PDA

View Full Version : Dead cap money in 2007

Patler
09-09-2006, 04:36 PM
It looks like the roster "cleanup" is about over. As it stands right now from the releases this year, the dead cap money for 2007 stands at less than $900,000. That compares to about $8.2 million this year and around $16 million last year. The biggest hit next year will be Cory Rodgers at about $349,000.

Rastak
09-09-2006, 04:37 PM
It looks like the roster "cleanup" is about over. As it stands right now from the releases this year, the dead cap money for 2007 stands at less than $900,000. That compares to about $8.2 million this year and around $16 million last year. The biggest hit next year will be Cory Rodgers at about $349,000.

I read that C Rogers was the highest pick in this years draft cut....of course TT had a dozen so it's not as big a deal....

GBRulz
09-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, he was. In fact, it was only the first time since 1984 (I think) that the Packers cut a 4th rounder prior to the season.

I read that somewhere a couple weeks ago and posted it someone on here, but don't remember exactly where.

red
09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
wow, thats a nice small number. i was still expecting to have a few million tied up next year

now if we could just take that money and get a damn o-lineman, or freeney

jack's smirking revenge
09-09-2006, 05:21 PM
That's awesome. Supports my thought that 2007 WILL be our year!

tyler

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks Patler.

We're in Great shape for OUR future. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! Packer fan Faith !

red
09-09-2006, 05:25 PM
That's awesome. Supports my thought that 2007 WILL be our year!

tyler

we have to use that money first

i'm not exactly sure we upgraded our team a whole lot considering we had 30-40 million in free cap space. i can see 1 upgrade in woodson over carroll. pickett to me is a wash with grady, and manuel might not be that much better then roman when its all said and done

so for the amount of money we had to spend, we did very little to upgrade a pretty poor team.

where the hell did all our money go?

jack's smirking revenge
09-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Patience. We are one of the youngest teams in the league right now. Patler would probably have to speak to where our money went, but we can resign some players this year to longer contracts knowing that next year's cap is sweet. We can also look forward to lots of activity next year with that much cap.

I think we started with around $30 mil and I think we have around $8 mil left in space. Hawk was front-loaded, from what I understand. Woodson, Pickett and Manuel cost $$$$.

I'm just suggesting, with that much dead cap next year, that things could turn around quickly if the draft and free agency go our way next year. Better than staring at a overloaded cap...

tyler

red
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
actually, hawks deal is set to hit hard next year. i think around 10 million

sure we will have a lot to spend next year, but we had a lot this year and we didn't manage to upgrade all that much, except for woodson

sure we could resign our own players to longer deals, but why? why resign players that made up a horrible team?. why did we resign our own DE to a big contract when he was part of a very pathetic d-line?

i'm fine with resigning driver, because thats about all we had going for us last year. but i would be worried about giving harris a new giant blockbuster deal at his age and after the preseason he just had. and the only other guy i can see thats worthy of getting a new deal would be barnett, but i would wait on him until the end of the year. if hodge proves that he's the real deal at MLB, then barnett and the huge contract he's going to be looking for can go bye bye.

and maybe green if he shows he's back to 100%

and your donnie darko bunny doesn't scare me one bit

Patler
09-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Don't forget Kampman. His contract was frontloaded too. Counts $6 million this year.

Where did the cap space go this year? In millions:

$6.7 - Woodson
$6.0 - Kampman
$5.0 - Pickett
$2.2 - Hawk
$2.0 - Driver's increase
$2.0 - Green
$1.8 - Manuel

I tried to explain at the end of last year that the "cap space" this year was a little bit deceiving, because the Packers had very few players under contract at the end of the season. As I recall they had only something like 34 or 35 under contracts that carried over from 2005. Teams typically will have in the mid to upper 40s. Even at veteran minimum salaries, the Packers effective cap space compared to other teams was about $4 to $5 million less than the $35 million or so that the articles implied. $35 million space with 35 players under contract is about the same as $30 million with 45 players under contract when free agency starts, even just looking at minimum salaries.

jack's smirking revenge
09-09-2006, 07:03 PM

The force is strong with this one... :lol:

tyler

red
09-09-2006, 07:52 PM

The force is strong with this one... :lol:

tyler

its on the sundance channel right now

god damn patler, and your never ending load of info

30 million sure as hell doesn't buy you much talent anymore

just looking at that, we're pissing away 13 million on 2 parts of a d-line thats going to be average to bad IMO this year, and when you add kgb's cap number. we've got 18 million tied up in 3/4ths of our sh'tty d-line.

that sucks, bad

falco
09-09-2006, 07:57 PM
It'd be interesting if TT tried for Freeney next year...I don't see it personally, but who knows what he has in store.

I imagine he will try to build through the draft another year, then go for some big names to put the pieces together.

Not comparing Freeney to Reggie, but it'd be a move in a similar vein.

Kiwon
09-10-2006, 01:56 AM
If Farve is gone after this year won't that add about $10 million to the mix?

mmmdk
09-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah, he was. In fact, it was only the first time since 1984 (I think) that the Packers cut a 4th rounder prior to the season.

I read that somewhere a couple weeks ago and posted it someone on here, but don't remember exactly where.

Shermen would have kept C.Rodgers, I'm 100% sure of that. As Rastak mentioned; it's not a big deal with so many draft picks.

Partial
09-10-2006, 02:24 AM
It'd be interesting if TT tried for Freeney next year...I don't see it personally, but who knows what he has in store.

I imagine he will try to build through the draft another year, then go for some big names to put the pieces together.

Not comparing Freeney to Reggie, but it'd be a move in a similar vein.

It's unfortunate, Indy said they are going to franchise him if they can't work something out.

Bretsky
09-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks Patler; great info. Nice to see the dead weight gone; I'd feel better if I believed TT was going to aggressively use the cap space on next year's starters though.

Have a Great Day !
B

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 08:48 AM
If Favre is gone after this year won't that add about $10 million to the mix?

I don't think he'll add much dead weight next year. His signing bonus is paid off then, isn't it? What other money is written in that could carry over? Doesn't matter, he'll still be under center...

red
09-10-2006, 09:18 AM

I don't think he'll add much dead weight next year. His signing bonus is paid off then, isn't it? What other money is written in that could carry over? Doesn't matter, he'll still be under center...

i think he ment it would add about 10 million in free cap space to the mix

however, once brett retires and rodgers becomes the starter, then rodgers contract has an escalator that would make his cap number jump up

as the cap space we would gain in smaller then it would seem

Patler
09-10-2006, 10:38 AM

however, once brett retires and rodgers becomes the starter, then rodgers contract has an escalator that would make his cap number jump up

Red, didn't we go through the calculations last spring? As I recall, with Rodgers escalator and a million or so for a decent backup to Rodgers, the savings would only be about half of what it first appears.

red
09-10-2006, 10:50 AM

Red, didn't we go through the calculations last spring? As I recall, with Rodgers escalator and a million or so for a decent backup to Rodgers, the savings would only be about half of what it first appears.

yeah it was something like that, i can't remember the exact number, but i want to say it cut the savings almost in half. i know we had all the numbers worked out, so its not just something i pulled out of my ass

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 11:39 AM
But remember, different year, different numbers. Don't get ahead of yourselves, we'll need something to do in February.

KYPack
09-10-2006, 11:40 AM

I figured some of the"sharpies" would answer this one for ya.

It was another brilliant Tom Braatz pick, Rollin Putzier a NT from Oregon, 4th round pick ihn '88. Putzier was what we got from trading Lofton to the Raiders.

I remember Putzier for two things:

1. The glowing article in the JS about what a great player he was gonna be.
2. How shitty he was.