PDA

View Full Version : Read This, Be Smarter: Press Man Coverage

pbmax
05-19-2018, 02:36 PM
One of the better local Packer articles on an actual football technique in a while. Michael Cohen delivers:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/19/packers-defense-cornerbacks-mike-pettine/624139002/

woodbuck27
05-20-2018, 02:47 AM
One of the better local Packer articles on an actual football technique in a while. Michael Cohen delivers:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/19/packers-defense-cornerbacks-mike-pettine/624139002/

Thanks pbmax.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-20-2018, 09:46 AM

Article further supports the notion that Todd was the mother of incompetence. Article contains a bunch of quotes from the "Dude With Many Offspring," Antonio Cromartie.

Throughout the "Run the Table" season, Cro was available to be signed off the streets of Baltimore. Todd opted instead to dance with that sloth Gunter. Granted, Cro was not the pimp he was in his prime, but he would've fared way, way, way better than goddamned Gunter, especially against Julio Jones. Cro understands the game.

Run The Table was nice, but Thompson's decision to hibernate and dance with the likes of Gunter, Hyde (an abomination), Rollins (also a sloth), Randall (mother of inconsistency) and Goodson (who?) after Shields was KIA pretty much doomed the Packers from the get go. At 4-6 with an incompetent GM hibernating, the Pack shoulda just tanked the season for Leonard Fournette.

pbmax
05-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I am sure the 32 year old Cromartie, who played all of four games for the Colts in 2016, was the answer.

Actually, I will let this one slide. Cromartie was cut after taking a knee. I am not in favor of teams remaining bad in order to send messages.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I am sure the 32 year old Cromartie, who played all of four games for the Colts in 2016, was the answer.

Actually, I will let this one slide. Cromartie was cut after taking a knee. I am not in favor of teams remaining bad in order to cow players.

Ron Fucking Wolf would not have stuck with Gunter (and Hyde and Rollins and Goodson) all season long. Say what you will about Cro, but he would've been an upgrade, especially over Gunter.

pbmax
05-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Ron Fucking Wolf would not have stuck with Gunter (and Hyde and Rollins and Goodson) all season long. Say what you will about Cro, but he would've been an upgrade, especially over Gunter.

Impossible to say unless you have film of him at 32. The Jets didn't want him back the year prior and neither of these defenses were the 86 Bears.

But I agree Cro might be sitting out due to issues not related to his remaining athleticism.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Impossible to say unless you have film of him at 32. The Jets didn't want him back the year prior and neither of these defenses were the 86 Bears.

But I agree Cro might be sitting out due to issues not related to his remaining athleticism.

Have you ever seen Gunter play corner? There's no way in Hades Cro woulda sucked worse than Gunter.

Belichick ain't afraid of acquiring greybeards. Hoody has how many rings? Thompson stuck with the status quo, and in doing so, he failed to "do his job," plain and simple. Mother of incompetence, indeed.

pbmax
05-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Have you ever seen Gunter play corner? There's no way in Hades Cro woulda sucked worse than Gunter.

Belichick ain't afraid of acquiring greybeards. Hoody has how many rings? Thompson stuck with the status quo, and in doing so, he failed to "do his job," plain and simple. Mother of incompetence, indeed.

How many graybeard corners does he have? Go read the article again about how he cycles through them in under 5 years.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-22-2018, 10:53 AM
How many graybeard corners does he have? Go read the article again about how he cycles through them in under 5 years.

So? Belichick isn't afraid to "rent" players. An upgrade is an upgrade.

Thompson, on the other hand, would rather stay put with the likes of Gunter and watch them fail time and time again. Incompetent.

woodbuck27
05-22-2018, 12:51 PM

Thanks pbmax for this solid article.

Revis and Cromartie also had weekly film sessions together, according to Dawidoff.

" ... “The best ones are students of the game,” an AFC scout said, “and it becomes more mental than physical. Obviously, you need to be able to run, but you need to know how your opponent will (attack) or has attacked certain play styles. Sounds corny but Sun Tzu talks about this in preparation.”

Just as valuable as his recognition skills was Cromartie’s journal of offensive coordinators. Beginning in San Diego, where Cromartie entered the league as the 17th overall pick in ’06, he acted on a tip from Ross and hall-of-fame defensive back Deion Sanders, a fellow Florida State alum, that stressed the importance of studying the opposing play caller.

So Cromartie kept a portfolio with separate entries for every coordinator he ever faced, and included with each coach was a description of tendencies, formational preferences and how he utilized certain players."

woodbuck27
05-22-2018, 01:02 PM
So? Belichick isn't afraid to "rent" players. An upgrade is an upgrade.

Thompson, on the other hand, would rather stay put with the likes of Gunter and watch them fail time and time again. Incompetent.

TT had that "I'm really satisfied with myself." wrong attitude.

Commonsense and being true to yourself and learning /growing says:

'I want to get better or make it better.' As a PRO can it ever get to "well, we'll just have to see."

With a lazy attitude GM 'the trickle down effect' comes into play and overall from the Coaches to the Roster, generally it gets too: Over the top too relaxed - too comfortable.

Ted Thompson maybe wasn't but he sure appeared unavailable and lazy.

" When the cat's away, the mice will play. "

mraynrand
05-22-2018, 02:23 PM
TT had that "I'm really satisfied with myself." wrong attitude.
With a lazy attitude GM 'the trickle down effect' comes into play and overall from the Coaches to the Roster, generally it gets too: Over the top too relaxed - too comfortable.

Ted Thompson maybe wasn't but he sure appeared unavailable and lazy.

blow it out your bazooka