PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Packers Fifth.2 Round Pick JK Scott

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:16 PM
THE PICK: JK SCOTT, P, ALABAMA
HT: 6-6 WT: 208 40-yard dash: 4.83

QUICK TAKE (Tom Silverstein): Scott is the second rated punter in the draft, but I don't really get this selection. At least they didn't take him in the third (B.J. Sander). Talking to Ron Zook, you always got the idea that he thought Vogel was too inconsistent. I just figured that's because he was a rookie. But they must think this kid can be a difference maker. One thing about JK Scott. He can kickoff. That could be a factor in the Packers' decision. Packers are on the clock again... let's see if it's a long snapper to go with their punter.

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Projected Round: 4
Stock: Rated number 2 out of 41 P's, 119 / 2196 TOTAL

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6055
Weight: 208

PD3X AKA "Official"
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.83
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.81
20 Yard (ET): 2.81
20 Yard (HH): 2.71
10 Yard (ET): 1.68
10 Yard (HH): 1.71

225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.41
3-Cone Drill: 7.28

If nothing else he can help the FG block team.

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:20 PM
STRENGTHS
Possesses excellent size for the position with a long, lanky frame. Punts boom off his foot, with Scott whipping his leg through the ball and nearly hitting himself in the helmet with his foot due to above average flexibility, extension and follow-through. Routinely drives the ball 60+ yards in the air with observers at the Senior Bowl often forced to duck for cover as he left the ballpark... Showed improved touch and trajectory in 2017, with approximately half of his punts being fair caught after just a quarter of them in 2016... Assumed kickoff duties in 2017 with Good directional punter, showing the ability to pin returners near the sideline. Varies his drop, showing the ability to deaden the ball and leave it bouncing backward for teammates to corral... Was a placekicker in high school and has the experience to convert to this role in a pinch, converting one field goal (48 yards) and making all 10 of his PAT attempts, including eight in 2017... Possesses the length and athleticism (among punters) to provide help on coverage units with four tackles to his credit... -- Rob Rang 2/8/2018

WEAKNESSES
Raised his drop point a few inches in 2017, creating more spin on the ball but more inconsistency, as well... For a player with his reputation, Scott showed too many mental errors on tape, including shanks in which the ball simply comes off the side of his foot and dropped holds for the field goal kicker, including notably against rival Auburn in 2017 that Scott compounded with an ill-conceived pass to the kicker that went for a loss of nine yards. Has some experience as field goal kicker, himself, but was just one of four over his career...- Rob Rang 2/8/2018

IN OUR VIEW
Scott not only boasts the size and leg strength to continue punting in the NFL, his experience on kickoffs and even on field goals and PATs could come in handy in a pinch. Scott, Alabama's all-time leading punter, is like many of Nick Saban's top recruits - soon to be cashing NFL paychecks.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 03:28 PM
The more I read the more I like this pick. I hope Scott knows he'll be punting a stone in GB compared to a football in Alabama.

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:33 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
One thing about JK Scott. He can kickoff. That could be a factor in the Packers' decision.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Mighty tall to be holding for Crosby.

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Packer Report @PackerReport
The Packers' new punter's parents have a lake house near Hayward. Been in family since dad was a kid - 50-60 years. Grandma lives in Madison. Big Packers fan growing up. "We have 10 cheeseheads at home." Saw one game here.

Everything comes back to Hayward. Or Eagle River.

red
04-28-2018, 03:57 PM
Packer Report @PackerReport
The Packers' new punter's parents have a lake house near Hayward. Been in family since dad was a kid - 50-60 years. Grandma lives in Madison. Big Packers fan growing up. "We have 10 cheeseheads at home." Saw one game here.

Everything comes back to Hayward. Or Eagle River.

i have an aunt and uncle that life in hayward

eerie

pbmax
04-28-2018, 03:57 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
New #Packers P JK Scott's dad went to Madison West H.S. and was a pole vaulter for the #Badgers. Family has a lake home in Hayward, WI.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2018, 04:07 PM

eerieWasn't Ed Gein from Hayward?

SMBASS
04-28-2018, 04:33 PM
At least he's a fairly fast punter. 4.81 40 time isn't bad for that position. Hope the kid turns into an All-Pro and becomes a field-flipping, goal-line pinning weapon at a position we won't have to worry about for the next 10-15 years.

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 04:41 PM

eerie

Well do they life in Hayward or Erie?

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 04:42 PM
At least he's a fairly fast punter. 4.81 40 time isn't bad for that position. Hope the kid turns into an All-Pro and becomes a field-flipping, goal-line pinning weapon at a position we won't have to worry about for the next 10-15 years.

Finally some optimism around here!

esoxx
04-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Wasn't Ed Gein from Hayward?

Plainfield

Fritz
04-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Justin Vogel, we hardly knew ye.

Smidgeon
04-28-2018, 09:44 PM

Well, the new guy has to show it against an NFL rush first. He could be a field flipper, or he could get the yips and not put it together until his third team.

I'm hoping for the first.

mraynrand
04-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Vogel was only good because of Janis at gunner. They had to draft a real punter because they let Janis go to pursue his eventual All Pro, HOF WR career elsewhere.

George Cumby
04-28-2018, 11:33 PM

You never know, we may need to keep two punters on the roster for some reason.

pbmax
04-29-2018, 12:01 AM
You never know, we may need to keep two punters on the roster for some reason.

I'm gonna go protest with wist if that happens again.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-29-2018, 05:29 AM
How many fucking punters have donned the Green and Gold since Todd foolishly cut that Canuck Jon Ryan?

Joseph F Chris! Thompson was the mother of incompetence!

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 06:38 AM
I like it, kid is huge with a leg to match. Yes I would have rather went after an edge rusher but I understand upgrading the STs.

wootah
04-29-2018, 07:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2J4mg_Ayc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQXKql72e7E

Seems like a pretty religious guy...

smuggler
04-29-2018, 07:23 AM
How many fucking punters have donned the Green and Gold since Todd foolishly cut that Canuck Jon Ryan?

How foolish was it? Jon Ryan was a bad punter when he was with us. He single-handedly lost a game against the Bears by having two punts blocked, one returned for a TD, one punt for 9 yards, and fumbling a snap on a punt.

Fritz
04-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Punters are like wine. They take years to develop. Watch Vogel go somewhere else and become a pro bowler.

Maxie the Taxi
04-29-2018, 07:44 AM
At least he didn't draft another FB.

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 08:03 AM

We just drafted the Tim Tebow of punters.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-29-2018, 08:05 AM
How foolish was it? Jon Ryan was a bad punter when he was with us. He single-handedly lost a game against the Bears by having two punts blocked, one returned for a TD, one punt for 9 yards, and fumbling a snap on a punt.

That game was played in a tornado. A bad game. A fluke.

The Gulls, like the Pack, just drafted a punter in the 5th, so Ryan's days in Seattle might be numbered. But bad punters don't last 12 years in the league. How foolish was it? Name all the inconsistent bums who punted for the Pack since Ryan left town, and you'll understand the foolishness.

Thanks Ted!

red
04-29-2018, 09:47 AM

oh goodie

an over privileged pretty boy who is high on jesus and probably has nazi tendencies

just when you think you can't hate the pick anymore

Maxie the Taxi
04-29-2018, 09:52 AM
^^^^red, you need some church'n up...

https://media.giphy.com/media/nBQefMWjqdLc4/giphy.gif

red
04-29-2018, 09:56 AM
jesus h tap dancing christ

i'm more of a blasphemer

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 12:32 PM
oh goodie

an over privileged pretty boy who is high on jesus and probably has nazi tendencies

just when you think you can't hate the pick anymore

He looks like Goebbels. Probably tortures squirrels.

Zool
04-29-2018, 03:19 PM
He looks like Goebbels. Probably tortures squirrels.

Red or the punter?

pbmax
04-30-2018, 10:10 AM
GBPG:

LOWDOWN: John Kimball Scott made a name for himself as a freshman in 2014, when he was chosen first-team All-American by Sporting News, ESPN and USA Today. He ended up being a two-time Ray Guy Award finalist who played in three national championship games and won two titles in 2015 and 2017. Was rated as the No. 1 punter in the nation coming out of high school by Chris Sailer, who is regarded as one of the top private kicking coaches in the nation. Scott averaged 43.1 yards per punt during his four seasons at Alabama. “I’m a two-step guy,” Scott said. “My punt, the thing people notice about me is two things – I don’t ever come off the ground. Two, I get my leg pretty high up in the air, so those are the things that make me kind of unique among the punters in the country. I don’t come off the ground because I don’t need to since my leg comes up so high. I would say I use a lot of the leverage from my legs. Having long legs helps me get a lot of leverage through the ball.” - Scott Venci

Smidgeon
04-30-2018, 10:46 AM
GBPG:

LOWDOWN: John Kimball Scott made a name for himself as a freshman in 2014, when he was chosen first-team All-American by Sporting News, ESPN and USA Today. He ended up being a two-time Ray Guy Award finalist who played in three national championship games and won two titles in 2015 and 2017. Was rated as the No. 1 punter in the nation coming out of high school by Chris Sailer, who is regarded as one of the top private kicking coaches in the nation. Scott averaged 43.1 yards per punt during his four seasons at Alabama. “I’m a two-step guy,” Scott said. “My punt, the thing people notice about me is two things – I don’t ever come off the ground. Two, I get my leg pretty high up in the air, so those are the things that make me kind of unique among the punters in the country. I don’t come off the ground because I don’t need to since my leg comes up so high. I would say I use a lot of the leverage from my legs. Having long legs helps me get a lot of leverage through the ball.” - Scott Venci

But doesn't leaving one leg planted lead to a higher likelihood of an ACL injury due to guys rolling into him? I'm guessing there are advantages to that technique, but I think about planted feet leading to busted knees.

mraynrand
04-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Red or the punter?

the punter. Goering was the Luftwaffe guy who was too fat to be flown on the plane they had available after his capture. They had to order a bigger plane for the fat fuck.* Goebbels was a thin little wisp of a man who poisoned his four children. Happy football talk guys!

* I shouldn't have to say this, but just so it's clear, Red is a paragon of virtue and enlightenment in comparison to Goering.

mraynrand
04-30-2018, 10:54 AM
But doesn't leaving one leg planted lead to a higher likelihood of an ACL injury due to guys rolling into him? I'm guessing there are advantages to that technique, but I think about planted feet leading to busted knees.

He will fit right in

Smidgeon
05-04-2018, 02:15 PM
And Vogel has been waived. So much for competition.

call_me_ishmael
05-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Gotta wonder why they did that. What if the new guy stinks? What if he gets hurt? You lost someone who I guess is considered to be a good punter. Why? Why even draft this guy instead of trying to swing for the fence on another specimen?

pbmax
05-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I gotta think he is going to come back for camp.

pbmax
05-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Packer Report: According to ESPN.com's Rob Demovsky, Vogel saw the writing on the wall and asked for his release, figuring he'd have a better chance of winning a job elsewhere now than fighting an uphill battle against a draft pick and then hoping he could catch on with another team at the end of training camp.

Bet they bring in someone else.

Patler
05-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Packer Report: According to ESPN.com's Rob Demovsky, Vogel saw the writing on the wall and asked for his release, figuring he'd have a better chance of winning a job elsewhere now than fighting an uphill battle against a draft pick and then hoping he could catch on with another team at the end of training camp.

Bet they bring in someone else.

Any pro athlete without the confidence to compete head to head with one guy is a liability. Not what you want from a punter/holder.

hoosier
05-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Vogel figured Scott had a leg up on him.

The Shadow
05-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Curious move. Vogel was fine.

Patler
05-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Curious move. Vogel was fine.

Curious indeed.-

I went to the Packer/Seattle game, and entered the stadium early enough to watch all of warmups, especially to watch Vogel. So much had been said of his leg, that he had to work hard at dialing in his kicks, but he had both distance and height.

Both punters, Vogel and Ryan, kicked a lot; moving back just a few yards each set, and kicking from the center and both hash marks at each distance. At the end, they backed way up, apparently kicking for height and distance. They were on opposite ends of the field, but doing about the same things at the same time, easy to compare. My take; Ryan was much more consistent in height and direction; but Vogel has a tremendous leg. Vogel's best punts were a little bit awe-inspiring. He kicks with an easy motion but can really boom the thing, both height and distance.

When Vogel warmed up with the snapper for placekicks, it just did not look smooth, inconsistent in speed and motion. He seemed to hesitate at times.

Vogel looked like a tremendous talent, but one who just needed more experience and consistency in both jobs. I half expect any rookie punter will look the same. Vogel's net results last year were pretty darn good, and I expected his second year to be better; but apparently backing down in the face of competition makes me wonder if the Packers perhaps rightfully questioned if he was confident enough to be as good as his talent might allow him to be.

The Shadow
05-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Didn't JK Scott write those Harry Potter books?

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Any pro athlete without the confidence to compete head to head with one guy is a liability. Not what you want from a punter/holder.

:whaa:

So UDFAs should all sign with teams that are stocked with depth at their positions?

Should Mike McCarthy apply for the Patriots HC job?

He sees the writing on the wall. The Packers aren't going to give up on a fifth round kicker pick in year 1 and unless Mike Sherman gets the GM job, they aren't keeping two. He'll go compete where the is a decent chance of a win. I'd say this move tells me the opposite, he knows what is going to happen, and is embracing the chance at an actual competition elsewhere.

Look at Roberto Aguayo and the Jags to see how this will play out. No matter how bad he was in the first year, he was going to make it to the second.

Patler
05-05-2018, 01:54 PM
:whaa:

So UDFAs should all sign with teams that are stocked with depth at their positions?

Should Mike McCarthy apply for the Patriots HC job?

He sees the writing on the wall. The Packers aren't going to give up on a fifth round kicker pick in year 1 and unless Mike Sherman gets the GM job, they aren't keeping two. He'll go compete where the is a decent chance of a win. I'd say this move tells me the opposite, he knows what is going to happen, and is embracing the chance at an actual competition elsewhere.

Look at Roberto Aguayo and the Jags to see how this will play out. No matter how bad he was in the first year, he was going to make it to the second.

No comparison at all to a UDFA or even a veteran free agent choosing a team that gives him his best opportunity. Extrapolating to that point is unreasonable. This isn't a guy picking his opportunity as much as it is an athlete running from a challenge without even assessing the challenge face to face.

Should their long snapper demand to be released just because they drafted one? Should Allison, Clark or any of the lower level WRs demand to be released because they drafted three? How about some of the DBs, should they demand their releases? Some of the WRs or DBs actually might, but as a coach I didn't want a player who turns and runs from a challenge.

I'm not at all convinced Scott will be their punter next year, certainly not just because he was drafted. He wasn't just a fifth round pick, he was a compensatory pick, which some teams, including GB, have acknowledged they look at as a bonus to "take a shot" on higher risk/higher return type guys.

Recent punters have been more successful, but college punters don't always transition well to the NFL, so Scott is no sure thing. Vogel was decent, and his best audition for another team might have been to step up to the challenge and punt well in preseason.

Punters and kickers (snappers too, but a bit more anonymously and less visible/identifiable) have to be very tough mentally, often being put in difficult spots out in front for everyone to see at crucial times of games. I'm not confident that Vogel wants the challenge of those situations.

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:12 PM
No comparison at all to a UDFA or even a veteran free agent choosing a team that gives him his best opportunity. Extrapolating to that point is unreasonable. This isn't a guy picking his opportunity as much as it is an athlete running from a challenge without even assessing the challenge face to face.

Should their long snapper demand to be released just because they drafted one? Should Allison, Clark or any of the lower level WRs demand to be released because they drafted three? How about some of the DBs, should they demand their releases? Some of the WRs or DBs actually might, but as a coach I didn't want a player who turns and runs from a challenge.

There are 6 WR likely on the roster and 2 more on the PS. So no, WR would pretty non-sensical especially since draft pick WR have been cut. WR also get hurt in camp a lot. With 4 QBs, gonna be a lot of reps and chances to get in the preseason games.

Long snapper is a good question. I might suggest he bail, since there are very few of these guys available, but 7th round pick isn't as likely to stay as a 5th round punter. But they might not even keep two LS depending on the FA situation. I would not be stunned to see a release there though they have kept two around in the summer before.

The fact that the Packers granted the punter's release tells you all about their plans. Vogel read it right. McCarthy did not even expect to bring in competition this summer for the position. They are all in on Scott.

You could be right that Scott isn't the punter this year. But that will be an upset of the Packers plans, not Vogel's.

Carolina_Packer
05-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Goebbels was a thin little wisp of a man who poisoned his four children. Happy football talk guys!

I thought George Gobel was on Hollywood Squares.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mumZ-rnKHsM/VN0DflUOYcI/AAAAAAAAHwA/qydyyJPsl9g/s1600/Follywood%2BSquares.jpg

woodbuck27
05-06-2018, 12:58 AM

Joseph F Chris! Thompson was the mother of incompetence!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/jon-ryan-released-by-green-bay-packers-1.737508

Jon Ryan released by Green Bay Packers

The Canadian Press ยท Posted: Sep 02, 2008 4:59 PM CT | Last Updated: September 2, 2008

Canadian-born punter Jon Ryan is looking for a new job.

" The 26-year-old Regina native was released Monday by the Green Bay Packers despite booting a sparkling 48-yard punt during the NFL exhibition season.

The Packers cut Ryan loose in favour of Derrick Frost, who was released Saturday by the Washington Redskins."

woodbuck27
05-06-2018, 01:02 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Ryan

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Jon_Ryan_2014.jpg/800px-Jon_Ryan_2014.jpg

Jon Ryan

"Overall, in the 2017 season, Ryan finished with 92 punts for 4,141 net yards for a 45.01 average"

Patler
05-06-2018, 10:12 AM
The fact that the Packers granted the punter's release tells you all about their plans. Vogel read it right. McCarthy did not even expect to bring in competition this summer for the position. They are all in on Scott.

They want a more consistent performer, but Vogel could have shown GB that he can be that guy. Instead, he gave up. What GB wants, other teams do too.

All Vogel had to do was be better than Scott in preseason and the job would have been his. He didn't even want to try. He backed down from a simple head to head challenge.

His request for a release says more about him than any plans the Packers may have had. Granting his request may have occurred because they realized their suspicions about him were correct.

pbmax
05-06-2018, 11:14 AM
They want a more consistent performer, but Vogel could have shown GB that he can be that guy. Instead, he gave up. What GB wants, other teams do too.

All Vogel had to do was be better than Scott in preseason and the job would have been his. He didn't even want to try. He backed down from a simple head to head challenge.

His request for a release says more about him than any plans the Packers may have had. Granting his request may have occurred because they realized their suspicions about him were correct.

If they bring in competition, I'll tip my hat to this possible interpretation.

But you don't draft a punter in the fifth round for consistency. This line of commentary sounds made up on the spot by Joe Morgan during a SF Giants game. They think he will be a field flipping game changer on punts. My bet is that he doesn't see competition until he does something bad publicly. And probably repeatedly.

They spent a fifth round pick, he isn't going anywhere unless he falls apart.

While the punting could always improve, Vogel set a net punt record for the Packers (https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/2/10/16998984/packers-2017-additions-justin-vogel-sets-team-net-punting-record-in-rookie-year). He wasn't a tire fire by any means. He got hang time and his directional kicking was as good as Masthay.

But neither he not Masthay could bomb a punt like others in the League can. This guy is here for that.

mraynrand
05-06-2018, 02:13 PM
But neither he not Masthay could bomb a punt like others in the League can. This guy is here for that.

With Janis gone, the special teams is set to disintegrate. Not only does Cleveland get a perennial All-pro, HOF WR, but they scuttle our special teams. Unless Scott is a hang-time hyperion.

pbmax
05-06-2018, 06:32 PM
With Janis gone, the special teams is set to disintegrate. Not only does Cleveland get a perennial All-pro, HOF WR, but they scuttle our special teams. Unless Scott is a hang-time hyperion.

The little I read made it sound like every other young punter, it was sometimes a bomb of a long kick or hang time. But his talent is such that you might be able to live with either, since hang time alone seemed to work for him last year.

Going from college to pro is always a big change and the ball is different.

pbmax
05-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Translation: We cut him now instead of August.

Vogel’s future with the organization was upended the moment Gutekunst used a fifth-round draft pick on Scott, a four-year starter at Alabama. Even if Vogel went through training camp, and even if he kicked beautifully on every attempt, the chances of him making the 53-man roster over a fifth-round pick were always going to be slim. Requesting his release at least gives him a chance to stick with someone else.

“A lot of things go into those decisions,” McCarthy said. “You go through all the different options you go through in camp. There is a fairness to Justin to give him an opportunity out there today as opposed to come August (during roster cuts). You weigh all those.”

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/05/packers-roster-spot-punter-jk-scott/583607002/