PDA

View Full Version : Burnett (likely) Headed to Pittsburgh

pbmax
03-20-2018, 08:13 AM
James Jones is all over Packers leaving like Andrew Brandt is all over Aaron Rodgers first contract stories.

Jones says Burnett is heading to Pittsburgh.

https://twitter.com/89JonesNTAF/status/975953789550080000

Here is the quote from Scout.com (https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Report-Green-Bay-Packers-S-Morgan-Burnett-Expected-to-Sign-with-Pittsburgh-Steelers-116475029) that will make red post "told you so".

Burnett played here, there and everywhere on the Packers’ defense last season, seeing action at safety, inside linebacker and slot cornerback as the defense’s unofficial captain.

In 12 games this past season, Burnett finished with 65 tackles, one forced fumble and seven passes defensed. It was a far cry from his 2016, though. In 15 games, he had 92 tackles, three sacks, two interceptions and 13 passes defensed.

Injuries have been an ongoing problem. Last season, he missed midseason games against Minnesota and New Orleans with an injured hamstring. He returned after the bye to start against Detroit, only to suffer a groin injury in the third quarter. He then missed the next two games against Chicago and Baltimore.

A third-round pick in 2010, Burnett has nine interceptions in eight seasons. Burnett has played the full 16-game slate only twice — 2011 and 2012. He’s missed 10 games the past three seasons.

Due to those injuries, Burnett’s athleticism appears to be on the decline. PFF charged him with five of the nine touchdowns against the team’s safeties. Of the free-agent safeties, Burnett ranked No. 1 in tackling efficiency (only two misses) but third-to-last in receptions allowed per coverage snap.

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Burnett started his slide Jan 2015 in Seattle and it continues apace.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 08:44 AM
JSO is reporting that Burnett asked for $8.5 M/ yr from the Packers. 8.5 million frogskins for an average, aging, injury-prone safety? Not cool. Glad Gute allowed Burnett to walk the walk of life.

Jones and Dix aren't true frees, as Dix is too fucking slow and Jones is not quick enough. They should complete with each other for the strong spot. Bring in Eric Reid to play the free, yo!

Anti-Polar Bear
03-20-2018, 08:51 AM

:tup:

Fritz
03-20-2018, 09:09 AM
I thought that was 2013.

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 09:14 AM
I thought that was 2013.

maybe that was the start of Burnett's decline. But The Seattle Slide was Jan 2015. I'm still struggling with PTSD over that one.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 09:16 AM
maybe that was the start of Burnett's decline. But The Seattle Slide was Jan 2015. I'm still struggling with PTSD over that one.

Of all the plays, that one haunts me the least for some reason. It was poor but just doesn't produce the shakes the others do.

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Of all the plays, that one haunts me the least for some reason. It was poor but just doesn't produce the shakes the others do.

The Slide haunts me the most because it showed the lack of killer instinct with that group. I know that Seattle, San Fran, or almost any one else would have run that thing back as far as they could to put a stake in the heart of their opponent.

hoosier
03-20-2018, 09:38 AM

First and foremost I hold Peppers accountable for that. Burnett is to blame for trusting the experience of others over his own competitive instinct.

hoosier
03-20-2018, 09:43 AM
The Slide haunts me the most because it showed the lack of killer instinct with that group. I know that Seattle, San Fran, or almost any one else would have run that thing back as far as they could to put a stake in the heart of their opponent.

He had a decent chance of taking it back all the way. The slide was ridiculous. Compare and contrast to Shields's pick in the waning seconds of the 2010-11 NFC championship game in Soldier Field. Shields could have gone down right away and it would have been over after one victory formation. But he didn't, he tried to run the fucker back, and he almost almost coughed the ball up when going down around midfield. That was the time to scream at the interceptor to get down. The other botched plays (I remember three) were all pretty comical. The Burnett Slide stands apart for the reason Rand stated.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 10:28 AM
The slide from a competitive advantage point was ridiculous. Way too conservative. But I can forgive that calculation in the middle of the play.

ALL THE OTHER CONSERVATIVE calculations made on the sidelines (plus the unnecessary genius call of a FG block) are far less forgivable.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Between this and my brackets, now in foul mood :D

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 11:18 AM
First and foremost I hold Peppers accountable for that. Burnett is to blame for trusting the experience of others over his own competitive instinct.

I was going to ask whether Pittsburgh was trading for Peppers. :)

Rutnstrut
03-20-2018, 02:42 PM
JSO is reporting that Burnett asked for $8.5 M/ yr from the Packers. 8.5 million frogskins for an average, aging, injury-prone safety? Not cool. Glad Gute allowed Burnett to walk the walk of life.

Jones and Dix aren't true frees, as Dix is too fucking slow and Jones is not quick enough. They should complete with each other for the strong spot. Bring in Eric Reid to play the free, yo!

Yet they have no problem paying 11.4 Million to an aging, injury prone Clay Matthews?

red
03-20-2018, 03:04 PM
told you so

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 04:16 PM
told you so

:)

pbmax
03-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Pack really agreed with red.

RapSheet
The #Steelers and former #Packers S Morgan Burnett, agreed to terms on 3-year deal worth close to $14.5M, source says. Finally a top safety off the board.

Teamcheez1
03-20-2018, 05:48 PM
I haven't been very excited about Burnett the last couple of years. However, 3 years at $14.5M doesn't seem like a whole lot. Doesn't sound like anyone else was real interested in him either. I'm beginning to wonder if we will have enough people in the secondary to field a team next year.?

run pMc
03-20-2018, 06:25 PM
One wonders if the roster -- as it currently stands -- indicates what the new GM thinks of the secondary.

Anyone wanting a rebuild of the secondary is getting their wish. The coaches have their work cut out for them.

RashanGary
03-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Nelson, Burnett and Bulaga are the guys I was ready to move on from. Time to see if Gutey ends up 3/3 on my wish list. Honestly, Matthews too.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Yet they have no problem paying 11.4 Million to an aging, injury prone Clay Matthews?

Sacks and turnovers. Burnett was good for one per season.

pbmax
03-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Burnett's goodbye to Packland. I will miss him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjztTaFrsl/

Zool
03-20-2018, 07:16 PM
Ever wonder if agents hire publicists to write those things like they do when a guy gets busted for doing something stupid?

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2018, 07:29 PM

Jabril or Julius?

Put me on the record as favoring not signing for his asking price too.

red
03-20-2018, 08:14 PM
only signing for less then 5 million a year proves that every other team did their homework and didn't think he was worth a shit

this makes him the 26th highest paid safety in the NFL

this is addition by subtraction, now maybe we'll let a guy setup the defense that can count to 11

red
03-20-2018, 08:17 PM

sorry, we spent a second round pick on a safety for this very reason, so we didn't have to re-sign burnett

he will be the starter this year

pbmax
03-20-2018, 08:18 PM
sorry, we spent a second round pick on a safety for this very reason, so we didn't have to re-sign burnett

he will be the starter this year

Packers made the right call about that number. Holy cow did he overshoot. Unless he wanted a one year prove you can stay healthy deal or something.

hoosier
03-20-2018, 08:41 PM
The slide from a competitive advantage point was ridiculous. Way too conservative. But I can forgive that calculation in the middle of the play.

ALL THE OTHER CONSERVATIVE calculations made on the sidelines (plus the unnecessary genius call of a FG block) are far less forgivable.

And I would say I can forgive the conservatism from the sideline. Kinda. After all, it would have worked if Bostick hadn't fucked up. :-) The FG block call, meanwhile, was not conservative but boneheadedly stupid. And that I do not forgive.

red
03-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Packers made the right call about that number. Holy cow did he overshoot. Unless he wanted a one year prove you can stay healthy deal or something.

i think there were people on here that wanted to give him 10 a year

mraynrand
03-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Honestly, Matthews too.

I still think this guy plays a lot more years (if he wants, prob at ILB). People are justifiably annoyed at the amount he's getting for the (lack of) production. He's pretty much worthless pass rushing against any fairly decent LT (or RT really), and he's no longer a consistent difference-maker. You pretty much have to scheme to put him in a spot to succeed. But who the hell will take his place? Fackrell?

Zool
03-21-2018, 08:39 AM

This is your perception not reality. It's your us against them thing.

Joemailman
03-21-2018, 09:23 AM

I don't think so. There was some speculation that his market value would be 10M. But I don't know of anyone here who was clamoring for Burnett to be signed.

pbmax
03-21-2018, 09:30 AM
I am starting to like the Honey Badger.

Zachary Jacobson
Tend to really think Tyrann Mathieu’s deal with the Texans drove the market down for safeties. Morgan Burnett reeled in less than half of his originally estimated $9.8M market value.

Ty Mathieu
No not at all. Teams think they can replace safeties because of the "systems" they run. Teams want pass rushers and Top Flight corners. The Safety position is becoming a devalued position. So safeties have to literally play lights out , to even be valued.

Deputy Nutz
03-21-2018, 01:48 PM

Matthews is the great white hope. He is all marketing and offers nothing on the field

channtheman
03-22-2018, 03:30 AM
If we don't keep Matthews, than who will star alongside Rodgers in State Farm commercials?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-22-2018, 04:52 AM
Matthews is the great white hope. He is all marketing and offers nothing on the field

Claymaker has 80 sacks and a million QB pressures in the Green and Gold. Offering something on the field ain't the Claymaker's problem. Staying on the field is a problem, however. In other words, Claymaker is as awesome as Spartacus, but as fragile as Annabel Lee.

The awesomeness outweighs the fragility, so keep the Claymaker in the Green and Gold!

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Claymaker has 80 sacks and a million QB pressures in the Green and Gold. Offering something on the field ain't the Claymaker's problem. Staying on the field is a problem, however. In other words, Claymaker is as awesome as Spartacus, but as fragile as Annabel Lee.

The awesomeness outweighs the fragility, so keep the Claymaker in the Green and Gold!

Let's hope in any critical Defensive position or upcoming snaps, our cool calm and collected Head Coach knows where? Clay is !

That might start with a good nose and can you or not smell Clay's latest Hair Shampoo.

http://images.thepostgame.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_main/GettyImages-491328630-clay-matthews-hair-main.jpg

ND72
03-22-2018, 06:49 PM
I've known Burnett wasn't coming back at Christmas. His son goes to my wife's school. They didn't reenroll him for next year. His wife told the school they weren't planning to be back.

channtheman
03-23-2018, 04:53 AM
I've known Burnett wasn't coming back at Christmas. His son goes to my wife's school. They didn't reenroll him for next year. His wife told the school they weren't planning to be back.

Thanks for the breaking news. ;)

ND72
03-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the breaking news. ;)

Just saying I knew. I haven't been allowed by my wife to say anything, she didn't want to get in trouble. Local radio in GB has been slamming the packers for not resigning him... I don't think he had interest in coming back.

KYPack
03-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Who really knows when a player is going to leave town?

Real Estate people
School administration
The wife's mother, she is tracking the grand kids.

woodbuck27
03-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Real Estate people
School administration

His Girl Friend (s)

https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1868738/170487200/stock-photo-aggressive-sexy-woman-with-red-lips-170487200.jpg

mraynrand
03-23-2018, 01:24 PM

Real Estate people
School administration

The dude at the Cosplay Hut was first to know Rodgers and Munn had broken up.

channtheman
03-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Just saying I knew. I haven't been allowed by my wife to say anything, she didn't want to get in trouble. Local radio in GB has been slamming the packers for not resigning him... I don't think he had interest in coming back.

I'm just messing with you.

woodbuck27
03-23-2018, 05:46 PM

It was obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q73gUUr8Zlw