PDA

View Full Version : Packers Releasing Nelson?

pbmax
03-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Packers are releasing WR Jordy Nelson, per source.

jklowan
03-13-2018, 03:35 PM
WOW, was kinda hoping they would extend at a lower rate

Rastak
Shefty knows all!

Joemailman
It's a tough business. Real tough sometimes.

denverYooper
03-13-2018, 03:39 PM
WOW, was kinda hoping they would extend at a lower rate

They might have cut him thinking that he can re-sign for less.

red
03-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Why him and not Cobb who hasn’t done shit since he got paid

Cobb adds nothing at all to this offense, at least jordy was a rods fav

I think we have to sign another WR now, Adams and the rest aren’t gonna cut it

Tony Oday
03-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Wow, just wow.

Bossman641
03-13-2018, 03:44 PM

Isn't that what they did with Hawk a few years back?

Is/Was there any reason to cut Nelson before signing another WR?

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 03:45 PM

I'm thinking the release means they weren't able to work out a new contract. Once they cut him 2.3 million becomes dead money.

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Yeah, of the two, I was hoping Nelson stayed - maybe it's far enough out from his knee injury that he would be back near 100%. They would have had to pay him way too much, though. This is not horrible news. It's an extreme net positive between this news and the Graham news.

beveaux1
03-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Yeah, of the two, I was hoping Nelson stayed - maybe it's far enough out from his knee injury that he would be back near 100%. They would have had to pay him way too much, though. This is not horrible news. It's an extreme net positive between this news and the Graham news.

I hope this is a net positive, but both of them are 31 years old and Graham seems a lot slower than he used to be. He also doesn't block which Nelson was able to do. This could be Richard Rodgers from a couple of years ago when he had a lot of catches for very little yardage.

Kind of telling that Saints and Packers were the only teams all in for Graham.

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Isn't that what they did with Hawk a few years back?

Is/Was there any reason to cut Nelson before signing another WR?

Cap room. I think it means they're not done with free agency.

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 03:56 PM
I hope this is a net positive, but both of them are 31 years old and Graham seems a lot slower than he used to be. He also doesn't block which Nelson was able to do. This could be Richard Rodgers from a couple of years ago when he had a lot of catches for very little yardage.

Kind of telling that Saints and Packers were the only teams all in for Graham.

There were others talking to Graham. There are 2 reasons why the Packers and Saints were the favorites. Rodgers and Brees.

The Shadow
03-13-2018, 03:56 PM
If they can re-sign Nelson to a more friendly number, great. But releasing him is a mistake.

Rastak
03-13-2018, 03:58 PM
If they can re-sign Nelson to a more friendly number, great. But releasing him is a mistake.

I think if you wanted him back you'd simply restructure his deal as opposed to cutting and resigning.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Agree that cutting him means they couldn't come to a resign number and therefore were willing to live with dead money hit.

Don't think he will be re-signed UNLESS he get zero offers from other teams. Unlike as its Day 1 of dub money day and the Redskins and Cowboys are always ready. If he somehow makes it through, then he might sign a low ball deal.

Prefer this over releasing Cobb. Someone has done a cutup of Cobb this past year and he was open a LOT of the time and never targeted.

beveaux1
03-13-2018, 03:59 PM
There were others talking to Graham. There are 2 reasons why the Packers and Saints were the favorites. Rodgers and Brees.

Maybe Bennett has jaded me, but I'm not as excited as others are about Graham. I do think that Nelson may be re-signed at a lower cap figure.

Patler
03-13-2018, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking the release means they weren't able to work out a new contract. Once they cut him 2.3 million becomes dead money.

That $2.3M would have always counted against the 2018 cap. It was the last of his pro-rated signing bonus and could not have been changed even in a renegotiated and extended deal.

beveaux1
03-13-2018, 04:02 PM
That $2.3M would have always counted against the 2018 cap. It was the last of his pro-rated signing bonus and could not have been changed even in a renegotiated and extended deal.

My guess is that Nelson will re-sign at a lower figure and this will be his final year.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Spotrac has already erased his contract from the site. Anyone know what his bonus situation was this year? Its normally the 3rd or 5th day of the League year, but technically a bonus could come due anytime.

Patler
03-13-2018, 04:05 PM
I expect Nelson will be back on a three year deal, with a $10M signing bonus and a minimum salary this year. That will give him the same cash he would have gotten this year anyway, but will cut his 2018 cap hit in half.

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 04:05 PM
I think if you wanted him back you'd simply restructure his deal as opposed to cutting and resigning.

Exactly.

Patler
03-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Spotrac has already erased his contract from the site. Anyone know what his bonus situation was this year? Its normally the 3rd or 5th day of the League year, but technically a bonus could come due anytime.

He had 500k roster and workout bonuses, each. Not sure if the roster was one time or per game.

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 04:11 PM
I expect Nelson will be back on a three year deal, with a $10M signing bonus and a minimum salary this year. That will give him the same cash he would have gotten this year anyway, but will cut his 2018 cap hit in half.

He'll be back ONLY possibly for two reasons and on the TERMS you write of:

A) He's a Green Bay Packer and doesn't need to really be in another Uni. Who can picture that !? Jordy now has that option to decide that.

B.) I'm sure Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be all 'hunky dory', finding out the Packers released a consistent Hook-Up. It's 'the Bird in the hand' concept.

Then, there is the ALL BUSINESS and age and likely non productivity or 'the Flip Side' and this says it all:

Jordy Nelson had to be released as a smart business move.

The 2017 and 2019 seasons, carried a different cap hit for Nelson. He played on a cap number > $11 M in 2017, and would have counted over $12 million this season. Most realistically, the Packers need an upgrade at the WR position.

Cutting Jordy Nelson means [B]$2.3 million in dead money[/B; yet gives the Packers Approx. $10 M in cap space. Thus releasing Jordy Nelson was simply fundamental good sense.

The Packers need a WR Talent to exceed WR Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson is now simply WR and Depth.

Watkins ( he's too risky) and Robinson ( liked him) may already be off the Market today. Rumour was that Sammy Watkins will reportedly sign with the KC Chiefs, and Allen Robinson with the Chicago Bears.

It 's getting tougher in the NFCN now with the Minnesota Vikings sing their QB of choice and signing Star QB KIrk Cousins to a 3 Year Fully Guaranteed $86 M Contract. The Vikings will be tough.

Realistically I see the Packers at best 2-3 Years away from a legitimate shot. The D' has to be overhauled in the Secondary. The Packers must improve greatly in terms of 'a Pass Rush'.

Rastak
03-13-2018, 04:11 PM

Having read the Packers statement it doesn't sound like he's coming back. To be honest, he looked like he was shot by the end of last year.

Patler
03-13-2018, 04:12 PM

If it is a player you think will test the market, I agree. If it is a player who wants to work with you, releasing him gives more flexibility as to terms that can and can't be renegotiated.

Fosco33
03-13-2018, 04:13 PM
I don't think cutting Nelson means Cobb is safe.

We need speed, size and agility. Cobb gives you the last...

red
03-13-2018, 04:14 PM

I tried looking too as soon as Parker posted that. Over the cap was wipped out right away too

Some people don’t screw around

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2018, 04:14 PM
I think Packers just got rid of a locker room cancer. Nelson had a 'tude.

Fosco33
03-13-2018, 04:15 PM
And please restructure or release cm3.

red
I don't think cutting Nelson means Cobb is safe.

We need speed, size and agility. Cobb gives you the last...

Agreed Cobb shouldn’t feel safe

Rastak
Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter
More
Former Packers’ WR Jordy Nelson, who turns 33 in May, wants to continue playing, per source.

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Gutey with a 7 PM PC tonight.

Fosco33
03-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Is Nelson the next packer that goes to the Vikes?

Patler
03-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Having read the Packers statement it doesn't sound like he's coming back. To be honest, he looked like he was shot by the end of last year.

It does sound that way, doesn't it? Maybe they figure he is done physically.

denverYooper
03-13-2018, 04:19 PM

I would guess no. Seems like they are pretty well set at WR at the moment.

Rastak
03-13-2018, 04:20 PM

I hope not, he looks like a shot fighter to use a boxing analogy.

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 04:21 PM

I agree. Not only did he not have deep speed, but he seemed unable to break away from defenders after catching a short pass. It happens to the best.

Zool
03-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Didn't realize he turns 33 in May. Wouldn't be surprised if he lands in Chicago for a year or 2.

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Agreed Cobb shouldn’t feel safe

Absolutely.

I would cheer if the Packers release CM III...let him GO !

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 04:59 PM
I hope not, he looks like a shot fighter to use a boxing analogy.

A solid signing in Kirk Cousins for your Team Rastak.

Congratulations.

I've always liked Kirk Cousins. The Minnesota Vikings are the Team now to beat in the NFCN.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
The fact #Packers WR Jordy Nelson was released means his career with them is over. If they intended to bring him back at lower cost they would have changed the existing deal.

The #Packers will clear $10.25 million in salary cap space with the release of WR Jordy Nelson. It will be used to fit Jimmy Graham onto their payroll.

In case you wondering, the #Packers will not be signing CB Trumaine Johnson. They were not in the running for him before the Graham signing. That deal will be way beyond their means.

Spoon does not think Jordy is coming back. Also claims he has team source that Nelson's release was to sign Graham, not afford another big deal.

GoPackGo
03-13-2018, 05:43 PM
I hope this puts the rest of the team on notice, especially the defense

pbmax
03-13-2018, 06:29 PM

That you can play for the 10-6 GBP and not get all your money OR move elsewhere and get more money and a chance to win more games?

The Packers, after Ted's tutelage, have traded one year of Nelson for 3 years of Graham.

Have to wonder about this with TE Jimmy Graham. in his last four games against the #Packers, he has 10 catches for 94 yards and a touchdown. Not exactly huge production.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-13-2018, 06:31 PM
Just came back to say this really sucks. All-time favorite packers to watch ever. Rodgers-Nelson-Favre in that order. Going to suck not seeing him out there.

Patler
03-13-2018, 07:07 PM
I hated seeing Nelson decline last year. I had hoped it was a combination of an undisclosed nagging injury, Hundley and age, because he had started the season quite well. Apparently, it was just age. I thought he might last a little longer, being a big, strong, country kid. Thought he might play til he was 35-36 like some of the other bigger receivers have. Oh well...............

Graham does not excite me at all. Hope it works out. I don't like TEs that play that soft.

wist43
03-13-2018, 07:11 PM
I'm going to miss him... figured either him or Cobb was a goner b/c of their cap numbers, was hoping it would be Cobb.

Maybe we resign him cheap??

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 07:44 PM
I'm going to miss him... figured either him or Cobb was a goner b/c of their cap numbers, was hoping it would be Cobb.

Maybe we resign him cheap??

They've already bid him farewell. Won't happen unless it's a James Jones-type situation.

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2018, 07:46 PM

well, it's not like Nelson was underperforming. The message would be, "Don't turn 33."

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2018, 07:47 PM
They've already bid him farewell. Won't happen unless it's a James Jones-type situation.

It's not final until NElson shows up on "Dancing with the Stars"

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2018, 07:51 PM
What a bummer, it doesn't sound like he'll be back. One of the all-time great Wisconsin and Packer guys. Not a bad word to say about him. All class, on and off the field, great role model, etc.

red
03-13-2018, 07:56 PM
What a bummer, it doesn't sound like he'll be back. One of the all-time great Wisconsin and Packer guys. Not a bad word to say about him. All class, on and off the field, great role model, etc.

jordy nelson - not from wisconsin

wist43
03-13-2018, 08:04 PM

It's a bittersweet day... lose Jordy, but hey!!! we're active in FA!!! LOL

Hoping Wilkerson can be rejuvenated, and Graham hasn't lost a step. I think both those guys make the Packers a better team. Throw that on top of jettisoning that worthless slug Randall, and all in all it's been a good few days for the Packers.

Joemailman
03-13-2018, 08:08 PM
jordy nelson - not from wisconsin

He's a farmer. Isn't that close enough?

Teamcheez1
03-13-2018, 08:11 PM
A solid signing in Kirk Cousins for your Team Rastak.

Congratulations.

I've always liked Kirk Cousins. The Minnesota Vikings are the Team now to beat in the NFCN.

I'll believe it when I see it.

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2018, 08:52 PM
packers news.com main banner image is Mo Wilkerson. You f'n kidding me? That's just disrespectful.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde

According to an #NFL source, the #Packers did offer Jordy Nelson the opportunity to come back at a significantly lower salary than he was slated to make. Not sure what the number was, but was told it wasn't for a lot more than the 10-year veteran minimum.

According to an #NFL source=agent or Rodgers given that it is Wilde reporting here

Rastak
03-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde

According to an #NFL source, the #Packers did offer Jordy Nelson the opportunity to come back at a significantly lower salary than he was slated to make. Not sure what the number was, but was told it wasn't for a lot more than the 10-year veteran minimum.

According to an #NFL source=agent or Rodgers given that it is Wilde reporting here

Sounds like he’s heading to Oakland for a visit.

pbmax
03-13-2018, 09:03 PM
Sounds like he’s heading to Oakland for a visit.

Yep.

Michael Gehlken @GehlkenNFL
Amid frenzy, Raiders been measured these past two days. Some action on Wednesday: former Packers WR Jordy Nelson is visiting team, source said.

texaspackerbacker
03-13-2018, 09:26 PM

That sounds like a plan. I suspect, though, Jordy wants to shop around and see if he can get more somewhere. If there was an agreement already, I think they would have announced the whole deal at the same time.

I'd like to see them work out something like that with Cobb too, but he too probably thinks he's worth more and will want to test the water if/when he is cut.

IMO - as I've said many times, the solution(s) at WR are already in house. It will piss me off extremely if they let Janis get away. With him and Davis and and Clark and Yancey, in addition to Adams and Allison, we are pretty damn strong at the position.

Bossman641
03-13-2018, 09:52 PM
With him and Davis and and Clark and Yancey, in addition to Adams and Allison, we are pretty damn strong at the position.

This sentence nearly made me throw up

Harlan Huckleby
03-13-2018, 10:00 PM
I agree with Tex, the utes are ready to take over. (Cousin Vinny reference)

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/80814/aaron-rodgers-pays-tribute-to-jordy-nelson-after-packers-make-best-decision-for-us

Aaron Rodgers pays tribute to Jordy Nelson after Packers make 'best decision for us'

Comment woodbuck27:

That above HEADLINE. Is that a deceit?

Did Aaron Rodgers 'in fact' say or was he quoted as saying that the release of Jordy Nelson was 'best decision for us'?

In a quote I got from the NFL Network, I would have to refute that's Aaron Rodgers stance on seeing his best 'Hook Up' Jordy Nelson 'be told Bye Bye' by the Green Bay Packers Brass.

The Quote I heard attributed to Aaron Rodgers after Jordy Nelson's release came to his knowledge was much like this:

Loyalty isn't rhetoric but rather action. Please check for that quote.

10:18 PM ET 3/13/2018

BY: Rob Demovsky ... ESPN Staff Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- If the Green Bay Packers offered Jordy Nelson a pay cut -- and indications are they did -- then it must have been so low that the one-time Pro Bowl receiver decided to take his chances somewhere else. ....

Nelson was due to make $10.25 million in salary and bonuses in the final season of a four-year $39 million deal. .... ESPN Wisconsin reported that the Packers offered Nelson the chance to return at a significantly reduced salary.

There also does not appear to be a possibility that Nelson could be re-signed in the foreseeable future.

"I don't think at this time," Gutekunst said. "You never say never. We'd like to keep that relationship as strong as possible, but at the same time, I wouldn't say at this time."

Nelson ranks third in team history in catches (550), fifth in receiving yards (7,848) and second in touchdowns (69).

He and Aaron Rodgers also hold the franchise record for most touchdowns (65) between a receiver-quarterback duo.

Aaron Rodgers reaction to losing Jordy Nelson:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgSOeqTle2f/utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_profile_upsell_test

aaronrodgers12
Verified
141,560 likes
aaronrodgers12 ...Hard to find the right words today to express what 87 means to me. No teammate exemplified what it means to be a packer quite like him. From living in GB full time, his incredible contributions to the city, state, and region, to his consistent, reliable play on the field. Definitely a sad day and the toughest part of this business. There will never be another quite like white lightning.[/B] #leader #brother #friend #baller #loyal #champion #legacy #intact #stillcanplayball #backshoulder #1stSBTD

woodbuck27
03-13-2018, 10:14 PM
That sounds like a plan. I suspect, though, Jordy wants to shop around and see if he can get more somewhere. If there was an agreement already, I think they would have announced the whole deal at the same time.

I'd like to see them work out something like that with Cobb too, but he too probably thinks he's worth more and will want to test the water if/when he is cut.

IMO - as I've said many times, the solution(s) at WR are already in house. It will piss me off extremely if they let Janis get away. With him and Davis and and Clark and Yancey, in addition to Adams and Allison, we are pretty damn strong at the position.

" I've said many times, the solution(s) at WR are already in house. It will piss me off extremely if they let Janis get away. With him and Davis and and Clark and Yancey, in addition to Adams and Allison, we are pretty damn strong at the position." texaspackerbacker

Comment woodbuck27: I'd have to strongly disagree.

Amongst that group do you genuinely see that NO. 1 WR that can take the head off of Davante Adams? I certainly don't see any strong indication of that being the case.

Pugger
03-14-2018, 12:45 AM
Sad news indeed. You have to wonder, tho. Jordy disappeared after Rodgers went down last year but Adams still flourished with Hundley masquerading as a QB. I suspect this is the reason why we didn't make him a serious offer to keep him.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 08:42 AM
Sad news indeed. You have to wonder, tho. Jordy disappeared after Rodgers went down last year but Adams still flourished with Hundley masquerading as a QB. I suspect this is the reason why we didn't make him a serious offer to keep him.

Jordy's going to Sunny California (Oakland) as his first stop after being booted by the Packers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4731/jordy-nelson

Raiders hosting Jordy Nelson on Wednesday ... Mar 13 - 9:48 PM

With GM Reggie McKenzie and Edgar Bennett having history with Jordy Nelson. It'll be interesting to see if The Raiders pick him up.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 09:06 AM

That, and he looked like he was running in wet concrete.

Rutnstrut
03-14-2018, 10:47 AM
Word on NFL network is that GB extremely lowballed Jordy on a renegotiation. He is in talks with The Raiders, I wish him well.

run pMc
03-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Not very confident in the WRs behind Jordy on the depth chart. If he doesn't sign with the Raiders or Browns, does he come back a la James Jones?

Someone mentioned a cutup of Cobb, wonder if there was a similar cutup of Jordy done. Seemed like last year he couldn't get much YAC and struggled to separate, but who knows.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Not very confident in the WRs behind Jordy on the depth chart. If he doesn't sign with the Raiders or Browns, does he come back a la James Jones?

Someone mentioned a cutup of Cobb, wonder if there was a similar cutup of Jordy done. Seemed like last year he couldn't get much YAC and struggled to separate, but who knows.

Re-sign Janis for $2 M/yr and insert him into the lineup. Problem solved. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Jordy's going to Sunny California (Oakland) as his first stop after being booted by the Packers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4731/jordy-nelson

Raiders hosting Jordy Nelson on Wednesday ... Mar 13 - 9:48 PM

With GM Reggie McKenzie and Edgar Bennett having history with Jordy Nelson. It'll be interesting to see if The Raiders pick him up.

Plus, Gruden has a thing for aging receivers. Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Keenan McCardell, etc.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Plus, Gruden has a thing for aging receivers. Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Keenan McCardell, etc.

The next time we se Jordy ina Packer Uni is for his Packers HOF Induction.

His lamp went out fast ! Maybe it just got down to it really working for Jordy and Aaron.

Chemistry and Aaron Rodgers exceptional skills.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:12 PM
The next time we se Jordy ina Packer Uni is for his Packers HOF Induction.

I doubt he'll don a uniform for that.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 12:15 PM

I thought I read two Bonus's in the $200 K (check that?) Ballpark pbmax.

red
03-14-2018, 12:21 PM
new report that jordy wants to go to new england

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:23 PM

He's wanted to play with Danny Shelton for a long time now.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 12:23 PM
https://suntimesmedia.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/855332078_71595359.jpg?w=965&zoom=2

What a beauty we had in Jordy Nelson; arguably the second best Ted Thompson Draft Pick

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:33 PM
What a beauty we had in Jordy Nelson; arguably the second best Ted Thompson Draft Pick

Arguably. Other candidates:

Jennings
Matthews
Sitton
Bacteria
Collins
Hayward (:lol:)

Maxie the Taxi
03-14-2018, 12:55 PM
new report that jordy wants to go to new englandIf he does, Bellicheat will make him a league leading receiver again.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Interesting as when the word got out that Jordy wss released by the Packers; the Pat's Fans went into a frenzy tweeting they wanted him in a New England Patriots Uni.

My analysis says NO.

They'll have Julian Edelman back and their depth at the WR Position is solid.

Looking back on the last Super Bowl ...The Pat's need to re-tool on 'D'.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 01:04 PM
If he does, Bellicheat will make him a league leading receiver again.

It's IMO Jordy's BEST fit.

George Cumby
03-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Nelson’s cooked guys. Great Packer and all that but stick a fork in him.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 01:23 PM

Tell Aaron Rodgers that and see what his response will be. I can see 'the eye brow lift', right now. :-)

Tell that to Jordy and the GM that signs him.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 01:37 PM
If he does, Bellicheat will make him a league leading receiver again.

Yes, ultimately, the head honcho gets all the credit (or blame). But Belichick's expertise is defense.

J-Mac could make J-Nel great again, especially with TB12 throwing the rock.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Yes, ultimately, the head honcho gets all the credit (or blame). But Belichick's expertise is defense.

J-Mac could make J-Nel great again, especially with TB12 throwing the rock.

I have my fingers crossed and Belichick signing him.

He may be garbage to many Packer fans (not named Aaron Rodgers) but Pat's Fans are going to be pleased if that goes down.

Evidently yesterday (if the NFL Network had it correct) the number of Tweets bu Pat's Fans to bring Jordy to New England was off the Charts.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 01:54 PM
I have my fingers crossed and Belichick signing him.

He may be garbage to many Packer fans (not named Aaron Rodgers) but Pat's Fans are going to be pleased if that goes down.

Evidently yesterday (if the NFL Network had it correct) the number of Tweets bu Pat's Fans to bring Jordy to New England was off the Charts.

Agreed.

Plus, NE just lost Amendola, so they could use another white receiver. :glug:

SavedByGrace
03-14-2018, 02:04 PM

I really hope so. I love Jordy, but if he has a great season somewhere else it would make how this whole thing went down that much more difficult to take. It would be even worse if the Graham signing is a let down. Jordy...catchin' BBs in the dark

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Agreed.

Plus, NE just lost Amendola, so they could use another white receiver. :glug:

Belichick will decide if Jordy Nelson is going to get another Super Bowl Ring.

If 'in fact' he becomes a New England Patriot.

The Green Bay Packers might learn to treat their outstanding contributing Vet's with a tad more respect.

'$ Low balling $' (as that TRUTH is being reported) a Vet of Jordy Nelson's credibility and Resume as a Green Bay Packer sucks big wind.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 02:51 PM
https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/3/13/17118522/report-raiders-could-move-on-from-crabtree-if-jordy-nelson-is-signed

Report: Raiders could move on from Michael Crabtree if Jordy Nelson is signed

By: Ryan Lipton Mar 13, 2018, 9:34 pm PDT

Comment woodbuck27:

The Fellas and Gals on the NFL Network are watching News on Jordy Nelson closely.

He has a lot of respect outside of some Green Bay Packer fans (and more than a few on this Forum).

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Note:

FA cornerbacks are starting to get scooped up.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/3/14/17120678/all-eyes-on-tyrann-mathieu-as-cardinals-to-release-former-all-pro-safety

All eyes on Tyrann Mathieu as Cardinals to release former All Pro safety

By: Levi Damien@LeviDamien Mar 14, 2018, 10:39 AM PDT

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 03:00 PM
The NFL Network just announced that EX Packer FA Jordy Nelson will be met at the Airport for his visit with Oakland by no less than Raiders QB David Carr.

That's respect !

The NFL Network loves Jordy Nelson.

A premonition I had last night:

Oakland GM Reggie McKenzie, HC John Gruden, WR Coach Bennett and QB David Carr all meet Jordy Nelson as he gets inside of the Airport to meet with the Raiders.

HC Jon Gruden: Hi Jordy..let's go for a cold beer and something good to eat. Ohh by the way here's your new Contract inside of the envelope. Congratulations your an Oakland Raider.

red
03-16-2018, 03:46 PM
james jones said that the packers low balled him so much that he was insulted

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-teammate-packers-really-really-122303239.html

thats not a good look at all

and he signed for 7 million a year, which i thought would be fair for him

so insult the hell out of one guy, but don't do anything about the guy making just as much, but hasn't done anything in 3 or 4 seasons

hoosier
03-16-2018, 03:56 PM
The reality is, once the Packers re-signed Adams and got Graham they couldn't afford to pay Jordy and Cobb, even at a reduced (non "low ball") rate. Would simply cutting him have been less "insulting" than offering him something along lines of vet minimum? The James Jones piece, which presumes that the Packers "owe" Jordy something because of all that he has done for them, is simply blinded by its own romantic assumptions about what pro football really is it. Unless Nelson turns out to be the second coming of Jerry Rice, the Packers made the right choice in not offering Nelson what the Raiders did.

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:11 PM
^^^ seems reasonable. Is there some nuance of NFL veterans and cutting of which I'm not aware? Do things work differently re: cap or compensatory picks if Packers cut him versus make an offer he refuses?

hoosier
03-16-2018, 04:15 PM
If he had accepted the "low ball" offer it seems almost certain that they would have had to cut and re-sign him a la Hawk. So no difference. And, as we saw with Sitton, straight-out cutting the guy wouldn't have made a difference: those who will be offended will be offended....

Rutnstrut
03-16-2018, 04:22 PM
If he had accepted the "low ball" offer it seems almost certain that they would have had to cut and re-sign him a la Hawk. So no difference. And, as we saw with Sitton, straight-out cutting the guy wouldn't have made a difference: those who will be offended will be offended....

You don't know that any more than anyone else outside the deal. It just makes you feel better as a homer that they didn't flat out low ball and disrespect him. I don't know that they did, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Upnorth
03-16-2018, 06:42 PM
^^^ seems reasonable. Is there some nuance of NFL veterans and cutting of which I'm not aware? Do things work differently re: cap or compensatory picks if Packers cut him versus make an offer he refuses?

I believe that this new contract will get us a 5th. You get nothing if you cut him I think

Smidgeon
03-16-2018, 07:29 PM
He was cut. Zero comp picks.

hoosier
03-16-2018, 08:29 PM
You don't know that any more than anyone else outside the deal. It just makes you feel better as a homer that they didn't flat out low ball and disrespect him. I don't know that they did, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not sure what you think I think I know, but I am pretty certain you didn't understand what I was saying.....

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 06:47 AM
He was cut. Zero comp picks.

this is what I'm driving at. So what happens then if Packers offer him a 2 year $5 mil contract with $2 mil guaranteed, Jordy turns it down and then signs with the Raiders? Didn't the Packers make a mistake cutting him?

pbmax
03-17-2018, 08:17 AM
this is what I'm driving at. So what happens then if Packers offer him a 2 year $5 mil contract with $2 mil guaranteed, Jordy turns it down and then signs with the Raiders? Didn't the Packers make a mistake cutting him?

Nope. No other way to do it. It now looks like they needed to clear room for MW, JG and the Fuller offer. Jordy's leverage was that Packers couldn't have his $10mil on the cap and do those things. So the Packers either offer an amount they don't want to do (or can't via cap) or they cut him.

The lowball offer is a gesture only.

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Nope. No other way to do it. It now looks like they needed to clear room for MW, JG and the Fuller offer. Jordy's leverage was that Packers couldn't have his $10mil on the cap and do those things. So the Packers either offer an amount they don't want to do (or can't via cap) or they cut him.

The lowball offer is a gesture only.

:doh: right, of course - they have to cut him to clear the cap space. I never internalize these cap rules... I'll be asking the same questions next week, next year....

Patler
03-17-2018, 09:56 AM
If the Bears had declined to match Fullers offer sheet, and Fuller signed an actual GB contract, I think the Packers would have made another significant move to free cap space, especially if they intend to do anything with Rodgers.

As I recall, as of a few years ago, teams do not have to have sufficient cap space to make offers, or even tender contracts. They can make necessary adjustments to "fit" the contract within their cap after the player actually signs it. I don't think that offer sheets, like Fuller's, have to "fit."

pbmax
03-17-2018, 10:38 AM
If the Bears had declined to match Fullers offer sheet, and Fuller signed an actual GB contract, I think the Packers would have made another significant move to free cap space, especially if they intend to do anything with Rodgers.

As I recall, as of a few years ago, teams do not have to have sufficient cap space to make offers, or even tender contracts. They can make necessary adjustments to "fit" the contract within their cap after the player actually signs it. I don't think that offer sheets, like Fuller's, have to "fit."

I recall what you are saying here, but all the reporting has been the other way, that the Bears literally could have held the Pack's cap room in this offer hostage for 5 days.

But we are dealing with a group that at first could not decide whether it was two weeks (incorrect) or 5 days (correct apparently) for the Bears to decide whether to match.

Not sure about Rodgers cap space. He is already eating up $20 mil there. You could do a lot of things to make it fit this year into a $20 mil cap space. I wonder though if they plan to lower that number at all.

Patler
03-17-2018, 10:50 AM
I've never understood why media, players and fans are so insistent on using terms like "lowball", "disrespect", etc., and the innuendo associated therewith, when a team can no longer afford a popular player. Under his last contract, the Packers paid Jordy Nelson roughly $33M (or something like that, haven't looked it up) for something like 150 receptions for about 1800 yards. Yes, I know a year was lost to an ACL injury, but Nelson is soon to be 33 years. The Packers offered what they were willing to risk on an older player who showed some bad signs last year. Maybe in a different cap situation (if Bennett had worked out so less was invested in TEs than with Graham) , the Packers could/would have offered Nelson more in a revised deal, but with Cobb, Adams and Graham all with big contracts, what % of the cap can be invested in players to catch passes?

After watching the Packers pay players like KGB and Donald Driver well in excess of the values of their contributions for several years each, seeing them move on from Sitton, Lang and Nelson is a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to see Nelson stay in GB, but letting him go was the right thing to do, even if he goes on to have a big year with the Raiders.

pbmax
03-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Its the language of negotiation turned into press release. It means on thing to agents and players (actually, it probably means both things to a lot of players) but to the public it immediately becomes tied to the emotional reaction to losing a popular. player.

Its bad enough losing the guy you like, but then the team lowballed him and made it worse and insulting. Idiots.

I am pretty sure James Jones wants a media job like LeRoy has (or better). He has been all over Twitter and the radio shows.

We will never know of the Packers just faxed over the offer of minimum plus for two years to the agent. They may have had the heartfelt conversation Ted refused to have with players sometimes over his years.

Patler
03-17-2018, 11:00 AM
I recall what you are saying here, but all the reporting has been the other way, that the Bears literally could have held the Pack's cap room in this offer hostage for 5 days.

But we are dealing with a group that at first could not decide whether it was two weeks (incorrect) or 5 days (correct apparently) for the Bears to decide whether to match.

Not sure about Rodgers cap space. He is already eating up $20 mil there. You could do a lot of things to make it fit this year into a $20 mil cap space. I wonder though if they plan to lower that number at all.
;
I certainly could be wrong about the cap, but the reporting would also have you believe that the Packers haven't signed a significant FA since Reggie White, when in fact TT signed three to be starters just last year.

Why should a team have to cut players just to make an offer to a guy who might never sign a contract? The players wouldn't want that, because it would make teams less willing to make offers, but then again not everything with the NFL makes sense.

woodbuck27
03-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Its the language of negotiation turned into press release. It means on thing to agents and players (actually, it probably means both things to a lot of players) but to the public it immediately becomes tied to the emotional reaction to losing a popular. player.

Its bad enough losing the guy you like, but then the team lowballed him and made it worse and insulting. Idiots.

I am pretty sure James Jones wants a media job like LeRoy has (or better). He has been all over Twitter and the radio shows.

We will never know of the Packers just faxed over the offer of minimum plus for two years to the agent. They may have had the heartfelt conversation Ted refused to have with players sometimes over his years.

I was very impressed watching James Jones as a Guest Analyst of the NFL Network this past Season.

He looked just fine, very comfortable.

woodbuck27
03-17-2018, 11:07 AM
I've never understood why media, players and fans are so insistent on using terms like "lowball", "disrespect", etc., and the innuendo associated therewith, when a team can no longer afford a popular player. Under his last contract, the Packers paid Jordy Nelson roughly $33M (or something like that, haven't looked it up) for something like 150 receptions for about 1800 yards. Yes, I know a year was lost to an ACL injury, but Nelson is soon to be 33 years. The Packers offered what they were willing to risk on an older player who showed some bad signs last year. Maybe in a different cap situation (if Bennett had worked out so less was invested in TEs than with Graham) , the Packers could/would have offered Nelson more in a revised deal, but with Cobb, Adams and Graham all with big contracts, what % of the cap can be invested in players to catch passes?

After watching the Packers pay players like KGB and Donald Driver well in excess of the values of their contributions for several years each, seeing them move on from Sitton, Lang and Nelson is a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to see Nelson stay in GB, but letting him go was the right thing to do, even if he goes on to have a big year with the Raiders.

The chemistry he developed with Aaron Rodgers was well worth one more Season at a decent Salary and BONUS and another BONUS Incentive laden Contract.

He likely would have signed that and retired as a Packer.

pbmax
03-17-2018, 11:08 AM
;
I certainly could be wrong about the cap, but the reporting would also have you believe that the Packers haven't signed a significant FA since Reggie White, when in fact TT signed three to be starters just last year.

Why should a team have to cut players just to make an offer to a guy who might never sign a contract? The players wouldn't want that, because it would make teams less willing to make offers, but then again not everything with the NFL makes sense.

Well, the Reggie White thing was just Florio and football history is his weakest subject; right after X and Os. His third weakest subject is Packers corporate structure.

Teams who offer contract tenders (Franchise, Transition, RFA) have to keep that number on their books. So a non-signed deal having a cap impact is not unheard of. But it does raise the interesting situation of an unsigned player counting against two teams caps.

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 12:24 PM
The chemistry he developed with Aaron Rodgers was well worth one more Season at a decent Salary and BONUS and another BONUS Incentive laden Contract.

He likely would have signed that and retired as a Packer.

That's just a guess. More likely he wouldn't. The Raiders valued him a lot higher than I expected, and probably a lot higher than the Packers did.

Contracts for players are a lot like engagement rings. No matter how much you say you love someone, you give 'em a small diamond, and well, they have a small diamond.

pbmax
03-17-2018, 01:05 PM
That's just a guess. More likely he wouldn't. The Raiders valued him a lot higher than I expected, and probably a lot higher than the Packers did.

Contracts for players are a lot like engagement rings. No matter how much you say you love someone, you give 'em a small diamond, and well, they have a small diamond.

Its a guess and there are other needs to address that Woodbuck doesn't consider. Who is playing corner if you give Jordy $10 mil guaranteed? You do anything approaching Oakland's offer and you can't make an offer to Fuller.

Rutnstrut
03-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Jones has been pretty regular on NFL network for awhile. He has quite the flashy wardrobe, other than that he does quite well. I watch Total Access almost daily and he is a lot better than some ex-players.

Rutnstrut
03-17-2018, 08:10 PM
Its a guess and there are other needs to address that Woodbuck doesn't consider. Who is playing corner if you give Jordy $10 mil guaranteed? You do anything approaching Oakland's offer and you can't make an offer to Fuller.

Hell, who is playing corner even without paying jordy?

pbmax
03-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Hell, who is playing corner even without paying jordy?

Oh the plan has developed a problem absolutely.

But if you do Jordy's deal, hell, even if you cut the Oakland'd deal in half for home team discount, you might not be able to offer Fuller.

At least they have some cash and space to offer... someone.

pbmax
03-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Jones has been pretty regular on NFL network for awhile. He has quite the flashy wardrobe, other than that he does quite well. I watch Total Access almost daily and he is a lot better than some ex-players.

Then he might be more successful than LeRoy, who got sometime at ESPN but has been mostly local since.

I like him when I hear him on the radio. We'll see if he can get past the Chmura/AndrewBrandt "let me tell you about Brett Favre/Rodgers" phase.

Rutnstrut
03-17-2018, 11:34 PM
Then he might be more successful than LeRoy, who got sometime at ESPN but has been mostly local since.

I like him when I hear him on the radio. We'll see if he can get past the Chmura/AndrewBrandt "let me tell you about Brett Favre/Rodgers" phase.

One thing I really like about him that non Packer fans probably don't. A lot of the time he references the Packers or brings them up. He is very respectful of the team and especially Rodgers. But not so much that he sounds like a repetitive homer.

denverYooper
03-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Packers effectively swapped Jordy's 2018 cap dollars for Graham and Wilkerson

Tom Silverstein
‏Verified account @TomSilverstein
9m9 minutes ago

The combination of Graham and Wilkerson costs the #Packers $10.41 million in cap dollars, almost exactly the same as the $10.25M they got from cutting Jordy Nelson.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 10:31 AM

Can't the Contract be structured to minimize the CAP hit?

Yes it can.

Today we see clearly that the Packers are in a huge hole at the WR position on a Team that needs to be BIG on Offense because of a horrid Pass Defense. That chemistry between Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson was obviously real.

On the flip side of that:

Yes we began to see a decline in Jordy in the 2016 Season. Yes Aaron made Jordy with his ability to extend plays.

Jordy is gone. I moved on with that as soon as he was signed by Oakland and good luck with that as he needed to hope that IMO Bill Belichick might love him. Raiders QB Derek Carr isn't Aaron Rodgers noe Tom Brady. I predict that Jordy Nelson signed his last Contract in the NFL.

pbmax
03-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Graham and Wilkerson for Jordy isn't bad. But there still needs to be a third part of that for improvement. Either a WR or a CB.

QBME
03-19-2018, 05:55 PM

Tom Silverstein
9m9 minutes ago

The combination of Graham and Wilkerson costs the #Packers $10.41 million in cap dollars, almost exactly the same as the $10.25M they got from cutting Jordy Nelson.

Dang, math is hard.

Teamcheez1
03-19-2018, 08:43 PM
Can't the Contract be structured to minimize the CAP hit?

Yes it can.

Today we see clearly that the Packers are in a huge hole at the WR position on a Team that needs to be BIG on Offense because of a horrid Pass Defense. That chemistry between Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson was obviously real.

On the flip side of that:

Yes we began to see a decline in Jordy in the 2016 Season. Yes Aaron made Jordy with his ability to extend plays.

Jordy is gone. I moved on with that as soon as he was signed by Oakland and good luck with that as he needed to hope that IMO Bill Belichick might love him. Raiders QB Derek Carr isn't Aaron Rodgers noe Tom Brady. I predict that Jordy Nelson signed his last Contract in the NFL.

I wiould bet even money that Nelson doesn't make it to the end of his contract with the Raiders either ending his career on IR or the waiver wire.

Upnorth
03-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Tom Silverstein
9m9 minutes ago

This makes me tremendously happy. Graham for Nelson straight up is a push imo, but once you add in Wilkerson this decision becomes great.

Carolina_Packer
03-20-2018, 11:41 AM
The only thing I would question in the entire process with Nelson is that it got out that the Packers low-balled him to stay. All players have to go at some point, but the front office gets to decide how to handle it. If it's true that they low-balled him, that's a bad look for the front office. Jordy is one of the more popular players in recent memory, and will most likely be in the Packer HOF. Simple formula...if you only want a player if he'll play for closer to the minimum, and he's an all-time player for the team, then release him rather than ask him to take a major pay cut, unless that release involves altering his contract to re-work so you spread out the cap hit, but that clearly wasn't the case here.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Think about it this way CP. Let's assume the Packers knew, because they were taking to his agent (who was talking to the Raiders and others) that Jordy was "looking" for $8mil this year to continue. The exact number doesn't matter for this exercise, just that someone was offering it.

Packers decide that with a TE, DT and a CB in FA, that the numbers don't work for them. They could say God Bless You and go.

But eventually its going to get out that they didn't offer anything at all.

Would you actually feel better about that story as opposed to the "lowballing" him?

The truth is, the Packers did not want him back unless it was extra cheap and Jordy did not want to play for extra cheap. Hence, separate ways.

Now adults who are not covering their butt, which both Packers and the agent are, could have a meeting, discuss it like adults and then part on friendly company with a joint announcement about how they differed but parted company on good terms and wished each other well. But in business its not always best to show all your cards at any given point. So the ambiguity serves both parties short term interests, even if overall it makes them look childish.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Packers new 3rd wideout soon to be available on the waiver wire:

TMZ Sports @TMZ_Sports
Buffalo Bills Zay Jones in Nude, Bloody Arrest After Penthouse Meltdown

https://t.co/nBpWbrjT5F

Bretsky
03-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Think about it this way CP. Let's assume the Packers knew, because they were taking to his agent (who was talking to the Raiders and others) that Jordy was "looking" for $8mil this year to continue. The exact number doesn't matter for this exercise, just that someone was offering it.

Packers decide that with a TE, DT and a CB in FA, that the numbers don't work for them. They could say God Bless You and go.

But eventually its going to get out that they didn't offer anything at all.

Would you actually feel better about that story as opposed to the "lowballing" him?

The truth is, the Packers did not want him back unless it was extra cheap and Jordy did not want to play for extra cheap. Hence, separate ways.

Now adults who are not covering their butt, which both Packers and the agent are, could have a meeting, discuss it like adults and then part on friendly company with a joint announcement about how they differed but parted company on good terms and wished each other well. But in business its not always best to show all your cards at any given point. So the ambiguity serves both parties short term interests, even if overall it makes them look childish.

:knll:
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

Put on your big boy pants and just call a spade a spade. GB figured it would be better off with Graham over Nelson....and possibly the ability to get Wilkinson worked in it's favor as well. So if you want to spin the dam negative come out and say GB was better off with Jordy than Jimmy Graham. And if you want to spin the positive say GB was better off with Graham and Wilkinson that Nelson.

I say KUDOS TO GOOTERS !!

RashanGary
03-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Right or wrong, I respect that he’s making calls. It’s his chance and he’s taking his shot. Now, if he fails, he’s just a loser. If he wins at least one sb, he’s a winner.

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 10:16 PM
Right or wrong, I respect that he’s making calls. It’s his chance and he’s taking his shot. Now, if he fails, he’s just a loser. If he wins at least one sb, he’s a winner.

Whoa, wait a second. You know that around here a GM with 1 Superbowl win is a "fart in the wind" and "wasting Favre/Rodgers/nextQB who is autonomously sublime."

pbmax
03-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Dangerously respectful Justin :D

Anti-Polar Bear
03-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Packers new 3rd wideout soon to be available on the waiver wire:

TMZ Sports @TMZ_Sports
Buffalo Bills Zay Jones in Nude, Bloody Arrest After Penthouse Meltdown

https://t.co/nBpWbrjT5F

Dude said he was gonna fight for Jesus. I'm a fan of Jesus. Sign Zay, yo!

Anti-Polar Bear
03-22-2018, 10:53 AM
So who is gonna host the annual charity softball game in A-town now that J-Nel is in O-town?

It went from the Gunslinger to Drive to J-Nel. Perhaps A-Rod will sign up?

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Dude said he was gonna fight for Jesus. I'm a fan of Jesus. Sign Zay, yo!

Hahahahahahahahahahaa

" 10:42 AM PT -- The NFL tells us they are "looking into the matter." ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

:whaa:

And ... I thought and I guess I was correct the NFL is ...'a Manly' League.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahaa

Comment woodbuck27:

:tup:

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaa

Comment woodbuck27:

I had my mind made up on this Guy with all the Blood smears on the Walls and carpeting.

CRAP ! How can anyone get so screwed up ! :cry: