PDA

View Full Version : an idea on how to control problems (spammers and trolls)

red
09-09-2006, 01:33 PM
ok, this just hit me as IMO, a great way to control the amount of spammers and trolls we have here, and other delinquents. this also goes with what we once talked about with letting unregistered people view our posts.

we make a Jr. packer rats forum. this would be the only forum that new members and unregistered people can view. new members post n this forum, about whatever they want, packers, the weather, other teams, college, rants, etc). now, after they make a minimum of 10 posts, they are eligible to get into the rest of the forums. BUT

you have to have something like 10 or 15 regular members give you a vote of confidence, based on what they contributed in the Jr. rats forum.

so, say a new member registers, if they just spam a bunch of crap in the jr. forum, then no normal members will want them in, so nobody will vote them in. however, if that new member writes some good stuff, or at least acts civil, then the normal members will see this and vote them in.

just something to think about, it can be tinkered with

BallHawk
09-09-2006, 02:56 PM
It's a good idea, but there's a few problems with it.

(#1) Somebody could be a troll and just act civil until they get to the main forum and then be a troll.

(#2) Being on the jr. forum, they wouldn't get a real test for what PR is.

red
09-09-2006, 04:33 PM
It's a good idea, but there's a few problems with it.

(#1) Somebody could be a troll and just act civil until they get to the main forum and then be a troll.

(#2) Being on the jr. forum, they wouldn't get a real test for what PR is.

ok for #1. yeah you might still have the problem with some of the hardcore spammers and trolls, but it might help weed out some of the small time ones. remember we would still have to vote them in, so we could let them hang there as long as we want. like fight club, we could leave them on our doorstep for as long as we want, and the ones that really want to get in will stick around. plus, if someone gets through to the main forum and acts like a dick, he'll get banned, and if they try to regegister under a new name, the mods would have extra time to run the numbers and see if its someone thats already on the ban list. if they're on the list, they can just sit in the Jr. rats forum and rot.

as for #2

posters on the main forum can go in and post in the Jr. forum if they want to add something. this could help give them a taste of what the rest of the sites like. just a little taste though, we don't want to give away all our secrets

hey, if i'm not mistaken, the posters on this site are already being called a clic of a bunch of elitist holier then thou assholes, by posters on another site. we mine as well act a little like it, and keep the crap out

you know?

GBRulz
09-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I think everything will be fine as long as there is always a mod around to delete threads as needed. That's the big difference between here and JSO

red
09-09-2006, 05:00 PM
yeah i guess its not that big of a deal when you have mods and admin that actually do something, as opposed to jso

but they do still seem to find a way to sneak in from time to time

MadtownPacker
09-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Elitist!!!!!!!

:lol:

Partial
09-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I think everything will be fine as long as there is always a mod around to delete threads as needed. That's the big difference between here and JSO

Problem is there isn't. It was a good 3-4 hours before the thread was deleted earlier this week. I was on talking with Zool and Retailguy about this, and neither thought this was a good thing.

GrnBay007
09-09-2006, 05:19 PM

Problem is there isn't. It was a good 3-4 hours before the thread was deleted earlier this week. I was on talking with Zool and Retailguy about this, and neither thought this was a good thing.

Heck of a lot better than 3-4 days IF anything was actually ever done about it on jso

Scott Campbell
09-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Heck of a lot better than 3-4 days IF anything was actually ever done about it on jso

Exactly. And PR has completely eliminated Bear troll problems thus far.

falco
09-09-2006, 06:38 PM
the idea of making people go through a probationary period is just plain wrong.

we have mods here to delete these kind of posts; nobody is going to want to come here if they have to post a junior forum.

GBRulz
09-09-2006, 06:41 PM

You're right, Partial...3-4 hours is too long. Mad addressed the problem by bringing on more mod help, so hopefully the problem will be solved.

rdanomly
09-09-2006, 10:03 PM

we have mods here to delete these kind of posts; nobody is going to want to come here if they have to post a junior forum.

I agree. I think I'm in the semi-silent group that doesn't post much because I don't have much to say. It would be a huge pain to BS a bunch of post to gain access to the forum with all the meaty posts. I enjoy checking PR out because the relative lack of drama and top notch content. Those that post don't come off as elite to me, more like knowledgeable, competent, and mostly articulate. I would hate to be sent to a little kids table.

Bretsky
09-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't like a probationary period either; almost everybody is a good person in here and I'd hate to lose out on future good people.

pacfan
09-09-2006, 11:51 PM

I agree. I think I'm in the semi-silent group that doesn't post much because I don't have much to say. It would be a huge pain to BS a bunch of post to gain access to the forum with all the meaty posts. I enjoy checking PR out because the relative lack of drama and top notch content. Those that post don't come off as elite to me, more like knowledgeable, competent, and mostly articulate. I would hate to be sent to a little kids table.

I second this, I've been here for awhile and I haven't even broke 200. Moving the goalposts won't really change things.

I'll never get a rat name at this rate.

Jimx29
09-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Totally ignore them.
They have only one thing on their mind, and that's to compensate for their small weenuses, or fat asses and they think that stealing their Moms AOL password to access the inferweb is the way to get it

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I think all new members should have to eat dinner at a little card table next to the big table. If they eat all their vegetables and behave like good little boys and girls, MAYBE next time they can sit a the grown up table. Hey!! I saw that, young man! No dessert for you!

BEARMAN
09-13-2006, 05:44 PM
I been a gooood boy, can I eat at the big table now?
What , exactly, is a troll ?

GO BEARS !

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I been a gooood boy, can I eat at the big table now?
What , exactly, is a troll ?

GO BEARS !

Uhhh !

Google it... for an answer BEARMAN. :idea:

or maybe YOU... might even figure it out?

I believe, ALL things are possible.