PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receivers Making the 2018 Team

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2018, 08:45 AM
We've got a helluva a lot of quantity, and hopefully a good amount of quality too.

Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, Michael Clark, DeAngelo Yancey, J-mon Moore, Marquez Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, did I leave anybody out?

That's 9. Some teams keep as few as 5; It's hard to imagine keeping more than 7. How many and which ones do we keep? Any early guesses?

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Scantling looks practice squad bound. Moore and St. Brown will compete for another position. Clark will be considered a TE.

Teamcheez1
05-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Cobb and Adams are not going anywhere.
What position does Ty Montgomery play this year?
One of Davis or Allison will be gone this year.
Yancey is on the bubble or gone.
Do they see more potential in Clark with limited reps, or do the new guys show more? Can they stash one or two of the new guys on the practice squad?

Hard to tell until they put the pads on.

The Shadow
05-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Six receivers seems about right.

denverYooper
05-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Clark will be considered a TE.

Let's just hope he actually decides to do his job and block for an onside kick attempt in the NFCCG.

pbmax
05-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Six receivers seems about right.

So , its Emperor "Shadow" Joseph then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCud8H7z7vU

red
05-04-2018, 11:41 AM
I think they keep 6, and I have zero clue who those 6 will be

Hopefully someone looks good and pre season and we can trade him

Anti-Polar Bear
05-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Scantling looks practice squad bound. Moore and St. Brown will compete for another position. Clark will be considered a TE.

There's always room on an NFL roster for a 6'4, 4.3 40 WR. MVS ain't getting cut.

Allison is a fucking sloth. Clark can't catch. I don't get the hard-ons for the two of them.

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2018, 12:00 PM
I completely forgot Montgomery. That makes 10 total. I don't have a very high opinion of him either at RB or WR. The fact they drafted 3 seemingly decent quality receivers tells me maybe Cobb's status is not all that sure given all the money he makes. Clark as a TE is worth considering; I was thinking the same about St. Brown.

Another thing to factor in is that a DB, Alexander, may end up being the primary punt returner, which makes Davis less useful.

I think they will keep 6 WRs plus Montgomery and either Clark or St. Brown as a TE, cutting Yancy and Davis.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-04-2018, 12:03 PM
We've got a helluva a lot of quantity, and hopefully a good amount of quality too.

Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, Michael Clark, DeAngelo Yancey, J-mon Moore, Marquez Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, did I leave anybody out?

That's 9. Some teams keep as few as 5; It's hard to imagine keeping more than 7. How many and which ones do we keep? Any early guesses?

For the love of Green and Gold, the Packers have gotta sign Dez.

Adams, Dez, Cobb, MVS, Moore (by default).

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Alas, poor Ty Montgomery. I knew him, Horatio.

Fritz
05-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Goidbye, Ty Davis. We hardly knew ye.

run pMc
05-04-2018, 02:27 PM
After Adams and Cobb, I'd say only Moore is a near-lock by virtue of being an R4 pick. (I'm assuming he's much better than Cory Rodgers.)
Allison is probably the de facto #3, with Davis on thin ice, but they could easily both be roster cuts.
Way too early to call this race; will take a couple of weeks of camp to shake it out. Until then it's pure guessing, since we haven't seen the rookies or this Kumerow guy yet, and barely seen Yancey and Clark (or if they've "made the year 2 jump")

Graham will basically be another WR, so there's that too.

And let's stop with the Dez Bryant stuff. They just cut an aging, overpaid WR who was beloved by a large chunk of the fan base (and note OAK subsequently traded for Bryant), why would they overpay for an aging WR from another team who's also a diva? Dallas didn't want him, and they aren't exactly the 2nd coming of the Warner-Faulk Rams. If they sign a veteran WR, it will be for peanuts, and it will mean all the young WR's are crap. I think they'd move Montgomery back to WR before that happens.

Joemailman
05-04-2018, 08:36 PM
6 seems like a lot since you have a TE (Graham) and a RB (Montgomery) who will also line up at WR. So I would say Adams, Cobb, Moore, St. Brown and either Clark or Allison. Scantling to PS.

beveaux1
05-04-2018, 09:39 PM
And let's stop with the Dez Bryant stuff. They just cut an aging, overpaid WR who was beloved by a large chunk of the fan base (and note OAK subsequently traded for Bryant), why would they overpay for an aging WR from another team who's also a diva? Dallas didn't want him, and they aren't exactly the 2nd coming of the Warner-Faulk Rams. If they sign a veteran WR, it will be for peanuts, and it will mean all the young WR's are crap. I think they'd move Montgomery back to WR before that happens.

+1
This...

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 10:28 PM
6 seems like a lot since you have a TE (Graham) and a RB (Montgomery) who will also line up at WR. So I would say Adams, Cobb, Moore, St. Brown and either Clark or Allison. Scantling to PS.

Well, it depends on how many TEs and RBs they keep, right? Are they really gonna keep three TEs this year? Could have five running backs if they designate Ty as a RB. All depends on roster and offensive strategy.

Remember, the offense is not going to be the same. It may be radically different. Will they even have a more 'traditional' blocking TE?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Scantling to PS.

If Gute pulls a Todd and foolishly cut MVS at the end of TC, MVS will get signed by another team faster than the speed of fuck. 6'4" 4.3 40 WRs don't grow on trees. There will always be a roster spot for said player til said player proves time and time again that he can't play.

Don't be incompetent like Todd.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-05-2018, 11:06 AM

How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable seem to me all the uses of this world!

pbmax
05-05-2018, 12:00 PM
If Gute pulls a Todd and foolishly cut MVS at the end of TC, MVS will get signed by another team faster than the speed of fuck. 6'4" 4.3 40 WRs don't grow on trees. There will always be a roster spot for said player til said player proves time and time again that he can't play.

This is true of all end of fifth round picks of course.

Zool
05-05-2018, 08:03 PM

Yet you still love Janice.

woodbuck27
05-06-2018, 01:16 AM
Cobb and Adams are not going anywhere.
What position does Ty Montgomery play this year?
One of Davis or Allison will be gone this year.
Yancey is on the bubble or gone.
Do they see more potential in Clark with limited reps, or do the new guys show more? Can they stash one or two of the new guys on the practice squad?

Hard to tell until they put the pads on.

They've been saying that Ty will be back as a RB.

woodbuck27
05-06-2018, 01:20 AM

Is there evidence that More can run Routes?

He seemed to be a down the sideline and outside the Hash Marks Guy a lot, when I reviewed his Tape.

run pMc
05-06-2018, 01:32 PM

There is some truth to this -- players with obvious physical gifts are often given more time/leeway to develop or prove they can/can't play. Janis was a ST demon but apparently too inconsistent/untrustworthy to get a lot of snaps at WR. He got himself a nice deal with CLE.
As for MVS, I'll be interested to see what he can do. He's certainly got height and is a burner. ST is the gateway for these young WRs to make the squad while they learn the finer points of the offense and being a pro WR.

What's Charles Johnson doing these days? IIRC he played for CLE and then Minny, and was another size/speed prospect.

The Shadow
05-06-2018, 01:34 PM
It seems there is a trend for the Alshon Jeffrey-like players who can, with the huge catch radius, just go up and snag jump balls.

run pMc
05-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Is there evidence that More can run Routes?

He seemed to be a down the sideline and outside the Hash Marks Guy a lot, when I reviewed his Tape.

Based on what I saw it looked like he ran a lot of hitches, comebacks, and go routes. I do think there's something to work with there as for as talent, so we'll see. The other young WR's will really have to shine, or he'll really have to flop to not make the roster as a R4 pick.

ND72
05-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Adams
Cobb
Clark
Moore
MVS
St. Brown

I personally don't like Allison so I might be biased there. And Clark, I don't know. I might be too in love with the 3 guys we took, but I think they all have something. Too be seen.

Rutnstrut
05-06-2018, 11:49 PM
They've been saying that Ty will be back as a RB.

If true, the are still people that need to be fired. As I have said all along, Montgomery is not a RB and can not handle the pounding of a RB. But if we have seen anything from the GB braintrust. It's doing the same shit and hoping for different results.

call_me_ishmael
05-07-2018, 12:23 AM
There are countless smaller backs in the league then Monty. What is unique about him that makes him unable to handle the pounding?

Joemailman
05-07-2018, 02:03 AM
There are countless smaller backs in the league then Monty. What is unique about him that makes him unable to handle the pounding?

I think he runs too upright. Needs to run behind his shoulder pads. Rib injuries last year were a result of his running style.

Zool
05-07-2018, 09:24 AM
I think he runs too upright. Needs to run behind his shoulder pads. Rib injuries last year were a result of his running style.

Agreed. I don't think it has anything to do with his size. It's all about technique. But damn, if he can stay healthy, split time, and be a 150 touch guy per year, he can be a real threat. He's so good at route running that you'd have to assign a LB to follow him out of the backfield.

run pMc
05-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Agreed. I don't think it has anything to do with his size. It's all about technique. But damn, if he can stay healthy, split time, and be a 150 touch guy per year, he can be a real threat. He's so good at route running that you'd have to assign a LB to follow him out of the backfield.

I think a LB on Monty is a mismatch, and one M3 is trying to exploit by having him at RB. You gotta put a CB/S on him IMO. His running style will get him injured, plus if M3 plays him as many snaps/game as he did before getting hurt. IIRC Monty was on a crazy pace for snaps as a RB. Jones/Williams should help there.

I consider Monty as a RB gadget guy right now, not a WR. Gives them a lot of positional and formation flexibility.

Rutnstrut
05-07-2018, 03:58 PM
As a change of pace/gadget guy Monty would be pretty good. I still don't think he can go more than 4 games without a time loss injury.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, J'Mon Moore, Geronimo Allison, Equanimeous St. Brown, Trevor Davis

wthigoot
05-09-2018, 11:14 PM
As a change of pace/gadget guy Monty would be pretty good. I still don't think he can go more than 4 games without a time loss injury.

Cobb seems to miss some time each season too. Maybe Cobb and Monty can combine to make one good slot/change of pace/gadget/wildcat-qb guy.

woodbuck27
05-10-2018, 12:20 AM

I'll be watching for that change in his running style and I agree.

He runs like a WR and that needs to be coached out of him.

pbmax
05-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Justis Mosqueda

4 of 98 receivers taken 133rd or later (J'Mon Moore) since 2011 have started even a half-season as rookies. None started more than 10 games. Be at peace with Geronimo Allison getting six targets a game until you're told otherwise

gbgary
05-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Justis Mosqueda

4 of 98 receivers taken 133rd or later (J'Mon Moore) since 2011 have started even a half-season as rookies. None started more than 10 games. Be at peace with Geronimo Allison getting six targets a game until you're told otherwise

geesh. so much for wanting the o to be better.

Joemailman
05-10-2018, 05:14 PM
geesh. so much for wanting the o to be better.

The o was just fine last year with Rodgers as the qb. Add Jimmy Graham to the equation (Who cares where he lines up?) plus Philbin as the coordinator, and I think there's plenty of reason to think the o will be better.

gbgary
05-10-2018, 06:16 PM
The o was just fine last year with Rodgers as the qb. Add Jimmy Graham to the equation (Who cares where he lines up?) plus Philbin as the coordinator, and I think there's plenty of reason to think the o will be better.

the o hinged on Rogers being a miracle worker to look the way it did. graham for jordy is probably a wash. a new o will have a learning curve to deal with. i'm hoping someone can beat out allison to take some of the pressure off the others. i don't see them being better. maybe the same though. oh...it kinda does matter where graham lines up. you want him in mismatches and that will be against linebackers and safeties...not outside going against tall cb's with more speed than him.

mraynrand
05-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Successful offenses rely on very good quarterbacking. I’m not all that impressed with Philly’s receivers but they had two guys who could put the rock in their hands and they won.

pbmax
05-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Successful offenses rely on very good quarterbacking. I’m not all that impressed with Philly’s receivers but they had two guys who could put the rock in their hands and they won.

This is my major complaint with McCarthy currently. In the grand scheme of things it small (he's run a very successful offense) but it does hamper them against very good defenses.

Philly and Pederson found a way to make mediocre receivers and Foles look brilliant. McCarthy wants his receivers to win one on one battles all the time. Puts a lot of pressure on the talent and none on the schemer.

Joemailman
05-11-2018, 03:45 PM
This is my major complaint with McCarthy currently. In the grand scheme of things it small (he's run a very successful offense) but it does hamper them against very good defenses.

Philly and Pederson found a way to make mediocre receivers and Foles look brilliant. McCarthy wants his receivers to win one on one battles all the time. Puts a lot of pressure on the talent and none on the schemer.

My biggest hope for this season is that Philbin will lead a change away from the one on one philosophy. McCarthy has talked about a back to basics approach.

"We've taken a little bit of a back-to-basics approach on offense," McCarthy said. "We're going back and building a playbook like you would if it was your first year as a staff. Joe's such a great teacher. So, it's been a lot of fun so far."

Not sure what this all means exactly, but I don't think we'll see the same offense we've been seeing the last few years. I'm hoping that scheming to get the ball into Cobb's hands more will be a focus.

The Shadow
05-11-2018, 05:57 PM
My biggest hope for this season is that Philbin will lead a change away from the one on one philosophy. McCarthy has talked about a back to basics approach.

Not sure what this all means exactly, but I don't think we'll see the same offense we've been seeing the last few years. I'm hoping that scheming to get the ball into Cobb's hands more will be a focus.

Yes!

Teamcheez1
05-11-2018, 07:24 PM
A lot of hand wringing about the offense?

We have the first semblance of a running game in years before the season even starts.
The WR group is up and coming, and we have a TE that can contribute.
The O line should hold up just fine.
You have one of the greatest QB's to play the game.

I don't get the endless whining.

Joemailman
05-11-2018, 07:47 PM

We have the first semblance of a running game in years before the season even starts.

We don't really know if the WR group is up and coming or not. Time will tell. But I agree with the rest that you said. One thing I hope Philbin can utilize is the fact that they have a trio of RB's who can all catch the ball, and get yards after they catch it.

woodbuck27
05-12-2018, 12:41 AM
Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, J'Mon Moore, Geronimo Allison, Equanimeous St. Brown, Trevor Davis

RE: J'Mon Moore:

I made basically the same comment on him and being NFL Ready earlier:

" The Green Bay Packers parted with longtime standout Jordy Nelson this offseason. While they did bring in tight end Jimmy Graham to provide Aaron Rodgers with another top-tier target, they're still going to miss Nelson's presence.

Fans expecting fourth-round pick J'Mon Moore to replace Nelson are going to be sorely disappointed.

There are things to like about Moore. He was productive at Missouri—1,017 yards in 2017—and he has great size for the position (6'3", 207 lbs). But Moore is extremely raw, is a limited route-runner and has less-than-ideal speed.

He ran a 4.6 at the combine and could be purely a possession guy at the pro level. Unfortunately, his poor route running will limit him in that role early. While fans may see Moore on the receiving end of a few Rodgers Hail Mary passes this season, they aren't likely to see him in a significant offensive role.

Don't be surprised if Moore is a bigger rookie flop than wideout Equanimeous St. Brown, who the Packers selected two rounds after Moore."

pbmax
05-12-2018, 11:34 AM

1. Running game is just dandy. But outside of 2014, M3 didn't find that it helped his stalled passing game. Its an unadulterated good thing by itself, but I am concerned the Offense will not take advantage of it.
2. WR group is a huge unknown. Adams and Cobb and then ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Maybe series of question marks is better term.
3. O line still needs to rebuild right side. Far from done or certain. Would tip in direction of solid if they re-sign Evans.
4. QB is just fine. But he needs some help.

I'll give you a bonus question mark:

5. Jimmy Graham. Does he still possess enough legs to get open deep?

gbgary
05-13-2018, 01:56 PM
1. Running game is just dandy. But outside of 2014, M3 didn't find that it helped his stalled passing game. Its an unadulterated good thing by itself, but I am concerned the Offense will not take advantage of it.
2. WR group is a huge unknown. Adams and Cobb and then ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Maybe series of question marks is better term.
3. O line still needs to rebuild right side. Far from done or certain. Would tip in direction of solid if they re-sign Evans.

this!

my guess on wr's...adams, cobb, allison, moore, st brown, davis. skantling and clark will fight it out with the camp bodies.

Fritz
05-13-2018, 04:15 PM

As to #5, I believe he still posseses the requisite number.

Teamcheez1
05-13-2018, 07:16 PM

If you want to dwell in the minutiae, every team has glaring holes. I realize we do have some question marks, but I like where we are at this point in time (on offense) than we have been in several years.

pbmax
05-13-2018, 09:49 PM
If you want to dwell in the minutiae, every team has glaring holes. I realize we do have some question marks, but I like where we are at this point in time (on offense) than we have been in several years.

Assuming Rodgers is healthy, they will be OK. But I don't expect a dominating passing game this year. Especially at the start as they adjust to a new TE and a new flanker.

The running game will be good and help, but its improvement won't make the offense 2011 or 2014 unstoppable.

The offense will be hard pressed to carry the team. So the Defense will need to stand up. And since a new coordinator means no tape, I think that is a definite possibility in the first 8 games of the year.

woodbuck27
05-13-2018, 10:29 PM

I don't like it.

WE needed a Solid WR to be signed.

I'm concerned about the TE position and the OL.

Hopefully the 'D' was upgraded.

woodbuck27
05-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Assuming Rodgers is healthy, they will be OK. But I don't expect a dominating passing game this year. Especially at the start as they adjust to a new TE and a new flanker.

The running game will be good and help, but its improvement won't make the offense 2011 or 2014 unstoppable.

The offense will be hard pressed to carry the team. So the Defense will need to stand up. And since a new coordinator means no tape, I think that is a definite possibility in the first 8 games of the year.

Lots of ? marks.

theeaterofshades
05-14-2018, 12:53 PM
If true, the are still people that need to be fired. As I have said all along, Montgomery is not a RB and can not handle the pounding of a RB. But if we have seen anything from the GB braintrust. It's doing the same shit and hoping for different results.

I think he will work well as a 3rd down scat back which we have not had for a long time

run pMc
05-14-2018, 01:59 PM
I'd give Monty reps at both RB and WR -- seems like he'd be a very good weapon in a no-huddle look. He's not a bell cow or true #1 RB, but you could play him 10-15 snaps a game plus return kicks. I don't think you want to slam him up the middle 20 snaps a game; he won't hold up to the pounding, and I'm not sure if that's the best use of his abilities.