PDA

View Full Version : Nutz's 2018 Mock Draft 1.0

Deputy Nutz
03-21-2018, 10:23 AM
1. Cleveland Browns: The Browns want a long term solution QB after trading Deshone Kizer their 2nd round pick from 2017 to the Packers. The Browns traded for former Buffalo QB Tyrod Taylor to start for 2018 but I don't think the Browns see him as their long term solution. They have the number one pick in the draft and they have 5-6 QBs with first round grades to choose from. My choice for the Browns would be: Josh Allen QB Wyoming. Allen has the best arm in the draft and has the most intangibles.

2. New York Giants: They have a lot of holes. They have a short term fix at running back with Stewart, their offensive line hasn't been good in years, and Manning is pretty much washed up. The have needs on the defensive line. Taking a QB will not help them in 2018 win games, but they need to start building for the future. A trade makes a lot of sense but they need to find the value in trading away the 2nd pick in the draft. For what ever reason I can't see the Giants keeping Manning and drafting his replacement, so they will take the highest ranked player on the board: The Giants will select: Bradley Chubb DE NC State. The Giants have always built their defense on the pass rush and their is no better prospect than Chubb.

3. New York Jets: The Jets need and want a QB. That is why they traded up in the first place. They really have their pick of QBs. All have potential to be great, but they all have potential to be busts. The Jets select: Sam Darnold QB USC. I am not a fan of Darnold. He is mistake prone and lacks mobility. He has the skill but something about him bothers me. I can say the same about Rosen as well.

4. Browns: They have the option of selecting Saquon Barkely the best offensive player in the draft. Personally I wasn't all that impressed with 2017 season, but he tested off the chart at the combine and he is a heck of a football player. The Browns as always have needs all over the field, so they could take a linemen, or corner. The Browns select Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.

5. Denver Broncos: Is Case Keenum really the answer? I can't hold my breath that Keenum is going to be able to lead the Broncos to the playoffs. He is smart and tough, but his skills at the position are still questionable. They could go a couple of different ways though with picking up Keenum. Keenum provides options. If the QB that they want is their I think they will pick him, if not they go with the best player that fits their needs. Broncos select: Denzel Ward CB Ohio St.

6. Colts: They traded down and they miss on Barkley. I don't think their feelings are too hurt but they need an edge player and their isn't one on the board that deserves the 6th pick in the draft. They have holes on the defense and also need help on the offensive line. The Colts go with the best player available and select Quenton Nelson OL ND

7. Tampa Bay Buc: Their defense needs help. Their best option at this point is a defensive back. They can take Fitzpatrick or James. Fitzpatrick offers more flexibility playing either corner or safety. Bucs take Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama.

8. Bears: they got holes like the rest of these teams. The Bears really wanted to get the hands on Fitzpatrick. D. James is the next best DB on the list but they don't need a safety. An Edge rusher or a DL would make sense. The Bears take Jaire Alexander CB Louisville. Alexander provides a ton of athleticism and speed. He might not be as polished as Fitzpatrick or Ward but he is the next best corner available and the drop off isn't that much.

9. 49ers: They need sack production. The Niners need to find the best option in this draft to pressure the QB from the edge. The 49ers select Tremaine Edmunds OLB Virginia. Edmunds is a fantastic athlete that showed off at the combine. I don't think he plays as fluid as the combine numbers would say. He can play all over and can come off the edge.

10. Raiders: Holes on the defense. Easy fill at this spot is Derwin James S FSU. Probably the best athlete in the draft, and the Raiders are thrilled that he drops to the 10th pick in the draft.

11. Dolphins: They have spots that need to be filled but they get their choice of the four remaining QBs with 1st round grades. The Dolphins look long and hard at Josh Rosen and make the UCLA QB the 11th pick in the draft. I personally am not a fan of Rosen and would go a different direction, but the Dolphins are not my problem. Dolphins select: Josh Rosen QB UCLA.

12. Buffalo Bills: they don't need to trade up to take a QB. The Bills can take Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, or Mason Rudolph. The Bills want a dynamic athlete but with some consistency as a thrower. Baker Mayfield makes sense here as he offers the best of both worlds. Mayfield doesn't the ideal height, but his play making ability makes up for it. Bills Select: Baker Mayfield QB OU

13. Washington Racists: Alex Smith isn't the long time solution to the needs of the racists. The Redskins can groom a QB behind Smith for at least a year. They have other needs but Washington needs to make sure the QB position is solid for the next decade. Racists select: Mason Rudolph QB OSU. Rudolph is prototypical pocket passer that has a strong arm and is athletic enough considering his size.

14. Green Bay Packers: Packers have holes all over their defense but their defensive backfield is bad with losing Randall in a trade to the Browns and losing Morgan Burnett in free agency. The Packers lack depth at linebacker and their offensive line is incomplete at the moment. Wide receiver is now an issue with the Packers cutting Jordy Nelson. If not for Aaron Rodgers this team is not a playoff team, not even close. The roster has been mismanaged for several years and it is finally showing. The Packers have needs and although the Packers have bigger needs at other positions but the Packers select: Roquan Smith LB Georgia. He is rated as the overall best linebacker in the draft. He can play inside or outside and stay on the field all three downs. He is good blitzer and can cover backs and tight ends. Really this a solid pick to build the defense around.

pbmax
03-21-2018, 12:40 PM
I'd be OK with Smith.

But not sure about Giants having a Chubby. Think they want a QB. Part of the thinking about the Jets now being at #3 is that the Browns won't get either of first two choices for QB if they wait for their second first round pick (4 overall).

Deputy Nutz
03-21-2018, 01:07 PM
15. Arizona Cardinals: The have one option left at QB and that is Lamar Jackson. He is a terrific and dynamic athlete that put on a show for Louisville. The question about Jackson is if his decision making ability will get better in the NFL. He can make all the throws and get out of trouble with his feet, but he will force passes and not read the defense. The Cardinals are taking a risk with handing over the keys to the franchise to Jackson but that is what they will do. Cardinals select: Lamar Jackson QB Louisville

16. Baltimore Ravens: Some defensive holes need to be filled and although they strengthened their WR corps through free agency it isn't enough to sustain their passing game long term. The Ravens select Coutland Sutton WR SMU. Sutton is a tall rangy receiver that isn't quite polished but will provide a big target early in his rookie year. The Ravens get the top WR prospect in the draft.

17. Chargers are not going to the franchise around with this pick, but they can need to add a talented player to their roster that can contribute in 2018. They need an offensive tackle, but there just doesn't seem to be a good fit at 16 for the position. The next best offensive lineman is Will Hernandez but he is strictly a guard. They will look at improving their defense with this pick and select Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama. Payne is a strong kid who offers the best of pass rush from the interior and run stuffing production. He will bolster a strong defensive line and create opportunities for Bosa and Ingram.

18. Seattle has a ton of holes on the offensive line, and finally on defense as the Legion of Boom has crumbled. They can use help all over the secondary with losing their top two corners, they also have a need for a pass rusher. They can look at the best available in the secondary and start there. Seattle selects: Joshua Jackson CB Iowa. Speed has never been a big concern when looking at secondary players for the Seahawks. They want physical and tall corners. Jackson is 6-1 and physical. He doesn't have top end speed but he is smart and can use his body to get between the target and the ball. Seattle is now in rebuild mode.

19. Dallas Cowboys: Cowboys would like to add a dynamic receiver, but would also like to solidify their defensive line with an interior pass rusher. The Cowboys also have a need at linebacker. The Cowboys select: Maurice Hurst DT Michigan. Hurst's biggest knock is that he has a heart condition, at this point it may not be enough to steer the Cowboys away from the agile tackle.

20. Detroit: The lions still need some help along the the defensive line and putting pressure on the QB. The Lions select: Marcus Davenport from UTSA. Davenport is as raw as they come. Hailing from University of Texas San Antonio Davenport has the physical tools and athleticism to be a disruptive force for the Lions. It may take some time but Davenport offers too much potential to pass on him this late in the first round for the Lions.

21. Cincy Bengals: Offensive line is still a need for the Bengals but they can address that later in the draft if they want to. There are several linemen that the Bengals can take with the 21st pick. The best option would be Tulane UTEP guard Will Hernandez, or Georgia guard/tackle Isaiah Wynn. Wynn is a bullish player with good feet. His lack of height will cause issues at tackle but his feet are decent enough for a team to plug him at right tackle. Most likely he will be a guard and be a darn good one. Bengals select: Isaiah Wynn OL Georgia.

22. Buffalo Bills: They got their QB in Mayfield. now they can look at addressing other positions on the field. The Bills need help and depth along the offensive line and there are plenty of linemen to pick from. Most of them have upside but also a bunch of concerns. The Bills select: Mike McGlinchey OT ND. McGlinchey offers the most solid option at this point. He isn't going to disappoint but he might never become a Pro Bowl type player.

23. Rams: Some interesting moves by the Rams in the off season. They are looking to improve their interior offensive line, and the linebacker position. They have options at both positions. The familar theme for interior linemen and inside linebacker is that you can wait later in the draft to make a selection. The Rams look for options on offense and select Calvin Ridley WR Alabama . Ridley is polished and could be the best route runner in this draft. He had a poor combine showing but it will still be hard for teams not to put a first round label on him.

24. Carolina Panthers: They need a playmaker at receiver or in the defensive backfield. They choose to go with receiver and address their needs with the selection of James Washington WR OSU. Bulky receiver that runs ok routes. Looks like a running back but offers explosiveness downfield. He will need to work on his route running and getting routes dialed in or he will struggle at the next level.

25. Titans: It's all about finding a guy that can come off the edge and the Titans select Harold Landry DE Boston College. Some thought he might be a top 15 pick but I don't see it on film. He has good lean into his pass rush which means really good balance for a tall player. He needs to improve against the run. He is sort of tweener between an OLB and a DE. The Titans could also look at filling spots at WR, DL, and the offensive line.

26. Falcons: The Falcons can improve their defensive line and they are in the right position to do so. They have a lot of players that can help them available in this draft. The Falcons get great value and select Vita Vea DT Washington. Vea is an incredible run stuffer and has huge girth for the position. Atlanta get a great steal here.

27. Saints: They need a TE but is there one that offers value in the first round? Not really but the Saints might have to reach as they do not have second round pick. The Saint look to upgrade their interior line and select Will Hernandez OG UTEP. Hernandez has a chance to be really special. He could be long term selection to the Pro Bowl with his size and athleticism. Saints get a very solid player at 22.

28. The Steelers have wants but not really any needs. They lock up their safety position by signing Morgan Burnett from the Packers. They can look at upgrading the linebacker position with the selection of Rashaan Evans LB Alabama. He isn't the big bruiser type from Alabama is smaller and quicker and could easily fill the role that Shazier played so successfully.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars: There are open positions that they need to fill to continue their run. The best player available at a position of need is Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St. He can fill roles at inside and outside linebacker. He had a fantastic combine and really raised the eyebrows of scouts. I think he looks extremely stiff on film, but he does read well, and gets through blocks with some effectiveness. What he will offer the Jags is flexibility and coverage ability down field.

30. Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings need to upgrade the offensive line with either a guard or a tackle. The Vikings select Kolton Miller OT UCLA. Miller had a great combine demonstrating some athleticism and fluidity. He is a good pass blocker, but doesn't exactly bring a level of nastiness in the run game. He will be a good book end tackle for the newly acquired Kirk Cousins.

31. PATS: The Patriots need work on their defense. It is not a total rebuild but the defense was the issue at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year. They couldn't stop anyone. They couldn't get to the QB with accuracy and struggled in the passing game. They need to address the secondary and they do this by drafting Mike Hughes CB UCF. Hughes doesn't have a huge frame, but he has the speed and the quickness to leverage man coverage. He will also help in the return game. The Pats could look to upgrade their offensive line with guys like Orlando Brown, Billy Price, Tyrell Crosby.

32. Eagles: Finally won a Super Bowl! Now they work to fill spots at the end of the first round. Teams like the Eagles can always go best player available and still fill a need. The Eagles could upgrade at the linebacker position and at the WR position. There isn't a linebacker with the 32nd pick. So they look to receiver. The Eagles select DJ Moore WR Maryland. If he played on a better team he may have had more name recognition but instead he ran a great combine that made scouts go back and look at his game film. He is a receiver built like a running back. He has good hands and can get down the field. For as big as he is he relies on making defenders miss instead of lower his shoulders on them.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Hey Nutz, if you like the way you post that much, you should go and love yourself. And if you think I’m still holding on to something, you should go and love yourself.

Bieber aside, nice write up. Disagree about Sutton being the best WR in this draft. Ridley has more kung fu. Ridley’s, far and wide, the best receiver in this draft

Packer should take Ridley and then draft defense with their remaining picks.

Why waste a pick on Smith when Brian Cushing is available on the streets of Baltimore?

The USC hotshot will go #1.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2018, 06:33 PM
To me that is the dream draft for the Browns. To get a generational player and the highest upside QB. Their defense isn't half bad now, and they added some nice pieces. I suspect Dorsey and company will turn that franchise around. I rate Smith higher than Landry overall, but I think it's close enough that I'd probably prefer Landry for us.

mraynrand
03-21-2018, 06:37 PM
To me that is the dream draft for the Browns. To get a generational player and the highest upside QB. Their defense isn't half bad now, and they added some nice pieces. I suspect Dorsey and company will turn that franchise around. I rate Smith higher than Landry overall, but I think it's close enough that I'd probably prefer Landry for us.

I don't think the Giants will pass on a QB. Getting Chubb could make the Browns defense pretty dominant. (Although some chatter in town says the jury is still out on Garrett).

Packers need to pick a game-changer, not a Bubba Franks.

Teamcheez1
03-21-2018, 06:44 PM
No Bubba Franks, no AJ Hawk, no Jamal Reynolds.

Need to hit it out of the park on the 1st pick this year.

Carolina_Packer
03-21-2018, 09:49 PM
No Bubba Franks, no AJ Hawk, no Jamal Reynolds.

Need to hit it out of the park on the 1st pick this year.

Can I interest you in Justin Harrell, sir? Perhaps a Derek Sherrod would be to your liking!

pbmax
03-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Maybe Nutz works for the Giants.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Now that the Giants have traded Jason Pierre-Paul to the Buccaneers, maybe they consider Bradley Chubb at No. 2.

mraynrand
03-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Brownies seem to be leaning towards Darnold. I guess Haslem (owner) showed up for his pro day.

woodbuck27
03-22-2018, 11:15 AM
1. Cleveland Browns: The Browns want a long term solution QB after trading Deshone Kizer their 2nd round pick from 2017 to the Packers. The Browns traded for former Buffalo QB Tyrod Taylor to start for 2018 but I don't think the Browns see him as their long term solution. They have the number one pick in the draft and they have 5-6 QBs with first round grades to choose from. My choice for the Browns would be: Josh Allen QB Wyoming. Allen has the best arm in the draft and has the most intangibles.

2. New York Giants: They have a lot of holes. They have a short term fix at running back with Stewart, their offensive line hasn't been good in years, and Manning is pretty much washed up. The have needs on the defensive line. Taking a QB will not help them in 2018 win games, but they need to start building for the future. A trade makes a lot of sense but they need to find the value in trading away the 2nd pick in the draft. For what ever reason I can't see the Giants keeping Manning and drafting his replacement, so they will take the highest ranked player on the board: The Giants will select: Bradley Chubb DE NC State. The Giants have always built their defense on the pass rush and their is no better prospect than Chubb.

3. New York Jets: The Jets need and want a QB. That is why they traded up in the first place. They really have their pick of QBs. All have potential to be great, but they all have potential to be busts. The Jets select: Sam Darnold QB USC. I am not a fan of Darnold. He is mistake prone and lacks mobility. He has the skill but something about him bothers me. I can say the same about Rosen as well.

4. Browns: They have the option of selecting Saquon Barkely the best offensive player in the draft. Personally I wasn't all that impressed with 2017 season, but he tested off the chart at the combine and he is a heck of a football player. The Browns as always have needs all over the field, so they could take a linemen, or corner. The Browns select Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.

5. Denver Broncos: Is Case Keenum really the answer? I can't hold my breath that Keenum is going to be able to lead the Broncos to the playoffs. He is smart and tough, but his skills at the position are still questionable. They could go a couple of different ways though with picking up Keenum. Keenum provides options. If the QB that they want is their I think they will pick him, if not they go with the best player that fits their needs. Broncos select: Denzel Ward CB Ohio St.

6. Colts: They traded down and they miss on Barkley. I don't think their feelings are too hurt but they need an edge player and their isn't one on the board that deserves the 6th pick in the draft. They have holes on the defense and also need help on the offensive line. The Colts go with the best player available and select Quenton Nelson OL ND

7. Tampa Bay Buc: Their defense needs help. Their best option at this point is a defensive back. They can take Fitzpatrick or James. Fitzpatrick offers more flexibility playing either corner or safety. Bucs take Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama.

8. Bears: they got holes like the rest of these teams. The Bears really wanted to get the hands on Fitzpatrick. D. James is the next best DB on the list but they don't need a safety. An Edge rusher or a DL would make sense. The Bears take Jaire Alexander CB Louisville. Alexander provides a ton of athleticism and speed. He might not be as polished as Fitzpatrick or Ward but he is the next best corner available and the drop off isn't that much.

9. 49ers: They need sack production. The Niners need to find the best option in this draft to pressure the QB from the edge. The 49ers select Tremaine Edmunds OLB Virginia. Edmunds is a fantastic athlete that showed off at the combine. I don't think he plays as fluid as the combine numbers would say. He can play all over and can come off the edge.

10. Raiders: Holes on the defense. Easy fill at this spot is Derwin James S FSU. Probably the best athlete in the draft, and the Raiders are thrilled that he drops to the 10th pick in the draft.

11. Dolphins: They have spots that need to be filled but they get their choice of the four remaining QBs with 1st round grades. The Dolphins look long and hard at Josh Rosen and make the UCLA QB the 11th pick in the draft. I personally am not a fan of Rosen and would go a different direction, but the Dolphins are not my problem. Dolphins select: Josh Rosen QB UCLA.

12. Buffalo Bills: they don't need to trade up to take a QB. The Bills can take Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, or Mason Rudolph. The Bills want a dynamic athlete but with some consistency as a thrower. Baker Mayfield makes sense here as he offers the best of both worlds. Mayfield doesn't the ideal height, but his play making ability makes up for it. Bills Select: Baker Mayfield QB OU

13. Washington Racists: Alex Smith isn't the long time solution to the needs of the racists. The Redskins can groom a QB behind Smith for at least a year. They have other needs but Washington needs to make sure the QB position is solid for the next decade. Racists select: Mason Rudolph QB OSU. Rudolph is prototypical pocket passer that has a strong arm and is athletic enough considering his size.

14. Green Bay Packers: Packers have holes all over their defense but their defensive backfield is bad with losing Randall in a trade to the Browns and losing Morgan Burnett in free agency. The Packers lack depth at linebacker and their offensive line is incomplete at the moment. Wide receiver is now an issue with the Packers cutting Jordy Nelson. If not for Aaron Rodgers this team is not a playoff team, not even close. The roster has been mismanaged for several years and it is finally showing. The Packers have needs and although the Packers have bigger needs at other positions but the Packers select: Roquan Smith LB Georgia. He is rated as the overall best linebacker in the draft. He can play inside or outside and stay on the field all three downs. He is good blitzer and can cover backs and tight ends. Really this a solid pick to build the defense around.

I've been thinking about this NO. 14 Pick over the past few days and I like EDGE Harold Landry but it has to be a NFL Starter ready selection and NO. 14 So is Roquan Smith LB Georgia an eligible candidate for the Pick in Rd. 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exAoAOWztGM

ABSOLUTELY....and he can certainly be our new Morgan Burnett if he get's all in and can call the Defense.

If the Packers pick Roquan Smith my reaction will be an 'all right !'.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-22-2018, 11:39 AM
I've been thinking about this NO. 14 Pick over the past few days and I like EDGE Harold Landry but it has to be a NFL Starter ready selection and NO. 14 So is Roquan Smith LB Georgia an eligible candidate for the Pick in Rd. 1?

ABSOLUTELY....and he can certainly be our new Morgan Burnett if he get's all in and can call the Defense.

Watching the clip of Smith above, there sure are tons of highlights of Smith tackling the ball carrier 5-10 yards down field. Smith sure as heck looks like a black AJ Hawk to me.

QBME
03-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Holy crap - with the G-Men trading JPP today, looks like your #2 overall selection is a lock.

Deputy Nutz
03-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Just saw a CBSSports mock where the Packers pass on Derwin James to take the Davenport. It smells just stupid enough for the Packers to go that route.

woodbuck27
03-24-2018, 06:05 AM
Just saw a CBSSports mock where the Packers pass on Derwin James to take the Davenport. It smells just stupid enough for the Packers to go that route.

The Packers have to hit on a Starter.

texaspackerbacker
03-24-2018, 03:01 PM
I applaud Nutz for the work he put in on this. A lot of this makes good sense. That's a helluva lot of first round QBs.

I really don't agree that the Packers will take Roquan Smith. We need to snag a pass rusher, not another ILB - a position de-emphasized in our scheme, same with Pettine as Capers. Roquan at best is the equal of Blake Martinez, and the two would not see the field together a very big percentage of plays.

I still want Davenport, or if not him, Landry.

The only other team I care about enough to give an opinion, the Cowboys, IMO are unlikely to go after a D Lineman. Their glaring weakness is DBs.

Bretsky
03-24-2018, 10:41 PM

SMITTH would absolutely be a great pick for GB: best LB in the draft. He can play in and out. He has the size and measurable and a bit of nastiness GB has missed. Playmaker for many years to come, and he gives GB flexibility to move Clay all over the field and create mismatches.

IF he's there they need to take him. Personally I don't think he's there when we draft

HarveyWallbangers
03-24-2018, 11:17 PM
SMITTH would absolutely be a great pick for GB: best LB in the draft. He can play in and out. He has the size and measurable and a bit of nastiness GB has missed. Playmaker for many years to come, and he gives GB flexibility to move Clay all over the field and create mismatches.

IF he's there they need to take him. Personally I don't think he's there when we draft

I followed Georgia a lot this year. Smith is a great talent, but he can't play outside in the 3-4. He's a 4-3 WLB or 3-4 ILB. If you draft him, Matthews has to stay outside. If you draft Edmunds or Landry, you can move Matthews around.

Bretsky
03-25-2018, 11:58 AM
I followed Georgia a lot this year. Smith is a great talent, but he can't play outside in the 3-4. He's a 4-3 WLB or 3-4 ILB. If you draft him, Matthews has to stay outside. If you draft Edmunds or Landry, you can move Matthews around.

interesting; I've ready he's projected to be able to be a dominant ILB at the 3-4 but also to be able to pass rush from OLB. He seems like CJ Mosely to me.

Landry....I have not watched a lot. But the mocks I've seen seem to have him going in the 22-28 range for what it's worth.

I do like Edmunds.

run pMc
03-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Yup. Roquan is somewhere around 6-1, which means he'll get swallowed up by those 6-7 OT's unless he has orangutan arms or can win with quickness and leverage. I am coming around to him from the standpoint of having a mobile enforcer in the middle of the field. Don't think there's been one since...Desmond Bishop maybe? I do wonder if that helped their pass rush -- having Matthews plus the threat of someone from the inside. You'd think Perry + Matthews + Daniels would be better than Matthews + Zombo + Pickett. Wait, I guess they had Cullen Jenkins...still.

I don't think they will invest a high pick in a guy who can really only play inside in a 3-4, especially since they can probably pair up Josh Jones with Martinez if they want similar size with faster speed and coverage ability. I like Smith as a player, think he could be good, not sure about his fit with GB though.

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2018, 12:44 PM

Exactly. And if Matthews is still gonna be a major positive factor, he's gonna need to play more ILB than OLB.

bobblehead
03-25-2018, 12:58 PM

a) he won't be there.
b) if he is I would bet 10k that we take him.

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2018, 01:05 PM
We don't need a Safety; We very much do need an outside pass rusher.

Davenport still would be my choice - followed by Landry and now Edmunds.

Deputy Nutz
03-26-2018, 07:22 AM
Last time I checked the Packers have one starting safety on the roster and he had a shit year.

Deputy Nutz
03-26-2018, 07:24 AM
Exactly. And if Matthews is still gonna be a major positive factor, he's gonna need to play more ILB than OLB.

He is a terrible inside linebacker and a washed up outside linebacker. The most value Matthews offers this team is to be cut so that the Packers can reinvest his 10 million salary.

Matthews is injured and misses too many tackles when he is on the field. He isn't going to get better at either the older he gets. Matthews also can't cover a soul. He is white and has pretty hair and does a mean sack dance every 4th game. Outside of that he has given this team next to nothing the last 3 years.

pbmax
03-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Last time I checked the Packers have one starting safety on the roster and he had a shit year.

No hope for Jones? He is clearly going to start now.

Deputy Nutz
03-26-2018, 09:16 AM
I like Jones, although he didn't have nearly the rookie season that would lead you to believe he is capable of starting. He look lost for the better part of the season. I am not saying the Packers have an absolute need for taking a safety, but if a guy like James falls to the Packers at 14 its not like the Packers have two veteran starting safeties where they could pass on him.

Zool
03-26-2018, 09:18 AM
I like Jones, although he didn't have nearly the rookie season that would lead you to believe he is capable of starting. He look lost for the better part of the season. I am not saying the Packers have an absolute need for taking a safety, but if a guy like James falls to the Packers at 14 its not like the Packers have two veteran starting safeties where they could pass on him.

And it's not like the Packers don't have injuries to the secondary every year.

bobblehead
03-26-2018, 10:54 AM
We don't need a Safety; We very much do need an outside pass rusher.

Davenport still would be my choice - followed by Landry and now Edmunds.

You don't pass on the next polamalu to draft for need.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-26-2018, 11:03 AM

Eric Reid is available. Still in his prime. Sign Reid instead of wasting a 1st rounder on a saftey.

Big Ben raped a 20 year old chick in the bathroom of a bar - he's still in the league. Winston raped a co-ed while at FSU - in the league; folks in south Florida, or wherever the hell Tampa is, worship him like a god. Mixon was caught on tape pulling a Ray Rice - still got drafted. Elliot threats women like hoes - playing in the league.

Reid is a model citizen, not to mention, a damn good saftey.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-26-2018, 11:23 AM

I do not concur with the above statement.

Keep the Claymaker at OLB til he's 40. Peppers had 11 sacks last season at 37. No reason the Claymaker can't do the same. And fuck Nutz. The Claymaker is still awesome, especially at OLB. When QB pressures, knockdowns, tipped passes, and other stuffs are taken into consideration along with sacks, the Claymaker is, well, awesome.

Claymaker just needs to grow a pair and quit leaving the field whenever his hammy itches.

Pugger
03-26-2018, 11:52 AM

What is it that you don't like about Davenport?

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2018, 12:11 PM
I have Davenport and Landry about even. I don't know if either is worth the #14 pick for our scheme though. Davenport didn't look like he has much ability to cover. He looks like a 4-3 DE to me (but an intriguing one). Davenport is more Nick Perry than Clay. Landry is the opposite. In some 3-4 schemes that works where one OLB is more of the a power OLB that isn't asked to cover much and the other OLB is the do everything stud. In other 3-4 schemes the OLBs are more interchangeable. I don't know enough about Pettine's scheme to know what he wants. I suspect interchangeable would be more ideal, but Pettine will work with what he has. So did Capers in this case, for what it's worth. I wonder how far we'd have to move up to get Edmunds. I'm about to watch Lorenzo Carter and Josh Sweat to see if they are viable options in round 2. Athletically, Kyle Fitts looks intruging. I thought Dorance Armstrong looked good at the combine. I don't like Arden Key.

jklowan
03-26-2018, 06:10 PM
I have Davenport and Landry about even. I don't know if either is worth the #14 pick for our scheme though. Davenport didn't look like he has much ability to cover. He looks like a 4-3 DE to me (but an intriguing one). Davenport is more Nick Perry than Clay. Landry is the opposite. In some 3-4 schemes that works where one OLB is more of the a power OLB that isn't asked to cover much and the other OLB is the do everything stud. In other 3-4 schemes the OLBs are more interchangeable. I don't know enough about Pettine's scheme to know what he wants. I suspect interchangeable would be more ideal, but Pettine will work with what he has. So did Capers in this case, for what it's worth. I wonder how far we'd have to move up to get Edmunds. I'm about to watch Lorenzo Carter and Josh Sweat to see if they are viable options in round 2. Athletically, Kyle Fitts looks intruging. I thought Dorance Armstrong looked good at the combine. I don't like Arden Key.

I'd love Edmunds in the 1st / Oliver in the 2nd / Sweat in the 3rd, man that would be great

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2018, 09:23 AM
What is it that you don't like about Davenport?
He looks stiff and doesn't have the array of pass rushing technique I would be content with for a player in the top half of the first round. He played against sub competition. He is athletic and provided some very good combine numbers but I would be careful drafting a guy from San Antonio who nobody ever saw play until his highlights came up after the combine. Packers are in a position they are rarely in drafting in the top half of the 1st round, they can't really miss on this pick, it will set this franchise back quite a bit. Now all guys can bust, and there is no sure thing, but taking a developmental guy in the top half of the draft to play behind Matthews and Perry? Nope you should be taking a guy that is penciled in as a starter. If the Packers want to cut Matthews I am all for it, but how many resources are the Packers going to continue to dump into the Rush ends and not get the production they need?

pbmax
03-27-2018, 11:13 AM
He looks stiff and doesn't have the array of pass rushing technique I would be content with for a player in the top half of the first round. He played against sub competition. He is athletic and provided some very good combine numbers but I would be careful drafting a guy from San Antonio who nobody ever saw play until his highlights came up after the combine. Packers are in a position they are rarely in drafting in the top half of the 1st round, they can't really miss on this pick, it will set this franchise back quite a bit. Now all guys can bust, and there is no sure thing, but taking a developmental guy in the top half of the draft to play behind Matthews and Perry? Nope you should be taking a guy that is penciled in as a starter. If the Packers want to cut Matthews I am all for it, but how many resources are the Packers going to continue to dump into the Rush ends and not get the production they need?

Any concern you may miss out on generational talent and get AJ Hawk instead?

Zool
03-27-2018, 12:38 PM

I worry about getting Mike Mamula

pbmax
03-27-2018, 03:37 PM
I worry about getting Mike Mamula

Mamula was fine. Maybe not top half of first round fine, but not a compete bust like everyone says. Very much AJ Hawk in that he was good, not great, then injuries took away the things he once could do.

His rep as a workout freak because of his combine is overdone too because he was a very productive player at BC.

Its the upside you miss with him or Hawk. If you are in the Top 15, you kinda want an All-Pro. But regardless, the bust rate is 50%.

Zool
03-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Mamula was fine. Maybe not top half of first round fine, but not a compete bust like everyone says. Very much AJ Hawk in that he was good, not great, then injuries took away the things he once could do.

His rep as a workout freak because of his combine is overdone too because he was a very productive player at BC.

Its the upside you miss with him or Hawk. If you are in the Top 15, you kinda want an All-Pro. But regardless, the bust rate is 50%.

Fine, I worry about getting Courtney Brown or Trev Alberts. Or insert any of the 1st round mediocre at best guys who shot up boards post combine.

pbmax
03-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Fine, I worry about getting Courtney Brown or Trev Alberts. Or insert any of the 1st round mediocre at best guys who shot up boards post combine.

I share the concern. Even Hawk or Mamula seem like a lost opportunity. Top 10 seems like you should get an All Pro.

Picking in the teens seem a lot dicier. But someone will fall, just don't know if it will be your guy.

Its tough to take comfort in "at least he wasn't a TOTAL bust".

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2018, 09:14 AM
I would say that Hawk was probably the most productive player to come out of the top ten of guys in that draft. That draft was really deep on paper, but guys never materialized their raw talent. Hawk instincts in college never materialized to the pro game.

Teamcheez1
03-28-2018, 10:03 AM
I would say that Hawk was probably the most productive player to come out of the top ten of guys in that draft. That draft was really deep on paper, but guys never materialized their raw talent. Hawk instincts in college never materialized to the pro game.

We would have been raving about Hawk's career in GB if he had been selected in rounds 4 -7. Being the 5th pick in the draft created higher expectations.

Smidgeon
03-28-2018, 02:54 PM

That year was a terrible draft.

Going off memory, wasn't Ngata the best 1st rounder that year? Was he also the best overall player in that draft? Am I missing someone?

Zool
03-28-2018, 03:51 PM

Going off memory, wasn't Ngata the best 1st rounder that year? Was he also the best overall player in that draft? Am I missing someone?

Second half of that draft was pretty good. D’Brick was a hello a tackle for a while. Reggie Bush had a decent career. I think it was probably a pretty typical draft in terms of boom and bust and everything inbetween.

#7 overall is my favorite pick that year.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2006

run pMc
03-28-2018, 04:48 PM
#11 overall is most Packer fans favorite pick that year.

pbmax
03-28-2018, 05:21 PM
#11 overall is most Packer fans favorite pick that year.

He helped the Pack as much as AJ.

bobblehead
03-28-2018, 06:02 PM
I do not concur with the above statement.

Keep the Claymaker at OLB til he's 40. Peppers had 11 sacks last season at 37. No reason the Claymaker can't do the same. And fuck Nutz. The Claymaker is still awesome, especially at OLB. When QB pressures, knockdowns, tipped passes, and other stuffs are taken into consideration along with sacks, the Claymaker is, well, awesome.

Claymaker just needs to grow a pair and quit leaving the field whenever his hammy itches.

Well, no reason other than he isn't that good of a pass rusher and never actually was.

bobblehead
03-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Always. But that was a pretty crappy draft and we got an average LB at 5. This draft has certain advantages over that one.

bobblehead
03-28-2018, 06:07 PM
We would have been raving about Hawk's career in GB if he had been selected in rounds 4 -7. Being the 5th pick in the draft created higher expectations.

No...I would never have raved. Nice pick at 6th round may have been said, but never rave.

KYPack
03-28-2018, 08:52 PM

Yeah, for several years Haloti was the best player in the NFL.

In yet another screw-up, the Browns traded the Ravens their #1 so Baltimore could pick Ngata.

(One genius ragged at the Pack for not drafting Michael Huff from Texas that year. )

hoosier
03-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Well, no reason other than he isn't that good of a pass rusher and never actually was.

Apparently you have forgotten what the early version looked like or have selective memory. In 2010 he was a sack/pressure machine.

call_me_ishmael
03-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Apparently you have forgotten what the early version looked like or have selective memory. In 2010 he was a sack/pressure machine.

I don't personally disagree. I do think one could make the argument that Clay was just an extremely explosive athlete that took advantage of the best DL in football that year. I'm not personally making that argument, but I would at least consider and listen if someone else made it.

I don't think Clay ever had the premier pass rushing ability of some of the all-time greats. He is a freaky athlete sort of like Urlacher though. For a person to be a 10 year starter and multi-time pro bowler at edge rusher, I would have expected him to have contributed more sacks I guess.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Yeah, for several years Haloti was the best player in the NFL.

In yet another screw-up, the Browns traded the Ravens their #1 so Baltimore could pick Ngata.

(One genius ragged at the Pack for not drafting Michael Huff from Texas that year. )

In hindsight, Packers should've tanked that season for Bush. Dude could've been the next Roger Craig had he played in a quasi-West Coast Offense like McCarthy's.

Then again, had the Packers tanked, we would've seen the Great Arm of Butte play a bunch. As Rodgers was clearly not ready for prime time as a rook, he would've stunk up the joint badly. Having seen Rodgers play miserably, Thompson would not have hesitated to trade Butte to Oakland for Randy Moss in 2007.

Packers would've won the Super Bowl after the 2007 season, and Favre would've rode into the sunset afterward. Packers would've finished 1-15 with Criag Nall at the helm in 2008. With the 1st overall pick in the 2009 draft, Thompson would've drafted Matthew Stafford.

hoosier
03-29-2018, 01:25 PM
I don't personally disagree. I do think one could make the argument that Clay was just an extremely explosive athlete that took advantage of the best DL in football that year. I'm not personally making that argument, but I would at least consider and listen if someone else made it.

I don't think Clay ever had the premier pass rushing ability of some of the all-time greats. He is a freaky athlete sort of like Urlacher though. For a person to be a 10 year starter and multi-time pro bowler at edge rusher, I would have expected him to have contributed more sacks I guess.

Best defensive line in football??? They had 1-2 good pass rushing DL: Cullen Jenkins and Raji emerging later in the season. The other guy or guys were just run stuffers. You say Matthews was "just an extremely explosive athlete"....well, isn't that a pretty good description of one of the main skills of a good pass rusher? :-)

call_me_ishmael
03-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Best defensive line in football??? They had 1-2 good pass rushing DL: Cullen Jenkins and Raji emerging later in the season. The other guy or guys were just run stuffers. You say Matthews was "just an extremely explosive athlete"....well, isn't that a pretty good description of one of the main skills of a good pass rusher? :-)

Right, like I said I don't agree, but I would entertain the argument. I wwill say that I am surprised his career has gone the way that it has and he hasn't been more productive. He is so athletic and quick. I am left bewildered wondering why his numbers are what they are. I feel like the explosiveness is there to have better numbers.

hoosier
03-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Right, like I said I don't agree, but I would entertain the argument. I wwill say that I am surprised his career has gone the way that it has and he hasn't been more productive. He is so athletic and quick. I am left bewildered wondering why his numbers are what they are. I feel like the explosiveness is there to have better numbers.

His numbers include 80 sacks in 9 years. How many linebackers do you think have managed to produce more than that? Compare his yearly sack output to Terrell Suggs and James Harrison.

bobblehead
03-30-2018, 09:48 AM

At that time I said he was benefitting from weak competition. Every time he went one on one with a decent tackle he was stonewalled.

If you recall I predicted he would never have a season as good as Kampman from a sacks perspective and that stands.

bobblehead
03-30-2018, 09:49 AM

I'm willing to consider I'm wrong since this is basically my thought process.

bobblehead
03-30-2018, 09:50 AM

One of. His moves are 1) speed rush the edge 2) come from disguised position untouched 3) get stonewalled by good tackle.

bobblehead
03-30-2018, 09:52 AM
His numbers include 80 sacks in 9 years. How many linebackers do you think have managed to produce more than that? Compare his yearly sack output to Terrell Suggs and James Harrison.

In 2010 McGinn called him the best OLB in football. Most here agreed. I said Cameron Wake was. I think Mathews is a great player, but should have been a move around guy to exploit all his skills as very good and none elite.

KYPack
03-30-2018, 09:58 AM
In hindsight, Packers should've tanked that season for Bush. Dude could've been the next Roger Craig had he played in a quasi-West Coast Offense like McCarthy's.

Then again, had the Packers tanked, we would've seen the Great Arm of Butte play a bunch. As Rodgers was clearly not ready for prime time as a rook, he would've stunk up the joint badly. Having seen Rodgers play miserably, Thompson would not have hesitated to trade Butte to Oakland for Randy Moss in 2007.

Packers would've won the Super Bowl after the 2007 season, and Favre would've rode into the sunset afterward. Packers would've finished 1-15 with Criag Nall at the helm in 2008. With the 1st overall pick in the 2009 draft, Thompson would've drafted Matthew Stafford.

This is all stupid shit.

Bush DID go to a WC offensive team, the Saints. He won a Super Bowl there. He might not have affected our fortunes at all let alone guarantee SB's!

Thompson would trade Rodgers for Moss so Favre would ride off into the sunset with an SB championship? Favre rode off into the sunset the same year WE won the SB.

Thank God Thompson didn't draft the guy you were ripping him for NOT drafting - Michael Huff the bust safety from Texas.

You live in some kind of weird fantasy world.

You've been watching this shit for a number of years now. Shouldn't you begin to understand pro football by osmosis or something?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-30-2018, 10:20 AM
This is all stupid shit.

Bush DID go to a WC offensive team, the Saints. He won a Super Bowl there. He might not have affected our fortunes at all let alone guarantee SB's!

Thompson would trade Rodgers for Moss so Favre would ride off into the sunset with an SB championship? Favre rode off into the sunset the same year WE won the SB.

Thank God Thompson didn't draft the guy you were ripping him for NOT drafting - Michael Huff the bust safety from Texas.

You live in some kind of weird fantasy world.

You've been watching this shit for a number of years now. Shouldn't you begin to understand pro football by osmosis or something?

The 2007 team had studs like Favre, Jennings, Driver, Taush, Clift on offense. Al Harris, C-Wood, Collins, Kampman, Barnett on defense. Add Moss and Bush and 19-0 would've been feasible.

Freak Out
03-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Except the old gunslinger still probably throws a pick to kill it at the end. Moss and Bush wouldn't stop him from doing it.

hoosier
03-30-2018, 02:13 PM
At that time I said he was benefitting from weak competition. Every time he went one on one with a decent tackle he was stonewalled.

If you recall I predicted he would never have a season as good as Kampman from a sacks perspective and that stands.

I don't recall that. I recall him making some decent tackles, including Damian Woody, Gosder Cherilus, Winston Justice and Colombo, look terrible at times. But locking up with the tackle obviously does not play to Matthews's strengths. He's not Reggie White, after all.

hoosier
03-30-2018, 02:15 PM
One of. His moves are 1) speed rush the edge 2) come from disguised position untouched 3) get stonewalled by good tackle.

Ok. And with the exception of a very few guys who have played his position, you have pretty much described the limitations of all 250 lb. linebackers.

pbmax
03-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Matthews made some good Tackles look bad for a while. But the good and smart ones adjusted. He abused Joe Staley a couple of times, but Staley eventually figured him out and stopped him.

Matthews never developed a strong counter move to go with speed. His shoulder dip when he got an edge was fine but he often ends up on the ground. His bull rush and inside move were not frightening. He didn't have a hump, club or rip that worked regularly.

However, everyone keeps forgetting his motor. In a scouting report, motor usually means unskilled white guy. But in actual pro games, Matthews is still quick, fast and always moving to the ball. He earned a lot of his later career sacks by getting a second opening off his blocker when the QB was forced off their mark. Which is why if Clark or Wilkerson can move the pocket and the QB, Matthews numbers will climb. No tackle will be able to change direction with him.

The flip side of his pursuit and speed is that he can be colossally out of his gap at important times. See his first four games versus CK and the 49ers. His best move recently was providing quickness and penetration in the middle of the D while Perry built a stone wall at OLB versus the run.

Matthews is not bad against the run, but he likes to leave his responsibility and pursue. It works if the other team is predictable, and doesn't work if they are running any kind of option. He did eventually get more careful versus the likes of San Fran, but that came at the expense of his quickness off the ball which is his best trait.

mraynrand
03-31-2018, 12:37 PM
^^ Seems like a swim and an inside spin (from a rip, maybe) with a solid drop step (good post up move, BTW) should have helped. Maybe he stopped developing when Greene left.*

* I reviewed no game film in making these claims. I reserve the right to have this all be called total BS.

pbmax
03-31-2018, 01:40 PM
^^ Seems like a swim and an inside spin (from a rip, maybe) with a solid drop step (good post up move, BTW) should have helped. Maybe he stopped developing when Greene left.*

* I reviewed no game film in making these claims. I reserve the right to have this all be called total BS.

Actually, that is fair, his spin move is not bad, but my first thought is that this has been a more recent development.

And I did think at times that sacrificing him to a Guard/Tackle double team to open lane for a DT or ILB to stunt was fabulously unproductive. The tackle/end twist with him and the DT also rarely seemed to work.

bobblehead
04-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Ok. And with the exception of a very few guys who have played his position, you have pretty much described the limitations of all 250 lb. linebackers.

This doesn't diffuse my point. He is a very good player with many strengths. He is not an elite pass rusher. Von Miller is smaller and better. Wake is similar size and better. Aldon Smith was entirely better. There at any time were 5-10 BETTER OLB in the league than clay...especially from a pass rush perspective, but he was top 3 as and ILB....alas stubby misuses talent all the time.

bobblehead
04-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Actually, that is fair, his spin move is not bad, but my first thought is that this has been a more recent development.

And I did think at times that sacrificing him to a Guard/Tackle double team to open lane for a DT or ILB to stunt was fabulously unproductive. The tackle/end twist with him and the DT also rarely seemed to work.

A spin is fine in must pass situations with a less mobile QB, but for a speed rusher like Clay he needed an inside hand push with a duck under move for OT that overplayed his speed. Sort of a club, but a half club that would allow him to adjust to the inside and exploit the positioning.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Matthews is overrated, injury prone, lacks the ability to cover, misses far to many tackles, and blows his responsibilities to try and make a "me" play, also almost forgot to mention that he is a dirty player.

In the 3-4 Defense and the position Matthews plays the expectation of an above average outside linebacker is to average ten sacks a season. Matthews has had only 4 seasons with double digit sacks, never more than 66 tackles in a season and never more than 9 passes defended and doesn't create turnovers I wish I could find a stat for missed tackles because it appalling. I am not saying he is garbage, what I am saying is there are comparable options out there for way less than 12 million.

Kevin Greene was a great player, Matthews is no Kevin Greene.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2018, 11:54 AM
A spin is fine in must pass situations with a less mobile QB, but for a speed rusher like Clay he needed an inside hand push with a duck under move for OT that overplayed his speed. Sort of a club, but a half club that would allow him to adjust to the inside and exploit the positioning.
Matthews is horrible at using his hands.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2018, 12:00 PM
This doesn't diffuse my point. He is a very good player with many strengths. He is not an elite pass rusher. Von Miller is smaller and better. Wake is similar size and better. Aldon Smith was entirely better. There at any time were 5-10 BETTER OLB in the league than clay...especially from a pass rush perspective, but he was top 3 as and ILB....alas stubby misuses talent all the time.

He was not a top 3 inside linebacker. He has no instincts and would fuck the defense many times as he would try to go underneath blocks and make the tackle. This exposes the defense. If an ilb does this he needs to make the play 100% of the time. He didn't have the body to take on blocks from interior linemen or the technique so he cheated by cutting underneath.

Fan don't recognize this, what they see is every fifth time he does it and and makes a tackle for 2 yard loss and they claim he is a better inside linebacker than outside.

mraynrand
04-01-2018, 12:13 PM
He was not a top 3 inside linebacker. He has no instincts and would fuck the defense many times as he would try to go underneath blocks and make the tackle. This exposes the defense. If an ilb does this he needs to make the play 100% of the time. He didn't have the body to take on blocks from interior linemen or the technique so he cheated by cutting underneath.

Fan don't recognize this, what they see is every fifth time he does it and and makes a tackle for 2 yard loss and they claim he is a better inside linebacker than outside.

You and a handful of enlightened fans see this so what do you think the coaches see? You think they don't know this is what he does? Or do they know and compensate? I seem to recall other players covering gaps he'd vacate, but that's just an impression. I'd have to re-watch the games and It's too much work being that it's the heart of bowling season and I have to keep up with all that.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2018, 12:28 PM
He moved to the inside because of lack of production and injury. He then managed to miss two of the last three games and hard,y played the last game of 2015. If he was so damn dynamic at inside I am sure the coaches would have kept him there, but he wasnt exactly good enough, he got beat up, and he cost too much to play inside. Coaches see this, Matthews is obviously a fan favorite so it doesn't do any good to make negative comments to the media.

Now for Matthews to be productive he needs to be moved around. He should line up in the middle to blitz and to threaten a blitz. He is the best pass rusher the Packers have at the moment, other teams still need to account for him, but they don't have to commit more than one blocker in his direction any more.

mraynrand
04-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Now for Matthews to be productive he needs to be moved around. He should line up in the middle to blitz and to threaten a blitz. He is the best pass rusher the Packers have at the moment, other teams still need to account for him, but they don't have to commit more than one blocker in his direction any more.

I've been arguing for several years that they need to craft a "W" position for him, much like Woodson from the line up to covering most TEs. He can still play quick and fast in short bursts. I think his stamina is lacking just from pure age. Maybe he can crank up the PEDs between urinating for the NFL.

pbmax
04-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Matthews is overrated, injury prone, lacks the ability to cover, misses far to many tackles, and blows his responsibilities to try and make a "me" play, also almost forgot to mention that he is a dirty player.

In the 3-4 Defense and the position Matthews plays the expectation of an above average outside linebacker is to average ten sacks a season. Matthews has had only 4 seasons with double digit sacks, never more than 66 tackles in a season and never more than 9 passes defended and doesn't create turnovers I wish I could find a stat for missed tackles because it appalling. I am not saying he is garbage, what I am saying is there are comparable options out there for way less than 12 million.

Kevin Greene was a great player, Matthews is no Kevin Greene.

In a 3-4 defense the OLB getting 66 tackles is pretty par for the course. His tackling is not noticeably bad but always looking for TFL's does get you beat occasionally with cutbacks and backside blocks. He can be WAY over aggressive.

His coverage is OK, he does not do man coverage much but he is good in zone and can close. His instincts there, like inside, is to commit too early. He's the Alpha to the Omega of the Packer ILBs. Martinez seems the most natural, even more than Bishop. I would not be surprised to get Pro Bowl year out of him after his year 2 improvements though I don't know what Pettine expects from his ILBs now.

Green was a pass rush monster for 10+ years. Matthews is not that.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2018, 07:01 PM
He got 66 tackles playing in the middle in 2015. Piss poor

If he doesn't get tackles, and he isn't a pass rushing monster and he has s just ok in coverage why the hell does he make 12 mill?

pbmax
04-01-2018, 07:02 PM
He moved to the inside because of lack of production and injury. He then managed to miss two of the last three games and hard,y played the last game of 2015. If he was so damn dynamic at inside I am sure the coaches would have kept him there, but he wasnt exactly good enough, he got beat up, and he cost too much to play inside. Coaches see this, Matthews is obviously a fan favorite so it doesn't do any good to make negative comments to the media.

Matthews is not a fan favorite. He gets a lot of flak for his sack totals and games missed. All the Packer media are stunned at his poor reception among fans. That's probably angry male Twitter fans, he likely is more popular among mothers and kids.

Like you, they think he is tailor made to be a fan hero. But he is not. I honestly think Matthews would win a poll of who to ship out due to contract problem among himself, Nelson and Cobb.

Deputy Nutz
04-05-2018, 03:24 PM
I am currently on vacation. I will update the mock in a few days. Really waiting on some trades that might or might not happen

Smidgeon
04-05-2018, 05:23 PM
I am currently on vacation. I will update the mock in a few days. Really waiting on some trades that might or might not happen

What trades are you anticipating?

The Shadow
04-05-2018, 05:58 PM
I really hope Gute does not go crazy with the trading up & down stuff to show fans he's all that.

KYPack
04-05-2018, 11:06 PM

The Bengals have made a trade at the start of the draft season.

They got an established OT, but OL is still a possibility.

Another player that Cincy is looking at is Leighton Vander Esch OLB.

Minor points, but I know you put a lot into this and might influence your mock.

mraynrand
04-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Another player that Cincy is looking at is Leighton Vander Esch OLB.

What does his rap sheet look like? If you want to be a Bengal it helps to have some good thug cred.