PDA

View Full Version : The One Day Retirement Contract

The Shadow
05-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Matt Forte & Devin Hester recently signed one day contracts with the Chicago so they got to retire as Bears.
Green Bay should consider allowing fans to sign one day contracts so they could 'retire' as Packers. That would raise an awful lot of money for their expansions & renovations.
Charge a $100 fee or so?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Die-hard Pack fans only retire from being Pack fans when they're dead, or when the incompetent GM ships the GOAT off to Siberia, so I doubt such a venture's gonna make the Pack alotta frogskins.

Zool
05-12-2018, 01:58 PM
I think he means from their jobs.

red
05-12-2018, 04:43 PM
thats kind of a cool idea

no, i think he means, for some sum of money, the packers (or other teams), would officially sign a fan for 1 day, so that fan can then "retire" as a green bay packer, or chicago bear or whatever. something to put on the wall. "I'm a retired green bay packer"

gotta think the league would frown on that though

The Shadow
05-12-2018, 05:31 PM

no, i think he means, for some sum of money, the packers (or other teams), would officially sign a fan for 1 day, so that fan can then "retire" as a green bay packer, or chicago bear or whatever. something to put on the wall. "I'm a retired green bay packer"

Maybe if all teams could make cash toward infrastructure renovations the league could hold their frowns.

The Shadow
05-12-2018, 05:32 PM
I think he means from their jobs.

More like the fan could actually BE a Packer - for one day.

gbgary
05-12-2018, 07:45 PM
cool idea. i can retire twice...just like ole' bert.

esoxx
05-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Given the huge amount of people that bought dirt in a box from the '96 field re-sodding, I'm sure this idea would be a money maker.

The Shadow
05-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Yup!

Zool
05-13-2018, 02:08 PM
More like the fan could actually BE a Packer - for one day.

Ahh. I thought it would be pretty cool on the day you retire you could pay some money and get to sign a one day “contract” with the Packers org if you had bought stock.

woodbuck27
05-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Matt Forte & Devin Hester recently signed one day contracts with the Chicago so they got to retire as Bears.
Green Bay should consider allowing fans to sign one day contracts so they could 'retire' as Packers. That would raise an awful lot of money for their expansions & renovations.
Charge a $100 fee or so?

I'm a little surprised that Matt Forte is retiring.

The Shadow
05-13-2018, 11:05 PM
I would certainly like to be a Packer for a day!

Pugger
05-14-2018, 07:46 AM
I would certainly like to be a Packer for a day!

That would be great, especially if we could get paid like a real player does for that day.

Deputy Nutz
05-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Packer fan just might be stupid enough to pay for this. They all pay $250.00 for a meaningless piece of paper.

gbgary
05-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Packer fan just might be stupid enough to pay for this. They all pay $250.00 for a meaningless piece of paper.

couldn't guess how much i've spent over the years on hats, t-shirts, jackets, jerseys, tickets, hotels, transportation, sports bars, football cards, cups, koozies, tv subscriptions, video, books, and time etc., on my Packers fandom. it's all pretty much worthless except for the memories, friends, laughs, cuss words, a card or two, and an autographed piece of memorabilia, associated with it all. we're all stupid if that's your measure of it.

ND72
05-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Die-hard Pack fans only retire from being Pack fans when they're dead, or when the incompetent GM ships the GOAT off to Siberia, so I doubt such a venture's gonna make the Pack alotta frogskins.

Rodgers was traded????

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Rodgers was traded????

Favre.

25% of Packer fans retired from Packers fandom after Todd stupidly and unjustly traded away the the hick-hop Gunslinger.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2018, 11:58 AM

There was a time when owning a Packer "stock" was cool. As a one share owner, I used to love attending the Packers' shareholder meeting. My seat was right next to Kap. I loved fist bumping Kap, and would always jokingly ask him, "Yo Kap, whatcha doing here. Aren't ya supposed to be at the Ninners' camp?" Kap was like, "Dude, I OWN the Packers!"

mraynrand
05-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Favre.

25% of Packer fans retired from Packers fandom after Todd stupidly and unjustly traded away the the hick-hop Gunslinger.

BFFFs

ThunderDan
05-15-2018, 01:04 PM
Favre.

I think you mean 90% of BFFF became Viking fans.

ND72
05-15-2018, 09:24 PM
Favre.

HA....ok. "stupidly and unjustly"....ok.

woodbuck27
05-16-2018, 12:33 AM
Favre.

No Packer fan was bigger on Favre than I felt I was and it became simply Aaron Rodgers time behind Center.

I didn't like how TT handled 'the aftermath' of deciding that Favere was out. The $20 Million offer to buy his retirement was 'like pissing into the North wind' as Favre wasn't obviously giving up the game and his desire for a Second Super Bowl Ring.

That was, giving Favre's determination classless.

Secondly as 'the story' goes. TT agreed he was trading Brett Favre to an NFL Team close to his Home and Tampa Bay. When Favre flew out of Green Bay to return South his Agent Bus Cook greeted him upon arrival with the news he was traded. Favre responded more than less "yes I know, I was traded to Tampa Bay."

"Nope", responded his Agent, your now 'a New York Jet'.

Surprize surprize !

Favre had to be thinking Damn. I was lied to again by TT and traded to 'of all places NFL Siberia'.

All this is 'of course' to be fully exposed one day and a Biography or Auto Biography and all 'the inner stuff', and Brett Favre and his impressions of his Packer GM Ted Thompson.

The reality here is what we all should clearly know, and there's little evidence of any true loyalty in Pro Sports. It's strictly business as usual.

mraynrand
05-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Favre wasn't obviously giving up the game and his desire for a Second Super Bowl Ring.

Weird, I kinda thought he already did that:

http://packersinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/giants-favre-int.jpg

mraynrand
05-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Favre had to be thinking Damn. I was lied to again by TT and traded to 'of all places NFL Siberia'.

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Favre-Crying1-300x300.jpg

Zool
05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Since when are the Jets "Siberia"? The crying retirerer chose MN.

ThunderDan
05-16-2018, 09:15 AM

Or not, the Jets made the playoffs in 2006, played horrible in 2007, got Favre in 2008 and improved by 5 games and then after Favre left made it to the AFC Championship game two straight years in '09 and '10.

mraynrand
05-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Since when are the Jets "Siberia"? The crying retirerer chose MN.

He faked that shoulder injury to get out of New York. Purely out of spite for Green Bay.

ThunderDan
05-16-2018, 10:59 AM
He faked that shoulder injury to get out of New York. Purely out of spite for Green Bay.

He did have surgery on the shoulder after the Jets gave him his release. He certainly pulled the wool over the eyes of the Jets management and ownership to get to MN as quickly as possible. .

If I remember correctly, he already had a block of rooms booked at the hotel in GB for the Minn/GB at that point.

mraynrand
05-16-2018, 08:20 PM
He did have surgery on the shoulder after the Jets gave him his release. He certainly pulled the wool over the eyes of the Jets management and ownership to get to MN as quickly as possible. .

If I remember correctly, he already had a block of rooms booked at the hotel in GB for the Minn/GB at that point.

'surgery'

LET'S SEE THE SCAR!

woodbuck27
05-20-2018, 02:19 AM
Has this Thread deteriorated, to the level of something resembling the silliest episode of?:

https://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/stooges-fix.jpg

woodbuck27
05-20-2018, 02:45 AM
I dedicate this POST to honourable Green Bay Packer fans respectful of 'the Laws of Karma'; as IMO that certainly applies to 'the Green Bay Packers Organization' and winning Super Bowl Titles.

Good Karma ='s Hoisting 'the Lombardi Trophy' named after 'the Green Bay Packers Legendary Head Coach and GM', Vincent 'Vince' Thomas Lombardi (June 11, 1913 – September 3, 1970).
I dedicate this Post to all former and present Green Bay Packer players and other members of the Green Bay Packer Organization.

I dedicate this Post to the members of Packerrats that have undying FAITH; those Members that truly believe that 'this year is the year' and another Super Bowl Championship'.

As the saying goes: Our small portion of the entire Packer Nation 'World', spins' because of our different views. What may seem non supportive of the Packer Organization and winning it all this Year. Pessimism? Nope !

My take is rather an analyzed - realistic view.

Viewing the 2018 Final '53 Man' Roster and based in it's talent and winning it all. Some of Packerrats membership, feel the Packers need more to get it done. I personally hope 'the former Group' of Packerrats are correct.

I dedicate this Post to 'Packer Nation'. This is an enormous 'World Wide' Green Bay Packer Fan Base.

woodbuck27

This is a rebuttal and any inference that Brett Favre could be described as 'a Faker or a Quitter'.

Taking a look back at the 2017 Season:

2007 NFL Season - Worst Regular Season Records:

AFC TEAMS

Team W L T PCT PF PA
Miami Dolphins 1 15 0 .063 267 437
New York Jets 4 12 0 .250 268 355 **
KC Chiefs 4 12 0 .250 226 335
Balt Ravens 5 11 0 .313 275 384

NFC Teams
Team W L T PCT PF PA
St. Louis Rams 3 13 0 .188 263 438
Atlanta Falcons 4 12 0 .250 259 414

** Ok then I'll bite: Located on the Southern Border of NFL Siberia (Typ.)

This is a Post from 'a passionate Irish Canuck' - and 'a Green Bay Packer fan', of intense pride.

I dedicate this Post to 'all once solid Members of Packerats.Com'.

In my 'Six Decades' as a Green Bay Packer Fan - THE GREATEST PLAYER and QB in GREEN BAY PACKER History - NO. 4 Brett Favre.

The 2007 NFL Season Final Regular Season Record and Brett Favre's Final Season as 'a Green Bay Packer'.

Team...................... W.....L......T.......PCT..........PF.....PA

Green Bay Packers....13......3.....0......0.813.......435... .291 *

* Playoff Seed NO. 2 - Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packer lost the NFC Championship Game to the New York Giants in Freezing Weather Conditions at Lambeau Field. The New York Giants would go on to defeat the Regular Season Undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII by a score of 17-14.

The 2007 NFL Season All-Pro Team - Offense
QB ** Brett Favre, Green Bay and Tom Brady, New England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Favre

Brett Lorenzo Favre - Born: October 10, 1969 (age 48)in Gulfport, Mississippi - spent the majority of his career with the Green Bay Packers of the NFL.

A 20-year veteran of the NFL, having played quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons in 1991, Packers from 1992 to 2007 - The New York Jets in 2008, and The Minnesota Vikings from 2009 to 2010.

Brett Favre was the first NFL QB to pass for 500 touchdowns, throw for 70,000 yards, complete 6,000 passes, and attempt 10,000 passes. Favre holds most of the Passing Records for a Green Bay Packer QB.
Favre still holds many NFL records of distinction including , most career pass completions, most career pass attempts, most consecutive starts by any NFL Position Player in NFL History, and 'get this' - most times sacked. ++

++ For anyone to ever imply or accuse Favre of just up and quitting that person ignore his 'body of work' that demonstrates clear otherwise.Too often and it's Brett Favre (not Burt Favre) gave a lot more than he deserved to get, in his focus of determination to give Packer fans wins. As often as he went down, Favre managed determinedly 'to rise back up'. To stand in for another exciting win. Too often he provided loyal and faithful Packer fans with 'the exciting Comeback win'; and with what ie TT and MM gave him to work with, might be truly appreciated as amazing

Favre a quitter!? That's utter and disrespectful nonsense of 'the lowest order' of decent common knowledge and good sense.

Brett Favre - The NFL Legend !

What Packer fan could ever forget, NOT respect that game when Brett Favre, literally threw an important TD Pass, while concussed, and afterwards not recalling going onto the field for that play!? 'The LEGENDARY' BRETT FAVRE, threw a TD Pass while (in all likelihood) concussed.

Maybe try to be more like Brett Favre, and if you have them, strap on a pair 'Boys'. Get to 'getting REAL'.

At the time of his retirement, Favre was the NFL's All-time leader in Passing Yards and Passing TD's.

NOTE: both records have since been broken by Peyton Manning.

Brett Favre was a rarity and a unanimous 'shoe in' - First Round Ballot NFL HOFer (2016). It took about 20 Minutes. to decide the obvious and overwhelming respect for Favre's 'considerable NFL Career achievements. Why!?

See (again) above and add all of the following that combined, deserves nothing butrespect unless your hatred trumps 'common decency':

Brett Favre is 'most proud' of his love of and dedication to playing the game of football, and his beloved and Green Bay Packers and their fans. There are many thousands of those still supportive and adoring Packer and Brett Favre fans. The common saying that 'the proof is in the pudding' is exemplified right here and is a strong argument Vs any claim he was 'a faker or quitter':

Brett Favre holds what has been deemed by many analysts and Sports Writers as 'the most amazing, 'Iron Man Record' in the HISTORY OF Pro Sports, owning most consecutive starts by an NFL player at 297 Games. That doesn't describe 'faking it and/or a quitter'.

There may never again be another like Brett Favre and *** superlatives ***:

*** Brett Favre's 11 Pro Bowl invitations, is the third most among quarterbacks in NFL history.

*** He's 'the only NFL player' to win the Associated Press NFL MVP Award three consecutive times, doing so from 1995 to 1997.

*** Brett Favre is only 'one of only 6 quarterbacks' to win the NFL MVP Award and the Super Bowl in the same season.

*** Favre led teams to eight division championships, five NFC Championship Games, and two Super Bowl appearances: Getting 'a Ring' for Super Bowl XXXI defeating the New England Patriots; and back again in Super Bowl XXXII, losing to 'the Denver Broncos'.

*** Brett Favre is a Green Bay Packer HOFer of distinction, having his NO. 4 Jersey Number 'Retired' by the Green Bay Packer Organization.

Post-NFL health issues.

In 2013, Favre was asked to consider unretiring (again)to play for the St. Louis Rams. He turned down the offer, telling WSPZ radio in Washington, D.C. that he has suffered memory loss; that he feared it was related to the multiple concussions suffered throughout his career. He was previously asked in a 2009 interview with NBC how many times he had played with a concussion? ... 'A lot', Favre replied.

Post-NFL career analyst work.
It has also been reported that Favre has turned down repeated offers from the NFL Network to become an on-air analyst.

Long Live Brett Favre. ... Long Live THE GREEN BAY PACKERS.

mraynrand
05-20-2018, 07:10 AM
In his final game for the Jets - a game with playoffs on the line - Favre had three interceptions, including one pick six and posted a 45.1 passer rating. He had a 50% completion percentage. This terrible performance was curious because Favre wasn't under much pressure, and was never sacked. For some strange reason, he just played awful in a critical game, similar to his final game for his previous team.

some sources seem to suggest that the 'injury' was so minor as to need no surgery at all, yet the injury was used to 'cover' for Favre's awful performance:

While playing with what is described as a partial tear of the biceps tendon, Favre contributed to the late-season Jets collapse with nine interceptions and only two touchdown passes in the final five games.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800421

Of course, we all know that Favre's motivation to return to the Vikings was to stick it to GB (he wanted to play for the Vikings, much like Dez Bryant wants to play for an NFC East team, go figure).

https://www.totalpackers.com/2009/05/favre-wants-to-stick-it-to-the-packers/

Anyway, as much as I liked Favre, his constant retirement threats, constant prima donna drama and his terrible behavior at the end, including faking the shoulder injury, were a blotch on a great career. Not a huge problem - a lot of greats go out that way, although not all of them 'expose themselves' the way Favre did. But that water has passed under the bridge.

woodbuck27
05-22-2018, 10:46 AM
In his final game for the Jets - a game with playoffs on the line - Favre had three interceptions, including one pick six and posted a 45.1 passer rating. He had a 50% completion percentage. This terrible performance was curious because Favre wasn't under much pressure, and was never sacked. For some strange reason, he just played awful in a critical game, similar to his final game for his previous team.

some sources seem to suggest that the 'injury' was so minor as to need no surgery at all, yet the injury was used to 'cover' for Favre's awful performance:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800421

Of course, we all know that Favre's motivation to return to the Vikings was to stick it to GB (he wanted to play for the Vikings, much like Dez Bryant wants to play for an NFC East team, go figure).

https://www.totalpackers.com/2009/05/favre-wants-to-stick-it-to-the-packers/

Anyway, as much as I liked Favre, his constant retirement threats, constant prima donna drama and his terrible behavior at the end, including faking the shoulder injury, were a blotch on a great career. Not a huge problem - a lot of greats go out that way, although not all of them 'expose themselves' the way Favre did. But that water has passed under the bridge.

The Judge:

Is that your evidence? Is that the best you could do and slanting your ' NO real evidence ' and YOUR outrageous ignorance and prejudice ?!

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/older-distinguished-judge-making-his-260nw-12264442.jpg

I dismiss this as 'clearly' mere speculation; therefore, because 'YOU' have nothing as real HARD evidence this case is OVER !

Anti-Polar Bear
05-22-2018, 10:57 AM
The Judge:

Is that your evidence? Is that the best you could do and slanting your ' NO real evidence ' and YOUR outrageous ignorance and prejudice ?!

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/older-distinguished-judge-making-his-260nw-12264442.jpg

I dismiss this as 'clearly' mere speculation; therefore, because 'YOU' have nothing as real HARD evidence this case is OVER !

lol :lol:

Anti-Polar Bear
05-22-2018, 11:12 AM
http://packersinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/giants-favre-int.jpg

Drive was hot in that game, so cut the Gunslinger some slack for (perhaps unwisely) going to the hot playa. In hindsight, Favre shoulda thrown the rock at Jennings. Coulda gotten at least 10 more yards after the catch given how out of position the saftey on Jennings' side was.

mraynrand
05-22-2018, 11:57 AM
I dismiss this as 'clearly' mere speculation

I know you can come up with a better counter-argument than "nuh-uh"

SHOW ME THE SCAR!!!