PDA

View Full Version : Pass rush help

red
04-29-2018, 10:30 AM
OK, so back to free agency

ahmad brooks is still available

the one that stands out to me as a one year stopgap would be connor barwin

junior galette is available. last year was his first year back after suffering 2 achillies injuries

tamba hali is out there, but he's 34 and hasn't done much in a few years

lamaar houston, maybe

erik walden is out there

thats kind of our list of options

SMBASS
04-29-2018, 11:44 AM
I wanted to sign Connor Barwin during Free Agency last year and I think he still has some gas left in the tank. Periodically move Matthew's to the inside and bring him in on the outside plus he would be a good option to have when either Matthews or Perry gets hurt as they do every year. I would make a play for him.

The Rams signed him to a pretty reasonable deal last year so I don't think he'd be overly expensive.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2018, 12:13 PM
I say let's just play the hand we now have with the new DC. When done right, OLB in a 3-4 is a sort of "system" position - any fast agile guy can do well there. We got a couple of those in the draft in addition to having Biegel who should get his big opportunity there, maybe even the hated Fackrell.

Bringing back Ahmad Brooks cheap wouldn't be bad, but assuming any of those other guys cost a lot, let other teams have them.

wist43
04-29-2018, 12:21 PM
Pass on all of those guys...

We don't have the pieces to get to the Championship game let alone the SB the next 2 years... so we're looking at 2020 as being the next reasonable expectation of having a shot to make a SB run.

Fackrell and Biegel are both junk, so we'll be looking to move them off the roster next year. Mathews might be gone as well as Wilkerson. The cupboard is likely to be pretty bare going into next years draft.

So assume we have to throw the kitchen sink at pass rush next offseason - it's not easy to get it right with those guys. Hopefully Gilbert ends up being somewhat productive... that would leave us with one OLB/Edge player of any value going into next years draft.

I think we'll be better this year than last - but that's not saying much... we have a pretty depleted roster. Without Rodgers, we're a sub .500 team, and Gute didn't even wink at the OLB position this year.

Unfortunately I think we're treading water again for another couple of years.

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 12:26 PM
We don't have the pieces to get to the Championship game let alone the SB the next 2 years... so we're looking at 2020 as being the next reasonable expectation of having a shot to make a SB run.

:violin:

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 12:34 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/29/packers-banking-on-internal-pass-rushing-improvement/

wist43
04-29-2018, 12:49 PM
:violin:

lol...

Dude, we're not even close to being able to compete with Minnesota or Philly.

We have the wildcard at QB, but roster for roster - we can't compete. Carolina is much better than we are; Chicago is better man for man - if their QB turns out to be a hit, then we'll be behind them as well. Atlanta, the Rams, Seattle...

It's a long list of teams we're looking up at... I understand kool-aid drinking and all, but realistically?? We have a long way to go.

Philly
Vikings
Rams
Panthers
Saints
Falcons
Seahawks
---------------------------------

We're in the same company with:

Cowboys (probably behind them a bit)
Lions
Bears
Redskins

---------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but that's our reality... we improved at CB, but did nothing to address OLB that is a problem this year and will likely be a major need next year. Wack-a-mole.

wist43
04-29-2018, 01:00 PM
I was hoping we could put some pieces in the pipeline at the Edge position so as to give us some development options moving into next year. Develop those guys, and address the position further in next years draft, and we might have been able to make a run next year...

... but, given what Gute did the past few days, we don't have any developmental prospects outside of Gilbert, so we'll essentially be going into the next offseason with a huge need at a critical position. That most likely means another year of searching and developing at one of the most critical positions in football - which means another year of treading water... at the least.

As Gute said, they don't care about filling holes... same approach as TT for all these years.

Gotarace
04-29-2018, 02:16 PM
I have a feeling we're not done wheeling and dealing to fill this Packer Squad. Let's see who gets their walking papers this Summer and maybe another Julius Pepper type could land on our Doorstep.

Brandon494
04-29-2018, 02:23 PM
I have a feeling we're not done wheeling and dealing to fill this Packer Squad. Let's see who gets their walking papers this Summer and maybe another Julius Pepper type could land on our Doorstep.

Should have never let him walk

gbgary
04-29-2018, 03:36 PM
maybe we can get a good one, for that NO 1st next next year, from some crappy/rebuilding team. who's out there like that?

pbmax
04-29-2018, 03:39 PM
maybe we can get a good one, for that NO 1st next next year, from some crappy/rebuilding team. who's out there like that?

Patience gary, half the teams in the League go from making the playoffs to missing them.

gbgary
04-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Patience gary, half the teams in the League go from making the playoffs to missing them.

it's the Rodgers window talking...sorry. lol

red
04-29-2018, 03:53 PM
it's the Rodgers window talking...sorry. lol

thats the problem

a-rods biological clock is ticking

and the way this case is going, he ain't never gonna win another super bowl

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 03:56 PM
thats the problem

a-rods biological clock is ticking

and the way this case is going, he ain't ever gonna win another super bowl

Don't despair. Look how quickly Doug Pederson won his as coach. No doubt Rodgers will do the same.

red
04-29-2018, 03:58 PM
Don't despair. Look how quickly Doug Pederson won his as coach. No doubt Rodgers will do the same.

why in the hell would someone who should be worth at least a quarter billion when he retires ever want to spend 20 hours a day coaching?

mraynrand
04-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Because he wants to win