PDA

View Full Version : jordan matthews

Tony Oday
03-22-2018, 05:44 PM
This could be a real quality signing for the Pack.

HarveyWallbangers
03-22-2018, 05:50 PM
I agree. I'd like to see them get it done. I'm a Matthews fan. He can't take the top off the defense like Jordy before his knee injury, but he gives you a lot of the other stuff the Jordy did. He's good in the locker room and he's versatile (he can play outside and he can play as a big slot).

www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2018/03/22/packers-bringing-free-agent-wr-jordan-matthews-visit/451258002/

Joemailman
03-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Git 'er done Gutey!

run pMc
03-22-2018, 05:59 PM
I agree. I'd like to see them get it done. I'm a Matthews fan. He can't take the top off the defense like Jordy before his knee injury, but he gives you a lot of the other stuff the Jordy did. He's good in the locker room and he's versatile (he can play outside and he can play as a big slot).

www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2018/03/22/packers-bringing-free-agent-wr-jordan-matthews-visit/451258002/

Yeah, I'd be happy with this if the money was right. OK speed, runs decent routes, and IIRC he's related to Jerry Rice. :P

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad BP
6 ft 3 in 212 lb 4.46 s 1.55 s 2.61 s 4.18 s 6.95 s 35.5 in 10 ft 0 in 21 reps
(1.91 m) (96 kg)

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Bottom line to me is we don't really need another WR. Matthews is not particularly fast. He had a fairly good season two years ago, then dropped off significantly last year. Anybody is gonna be better with Aaron Rodgers throwing. However, signing and presumably paying fairly big money for a mid range receiver should not be a priority.

red
03-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Bottom line to me is we don't really need another WR. Matthews is not particularly fast. He had a fairly good season two years ago, then dropped off significantly last year. Anybody is gonna be better with Aaron Rodgers throwing. However, signing and presumably paying fairly big money for a mid range receiver should not be a priority.

we do need more WR's , and he had many injuries last year

and he's still only 25, and actually ran a faster 40 then jordy

and at 6'3, he would give us a lot of tall targets, that has to help in the redzone

ND72
03-22-2018, 06:48 PM
we do need more WR's , and he had many injuries last year

and he's still only 25, and actually ran a faster 40 then jordy

and at 6'3, he would give us a lot of tall targets, that has to help in the redzone

What he said.

Tony Oday
03-22-2018, 07:38 PM

He was hurt all last year with a chipped sternum I think it was.

Pugger
03-22-2018, 08:04 PM
If he is healthy and comes at the right price, why not?

George Cumby
03-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Why bother? TT always knows how to pick up sleeper WR’s in the mid-rounds.

Oh. Never mind........

Freak Out
03-22-2018, 08:37 PM
I'm down.

pbmax
03-22-2018, 09:12 PM
Like this one, dependent somewhat on cost.

There is no player more made to be a Packer than someone who broke part of their sternum during a season.

call_me_ishmael
03-22-2018, 09:27 PM
Can I ask a question here? Why is Terrell Pryor not being looked at by the Pack? He seems like a uniquely talented person.

Then again, I thought Braxton Miller would be the best receiver out of the 2016 draft and he's done basically nothing, though admittedly he has had garbage QBs outside of a short stretch with the Clemson fella.

pbmax
03-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Pryor is going to the Jets.

mraynrand
03-22-2018, 09:46 PM
chipped sternum

first time I've heard of this injury

Bretsky
03-22-2018, 11:34 PM
We seem short a quality WR now so to me this would be a stellar signing that gives us more flexibility come draft day.

Tony Oday
03-23-2018, 07:04 AM
first time I've heard of this injury

Also thumb, knee and ankle. He was hurt a lot last year but only missed 2 games in the previous three years.

ND72
03-23-2018, 07:09 AM
We seem short a quality WR now so to me this would be a stellar signing that gives us more flexibility come draft day.

Which is what FA is supposed to help with...we just aren't used to it.

run pMc
03-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Cobb's in his last year and Adams has had a couple of concussions. Try to predict what the WR depth will look like 1-2 seasons from now. Does it scare Mike Zimmer?

They definitely need to start sorting out their WR situation. Maybe the light will go on for Davis or Allison, and maybe they will get something out of Yancey or Micheal Clark, but that's a lot of maybes.

Deputy Nutz
03-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Is he white? He has to be white so Packer fan has someone to love.

Bretsky
03-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Which is what FA is supposed to help with...we just aren't used to it.

My whole system is in SHOCK with all this GB action in free agency

We signed somebody day 1

Curious...when is the last time that occurred ?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-23-2018, 11:51 AM
My whole system is in SHOCK with all this GB action in free agency

We signed somebody day 1

Curious...when is the last time that occurred ?

Sherman era. Joe Johnson.

Say what you want about Ole Joe, but he did look good when he wasn't wounded. Problem was, he was wounded too much.

Carolina_Packer
03-23-2018, 12:32 PM
My Father-in-Law is a Vandy grad and football season ticket holder, so I got to see Jordan play several times during his time at Vandy, when they had James Franklin as a coach and had consecutive 9 win seasons, which was huge for them. He was a stud. I recall being very impressed with his route running and hands. If he has some good luck with health and has time to work with a QB like Aaron, watch out.

Check out this list: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/top-25-sec-wide-receivers-of-all-time/ Note the company he keeps on all-time SEC lists. He's legit. Now, I don't know if he's healthy, but that's another question, as well as the dollars he's seeking, but if it all lines up, good signing.

run pMc
03-23-2018, 12:41 PM

Say what you want about Ole Joe, but he did look good when he wasn't wounded. Problem was, he was wounded too much.

Ah Sherman. OK coach, bad GM. Pretty bad at drafting (a looong list including BJ Sander, Ahmad Carroll, James Lee...), along with Cletidus Hunt and Joe Johnson were not his finer moments, to say nothing of punting on 4th and 1 with 2 minutes left and Ahman Green wearing down the Iggles in the 4th and 26 game.

woodbuck27
03-23-2018, 12:53 PM
My Father-in-Law is a Vandy grad and football season ticket holder, so I got to see Jordan play several times during his time at Vandy, when they had James Franklin as a coach and had consecutive 9 win seasons, which was huge for them. He was a stud. I recall being very impressed with his route running and hands. If he has some good luck with health and has time to work with a QB like Aaron, watch out.

Check out this list: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/top-25-sec-wide-receivers-of-all-time/ Note the company he keeps on all-time SEC lists. He's legit. Now, I don't know if he's healthy, but that's another question, as well as the dollars he's seeking, but if it all lines up, good signing.

Thanks for that info.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-23-2018, 01:07 PM

I'm president of the Jeff Janis Aryan League (JJAL). Just as the White Panther Party wasn't racist, neither is the JJAL. :smk:

Hopefully, Gutekunst re-signs Janis. Everyone love Janis, except Zool.

Btw, I don't like Janis b/c he's white. I like him cos he's fast and awesome on Madden.

Zool
03-23-2018, 02:00 PM
I'm president of the Jeff Janis Aryan League (JJAL). Just as the White Panther Party wasn't racist, neither is the JJAL. :smk:

Btw, I don't like Janis b/c he's white. I like him cos he's fast and awesome on Madden.

I'm hardly the only one who thinks Janice is what he is.

mraynrand
03-23-2018, 02:02 PM
I'm hardly the only one who thinks Janice is what he is.

We Reach

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/66/ca/7a/66ca7af445e04440fee982af1fa1847a--brother-oh-ho.jpg

smuggler
03-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Ah yes. He can join his whiteness himself, Donald Driver, in the ranks of beloved WRs here.

Get real. Any player that produces is going to be loved unless they're scum of the earth off the field.

gbgary
03-23-2018, 07:11 PM
left without a contract.

pbmax
03-23-2018, 07:41 PM

He must have looked good while standing on the LOS. 2 sacks in 11 games before he got the ax. He never played again.

Never trust people, I mean players, over 30.

George Cumby
03-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Ah yes. He can join his whiteness himself, Donald Driver, in the ranks of beloved WRs here.

Get real. Any player that produces is going to be loved unless they're scum of the earth off the field.

Mossy Cade, anyone?

woodbuck27
03-24-2018, 06:03 AM
left without a contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9420/jordan-matthews

" ...The Packers are still looking to add a body at receiver after releasing Jordy Nelson. Recovering from knee and ankle operations, 25-year-old Matthews has made just one other visit to date. It's possible he's still not far along enough in his recovery to merit contract offers. ..." Mar 22 - 6:30 PM

Anti-Polar Bear
03-24-2018, 09:04 AM
He must have looked good while standing on the LOS. 2 sacks in 11 games before he got the ax. He never played again.

Sacks don't always tell the whole story. When Johnson was on the field, he had a penchant for pressuring the QB into getting rid of the rock prematurely. Alas, Ole Joe's haplessness ended his career in the Green and Gold prematurely.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-24-2018, 09:07 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9420/jordan-matthews

" ...The Packers are still looking to add a body at receiver after releasing Jordy Nelson. Recovering from knee and ankle operations, 25-year-old Matthews has made just one other visit to date. It's possible he's still not far along enough in his recovery to merit contract offers. ..." Mar 22 - 6:30 PM

Gute is waiting for the Cowboys to release Dez. :pack:

Guiness
03-24-2018, 10:40 AM

11 games in 2 years gives a little more context to that statement.

All-pro in 2000, played 16 games in 2001 then the wheels fell off when he relocated north of interstate 10

pbmax
03-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Sacks don't always tell the whole story. When Johnson was on the field, he had a penchant for pressuring the QB into getting rid of the rock prematurely. Alas, Ole Joe's haplessness ended his career in the Green and Gold prematurely.

Oh c'mon. He was terrible. Completely washed up.

texaspackerbacker
03-24-2018, 02:41 PM

Yeah, that old blind squirrel, Zool, may have actually got something right. I think respect for Janis doesn't extend too far in this forum anyway beyond me and you. For the record, I don't just like him b/c he's white either hahahahaha. Every time the guy has gotten the opportunity, he has played damn good - well, almost every time. He's gonna be a quality starting WR in the NFL somewhere - mark my words, and it will be a damn shame if it is for somebody other than the Packers. At this point, I'm about 70/30 sure that you and I are gonna be disappointed on this one.

ThunderDan
03-24-2018, 07:47 PM

Except you gave the same reason saying Clarke sucked because he didn’t have the numbers.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Yeah, that old blind squirrel, Zool, may have actually got something right. I think respect for Janis doesn't extend too far in this forum anyway beyond me and you. For the record, I don't just like him b/c he's white either hahahahaha. Every time the guy has gotten the opportunity, he has played damn good - well, almost every time. He's gonna be a quality starting WR in the NFL somewhere - mark my words, and it will be a damn shame if it is for somebody other than the Packers. At this point, I'm about 70/30 sure that you and I are gonna be disappointed on this one.

I don't get the hate for Janis. When he's on the field, he makes plays. Plus, he's an excellent gunner. Pack gotta re-sign the dude.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Except you gave the same reason saying Clarke sucked because he didn’t have the numbers.

That was Wist. I said Clark was invisible as a rook, which he was. Rarely played and when he did, he didn't do anything. Any fat guy off the streets of Baltimore could've done what Clark did as a rook. Clark has improved, but time will tell if he's for real or not.

I'm still against drafting fat guys in the 1st round.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Oh c'mon. He was terrible. Completely washed up.

Put your Sherman bias aside, and you'll see that Johnson was in fact a bona fide DE without the hapless injuries. :)

Bretsky
03-25-2018, 12:02 PM
That was Wist. I said Clark was invisible as a rook, which he was. Rarely played and when he did, he didn't do anything. Any fat guy off the streets of Baltimore could've done what Clark did as a rook. Clark has improved, but time will tell if he's for real or not.

I'm still against drafting fat guys in the 1st round.

Clark is not a fat guy; and he showed a ton of promise in the second half of year one. To be honest he showed more promise than most of TT's 1st round picks early on.

He's the real deal

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2018, 01:01 PM
I don't get the hate for Janis. When he's on the field, he makes plays. Plus, he's an excellent gunner. Pack gotta re-sign the dude.

Hell Yeah! And USE him as a WR - at least 3rd or 4th.

Bretsky
03-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Hell Yeah! And USE him as a WR - at least 3rd or 4th.

Janis makes mental mistakes and does not run good patterns. He is what he is; a very good special teams player IMO

He's the perfect #6

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2018, 01:11 PM
I'd say he's made a lot more great plays than mental mistakes in the way too limited opportunities he's gotten in games.

Bretsky
03-25-2018, 01:14 PM
I'd say he's made a lot more great plays than mental mistakes in the way too limited opportunities he's gotten in games.

his mental mistakes have resulted in interceptions and big plays that "should" have been as well. We need our WR's to be consistent. If he can't be that we can't put him on the field much.

Fritz
03-25-2018, 03:03 PM
So is Matthews still floating around out there?

Bretsky
03-25-2018, 05:29 PM
So is Matthews still floating around out there?

yup
I'd love to see the signing of Matthews

SavedByGrace
03-26-2018, 09:06 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/44205/mark-murphy-admits-business-trumped-popularity-in-release-of-jordy-nelson

I realize it's over and done, but this article reveals a little snippet that indicates we were really close to getting Allan Robinson. Now we're left with Jordan Matthews...quite the downgrade

HarveyWallbangers
03-26-2018, 09:54 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/44205/mark-murphy-admits-business-trumped-popularity-in-release-of-jordy-nelson

I realize it's over and done, but this article reveals a little snippet that indicates we were really close to getting Allan Robinson. Now we're left with Jordan Matthews...quite the downgrade

Not that much of a downgrade. I'd rather have Matthews for half the price of Robinson's contract. If you take away last year (when both were injured), Matthews has 225 receptions for 2673 yards and 19 TDs and Robinson has 201 receptions for 2841 yards and 22 TDs. Robinson had the one huge year, but that was when Jacksonville was behind 90% of the time and Bortles, Robinson, and Hurns had a lot of garbage time stats. None of them have done much since.

pbmax
03-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Someone should ask McCarthy is his offense is a detriment to acquiring free agents :lol:

Along with the geographical benefits of playing near his hometown of Detroit, Michigan, Robinson's interest in Chicago was heightened by the hiring of new head coach Matt Nagy.

The wide receiver was a fan of Nagy's work as an offensive play-caller in Kansas City. Robinson would have also considered the Chiefs in free agency had Nagy stayed put in the AFC West.

"For me, going into the whole free agency process, Chicago was definitely a team I had my eye on, from the standpoint that they had just hired Coach [Matt] Nagy," Robinson said. "Coach Nagy was a big part of it ... I'm a big fan of his system and his offense."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/sports/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/the-evolution-of-allen-robinson-part-6-the-exit/77-531987454

Tony Oday
03-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Time to call up Dez and see if he wants to win a SB :)

Fritz
03-27-2018, 05:24 AM
Or do they trade for Odell Beckham and his diva ways?

Pugger
03-27-2018, 07:49 AM
left without a contract.

So did Mo Wilkerson.

woodbuck27
03-27-2018, 09:40 AM

NO.

run pMc
03-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Nope. They'd have to give up a couple of high picks for him, and sign him to an extension. He wants $20M/yr. I'd rather they extend Rodgers.
If you don't sign him, you give up your#14 and probably a R3 as well for a one year rental on ODB. If you do, how do you fit Rodgers under the cap?

Too risky, and too expensive for me.

That's a far cry from signing Andre Rison.

gbgary
03-27-2018, 06:00 PM
the obj rumor is nyg wants a player (perry), and a 1st round pick. he's said he wants to be the highest paid player in the league. that's at least elite qb money. even if he'd take good qb money that's $20-25m. that's a major salary dump (cobb & perry), our pick at 14, and a cap killed for the foreseeable with Rodgers contract. it ain't happenin. a one year rental (if he'd play out his last year) for a player and we keep our pick...i'd think about. it would be pretty interesting.

pbmax
03-27-2018, 06:42 PM
He can't be worth that. Gunter nearly covered him.

~with a little help~

Freak Out
03-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Packers need defense more then OBJ.

Fritz
03-27-2018, 07:34 PM
How true that is.

Pugger
03-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Packers need defense more then OBJ.

this

wist43
03-29-2018, 06:57 AM
Don't want any part of OBJ.

Can't stand prima donnas - way too much of a punk. And the cost is prohibitive,

jklowan
04-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Well, mathews is gone... signed with the Pats

Joemailman
04-05-2018, 08:00 PM

That's what I figured when they traded Cooks.

Tony Oday
04-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Wow turned Cooks into a 1st round and signed an arguably better WR, this is why the Pats are playing 3d chess and the rest of the NFL is playing connect 4

pbmax
04-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Wow turned Cooks into a 1st round and signed an arguably better WR, this is why the Pats are playing 3d chess and the rest of the NFL is playing connect 4

They traded a 1st and 3rd to get him (got back a 4th).

Now they get a 1st (23rd pick) and a fourth (gave up a 6th).

Patriots traded 678 pts and got 58 back for a net loss of 620.

Rams gave up 773 and got back 38 for 735 net loss.

Patriots rented Cooks for a year and got the equivalent of (735-620=115) last pick of the third round.

Matthews looks a lot like Cooks at this point in his career.

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Sucks, but Matthews isn't better than Cooks.

woodbuck27
04-05-2018, 09:38 PM

Darn.

KYPack
04-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Always thought Mathews was a solid player. Didn't realize he had 3 surgeries last year. NE must have a great doctor or whatever.

woodbuck27
04-05-2018, 09:42 PM
They traded a 1st and 3rd to get him (got back a 4th).

Now they get a 1st (23rd pick) and a fourth (gave up a 6th).

Patriots traded 678 pts and got 58 back for a net loss of 620.

Rams gave up 773 and got back 38 for 735 net loss.

Patriots rented Cooks for a year and got the equivalent of (735-620=115) last pick of the third round.

Matthews looks a lot like Cooks at this point in his career.

Wow the Math and movement in the NFL.

Bretsky
04-05-2018, 10:14 PM
DAM HOODY GENIUS !!! LOOKING LIKE WE MAY NEED TO DRAFT A WR

gbgary
04-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Ridley...and they better move up to get him. he'll be the #1 for the next 8 years. in the meantime they need to do something about the D and stop F'ing around!!

woodbuck27
04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Ridley...and they better move up to get him. he'll be the #1 for the next 8 years. in the meantime they need to do something about the D and stop F'ing around!!

YUp its the same Ole Same Ole in Green Bay.

You don`t win without the talent.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-06-2018, 11:31 AM

Maxi Da Taxi mocked Ridley for the Pack in the 2nd round. No chance in Hades Ridley's gonna drop that far. But there's a good chance he'll still be around at 14.

Fritz
04-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Always thought Mathews was a solid player. Didn't realize he had 3 surgeries last year. NE must have a great doctor or whatever.

Whoever it is is probably much closer to a "or whatever" than an actual medical doctor.

mraynrand
04-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Whoever it is is probably much closer to a "or whatever" than an actual medical doctor.

u give sports weenie the sadz :cry: :cry:
https://www.rothmaninstitute.com/images/stories/flexicontent/l_deluca.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Ahd7O8z_BE.jpg

red
04-06-2018, 04:44 PM

And this really sucks cause there’s about 10 defensive players, 1 really good guard and some OTs that I would live to take at 14. But, since we basically only have 1 real WR on the team in Adams, 1 empty uniform in Cobb, and who knows what we have in Monty, and now the bungling of free agency, we almost have to spend that pick on a wr

bobblehead
04-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Janis makes mental mistakes and does not run good patterns. He is what he is; a very good special teams player IMO

He's the perfect #6

McCarthy loves to say that about guys he won't let on the field. Said it about Bishop and he turned into the best ILB that MM has coached to date.

Maybe Janis blows, maybe not, but I think a good HC would have found a way to use that talent.

mraynrand
04-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Maybe Janis blows, maybe not, but I think a good HC would have found a way to use that talent.

Well, if he blows, then no HC will 'use that talent' And while we're on the subject, They did use the talent - on ST. It's amazing to me how much is wasted on debating the obviously astonishing talents at the bottom of the roster. Other than the receiver who had a few catches for MN (Charles something) has any bottom feeder gone on to some amazing Pro Bowl status with another team. Even players like Guy and Zombo were just meh with the teams they went to. It's not like the Packers need them back.

George Cumby
04-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Rand, you are such a sheeple, lemming, koole-aid drinking Homer.

Clearly TT didn’t know how to build a roster. Clearly M3 can’t develop the little talent provided to him.

Only the sagacious football whizzes on this forum can discern the real talents on the roster. That’s why they are posting here and not making real football decisions and getting paid to do it.

Fritz
04-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Someone here will mention Hyde and Hayward, I am sure. My own opinion is that they weren't good enough to re-sign in Green Bay. I loved Hyde's attitude and effort, and Hayward's, too, but they both always seemed to be a step and a half behind the wide receiver. Hayward had that great rookie year, then got hurt and was "meh." Hyde - nice backuppy guy, maybe he should've been moved to safety, I don't know, but as a slot corner or a corner he was always a step behind.

mraynrand
04-07-2018, 11:11 AM

we all have our sins to bear

Joemailman
04-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Someone here will mention Hyde and Hayward, I am sure. My own opinion is that they weren't good enough to re-sign in Green Bay. I loved Hyde's attitude and effort, and Hayward's, too, but they both always seemed to be a step and a half behind the wide receiver. Hayward had that great rookie year, then got hurt and was "meh." Hyde - nice backuppy guy, maybe he should've been moved to safety, I don't know, but as a slot corner or a corner he was always a step behind.

And both made Pro Bowls after they left. Which I think points to the failure of Capers in recent years to find ways to utilize his talent. We may see the same thing with Randall. This is why I'm fairly optimistic about what Pettine will be able to do. I think there is more talent here than you what have thought from Capers' results. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Rollins have something of a recovery under Pettine. And you won't see HHCD lining up so deep that he's not in a position to make plays.

George Cumby
04-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Agree on Capers’ deficiencies.

mraynrand
04-07-2018, 12:15 PM
And both made Pro Bowls after they left. Which I think points to the failure of Capers in recent years to find ways to utilize his talent. We may see the same thing with Randall. This is why I'm fairly optimistic about what Pettine will be able to do. I think there is more talent here than you what have thought from Capers' results. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Rollins have something of a recovery under Pettine. And you won't see HHCD lining up so deep that he's not in a position to make plays.

You may be right, and I'm certainly hoping you are, but to remind: Hayward was hurt and missed a lot of time. He only started 20 games over four season, and played hurt a lot. He was let go in 2015 and Shields was lost for good first game 2016. So there was an expensive plan in place for that corner spot, but it got upended. You can't pay everyone, and you can't pay a backup/insurance policy starter money.

Hyde is a smart slow corner. If you watch the Buffalo games, he benefited from some pass rush. Good player, not great. Would be better than some options the Packers were left with after injuries and attitude problems. But he also only started only 33 games in 4 years and with Buffalo had 2 more INTs (5) in 2017 starting 16 games for Buffalo versus 3 INTs starting 11 for GB in 2016. Virtually no difference there.

pbmax
04-07-2018, 02:14 PM

I tend to agree with this which is why, in hindsight, getting Pettine two years earlier (or having McCarthy force Thompson/Capers to figure it out) would have been better.

pbmax
04-07-2018, 02:19 PM
You may be right, and I'm certainly hoping you are, but to remind: Hayward was hurt and missed a lot of time. He only started 20 games over four season, and played hurt a lot. He was let go in 2015 and Shields was lost for good first game 2016. So there was an expensive plan in place for that corner spot, but it got upended. You can't pay everyone, and you can't pay a backup/insurance policy starter money.

Hyde is a smart slow corner. If you watch the Buffalo games, he benefited from some pass rush. Good player, not great. Would be better than some options the Packers were left with after injuries and attitude problems. But he also only started only 33 games in 4 years and with Buffalo had 2 more INTs (5) in 2017 starting 16 games for Buffalo versus 3 INTs starting 11 for GB in 2016. Virtually no difference there.

I miss Hyde, but not as much as Hayward, even if Hayward was an easier call because of his very mixed health/performance history.

To pay Hyde as a starting safety would be a bit much when he clearly had Burnett and Dix in front of him. Now if you decide to trade Burnett then I get it. Or if Dix was really just a flash in the pan, OK. But the rookies of Hayward is the one that haunts me.

I think in situations like these, maybe shipping the vet out (like Sitton but with less acrimony) is the way to go. However, its 2 of the rare cases that Thompson let someone go and they got better elsewhere. There is a possibility that he and Capers were off here, but not by as much as just two players make it seem.

red
04-07-2018, 05:41 PM
i'm kinda pissed that he came here and left, then he just kinda dangled in the wind for a couple weeks until another offer came along

did we even offer him a contract? or is this more of the old same TT type of bullshit where we say, well heres our offer, see ya later, bye now

red
04-07-2018, 05:47 PM
I miss Hyde, but not as much as Hayward, even if Hayward was an easier call because of his very mixed health/performance history.

To pay Hyde as a starting safety would be a bit much when he clearly had Burnett and Dix in front of him. Now if you decide to trade Burnett then I get it. Or if Dix was really just a flash in the pan, OK. But the rookies of Hayward is the one that haunts me.

I think in situations like these, maybe shipping the vet out (like Sitton but with less acrimony) is the way to go. However, its 2 of the rare cases that Thompson let someone go and they got better elsewhere. There is a possibility that he and Capers were off here, but not by as much as just two players make it seem.

i think the problem and the frustration come from the fact that our seconday has been pathetic for a long time (and thats putting it nicely), meanwhile the guys we let walk turn out to be stars

its a whole collection of buttfuckery that leads to situations like that

its one thing if our secondary was always good, and we let guys go because we actually have decent players ahead of them on the team, its another to let players go when you have a pile of shit left around

this is a whole team failure, its TT for drafting shit and not being able to evaluate his own talent, its capers fault for having no clue how to use his own talent, its fat mikes fault for "knowing players were being played in the wrong position", and dickhead keeping his hero capers around for about 5 years too long, and its murphys fault for letting the whole shit show go on this long. if fat mike won't get rid of the problem, then he is just as much of a problem. and why was TT kept around so long when he wasn't drafting the talent the team needed, and when it became obvious that he could no longer mentally and physically do the job?

we really should have cleaned house, this team has really been mismanaged for a few years now, top to bottom

red
04-07-2018, 05:57 PM
nice little write up on graham, FYI, it might have been written by a high schooler

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/NFL-executive-says-Jimmy-Graham-is-just-a-red-zone-target-117023330

"All Jimmy is now is a red zone target," the exec said. "They are saying, 'OK, when we get to the red zone, we are just going to have our quarterback throw the fade ball up to Jimmy Graham and let him go get it.' Jimmy is best at that, but outside the red zone, he just doesn't run routes hard anymore. You get a veteran guy who has had injuries and he really only wants to play when it is touchdown time."

Fritz
04-08-2018, 07:35 AM
I don't know, really, who is to blame. You can blame TT, but he drafted Hyde and Hayward, and when both were allowed to walk there wasn't too too much bitching by anyone here. Hyde was slow and Hayward hurt and slow after that first year. So was it Capers' fault for not utilizing them? BabyMike's for letting Capers misuse them? Ted's for not re-signing them despite one being out-of-position and the other hurt often enough that his performance fell off?

I don't know. I do think that Pettine will help. I tend to think that there was enough talent for that defense to play better than it did, despite the injuries. Dom's defenses historically start out well then fade. So I think the change will help now.

Let's see what Gutty can bring in, talent-wise. As far as the promised big sea change in approach to FA, it doesn't seem to have produced results much different from Ted's approach. Martellus Bennett, Kendricks, etc.

pbmax
04-08-2018, 09:29 AM
i think the problem and the frustration come from the fact that our seconday has been pathetic for a long time (and thats putting it nicely), meanwhile the guys we let walk turn out to be stars

its a whole collection of buttfuckery that leads to situations like that

its one thing if our secondary was always good, and we let guys go because we actually have decent players ahead of them on the team, its another to let players go when you have a pile of shit left around

this is a whole team failure, its TT for drafting shit and not being able to evaluate his own talent, its capers fault for having no clue how to use his own talent, its fat mikes fault for "knowing players were being played in the wrong position", and dickhead keeping his hero capers around for about 5 years too long, and its murphys fault for letting the whole shit show go on this long. if fat mike won't get rid of the problem, then he is just as much of a problem. and why was TT kept around so long when he wasn't drafting the talent the team needed, and when it became obvious that he could no longer mentally and physically do the job?

we really should have cleaned house, this team has really been mismanaged for a few years now, top to bottom

The coaches have to make some things work with less than top line talent at times. The search for ILB is ongoing. The need for pass rush, especially the last two years. The search to replace Collins at safety.

Drafting later, eventually you a the player (Dix, Martinez) because of luck or they fall to you, but it doesn't happen overnight. Same with CBs since Shields.

There has been talent back there but it doesn't seem to make a difference when its here. Some of that is injuries (Hayward) but I think some of it is scheme. The blitzing isn't fooling anyone and they did not have the talent to play man coverage for 5 seconds. Most attempts to play zone were comical.

However, I think Thompson has some blind spots. He subscribes to the short cornerbacks are a problem. Could he have found the magical mystery press coverage corner if he was OK with 5' 9" guys? Sure, you lose some jump balls, but man coverage for 4-5 seconds would help the pass rush.

And McCarthy never said: "I don't f*****g care, finding 6' corners who play press man isn't working! Teach them the play zone or draft differently. But no one eats till we make a decision!"

woodbuck27
04-08-2018, 12:53 PM

Clearly TT didn’t know how to build a roster. Clearly M3 can’t develop the little talent provided to him.

Only the sagacious football whizzes on this forum can discern the real talents on the roster. That’s why they are posting here and not making real football decisions and getting paid to do it.

That USA sarcasm says sweet 'F' all.

I can assure you in my 12 Years on this Forum there have been extremely competent analysts here.

I can assure you there are as big of brains here as you've ever seen on Packer Brass over the past decade and a half.

I'm positive that I could choose 5-6 Packerrats and see the Packers run far better than we have over the TT and MM Era which is frankly to me disappointing. Anything less that winning is second best of an NFL Final Conference Finalist. My personal standards are very high and I back myself up.

You give the likes of Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy way too much credit.

George Cumby
04-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Well Woody, your hypothesis is ultimately untestable so you are very safe making it.

I grant you I am probably the least football savvy poster on this board. I know fuck all about X’s and O’s. I don’t watch college football so I know dick about the draft. I know as much about the salary cap as I do about higher calculus, which is nothing. My understanding of the inner workings of a professional level sports organisation is limited at best. The interpersonal dynamics at 1265 are opaque to me, as they should be.

All that being said, I am aware of my legion short comings, ignorance and overall lack of competence in regards to running a professional sports franchise.

I respectfully suggest you do an internet search on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

You may be right, you and a select few on this board may be capable of running the Packers better than those in charge.

But I doubt it.

mraynrand
04-08-2018, 03:20 PM

No need to search far and wide, that info is right next door:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30364-A-Neuroscientist-Explains-What-Could-Be-Wrong-with-Trump-Supporters%92-Brains

mraynrand
04-08-2018, 03:23 PM

I respectfully suggest you could learn more about Packerrats by doing an internet search on the Freddy-Krueger effect. (i.e. super horrible things/ideas somehow never die, cannot be killed, and follow you into your nightmares)

George Cumby
04-08-2018, 03:24 PM
^ lol.

X2

woodbuck27
04-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Well Woody, your hypothesis is ultimately untestable so you are very safe making it.

I grant you I am probably the least football savvy poster on this board. I know fuck all about X’s and O’s. I don’t watch college football so I know dick about the draft. I know as much about the salary cap as I do about higher calculus, which is nothing. My understanding of the inner workings of a professional level sports organisation is limited at best. The interpersonal dynamics at 1265 are opaque to me, as they should be.

All that being said, I am aware of my legion short comings, ignorance and overall lack of competence in regards to running a professional sports franchise.

You may be right, you and a select few on this board may be capable of running the Packers better than those in charge.

But I doubt it.

I don't and I'm serious too.

To compete you have to have the strength to do so and that means have the talent available on any Team to ever imagine winning. It's not Rocket Science it's commonsense and matching need by simply acquiring the necessary talent and after that you need motivation and coaching. You need a solid Team attitude and morale.

Haven't you ever coached or played at a Championship Level?

You cannot win 'the Horse Race' with the slowest horse in the field. Right now the Packers Horse is too slow. So far this Season there has been little done to correct that problem. The facts and reality and Packers is that it's too much needing to be done in one Season but every single move has to be orchestrated with a minimum of risk of failure.

George Cumby
04-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Ok Knute.

So let’s roll with this. Which poster fits which role? I got Water Boy figured out all by myself.

President:
General Manager:
Salary Cap guy:
Director professional personnel:
Director college personnel:
Head Coach:
Offensive Coordinator:
Defensive Coordinator:
Water Boy: George Cumby

mraynrand
04-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Patler could effectively navigate several jobs, but his best skill is "Salary Cap Guy"

mraynrand
04-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Whatever you do, don't let Wist near Defensive Coordinator. Maybe Nutz. KY could be O-coor, but he's really a line coach at heart.

KYPack
04-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Ok Knute.

So let’s roll with this. Which poster fits which role? I got Water Boy figured out all by myself.

President:
General Manager:
Salary Cap guy:
Director professional personnel:
Director college personnel:
Head Coach:
Offensive Coordinator:
Defensive Coordinator:
Water Boy: George Cumby

Keep this one going boys.

Could be a classic thread.

Joemailman
04-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Can Red be head coach so I can call him Fat Red?

Maxie the Taxi
04-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Put Tex in charge of inflating the game balls.

Bretsky
04-08-2018, 09:21 PM
One reason to make Red Head coach is so the GM could fire him and re hire Mike Mccarthy

Anybody who has seen Red play FF knows ya can't let him near GM..lol..

red
04-08-2018, 09:28 PM
oh fuck the both of you

i'm more of a barely functioning drunk, or staring off into space with a blank look on my face when i'm stoned type of person

so thats more like TT, so GM?

pbmax
04-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Red will quit before the end of the quarter of his first game after he fails to have the team emotionally ready to play and falls behind 7-0.

mraynrand
04-08-2018, 10:34 PM
I'm OK with Red as GM. I want to be that equipment guy who was there forever who was the only person left who would talk to Favre.

red
04-09-2018, 10:18 PM
this just in

jordan mathews signed a one year deal worth just over the vet minimum, 1 million dollar salary with 700k in incentives

so what the hell did we offer if anything?

Joemailman
04-09-2018, 10:52 PM
this just in

jordan mathews signed a one year deal worth just over the vet minimum, 1 million dollar salary with 700k in incentives

http://www.freetastesgood.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/applebees.jpg

woodbuck27
04-10-2018, 04:00 AM
https://lombardiave.com/2018/04/09/packers-offenses-biggest-weakness/

Packers haven’t addressed offense’s biggest weakness

The Green Bay Packers still possess the league’s slowest group of wide receivers. This was a problem that began to manifest three seasons ago, and hasn’t improved at all since.

By Evan Siegel12 hours ago

disappointing in recent years has been the offense’s inability to strike fear into opposing defenses, despite Aaron Rodgers‘ greatness.

Mike McCarthy has a small share of blame when it comes to the offense’s poor play. McCarthy is known to have the simplest scheme in the NFL and has done a poor job of adapting to the league’s quicker defenses.

The team will NOT be in a position to add a speedster at WR in this year’s draft either. Because of the countless deficiencies on the roster, Brian Gutekunst will have to prioritize other positions before making a game-changing move at wide receiver.

The Packers will have to draft a cornerback early.

They will also have to draft a capable edge rusher to help improve the team’s non-existent pass rush.

The Packers will need an offensive tackle

The Packers also need depth at tight end, and a linebacker with some NFL quality speed.

Comment woodbuck27:

In review the Packers need to Draft at DB and to improve the Pass Rush. They have 4 Picks at NO. 14;45;76 and 101 or basically 4 Prospects to get things to a lot better of the TOP 100 Prospects on their DRAFT BOARD, Clearly that has to be their Focus.

This must be a lot better Draft than Ted Thompson et All wa able to supply.

This is going to be just YEAR NO. 1 on what should be a Three Year Plan to look like a legitimate NFC Champion.

The last 3-4 Seasons TT and MM (Dom Capers) and crew have allowed the PACKER Roster's Top Quality and Depth to fly to blazes. Basically they failed to keep pace with the growing standard of the NFL and Roster quality. The proof of that was clearly in evidence last Season. Take Aaron Rodgers away and the Green Bay Packers are a bottom Tier NFL Team.To imagine anything else is clear nonsense

Thankfully Ted Thompson was replaced. Dom Capers is history They got it partially corrected. Mike McCarthy has to be placed under notice or Packer Nation will not see another Super Bowl appearance with Aaron Rodgers under Center.

woodbuck27
04-10-2018, 04:09 AM
this just in

Once a real strength now the Packer WR Group frankly sucks. Opposing Team Defenses are thinking Packers and their once potent Offense is not so much anymore. The Packer OL better be terrific and protect Aaron Rodgers.

The Packer BRASS better not have a habit of biting their nails.

So far this Off Season it's been DUD ! Thuud !

THe Packer BRASS just cannot seem to do much else but 'spin their wheels'.

woodbuck27
04-10-2018, 04:37 AM
President: woodbuck27 and essox Because Two really smart Heads are better than one. You can't run shit by us like MM has for too many years..

General Manager: pbmax .... MAX 'works for me'. I want him to get the BEST Scouting Personnel on the Planet. Hands on Packers 24-7. Focus = Upgrading THe Roster. Read everything he can find available of the Bill Belichick Method. Cheating is optional.

Salary Cap guy: red .... Get him a large Calculator. Give him all the Pizza and Canadian Beer and Irish Whiskey he desires.

Director professional personnel: Bretsky ...He has to let go of Coaching School, age kids. Ensure his wife gets Exotique Vacations Yearly.

Director college personnel: Harvey wallbangers...Everyone knows he's the very best Judge of College Talent...Vs Risk. Move the whole Family to Green Bay. Free Movie Tickets all Year long.

Head Coach: KYPack[ ... and No Days Off ! Stay away from the Casinos, Ponies and * REALLY Hot Babes ! * [Why !? Look at the damage that did to Bretsky !

Offensive Coordinator: It's J and J... Joemailman and Justin Harrell REASON : See President. Take care of Aaron Rodger and Business. Stay focused on Offense wist43 has the 'D' covered.

Defensive Coordinator: Deputy Nutz AND wist43 ...REASON : See President .....Why CO - DC and wist43? Easy ... because wist43 deserves it after finally getting RID of DOM CAPERS ...

Gheessh ! ! It took MM way too long; didn't he read wist43's Memo's? !

woodbuck27
04-10-2018, 07:28 AM
this just in

I'm watching this FA now. S / LBer Eric Reid

" Free agent S Eric Reid will visit the Bengals. Reid is one of the market's top remaining players, but this will be his first visit. "

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8453/eric-reid

If the Packers had signed WR Jordan Matthews and S Eric Reid as well that would have taken a lot of HEAT off their now more vital need of success and THE DRAFT; and hitting on contributors in this Season (and at two of their biggest Position needs).

I really don't get how they think!? The Green Bay Packers have huge need at DB and WR.

mraynrand
04-10-2018, 07:36 AM
So now Jordan Mathews, the million dollar man, is the linchpin that would have turned the Packer offense into a dynamo? lol

Zool
04-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Can Red be head coach so I can call him Fat Red?

Could you then order a Fat Red FatHead?

gbgary
04-10-2018, 10:04 AM
nice little write up on graham, FYI, it might have been written by a high schooler

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/NFL-executive-says-Jimmy-Graham-is-just-a-red-zone-target-117023330

this is why a stud #2 wr is needed so bad (or a #1 if you think adams is really a #2). allison ain't it. not impressed with gute so far. to this point neither the O nor the D have improved.

Upnorth
04-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Can I fill the role of fan who lurks and barely contributes.

On second thought maybe I should be dB coach

Anti-Polar Bear
04-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Patler could effectively navigate several jobs, but his best skill is "Salary Cap Guy"

Patler lacks the competency to cook the cap. I once debunked Patler with flawless math, much to the disgust of the Kentucky, after Patler proclaimed that it was 100% impossible for the Packers to match Carolina's offer for Mike Wahle.

Cooking the cap is an essential job duty of the cap guy. A perfect job for Partial.

mraynrand
04-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Patler lacks the competency to cook the cap. I once debunked Patler with flawless math, much to the disgust of the Kentucky, after Patler proclaimed that it was 100% impossible for the Packers to match Carolina's offer for Mike Wahle.

Cooking the cap is an essential job duty of the cap guy. A perfect job for Partial.

you seem dishonest

woodbuck27
04-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Can I fill the role of fan who lurks and barely contributes.

On second thought maybe I should be dB coach

Thanks for the generous offer.

The Packer BRASS will be in touch with you as soon as we obtain DB's to coach.

SudsMcBucky
08-01-2018, 02:41 PM
This could be a real quality signing for the Pack.

And...........he's already released by the Pats.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2018, 02:46 PM
He's damaged goods, and we have more good WRs than we can keep already anyway.

gbgary
08-01-2018, 07:03 PM
they put him on ir for a hammy. geesh.

Joemailman
08-02-2018, 02:37 PM
they put him on ir for a hammy. geesh.

And signed Eric Decker.

Rutnstrut
08-02-2018, 04:54 PM
And signed Eric Decker.

Good fit imo, decker is still pretty good.

mraynrand
08-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Good fit imo, decker is still pretty good.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=OIP.vfgBp3yEhh99kKJ1P9zCggHaFj&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=145&h=108

Rutnstrut
08-02-2018, 09:06 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=OIP.vfgBp3yEhh99kKJ1P9zCggHaFj&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=145&h=108

?

pbmax
08-03-2018, 12:34 PM
?

Google Commodore Decker.

mraynrand
08-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Google Commodore Decker.

https://thetrektrek.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/450px-decker_vger.jpg

gbgary
08-04-2018, 06:01 PM
#deckerunit