PDA

View Full Version : Bring Dez In

call_me_ishmael
04-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Title says it all. You need a #2. You pay him what you were paying Jordy = significant upgrade. Make it so Gutey.

red
04-13-2018, 12:34 PM
i don't know if you pay him what you were paying jordy, but i agree, bring him in

we need wr help badly

SavedByGrace
04-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Title says it all. You need a #2. You pay him what you were paying Jordy = significant upgrade. Make it so Gutey.

Talent-wise, absolutely YES! Attitude-wise, keep him far, far away! I think the risk would far outweigh the reward. I'd be a little happy if they signed him, but also waiting for that time at any moment for his attitude to screw the team.

texaspackerbacker
04-13-2018, 12:39 PM
I've seen all the Dallas games, and Dez has deteriorated badly over the last several years, and it ain't just attitude. He doesn't get open; He misses too many catchable balls; And he whines when they don't throw to him. I wouldn't want him in Green Bay even for the minimum. Dallas would waste downs throwing to him; They're better off without him, and we absolutely don't need him.

red
04-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Talent-wise, absolutely YES! Attitude-wise, keep him far, far away! I think the risk would far outweigh the reward. I'd be a little happy if they signed him, but also waiting for that time at any moment for his attitude to screw the team.

you gotta wonder if a-rod could keep him in line some. dez was the alpha dog in dallas, or so he thought. a-rod runs this team

Cheesehead Craig
04-13-2018, 12:41 PM
I've seen all the Dallas games, and Dez has deteriorated badly over the last several years, and it ain't just attitude. He doesn't get open; He misses too many catchable balls; And he whines when they don't throw to him. I wouldn't want him in Green Bay even for the minimum. Dallas would waste downs throwing to him; They're better off without him, and we absolutely don't need him.

Agree wholeheartedly.

mraynrand
04-13-2018, 12:42 PM
If he can do crunches while giving interviews then sign him up!

yetisnowman
04-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Even him in "decline" caught 70 balls for 800 plus 6tds last season. And thats with Dak. I wholeheartedly support paying him round 10-12 mil per for one or two years. He will be motivated and he fills the jordy void , and also gives GB more room in the draft to address other needs. He's 3 years younger than Nelson, and I think he's a receiver that suits what Aaron does well.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Sure 4 years 32 million 10 million signing bonus

call_me_ishmael
04-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Sure 4 years 32 million 10 million signing bonus

I would do this in a second but I doubt he will. I think he's looking at one year, maybe two at the most. 1 year, 8M prove it would be my guess.

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 01:14 PM

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/4/13/17156610/cowboys-release-wr-dez-bryant-should-nfl-ravens-pursue-him-adam-schefter-crabtree-brown-willie-snead

Report: Cowboys released WR Dez Bryant, should the Ravens pursue him?

By Logan Levy@realLoganLevy Apr 13, 2018, 12:24pm EDT

That would take some real thinking and strong communication.

Dez Bryant would have to be ready to 'just play' and stuff the DRAMA.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-13-2018, 01:21 PM

Do the Packers even have a #1?

Regardless a depth composing of Dez, Adams, Cobb and Ridley (and Jimmy G) would be awesome.

Yes, sign the dude!

Anti-Polar Bear
04-13-2018, 01:26 PM
That would take some real thinking and strong communication.

Dez Bryant would have to be ready to 'just play' and stuff the DRAMA.

Trust me, there's nothing to do in Green Bay but play football. Dez's an emotional player, but there's no evidence of him ever being a so-called locker room cancer. I think Dez would look good in the Green and Gold.

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 01:37 PM
We do need help at WR for this Season but will the Packer Brass go out and do that for Aaron Rodgers; or treat him the way they did Brett Favre and say " make do with what little you do have"? We all should be aware that right now the WR Position can be described with this word = SLOW.

** Davante Adams isn't a true NO. 1 WR.

** What do we have as 'a Slot receiver' but Randall Cobb in a very possible decline'.

** What's left !? Does that excite you?

The Packer BRASS has a certain mindset and is it bent on winning now or is the 2018 Season one to clear up $the Books$ and assess the future?

A look back and Packers and Wide Receiver History:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/700942-green-bay-packers-titletowns-top-10-wide-receivers-of-all-time

Green Bay Packers: Title Town's Top 10 Wide Receivers of All Time

MAY 19, 2011

red
04-13-2018, 01:38 PM
I would do this in a second but I doubt he will. I think he's looking at one year, maybe two at the most. 1 year, 8M prove it would be my guess.

at 29, i don't think he can afford to do a 1 year deal

this is pretty much his last chance to get paid big bucks, once he hits 30, those chances for an already slow WR are gone

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 02:47 PM
at 29, i don't think he can afford to do a 1 year deal

this is pretty much his last chance to get paid big bucks, once he hits 30, those chances for an already slow WR are gone

red can the Packers afford him for even this Season?

" ... It is unknown what Bryant will command on the open market. He signed a five-year deal worth $70 million contract in 2015. His cap hit for this season was set to be $16.5 million, per SpoTrac. However, the Cowboys save $8.5 million in cap space by releasing him, while accumulating $8 million in dead money...."

Green Bay Packers 2018 Salary Cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

I see after paying for the Draft Class that (not much remains).

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 03:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926397/article/potential-landing-spots-for-excowboys-wr-dez-bryant

Potential landing spots for ex-Cowboys WR Dez Bryant

By Kevin Patra ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: April 13, 2018 at 02:05 p.m. Updated: April 13, 2018 at 02:52 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27

Are the Green Bay Packers understood or misunderstood?

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Jermichael Finley@JermichaelF88

12 would make Dez life much easier!!!!!! And the only WR 12 has is @tae15adams. #GoPackGo

12:32 PM - Apr 13, 2018

mraynrand
04-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Jermichael Finley@JermichaelF88

12 would make Dez life much easier!!!!!! And the only WR 12 has is @tae15adams. #GoPackGo

12:32 PM - Apr 13, 2018

Randall Cobb has the sadz.

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 04:00 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926370/article/nfl-players-react-to-cowboys-cutting-dez-bryant

NFL players react to Cowboys cutting Dez Bryant

By Around The NFL staff NFL.com

Published: April 13, 2018 at 12:50 p.m. Updated: April 13, 2018 at 04:17 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

There will be plenty of Teams interested in acquiring Dez Bryant. ie Baltimore, Houston, San Fran,'Rub it in their faces' Dan Snyder and the Division Rival Washington Redskins. " Look how we responded to losing TE Jimmy Graham." Seattle Seahawks. ...more ...

OK ... here's where we see what the 'NEW Green Bay look and BRASS' really is about ! We do already have our "Red Zone Threat in TE Jimmy Graham' but the Packer 'O' has to get there to use that threat.

Let's see if the Packer Brass has any balls. It's shit or get off the Pot time Gutey.

I don't see any WR in this Draft Class as good as Dez Bryant. No one that would make Aaron Rodgers smile more about and WR.

I hope the Packers 'at least' take a look at him [/B].

red
04-13-2018, 04:37 PM
red can the Packers afford him for even this Season?

" ... It is unknown what Bryant will command on the open market. He signed a five-year deal worth $70 million contract in 2015. His cap hit for this season was set to be $16.5 million, per SpoTrac. However, the Cowboys save $8.5 million in cap space by releasing him, while accumulating $8 million in dead money...."

Green Bay Packers 2018 Salary Cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

I see after paying for the Draft Class that (not much remains).after signing the draft picks we would have about 8-8.5 million left

signing dez would probably eat all of that

of course there are plenty of guys with big cap numbers who don't add anything to the team (cobb, mathews, bulaga)

one big problem is that 4.2 million in dead money is counting against us from the failed bennett abortion

if we sign him, cool, we need WR's (plural) badly. if we don't, fine, we are still in desperate need of WR's

pbmax
04-13-2018, 04:47 PM
No. Packers just let go a large possession receiver costing $10 mil per year. Hasn’t bee the same since the foot trouble.

He’s done unless he wants to be paid like veteran replacement guy.

mraynrand
04-13-2018, 04:51 PM
one big problem is that 4.2 million in dead money is counting against us from the failed bennett abortion

adding insult to fake injury

Joemailman
04-13-2018, 04:55 PM
They changed the catch rule, so why not bring him in?

Bretsky
04-13-2018, 04:55 PM
adding insult to fake injury

I would not pay nearly as much as others in this thread are suggesting

yetisnowman
04-13-2018, 07:20 PM
No. Packers just let go a large possession receiver costing $10 mil per year. Hasn’t bee the same since the foot trouble.

He’s done unless he wants to be paid like veteran replacement guy.

Weren't you on record a while back saying there were a bunch of receivers that were productive into their 30s, while discussing keeping Jordy? By that rationale why exactly, at 29, is Dez "done"?

Pugger
04-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Do the Packers even have a #1?

Regardless a depth composing of Dez, Adams, Cobb and Ridley (and Jimmy G) would be awesome.

Yes, sign the dude!

Davante Adams

SavedByGrace
04-13-2018, 07:45 PM
If we end up signing him, it sounds like we pretty much won't have any money left. Fine by me. As cautious as I am of his attitude, he could bring an awesome element to the green and gold.

One thing that I love about Dez is his physicality and ability to make strong catches over the D. There are a few guys in the NFL (Julio Jones, Dez, AJ Green, etc.) that are big, physical receivers. It'd be nice to have #12 throwing to one of those elite receivers. I still think Dez is elite...Dak is no Romo. I think Bryant is Jordy-esque in that he can physically go get passes away from the D and overpower them at the high point of the throw. Jordy was great at the back shoulder catch. Rodgers could have something special with Dez's physicality.

I really think our offense looks A LOT better with Adams, Bryant, Graham, and Cobb catching passes from a healthy Rodgers. As someone said earlier, Bryant is better than any reciever in the draft. What's the harm? Let's give it a shot for a season...if we can afford it.

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 07:52 PM
For any of you that Poo Poo's Dez Bryant and having a bad attitude your not seeing it correctly.There's plenty out there today that says that attitude won't be an issue and Dez Bryant finding a new team. I don't see this being a Season to commit to a player like Dez Bryant.

It's not at all about now or 'short term' and solutions in Green Bay. Are the Green Bay Packers realistically on the verge of winning a Super Bowl? Is this 2018 Season the one to seal the deal possibly with 'a Dez Bryant'?

Some possibly fortunate Team will really need/desire Dez Bryant and that cannot be if he had a poor attitude Rep. He's known around the NFL as a competitor with real skills. A change of scenery may be just what the Doctor ordered. If he truly has that Dez Bryant heart still I'd want him.

For Example:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926370/article/nfl-players-react-to-cowboys-cutting-dez-bryant

In all probability Dez Bryant will be a highly sought-after FA.

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reported that the market will be "aggressive" for the receiver's services despite his release coming so late into free agency.

The reactions of NFL players seconds that support for Dez Bryant is a WR that NFL players want to see on their team.Multiple players, including Tyrann Mathieu, Jamal Adams and Su'a Cravens, began Twitter-recruiting the wideout within minutes of his release.

Knowing his competitive Spirit he'll possibly want some payback.There are WR-needy teams with salary-cap room to spare, and three of them (Redskins, Eagles, Giants) play the Cowboys twice a year.

Pugger
04-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Unless Dez will take a pay cut he isn't coming to GB

woodbuck27
04-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Unless Dez will take a pay cut he isn't coming to GB

He isn't coming to Green Bay for too many reasons. The TRUTH and too many of those reasons is that the Green Bay Packers are in a mess and in an assessment Season.

mraynrand
04-13-2018, 08:00 PM
He isn't coming to Green Bay for too many reasons. The TRUTH and too many of those reasons is that the Green Bay Packers are in a mess and in an assessment Season.

Why wouldn't they assess Dez? You know they probably have a pretty good idea what he can offer. After all, pretty sure Eliot Wolf left a copy of his NFL pro personnel scout book behind...

Joemailman
04-13-2018, 08:11 PM
I think the idea of needing a #1 WR (what's the definition?) is overdone. Especially when you have the best QB. Anybody watch the Eagles last year? They didn't have a WR with 800 yards.

pbmax
04-13-2018, 08:30 PM
I think the idea of needing a #1 WR (what's the definition?) is overdone. Especially when you have the best QB. Anybody watch the Eagles last year? They didn't have a WR with 800 yards.

You should be able to do that. But M3 has to get over the idea that the receivers must win 1 on 1 instead of scheming them open.

However, I don't share the board's current assessment that Adams isn't a #1 WR. I am also higher on Cobb than most. I've got some video as soon as I find the right bookmark.

The Shadow
04-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Pass on Dez.

Joemailman
04-13-2018, 08:44 PM
You should be able to do that. But M3 has to get over the idea that the receivers must win 1 on 1 instead of scheming them open.

However, I don't share the board's current assessment that Adams isn't a #1 WR. I am also higher on Cobb than most. I've got some video as soon as I find the right bookmark.

I'm hoping that Philbin will be able to get MM do do away with the 1 on 1 philosophy. I may be wrong, but I think the decline of Cobb may have started with that.

texaspackerbacker
04-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Have any of you people saying you want him in Green Bay seen him consistently the past couple of seasons? I have, and he's awful. And the Cowboys wasted a lot of downs throwing it his way just to placate his rotten attitude. Do NOT sign him! Whoever does will be making a big mistake.

Cheesehead Craig
04-13-2018, 09:26 PM
CBs know that Dez has 2 routes, quick slant or back shoulder. That's it. He's easy to defend and has no speed or separation ability. He scares no one. If you wanted a WR for 7 mil/yr, where was the clamoring for Crabtree who is better than Dez and cost that much? Stop falling for the name, this isn't 2014 Dez.

For those that say his attitude is no problem, you haven't been paying attention. He's petulant when he doesn't get the ball and has been known to pout and mentally check out.

Zool
04-13-2018, 09:30 PM
If they could get 2013 or 2014 Dez then hell yes. 2018 Dez not so much. He’s talked a lot of shit about the Cowboys on his way out already and has said he wants to stay in the east.

pbmax
04-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Weren't you on record a while back saying there were a bunch of receivers that were productive into their 30s, while discussing keeping Jordy? By that rationale why exactly, at 29, is Dez "done"?

He can still be effective. So can Nelson. Look at Fitzgerald in the slot. But both JN and DB seem physically compromised. If $10 mil was too much for limited Jordy it’s too much for Bryant.

If he signs for less than Oakland Jordy then maybe I am interested.

They dumped Jordy when the thought they would need the cap space. They only wanted him at vet street FA money. Since no #1 CB signed maybe they do it. But it’s just a swap then. Not an improvement.

Freak Out
04-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Let him break a few laws first then bring him in. What the hell did Rison get busted for? Domestic abuse?

mraynrand
04-13-2018, 10:26 PM
But it’s just a swap then. Not an improvement.

Yeah, and Jordy's a nice guy - Dez is a real tool. I don't think I want even some marginal improvement at the cost of hating a player on my own team.

pbmax
04-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Let him break a few laws first then bring him in. What the hell did Rison get busted for? Domestic abuse?

I don't remember why precipitated it, but he did suffer a house fire if I remember correctly.

Zool
04-14-2018, 08:08 AM
I don't remember why precipitated it, but he did suffer a house fire if I remember correctly.

Left Eye from TLC was Risons girlfriend and burned down his house in ATL.

mraynrand
04-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Left Eye from TLC was Risons girlfriend and burned down his house in ATL.

And things went downhill from there.

Cleveland signed him in '95, Modell said in public that he had to take out a loan to sign him, then announces the team move. Rison got all kinds of death threats as the proximal cause for the Browns skipping town. Fun times in Cleveland again!

Pugger
04-14-2018, 08:30 AM

If this is true, then no thanks.

mraynrand
04-14-2018, 08:34 AM
can we bring in Denzel instead?

https://static.goldderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/denzel-washington-fences-620x360.jpg

Dude can act.

red
04-14-2018, 08:44 AM
can we bring in Denzel instead?

https://static.goldderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/denzel-washington-fences-620x360.jpg

Dude can act.

yeah,but the dudes pushing 70

mraynrand
04-14-2018, 08:48 AM
yeah,but the dudes pushing 70

I just want him there for training camp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqdA1B3_Nc

Strange Brew
04-14-2018, 08:53 AM
https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc2OTg3NTM5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTc0MzI2._V1_U Y317_CR102,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Babaloo your ass right to Green Bay!

mraynrand
04-14-2018, 08:57 AM
^^^^ lol WTH?

Freak Out
04-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Ha ha! Desi!

woodbuck27
04-14-2018, 01:33 PM

Andre Rison was arrested (for stupidity) in April 1997 in Lawrenceville, Ga. for disorderly conduct when he refused to get out of a car after a traffic stop.

woodbuck27
04-14-2018, 01:38 PM
No ... to use some of your sweet American:

Dez Bryant couldn't possibly improve the Packers current Stable of fine horses and WR.

What a joke except the Packer Brass realize where they are and the 2018 Season. You can't possibly fake such CRAP.

Thanks Ted !

mraynrand
04-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Ha ha! Desi!

Lacy, you got a lot of 'splaining to do!

Fritz
04-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Let's bring in an aging, slowing wide receiver and overpay him!

Wait, so why did they cut Jordy Nelson, then?

Rutnstrut
04-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Let's bring in an aging, slowing wide receiver and overpay him!

Wait, so why did they cut Jordy Nelson, then?

Isn't that obvious? Jordy was cut because he's white.

Zool
04-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Lacy, you got a lot of eating to do!

FIFY

mraynrand
04-14-2018, 07:34 PM
FIFY

lololol

run pMc
04-15-2018, 10:02 AM
They can kick the tires and see where his head/body are at, and what his asking price is, but I think when it comes down to it he's a NO unless he signed for < $4M, and even then I'm not sure I like it.

Hasn't topped 900 yards since 2014, and his Rec:Tgt % is not great.
Jordy was more productive since 2014, and they cut him. People bitch about Cobb, he's been more productive than Dez over the last 3 seasons.
Packers need to get faster and probably younger at WR, so why would they sign a 29yo Dez?
Jimmy Graham will produce what Dez can, and you can only tie up so much of your cap in one area.

If they are going to spend any FA money, I'd rather it be on the O-Line or for a CB...or to put towards signing Rodgers to an extension.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BryaDe01.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CobbRa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsJo00.htm

George Cumby
04-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Prepare for Armageddon. Two Blind PackerSquirrels have found nuts.

gbgary
04-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Davante Adams

i love the guy but he's the #1 by default. he'd be a 2 on most other teams.

as for the question of bringing dez in...i'd rather they draft ridley. ridley's the only wr that would be a starter out of the box and an immediate upgrade for the O and over allison (who as meh as he is, at least has experience and knows the O {or what's left of it as it's reportedly being overhauled}). almost no one thinks they'll do what's necessary (if anything) to take ridley (as the D hasn't improved at all over the offseason). i don't expect them to go get dez either but he would make the O better...especially a highly motivated dez...and getting better is the whole point. he's better than allison. also...is there a better FA wr out there better than dez. if so they should go get him. so...on a jordyish 2 yr deal (where he can be dumped after one year no-harm-done)...sure.

mraynrand
04-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Prepare for Armageddon. Two Blind PackerSquirrels have found Nutz.

FIFY

woodbuck27
04-15-2018, 11:27 PM
According to Adam Schefter of ESPN:

some believe the Packers will be one of the teams who will show interest in Bryant.

Schefter also mentioned the Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens and Buffalo Bills could also go after him."

Dez Bryant played in all 16 games in 2017 despite injuring his ankle in Week Nine, but he did not post a 100-yard game.

He finished the year with 69 receptions, 838 yards and six touchdowns.