PDA

View Full Version : DRAFT DAY WISHES FOR ROUND ONE PICK 14

Bretsky
03-27-2018, 11:28 PM
List the guys you'd LOVE to see slip a bit to pick 14 and GB grabs......and list the guys you are OK with.

I think it's an absolute given the following players will be gone by the time we pick

1 Josh Rosen
2 Sam Darnold
3 Josh Allen
4 Saquon Barkley
5 Denzel Ward
6,Bradley Chubb
7. Quentin Nelson
8 Baker Mayfield

Those are 8 are probably gone ...AND...Lamar Jackson could go before we pick

GUYS i'D LOVE AT PICK 14....SOME OR ALL COULD BE GONE

Tremaine Edmunds-----OLB- Potential superstar here.....probably gone though
Roquan Smith-----------ILB- Hammer and Toughness GB really needs...and a leader
Derwin James -----------S- Big Athletic Crushing Safety who can rush and play all over

GUYS I'D BE OK WITH AT PICK 14 as Backup Plans to above 4

Mike Hughes-------------CB- Really like this guy; incredible talent....outside CB....but from a small school........that is the only reason he's a slight step behind the above 3
Harold Landry......OLB...I knew he has some PR love already; but I'm not as sold on him as the above 4.
Minkah Fitzpatrick....S...but can move around and play different positions

WHAT SAY YOU RATS ????????????//

Who are your dream picks....and the ones you'd be ok with........and feel free to bash on any of the guys I noted or views stated

HarveyWallbangers
03-28-2018, 02:32 AM
I'd be shocked if Edmunds and James don't round out the top 10.

Zool
03-28-2018, 08:13 AM
I was going to bash the Mayfield pick until I realized that GMs all shoot their load trying for a QB if they don't have one. I just think that guy is too much flash and got away with some pretty unsound (UNSOUND) play in college because of the competition.

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2018, 09:16 AM
If one of the top defensive backs or edge rushers is not their at 14 and some of the coveted QBs are still on the board I think the Packers could make some noise trading back.

Fitzpatrick, James, or Ward. I struggle to see how either of those guys will be there at 14, unless their is huge run on offensive players.

Tony Oday
03-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Trade down 3-6 spots and pick up more picks.

The Shadow
03-28-2018, 10:51 AM
I think that Leighton Vander Esch is just the player the D needs. I'd rather we build strength in the middle first (against run AND pass) and then work our way out to the edges.

wist43
03-28-2018, 11:18 AM
I think that Leighton Vander Esch is just the player the D needs. I'd rather we build strength in the middle first (against run AND pass) and then work our way out to the edges.

I like Van Der Each, but he has some warts, namely taking on blocks, shedding, and playing thru the trash. In space he's very good, but inside, in the trash, he needs a lot of coaching. He instinctually takes on blockers with his shoulder instead of keeping his head up and using his hands to create seperation and shed the block.

Surely he's been coached up on this, but to date he still does it.

He's a good player though, and has very good tools. I'd be okay with him if we trade back.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-28-2018, 12:26 PM
What's with the talks about trading down? Packers already have a million picks. If there's a season to trade up, this one is it.

Personally, I'd take Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama, at 14. Then fix the wormholes on defense with the rest of the picks - Trade back into the 1st round if a hotshot corner or a guy like Davenport is still around in the 20's.

gbgary
03-28-2018, 01:07 PM
What's with the talks about trading down? Packers already have a million picks. If there's a season to trade up, this one is it.

Personally, I'd take Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama, at 14. Then fix the wormholes on defense with the rest of the picks - Trade back into the 1st round if a hotshot corner or a guy like Davenport is still around in the 20's.

this!! they need a stud cb, wr, olb. a no-brainer pick. no trading down. if need be, they have to move up. if someone falls to them fine. it depends if the run at qb occurs as predicted.

SavedByGrace
03-28-2018, 01:48 PM

I'm beginning to buy into the Ridley pick more and more. I'd love to see Ward or James to help on D, but quite honestly, our explosive offense is what has made us so good in the past. We have Adams, who is obviously our #1 receiver (and well-deserved). Then we have Cobb (he hasn't been particularly effective for years now). Then Allison...Allison? C'mon. Graham will be a better #3 than Allison, and potentially a better #2 than Cobb. We are one injury away from having a seriously lacking offense, and if Rodgers goes down again, a catastrophic one.
Talent will be there in the later rounds to help fill our D. I tend to think that, since Gutey is a disciple of TT, that he'll do something none of us expects i.e. drafting a WR or something like that

jklowan
03-28-2018, 02:30 PM
this!! they need a stud cb, wr, olb. a no-brainer pick. no trading down. if need be, they have to move up. if someone falls to them fine. it depends if the run at qb occurs as predicted.

Because the talent we need will be gone by our pick and the next level will be there lower in the draft

I like the CB-Oliver but 14 is to high and maybe trading down 6 slots allows us to trade back into the 2nd and pick up say the edge rusher Sweat and a top 3 tight end, we need alot of pieces and trading down might be the best move if say the top 2 or 3 on our board are gone at 14. think we trade down the more mocks I see.

Zool
03-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Trade down 3-6 spots and pick up more picks.

To add to the 12?

run pMc
03-28-2018, 04:42 PM
It's more likely they package picks in the mid/late rounds to move up. A R4 and a R5 to get a low R3 or higher R4, for example.
I could see them flipping picks 14->15 or even 16 if there's a QB like Allen sitting there and a team calls... but trading down requires two parties, and a pretty good feeling the player they want will be available.

Plus, how often do we expect them to draft within the top half of R1 with Rodgers at QB?

Joemailman
03-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Starting to see some mocks with Packers taking Minkah Fitzpatrick. I would have thought he'd be gone. Draft Analyst still has him #5 overall. It would be a nice surprise if he was available.

pbmax
03-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Whatever they do, they better not trade up. WAY too expensive in Top 10.

All teams overvalue their draft picks these days in draft trades. They spend the rest of the year treating them like pennies.

But for the draft itself its crazy expensive to move in the first round.

bobblehead
03-28-2018, 05:59 PM
I'm glad that we got 14 in a draft deep on QBs and a franchise RB. I think should Fitzpatrick or James be available at 8-10 we should light up the phones and see if we can make something happen.

We need help in defensive backfield. There simply is no edge rusher with talent on par with those 2 in this draft, but their flexibility could change a defense.

Teamcheez1
03-28-2018, 08:26 PM
I'm glad that we got 14 in a draft deep on QBs and a franchise RB. I think should Fitzpatrick or James be available at 8-10 we should light up the phones and see if we can make something happen.

We need help in defensive backfield. There simply is no edge rusher with talent on par with those 2 in this draft, but their flexibility could change a defense.

I think it's more likely we trade down, than trade up. We have way too many holes to fill.

call_me_ishmael
03-28-2018, 08:29 PM
I have a strange feeling they are going to end up taking Calvin Ridley, and he will be a good player.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-29-2018, 11:42 AM
I'm beginning to buy into the Ridley pick more and more. I'd love to see Ward or James to help on D, but quite honestly, our explosive offense is what has made us so good in the past. We have Adams, who is obviously our #1 receiver (and well-deserved). Then we have Cobb (he hasn't been particularly effective for years now). Then Allison...Allison? C'mon. Graham will be a better #3 than Allison, and potentially a better #2 than Cobb. We are one injury away from having a seriously lacking offense, and if Rodgers goes down again, a catastrophic one.
Talent will be there in the later rounds to help fill our D. I tend to think that, since Gutey is a disciple of TT, that he'll do something none of us expects i.e. drafting a WR or something like that

Well said, although I don't think Adams is a legitimate #1 WR. He's more of a 2. Adams is also a concussion or two away from retirement, so a guy like Ridley would make a great insurance, no to mention, an eventual #1 WR.

I still believe in Cobb, but this could be his final season in the Green and Gold. It was fun when the receiver depth featured the likes of Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Driver and Jones. Right now Packers have Adams, Cobb and a bunch of guttersnipes.

Gotta draft Ridley.

SavedByGrace
03-29-2018, 12:23 PM
@Anti-Polar Bear
I totally agree that Adams probably isn't a legit #1. He's OUR #1 by default, though, and he's not bad. I think he is going to get better (fingers crossed). I don't think Cobb is back next year, unless he has just an unbelievable year, and there's nothing that makes me think he will.

Ridley is becoming more and more realistic, but I'd really like to see the Pack get a guy like Julio Jones...a guy that can go up in the crowd and finish after the catch. I like Equanimeous St. Brown from Notre Dame. 6'5", 4.5 speed, athletic, smooth, big target. It'd also be nice to see them get a guy like Edelman (Cobb could be that guy) but they just need to get him the ball. DJ Moore from Maryland is a guy like that too. Ridley is the most talented, but they might not be willing to spend that high a pick on Ridley when defense has such a glaring need. St. Brown and Moore can be had much later. Either way, there is no doubt, in my mind, that the offense needs pretty close to as much attention as our D.

Also, if the Pack is going to draft a receiver, I want them to get a good route runner. I think we have had guys that have relied too much on Rodgers and are not good route runners. Time to fix and get guys that can actually get open so Rodgers can throw it to them.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-29-2018, 12:48 PM
@Anti-Polar Bear
I totally agree that Adams probably isn't a legit #1. He's OUR #1 by default, though, and he's not bad. I think he is going to get better (fingers crossed). I don't think Cobb is back next year, unless he has just an unbelievable year, and there's nothing that makes me think he will.

Ridley is becoming more and more realistic, but I'd really like to see the Pack get a guy like Julio Jones...a guy that can go up in the crowd and finish after the catch. I like Equanimeous St. Brown from Notre Dame. 6'5", 4.5 speed, athletic, smooth, big target. It'd also be nice to see them get a guy like Edelman (Cobb could be that guy) but they just need to get him the ball. DJ Moore from Maryland is a guy like that too. Ridley is the most talented, but they might not be willing to spend that high a pick on Ridley when defense has such a glaring need. St. Brown and Moore can be had much later. Either way, there is no doubt, in my mind, that the offense needs pretty close to as much attention as our D.

Also, if the Pack is going to draft a receiver, I want them to get a good route runner. I think we have had guys that have relied too much on Rodgers and are not good route runners. Time to fix and get guys that can actually get open so Rodgers can throw it to them.

A good route runner is always nice. Jennings, Jones and Nelson were all excellent route runners. A good route runner with speed is even better. Ridley seems to be that guy.

gbgary
03-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Whatever they do, they better not trade up. WAY too expensive in Top 10.

All teams overvalue their draft picks these days in draft trades. They spend the rest of the year treating them like pennies.

But for the draft itself its crazy expensive to move in the first round.

it is but if you can get your man you do it. there's a formula/chart they all use to figure deals. Packers have some draft capital.

bobblehead
03-30-2018, 09:56 AM

Normally I would agree, but we won't have another pick in the top 20 for awhile unless Rodgers is hurt again. This is an opportunity I would like to capitalize on.

Bretsky
03-30-2018, 05:36 PM
I wonder if I like Mike Hughes better than the norm; he seems like an outside CB with all the tools

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2018, 07:55 PM
Hughes is 5'10" 189. Don't expect him in Green Bay.

mraynrand
03-31-2018, 12:13 AM

Are you certain the old CB rules are still in force?

Fritz
03-31-2018, 09:32 AM
His name is too boring.

woodbuck27
03-31-2018, 11:58 AM

Yes the OLD TT diluted Draft isn't the answer now. The Packers need to Re-Build with REAL quality shots.

A Key to NO. 14 and is depended on the QB run and the early Picks. Funny that, as not a lot of the Experts are NOT high on this QB Class; so expect the unexpected or NO QB RUN.

Plan accordingly as in know exactly what your Pre Draft Strategy is. That means setting your Draft Board up as well as you possibly can.

woodbuck27
03-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Normally I would agree, but we won't have another pick in the top 20 for awhile unless Rodgers is hurt again. This is an opportunity I would like to capitalize on.

Unless Rodgers is hurt?

Trust me this Packer Roster we have right now is weak.

pbmax
03-31-2018, 01:38 PM
His name is too boring.

We must make room for at least one at a time.

Al Harris
Mike McKenzie
Doug Evans

All were good cornerbacks and fantastic series regulars as neighbors to the Bunker family.

Bretsky
03-31-2018, 02:18 PM

my bad....I actually thought he measured at 5 11" so he'd make the tape measure barely

woodbuck27
03-31-2018, 03:21 PM
my bad....I actually thought he measured at 5 11" so he'd make the tape measure barely

That Prospect can sure play football. He's exciting on film.

What are his measurables? http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/mike-hughes?id=2560065

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oJybcJ9Z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENkxYeASiw

wist43
03-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Hughes is a character risk... for him and Holton Hill it all depends on how they come across in team interviews and how each team feels about them as a person.

KYPack
03-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Yes the OLD TT diluted Draft isn't the answer now. The Packers need to Re-Build with REAL quality shots.

A Key to NO. 14 and is depended on the QB run and the early Picks. Funny that, as not a lot of the Experts are NOT high on this QB Class; so expect the unexpected or NO QB RUN.

Plan accordingly as in know exactly what your Pre Draft Strategy is. That means setting your Draft Board up as well as you possibly can.

I actually hope for the QB run. A long as we ain't in it.

A QB run may mean we get a shot at a top pass rusher or star CB.

BZnDallas
04-01-2018, 12:38 AM
I actually hope for the QB run. A long as we ain't in it.

A QB run may mean we get a shot at a top pass rusher or star CB.

Unfortunately I think GB is just out of reach. I think its possible for a QB run to happen and miss out on the pass rush and CB talent. That's why I agree with the idea that this may be the year to trade up. I hope with this latest notion that GB isn't trading up, that its a smoke screen and is really the plan. GB hasn't had a selection this high in years, and we don't plan on having one this high again for some time either. Trade up and get the generational talent if you can. And I'd prefer to not use future '19 picks. Try to keep it to the 12 we have now. With a QB run, we should be able to get a guy in the 8-10 range. Maybe 11-12 if we can add some fat uglies, OL, going early too.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm straddling the fence, but if we're not able to trade up. Then I'd be ok with trading down, staying in the late first and maybe try to trade back up into the late first and get two really good players that could help even if they aren't the 'generational' type.

pbmax
04-01-2018, 07:56 AM
To get to Pick #8, Pack would need to trade their 3rd and 4th round picks:

8th pick = 1400 trade value chart points

14th pick (1100-1st round), #76 (201-3rdR) and #101 (96-4thR)

That's a lot of value and if the team at #8 doesn't have multiple suitors. And its the Bears.

pbmax
04-01-2018, 08:01 AM
Oh, what the hell. Let the speculation begin.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/03/15/green-bay-packers-full-list-of-2018-nfl-draft-picks/
1st round | 14th overall
2nd round | 45th overall
3rd round | 76th overall
4th round | 101st overall (from CLE)
4th round | 133rd overall (compensatory)
5th round | 138th overall (from CLE)
5th round | 172nd overall (compensatory)
5th round | 174th overall (compensatory)
6th round | 186th overall
6th round | 207th overall (compensatory)
7th round | 232nd overall
7th round | 239th overall (from BUF)

Draft Pick Trade Value Evaluator
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

ESPN Trade Value Chart
https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php#pickvalues

pbmax
04-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Alternate calculators:

Draft pick value by Approximate Value: http://www.footballperspective.com/draft-pick-value-calculator/

Same format by for Jimmy Johnson: http://www.footballperspective.com/jimmy-johnson-draft-pick-value-calculator/

BONUS: Why trading up is STILL a bad idea: http://advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/research/draft/242-the-value-of-each-draft-pick-a-re-examination-of-massey-thaler-surplus-value-under-the-new-cba

pbmax
04-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Brian Burke at Advanced Football Analytics used to have one but it seems to have been lost:

http://advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/research/draft/246-new-feature-draft-trade-evaluator

Pugger
04-01-2018, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately I think GB is just out of reach. I think its possible for a QB run to happen and miss out on the pass rush and CB talent. That's why I agree with the idea that this may be the year to trade up. I hope with this latest notion that GB isn't trading up, that its a smoke screen and is really the plan. GB hasn't had a selection this high in years, and we don't plan on having one this high again for some time either. Trade up and get the generational talent if you can. And I'd prefer to not use future '19 picks. Try to keep it to the 12 we have now. With a QB run, we should be able to get a guy in the 8-10 range. Maybe 11-12 if we can add some fat uglies, OL, going early too.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm straddling the fence, but if we're not able to trade up. Then I'd be ok with trading down, staying in the late first and maybe try to trade back up into the late first and get two really good players that could help even if they aren't the 'generational' type.

In every draft there is at least one GM/Owner who will reach big time and take a player none of the "experts" saw as worthy of taking in the upper half of the draft. So if this happens along with a run on these QBs we might get lucky and a real gem "falls" to us.

pbmax
04-01-2018, 09:00 AM
In every draft there is at least one GM/Owner who will reach big time and take a player none of the "experts" saw as worthy of taking in the upper half of the draft. So if this happens along with a run on these QBs we might get lucky and a real gem "falls" to us.

You have to have that happen, but also realize someone else is going to jump up to 10 and threaten to take one of your picks.

You cannot fall in love with a player at the top of the draft either.

Bretsky
04-01-2018, 10:15 AM
To get to Pick #8, Pack would need to trade their 3rd and 4th round picks:

8th pick = 1400 trade value chart points

14th pick (1100-1st round), #76 (201-3rdR) and #101 (96-4thR)

That's a lot of value and if the team at #8 doesn't have multiple suitors. And its the Bears.

BEST CASE.............ALL OF THE QB's go ahead of us, Chubb, a RB, OL, and DL (that Vita Vea dude)

Then odds are a stud falls that's names Smith, James, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, or Ward falls to us

WORSE CASE...........WHAT IS COST OF MOVING UP TWO TO THREE SPOTS ????

Maxie the Taxi
04-01-2018, 06:55 PM
I like to think out of the box.

14: R1P14
WR D.J. MOORE
MARYLAND

45: R2P13
WR CALVIN RIDLEY
ALABAMA

76: R3P12
EDGE LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA

101: R4P1
EDGE DORANCE ARMSTRONG JR.
KANSAS

133: R4P33
EDGE DUKE EJIOFOR
WAKE FOREST

138: R5P1
CB ISAAC YIADOM
BOSTON COLLEGE

172: R5P35
CB HOLTON HILL
TEXAS

174: R5P37
TE TROY FUMAGALLI
WISCONSIN

186: R6P12
OT BRETT TOTH
ARMY

207: R6P33
S GODWIN IGWEBUIKE
NORTHWESTERN

232: R7P14
CB BRANDON FACYSON
VIRGINIA TECH

239: R7P21
OT GREG SENAT
WAGNER

pbmax
04-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Love Fumagalli in the fifth.

Freak Out
04-01-2018, 07:32 PM
No punters taken?

Maxie the Taxi
04-01-2018, 07:36 PM
No punters taken?Dickson was available in the 7th round.

BZnDallas
04-03-2018, 07:23 AM

I can get behind this Pugger! Unfortunately a lot of those times were us 😳

jklowan
04-03-2018, 10:28 AM
14: CB JOSH JACKSON - IOWA

45:OT BRIAN O'NEIL - PITTSBURGH

76: EDGE ARDEN KEY - LSU

101: S TERRELL EDMUNDS - VIRGINIA TECH

133: TE DALTON SCHULTZ - STANFORD

138: WR DAESEAN HAMILTON - PENN STATE

172: WR J'MON MOORE - MISSOURI

174: LB OREN BURKS - VANDERBILT

186: DL DEADRIN SENAT - SOUTH FLORIDA

207: G TYRONE CROWDER - CLEMSON

232: CB KAMERON KELLY - SAN DIEGO STATE

239: OT GREG SENAT - WAGNER

The Shadow
04-03-2018, 12:05 PM
14: CB JOSH JACKSON - IOWA

45:OT BRIAN O'NEIL - PITTSBURGH

76: EDGE ARDEN KEY - LSU

101: S TERRELL EDMUNDS - VIRGINIA TECH

133: TE DALTON SCHULTZ - STANFORD

138: WR DAESEAN HAMILTON - PENN STATE

172: WR J'MON MOORE - MISSOURI

174: LB OREN BURKS - VANDERBILT

186: DL DEADRIN SENAT - SOUTH FLORIDA

207: G TYRONE CROWDER - CLEMSON

232: CB KAMERON KELLY - SAN DIEGO STATE

239: OT GREG SENAT - WAGNER

I like your #45 a lot.

Fritz
04-04-2018, 09:05 AM
I like your #45 a lot.

You want a slow cornerback at #14? Can't they get that later in the draft?

mraynrand
04-04-2018, 09:26 AM

Packers got an Iowa corner with 4.56 speed in the fifth round. His name was Micah Hyde. #14 better be a physical specimen unavailable later in the draft who can make a significant difference.

pbmax
04-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Maybe the big difference between Pettine and Capers is that Pettine likes converting corners to safeties, rather than every DB to slot cornerback.

jklowan
04-04-2018, 11:01 AM

He ran much faster at his pro day

on another note the PATS might be looking to trade up, I am all for trading down to 23 if we pick up another 2nd or 2 in the swap. The trades we have done with New England always seem to work out in our favor. Looks like Mayfield is how they are interested in.

Fritz
04-04-2018, 11:10 AM
He ran much faster at his pro day

on another note the PATS might be looking to trade up, I am all for trading down to 23 if we pick up another 2nd or 2 in the swap. The trades we have done with New England always seem to work out in our favor. Looks like Mayfield is how they are interested in.

You know, jk, I have been thinking about this a lot lately. My own temperment, generally, is that it's good to trade down and get extra picks unless you have what you think is a superstar dropping into your lap. But the Packers have traded down, and sometimes it works out (Jordy Nelson, maybe Kevin King), and sometimes it doesn't. However, I'm kind of tired of all these maybe-they'll-be-good guys at the end of the first round - the Sherrods and Datone Joneses and Damarious Randalls. Even Nick Perry was one of those guys - a late first rounder who may work out, and he sorta has, but is he a star? They need some "wow" players now. I say if GuttyPunt sees a guy he's convinced is a soon-to-be-star when they get to #8 or 9, trade up and get the guy. Sure, you need some Micah Hydes and some Blake Martinezes, but man, you really need a difference-maker.

jklowan
04-04-2018, 03:17 PM
You know, jk, I have been thinking about this a lot lately. My own temperment, generally, is that it's good to trade down and get extra picks unless you have what you think is a superstar dropping into your lap. But the Packers have traded down, and sometimes it works out (Jordy Nelson, maybe Kevin King), and sometimes it doesn't. However, I'm kind of tired of all these maybe-they'll-be-good guys at the end of the first round - the Sherrods and Datone Joneses and Damarious Randalls. Even Nick Perry was one of those guys - a late first rounder who may work out, and he sorta has, but is he a star? They need some "wow" players now. I say if GuttyPunt sees a guy he's convinced is a soon-to-be-star when they get to #8 or 9, trade up and get the guy. Sure, you need some Micah Hydes and some Blake Martinezes, but man, you really need a difference-maker.

Normally I would agree, but it seems we need Pass Rusher/CB & OL

I think trading down this year could be warranted as there really is no player that stands out unless your at the tip top of the draft. For instance I like Isaiah Oliver (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2185537/isaiah-oliver) out of Colorado, but 14 seems to high to take him as he can be had later. The pass rushers all have question marks so why not drop down and take say Sam Hubbard , Sweat or Arden Key(who I think will drop and may be the best pass rusher in this class), not sure it's a big drop and you potentially address a bunch of holes on our roster. I would love to leave this draft with 4 players in the first 2 rounds. Those players being a CB/Edge/OL/TE, my dream is trading down and coming away with ONEIL/OLIVER/Goedert (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2132551/dallas-goedert)/Key in the 1st 60 picks, ymmv.

Bretsky
04-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Josh Jackson at 14 would not be exciting

jklowan
04-04-2018, 06:20 PM

So that will be the pick then :)

gbgary
04-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Maybe the big difference between Pettine and Capers is that Pettine likes converting corners to safeties, rather than every DB to slot cornerback.

more and more teams are putting their #1s in the slot and creating mismatches. look at julio jones. a pretty good percentage of his targets are from the slot. you'll need quality at that spot too more as time goes on.

pbmax
04-05-2018, 07:06 AM
more and more teams are putting their #1s in the slot and creating mismatches. look at julio jones. a pretty good percentage of his targets are from the slot. you'll need quality at that spot too more as time goes on.

Sure, but its not exactly new. Packers used to do that with Driver then Jennings when they happened upon Jones and Nelson.

Fritz
04-05-2018, 10:57 AM

I have to agree with you there, Bretsky. I'm hoping one of the rock-star defenders, like Chubb, will fall just enough for Gutty to move up and get 'em.

Deputy Nutz
04-05-2018, 03:31 PM
There are 4 guys I would move up from 14to get, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ward, and James. James might be there at 14.

pbmax
04-05-2018, 06:04 PM
We need to start mocking Round 1 soon?

New thread with poll for each pick or the old fashioned way where everyone takes a team?

mraynrand
04-05-2018, 06:07 PM

New thread with poll for each pick or the old fashioned way where everyone takes a team?

That sounds tedious.

Joemailman
04-05-2018, 06:09 PM

New thread with poll for each pick or the old fashioned way where everyone takes a team?We've usually had everyone take a team or teams, with the Packers pick determined by a poll.

Bretsky
04-05-2018, 06:41 PM
There are 4 guys I would move up from 14to get, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ward, and James. James might be there at 14.

If we moved up 2 spot I think James or Fitzpatrick or Ward are there.

Chubb is going way higher

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2018, 07:45 PM
If we moved up 2 spot I think James or Fitzpatrick or Ward are there.

Chubb is going way higher

I think Ward and James will go top 10 easily. I think Fitzpatrick has the best chance of falling. The guys in the draft that I think are the most can't miss are Barkley, Ward, James, Edmunds, and Chubb. If one of those guys falls to #10, I think they would be worth trading up for.

Isaiah Oliver would be my wish in round 2, Michael Gallup in round 3, and Austin Corbett or Joseph Noteboom in the middle rounds. I doubt some of those guys are going to fall as far as they are projected.

Smidgeon
04-05-2018, 09:05 PM
The way I see it, these starting positions have major holes on the roster and don't have an already-on-the-team solution:

WR2 (Cobb early in the year, but he isn't an outside receiver)
CB2
SS (maybe Jones shows better in year 2 than he did during his rookie season)

In the draft, like everyone, I want to see an impact position even if it doesn't fill a position of need. But how do you solve these positions if the draft does not supply talent?

Run Cobb outside all year moving inside when Allison comes in as WR3?
Put Josh Jones at the other safety spot and live with the growing pains?
Barter with Father Time for the soul of Tramontana?

pbmax
04-05-2018, 09:31 PM
We've usually had everyone take a team or teams, with the Packers pick determined by a poll.

OK, what are you waiting for? :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2018, 09:33 PM
I'm good with Jones and Brice at S opposite Burnett. Jones has crazy talent. Let him play. Took Sharper and Collins a few years to become studs. I have no idea why Brice didn't get drafted, but I still think he has a bright future.

Need CB, OLB, WR, OL, TE with our 8 picks in the first 5 round (doubling up at a couple of those positions)

red
04-07-2018, 12:58 PM
list of guys i wouldn't mind taking at #14

not in order

tremain edmunds
landry
chubb (not a chance he's there)
davenport
roquan smith
denzel ward
josh jackson
quenton nelson (can't miss guard from ND)
connor williams- OT
mike mcglinchey- OT
calvin ridley
courtland sutton

like i said in the other thread, by releasing jordy and keeping a next to worthless cobb, and not signing anyone else (jordan mathews). that leaves us with adams (who had 2 too many concussions last season), and maybe monty if he can make the switch back. we almost have to draft at least 1 stud in round one, and maybe another in round 2 or 3. and we have to do that just in order to make our offense functional. this team goes nowhere without a-rod and a nice group of recievers. so fixing the D, or finding better o-line talent might just have to wait another year

pbmax
04-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Still more worried about DBs. If pass rush falls to 14, great. If they can trade up to 10 for value on the dollar, OK.

But taking an OLB just to take one without special pass rush skills is a fools' errand.

Offense will find a way.

Maxie the Taxi
04-07-2018, 02:21 PM
like i said in the other thread, by releasing jordy and keeping a next to worthless cobb, and not signing anyone else (jordan mathews). that leaves us with adams (who had 2 too many concussions last season), and maybe monty if he can make the switch back. we almost have to draft at least 1 stud in round one, and maybe another in round 2 or 3. IMO, the way things stand now, we must draft a starting-quality WR in Round 1 and, like you say, another top quality WR talent later. Fortunately or unfortunately, in GB our best defense is a great offense, and that means Arod and the pass game. As you point out, we have no quality depth at WR after Adams and maybe Cobb. No defensive player within our reach at #14 will impact our chances to win more than, say, Ridley and/or Moore. Ridley and/or Moore would be good for at least a TD per game. Which individual defensive draftee within our reach could you say that about?

denverYooper
04-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Still more worried about DBs. If pass rush falls to 14, great. If they can trade up to 10 for value on the dollar, OK.

But taking an OLB just to take one without special pass rush skills is a fools' errand.

Offense will find a way.

I feel pretty good about the trio of Monty/Jones/Williams + Graham, Adams, and Cobb.

mraynrand
04-07-2018, 02:50 PM
I feel pretty good about the trio of Monty/Jones/Williams + Graham, Adams, and Cobb.

Not to mention this is the year Davis breaks out. And Geronimo is a pretty decent #4 receiver, when he isn't fumbling away the season.

Joemailman
04-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Jimmy Graham is as much an oversized WR as he is a TE. A lot of teams have worse than Adams/Graham/Cobb. I also suspect that getting Cobb closer to the player he was in 2014 will be a major goal of McCarthy and Philbin as they revamp the passing offense. The bigger question is who will they have at the true TE position other than Kendricks.

red
04-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Jimmy Graham is as much an oversized WR as he is a TE. A lot of teams have worse than Adams/Graham/Cobb. I also suspect that getting Cobb closer to the player he was in 2014 will be a major goal of McCarthy and Philbin as they revamp the passing offense. The bigger question is who will they have at the true TE position other than Kendricks.

one of those guys is gonna miss multiple games due to a concussion (i'm about 90% sure), one of those guys is a receiving TE which our HC has about as muck clue how to use in the receiving game as seattle did, and the other guy has showed up for maybe 2 games in the last 3 or 4 seasons

i agree with others that CB is a massive need for our team, so is pass rush, so is middle LB for the 50th season in a row, so is finding a RT that can actually stay healthy. but this team is a sub .500 team if a-rod and the passing game aren't in top notch form

Fritz
04-08-2018, 07:38 AM

Offense will find a way.

Gutty, trade up and give us all a Chubby!!

If you could add a guy who would instantly be a threat, that would free up Matthews and/or Perry as well, and suddenly, if you take a CB in the third round and again in the fourth, you've got enough bodies to at least be the usual half-step behind that Packer corners are, but the QB has a lot less time to find those guys.

pbmax
04-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Gutty, trade up and give us all a Chubby!!

If you could add a guy who would instantly be a threat, that would free up Matthews and/or Perry as well, and suddenly, if you take a CB in the third round and again in the fourth, you've got enough bodies to at least be the usual half-step behind that Packer corners are, but the QB has a lot less time to find those guys.

Just know, that QB and pass rush trade ups are the two most common mistakes in the first round.

Have to admit though, it would be very exciting. But time tells us even Chubb has a 50% chance of being a disappointment.

red
04-08-2018, 11:09 AM
aaron curry #4 overall 2009, the "safest pick in the 2009 draft (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/130376-meet-aaron-curry-the-safest-pick-in-the-draft)", lasted just over 4 seasons. 5.5 career sacks

vernon gholston #6 overall 2008. jets thougt he was the perfect 3-4 OLB. lasted just 3 season in the nfl, never recorded a sack

dion jordan #3 overall 2013. "He is an athletic freak who combines explosive speed with amazing athletic ability (He is an athletic freak who combines explosive speed with amazing athletic ability Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013djordan.php#ixzz5C67SoamP Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013djordan.php#FB3cR586wlGHIxL2.99)". basically has played one season since being drafted, he has 2 career sacks

woodbuck27
04-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Just know, that QB and pass rush trade ups are the two most common mistakes in the first round.

Have to admit though, it would be very exciting. But time tells us even Chubb has a 50% chance of being a disappointment.

There's no need and any panic or a move to trade up.

This Season The Packers need football players as 'a Rookie Class' and that means Top Round quality Picks.

Clay Matthews III and Randall Cobb are getting to the end as Green Bay Packers. The Roster needs good fresh blood and quality football players.

Bretsky
04-08-2018, 09:23 PM
I think Ward and James will go top 10 easily. I think Fitzpatrick has the best chance of falling. The guys in the draft that I think are the most can't miss are Barkley, Ward, James, Edmunds, and Chubb. If one of those guys falls to #10, I think they would be worth trading up for.

Isaiah Oliver would be my wish in round 2, Michael Gallup in round 3, and Austin Corbett or Joseph Noteboom in the middle rounds. I doubt some of those guys are going to fall as far as they are projected.

I think there is a slight chance James falls and a change Fitzpatrick falls.

Edmunds the OLB might as well

Fritz
04-09-2018, 08:12 AM

Ah, I just want to be able to pun on the idea of "getting a chubby." It's the twelve-year-old side of me.

Though admittedly I do want a player who will be an immediate impact pass rusher on defense. More than I want a lock-down corner.

pbmax
04-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Ah, I just want to be able to pun on the idea of "getting a chubby." It's the twelve-year-old side of me.

Though admittedly I do want a player who will be an immediate impact pass rusher on defense. More than I want a lock-down corner.

I'm even greedier. I want the pass rush equivalent of Aaron Rodgers in the second round.

I don't think that is too much to ask :)

mraynrand
04-09-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm even greedier. I want the pass rush equivalent of Aaron Rodgers in the second round.

You probably could get a rookie FA who could rush the passer as well as Rodgers.

pbmax
04-09-2018, 10:36 AM
You probably could get a rookie FA who could rush the passer as well as Rodgers.

I think I have seen that horror movie too many times.

Zombo
Zombo II: More Bikinis
Zombo the Reckoning
Zombo the Barbarian
Zombo Unleashed
Zombo Resurrected

woodbuck27
04-10-2018, 06:36 AM
I think there is a slight chance James falls and a change Fitzpatrick falls.

Edmunds the OLB might as well

Have a look:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925097/article/fiveround-mock-draft-saints-trade-up-for-baker-mayfield

Here (*** See LINK below ***) Charlie Casserly gives the Packers a Shot at Safety DERWIN JAMES -Florida St. Then again Charlie Picks C MIKE HUGHES of Central Florida for the Packers NO. 14 overall. I feel we deserved better. Mike Hughes need experience and he has size limitations.

Obviously Casserly is in love with him and if it has to be CB I like CB Josh Jackson fr. Iowa better and with the former Redskins GM having Denzel Ward off his Board to da Bears.

Incidentally In his MOCK, NFL.Com Analyst Chad Reuter has the Packers getting CB Denzel Ward.

*** ... http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts ...***

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/derwin-james?id=32462018-0002-5600-6615-53f9661a6a43

S Derwin James Prospect Grade 6.44

Bretsky
11-25-2018, 01:41 PM
This was interesting to look back on; lots of good views

Roquan Smith is coming on to have a great season for da Bears

call_me_ishmael
11-25-2018, 11:12 PM
The guy I think I wanted was Edmunds, but I am overall happy with Alexander despite his stature. He is going to be a solid or good player.

Fritz
11-26-2018, 05:14 AM
Alexander was a good pick. I wonder if Josh Jackson will become Al Harris or just a taller grabby smurf.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-26-2018, 08:37 AM
A-Rod could use C-Rid right now, especially on 3rd downs.

mraynrand
11-26-2018, 11:19 AM
A-Rod could use C-Rid right now, especially on 3rd downs.

Nah, Rodgers would be flat on his ass watching him running a fruitless 40 yard go route.

pbmax
11-26-2018, 02:58 PM
I want some credit given to Fritz (I will only take a portion) that every year Ted had a defensive need draft he piped in that picks that made sense to the public were always the worst picks Ted made.

In retrospect, Ted should have ignored us and the defense from 2011-2016

Jerel Worthy was the alarm bell.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Nah, Rodgers would be flat on his ass watching him running a fruitless 40 yard go route.

Ridley is Greg Jennings with more speed, and Jennings was the best route runner i’ve ever seen. No way Pack stink up the joint on 3rd downs with C-Rid.

J-Alex has some game, but he ain’t a shutdown corner. Adam Thielen made J-Alex his bitch. And Thielen is pale-skinned.

mraynrand
11-27-2018, 08:29 AM

PBMax's third down twitter source in the other thread pretty much proves this right. At least a significant proportion of problems are coming from marginal line play.

gbgary
11-27-2018, 12:10 PM
if the Packers were playing small-ball the line wouldn't be an issue. they know the right side isn't good enough but continue to run things as usual. that's unforgivable.

pbmax
11-27-2018, 07:08 PM
if the Packers were playing small-ball the line wouldn't be an issue. they know the right side isn't good enough but continue to run things as usual. that's unforgivable.

That is the part that is killing me. Small ball has worked in 3 different games against good defenses. It should appear more often in every game.

Especially against 2 high safeties.

bobblehead
11-27-2018, 11:33 PM
I think it's more likely we trade down, than trade up. We have way too many holes to fill.

Very good prediction. I still like Derwin James a ton, but Alexander is making me be good with picking up an extra first.

bobblehead
11-27-2018, 11:34 PM
Of course when I read that i read it as trade down THEN trade up. still you were right...sort of.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-28-2018, 07:22 AM
Very good prediction. I still like Derwin James a ton, but Alexander is making me be good with picking up an extra first.

Corners that fail to shut down white receivers, especially a white receiver from a minor college program like Minnesota State, are wankers in my book.

J-Alex is a wanker.

Check out Adam Thielen’s recent stats against the Packers. It’s like Randy Fucking Moss is back in purple.

run pMc
11-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Disagree.
Thielen is a Pro Bowl receiver. He makes a lot of CB's look bad. I'm not sure Alexander shadowed him the entire game, so I don't know if you can put all his stats on Alexander. Cousins wasn't under a lot of pressure, so he was able to carve up the D.
Alexander is pretty good for a rookie. That screen to Diggs he blew up by knocking Thielen into Diggs was pretty good.

He's the best of the recent DB draft picks (Alexander, King, Jackson, Randall, Rollins).

mraynrand
11-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Disagree.
Thielen is a Pro Bowl receiver. He makes a lot of CB's look bad. I'm not sure Alexander shadowed him the entire game, so I don't know if you can put all his stats on Alexander. Cousins wasn't under a lot of pressure, so he was able to carve up the D.
Alexander is pretty good for a rookie. That screen to Diggs he blew up by knocking Thielen into Diggs was pretty good.

He's the best of the recent DB draft picks (Alexander, King, Jackson, Randall, Rollins).

I think J'Xander is fantastic. Great pick, great future until he inevitably gets injured again. My fervent hope is that Gutes will keep pulling in picks like this guy. If he does, we'll compete for the Super Bowl in 2020, APRH (which I don't, not really)