Oren Burks
Outside linebacker
SCHOOL: VANDERBILT | CONFERENCE: SEC
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-3 / 233 | 40: 4.59 | DRAFT YR:2018
Rankings
GRADE 3.60
PROJECTED ROUND 3rd

Bio:
Four-year starter who played a different positions in each of his final three seasons at Vanderbilt. Made 82 tackles (seven for loss) with one interception, one sack and three pass breakups as an inside linebacker in 2017. Posted 59 tackles (6.5 for loss), one interception, three sacks, one forced fumble and six PBUs as a junior while playing a hybrid linebacker/safety role. Played free safety in 2015 and led the team with three interceptions while recording 59 tackles, one forced fumble and six pass breakups. Started seven games as a redshirt freshman and made 37 tackles with a team-high seven PBUs.

Pos:
Athletic run-and-chase linebacker with an underrated game. Fluid, covers a lot of area on the field and shows speed laterally. Quickly gets out to the sidelines in pursuit, flies around the action and sells out to make tackles. Forceful upfield on the blitz, nicely redirects to the ball carrier and gives effort against the run. Leads by example and has shown consistent progress.

Neg:
Lacks great bulk and strength. Handled by blockers and engulfed at the point. Does not consistently bring ball carriers down at the point of contact. Occasionally misreads the action.

Analysis:
Formerly a defensive back, Burks nicely made the transition to linebacker and has shown continual improvement. He offers adequate size and growth potential and is a multi-scheme linebacker with potential as a three-down defender.

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Burks versus Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IajeL8bdQ

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:52 PM
versus Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViPNk8aNbjg

ND72
04-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Burks was 3rd round

Bretsky
04-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Wasn't he a third round pick ?

pbmax
04-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Wasn't he a third round pick ?

I don't know what you are talking about.

You must be tired.

Bretsky
04-27-2018, 09:59 PM
I don't know what you are talking about.

You must be tired.

Still hallucinating................did I see...........Brad Jones tonight ?

pbmax
04-27-2018, 10:01 PM
Still hallucinating................did I see...........Brad Jones tonight ?

That actually happened.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2018, 04:11 AM
Alotta Pack fans love Martinez, but the dude can’t cover worth a fuck.

Burks seems like he has some coverage Kung fu. I kinda like this pick.

pbmax
04-28-2018, 07:31 AM
Packer Report @PackerReport
#Packers will have another pick tonight. No. 88 of the third for 101 of the fourth and 147of the fifth. No. 101 was pole position for tomorrow.

Jimmy Johnson Chart Answer:

Trade Totals
Panther Gives Value: 150
Packer Gives Value: 128.6

Gain/Loss %
Panther: -14.27%
Packer: +16.64%

pbmax
04-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Chase Stuart redid the chart using average value for players over the years. That chart lessens the value of the top picks and increases the value of the middle rounds: http://www.footballperspective.com/draft-value-chart/

By his chart, the Packers paid a 31% premium, giving up 8 points of AV for 6.1 points in return.
http://www.footballperspective.com/draft-pick-value-calculator/

pbmax
04-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Burks' visit "cemented" the team's thoughts on Burks, John Wojciechowski says.

"The athleticism, I keep going back to that," John Wojciechowski says of Burks. Has the skill-set to match up on tight ends, though mainly played zone at Vandy.

Gutekunst on Burks: "This is no small man." Was best tester at the position, though. "We think his best football is ahead of him."

wist43
04-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Good thing i was in the hospital when this pick was announced... might've died from WTFism!!!

They drafted him on his combine and athleticism, coz as a football player he is likely the worst to ever put on a pair of shoulder pads.

Worst football player I think I've ever tried watch... I don't think any amount of coaching can straighten this basket case out. I seriously doubt he ever contributes from scrimmage. If he is on the field from scrimmage, hold your breath coz some terrible football is about to overwhelm you.

Horrible, horrible pick.

The kid is a great athlete - an OMG bad football player.

Bossman641
04-28-2018, 07:51 AM
Not very impressed by his tape. Maybe he has all this speed and agility, but he is so tentative you never really see it.

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 07:52 AM
^^^ Better to be fast and bad than slow and bad. Janis ST replacement?

I enjoy the negativity. But remember, when you have a negative attitude you only get to be right when you lose. :)

red
04-28-2018, 08:23 AM
for as decent as those few write ups make him sounds, i can barely find anything on him.

athlon sports draft magazine didn't have him in it, draft ace doesn't have him listed, almost nothing anywhere

pbmax
04-28-2018, 08:25 AM
for as decent as those few write ups make him sounds, i can barely find anything on him.

athlon sports draft magazine didn't have him in it, draft ace doesn't have him listed, almost nothing anywhere

Then we should go into business with Nutz, madscientist and jklowan because they had him in the draft contest. Gonna guess each had a list of Packers pre-draft visits.

Bretsky
04-28-2018, 08:28 AM

not exciting
this of all of our shit 3rd round picks we've had
this guy is there later IMO so basically we just gave away a 5th

pbmax
04-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Other cut up of Burks versus Alabama, cannot find anything on him from 2016 at safety for coverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGWOR2O0z4

pbmax
04-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Were there any Vanderbilt defenders drafted last year? Might find him on some else's cutups.

red
04-28-2018, 08:52 AM
i would have rather stood pat and drafted shaquem with the 1st pick in the 4th

he is everything they hope burk will turn into

red
04-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Were there any Vanderbilt defenders drafted last year? Might find him on some else's cutups.

zach cunningham

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2018, 08:55 AM
I watched two films on this kid and I didn't see him hit a single soul. He looked very confused like it was the first time he played football was 2017

red
04-28-2018, 08:59 AM
this pick seems like that classic, fakerall, carl bradford type of pick in the middle rounds that makes no fucking sense, and doesn't work out in the end

wist43
04-28-2018, 08:59 AM
not exciting
this of all of our shit 3rd round picks we've had
this guy is there later IMO so basically we just gave away a 5th

He looks lost most of the time, takes terrible angles, is a poor and weak tackler... as a football player, there is exactly nothing to like. As an athlete, he is a top pick...

He had a great combine. I've thought for years that the packers overvalue the combine... was hoping the regime change would put an end to that; but, apparently not.

I loved what Gute did in FA and on day 1, but the Burks pick has TT and bust written all over it. Based on what I've seen of the kid, he shouldn't have even been drafted let alone a trade up 3rd rd pick.

Just a terrible pick.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:07 AM
The wild card is Pettine. I don't have any idea at all about what he values most at what positions. He must see something in Burks that I don't. Even Alexander and Jackson and different style players. Alexander is a speed-burner cover guy and Jackson seems to be a slower zone-type guy.

But then what do I know? Not much. hahaha

George Cumby
04-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Fire TT!

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 09:19 AM
I loved what Gute did in FA and on day 1, but the Burks pick has TT and bust written all over it.

Not really. TT liked the slow white guys who he hoped would vicariously reimagine and enhance his own marginal career.

red
04-28-2018, 09:20 AM
from walter football

Oren Burks, ILB, Vanderbilt
Height: 6-2. Weight: 228. Arm: 32.75. Hand: 9.
40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2018): 3-5.
4/25/18: Sources from multiple teams have told me that Burks impressed them during 2017. They like his combination of size, quickness and instincts. He could be a nice mid-round value pick.

Burks totaled 82 tackles with seven tackles for a loss, one interception and three passes broken up in 2017. In 2016, he formed a potent linebacking tandem with Zach Cunningham. That season, Burks notched 59 tackles with 3.5 sacks and six passes broken up. He displayed some coverage and ball skills over his whole career, making six more breakups as a sophomore and seven as a freshman.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018ILB.php#ixzz5DycxfyRi

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018ILB.php#4jRtIuFs3wTcXJsS.99

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 09:21 AM
The wild card is Pettine. I don't have any idea at all about what he values most at what positions. He must see something in Burks that I don't. Even Alexander and Jackson and different style players. Alexander is a speed-burner cover guy and Jackson seems to be a slower zone-type guy.

But then what do I know? Not much. hahaha

http://cdn1.thecomeback.com/freezingcoldtakes/wp-content/uploads/sites/187/2017/02/488991381-832x447.jpg

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:24 AM
^^^^Is that Burks or Alexander? LOL

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 09:27 AM
^^^^Is that Burks or Alexander? LOL

No, it's Justin Gilbert, the bust corner who Poutine wanted in Cleveland and whose measurables match Alexander.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2018, 09:30 AM

+1

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 09:31 AM
No, it's Justin Gilbert, the bust corner who Poutine wanted in Cleveland and whose measurables match Alexander.Damn, that's not good.

I also don't get Alexander from the injury-prone standpoint. He seems like a lightweight and fragile. Any bets how many weeks he plays before...well, you know what I mean.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2018, 09:50 AM
Not really. TT liked the slow white guys who he hoped would vicariously reimagine and enhance his own marginal career.

Yep. That notion inspired this:

You Remind Me of Myself
(Copyright 2009-ish, Tank Elf Duke)

You can’t blitz, you can’t cover, and you cant shed blocks (Hawk)
But you remind me of myself
You are fat, you are ugly, and you’re always hurt (Harrell)
You are cocky, you're fragile, and you choke in the clutch (A-Rod)

Polar Bear, Polar Bear
Hibernating in the closet
Giving birth, giving birth
To a whole new generation of motherrockers

You love God, you're not Moss, and you were so rocking open (Jennings)
You are white, you talk black, and you can’t hold Billy Schroeder’s jockstrap (Nelson)
You are gone, your arm’s weak, and you’re the rock-up of the century (Brohm)

Polar Bear, Polar Bear

You play fast, you are dumb, and you’re so rocking underpaid (Collins)
You play high, you smoke pot, and you love BJs (Raji)
You're immature, you're going bald, and your offspring's gonna be mulatto (J-Mike)

Polar Bear, Polar Bear

Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
You’re so hot with your shirt off

George Cumby
04-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Yep. That notion inspired this:

You Remind Me of Myself
(Copyright 2009-ish, Tank Elf Duke)

You can’t blitz, you can’t cover, and you cant shed blocks (Hawk)
You are fat, you are ugly, and you’re always hurt (Harrell)
You are cocky, you're fragile, and you choke in the clutch (A-Rod)

Polar Bear, Polar Bear

You love God, you're not Moss, and you were so rocking open (Jennings)
You are white, you talk black, and you can’t hold Billy Schroeder’s jockstrap (Nelson)
You are gone, your arm’s weak, and you’re the rock-up of the century (Brohm)

Polar Bear, Polar Bear

You play fast, you are dumb, and you’re so rocking underpaid (Collins)
You play high, you smoke pot, and you love BJs (Raji)
You're immature, you're going bald, and your offspring's gonna be mulatto (J-Mike)

Polar Bear, Polar Bear

Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
Tim Tebow!
You’re so hot with your shirt off

Don’t quit your day job.

run pMc
04-28-2018, 11:02 AM
So he's Joe Thomas' replacement and will push Martinez for the dime backer role, with Josh Jones moving full time to safety.
Don't know anything about this guy other than his measurables are very good, and he supposedly is a good character.

The Shadow
04-28-2018, 11:05 AM
I get the feeling that Willy Wonka's squirrels are now warily examining him in the walnut-cracking room.

red
04-28-2018, 11:23 AM
So he's Joe Thomas' replacement and will push Martinez for the dime backer role, with Josh Jones moving full time to safety.
Don't know anything about this guy other than his measurables are very good, and he supposedly is a good character.

there was a much more athletic even higher character ILB on the board at the time

almost everyone we draft is described as a team leader. if everyone on the team is a leader, does that create a power struggle? whos the leader of all the leaders? do you have different factions in the team following different leaders?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipsPgNEmAXI

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2018, 11:41 AM
We'll see. He's uber athletic and definitely has cover ability. To start, I think he upgrades a position that has been a thorn in the Packers side (nickel/dime ILB). Maybe he improves enough that he eventually gives you three down ability.

woodbuck27
04-28-2018, 11:44 AM
Well he is athletic as his measurements are impressive.

He'll be nice for the Packer Dressing Room and be voted Mr. Congeniality' and one day possibly Mayor of Green Bay.

Goot has been a giving away MOOD this past two days. :whaa:

Let's see if he gave his head a good shale by this Morning? :-|

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2018, 11:47 AM
there was a much more athletic even higher character ILB on the board at the time

Sorry, but outside of the first 40 time, Burks is a much better athlete than Griffin. Burks beat him in the 3-cone, crushed him in the vertical and broad jump, and likely would have had a much better shuttle. Griffin didn't test in the shuttle, but Burks had the second best shuttle among LBs. Watching Griffin in the drills, I doubt he would have come close to Burks. Burks was much more fluid in drills.

woodbuck27
04-28-2018, 01:55 PM
The Canuck went in Round Three:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nathan-shepherd?id=32462018-0002-5598-92f8-36ce2fecd601

https://imagecomposer.nfl.com/?l=http://static.nfl.com/static/content/static/img/combine/2018/headshots/1400x1000/2559892.png&f=png&w=308&c=71

NATHAN SHEPHERD - FORT HAYS ST. - GRADE - Prospect Grade = 5.70

NEW YORK JETS - Round 3 ‧and Pick 8 and Pick NO. 72 Overall.

Pick Analysis

Round 3 • Pick 8 (72)

One of my favorite players of this draft. Built like the Canadian Rockies. This guy got double-teamed almost every snap. He's a raw piece of clay and he's got this NFL-ready body and explosion, some inside-out versatility and I love his upside. --Mike Mayock

Overview

Shepherd is raw, but he could be well worth a team's time as a day two selection thanks to his NFL-caliber traits and his flashes as a pass rusher. Shepherd lined up inside in college, but may be better suited as a 4i or five-technique in a 3-4 front. While he won't be ready early on, he has the ability to become a productive NFL starter and his practices at the Senior Bowl showed that he could handle the step up in competition.

bobblehead
04-28-2018, 01:59 PM

Red, you must be sober cuz I agree 100%. Shaq is gonna be a player. One hand isn't the negative they make it out to be....from a=1st round talent/production to the 4th...or even 5th. If it was that big of a negative you would never see a guy play with a club...or JPP would have retired. Guys play with one hand all the time and coaches trot them out there...Shaq has spent a lifetime learning how to do it rightl.

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 02:01 PM
Red, you must be sober cuz I agree 100%. Shaq is gonna be a player. One hand isn't the negative they make it out to be....from a=1st round talent/production to the 4th...or even 5th. If it was that big of a negative you would never see a guy play with a club...or JPP would have retired. Guys play with one hand all the time and coaches trot them out there...Shaq has spent a lifetime learning how to do it rightl.

Damn straight! Plus Chubb says you can fit him with a perfectly effective prosthetic!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OydcTYAc2-Y/maxresdefault.jpg

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:03 PM
GBPG: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/04/25/2018-nfl-draft-green-bay-packers-picks/552404002/

HT: 6-3 WT: 233 40-yard dash: 4.59

THE TRADE: In a trade with Carolina, the Packers moved up to No. 88 in the third round while giving the Panthers a pair of picks: No. 101 (fourth round) and No. 147 (fifth round).

QUICK TAKE: Started out as a free safety, then played a rover position and then finished as an inside linebacker. He played all over the field at Vanderbilt and had 82 tackles, including seven for loss and a sack as a senior. Another player with speed and long arms who should be able to function in various roles. Burks is that intelligent player Pettine needs to run his defense. He'll probably be a dime ILB. Used to play safety. 4.59 speed.

Fritz
04-28-2018, 09:36 PM
He compares favorably to former Packer Joe Thomas...

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 06:36 AM
He will replace Burnett/Jones at ILB on passing downs to cover TEs and RBs. Tells me they want to keep Jones mainly at safety this season. Love the pick though, if he can get stronger and continue to learn the position he can be a full time starter for us down the road.

Pugger
04-29-2018, 09:23 AM
After reading all of these threads about our picks it appears Gute screwed up his first draft and he's a TT clone so we are still screwed unless Rodgers plays out of his mind only to crash in the playoffs yet again.

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 09:28 AM
After reading all of these threads about our picks it appears Gute screwed up his first draft and he's a TT clone so we are still screwed unless Rodgers plays out of his mind only to crash in the playoffs yet again.

We had one of the top 5 drafts in the whole league imo.

Pugger
04-29-2018, 09:32 AM
We had one of the top 5 drafts in the whole league imo.

Yes I know but if you only read the posts from most of the guys here you would think ours was one of the worst.

Maxie the Taxi
04-29-2018, 09:36 AM
We had one of the top 5 drafts in the whole league imo.According to PFF (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades) we might have had the best draft in the league: "Green Bay is one team with a real case for ‘winning’ the 2018 NFL Draft." They give us an "Elite" rating.

Not too shabby.

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 12:42 PM
According to PFF (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades) we might have had the best draft in the league: "Green Bay is one team with a real case for ‘winning’ the 2018 NFL Draft." They give us an "Elite" rating.

Not too shabby.

I think most people are pretty surprised NO gave us that #1 pick and that has a lot to do with the higher eval. But it all depends. If Davenport plays like Julius Peppers, and they win the Super Bowl, Pack doesn't look so hot. Alternatively, they suck donkey balls, and we get Derrick Thomas with their #1 next year.

Maxie the Taxi
04-29-2018, 01:47 PM
I think most people are pretty surprised NO gave us that #1 pick and that has a lot to do with the higher eval. But it all depends. If Davenport plays like Julius Peppers, and they win the Super Bowl, Pack doesn't look so hot. Alternatively, they suck donkey balls, and we get Derrick Thomas with their #1 next year.I'll ease your mind. Davenport is gonna be a bust. Bank on it.:-)

woodbuck27
04-29-2018, 02:01 PM

This is a comprehensive ANALYSIS of Brian Gutekunst's decision to Trade up for his Third Round Pick at NO. 88.

At the time he made that decision; I was surprised; hoping they would simply call it a day and be 'locked and loaded' for Day Three and the NO. 1 Pick on that day. A whole night to ensure that NO. 101 Overall Pick was the Perfect fit.

If they had 'a Hard On' :-) for LBer Oren Burks, Vanderbilt; maybe some Intel made them think they had to trade into Round Three and grab him, before he was lifted off the Board in Round Three?

Here's the Transaction and results:

The Green Bay PACKERS Traded • 2018 fourth round pick (#101-Ian Thomas) • 2018 fifth round pick (#147-Micah Kiser) to Panthers for • 2018 third round pick (#88-Oren Burks) on 2018-04-27

Maybe? The Packers were targeting EDGE Arden Key, who went off the Board to the Oakland Raiders at Pick NO. 23 in Rd. 3 and Pick NO. 87 Overall.

Taking a look back at Round !:

Note how in Round One the Packers moved from NO. 27 >>> NO. 18, to pick CB Jaire Alexander and did so right after two STUDS ' ALL WORLD ' ILB TREMAINE EDMUNDS and STUD Safety DERWIN JAMES flew off the DRaft Board.

Looking back at the Draft and the remainder of Round 3 and after the Packers moved up for OLB Oren Burks:

Who was there after Oren Burks Prospect Grade 5.46 was selected:

OLB DORIAN O'DANIEL, CLEMSON - Prospect Grade 5.50 was Picked at the end of Round Three at Pick NO. 100 Overall by Kansas City.

OT's Joseph Noteboom, TCU - Prospect Grade 5.75 went NO. 89 And Chuks Okorafor, Michigan - Prospect Grade 5.60 NO. 92 Overall. GUARD Alex Cappa,Humboldt State - Prospect Grade 5.52 went at NO. 94.

NOTE:

Alabama Safety Ronnie Harrison slipped all the way to Rd. 3 and Pick NO. 93 Overall. T

The Safeties selected before Ronnie Harrison:

Safety Justin Reid at Pick NO. 68 Overall. S Tracy Walker, Louisiana - Lafayette went at NO. 82 and Safety Rashaan Gaulden, Tennessee at NO. 85.

Safety Tavarious Moore , s. Miss went NO. 95.

Who was available in Round Four and Pick NO. 101 and the start of Day Three?:

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks?round=4

TE - IAN THOMAS - INDIANA - Prospect Grade = 5.82 and he was the Pick @ NO. 101 Overall or the Pick the Packers used to trade up to NO. 88 and select OLB Oren Burks.

EDGE - DORANCE ARMSTRONG, KANSAS - Prospect Grade 5.55

WR's Antonio Callaway, Florida - Prospect Grade 5.60 and DAESEAN HAMILTON, PENN ST. Prospect Grade 5.70

DE - JALYN HOLMES, OHIO ST. Prospect Grade 5.71

So there you go and frankly given that the Packers surrendered another Pick or Round Five and NO.147- that became ILB Micah Kiser, Virginia - Prospect Grade 5.59 to the Carolina Panthers

ILB - Micah Kizer's Profile:

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks?pick=10&round=5

Pick Analysis ... Round 5 • Pick 10 (147)

The Rams had to leave this draft with at least one linebacker and Micah Kiser has starter-level diagnostic and tackling ability. He's not flashy, but there's a good chance he is the first Rams rookie to see the field next season. --Mark Dulgerian

Note that the Packers Pic at the TOP of Round Five was OL- GUARD, COLE MADISON- WASHINGTON ST. Prospect Grade

So clearly after this analysis I question the Packers GM Brian Gutekunst moving up the board into Round Three and Pick NO. 88. GOOT gave up Picks NO. 101 and 147 to select an OLB Oren Burks Graded well below two other Prospects that he could have acquired.

In my analysis Packer GM Brian Gutekunst made this move too expeditiously. In other words he gave away far too much Pick Value and got far less for that move.

In simple Mathematical Terms:

He literally traded two 5.7 Graded Prospect (s) for one less than 5.5 Graded Prospect.

11.4 is > 2 X greater than < 5.5. It's simple MATH !

That makes little common sense and in my Final Analysis:

Packer GM Brian Burke 'on paper blew this move and acquisition of OLB Oren Burks.

This is his First NFL DRAFT wearing 'the Packer Big Boy Pants'. He's allowed to screw up.

He'll get over the top too much praise in spite of clear analysis that will make a solid case that 'in fact' the Packers got less than they had right there and available to them. Packer Nation cannot be fooled by Analysts that have bought into the way of the NFL now and collusion and what appears to me as the 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours 32 Team hand shake. :???:

I'm a former Math Teacher. I worked in Engineering and 'the POWER Industry' for a lot of my Career. Math is all around us. You need to use Math too often to make decisions. Packer GM Brian Gutekunst obviously missed this TRUTH.

I'll give him time. :pack:

woodbuck27

I also want to comment on this:

I got thinking about all the passion and the hype that UCF linebacker Shaquem Griffin received and I'l be pulling fpr this Guy in Seattle. I like what this GUY brings to the NFL in terms of his passion and determination alone he's a credit to the game of football and the NFL.

** Please ** don't take this the wrong way, as I'm writing this in all seriousness.

I got thinking about Shaquem Griffin and why did he slip so far down the Draft Board, given how he plays the game? Being picked by Seattle to join his Twin Brother is the story of this 2018 Draft. The HYPE that whole thing got before, during and after the Draft was incredible.

Round 5 • Pick 4 ( and Pick NO. 141 Overall ) OLB - Shaquem Griffin

" How many people predicted this pick? The 'Hawks were not shy about their interest in Shaquem during the pre-draft process. He'll join his Twin brother Shaquill Griffin in Seattle but, more importantly, he adds speed to a rebuilding defense. " -- Mark Dulgerian

Why are teams not PLEASED to get a value prospect with one hand missing? :huh:

I get why my First Round evaluated Interior DL Maurice Hurst, Michigan (and the Heart and Leader of that Team) fell way down the Draft Board and was selected by OAKLAND one spot above OLB Shaquem Griffin. It was announced by someone on the Draft Announcing Crew that Maurice Hurst was actually removed from all 32 NFL Teams Boards. I felt that News SUCKED. This was a Guy that was heavily invested in football and it's his life. It's not the life of the NFL to be Parental and I understand the conscience end of selecting a passionate and talented player at a HIGH Draft position and all of the RISK factor weighed in and selecting every Pick prudently.

** Let's look closer at OLB Shaquem Griffin and in terms of a very common NFL Penalty:

HOLDING is one of the most common penalties in football. RE: NFL :

When holding is committed by the 'D', the penalty is 5 yards and an automatic first down.

A HOLDING offense committed by a Team's Offense from within it's own END ZONE results in a SAFETY called against the offending Team.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2018, 02:21 PM
I'm telling ya'all, Burks is gonna be a OLB, not an ILB. His weakness is strength at the point of attack; His strength is speed turning the corner. That says OLB.

woodbuck27
04-29-2018, 02:41 PM
I'm telling ya'all, Burks is gonna be a OLB, not an ILB. His weakness is strength at the point of attack; His strength is speed turning the corner. That says OLB.

I'm pulling for him but the COST to get him was too high..much too high and very likely unnecessary.

Hindsight is.....20/20 ! :idea:

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 02:57 PM
I got thinking about Shaquem Griffin and why did he slip so far down the Draft Board, given how he plays the game?

I'll give you one guess

Zool
04-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Yes I know but if you only read the posts from most of the guys here you would think ours was one of the worst.

It’s the same every year.

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Conservatives wanted the Packers to Draft both Edmunds and Burke.*

*(yes, I know that's lame....)

Maxie the Taxi
04-29-2018, 04:24 PM
I'm telling ya'all, Burks is gonna be a OLB, not an ILB. His weakness is strength at the point of attack; His strength is speed turning the corner. That says OLB.I think his strength is his weakness. That says ST.

woodbuck27
04-29-2018, 07:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkvrb8zO5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPEcpb7K64I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt2nHWkNfWg

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Burks will remain at ILB replacing Joe Thomas. We still have Vince Biegel, Reggie Gilbert, Fackrell, and Odom at OLB. Biegel could be a nice surprise and Gilbert came on late to end the season. Will be a make or break year for Fackrell but don’t expect much .

pbmax
05-11-2018, 08:50 AM
The offense in KC last year had Tyreek Hill. The OC there, Nagy, is the Bears new coach and he has Tarik Cohen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2775054-mitchell-trubisky-is-primed-to-be-nfls-breakout-sophomore

The result is an ILB like Burks getting drafted. He might not even be the coverage on someone like Hill or Cohen, but he will be covering someone.

bobblehead
05-11-2018, 11:40 AM
My take is something like this. Coaches are in love with themselves and always believe they can turn an athlete into a football player. GMs salivate at the better athlete becoming a football player. Bottom line is this. A good football player is almost a guarantee to become a better athlete with conditioning and drills. A good athlete is less likely to gain instincts.

pbmax
05-11-2018, 12:17 PM
My take is something like this. Coaches are in love with themselves and always believe they can turn an athlete into a football player. GMs salivate at the better athlete becoming a football player. Bottom line is this. A good football player is almost a guarantee to become a better athlete with conditioning and drills. A good athlete is less likely to gain instincts.

I think its more complicated than that. Scouts prefer ready made NFL prospects who play in known college systems that translate to the NFL.

GMs and analytics guys prefer to weed out marginal athletic performance unless production on field is undeniable (plus known college system and translatable to NFL).

Coaches love guys who fit their system. McCarthy is already in love with DeShone Kizer because he is big enough and has a big arm. He thought Hundley had enough of that, but he turned out not to be salvageable in the current timeframe.

In order, the problems are:
1. Coaches and their systems. 130 some schools play college football and 1/3 to 1/2 get good production from the QB spot and their offense. NFL coaches look at that and say "This guy is not tall enough to be a pocket QB". See McVay in LA with Goff (after Fisher and his OC tried to ruin him) as an example. Or Wilson and Seattle. NEVER occurs to them that "system" is the problem.

2. I am more convinced than ever that scouts actually aren't evaluating players production and tape. They are spies. They want to know what the volleyball coach says. Better people can watch the tape at HQ and call the coaches to find out if the kid is dedicated. There is some value to seeing this in person, but most of the emphasis seems to be on rumor.

3. GM. Suffers to some degree from being a former scout. Has analytics guys telling you that marginal athletic prospect from Power 5 school has probably maxed out and you have a better chance of hitting late taking a junior/senior year injury guy or a small school guy to help. Still likes "football players" more than he should (AJ Hawk).

wist43
05-16-2018, 09:21 PM
Any update on the worst football player on the planet??

How did he look in the post-draft workouts??

I really do hope he can play... we're so desperate at LB, but honestly I just don't see much hope with this guy. If he flames out - I think that would be evidence enough to support firing more people from the scouting dept.

mraynrand
05-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Any update on the worst football player on the planet??

lol

Smidgeon
05-16-2018, 10:03 PM
The Packers.com guy said that Moore, Burks, and Alexander were the rookies that looked like they belonged at the rookie camp.

Obviously it means nothing until they're going against veterans in full gear, but it's a start.

wist43
05-17-2018, 07:02 AM
The Packers.com guy said that Moore, Burks, and Alexander were the rookies that looked like they belonged at the rookie camp.

Obviously it means nothing until they're going against veterans in full gear, but it's a start.

I have no doubt Burks looks like a HOF'er in drills. Based on the combine, he was a 1st rd pick. Based on his actual football tape, he's a bartender.

mraynrand
05-17-2018, 07:20 AM
I have no doubt Burks looks like a HOF'er in drills. Based on the combine, he was a 1st rd pick. Based on his actual football tape, he's a bartender.

He's no Tom Cruise

Joemailman
05-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Burks will initially be the dime linebacker. If he wants to be a starter, he'll need to improve his tackling and diagnosis of running plays. He should benefit from getting to focus on one position, instead of switching positions as he was doing during much of his college career. He's still learning how to play ILB. And he should be a ST stud.

The Shadow
05-17-2018, 10:19 AM

A most excellent quote! I bet it is picked up quickly & becomes a widely-used one.

run pMc
05-17-2018, 10:31 AM
He's a bigger, faster Joe Thomas. By the middle of NEXT season we'll know if he's any good or not.

Fritz
05-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Damned with faint praise.

pbmax
05-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Damned with faint praise.

Not yet. No one on the team has said he best trait is remaining calm as players run past you.

wist43
05-17-2018, 08:52 PM
He's a bigger, faster Joe Thomas. By the middle of NEXT season we'll know if he's any good or not.

I liked Thomas as a player... he was just a bit undersized, and didn't have any other special attributes (speed, quickness) to compensate for his lack of size.

Burks on the other hand, has all of the athletic ability in the world... but his game tape that we can see is just awful. Surely the Packer scouts saw much more tape than we did, but good gravy, the tape we can see is horrific.

I'm hoping the guy is better than we can see on some of his college tape, but I just don't know how you explain the bad angles, missed tackles, apparent complete lack of instincts??

It's like he's never seen the game of football played before, and they just threw him out there and said 'run around'. Just a complete train wreck.

pbmax
05-18-2018, 07:08 AM
I liked Thomas as a player... he was just a bit undersized, and didn't have any other special attributes (speed, quickness) to compensate for his lack of size.

Burks on the other hand, has all of the athletic ability in the world... but his game tape that we can see is just awful. Surely the Packer scouts saw much more tape than we did, but good gravy, the tape we can see is horrific.

I'm hoping the guy is better than we can see on some of his college tape, but I just don't know how you explain the bad angles, missed tackles, apparent complete lack of instincts??

It's like he's never seen the game of football played before, and they just threw him out there and said 'run around'. Just a complete train wreck.

Did you watch him as a safety?

wist43
05-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Did you watch him as a safety?

Post a link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFxmAdyKcg

George Cumby
05-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Not yet. No one on the team has said he best trait is remaining calm as players run past you.

But is his body responding the way he wants it to?

pbmax
05-18-2018, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=wist43;976258]Post a link...

Always waiting for others to do your work for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkvrb8zO5Q

pbmax
05-18-2018, 01:28 PM
And here he is in run support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC_rQsNm9l0