PDA

View Full Version : Spot the Fallacies: PFT on Packer Free Agency

pbmax
03-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Did you know Ron Wolf didn't sign anyone with name recognition outside of Reggie White?

In 25 years (1994) only four players that the public knew well were signed by either Wolf or Thompson?

Come watch PFT be dumb and list all the ways this article elides key facts to produce an idiotic narrative.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/packers-quickly-break-from-a-25-year-free-agency-trend/

The part that few will appreciate is whatever the Packer approach is, it worked better than all other approaches except for 1 or 2 teams. So shut it Florio.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Did you know Ron Wolf didn't sign anyone with name recognition outside of Reggie White?

In 25 years (1994) only four players that the public knew well were signed by either Wolf or Thompson?

Come watch PFT be dumb and list all the ways this article elides key facts to produce an idiotic narrative.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/packers-quickly-break-from-a-25-year-free-agency-trend/

The part that few will appreciate is whatever the Packer approach is, it worked better than all other approaches except for 1 or 2 teams. So shut it Florio.

This NFL and Green Bay Packers News Story isn't any NEW story, as Packer Nation has been over the TOP considerably frustrated with Ted Thompson's hard line NO stance to FA.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 09:01 AM

But that's because TT lucked into picking Rodgers, who single-handedly has kept the franchise afloat. Other than Rodgers, the Packers haven't had a true Pro bowl caliber player in the past ten years. All smoke and mirrors. Packers are just lucky they got a guy like Rodgers who could self-develop and run Stubby's worthless offense to perfection, based only his personal greatness.

denverYooper
03-14-2018, 09:13 AM
These both look like moves TT might have made.

The TE strategy seems to be in it's 3rd year now, almost as though it has been a committed effort to get a good receiving TE. The move seems to fall in line with that ongoing effort and not simply a move to sign a name. I'll be interested to see the numbers, but they've been willing to pay a little to try to get that guy lately.

Wilkerson signed what looks to be a very team-friendly contract and has experience playing for Pettine. He's a "name" because he had a few good years a while back. I have little doubt that TT would have made that deal also.

pbmax
03-14-2018, 09:41 AM
If I am Santana Dotson, Ryan Pickett or Seth Joyner, I am writing Florio a strongly worded letter.

And what about former Pro Bowler Matt O'Dwyer? :lol:

texaspackerbacker
03-14-2018, 10:26 AM
But that's because TT lucked into picking Rodgers, who single-handedly has kept the franchise afloat. Other than Rodgers, the Packers haven't had a true Pro bowl caliber player in the past ten years. All smoke and mirrors. Packers are just lucky they got a guy like Rodgers who could self-develop and run Stubby's worthless offense to perfection, based only his personal greatness.

Obviously this is an attempt at sarcasm, but your post, the first line especially absolutely NAILS IT.

Carolina_Packer
03-14-2018, 10:41 AM
What about Joe Johnson? What's that?...Oh, right, we're not supposed to mention that one. Carry on!

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 10:48 AM
If I am Santana Dotson, Ryan Pickett or Seth Joyner, I am writing Florio a strongly worded letter.

Eugene Robinson, Sean Jones, Andre Rison.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Obviously this is an attempt at sarcasm, but your post, the first line especially absolutely NAILS IT.

you're just as deluded as the rest on this issue

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:21 PM
These both look like moves TT might have made.

exactly. So far, the off-season has been extremely conservative, personnel-wise.

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 12:32 PM
What about Joe Johnson? What's that?...Oh, right, we're not supposed to mention that one. Carry on!

This Joe (post Green Bay Packer Star DE):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnJo04.htm

2 SACKS as a Packer.

50.5 SACKS and Post Packer Career.

Opps !

woodbuck27
03-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Desmond Howard and yes give Ron Wolf a break. He was trying and acting like you might hope a GM should.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Howard

pbmax
03-14-2018, 12:46 PM

Good call on Rison. And what about Terry Glenn?

edit: Glenn was a trade

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Terry Glenn was born injured

George Cumby
03-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Jeff Saturday

Anti-Polar Bear
03-14-2018, 01:18 PM
The trade for Glenn was an excellent move by Sherman. Freeman and Schroeder had just left cold, dark and dull Green Bay. The best receiver on the Packers' roster at the time of the trade was guy named Donald Driver, and dude caught 13 rocks for 167 yards in 2001. Furthermore, drafting J-Walk was not a sure thing.

I wanted Sherman to keep Glenn in the Green and Gold for more than an injury-filled season. But Driver's emergence, along with J-Walk's upside, made Glenn expendable. In Dallas, Glenn had a couple of solid seasons.

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 02:21 PM
^^^ APB. He wasn't really injured so much. He just wanted out of GB.

Guiness
03-14-2018, 02:41 PM

Joe Johnson would like a word with you :-)

Patler
03-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Russell Maryland
Bruce Wilkerson
Raleigh McKenzie
even Harry Galbreath was well-known at the time.
Don Beebe was considered a real good signing after a solid career in Buffalo

Guiness
03-14-2018, 03:01 PM
Joe Johnson would like a word with you :-)

Guess I was a little slow on that one...

red
03-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Floria has always had it in for the packers, and does his best to make us look bad

red
03-14-2018, 03:09 PM
No ones mentioned Wesley Walls yet

He was a 5 time pro bowler and 4 time all pro before we signed him

mraynrand
03-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Floria has always had it in for the packers, and does his best to make us look bad

We don't need his help!