PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Gutey Draft In The First Round? 1.0

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Ted Thompson's 1st draft pick was Aaron Rodgers. No pressure.

Based on CBS mock drafts, anticipating that the following players definitely figure to be gone in the 1st 13 picks:

Sam Darnold, Bradley Chubb, Quenton Nelson, Saquon Barkley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen and Derwin James.

Who should Gutey draft in the 1st round?

Poll to follow.

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 11:08 AM
Gutey's lucky that he won't have to say "I have a Chubb"

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 11:16 AM
I went with Landry. Better chance of finding a quality CB in Round 2 than there is of finding an explosive pass rusher in Round 2.

Pugger
03-16-2018, 11:52 AM
I went with Landry. Better chance of finding a quality CB in Round 2 than there is of finding an explosive pass rusher in Round 2.

I did too but perhaps Gutey can move up and take Denzel Ward? I wouldn't be opposed to doing that.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2018, 11:56 AM
When's the last time the Packers' draft a nonfat offensive player in the 1st round? In other words, when's the last time they draft a skill-position player in round 1? Pretty sure the last time was in 2005 when the Great Arm of Butte fell into Thompson's lap.

It's about time the Packers' draft another skill-position player in round 1. I want Ridley.

gbgary
03-16-2018, 12:29 PM
they have the extra draft picks to do it so IF they solve the cb problem in free agency they need to move up and take ridley the wr.
if they solve the #2 wr problem in FA they need to move up (if they have to) and pick ward or jackson.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2018, 12:39 PM
they have the extra draft picks to do it so IF they solve the cb problem in free agency they need to move up and take ridley the wr.
if they solve the #2 wr problem in FA they need to move up (if they have to) and pick ward or jackson.

As the Mailman mentioned in another thread, many so-called draft experts think Ridley will be available at 14.

Wish Gutekunst could've traded for Josh Gordon instead of Kizer.

Maxie the Taxi
03-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Too soon. FA signings will determine who we draft.

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 12:53 PM
In CBS' 3 mock drafts, only 1 of them had Ridley taken before the Packers pick. Still, I think it would be pretty unusual to have no WR's taken in the 1st 13 picks. last year there were 3. There were none taken in 2016, but I think that was a historically bad year for WR's. 2 or 3 is probably the average.

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Too soon. FA signings will determine who we draft.

,I'm not so sure. FA might determine how many players Gutey drafts at a given position, but I think he'll be looking for the most impactful player at either CB, WR, Edge or LB.

jklowan
03-16-2018, 12:59 PM
my preference currently...

1. LB Edmunds or Smith whichever is left
2. Edge Landry

3. in all those options are gone trade down to as low as 20 and best player

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 01:02 PM
my preference currently...

1. LB Edmunds or Smith whichever is left
2. Edge Landry

3. in all those options are gone trade down to as low as 20 and best player

If Landry is not available, I too wouldn't mind trading down. It would be great to have 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 01:21 PM
When's the last time the Packers' draft a nonfat offensive player in the 1st round? In other words, when's the last time they draft a skill-position player in round 1? Pretty sure the last time was in 2005 when the Great Arm of Butte fell into Thompson's lap.

It's about time the Packers' draft another skill-position player in round 1. I want Ridley.

Point well made but this is a New Age and a certain time of some immediacy. It is now clear that the last 6-8 years placed an enormous load on Aaron Rodgers. It`s therefore time to give something other that a pile of money back to him.

I don`t though believe the Packers will go WR and Calvin Ridley or another WR.

I don`t see the Packers going DT at NO. 14. nor will they Pick a LBer. What`s left of this Group?:

** Marcus Davenport - Edge - UTSA

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/marcus-davenport?id=2559817

** Harold Landry - Edge - Boston College

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/harold-landry?id=2559923

A better Pass Rush will take a load off the Secondary.

** Denzel Ward - CB - Ohio St. (He`s going to be off the board at NO.14.)

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/denzel-ward?id=32462018-0002-5600-6141-7e124ecc121e

** Josh Jackson - CB - Iowa (Nope...4.58 for his Combine 40 Yard Speed and the NO. 1 Ranked CB Denzel Ward ran the 40 in 4.32.).

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-jackson?id=2560030

My Pick:

I'll go with an improvement hopefully in the Packer Pass Rush and believe based on what I see today the Packers at Pick NO. 14 will pick EDGE DE Harold Landry - Boston College - ACC.

hoosier
03-16-2018, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't trade down. They have enough middling players as it is. Gute needs to score a dynamic player in this draft, preferably but not necessarily on defense. I don't watch enough college football to know who that might be, I just know I would not trade down unless my board saw little difference between mid and late first round.

ND72
03-16-2018, 01:34 PM
If packers can sign a guy that starts at CB, then I would take an edge guy as there are plenty of really good LB's sitting there at 14. However, if a guy falls that is a top CB, I'd go. Lots of talk of Derwin James being a guy they loved at the combine. Sort of a safety but can play the slot. I'd prefer a true CB or Edge guy. Also, keep an eye out for Will Hernandez, OG UTEP. Watched combine. Dude is a mauler, quick feet, great punch, sets really well, has a bit of nasty to him, and can move. I really liked him!

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Good pass rush can protect corners, not as much the other way around. So get some pass rush.

ND72
03-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Good pass rush can protect corners, not as much the other way around. So get some pass rush.

Yes. I've been saying that for a while. Even looking back in the 90's. Doug Evans was nice, Craig Newsome was nice, LeRoy Butler was really good, Eugene Robinson/George Teague, etc. were OK. But we weren't world beaters. Our front 4 brought it, which made everyone else better. I know we don't have a reggie white and sean jones, but Matthews & Perry could be dominate, and you add Wilkerson/Daniels/Clark, maybe the best 3-4 front 3 in the NFL now. I like it. Hopefully Pettine can creat better rush opportunities than Capers.

SavedByGrace
03-16-2018, 01:58 PM
I chose Ward for a few reasons:

1) different than most people on here :)
2) we haven't had a good, shut down CB and he could be that guy
3) I think Gutey signing Wilkerson was him "addressing" our rush problems...we clearly need major help in our secondary as we have a major lack of talent there. I get that having a rush/more pressure will help our secondary immensely, but we are just lacking players, talented players at that, in the secondary and I think he will address that in the first round

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 02:35 PM
I think everyone recognizes the Packers need both backs and pass rush upgrade. I just don’t know who will drop to 14. Or who the pack might be able to lure into GB still in FA. Would be great to get Melvin so that 14 can be used on an OLB.

Bretsky
03-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Roquan Smith playmaker

But I'd be happy with many of those guys

pbmax
03-16-2018, 07:48 PM

Yes. I've been saying that for a while. Even looking back in the 90's. Doug Evans was nice, Craig Newsome was nice, LeRoy Butler was really good, Eugene Robinson/George Teague, etc. were OK. But we weren't world beaters. Our front 4 brought it, which made everyone else better. I know we don't have a reggie white and sean jones, but Matthews & Perry could be dominate, and you add Wilkerson/Daniels/Clark, maybe the best 3-4 front 3 in the NFL now. I like it. Hopefully Pettine can creat better rush opportunities than Capers.

It supposedly a bad year for EDGE pass rush. Same with FA.

Need to draft Polamalu. So hoping for Derwin James.

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 08:13 PM
It supposedly a bad year for EDGE pass rush. Same with FA.

Need to draft Polamalu. So hoping for Derwin James.That's why I want Landry. He's a lot better than anyone who woild be available in the 2nd round.

wist43
03-17-2018, 01:29 AM
I haven't watched enough tape to decide who to take, but I have eliminated 3 guys off of that list...

Don't want - Ridley, Davenport, or Josh Jackson. Another guy I've crossed off my list is Jaire Alexander.

texaspackerbacker
03-17-2018, 10:14 AM
The early consensus in here by a small margin seems to be an Edge Rusher. I hope Gutekunst sees it that way too.

I put Davenport, but if he's gone, I'd be happy with Landry too.

woodbuck27
03-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Yes it's got to be 'a Balls to the Walls' Pick.

Bring that NO. 14 Pick to the Packers starting lineup.

Pressure their QB.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-17-2018, 11:20 AM
I haven't watched enough tape to decide who to take, but I have eliminated 3 guys off of that list...

Don't want - Ridley, Davenport, or Josh Jackson. Another guy I've crossed off my list is Jaire Alexander.

I don't give a fuck what you want. The hell with pass rush. Draft the fast receiver - Ridley - and bomb opposing defenses into the abyss of oblivion. :mrgreen:

pbmax
03-17-2018, 12:29 PM
That's why I want Landry. He's a lot better than anyone who woild be available in the 2nd round.

I hate that strategy. Leads to Martyball. You take talent above most other considerations.

wist43
03-17-2018, 12:37 PM
I hate that strategy. Leads to Martyball. You take talent above most other considerations.

Well, Landry is probably the best edge rusher in this draft. Short area burst, quickness, bend... that's talent. Can't coach those attributes.

Definitely don't want Davenport... see him strictly as a developmental guy - 3rd/4th rd.

pbmax
03-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Well, Landry is probably the best edge rusher in this draft. Short area burst, quickness, bend... that's talent. Can't coach those attributes.

Definitely don't want Davenport... see him strictly as a developmental guy - 3rd/4th rd.

If he's legit first round talent, then OK. Just don't want to take last first round talent because that is letting the shortage dictate to you.

The Shadow
03-17-2018, 01:30 PM
After watching game tape of Vander Esch, he has an awful lot of Urlacher traits.

Joemailman
03-17-2018, 05:19 PM

Oh I agree. My statement (not explained very well) is based on the belief that Landry has comparable talent to any CB who would be available. If that's the case, I think Landry should be the pick.

Pugger
03-18-2018, 10:57 AM
I don't give a fuck what you want. The hell with pass rush. Draft the fast receiver - Ridley - and bomb opposing defenses into the abyss of oblivion. :mrgreen:

I'm glad you aren't our GM. You are the only person alive who doesn't seem to know our defense needs an infusion of talent. This isn't the best WR draft class by a long shot.

mraynrand
03-18-2018, 01:35 PM

Trevor Davis is an inch taller, .01 second faster in the 40, and has better measurables in everything except bench press (11 to 15 I believe). If the Packers want a guy like Ridley, they just need to use the guy they have. This is on the coaches and scheme. No way the Packers draft Ridley even if available.

wist43
03-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Trade down a bit... Okoronkwo, Landry, DJ Moore??

Curious about where Isaiah Oliver's value is at... was hoping he would last to our 2nd pick, but not sure he'll be there.

Would be a very happy Packer fan if we could come away with one of those 3 and Oliver.

red
03-18-2018, 03:23 PM
That's why I want Landry. He's a lot better than anyone who woild be available in the 2nd round.

says who? have you watched him, or just read others opinions

cause the videos i've seen of him make him look like a JAG, and thats against college talent, not NFL talent

definitely doesn't look like anything special, imo

Joemailman
03-18-2018, 04:30 PM

cause the videos i've seen of him make him look like a JAG, and thats against college talent, not NFL talent

He was dominant as a junior. Probably should have entered the draft last year. Had an injury-plagued senior year and wasn't as good.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 09:06 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000855910/article/2018-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-for-every-team

2018 NFL Draft order and needs for every team

By Lance Zierlein ... NFL Media draft analyst

Published: March 16, 2018 at 06:35 p.m. Updated: March 17, 2018 at 12:29 p.m. 0 Likes | 0 Comments

@ NO.14. Green Bay Packers

Record: 7-9 (.539)

Comment woodbuck27:

The following agrees with my analysis of a Focus on primary needs for the Green Bay Packers..

Top needs: DB, EDGE, WR, ILB

The skinny: The Packers drafted a CB with their top pick last year (Kevin King), but they still need to upgrade that spot, and the safety position as well.

The departure of Jordy Nelson combined with the lack of production from Randall Cobb means wide receiver could be an early priority. It's time to add some much-needed pass rush off the edge, and Green Bay has to add speed at inside linebacker.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 09:25 AM

What we fans see and YouTube is hardly enough but all the same:

I need to follow your Que and watch more Video on him (Landry) Thanks red.

There's something about 'EDGE' Marcus Davenport that didn't excite me. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong but he seems almost Robotic.

Then again, that's exactly why he needs to be our Pick!? I'll take what I have and see who, between Davenport and Landry looks like the best choice

I'll Post on EDGE Marcus Davenport first:

Here's Video on EDGE Rusher Marcus Davenport and it's impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTyTQtQotzc

Then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZV5LMZN-bk

I'll Post on EDGE Harold Landry (upcoming) in this thread.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Harold Landry WOW ! He's fast and strong and very athletic. Do you like him better or not than EDGE Marcus Davenport that I feature in the previous Post?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxcRp2ars4A

Harold Landry Official Highlights | Boston College DE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwDSiBnEJQ

Boston College DE Harold Landry: "I wanted to show that I'm versatile"

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 09:47 AM
I made up my mind after a second third fourth look.

I like Harold Landry over Marcus Davenport.

run pMc
03-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Landry is more polished and ready to contribute than Davenport. If Landry is a reach at 14 and you know he'll be there at 20 you try to trade back a few spots and pick up a R2 or R3 pick for another CB or to package with other picks to get back into late R1 for another player.
The thing is, he might be the best pass rusher after Chubb, so someone will probably reach and take him.

I do wonder if Wilkerson is supposed to bring more pass rush and they take a corner...but they need more OLB pass rush, and I don't know where it will come from. Perry/Matthews probably won't stay healthy for 16 and the depth is not keeping opposing QBs up at night.
Are we assuming that our pass rush is coming more from the DL or the OLBs? I lean more towards the latter but that's probably because of Capers' scheme -- I don't know much about Pettine's scheme.

I would be very surprised if they draft offense at 14.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Landry is more polished and ready to contribute than Davenport. If Landry is a reach at 14 and you know he'll be there at 20 you try to trade back a few spots and pick up a R2 or R3 pick for another CB or to package with other picks to get back into late R1 for another player.
The thing is, he might be the best pass rusher after Chubb, so someone will probably reach and take him.

I do wonder if Wilkerson is supposed to bring more pass rush and they take a corner...but they need more OLB pass rush, and I don't know where it will come from. Perry/Matthews probably won't stay healthy for 16 and the depth is not keeping opposing QBs up at night.
Are we assuming that our pass rush is coming more from the DL or the OLBs? I lean more towards the latter but that's probably because of Capers' scheme -- I don't know much about Pettine's scheme.

I would be very surprised if they draft offense at 14.

Looking at ** the Packer Roster right now and 'D'.

May the (Luck of whatever!?) be with Mike Pettine. Frankly ** it's a mess ** except on the DL.

Good analysis run pMc. :pack:

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 10:48 AM
The POLL shows :

On Monday 19 March 2018 the nod at Packerrats goes to picking at EDGE Rush Harold Landry (3 votes) and Marcus Davenport (2 Votes) over CB Prospect Denzel Ward who has (3 Votes).

Anti-Polar Bear
03-19-2018, 11:25 AM
I'm glad you aren't our GM. You are the only person alive who doesn't seem to know our defense needs an infusion of talent. This isn't the best WR draft class by a long shot.

A QB rush could cause some pretty good players to fall down the draft, but odds are, a V-Miller or a K-Mack is not gonna fall to the Pack like the Great Arm of Butte did in 2005. This draft is supposedly deep at corner, and no chance Ward and Fitzpatrick fall to 14.

The Packers currently don't have a legitimate #1 receiver. Ridley could fill that wormhole. Draft Ridley then draft defense.

Fritz
03-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Trade up for Chubb so Gutekunst can draft him and then announce at the podium, "I've got a Chubby!"

Anti-Polar Bear
03-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Trevor Davis is an inch taller, .01 second faster in the 40, and has better measurables in everything except bench press (11 to 15 I believe). If the Packers want a guy like Ridley, they just need to use the guy they have. This is on the coaches and scheme. No way the Packers draft Ridley even if available.

Davis is skinny as fuck. Can't run routes worth a lick. Sucks at tracking and catching bombs, or catching anything for that matter.

Ridley runs routes like Jennings. He's as fast as OBJ. Has soft, warm hands - For hands of gold are always cold, but Ridley's hands are warm (GOT reference).

Gotta draft the guy.

mraynrand
03-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Ridley runs routes like Jennings. He's as fast as OBJ. Has soft, warm hands.

wait, how do you know his hands are warm?

mraynrand
03-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Trade up for Chubb so Gutekunst can draft him and then announce at the podium, "I've got a Chubby!"

hey, you stole my line - in reverse.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-19-2018, 11:58 AM
wait, how do you know his hands are warm?

Ridley rode through the streets of the city
Down from his hill on high
O'er the winds and the steppes and the cobble
He rode to my side
For I was his secret treasure
I was his shame and his bliss
And a chain and a keep are nothing
Compared to a man's kiss

[Refrain]
For hands of gold are always cold
But a man's hands are warm (X2)

For some reason, I can't stop listening to this song. :jig:

jklowan
03-19-2018, 12:06 PM
It's Edmunds, Smith or Landry if any of those 3 aren't there trade down

SudsMcBucky
03-19-2018, 01:57 PM
I voted for Roquan. Watched him play a good bit this year. That guy is a freaking playmaker!

pbmax
03-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Take it with a grain of salt but every NFL scribe writing on Wilkerson expects him inside on pass rush downs.

Carolina_Packer
03-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Stick to your board, don't reach for need over BAP, or you may regret watching the player you should have picked succeed with another team.

pbmax
03-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Stick to your board, don't reach for need over BAP, or you may regret watching the player you should have picked succeed with another team.

You leave Eric Ebron alone!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYRbPP9W4AIUx5-.jpg:large

run pMc
03-19-2018, 05:17 PM
That list makes Detroit's choice look bad IN HINDSIGHT.
Mighty glad we don't have to put up with Stafford-to-OBJ strafings of GB's secondary.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 05:18 PM
The POLL shows :

On Monday 19 March 2018 the nod at Packerrats goes to picking at EDGE Rush Harold Landry (3 votes) and Marcus Davenport (2 Votes) over CB Prospect Denzel Ward who has (3 Votes).

At 6:15 EST - Mon. 19 March 2018:

Someone went with EDGE Marcus Davenport at PICK NO.14.

Therefore now the tally of picking at Rush EDGE Davenport (3) and Landry (3) over CB Denzel Ward who has (3 Votes) is now 6 to 3 or 2:1 in Favour of Picking at EDGE.

run pMc
03-19-2018, 05:18 PM
The POLL shows :

LOL Woody -- how do you figure Landry AND Davenport are the pick over Ward? Last I checked 3 = 3 > 2. :)

Edit: I misread your post. You're looking at votes by position vs. player. Interesting.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 05:28 PM
LOL Woody -- how do you figure Landry AND Davenport are the pick over Ward? Last I checked 3 = 3 > 2. :)

Edit: I misread your post. You're looking at votes by position vs. player. Interesting.

In FACT:

At 6:15 EST today I just Posted the Packerrats Vote for the NO. 14 PICK showed a 2 To 1 preference of Picking EDGE over CB and 'of course that's assuming ' that CB Denzel Ward would be available and I doubt that will be the case. Ward is going to be off the Board at NO. 14. If the Packers covet him their going to have to Trade Up.

red
03-19-2018, 05:54 PM
i picked roquan smith

he's a man beast and is exactly what i've wanted in the middle of our D for a long time

but massive holes at CB and WR and OLB and OT will probably prevent us from taking the best defensive player in the draft

Brohm
03-19-2018, 07:33 PM
I'm hoping for Derwin James. Safety/Slot, hopefully will be the next 21 for our defense.

Bretsky
03-19-2018, 07:54 PM
I voted for Roquan. Watched him play a good bit this year. That guy is a freaking playmaker!

:knll:

Bretsky
03-19-2018, 07:55 PM
i picked roquan smith

he's a man beast and is exactly what i've wanted in the middle of our D for a long time

but massive holes at CB and WR and OLB and OT will probably prevent us from taking the best defensive player in the draft

OH SHIT..........NOW WE HAVE NO HOPE..........WE BOTH WANT THIS BEAST

Bretsky
03-19-2018, 07:59 PM
DEAR HARVEY..........IS DENZELL WARD REALLY THAT GOOD ?

IS HE A CAN"T MISS CB FOR GREEN BAY ?

I'm not sold on him but I know you are a f'ckin Buckey sniffer so figured you'd have a better inside scoop than me.

I need a strong blessing from you for the buy in.

Cheers
B

Zool
03-19-2018, 08:28 PM
OH SHIT..........NOW WE HAVE NO HOPE..........WE BOTH WANT THIS BEAST

Well he’s fucked now. ACL in rookie mini camp.

wist43
03-19-2018, 10:50 PM
BPA, yes... but always with an eye toward that 2nd pick.

Assuming they move Montgomery back to WR - that position isn't as needy.

CB is the biggest need position, duh... double up?? Ward and Oliver?? I want to come away with Oliver one way or the other.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 08:06 AM
I'm hoping for Derwin James. Safety/Slot, hopefully will be the next 21 for our defense.

Listen to this former QB. Unless he is the current Purdue Head Coach. Either way, family smarts.

Draft James.

hoosier
03-20-2018, 08:13 AM
For those who want a safety/slot corner/very small linebacker in the first round, where do you see Josh Jones fitting in with the new D? Is Derwin James just an upgrade over last year's second round pick? Why not try to get an edge rusher or a cover corner and hope that Jones continues to develop?

pbmax
03-20-2018, 08:14 AM
For those who want a safety/slot corner/very small linebacker in the first round, where do you see Josh Jones fitting in with the new D? Is Derwin James just an upgrade over last year's second round pick? Why not try to get an edge rusher or a cover corner and hope that Jones continues to develop?

You need two slot guys with Randall gone. And there is a report that Burnett is gone, so there is a regular safety spot open as well.

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 08:35 AM
You need two slot guys with Randall gone. And there is a report that Burnett is gone, so there is a regular safety spot open as well.

especially critical if Dix is really going downhill too...

Dix with Chix:

http://fabwags.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/haha-clinton-dix-bria-moody-6.jpg

Maxie the Taxi
03-20-2018, 10:31 AM
I hope the Pack drafts Da'Ron Payne*, DT, Alabama (http://walterfootball.com/draft2018DT.php)

Payne had 47 tackles, two sacks and a pass batted in 2017. He was superb, showcasing his freakish speed and athleticism. Payne was a tremendous run defender all year, shutting down his gap and keeping teams from running the ball on Alabama. When the Crimson Tide let him rush the passer, Payne demonstrated the ability to collapse the pocket and pressure the quarterback as well. He was superb in the playoff games against Clemson and Georgia.

Payne gets rave reviews all over the scouting community. In speaking with some general managers who have scouted Alabama, they think Payne and Minkah Fitzpatrick are legit studs for the NFL. Payne looks like the rare nose tackle who has top-25 potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qXMqKzoSxM

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Payne looks like a defensive tackle version of Eddie "The Hog" Lacy. Don't be surprised to see Payne eat himself out of the league.

No fat guys in round 1, please.

Carolina_Packer
03-20-2018, 11:10 AM
You leave Eric Ebron alone!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYRbPP9W4AIUx5-.jpg:large

Perhaps they were channeling their inner-Matt Millen with that pick?

Carolina_Packer
03-20-2018, 11:13 AM
i picked roquan smith

Stranger things have happened, but I think he will be gone by pick 14.

Maxie the Taxi
03-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Payne looks like a defensive tackle version of Eddie "The Hog" Lacy. Don't be surprised to see Payne eat himself out of the league.

No fat guys in round 1, please.Reggie White was a fat guy. Just sayin'. LOL

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Reggie White was a fat guy. Just sayin'. LOL

Exception rather than the rule. Plus, White played in an era in which the run game was a big part of pro football. DEs were preferred to be a bit chubby to better absorb the impacts in the trench.

wist43
03-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Reggie White was the best DE to ever play the game.

Don't think that's even debatable.

hoosier
03-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Forgot about Burnett, or rather figured he would be back after getting lukewarm interest on the market. I guess I was mistaken. On paper this defense is getting worse not better, something I wouldn't have imagined possible after the last two years. But on paper they didn't look all that bad last summer, so maybe looking worse will translate into less bad results. If not I expect we will be seeing a big reboot in about a year.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Forgot about Burnett, or rather figured he would be back after getting lukewarm interest on the market. I guess I was mistaken. On paper this defense is getting worse not better, something I wouldn't have imagined possible after the last two years. But on paper they didn't look all that bad last summer, so maybe looking worse will translate into less bad results. If not I expect we will be seeing a big reboot in about a year.

Regardless of the personal, the D is tenfold better now with Capers gone, according to Wist. :glug:

I suspect the German Shepherd is not yet finished fixing the wormholes on this team. Packers will be ready to rock come week 1.

Upnorth
03-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Reggie White was the best DE to ever play the game.

Don't think that's even debatable.

Oh, that is very much debatable. Dont get me wrong, he is an all time great, but best ever is debatable. In fact, I think we should debate this, it would be fun.

EDIT: My list of DE in the running for greatest ever. Decon Jones, Bruce Smith, JJ Watt

Rutnstrut
03-20-2018, 02:53 PM
especially critical if Dix is really going downhill too...

Dix with Chix:

http://fabwags.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/haha-clinton-dix-bria-moody-6.jpg

At least he's learning to "wrap up".

Cheesehead Craig
03-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Roquan. All day, everyday.

Freak Out
03-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Roquan. All day, everyday.

No doubt. If he is there still you have to take the guy. Of course he'll be gone.

Freak Out
03-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Oh, that is very much debatable. Dont get me wrong, he is an all time great, but best ever is debatable. In fact, I think we should debate this, it would be fun.

EDIT: My list of DE in the running for greatest ever. Decon Jones, Bruce Smith, JJ Watt

OK...I know this isn't the best DL ever thread but JJ Watt? What? Badger Homer? lol 2nd Bretsky account? lol

Bretsky
03-20-2018, 08:41 PM
OK...I know this isn't the best DL ever thread but JJ Watt? What? Badger Homer? lol 2nd Bretsky account? lol

HAAAAAAAAAA

Best OT in the History of the NFL............No Brainer...........JOE THOMAS
Best DL in the History of the NFL............No Brainder..........JJ WATT

And yes, I do bleed red and White !!!!!!!!!

Zool
03-21-2018, 08:38 AM
Watt might be in the conversation if he'd stayed healthy. He's crazy disruptive.

mraynrand
03-21-2018, 08:39 AM
And yes, I do bleed red and White !!!!!!!!!

The good thing is that most Leukemias are treatable now.

pbmax
03-21-2018, 09:26 AM
The good thing is that most Leukemias are treatable now.

Bravo. :D

woodbuck27
04-08-2018, 10:12 AM
The Green Bay Packers Pick in Rd. #1 @ NO. 14:

It certainly looks like the majority of Packerrats (7) like LB Roquan Smith from GEORGIA.

Another Option in this Threads Poll is Safety and versatile Prospect Derwin James from FSU the 2 -Time All ACC Conference Prospect.

Then there is this Prospect:

Inside LBer Rashaan Evans of Alabama who is moving up Draft Boards quickly.

Here's a Video comparison of these Three Prospects and in order of a Popular DRAFT Sites Ranking on Mon. 8 April 2018:

https://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2018.asp (SEE Bio's at this LINK)

12 -2 Derwin James Florida State S 6'2" 215

13 +1 Roquan Smith Georgia ILB 6'1" 236 OLB -3

14 -6 Marcus Davenport UTSA EDGE 6'6" 264

15 +1 Calvin Ridley Alabama WRF 6'1" 190

16 +35 Rashaan Evans Alabama ILB 6'2" 232

DERWIN JAMES:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfC0mRV3CTw

ROQUAN SMITH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exAoAOWztGM

RASHAAN EVANS:

" Rashaan Evans is like a human missile on the field. He makes so many great plays for Alabama. He fly's all around making huge hits and disrupting the quarterback ."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWryYBBAylE

All three of these Prospects are difference makers.

If we cannot get the TOP CB in this Draft I want a Pick that will be a Starter and applies a difference and Pressure up front on the Packer Defense. This year will be a year to see what we really have and I see 'a Three Year Plan' being installed. Overall the Packers have too many needs and (realistically) it's not going to get done this year.

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2018, 09:21 AM
I just watched some more film on Davenport. No question when he plays teams like RICE he is the most athletic player on the field. What I like about him is he is very active with his hands. He gets them out front and usually is the one to initiate contact with the offensive line which is really good. He also has a very good motor and doesn't quit on plays. He also has secondary pass rushing moves. For instance if he takes an inside rush and the tackle tries to wash him down he demonstrated a nice little hump move to get to clear.

He is a 3-4 rush end in college, he wasn't asked to do much in coverage but against RICE he did cover a back on a wheel route.

His feet are really fast, but his first step is a waste step half the time. He needs to work on his footwork at the next level.

Overall he is a first round selection that will need some grooming. I think he can play his rookie season after he adjusts to the level of the competition. If the Packers drafted him they would be taking a risk for the 2018 season, but I think if he commits to getting better at the next level he could be a solid player in years to come.

gbgary
04-11-2018, 03:25 PM
the cb position has a band-aid on it but the open wound at wr is still open. so smith the lb or derwin james the safety are possible impact picks for the D if something can be done about the wr spot. i'd hate to think allison has the spot by default. that's no improvement overall on O and the pressure on Rodgers to be a miracle worker, with his surgically repaired collar bones, remains.

gbgary
04-11-2018, 03:32 PM
I just watched some more film on Davenport.

Overall he is a first round selection that will need some grooming. I think he can play his rookie season after he adjusts to the level of the competition. If the Packers drafted him they would be taking a risk for the 2018 season, but I think if he commits to getting better at the next level he could be a solid player in years to come.

maybe for someone else but not the Packers. they need a no-brainer impact starter and if they have to move up to get it they'd better do it. no projects or settling for solid at this point of the game.

woodbuck27
04-11-2018, 09:12 PM
maybe for someone else but not the Packers. they need a no-brainer impact starter and if they have to move up to get it they'd better do it. no projects or settling for solid at this point of the game.

Yes whoever the Packers pick in Round one and as it's developing in our Mock and now at our POLL it's an Option to consider a Trade Down.

I like WR's Calvin Ridley and Courtney Sutton and DJ Moore.

I also like EDGE Harold Landry over EDGE Marcus Davenport.

Yet the more I look at it as a 'D' Pick >>> I like: On a popular Draft Site and Ranked right behind WR Calvin Ridley; ILB Rashaan Evans Alabama Size: 6'2" and 232 lbs. Whichever Team takes ILB Rashaan Evans should be very please.

In my final analysis:

It's looking like for now it has to be about help for Aaron Rodgers as the 'D' has too many holes.

Thus WR Calvin Ridley or "the Packer Brass's' Favorite Featured WR (to make TE Jimmy Graham look like a better addition) or an Option on the OL (ie even a trade down and Target at Tackle or Guard, as the most important thing is (keeping Aaron Rodgers on his feet).

Fritz
04-14-2018, 02:31 PM

I'm with you on this, GBG. They need someone who can come in and play well, and play well right away. I'm tired of discussing first round picks three years after they've been drafted, wondering if they still have some upside we haven't seen.

Sorry, Ted.

The Packers need to give us a Chubby!

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2018, 07:38 PM
I don't know if 14 is a lock t get a guy Tom come up in and play well right away. Maybe Quentin Nelson..

Bretsky
04-14-2018, 07:58 PM
I don't know if 14 is a lock t get a guy Tom come up in and play well right away. Maybe Quentin Nelson..

SURE HOPE the board goes your way with all the QB's coming off early; odds are good one of the FAB 5 drops and that's immediate help IMO

red
04-14-2018, 08:49 PM

yes yes yes

mraynrand
04-14-2018, 10:25 PM

a little early to start drinking, no?

smuggler
04-15-2018, 06:03 AM
I don't think there is way Nelson finds a away to 14. If he's there, it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if we took him. Would piss off a lot of the fans who, justifiably, want the defense to be addressed. But he looks like an all-pro player at guard.

Fritz
04-15-2018, 11:33 AM
I am hoping one of those top-notch defenders will slip to #14, whether it's a linebacker, a corner, or a safety. Of even Vita Veggie, or whatever his name is.

red
04-15-2018, 11:49 AM
I am hoping one of those top-notch defenders will slip to #14, whether it's a linebacker, a corner, or a safety. Of even Vita Veggie, or whatever his name is.

i will vomit in my hands if we add yet another d-lineman that we don't need

gbgary
04-15-2018, 11:56 AM
i will vomit in my hands if we add yet another d-lineman that we don't need

this!

Bretsky
04-15-2018, 12:24 PM

It would be KEY if a team drafted him ahead of us
I'd pass there

woodbuck27
04-16-2018, 12:20 AM
https://www.nfl.com/videos/analysis .. Click on the secondary LINK on RHS of the Page.

Hit.Miss or Meh ! Grading the Green Bay Packers 1sr Rd. Picks the last Ten Years.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2018, 08:12 AM
Did not have nearly as many hits as that guy.

woodbuck27
04-16-2018, 08:31 AM
Did not have nearly as many hits as that guy.

Think about that question in terms of this question and keep 'the GREASE' out of it please.

Did I make any comment on the TT Draft Teams record and Picks in Round ONE over that period?

Wasn't that Record acceptable to you Deputy?

A 60 % 'Hit Rate' isn't too shabby. :-)

red
04-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Randall is a miss, and raji is a miss

One good season is a flash in the pan, or a fluke

woodbuck27
04-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Randall is a miss, and raji is a miss

One good season is a flash in the pan, or a fluke

I know red but after all it's a Monday Morning and we have to at least post with some modem of diplomacy.

Thank You Ted for Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews III; but then again, what's left of the $PIE$ for the other 51?

Flash ahead to 2048 and the new Green Bay Packer QB who makes $100 Million$ per Year.

Ohh, Antique Cars and Trucks are all the rage.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2006/2006-10/2006-10-10/i-9qXMFXZ/1/507939f0/L/Flag%20Football12-L.jpg

mraynrand
04-16-2018, 09:40 AM
I know red but after all it's a Monday Morning and we have to at least post with some modem of diplomacy.

Pro tip: Don't hide your modem of diplomacy in your bathroom.

woodbuck27
04-16-2018, 11:05 AM

Here Genius; slap this down beside your salad plate:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-idiocy-scale-and-the-degree-size-scale-of-the-same-polarity_fig4_265167770

Fritz
04-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Half the time I'm not even sure what Woodbov is saying.

denverYooper
04-16-2018, 12:45 PM

Would that make it the commodem of diplomacy?

woodbuck27
04-16-2018, 12:52 PM

Read this:

Try having and open mind and reading. :-)

Zool
04-16-2018, 01:02 PM

You're not alone.

woodbuck27
04-16-2018, 01:09 PM
You're not alone.

I'll try to write with a Texan accent.

Fritz
04-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Read this:

Try having and open mind and reading. :-)

Okay, I did. "Try having and open mind and reading."

Hmm. What does that mean? Try having, and try open mind, and try reading? Try having an open mind when reading? Try having, and open mind when reading? Try: having, and open mind, and reading?

You Russkies. We're on to you.

Zool
04-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Da

Fritz
04-22-2018, 11:20 AM
You guys do so much research on these players. It's impressive.

Me, I just listen to about two minutes of ESPN while I'm at the gym, and make my judgement based on that infotainment. If the Packer GM doesn't draft that guy I glommed on to, I curse that damn GM.