributed what exactly?

mraynrand
06-12-2018, 11:50 AM
So if he was on a anti-inflammation protocol and it worked, then the vesicles contributed what exactly?

Some mesenchymal stem cells or their vesicles can produce factors that in duce chondrocyte markers (possibly help repair) and suppress the expression of things that break down (or remodel) cartilage, as well as suppress inflammation and protect the resident cells that normally effect repairs from cellular death. I saw some osteoarthritis models that showed some promising results. I did see that they treated the cells with TGF beta - that kind of direct therapy has been under investigation for a while. So they are stimulating these cells in culture, then injecting them in or injecting their exosome/vesicles into various joints to see if they get repair or suppress osteoarthritis (mouse model). Seems somewhat promising for stimulating repair process or delaying some osteoarthritis effects. Still seems somewhat non-specific, but might help people showing slow normal recovery.

OK, back to work...

pbmax
06-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Some mesenchymal stem cells or their vesicles can produce factors that in duce chondrocyte markers (possibly help repair) and suppress the expression of things that break down (or remodel) cartilage, as well as suppress inflammation and protect the resident cells that normally effect repairs from cellular death. I saw some osteoarthritis models that showed some promising results. I did see that they treated the cells with TGF beta - that kind of direct therapy has been under investigation for a while. So they are stimulating these cells in culture, then injecting them in or injecting their exosome/vesicles into various joints to see if they get repair or suppress osteoarthritis (mouse model). Seems somewhat promising for stimulating repair process or delaying some osteoarthritis effects. Still seems somewhat non-specific, but might help people showing slow normal recovery.

OK, back to work...

Does it tell us anything that they are putting this into his circulatory system rather than injecting into the site?

Fritz
06-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Jimmie Graham - or your posts about him - are already costing me too much mental strain, and the season hasn't even started.

The Shadow
06-13-2018, 10:56 AM
If Graham is absolutely leveled by a LB this year, will the hit be called a 'Graham Cracker'?

mraynrand
06-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Jimmie Graham - or your posts about him - are already costing me too much mental strain, and the season hasn't even started.

I can recommend a stem cell treatment for your mental anguish.

Maxie the Taxi
06-13-2018, 03:37 PM
If Graham is absolutely leveled by a LB this year, will the hit be called a 'Graham Cracker'?

S'mores is it's a black guy who leveled him.

Joemailman
06-13-2018, 07:42 PM

Only if the LB is a GNA from south of the Mason/Dixon line.

George Cumby
06-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Only if the LB is a GNA from south of the Mason/Dixon line.

GNA = Gawddamn Nazi Asshole?

Anti-Polar Bear
06-17-2018, 05:39 AM

OK, back to work...

Now translate the above post into English. Not all of us are fluent in French Canadian.

mraynrand
06-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Now translate the above post into English. Not all of us are fluent in French Canadian.

ton corps te déteste

bobblehead
06-17-2018, 08:23 AM

1) Was he? I didn't see that, but I assume he probably was. 2) Most protocols don't work that well. 3) Would you admit that HgH would have healed him? 4) If HgH is made by the body and heals, but we need a little extra for some things as we age, why not EVs??

I'm not sure this is the real deal either. I haven't studied this one and its relatively new. I'm simply saying that using what the good lord put in our bodies to heal it when triggered correctly is changing medicine and this COULD be the case with EVs.

bobblehead
06-17-2018, 08:27 AM
Does it tell us anything that they are putting this into his circulatory system rather than injecting into the site?

There is only minimal difference with many substances. If its in your circulatory system it will find its way to the site.

bobblehead
06-17-2018, 08:29 AM

There is reason to believe it might help, but the science is about as settled as...nm, don't want to hurt any snowflakes feelings.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-17-2018, 03:20 PM
There is reason to believe it might help, but the science is about as settled as...nm, don't want to hurt any snowflakes feelings.

"Snowflakes" originated from one of my all time favorite flick, "Fight Club." I love watching the film's protagonist annihilates that abomination, Cap It Alism. :-)

Fritz
06-21-2018, 02:20 PM
I can recommend a stem cell treatment for your mental anguish.

Hmm. Maybe it will stimulate other parts as well.

red
10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
so this was one giant FAIL

fat mike still doesn't know how to use a receiving TE

graham might be the slowest human alive at this point, and he can no longer jump

he was suppose to be the answer to our red zone woes. but our redzone is just as fucked as ever

mraynrand
10-08-2018, 09:19 AM
I agree. But ask this guy how easy it is:

Thanks to Wilson and Graham, Bevelled Head may never get a HC job outside of division AA high school football.

As I said, way back at the signing, losing Jordy and signing Graham was at best standing pat. And if QB/Graham combo played out like in Seattle, it'd be a coach killer.

Joemailman
10-08-2018, 09:25 AM
so this was one giant FAIL

fat mike still doesn't know how to use a receiving TE

graham might be the slowest human alive at this point, and he can no longer jump

he was suppose to be the answer to our red zone woes. but our redzone is just as fucked as ever

Graham has been sitting out some practices because of a knee problem. After a couple of those end zone misses yesterday, I wonder if the knee is more of a problem than they're letting on. Looked like he could barely jump on the one throw.

That said, he's on a pace for about 70 catches for 800 yards, which would be the most by a Packer TE in a long time. Maybe ever. So he's not a total fail.

If people thought that Graham at age 32 was going to do for the Packers what he did for New Orleans when he was 26, I think they were a bit naive.

mraynrand
10-08-2018, 09:34 AM
That said, he's on a pace for about 70 catches for 800 yards, which would be the most by a Packer TE in a long time. Maybe ever. So he's not a total fail.

Sure, maybe. And that seems like what you'd get out of Jordy this year.

Joemailman
10-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Sure, maybe. And that seems like what you'd get out of Jordy this year.

800 yards from a TE is better than 800 yards from a WR. Jordy has been replaced by Allison who has similar numbers to Jordy. Graham/Allison> Jordy/Kendricks.

mraynrand
10-08-2018, 09:58 AM
800 yards from a TE is better than 800 yards from a WR. Jordy has been replaced by Allison who has similar numbers to Jordy. Graham/Allison> Jordy/Kendricks.

Good point, but overall not necessarily different. I think the Packers use him more as a WR anyway, But like I said, if they don't make effective use of him, it's a disaster (obviously). If the trajectory he's on continues, it's better than Seattle I think, but you'll have to look at overall receiving numbers to see if he has a positive impact above having Jordy (not to mention eyeball evidence - we will be able to see this by redone TDs, exploited mismatches, critical conversions, etc.). (Allison taking Jordy's numbers also means you have to look at Allison's numbers and see who is compensating for him at WR 3/4. What if Graham is compensating for/taking those receptions? Still, there's a lot of season left to be played. Hopefully he will be more than Bob Lanier posting up here and there.

red
10-08-2018, 10:29 AM
He’s also on pace for 3 tds on the year

He’s suppose to be our huge red zone target

Pugger
10-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Could Jimmy's issues with AR be stemming from Rodgers' injury and not practicing much since the season started?

red
10-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Could Jimmy's issues with AR be stemming from Rodgers' injury and not practicing much since the season started?

they should have had all training camp and pre season

oh wait, a-rod doesn't practice during those times

i have said more then a few times that a-rod may not need the practice, but other guys sure as hell need the practice time with him

gbgary
10-08-2018, 07:02 PM
if they'll use him like a TE, and Rodgers not look past him for some prayer down field, he'll have more of an impact. the scramble drill is not his thing.