PDA

View Full Version : Official Day 2 (Rounds 2&3) Of The 2018 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

smuggler
04-27-2018, 09:44 PM
Burks will be a core special teamer and his measureables give him upside, but he's a project and he's a little light. Maybe he can develop into our coverage LB.

FWIW, trade value chart has Packers ahead on the trade. They have 4 5th's tomorrow. I think they'll use a couple to move into the 4th.

They have a 4th round comp pick and three 5ths tomorrow.

Fosco33
heard it was the 4th and a 5th. 101 & 147

Yup a 5th to go up 13 spots. Sounds like we may use him in sub packages and they like his coverage skills vs TEs

Joemailman
It was picks 101 and 147 they traded. Their 1st 4th and second 5th.

Okay, that's even better. Demovsky must have had bad information.

beveaux1
04-27-2018, 09:45 PM
He’s fast, tested well, and can probably add a few pounds. He’s played multiple positions including the secondary. He’s Ryan’s competition. He had to be someone whose grade was much better than the alternatives left on their board. Trust the process.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2018, 09:45 PM
Remember though, the guys I'm high on usually stink and the guys I don't like usually rock -- except for Nick Collins. I was the first on his bandwagon. I will say that Burks testing numbers were off the charts. As good as Shaquem Griffin did at the combine, Burks was a better athlete at the combine. Best athletic numbers for any ILB at the combine. Matthew Thomas was the only one that came close. Watch his tape though. He is not a good tackler.

Check out these numbers (at the Combine -- which makes them legit numbers)

6'3" 233, 4.59 40, 4.15 shuttle, 6.82 3-cone, 39 1/2" vertical, 10'11" broad jump

To put that in perspective, these were numbers from some other athletic ILBs.

Deion Jones = 6'1" 222, 4.49 40, 4.32 shuttle, 7.16 3-cone, 34" vertical, 10' broad jump
Eric Kendricks = 6'0" 232, 4.61 40, 4.14 shuttle, 7.14 3-cone, 38" vertical, 10'5" broad jump
Jordan Hicks = 6'1" 236, 4.68 40, 4.15 shuttle, 6.78 3-cone, 38" vertical, 10'4" broad jump
Ryan Shazier = 6'1" 237, 4.38 40 (Pro Day time), 4.21 shuttle, 6.91 3-cone, 42" vertical, 10'10" broad jump

So, he is a great athlete.

Joemailman
04-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Burks will be a core special teamer and his measureables give him upside, but he's a project and he's a little light. Maybe he can develop into our coverage LB.

I think that's exactly what they have in mind. He's a converted DB, so he may be a bit of a project.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2018, 09:46 PM
heard it was the 4th and a 5th. 101 & 147

That's better.

mraynrand
04-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Weren't people bitching about lack of speed at ILB?

Zool
04-27-2018, 09:48 PM
If Burks can actually cover a TE or RB out of the backfield, there’s no reach too great.

Bretsky
04-27-2018, 09:49 PM
His numbers whacked Deion Jones, who I liked. Now that we found it it was a 4th and 5th I can live with this...as long as he starts over Jake Ryan

Joemailman
04-27-2018, 09:50 PM
His numbers whacked Deion Jones, who I liked. Now that we found it it was a 4th and 5th I can live with this...as long as he starts over Jake Ryan

You won't see Ryan in nickel.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Hopefully, this was his worst tape. It's not good. He can cover though. I think taller Joe Thomas as an apt description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IajeL8bdQ

woodbuck27
04-27-2018, 09:51 PM
I thought there was a bit of Baloney coming from Goot after all the Razzle Dazzle and picking our New CB at Pick NO. 18 last night.

Alarms went off when I read a Post here that basically stated that the Packers had several contacts with Jaire Alexander prior to the Draft and then Alexander denying that and his stance (if true) that he had NO Contacts with the Packers.

That got me to searching mode.

I read an article by a Wisconsin Packer Beat Writer that summed up IMO 'the too neat explanation' of why Goot decided to trade down to NO. 27 from NO. 14 and then 'hit the Panic Button' and trade up out of NO. 27 to NO. 18. Sure Good got another !st Rd. Pick for 2019 but the cost of 14 >>>27 and back >>> to 18 was pricey as the net Cost was 856 Value Chart Points. That's in the Ball Park with a Round One TRade Value of the 20th Overall Pick.

The Ole "Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" motto went out the back door with the wash water..

We watched The Green Bay Packers not value their NO. 14 Position Pick, trading all the way back to NO. 27; and allowing the NO Saints to move into position and actually select DL -EDGE Marcus Davenport, UTSA

* That move by the Saints got a poor Grade from a NFL Draft site B/R. I believe the goal and first Round picks should be to at least get a B+ Guy.

NOTE: OUR POLL selection or Harold Landry is on the Board for Round 2.

* Several Packerrats desired DL- EDGE Marcus Davenport. *

All the same, OUR collective thinking at Packerrats, was that Prospect Picks actually falling to and taken at NO. 16. Buffalo Bills (via Baltimore): ** Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech AND Pick NO. 17. Los Angeles Chargers: Derwin James, S, Florida State.

That those two of *** Five Solid Positional Prospects *** would be off the Board at NO. 14. and thus not a serious consideration for our NO. 14 Pick POLL.

*** 1. Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick; 2. CB Denzel Ward; ** 3. OLB Tremaine Edmunds (went at NO. 16 to Buffalo)); 4. Safety **** Derwin James (went at NO. 17 to the LA Chargers) and 5. ILB Roquan Smith.

I actually like the Packer selection at NO. 45 and CB Joshua Jackson who I ranked higher than Jaire Alexander. I like just how Jackson appears to me overall compared to our Round 1 CB.

So call it a Friday and the Draft and come in ponting on day Three.

Look after the RHS of the OL...protect Aaron Rodgers as a FIRST Priority.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2018, 09:52 PM
I like this trade up and pick. According to the ESPN draft website, the Packers still have all three 5th round picks but only one in the 6th. So I think they only gave up a 6th to move up the 13 spots. Also, ESPN has him listed as a OLB; His video shows more than half plays from OLB. The way the Packers do things, often switching back and forth, ILB and OLB, this guy seems to fit. And he looked fast in the video - 4.59 forty, I think.

mraynrand
04-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Hopefully, this was his worst tape. It's not good. He can cover though. I think taller Joe Thomas as an apt description.

He got hurt halfway though the 2nd. He'll fit right in.

pbmax
04-27-2018, 10:00 PM
If Burks can actually cover a TE or RB out of the backfield, there’s no reach too great.

On such hopes, many have been cut.

mraynrand
We watched The Green Bay Packers not value their NO. 14 Position Pick

Mike Mayock and others had the Packers taking Alexander at 14. He was #2 corner on many lists. Corner was area of biggest need. Who knows what you're talking about.

Bretsky
ANYBODY WANT TO THROW OUT THE BEST AVAILABLE ????????????

Bretsky
04-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Nick Nelson is going to be a good Pro IMO and would have been a nice pick had we not went CB round one

woodbuck27
04-27-2018, 10:06 PM
OK the Packers did move back in to pick in Round 3 at Pick NO.24 and Pick NO. 88 Overall.

OLB - OREN BURKS - VANDERBILT

WHO !? ....:-)

Prospect Grade = 5.46

In any other decade, Burks' lack of familiarity for any position for more than a year would force him into the "tweener" stack and he would be on his way. In today's game filled with hybrid players and sub-packages, Burks' background could make him more valuable. --Lance Zierlein

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/oren-burks?id=32462018-0002-5601-419e-39862d10c2d8

DRAFTTEK has him ...well look:

The 28th Ranked OLB and Overall as the 406th Ranked Draft Class Prospect or light years away from a 6th Rd. Pick.

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-43-Outside-LBs-2018-Draft.asp

He's 'a Swiss Army Life' style of Prospect. He even carries water. He appears to be one heck of a nice fella and likes the Books. He may be a solid Candidate for Packer Locker Room intellectual and Green Bay Citizen of the Year. :-)

Starting at a new position for the third straight year, the versatile Burks enjoyed his finest statistical season as a senior defensive co-captain... Started 11 of 12 games at inside linebacker after playing hybrid linebacker-safety position in 2016... As senior, set new personal highs with 45 solo tackles and 82 total tackles... Both tackle totals ranked second on team behind safety LaDarius Wiley... Ranked No. 15 in the SEC in total tackles

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/oren_burks_853217.html

Comment:

His Measurements aren't too shabby.

40 Yard Dash - 4.59 SECONDS

Bench Press - 18 REPS (add some strength)

Vertical Jump = 39.5 INCHES (very solid)

Broad Jump = 131.0 INCHES (not bad)

3 Cone Drill = 6.82 SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle = 4.15 (and he was .....dancing .... Yeaaa ! )

Make this fella a Running Back next.

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Nick Nelson is going to be a good Pro IMO and would have been a nice pick had we not went CB round one

I'm not totally convinced they're done at CB yet. It needs a lot of work. I would love to see them get Nelson tomorrow.

wthigoot
04-27-2018, 10:26 PM
I love hating the draft again. Gives me good vibes of Rodgers and Collins picks long past.

WTF Nick Collins we coulda had Ernest Shazor! :lol:

Always pays to wait a while to see how a pick pans out.

woodbuck27
04-27-2018, 10:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IajeL8bdQ

See the 3:13 Mark and somehow LB Orin Burks Vanderbilt returns to the game.

DRAFTTEK OLB Ranking him last or as the 28th Ranked OLB and NO. 406 Overall as a Prospect.

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-43-Outside-LBs-2018-Draft.asp

gbgary
04-27-2018, 10:47 PM
addressed some of the weakness up the middle with burks. doubt they'll do it but a free agent safety would be nice to help shore up the middle.

woodbuck27
04-27-2018, 10:49 PM
+1

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
Yes. A taller Joe Thomas -- which wouldn't be bad, but to use two 4th round picks on it is questionable to me. It's almost like they convinced themselves they had to move up into the 3rd round with all of their extra picks.

I wish they could have traded up a little further for Michael Gallup.

+1

+2

Make your Round 2 Pick and say Good Night.

You are first on the Clock in Round 4 and Pick NO. 101 that you obtained in a Trade involving your former CB and a !st Rd. Pic Damarious Randall and Goot needed to ust that Pick very wisely.

I didn't like his (Goot's) performance in Round One and (all the BS after dancing the Razzle Dazzle) last night. He saved some face for me getting CB Joshua Jackson at NO. 45 or what appeared to be a or close to First Rounder. Personally I like Josh Jackson over Jaire Alexander and he isn't so much FLASH. Give Jackson time and he'll be decent. He was picked in Rd. 2 and can be developed. He'll likely start opposite King and Alexander will Roam.

CRAP hahaha...well soon be hearing what a GEM GOOT moved to get tonight and just couldn't resist it. We'll imagine we have the next Brian Urlacher. MM will be plugging him and the ass slapping will be something special to see. :cry:

Sorry Packerrats I'm not happy trading our Two forth Rd Picks (one at the Top of Rd. 4 and overall Pick NO. 101 to move to what Pick NO 88. Was there a lot of talk suddenly about grabbing this just a Guy? Heck RELAX and see if you like him if he is there at 101.

GOOT should have learned something and Round 1 and what can actually be available after Pick NO. 14.

Is there just a little shit in GOOT?

Joemailman
04-27-2018, 10:54 PM
DRAFTTEK OLB Ranking him last or as the 28th Ranked OLB and NO. 406 Overall as a Prospect.

I don't think they know much about him. He played mostly inside last year, and will play inside for the Packers.

Draft Analyst had him rated as a 3rd round pick. GBN Report had him 4th round.

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2018, 11:01 PM
Brian Gooter, accomplished liar. :-D

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/990070570590064641

No way they had this fella as a superior tester to Roquan Smith.

Joemailman
04-27-2018, 11:05 PM
Brian Gooter, accomplished liar. :-D

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/990070570590064641

No way they had this fella as a superior tester to Roquan Smith.

They're talking about his Combine performance. Nobody is saying he's a better player than Smith.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2018, 11:14 PM
That Alabama. Film tells me one thing. The Packers didn't draft him to stop the run. He is not physical enough to do that he played with no leverage or technique and he tackles like a cornerback

wthigoot
04-27-2018, 11:14 PM
WTF Nick Collins we coulda had Ernest Shazor! :lol:

Always pays to wait a while to see how a pick pans out.

Didn't mean to say that you said that, pbmax. Do remember that sentiment during draft day 2005 though.

woodbuck27
04-27-2018, 11:17 PM
I don't think they know much about him. He played mostly inside last year, and will play inside for the Packers.

Draft Analyst had him rated as a 3rd round pick. GBN Report had him 4th round.

Yes I just checked that and this site is a new one to me and I've trusted Drafttek for about 6 Years now.

http://draftanalyst.com/ranking?position=OLB&year=

Grade 3.60 3rd Round OLB Oren Burks Vanderbilt 5Sr 2018

He looks like a RB..make this Swiss Army Knife into a RB hahaha.

Joemailman
04-27-2018, 11:24 PM
That Alabama. Film tells me one thing. The Packers didn't draft him to stop the run. He is not physical enough to do that he played with no leverage or technique and he tackles like a cornerback

He's a project. He's played 3 different positions the last 3 years. He'll need coaching to learn how to play like a linebacker. He'll probably start out as a dime linebacker/special teams guy. he's got upside though and reportedly shows good leadership qualities. Should be coachable.

woodbuck27
04-27-2018, 11:38 PM
It was picks 101 and 147 they traded. Their 1st 4th and second 5th.

That's better then both 4th Rd. Picks; but I wanted to see them just go home tonight and RELAX on Rd. 3.

Come in Sat.with guns blazing for Top of 4th Rd. and Pick NO. 101.

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2018, 11:40 PM
They're talking about his Combine performance. Nobody is saying he's a better player than Smith.

I know, I just meant there is no way he tests better than Smith. But then I look and see that Smith skipped most of the combine drills, so I guess that makes a little more sense then.

Smith is spooky in every way. He is going to be a great player I believe.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm not convinced the Packers see him as a ILB. He supposedly can get overpowered at the point of attack, but he's fast and mobile. He looks more like a OLB or something similar to what Josh Jones plays. If Pettine's schemes are anything like Capers', his kind of speed and mobility will serve him well as a pass rusher.

As for ILB, I'd like to see Clay Matthews get a lot more playing time there instead of OLB. Even with Pettine as DC, I doubt we have two ILBs on the field very much anyway.

woodbuck27
04-28-2018, 12:01 AM
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/OLB?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL

Orin Burks becomes a Green Bay Packer Picked in Rd. 3 and NO. 88 Overall. He was the 7th OLB off the Board.

1.Rashaan Evans
ALABAMA
Rnd 1, Pick 22 OLB Tennessee Titans Senior 6.10

2. Darius Leonard
SOUTH CAROLINA ST.
Rnd 2, Pick 4 OLB Indianapolis Colts Senior 5.81

3. Jerome Baker
OHIO ST.
Rnd 3, Pick 9 OLB Miami Dolphins Junior 5.65

4. Fred Warner
BYU
Rnd 3, Pick 6 OLB San Francisco 49ers Senior 5.64

5. Malik Jefferson
TEXAS
Rnd 3, Pick 14 OLB Cincinnati Bengals Junior 5.57

6. Dorian O'daniel
CLEMSON
Rnd 3, Pick 36 OLB Kansas City Chiefs Senior 5.50

7. Oren Burks
VANDERBILT
Rnd 3, Pick 24 OLB Green Bay Packers r-Senior 5.46

Shaquem Griffin
CENTRAL FLORIDA
- OLB - r-Senior 5.43

Skai Moore
SOUTH CAROLINA
- OLB - Senior 5.24

Matthew Thomas
FLORIDA ST.
- OLB - r-Senior 5.16

texaspackerbacker
04-28-2018, 12:09 AM
What about Chubb, Davenport, Edmunds, and Landry? They're not considered OLBs? I'd certainly say they are.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2018, 01:41 AM
I know, I just meant there is no way he tests better than Smith. But then I look and see that Smith skipped most of the combine drills, so I guess that makes a little more sense then.

Why not? Smith had a 33 1/2" vertical and 9'9" broad jump at his Pro Day. Burks had a 39 1/2" vertical and 10'11" broad jump. Burks had the second best shuttle and third best 3 cone among all LBs. As an overall athlete, Burks measured the best among all LBs. I can guarantee you that he would have beat Smith as an overall athlete because his margin over Smith in the shuttle and 3-cone would have been impossible for Smith to overcome with the two other drills included.

On the modified Spark scale that I use which I got from a Seahawks forum, Dorian O'Daniel had the best speed rating (40, shuttle, 3-cone), but had a below average explosiveness rating (vertical, broad jump). Burks was second in speed rating. Matthew Thomas had the best explosiveness rating. Burks was second best in explosiveness rating. Thomas and Burks tied for best overall athletes at LB. In fact, his modified Sparq score ranked tied (with Thomas) for second to Vic Beasley among LBs in the 2015, 2016, and 2018 drafts. (I didn't keep track of the measurables in 2017 because life was too busy.) If Burks was a safety, he would have still had elite testing scores. Only three safeties beat him as an overall athlete.

Burks and Thomas measured 84 as overall athletes in 2018, tying for the best. Leighton Vander Esch's was third at 80.
In 2016 that number would have ranked #1. Darron Lee led LBs with an 81 that year. No other LB was over 79.
In 2015 that number would have ranked #2. Vic Beasley led LBs with an 85 that year. No other LB was over 79.

There's no doubt the guy is an incredible athlete. The tape is another story. Smith has the tape. This guy needs to be coached up.

beveaux1
04-28-2018, 08:15 AM
Why not? Smith had a 33 1/2" vertical and 9'9" broad jump at his Pro Day. Burks had a 39 1/2" vertical and 10'11" broad jump. Burks had the second best shuttle and third best 3 cone among all LBs. As an overall athlete, Burks measured the best among all LBs. I can guarantee you that he would have beat Smith as an overall athlete because his margin over Smith in the shuttle and 3-cone would have been impossible for Smith to overcome with the two other drills included.

On the modified Spark scale that I use which I got from a Seahawks forum, Dorian O'Daniel had the best speed rating (40, shuttle, 3-cone), but had a below average explosiveness rating (vertical, broad jump). Burks was second in speed rating. Matthew Thomas had the best explosiveness rating. Burks was second best in explosiveness rating. Thomas and Burks tied for best overall athletes at LB. In fact, his modified Sparq score ranked tied (with Thomas) for second to Vic Beasley among LBs in the 2015, 2016, and 2018 drafts. (I didn't keep track of the measurables in 2017 because life was too busy.) If Burks was a safety, he would have still had elite testing scores. Only three safeties beat him as an overall athlete.

Burks and Thomas measured 84 as overall athletes in 2018, tying for the best. Leighton Vander Esch's was third at 80.
In 2016 that number would have ranked #1. Darron Lee led LBs with an 81 that year. No other LB was over 79.
In 2015 that number would have ranked #2. Vic Beasley led LBs with an 85 that year. No other LB was over 79.

There's no doubt the guy is an incredible athlete. The tape is another story. Smith has the tape. This guy needs to be coached up.

Thanks for the analysis. He really is a gifted athlete if he can make the transition to the NFL.

denverYooper
04-28-2018, 08:39 AM

https://youtu.be/f7QzxYAjgNc

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 08:54 AM
I've read scouting profiles about the guys we drafted and the one thing they have in common is poor tackling skills. Jackson especially. In 2017 Alexander was more timid than usual because of injury, but Jackson was rapped for his lack of willingness to mix it up. And as people have commented here, Burks' tackling is unimpressive. IMO the Packers were one of the worst tackling defenses in the NFL. So Whitt has his work cut out. As I recall Tremontana was a pretty fair tackler for a CB so maybe some of that will rub off.

All that said, I think we dealt with our porous pass defense. I wanted to deal with it from the front end by getting pass rushing big guys. Gute/Pettine apparently figured the best way to improve was to draft quality on the back end.

We'll see. Without a doubt Jackson has the best ball skills of any CB in the draft. And Alexander seems like a starter. Burks? We'll see about him.

By the way, all of these guys had SPARQ scores through the roof, so all three are right there in the top percentile of the best athletes in the NFL:

Josh Jackson 93.9% NFL percentile (Overall #6 -- 2nd only to Ward [98.8% NFL] among big name CB prospects)

Jaire Alexander 91.9% NFL percentile (Overall #8 -- 3rd among big name CB prospects)

Oren Burks 94.9% NFL percentile (Overall #3 -- Just below Vander Esch who checked in at 97.3%)

red
04-28-2018, 09:05 AM
walterfootball.com gave us an A+ for the josh jackson pick and a B+ for the bruks pick

Green Bay Packers: Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa A+ Grade
Holy hell, I forgot Joshua Jackson was still available. How in the world did he fall this far? Jackson is a player who could've gone No. 14 overall to the Packers, and I would've been fine with it. Some people whose opinion I respect think Jackson should've been in the conversation as the top cornerback in this entire class. Jackson is tall and instinctive and in the mold of Aqib Talib, and he should be an instant upgrade in Green Bay's atrocious secondary.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades2.php#ixzz5DyZQ6onQ

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades2.php#f7qSBVkthfJTkQI6.99

Green Bay Packers: Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt B+ Grade
Oren Burks is a solid pick in the middle of the third round. He's an athletic linebacker with nice instincts, and he could eventually become a starter for the Packers, who desperately needed some inside linebacker help.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php#ixzz5DyZXWrol

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php#gFO6QOwDjHVfbDc0.99

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Walter Football also had ESB from Notre Dame as the #6 ranked WR in the draft. All these scouting sites... How many really know?

Edit: Sorry, they had him at #6. That's ahead of Gallup, Pettis, Washington, Miller, Smith...

red
04-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Walter Football also had ESB from Notre Dame as the #6 ranked WR in the draft. All these scouting sites... How many really know?

Edit: Sorry, they had him at #6. That's ahead of Gallup, Pettis, Washington, Miller, Smith...

i highly doubt any of these site watch every single snap of every single player in the draft

most of those site are based on each other

one guy will write somewhere that the guy can play, or can't. a guy from another site reads that, then he writes that the guy can play, then the next guy does the same. pretty soon you have a consensus that everyone says the guy can or can't play. all based of one guy who may or may not know what he's talking about

i think about 99% of draft sites work that way

add that to the fact that the experts and teams can't even evaluate the guys right, and you pretty much just have an entertaining crap shoot for our amusement

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 10:16 AM
most of those site are based on each other

one guy will right somewhere that the guy can play, or can't. a guy from another site reads that, then he rights that the guy can play, then the next guy does the same. pretty soon you have a consensus that everyone says the guy can or can't play. all based of one guy who may or may not know what he's talking about

i think about 99% of draft sites work that way

Welcome to life