PDA

View Full Version : Uhhh, Kyle Fuller?

denverYooper
03-16-2018, 03:54 PM
Brad Biggs
‏Verified account @BradBiggs
4m4 minutes ago

#Packers have signed #Bears CB Kyle Fuller to an offer sheet. Chicago placed transition tag ($12.9067 million on Fuller). So things will get interesting in the NFC North as the rivals compete for the former first-round draft pick.

red
03-16-2018, 03:55 PM
now thats interesting

denverYooper
03-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
3m3 minutes ago

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Brad Biggs

This is true. The #Bears have planned to match any offer and keep Fuller. The structure will be interesting.

Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
38s38 seconds ago

Bears now have five days to match offer sheet that free-agent CB Kyle Fuller signed with Packers.

Rob Demovsky
‏Verified account @RobDemovsky
2m2 minutes ago

Rob Demovsky Retweeted Brad Biggs

This is big. Even if the Packers don’t land him, they could have driven up the price for their rival.

red
03-16-2018, 03:57 PM
time to drive up the price

denverYooper
03-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Now this one strikes me as a truly aggressive FA move by the new FO.

hoosier
03-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Are the old poison pill clauses still kosher?

red
03-16-2018, 04:01 PM

no, i think they got rid of those a long time ago

you could offer something like 15 million or more a year for 5 years. make the bears pay a premium to keep him

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:04 PM
This is like poking Chicago in the eye. Fuller should appreciate that (even though he's not related to Corey Fuller, the db from Minnesota, but Corey Fuller, his brother the WR). How's that for some misleading NFL history?

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 04:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/kylefuller/2543681/profile

Kyle Fuller #23 DB ...Chicago Bears | Official Team Site

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16715/kyle-fuller

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018CB.php

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/bearsb_logo.gif

Kyle Fuller, CB, Bears. Age: 26.

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/star.gif

Transition tagged by Bears

Ranked at NO. 8 here: Kyle Fuller has frustrated Bears fans, playing well at times, but struggling mightily in many games. Chicago understandably declined his fifth-year option, but Fuller finally put it together in 2017 with a strong season. The former first-round pick is just 26 (in February) and can still continue to improve.

General Wiki Info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Fuller

hoosier
03-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Unless Gute really thinks he can get Fuller, I don't understand this move. It may be a poke in the eye to Chicago, but it also means that GB cannot offer another FA CB for the next five days. So it's basically either Fuller or you're looking at Tramon Williams, bottom of the barrel talent.

hoosier
03-16-2018, 04:09 PM
This is like poking Chicago in the eye. Fuller should appreciate that (even though he's not related to Corey Fuller, the db from Minnesota, but Corey Fuller, his brother the WR). How's that for some misleading NFL history?

Don't forget the tie that binds these Fullers from different mothers: old Frankie Bag o Donuts, former eye-poked center and now "color commentator" on Packer radio.

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Unless Gute really thinks he can get Fuller, I don't understand this move. It may be a poke in the eye to Chicago, but it also means that GB cannot offer another FA CB for the next five days. So it's basically either Fuller or you're looking at Tramon Williams, bottom of the barrel talent.

watch Chicago lose him, sign Melvin and Melvin turns out the better corner. Nah, this is Chicago we're talking about here....

denverYooper
03-16-2018, 04:19 PM

Maybe they figure Breeland will be available for a while...

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:20 PM

he's a grafty defensive back.

woodbuck27
03-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

20m20 minutes ago

"From what I understand, this is the second attempt by a team to secure Kyle Fuller with an offer sheet. One wasn’t accepted. The #Packers’ was. The #Bears have 5 days to match. Chicago placed transition tag (*** $12.9067 million on Fuller)

*** That's a lot of Money.

Comment woodbuck27:

I don't like this plan Stan.

denverYooper
03-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

20m20 minutes ago

"From what I understand, this is the second attempt by a team to secure Kyle Fuller with an offer sheet. One wasn’t accepted. The #Packers’ was. The #Bears have 5 days to match. Chicago placed transition tag (*** $12.9067 million on Fuller)

*** That's a lot of Money.

Comment woodbuck27:

I don't like this plan Stan.

The Packers don't have to offer him $12.9 mil for 1 year. That is just the amount the Bears will pay if he didn't get a more appealing offer.

ND72
03-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Very interesting. Fuller was the guy I thought of right away as a perfect match for GB. Then he got that tag put on him so I doubted. Love it. I'd assume that unless some contracts were redone and or cut, they would be done with signing free agents for the year. So who do they cut? My brother in law thinks they'd cut Bulaga & Cobb. I just don't know how. Cobb can't be cut, who do we have? I understand Bulaga has been hurt, and they have hope in Murphy & Spriggs, but do you do that? Looks like Bulaga is on the train to health again, so all seems well there for now. Very interesting. You'd think Gute has created a contract/offer sheet intelligently enough that the Bears won't match. Or if you know they will match, why go through this? Just to screw them? This is kind of fun though!

ND72
03-16-2018, 04:35 PM
The Packers don't have to offer him $12.9 mil for 1 year. That is just the amount the Bears will pay if he didn't get a more appealing offer.

According to the radio just now, the Packers offer must include year 1 being at least $12.9 mil. After that it doesn't matter.

*edit* - TV just explained it as well. Offer sheet must include transition tag price. He MUST make $12.9 mil this year.

The Shadow
03-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Do you remember how Rodgers unmercifully targeted Fuller druring a game a season or so ago?

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:41 PM

Tune into NFLN "Good Morning Football" and see what Nate Burleson has to say about it.

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:42 PM
According to the radio just now, the Packers offer must include year 1 being at least $12.9 mil. After that it doesn't matter.

*edit* - TV just explained it as well. Offer sheet must include transition tag price. He MUST make $12.9 mil this year.

right. and Chicago has to match or lose with no compensation.

Guiness
03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Very interesting. Fuller was the guy I thought of right away as a perfect match for GB. Then he got that tag put on him so I doubted. Love it. I'd assume that unless some contracts were redone and or cut, they would be done with signing free agents for the year. So who do they cut? My brother in law thinks they'd cut Bulaga & Cobb. I just don't know how. Cobb can't be cut, who do we have? I understand Bulaga has been hurt, and they have hope in Murphy & Spriggs, but do you do that? Looks like Bulaga is on the train to health again, so all seems well there for now. Very interesting. You'd think Gute has created a contract/offer sheet intelligently enough that the Bears won't match. Or if you know they will match, why go through this? Just to screw them? This is kind of fun though!

What is the cap situation really? pbmax, bump your cap analysis post to the top!

Bulaga is interesting as a cut - according to overthecap they could save up to $6.3M by designating him a June 1st cut. I could see them asking him to renegotiate.

I am curious to see what this offer sheet looks like.

run pMc
03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Hmm...not sure about this. Does GB give up a R1 pick if they sign him, or is that just for franchise tags?

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Indeed. Who they have to cut would depend on how the contract is structured; I would assume they can spread out some $$ over several years. However, I've lost track of how much cap space they have right now...

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Hmm...not sure about this. Does GB give up a R1 pick if they sign him, or is that just for franchise tags?

no compensation for transitional tag

red
03-16-2018, 04:47 PM

packers wouldn't have to give up anything if he signs with us

ND72
03-16-2018, 04:49 PM
I haven't known what to do with myself the past week. I'm not used to the packers #1, making contact with players. #2, being in the news. #3, signing people. I'm so confused.

Smidgeon
03-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Melvin to Raiders

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/raiders-add-rashaan-melvin-to-secondary/

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Melvin to Raiders

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/raiders-add-rashaan-melvin-to-secondary/

thought he would get more than that...

mraynrand
03-16-2018, 04:57 PM
I haven't known what to do with myself the past week. I'm not used to the packers #1, making contact with players. #2, being in the news. #3, signing people. I'm so confused.

true. Usually don't have to think about Packers at all during the offseason until day two of the draft.

MadScientist
03-16-2018, 05:05 PM
thought he would get more than that...

I would have liked the Packers to be in on him at that price, but I'm guessing they wouldn't want a 1-year deal and Melvin wants to bet on himself doing well and getting a really big contract.

The Fuller offer sheet is a risk, since they can't try to get honey badger for five days, and the Bears will still probably match it.

Gute is not TT.

denverYooper
03-16-2018, 05:07 PM

OK, interesting. My quick internet research didn't have much detail on that piece.

hoosier
03-16-2018, 05:12 PM

Cooling his heels as it were.

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2018, 05:18 PM
I'm actually a pretty big fan of Fuller, but I'd think the Bears will match the offer. I was high on him coming out in 2014. He looked really good as a rookie. He had a dreadful sophomore year, but he has rebounded. I didn't see him much this year, but PFF gave him a solid #1 corner grade. I don't totally trust PFF, but it appears his career is back on the trajectory it was after his rookie year.

Bretsky
03-16-2018, 06:14 PM
He's really good; awesome try to GB and nice to see GB thinking outside the box

But the Bears will match

Sparkey
03-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Bears matched the offer.

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Bears matched the offer.

Bears did the Packers a favor by matching so soon. They could have taken up to 5 days. This way Packers know they're not getting Fuller, so they can focus on other options.

pbmax
03-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Only $18 mil guaranteed?

I am kinda surprised Fuller signed it. But nice bump for him.

pbmax
03-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Now this one strikes me as a truly aggressive FA move by the new FO.

It would have been aggressive if they Bears had taken more than 2 hours to match it :D

pbmax
03-16-2018, 07:33 PM

I bet the cap number doesn't have to be $12.9, just the cash. So you pay him big bonus, so $12 mil is guaranteed and he gets $3 mil guaranteed in the next two years, either base salary or some kinda deferred bonus.

pbmax
03-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Melvin to Raiders

Probably explains the offer sheet to Fuller.

pbmax
03-16-2018, 07:53 PM
He's really good; awesome try to GB and nice to see GB thinking outside the box

But the Bears will match

Where are we on the turtle meter? Is the turtle right side up, upside down or somewhere in between?

Joemailman
03-16-2018, 08:16 PM
4 years, 56 million, 18 million guaranteed for Fuller.

red
03-16-2018, 09:29 PM
the most the bears offered for fuller before the tag was 10 million a year, so that little move just cost the bear 4 million per yar

nice

Bretsky
03-16-2018, 09:36 PM
the most the bears offered for fuller before the tag was 10 million a year, so that little move just cost the bear 4 million per yar

nice

Glad if we drove the price upward

But I'm a bit worried about our CB"s

Vincenzo
03-17-2018, 12:57 AM

No kidding!

pbmax
03-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Don't worry, Kizer will help.

QBME
03-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Bears match the Packers offer per the Chicago Tribune. Fuller to stay a Bear:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-kyle-fuller-packers-offer-sheet-20180316-story.html

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 09:09 AM

He's pretty talented at throwing the ball to DBs. They will get a lot of INT practice from Kizer.

woodbuck27
03-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Bears match the Packers offer per the Chicago Tribune. Fuller to stay a Bear:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-kyle-fuller-packers-offer-sheet-20180316-story.html

4-year, $56 million deal or averaged at $14 million /Year.

People here are concerned about the cost to the CAP and the upcoming signing of Aaron Rodgers.

Talk to the Packer BRASS and that !

pbmax
03-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Well, Phase 1 FA has developed a problem. https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/16/packers-sign-bears-cornerback-kyle-fuller-offer-sheet/433543002/

The Packers have watched as cornerback after cornerback has flown off the shelves in free agency, perhaps taken by surprise at the amount of money being thrown at the position. Among the corners who signed deals in the first two days of free agency were Johnson (Jets), Butler (Titans), Patrick Robinson (Saints), Morris Claiborne (Jets), T.J. Carrie (Browns) and Aaron Colvin (Texans).

One of the cornerbacks in whom the Packers had expressed interest, Indianapolis' Rashaad Melvin, was set to sign Friday with the Oakland Raiders.

Some of the cornerbacks that remain on the market are Buffalo's E.J. Gaines, Cincinnati's Adam "Pacman" Jones and the New York Giants' Ross Cockrell. But the Packers' best option right now is probably to re-sign veteran Davon House and perhaps bring back former starter Tramon Williams.

At least we got a backup QB.

pbmax
03-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Here is the hybrid Ron Wolf/Mike Ditka approach to the CB problem.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYff62sXUAggbP5.jpg:large

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 12:10 PM
^^^^ Best Player Available!!

mraynrand
03-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Don't cry about Fuller - he always wets the bed anyway.

http://www.snakkle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Kiernan-CulkinGC.jpg

Bretsky
03-18-2018, 09:52 PM

Ouch; that was painful.

Kizer fits in perfectly through. We got a backup QB who has accuracy issues. Now we have two !! lol

wist43
03-18-2018, 10:25 PM
I'd love it if James fell to us...

Not thrilled with the CB's I've looked at so far... Isaiah Oliver is at the top of my wish list so far. If he ran a little faster he'd likely be a top 10 pick. As it is, he ran a 4.51 at the combine. His overall skills are very good.

pbmax
03-19-2018, 08:57 AM
I had written that the Bears did the Packers a favor by matching the offer sheet so fast, or the Packers cap space could have been held hostage for up to five days.

Patler had asked if it wasn't still the case that the team making an offer sheet (Packers on Fuller) did not need the cap space until the deadline.

No one has stated it explicitly, but I think this Dougherty article hints at the answer: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/03/17/dougherty-packers-pickup-jimmy-graham-leaves-questions/433523002/

The Bears quickly matched so the Packers’ work was for naught. All they did was negotiate the contract for Chicago, and really they're lucky the Bears didn't keep them in limbo for the allowed five days. The Packers still have a couple of big holes at their top three cornerback spots, and not much left in free agency to pick over.

Doing a lot of inferring here, but limbo would seem to imply the Packers don't have to have the designated cap space immediately as Patler indicated. But that whatever plan you need to execute has to be ready for those five days. Effectively taking those moves and space and placing them on hold even if its unofficial. You have to act as though that money was spent and those moves might be made.

Unless its the Bears and they match so fast you don't even have time to prep a news release.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Well, Phase 1 FA has developed a problem. https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/16/packers-sign-bears-cornerback-kyle-fuller-offer-sheet/433543002/

At least we got a backup QB.

:-)

He won't develop until the Packers get someone in as a legitimate competition.

woodbuck27
03-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Not thrilled with the CB's I've looked at so far... Isaiah Oliver is at the top of my wish list so far. If he ran a little faster he'd likely be a top 10 pick. As it is, he ran a 4.51 at the combine. His overall skills are very good.

If the Packers go CB at NO. 14 it better be the absolute BEST Prospect falling to them; otherwise I feel it has to be a choice between EDGE's Harold Landry and Marcus Davenport. A lot of that will come down to the interviews and maturity. Landry looks better to me on Tape but either EDGE Rusher that may be chosen must be a starter. Can that EDGE handle NFL Caliber big and strong OT's?

On Tape Marcus Davenport looked a tad challenged in that Department.

Back to the smaller and speed Guys and the huge issues I see at CB and featured Wide Receiver. We need that Guy that can take the heat off of Davante Adams.

This isn't a Sprint now but a Middle Distance Race and getting to another Super Bowl, with all the pieces legitimately in place. We are behind when you consider the Packers lost two first round Draft Picks in the most recent Seasons; and those Guys are doing just fine out of the Packer Coaching System.

It's now the time to look forward not back. To re-build before it's too late and Aaron Rodgers Here's where Aaron Rodgers and His REAL toughness Vs breakabilty is going to come into clear view.

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
03-24-2018, 04:06 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

The #Packers offer sheet to CB Kyle Fuller that the #Bears matched, has a 2018 cap number of $6.5 million. It jumps to $13.5M in '19, $17.5M in '20 and $18.5M in '21. First-year cap made it easy for the #Bears to match. They'll pay $20M to him in the first year.

RashanGary
03-24-2018, 04:18 PM

4.51 is good. People over exaggerate that 40 number. 4.59 maybe not, but 4.51 is plenty fast.

red
03-24-2018, 06:47 PM
4.51 is good. People over exaggerate that 40 number. 4.59 maybe not, but 4.51 is plenty fast.

yeah pretty much

heres a video showing miles garrett, chubb, and bosa.

garrett runs a 4.64 and bosa a 4.86, huge difference in times, but as you can see, the difference is only 2 yards, or about 1 step. its maore about what you do with that speed difference

the difference between a 4.4 and 4.5 is almost nothing, a difference between a 4.3 and a 4.8 is something

wist43
03-24-2018, 06:58 PM
40 times don't matter for OL/DL... short area burst and strength are much more important.

For corners and wrs though?? Yes the 40 time can be telling. "A step" is all it takes for a wr to beat a CB. If a corner lacks that top gear, he has to find other ways to cover for that. He better be technique-perfect, i.e his footwork, jam, sideline press, ball awareness, etc.

pbmax
03-24-2018, 06:58 PM
There are other numbers that help tell more of the story. If you are quick and can change direction, if your first 10 yards are faster than others, then you can get away with 2 yards less of speed.

But what you cannot do is stack slower on top of heavy footed.

call_me_ishmael
03-24-2018, 07:39 PM
For a corner, I only want a number in the 4.4 or less, 6'0" or greater, and 200 or greater. Generally I want 4.45 or less. Preferably 4.35 or so.