PDA

View Full Version : Corners Making the 2018 Team

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Just as with WRs, we have a helluva lot of Corners vying for not very many spots.

Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, Tramon Williams, Davon House, Josh Hawkins, Kevin King, Quinton Rollins, Herb Waters, Lenzy Pipkins, Donatello Brown, Demetric Goodson - that's 11 for what, maybe 4 or 5 or 6 spots?

Some of those are pretty shaky quality-wise, but at least 7 or 8 are at least borderline decent.

Who stays? Who goes? Who starts?

call_me_ishmael
05-04-2018, 01:57 PM
4 spots? They'll keep 7 corners at a minimum.

Alexander
Jackson
Williams
Hawkins
King

The rest are battling for the last two spots.

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 02:04 PM
BRING BLACK GUNTER!!

pbmax
05-04-2018, 03:58 PM
10 or 11 DBs. At least 5 corners, could be six. 4 or 5 safeties.

Zool
05-04-2018, 04:41 PM
I don’t think House makes it this year. He was scraping up to the edge of okay last year with Pimpkins behind him.

red
05-04-2018, 04:47 PM
i thought rollins was about to be cut before he tore his achilles . as soon as he's healthy he's gone, if not sooner (injury settlement)

alexander, jackson and king are all locks

we sure could use tramons or houses experience, but i'm pretty sure either or both can be cut without much penalty

everyone else is on the outside looking in imo

red
05-04-2018, 04:48 PM
I don’t think House makes it this year. He was scraping up to the edge of okay last year with Pimpkins behind him.

house was hurt pretty much every week last season, it almost got to the point where it was comical. every single week he got hurt

he could still have value to us if he could actually stay healthy

The Shadow
05-04-2018, 05:10 PM
I think Tramon was an excellent signing. He could well have 2 -or 3 - years left in the tank.

mraynrand
05-04-2018, 05:56 PM
I think Tramon was an excellent signing. He could well have 2 -or 3 - years left in the tank.

I would be ecstatic if he could give them one reasonable year.

gbgary
05-04-2018, 07:56 PM
i hope the two noobs win starting spots and hope it's not even close. everyone else can back them and king up. no F's to give for those who get cut. lol

I would be ecstatic if he could give them one reasonable year.

yes...as a back-up/mentor

red
05-05-2018, 08:25 AM
i hope the two noobs win starting spots and hope it's not even close. everyone else can back them and king up. no F's to give for those who get cut. lol

yes...as a back-up/mentor

When was the last time a rookie came in and was above average as a starter?

We need 1 good year out of tramon whole the rookies and king, get up to speed

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:51 AM

King was going pretty good until the shoulder caught up with him. Shields was effective as a rookie 3rd CB.

red
05-05-2018, 12:04 PM
King was going pretty good until the shoulder caught up with him. Shields was effective as a rookie 3rd CB.

"pretty good" and "3rd cb"

without tramon, these 3 young guys wound be cbs #1, #2, and #3

thats a tall order for a group of young guys, no matter how talented they are

texaspackerbacker
05-05-2018, 01:06 PM
The way I saw it last season, we had several adequate second Corners, but no #1 shut down Corner. We now have two prospects who might turn into that as well as King who still could be the real deal. The kind of D that Capers played, and probably the kind that Pettine plays - being forced to scheme and compensate for less than super pass rush personnel, etc. depends a lot on single coverage, so the most urgent thing to settle in camp is finding that top Corner and having him be good enough to make things work.

gbgary
05-05-2018, 03:33 PM

i'm just hopin'!!

pbmax
05-05-2018, 11:14 PM
"pretty good" and "3rd cb"

without tramon, these 3 young guys wound be cbs #1, #2, and #3

thats a tall order for a group of young guys, no matter how talented they are

If it was good enough for the 1981 San Fransisco 49ers, its good enough for Mike Pettine.

woodbuck27
05-06-2018, 01:15 AM

Exactly.

mraynrand
05-06-2018, 07:37 AM
If it was good enough for the 1981 San Fransisco 49ers, its good enough for Mike Pettine.

BRING BLACK RAY RHODES!

run pMc
05-06-2018, 01:25 PM
How many did they keep last year when camp broke?

King, Alexander and Jackson are locks due to draft status -- barring something criminal or other disaster
Tramon is a good bet
House and the rest are 50/50 (depends on who "makes the jump")
Brown and Goodson are as good as gone

RashanGary
05-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Jaire Alexander
Kevin King
Josh Jackson
Josh Hawkins
Herb Waters
Lenzy Pipkins
Tramon Williams

Based on last year and this years draft status, i think these guys have the best shot. But you never know.

texaspackerbacker
05-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Replying to the runpMc post #19 above: True, but that still leaves a lot of question marks. After that top four, I'd rank them: Hawkins, Rollins, Pipkins, Waters, and House. 2, maybe 3 out of 5 of them stay.

ND72
05-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Jaire Alexander
Kevin King
Josh Jackson
Josh Hawkins
Herb Waters
Lenzy Pipkins
Tramon Williams

Based on last year and this years draft status, i think these guys have the best shot. But you never know.

Williams
King
Jackson
Alexander
House

with Pipkins, Hawkins, Waters battling for another spot. I'm only saying House, because he just bought a house...ahaha. He rented his house last year, and when he came back to sign his contract we found out his family bought the house this time based on "reassurance" by the organization. (he lives 3 houses down from us)

Dix
Jones
Brice
Rollins

as our safety group is a hunch. Keeping 11-12 DB's total.

bobblehead
05-07-2018, 12:50 AM
If I'm guessing really early I say Alexander, King, Jackson, Williams, Waters, Hawkins. Any of the last 3 could lose out to Pipkins. I am guessing they keep 6. I'm not really sure just how valuable Goodson is on ST. He could be a darkhorse #7, but I doubt it.

red
05-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Out of all the cbs, do any of them have experience playing safety?

Cause, I think we’re a bit thin there

A guy that could maybe fill in there probably has a good shot at making it

mraynrand
05-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Dix and Jones backed up by Evans Whitehead and Brice at least.

Joemailman
05-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Out of all the cbs, do any of them have experience playing safety?

Cause, I think we’re a bit thin there

A guy that could maybe fill in there probably has a good shot at making it

Some speculation that maybe the Packers could try Rollins at Safety. Many had him pegged as a Safety heading into the draft in 2015. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/03/could-move-to-safety-revive-quinten-rollins-career/

pbmax
05-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Rollins might make an interesting safety. He's built to play zone and made some nice breaks on interceptions. Could be a find at safety. He wasn't the best outside on deep routes, so not sure how he handles deep safety. Can seem him competing for slot time.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2018, 02:30 PM
How many safeties do we need? I don't see depth at safety as an issue. HCD needs to play better and Jones needs to progress, but I think Brice and Evans are good backups with starting potential. They may try Rollins at safety as a last ditch effort, but it would be a battle with Whitehead for the last safety spot.

The Shadow
05-07-2018, 03:14 PM
I think the move to safety is a must. He just is not a corner.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, Tramon Williams, Davon House, Herb Waters, Josh Hawkins