PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Packers Second Round Pick Josh Jackson

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Green Bay Packers, CB, Josh Jackson, Iowa

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Bio:
First-year starter who was a unanimous First Team All-America selection and led the nation with eight interceptions as a junior, returning two for touchdowns while making 48 tackles and breaking up 18 passes. Combined to make 18 tackles with six pass breakups in his first two seasons with the Hawkeyes.

Pos:
Terrific cover corner who burst on the scene in 2017. Battles receivers from the snap of the ball, shows a quick transition off the line and stays on the receiver’s hip out of breaks. Plays with balance and body control, effectively tracks the ball in the air and shows terrific hands for the interception. Keeps the action in front of him, has a great burst to the ball and effectively times his pass defenses. Possesses nice length and athleticism.

Neg:
Late to react on occasion. Struggles making plays with his back to the ball. Not forceful on the blitz.

Analysis:
Jackson comes off a tremendous junior campaign and moves towards the draft as one of the higher-rated cornerbacks. He possesses the size and upside to develop into a starter at the next level but presently is most effective facing the action and must improve making plays with his back to the ball.

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:42 PM
Ht Wt 40 20 10 Ben Vert Broad Shut Cone
6-0 196 4.48 2.61 1.57 18 38 10'03" 4.03 6.86

QBME
04-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Ya da ya da ya da

Guys got all weather skills.

Great pick.

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Jackson versus Michigan State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyDEYOnDOv8

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Jackson versus Ohio State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyJVtak_jjY

mraynrand
04-27-2018, 10:09 PM
It will be interesting to see how he plays when he has to match up against a QB with talent.

texaspackerbacker
04-28-2018, 12:05 AM
When the choice seemed like Ward or Jackson, I favored Jackson. I'm excited about Alexander, though, as somebody with the best of both Ward and Jackson.

The best Corner year before last, and the guy I wish we had kept was Ladarius Gunter. Jackson is similar (hopefully a lot better) - heavy on instinct/light on speed.

There's that old saying, "you can never have two many good Corners". Well, the Packers are certainly pushing the limit on that. What they really need is for one or more of these guys to be a Great - not just good - Corner. Either Alexander or Jackson or Kevin King could be that ...... or they could all flounder.

SkinBasket
04-28-2018, 06:51 AM
Needs better hips.

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 07:24 AM
The best Corner year before last, and the guy I wish we had kept was Ladarius Gunter.

:beat::beat::beat:

pbmax
04-28-2018, 07:44 AM
Packer Report @PackerReport
Gutekunst on Jackson: "He's a long corner with excellent ball skills." Had breakout senior season. Has knack "of going and getting it" when ball is in the air.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Should've drafted Donte Jackson instead. J-Jax looks like a poor man's Al Harris.

George Cumby
04-28-2018, 09:04 AM
FWIW: Pro Football Weekly had him rated as the top corner in the draft

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:19 AM
FWIW: Pro Football Weekly had him rated as the top corner in the draftDid you watch his highlight film? The guy's ball skills are off the charts. Amazing! He was a high-rated WR coming up.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Packer Report @PackerReport
Gutekunst on Jackson: "He's a long corner with excellent ball skills." Had breakout senior season. Has knack "of going and getting it" when ball is in the air.By "breakout" season I think he means first season, doesn't he?

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:23 AM
When the choice seemed like Ward or Jackson, I favored Jackson. I'm excited about Alexander, though, as somebody with the best of both Ward and Jackson.

The best Corner year before last, and the guy I wish we had kept was Ladarius Gunter. Jackson is similar (hopefully a lot better) - heavy on instinct/light on speed.

There's that old saying, "you can never have two many good Corners". Well, the Packers are certainly pushing the limit on that. What they really need is for one or more of these guys to be a Great - not just good - Corner. Either Alexander or Jackson or Kevin King could be that ...... or they could all flounder.You mean "founder", don't you? hahahahaha

(Sorry, you are a stickler on such things, so I couldn't resist! hahahaha)

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Did you watch his highlight film? The guy's ball skills are off the charts. Amazing! He was a high-rated WR coming up.

The comparison to Sherman seems pretty accurate. He has a knack for coming off his own guy, giving help, and getting the ball. I didn't look up who Iowa played in non-conference, but suffice it to say, this guy pretty much hasn't played against an actual QB yet.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:27 AM
The comparison to Sherman seems pretty accurate. He has a knack for coming off his own guy, giving help, and getting the ball. I didn't look up who Iowa played in non-conference, but suffice it to say, this guy pretty much hasn't played against an actual QB yet.I think the comparison to Sherman is not 100%. Despite what others think, Sherman can tackle. ...I've seen him do it once or twice. hahaha

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:01 PM
GBPG: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/04/25/2018-nfl-draft-green-bay-packers-picks/552404002/

AGE: 22 HT: 6-0 3/8 WT: 196 40-yard dash: 4.56 HOMETOWN: Corinth, Texas

LOWDOWN: Jackson was a ballhawk for the Hawkeyes who led the nation with eight interceptions last season. He also was tops in the country with 26 passes defensed. Two of those interceptions came against the Wisconsin Badgers and both were returned for touchdowns in the Badgers' 38-14 victory Nov. 11. Jackson also had three interceptions in an upset win over Ohio State. His long arms (31 1/8 inches) help with his ball skills. At 6-0 3/8, 196 pounds, Jackson also has the size to joust with receivers at the line of scrimmage. However, a 4.56 time in the 40-yard dash raised questions about how his speed would translate to the NFL. "Strong, smart and can jam you at the line of scrimmage with those long arms," Packers scout Alonzo Dotson said of Jackson. He came to Iowa as a wide receiver out of Lake Dallas (Texas) High School and redshirted in 2014. He moved from receiver to cornerback in the spring before the 2015 season. "It was the best thing for me. I thought I would be a better corner," Jackson said. Jackson was a backup for two seasons before his breakout season last year. He also finished 2017 with with 48 tackles, a forced fumble, and a blocked kick. He had a 38-inch vertical leap and put up 18 reps on the bench press. (Draft data via NFL.com).

QUICK TAKE: Green Bay continues revamping its secondary after taking Louisville corner Jaire Alexander in Round 1. Jackson picked off eight passes last year, though he doesn't have a ton of experience at corner. His ball skills might also make him a candidate to eventually play safety. Has drawn comparisons to Richard Sherman, though Jackson (6-0, 196) isn't as big. (Nate Davis, USA TODAY)

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS: In his first year as a starter, he established himself as a dominant defensive back with a Football Bowl Subdivision high of eight interceptions. Jackson's rare ball skills and aggressive mindset could make quarterbacks hesitate when deciding whether to throw his way. The NFL's more refined route runners could provide a challenge for Jackson, who only transitioned to corner from receiver in 2015, and his pedestrian 40-yard dash (4.56 seconds) at the combine might be a slight concern for some teams.

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 06:44 AM
Best pick in the draft for us, this kid is going to be special. Our secondary is loaded with talent now, something Pettine will need when calling his blitz packages.

pbmax
04-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Hat tip to Brandon494

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Db1Axw_WAAAt8Xu?format=jpg

pbmax
04-29-2018, 09:15 AM
again

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Db2xbpYXUAEQmwh?format=jpg

red
04-29-2018, 09:42 AM
i'm really excited about this pick, i think its by far our best one of the draft

jackson seems to be really pissed that he landed in the 2nd, and it already seems like he played with some attitude to begin with

i have a feeling he's gonna be our #1 cb, and maybe be the shutdown. king will take the tall guys, and alexander will supply the flash and big plays

he says he was talking with mike daniels through the whole draft process (both from iowa) it would be great if he brings that same kind of nastiness and leadership to the secondary

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Best pick in the draft for us, this kid is going to be special. Our secondary is loaded with talent now, something Pettine will need when calling his blitz packages.

I really like this pick, but I've been making the point about the quality of QBs he's faced being pretty crappy. Does that worry you at all?

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 12:42 PM
I really like this pick, but I've been making the point about the quality of QBs he's faced being pretty crappy. Does that worry you at all?

Maybe if we got him in the first round but where we drafted him I think it’s worth the risk.

woodbuck27
05-12-2018, 01:10 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/5/11/17343908/packers-cb-josh-jackson-mentioned-as-2018-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-candidate-pro-football-focus

Packers CB Josh Jackson mentioned as 2018 Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate

Jackson’s ball skills are the primary reason for his mention in the same breath as a few of the top players in this year’s draft class.

By Evan "Tex" Western@TexWestern May 11, 2018, 9:00am CDT

woodbuck27
05-12-2018, 01:12 AM
i'm really excited about this pick, i think its by far our best one of the draft

jackson seems to be really pissed that he landed in the 2nd, and it already seems like he played with some attitude to begin with

i have a feeling he's gonna be our #1 cb, and maybe be the shutdown. king will take the tall guys, and alexander will supply the flash and big plays

he says he was talking with mike daniels through the whole draft process (both from iowa) it would be great if he brings that same kind of nastiness and leadership to the secondary

This was indeed the BEST Pick in the Draft for Value and Risk.

woodbuck27
05-12-2018, 01:15 AM
Hat tip to Brandon494

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Db1Axw_WAAAt8Xu?format=jpg

Look at that Face..Nasty.

Is he an NFL Ready Ballhawk? Can he track Receiver Routes and defend passes?

I like that 'face' now can he tackle?

The Shadow
05-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Jackson was an excellent pick - especially where we got him.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Jackson was an excellent pick - especially where we got him.

A sloth's a sloth's a sloth. Pretty sure Gute's gonna regret not drafting Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC, the poor man's Claymaker.

red
05-12-2018, 04:47 PM
A sloth's a sloth's a sloth. Pretty sure Gute's gonna regret not drafting Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC, the poor man's Claymaker.

sorry, but not all good CB's run 4.3 40's

Joemailman
05-12-2018, 06:21 PM

Well done. I'm glad you're hyping Jackson before Bretsky got the chance. At least now he's got a chance.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-13-2018, 08:27 AM
sorry, but not all good CB's run 4.3 40's

There are some exceptions but more often than not, the lack of speed usually gets one killed in the NFL. Just ask Mr. Hyde. Watch the game tapes, not highlights, that pb provided. A sloth through and through. Reminds me of Hyde, an abomination at corner.

Jackson was a one-hit wonder at Iowa. Had an nice game against the OSU. That's it. Sure, he scored twice against Wisconsin, but who played QB for the Badgers in that game?

Shoulda drafted Nwosu, or alternatively, Donte Jackson.

smuggler
05-13-2018, 08:35 AM
APB, do you have any takes that *aren't* negative? Or do you just not share them?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-13-2018, 08:57 AM
APB, do you have any takes that *aren't* negative? Or do you just not share them?

I'm a pessimist, so nada. I did grade this draft class with an "A", however. :)

smuggler
05-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Hopefully, wrt Jackson, you are pleasantly surprised! :glug:

pbmax
05-13-2018, 09:23 AM
There are some exceptions but more often than not, the lack of speed usually gets one killed in the NFL. Just ask Mr. Hyde. Watch the game tapes, not highlights, that pb provided. A sloth through and through. Reminds me of Hyde, an abomination at corner.

Jackson was a one-hit wonder at Iowa. Had an nice game against the OSU. That's it. Sure, he scored twice against Wisconsin, but who played QB for the Badgers in that game?

Dude, the two clips in this thread are every defensive play he was in for two entire games. Are you saying you want the commercials included?

Helpful hint: those breakdowns have a highlight feature that shows you where the player in question is before each snap. In case you forgot where shutdown cornerbacks line up.

red
05-13-2018, 09:32 AM

heres nfl.coms ranking of the top cb's in 2017

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916398/article/nfls-top-10-cornerbacks-in-2017-aj-bouye-rules-the-roost

A.J. Bouye 4.55

Chris Harris 4.48

Marcus Peters 4.53

Marshon Lattimore 4.36

Jalen Ramsey 4.41

Xavien Howard 4.41

Trevor Williams 4.45 (pro day)

Patrick Robinson 4.46

Patrick Peterson 4.34

Tre'Davious White 4.47

others

casey hayward 4.57

richard sherman 4.56

tramon 4.57

malcolm butler 4.62

Zool
05-13-2018, 02:12 PM
All you have to do is go back and look at Tanky’s player predictions over the past decade. If he hates the pick, the kid has a real shot. It’s like he’s Bizzaro Bretsy.

Deputy Nutz
05-14-2018, 08:21 AM
When the ball is in the air and the receiver is running down the sideline on a 9 route can Jackson close and make a play on the ball? Can he play as a starting corner with his eyes locked on the receiver? I think he is going to be closer to Casey Heyward type in the nickel package playing zone.

Guiness
05-14-2018, 09:44 AM
I wonder how close Sherman is to 4.56 after those two Achilles surgeries. I'd bet Tramon doesn't run 4.57 anymore either.

Deputy Nutz
05-14-2018, 09:54 AM
After the Combine and pro days does anyone run a 40? I guess a veteran that really want to prove they still got it will run for teams to try and seduce a contract out of them, but if you have to run a forty for a team whats the point?

These 40 times are all bullshit anyways. They all work with track coaches and speed coaches to enhance their times based on perfect form and get off. None of these assholes would dare run this way on an actual football field.

Cheesehead Craig
05-14-2018, 10:00 AM
After the Combine and pro days does anyone run a 40? I guess a veteran that really want to prove they still got it will run for teams to try and seduce a contract out of them, but if you have to run a forty for a team whats the point?

These 40 times are all bullshit anyways. They all work with track coaches and speed coaches to enhance their times based on perfect form and get off. None of these assholes would dare run this way on an actual football field.

The only numbers that matter for these players are the NFL.com draft scores. The rest is all window dressing.

Deputy Nutz
05-14-2018, 10:30 AM
The only numbers that matter for these players are the NFL.com draft scores. The rest is all window dressing.

True that!

red
05-14-2018, 01:45 PM
I wonder how close Sherman is to 4.56 after those two Achilles surgeries. I'd bet Tramon doesn't run 4.57 anymore either.

no way a guy in his mid 30's can run the same as he did in his early 20s. with or without injuries

red
05-14-2018, 01:48 PM

you know, it makes you wonder just how much the combine process hurts a players growth rather then improve it

from the time a guys plays his last college game, he's practicing for the combine drills, not so much working on his game.

andlike you said, after the combine, a guy is never gonna run a 40 or a 3 cone, or do a broad jump, etc

they would be better off working on their game. but money talks

call_me_ishmael
05-14-2018, 04:45 PM
I think they are training for not only speed, but agility, and being an all-around more explosive athlete. That translates to the field.

Radagast
05-17-2018, 03:54 AM
IMO, like most rookies, Jackson and Alexander will spend their 1st season learning and elevating their skills. I believe that Jackson will emerge as GB's top CB as he moves forward into his 2nd campaign. :flag

Fritz
05-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately, Jackson will move into his second campaign slowly - very slowly.

Radagast
05-22-2018, 05:46 AM
Josh Jackson is not and will never be a speed CB, but be brings other talents that will be polished moving forward. IMO, his best talent is that he is a natural football player. He has the heart of a guy that hates to loose and gives 100% on every down. I went and reviewed some of Iowa's 2017 games and saw for myself just how valuable he is going to be. He will not start this season, but he will join Kevin King the following season.

woodbuck27
05-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Yup !

Somehow hahaha, 'eyes straight ahead' doesn't scream good defensive pass 'D'.

woodbuck27
05-22-2018, 01:40 PM
IMO, like most rookies, Jackson and Alexander will spend their 1st season learning and elevating their skills. I believe that Jackson will emerge as GB's top CB as he moves forward into his 2nd campaign. :flag

If they team up and work together in 'the Film Room' and make book on the oppositions Offensive Coordinators style of running an Offense;

By 'Year Three' we might see what we cannot expect this Season and solid DB Play from either of Alexander and Jackson If one or both makes a significant contribution 'in Year Two' I'll be pleased.

NewsBruin
05-24-2018, 01:58 AM
I think they are training for not only speed, but agility, and being an all-around more explosive athlete. That translates to the field.

And I think the 40 dash nowadays is being able to see players' talents on a common event and seeing how they handle the responsibility of prepping for the event.

At this point, every major college team and all the pro scouting departments have the 40 sliced and diced to be able to judge starting reaction, acceleration, and top-end speed with expectations from game tape. They probably can also judge who's been using their time since the bowl game to adapt to ideal running form; versus who gained some chub, is hiding a slight limp every fifth step, and pisses straight THC. Then they all get to either overanalyze or ignore (or both simultaneously) what they saw.

If the combine had all players push a grocery cart up an icy sidewalk in dress shoes, the scouts would find some way to apply that to football skills as well

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 08:45 PM
And I think the 40 dash nowadays is being able to see players' talents on a common event and seeing how they handle the responsibility of prepping for the event.

At this point, every major college team and all the pro scouting departments have the 40 sliced and diced to be able to judge starting reaction, acceleration, and top-end speed with expectations from game tape. They probably can also judge who's been using their time since the bowl game to adapt to ideal running form; versus who gained some chub, is hiding a slight limp every fifth step, and pisses straight THC. Then they all get to either overanalyze or ignore (or both simultaneously) what they saw.

If the combine had all players push a grocery cart up an icy sidewalk in dress shoes, the scouts would find some way to apply that to football skills as well

Nice post.

Repped