PDA

View Full Version : Best Options for the Packers at 14.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Some of these guys will not be there for the Packers but that doesn't mean that they are not the best pick. This a list based on the Packers needs.

1. Bradley Chubb, like hell he will be there but he offers the Packers the best option to put a pass rusher on the field with results in 2018.

2. Denzel Ward, the Packers have had issues with coverage for the last 5 years under Dom Capers and his scheme. New scheme in, but where is the talent? This guy has the best potential in the draft as a cover corner.

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, He is a do it all type player in the secondary, he can cover on the outside, as a deep safety, a slot corner, or as a strong safety.

4. Derwin James is a hell of an athlete. Production has been the question mark on this guy, but he can be a rover on the defensive side of the ball and still cover tight ends and backs.

5. Quentin Nelson, he will be an immediate starter on a very shaky offensive line. His best position is at guard but he could play and excel at left tackle as well.

6. Jaire Alexander, duded is a stud with length and likes to compete. He has a bit of nasty streak to go along with the right bit of cockiness

7. Roquan Smith, I was a fan, then I wasn't. I watched the Auburn game and he just got eaten up on misdirection, and the offensive line sort of mauled him. He is still a great athlete that can cover downfield and get to the edge.

8. Mike Hughes, see the trend? The Packers need help in the secondary and 14 is not too high to take a cat that can help in coverage and as a top end returner.

9. Marcus Davenport, The guy is an athletic freak. At almost 6'7" this guy has all the potential in the world. He will need to take to coaching and dedicate himself 24/7 to realize the potential but the guy is hard to pass up when looking at his measurables.

10. Tremaine Edmunds, I think he will be a better OLB than ILB. He is a better fit in space than clogged up in the middle. He had a good combine but on film I just don't see the speed and quick twitch that leads to being a playmaker.

11. Joshua Jackson, He does not have ideal speed but he understands coverages and how to mask coverages. He tricks QBs into throwing into zones that he has coverage. not the toughest of tacklers but he can come in and compete for a job in the secondary.

12. Rashan Evans, He is probably the best in the box middle linebacker in the draft and I could say that he could be better than Smith. The Tide have had several top flight inside linebackers go to the NFL the last few years but Evans is the most athletic and still brings a high level of nastiness and aggression.

13. Receiver, this is one position I haven't figured out in this draft. This seems to be a weak top tier, if there even is a top tier because there seems to be three or four guys that could be taken as the number one receiver in this draft. The Packers could be the first team to take a receiver if the draft doesn't go their way.

14. Vita Vea, You gotta love this guys size, strength, and speed. The Packers don't exactly have a need but who knows exactly what type of defense will be run by Pettine. The question is can he get pressure up the middle on pass plays?

15. Isaiah Oliver, big corners that can run. That is what just about every team needs. He is rated as a top 5 corner and although no prognosticator has him going in the top half of the draft I wouldn't be disappointed with him at 14 although he doesn't seem to want to tackle in the run game.

mraynrand
04-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Nice post. You've provided some quality draft material, Deputy. Better than the Draftniks on the telly. But I am worried about your agenda.... :)

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Nice post. You've provided some quality draft material, Deputy. Better than the Draftniks on the telly. But I am worried about your agenda.... :)

Pussy, always pussy

RashanGary
04-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Yep, great stuff!

RashanGary
04-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Fitzpatrick excites me! Could be like Woodson!

pbmax
04-25-2018, 11:57 AM
Keep your head on a swivel Justin, my Steelers pick, then Yeti and you are on the clock.

Steeler pick coming up.

woodbuck27
04-25-2018, 02:57 PM
https://s-i.huffpost.com/gen/1961945/images/o-ANGEL-GOD-facebook.jpg

" I am what I am " and ..... I say Green Bay Packers ....

Trade Down from NFL Draft Round One Pick NO. 14.

gbgary
04-25-2018, 03:06 PM
a new name on the very recent mocks is vander esch. he's popping up as a late 1st round guy. after their pick at 14 (if they don't move up then) maybe they can trade up, back into the 1st round, and take him...if the pick at 14 isn't a linebacker. what do the rats think of him?

edit: if we get him and end up not liking we can call him vander ech. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/ack2.gif

beveaux1
04-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Great post. Seems like we need a RT as much as an edge rusher since we don't have a starter there to start the season and we have two oft-injured edge rushers to start the season.

The Shadow
04-25-2018, 04:00 PM
a new name on the very recent mocks is vander esch. he's popping up as a late 1st round guy. after their pick at 14 (if they don't move up then) maybe they can trade up, back into the 1st round, and take him...if the pick at 14 isn't a linebacker. what do the rats think of him?

edit: if we get him and end up not liking we can call him vander ech. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/ack2.gif

I've liked him for some time. There have been athletic comparisons to Brian Urlacher by several scouts. Played 8 man football in high school, attended Boise State; smalltown kid all the way. I think he would be a great pick : the Pack would be strengthening the guts of the defense first (he's excellent vs run OR pass-defending ). I'd rather build from the inside out - toughen the middle, then work outward to the edges.

bobblehead
04-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Great post. Seems like we need a RT as much as an edge rusher since we don't have a starter there to start the season and we have two oft-injured edge rushers to start the season.

This is a good point as well. If they don't like in house options, one of the 2 big name OT could definitely be a target if they like them. Also trading down and taking a T could be an option if we get enough to trade down.

pbmax
04-25-2018, 05:52 PM
I have seen two recent mocks with McGlinchey going to Pack at 14.

Smidgeon
04-25-2018, 07:03 PM
I have seen two recent mocks with McGlinchey going to Pack at 14.

Me too. And I immediately misliked both mocks.

red
04-25-2018, 07:27 PM
new rumor out that the packers are one of several teams trying to move UP

our first and second would get us up to #7 or 8

our 3rd would get us up around pick 10

our 3rd nd 4th could move us up to #8, but thats the bears, no way they give us what we want for cheap

Bretsky
04-25-2018, 07:48 PM
new rumor out that the packers are one of several teams trying to move UP

our first and second would get us up to #7 or 8

our 3rd would get us up around pick 10

our 3rd nd 4th could move us up to #8, but thats the bears, no way they give us what we want for cheap

You are about 4 hours late on this super reporter :))) lol

Teamcheez1
04-25-2018, 08:31 PM
I would prefer we move down instead of move up. We have too many holes to fill.

pbmax
04-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Me too. And I immediately misliked both mocks.

We could find out that the prognosis on Bulaga isn't good.

pbmax
04-25-2018, 10:03 PM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/04/25/dougherty-versatile-minkah-fitzpatrick-could-fall-packers-no-14/550517002/

Dougherty figures Chubb and Ward are not getting close to the Packers. Figures its Fitz, James or Edmunds if they move up a couple of spots (assuming he gets by the 49ers).

His scout source likes Edmunds better but says he has no coaching or technique on pass rush. Would be project on outside for that.

Fitz can play three spots but doesn't have a natural home, James is strictly strong safety type. James better version of Jones.

Smidgeon
04-25-2018, 10:04 PM
We could find out that the prognosis on Bulaga isn't good.

True. But I think McCray or Murphy would function over there if Spriggs(TM) never takes the next step.

pbmax
04-25-2018, 10:07 PM
True. But I think McCray or Murphy would function over there if Spriggs(TM) never takes the next step.

I really hope so. Not every hole gets filled on draft day.

pbmax
04-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Guy writes for Bleacher Report and CheeseheadTV. He did the historical size/speed breakdowns I posted elsewhere for the Packer's "types".

Justis Mosqueda @JuMosq
They don't have a type at safety. Safeties usually aren't athletes anyway. Some level of "beggars can't be choosers" at the position with a few (like Derwin) who bubble up.

This guy did the measurables thing for McKenzie and the Raiders. Unlike JM, he thinks James doesn't qualify
Nick Hjeltness @NickHjeltness
Derwin failed 3-cone and SS. Surprisingly.

Brian Corriveau @BrianCarriveau
Off topic, but I wanted to gauge people's opinion on Derwin James' relatively poor 3-cone and shuttle times for a supposedly elite athlete. Didn't even do them at Combine and turned in subpar times at pro day. How much of a concern to you?

Playoff rcon14@rcon14
Replying to @BrianCarriveau
it's pretty concerning to me, honestly. It doesn't throw him off the board, but I don't think you can discard it, especially if you want him to play in the slot as well

Bryan Aschenbrenner @Brynecologist
Are there any good examples of great players performing poorly in that regard?

Playoff rcon14 @rcon14
fwiw, in the mockdraftable database, there's almost no safeties with a worse than 7.3 3C at all. Closest ones of note are Landon Collins (7.38) and HHCD (7.16). Kind of unprecedented to see such a porous time, it'd be 5th worst in the dataset there since 1999

Worth reading entire thread on other Packer misfits here: https://twitter.com/rcon14/status/982297292337131521

pbmax
04-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Packers visited with James and Hughes among others:

Playoff rcon14 @rcon14
Derwin James ran a 7.34 3-cone at his pro day. This is either a) a very elaborate smokescreen or b) GB may be stretching their thresholds for DBs a bit (also brought in Mike Hughes, who is short)

Greg Gabriel @greggabe
Speed is the same, Derwin jumps higher. Fitz did a 6.55 3-cone on Wednesday, James isn’t as quick as that

Fuse Vue @lifesyourcup
NFLDS has Derwin James' 3-cone at 7.34 and shuttle at 4.34. Again, my measurements were really close.

Question is: if 3 cone (measuring hip performance) and short shuttle (ankle) put him in Josh Jones territory, do you want two of those guys in your defense?

hoosier
04-26-2018, 07:14 AM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/04/25/dougherty-versatile-minkah-fitzpatrick-could-fall-packers-no-14/550517002/

Dougherty figures Chubb and Ward are not getting close to the Packers. Figures its Fitz, James or Edmunds if they move up a couple of spots (assuming he gets by the 49ers).

His scout source likes Edmunds better but says he has no coaching or technique on pass rush. Would be project on outside for that.

Fitz can play three spots but doesn't have a natural home, James is strictly strong safety type. James better version of Jones.

In that light I don't know if any of them are worth moving up for. If one of them drops to 14, great; otherwise, take one of the edge rushers (if you think it's good value) or try to trade down to high teens or low 20s and pick up an extra 2nd rounder.

mraynrand
04-26-2018, 07:23 AM
Packers visited with James and Hughes among others:

Playoff rcon14 @rcon14
Derwin James ran a 7.34 3-cone at his pro day. This is either a) a very elaborate smokescreen or b) GB may be stretching their thresholds for DBs a bit (also brought in Mike Hughes, who is short)

this is what I've been wondering for a while - are we sure we know what their standards are this year?

pbmax
04-26-2018, 07:39 AM
this is what I've been wondering for a while - are we sure we know what their standards are this year?

No we are not. He talked to all the free agents. Maybe he is expanding the scope of the draft search too. He was hired by Wolf, taught by McCloughan and worked under Ted. So I doubt he strays too far though.

But I've said before that I think McCarthy at times seems to think analytics is simply a list of successful features for a win, ranked. He has expressed his appreciation for the run game before in those terms and executed that vision on the field.

A hard limit on height is similar. If I recall, Wolf developed those back with the Raiders and Jets. If you are truly scoring prospects, height under 5' 10.5" might be a slight negative, but if you are 5' 9.5", it should be easily overcome with other good-great physical traits.

So there is always hope. A hard limit might make it easy to predict picks, but its nuts that a quarter inch would prevent you from selecting the superior player.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2018, 08:29 AM
With James' vertical and 40 time I am not that concerned about fast twitch reaction time. It could just be drills he doesn't perform great at. AJ Hawk had a great 3 cone and shuttle....

https://youtu.be/0KBaa4Clc20

He has great field vision and instincts. His speed translates to the football field, and he takes great angles to the football. If he falls to 14 he should be a no brainer for the Packers.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2018, 08:33 AM
I liked Murphy coming out of college and thought it was a great pick in the 5th round for the Packers, up until he was injured he has shown more than Spriggs. I think the Packers hope that Murphy's injury is healed and he is ready to go at right tackle. The Packers are going to invest early in the offensive line. The issue with the Packers is that they have too many needs to fill in this draft, and that's not for depth.

Really offensive line is their biggest need. They need better players off the edge and in the secondary, but they have empty spots on the right side of the offensive line.

pbmax
04-26-2018, 09:04 AM
With James' vertical and 40 time I am not that concerned about fast twitch reaction time. It could just be drills he doesn't perform great at. AJ Hawk had a great 3 cone and shuttle....

https://youtu.be/0KBaa4Clc20

He has great field vision and instincts. His speed translates to the football field, and he takes great angles to the football. If he falls to 14 he should be a no brainer for the Packers.

Does he duplicate what you get out of Jones?

pbmax
04-26-2018, 09:13 AM
Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
Per @BobMcGinn, the Packers recently approached Bulaga about a pay cut. He declined.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbsL0QCXUAAWNys.jpg:large

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2018, 09:18 AM
He could, but I think he might be better in coverage than Jones, while Jones might be a better deep safety. Jones hopefully figures it out, but this defense needs quality football players, you can't pass on James if he is there and Fitzpatrick and Ward are both off the board.

Fritz
04-26-2018, 10:48 AM
I would prefer we move down instead of move up. We have too many holes to fill.

There's an easy "yo momma" joke right there.

pbmax
04-26-2018, 11:19 AM
I could see them trying to get up the board for coverage (Ward/Fitz) and if the price is too steep, you take James.

If he is gone, you are left with tackle/OLB/OLB/DT options without huge value at 14, you try to go down.

I don't have an answer for 14 though.

Fritz
04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
It's like they're on pick away from being assured of - as much as one can be assured - a top tier player. There appear to be 12 or 13 sure-fire picks that will seemingly be gone before #14.

The Shadow
04-26-2018, 12:11 PM
It's like they're on pick away from being assured of - as much as one can be assured - a top tier player. There appear to be 12 or 13 sure-fire picks that will seemingly be gone before #14.

There are always that surprise or two that end up higher than you would think.

Smidgeon
04-26-2018, 12:11 PM

That's assuming the teams agree on the top players. Someone's likely to drop. They always do. However, it isn't often GB picks near the top, so this could be the year the QBs drop and the other talent stays at the top.

mraynrand
04-26-2018, 12:14 PM
There's an easy "yo momma" joke right there.

"Pledge walks into a sorority and says: "