Here are the dates of the Packers OTAs and minicamp:

OTAs:
May 21-23
May 30-June 1
June 4-7

Minicamp: June 12-14

Joemailman
05-21-2018, 04:47 PM
With no pads, most of the attention will be on the receivers and defensive backs. And this year on the backup quarterbacks.

red
05-21-2018, 04:59 PM
so??????????/

where the hell is todays update then?

Smidgeon
05-21-2018, 05:18 PM
so??????????/

Closed to the public. Open to the public tomorrow.

I think.

Joemailman
05-21-2018, 05:30 PM
so??????????/

Can't find anything. I don't know if it was closed to the press. :huh:

red
05-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Closed to the public. Open to the public tomorrow.

I think.

oh, so we'll hear nothing but glowing reviews and how everyone looks like a pro bowler, and fat mike has everything fixed

Smidgeon
05-21-2018, 08:24 PM
oh, so we'll hear nothing but glowing reviews and how everyone looks like a pro bowler, and fat mike has everything fixed

It's OTAs....so, yeah.

pbmax
05-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
#Packers announce some familiar faces are helping out at OTAs. @NickBarnett is working with the defense, @Jarrettbush with the defense/special teams and Brandon Jackson with the offense. Ex-#Badgers assistant and longtime #NFL assistant Jay Hayes will be a defensive consultant.

bobblehead
05-22-2018, 08:13 AM
News Flash!! Pad level was not a problem.

mraynrand
05-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
#Packers announce some familiar faces are helping out at OTAs. ... @Jarrettbush with the defense/special teams

Special teams only, please.

ThunderDan
05-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Special teams only, please.

Leave Grabby Smurf alone.

Zool
05-22-2018, 08:42 AM

As opposed to other teams who call every player a piece of shit and the GM goes to the press threatening to fire the coaching staff.

ND72
05-22-2018, 01:02 PM
I was at OTA today....for 20 minutes. Had a great plan. Beautiful day. Take my son to see the Packers. 5 minutes in, he's complaining for being there (he's 3, by the way). 15 minutes in, he has to go to the bathroom...no portopotties around. 20 minutes in...he pisses himself in the stands. So if anyone else was there and you saw a dad running with his boy...that was me.

In the 20 minutes I was there I noticed very few things. #1 - Randall Cobb is now VERY short in the WR room. He looked seriously tiny with all those guys. #2 - Josh Jackson is very long. Tall, long arms. #3 - Jaire Alexander is everything I read...very talkative. I could hear him talking the entire time we were there, from the moment he walked on the field. He's also a lot better put together than I thought. Dude's pretty jacked. And, he's very fast. #4 - Oren Burks is very fast. Noticeably faster than the rest of the LB's.

The entire 20 minutes we were there they were all on special team work, except QB's and DL. everyone was in different squads...Gunner/blockers on one end, QB/DL down on other end, everyone else except TE's who were working blocking, in the middle practicing punt blocks. When we left they were all (except QB) working on punt return from the catch. guys were in pairs at 10 yards, when the returner caught the ball, action took place. Was actually a neat drill. All on breaking down, finding the ball for the kicking team, and sustaining blocks by the returners.

Kizer has a nice arm. He's also insanely bigger than the rest of our QB's. Rodgers looks good. Interestingly, you could see a lot of players very friendly, and "cheering" on hundley. Rodgers warmed up with the OL, Kizer and the RFA kid were at the end with the rest of the rookies during warmups, and Hundley was with all the backs and receivers.

Joemailman
05-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Packers guard Lane Taylor said he underwent ankle surgery after the season and likely won't work at all during OTAs. He said it was just to clean up a linger issue. He missed the Saints game last year (Oct. 22) because of an ankle injury. He expects to be back for the start of training camp.

CBs Kevin King (shoulder) and Quinten Rollins (Achilles) both were on the field in limited capacities. Both finished last season on IR. Also back from IR and working: Ty Montgomery (wrist), CB Herb Waters (shoulder), S Kentrell Brice (ankle), T Jason Springs (knee), T Kevin Murphy (foot).

It's a hamstring injury for WR Davante Adams, who did not practice at Tuesday's OTA. He came out halfway through practice. Others with injuries: WR Trevor Davis (hamstring), WR Colby Pearson (hamstring), OLB Clay Matthews (knee), OLB Nick Perry (ankle), LG Lane Taylor (ankle), RT Bryan Bulaga (knee), TE Emanuel Byrd (hamstring). Absent not due to injuries: S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, CB Tramon Williams.

The Packers' new-look quarterback group with DeShone Kizer (9) and Tim Boyle (8) along with Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Tramon Williams are the only non-injured players missing from the Packers OTA on Tuesday.

Mike McCarthy said CBs Kevin King (shoulder) and Quinten Rollins (Achilles) are practicing in a controlled environment during OTAs after coming off season-ending surgeries. Certainly, the Packers would like to have those corners on the field with the top-two draft picks Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson.

Mike McCarthy said Davante Adams is "battling a few things" that have him working in a limited capacity during OTA practices. We'll see later today what, if anything, the Packers' No. 1 receiver can do.

OTAs should be great work for new backup QB DeShone Kizer since coach Mike McCarthy said these practices once again will be pass-heavy. McCarthy described Kizer as "young. He has talent. I like the way he gets the ball out of his hand in the pocket. I can't really comment on how he was coached or utilized in the past, but this is a different offense."

Looks like the WR's are in mid season form. :bang:

pbmax
05-22-2018, 04:27 PM
Adams hammy not a big deal, he jumped over a ref leaving the field: https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Green-Bay-Packers-WR-Davante-Adams-Nitschke-Field-leap-shows-hamstring-is-no-big-deal-118440364

Packer Report @PackerReport
Attentive, bright and hard working - Philbin's description of Kizer. Likes his development in early going.

Philbin wants the offense to get to a point where there are plays the defense has to stop - in other words, go-to things that work week after week after week, regardless of opponent.

:bang:

red
05-22-2018, 07:04 PM
the injury report today reads like a whos who of packers walking wounded from the last few years

Joemailman
05-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Adams hammy not a big deal, he jumped over a ref leaving the field: https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Green-Bay-Packers-WR-Davante-Adams-Nitschke-Field-leap-shows-hamstring-is-no-big-deal-118440364

Attentive, bright and hard working - Philbin's description of Kizer. Likes his development in early going.

Philbin wants the offense to get to a point where there are plays the defense has to stop - in other words, go-to things that work week after week after week, regardless of opponent.

Don't you think most offenses have certain "Bread and Butter"plays that their offense executes well? Plays that can then be used to set up other plays that are put in on a weekly basis based on the opponent's weaknesses?

mraynrand
05-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Man you gotta love Packerrats - a guy will let his kid wet himself, just so he can give us the skinny on OTAs. I salute you ND72! Excelsior!

pbmax
05-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Don't you think most offenses have certain "Bread and Butter"plays that their offense executes well? Plays that can then be used to set up other plays that are put in on a weekly basis based on the opponent's weaknesses?

Yeah, I can think of way to interpret that in a positive way.

My fear is though that this is more of the same winning one on one matchups again rather than scheming smarter.

That we are in this position is flat weird. Some of Stubby's best coaching has been he looked over matched and he still found a way around the defense via scheme. Running versus the Williams wall, passing around Revis in New England. He can do it, but he doesn't like to base his offense around that idea. it causes a lot of first period problems versus teams with good defenses.

ND72
05-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Man you gotta love Packerrats - a guy will let his kid wet himself, just so he can give us the skinny on OTAs. I salute you ND72! Excelsior!

Eh...I didn't let him wet himself. I just expected there to be at least ONE port o potty somewhere in the area. That would be #dadfail today. He was ok. I got him a doughnut at Kwik Trip after cleaning him up.

mraynrand
05-22-2018, 08:39 PM
Eh...I didn't let him wet himself. I just expected there to be at least ONE port o potty somewhere in the area. That would be #dadfail today. He was ok. I got him a doughnut at Kwik Trip after cleaning him up.

I was just joking around. I've had my share of those moments with the kids too...

RashanGary
05-22-2018, 11:18 PM
Mike Daniels looks in great shape. With Kenny Clark entering his prime and all of the depth, i have a feeling Daniels is gonna have a career year rushing the passer.

MadScientist
05-23-2018, 11:02 AM

Isn't that a whole lot better than the last couple of years where they ran things week after week that didn't work, and just hope Rodgers can improvise and bail the bad planning out?

Do something really well, make the defense over-commit to stopping it and then exploit the holes they just created. The problem (or at least one of the problems) with the win individual matchup bullshit was that the Packers weren't good at doing it, so defenses just yawned, played press and tried to kill Rodgers before someone came open on a second or third improv attempt.

Otherwise you need to be a great schemer and tailor your plan to the weaknesses of your opponent. It works for NE, but no one else seems to have been able to master it.

pbmax
05-23-2018, 10:37 PM
Isn't that a whole lot better than the last couple of years where they ran things week after week that didn't work, and just hope Rodgers can improvise and bail the bad planning out?

Do something really well, make the defense over-commit to stopping it and then exploit the holes they just created. The problem (or at least one of the problems) with the win individual matchup bullshit was that the Packers weren't good at doing it, so defenses just yawned, played press and tried to kill Rodgers before someone came open on a second or third improv attempt.

Otherwise you need to be a great schemer and tailor your plan to the weaknesses of your opponent. It works for NE, but no one else seems to have been able to master it.

There are two separate issues. One is that what you do well versus one team may not work versus another. Always having those plays on the plan each week could limit variation versus a good team where you need it.

Second, Rodgers might be able to make many things work. Why concentrate on just a few?

Constructed properly, the base principles for these plays might lead to endless variation making the defenses life tougher. But that has not been the way of things for the last 3-4 years. Its been Rodgers versus the prepared defense. I truly hope Philbin changes the offense a significant amount.

Zool
05-24-2018, 12:21 AM
There are two separate issues. One is that what you do well versus one team may not work versus another. Always having those plays on the plan each week could limit variation versus a good team where you need it.

Second, Rodgers might be able to make many things work. Why concentrate on just a few?

Constructed properly, the base principles for these plays might lead to endless variation making the defenses life tougher. But that has not been the way of things for the last 3-4 years. Its been Rodgers versus the prepared defense. I truly hope Philbin changes the offense a significant amount.

You create a seal here, and a seal here, and the running back goes through the lane created.

You think Philbin is saying they won't have a shit ton of plays available for each game? Is it possible he wants some bread and butter plays? Shit that works when you need something guaranteed?

run pMc
05-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Reminds me of a quote from a book on Lombardi and the Packers:

During a practice one time, Vince Lombardi didn't like the way that the offense was running the power sweep against the starting defense so he kept them running it over...and over...and over.

This meant that Gary Knafelc was down blocking to Nitschke in the middle. It also meant that Knafelc was trying to block a brutally tough crazy man, play after play.

Finally, after about the fifteenth time running it and Lombardi yelling, "Run it again!", Knafelc blew up and yelled, "Damn it Coach, by now even Ray knows that it's a sweep!" Lombardi turned away immediately, hiding the fact that he was almost in tears from having to restrain his laughter so badly.

pbmax
05-24-2018, 07:51 AM
You create a seal here, and a seal here, and the running back goes through the lane created.

You think Philbin is saying they won't have a shit ton of plays available for each game? Is it possible he wants some bread and butter plays? Shit that works when you need something guaranteed?

You'll have to ask Patler, Shadow and Maxie for specifics, but between the Flex defense and other innovations, you will see that the Packers running game was eventually caught up with.

McCarthy's offense is almost as old as Capers defense. The current short throw version is maddening but that is beside the point.

You need to be able to adjust. I am much more interested in that than in a base level of plays you do well. I want the defense in a bad way off the snap.

His quote is coach speak which means it could mean almost anything. But my fear is that it means winning more one on one battles. I want the talent AND the schemer to be working at full throttle.

ThunderDan
05-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Philbin wac the OC from 2007-2011. Those were times when our offensive game plan varied widely week to week. People on here were screaming about not running enough when we played the 32nd ranked pass defense.

And the next week we would be 50/50 against a bad run D team.

pbmax
05-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Philbin wac the OC from 2007-2011. Those were times when our offensive game plan varied widely week to week. People on here were screaming about not running enough when we played the 32nd ranked pass defense.

And the next week we would be 50/50 against a bad run D team.

I still have some hope. But that was a LONG time ago.

NewsBruin
05-24-2018, 03:18 PM

I wish I could give more praise to this post.

Joemailman
05-24-2018, 10:39 PM
I wish I could give more praise to this post.

Why? It didn't happen.

NewsBruin
05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
My bad, Joe. I didn't think about our own, actual Fat Mike. I thought this was lampooning every sports teams' training camp preseason stories that everyone is finally healthy for the first time in their lives and this year they have the secret and motivation to win it all. Duh on me.

red
05-25-2018, 04:46 PM
not much news getting leaked out or reported it seems

did they finish the mini camp? or did they call it off because of too many injuries

Joemailman
05-25-2018, 04:54 PM

did they finish the mini camp? or did they call it off because of too many injuries

OTAs:
May 21-23
May 30-June 1
June 4-7

Minicamp: June 12-14

2 of the days must have been closed practices. Hopefully that will change. Pretty sure the minicamp practices are all open to the public, weather permitting.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2018, 01:27 AM
According to McCarren, Justin McCray will get first shot at RG, and Campen praised his offseason work. McCarren says the rookie CBs look the part and Rodgers looks good. I've also heard praise for Reggie Gilbert. That's about the extent of the minicamp news that I've read.

Joemailman
05-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Packers could be starting 2 UDFA's at Guard. James Campen is one of the unsung heroes of this team.

mraynrand
05-26-2018, 07:19 AM
According to McCarren, Justin McCray will get first shot at RG, and Campen praised his offseason work. McCarren says the rookie CBs look the part and Rodgers looks good. I've also heard praise for Reggie Gilbert. That's about the extent of the minicamp news that I've read.

If the Packers had just placed a few port-a-potties near the practice field, we'd have a far more complete report!

Smidgeon
05-26-2018, 08:32 PM
2 of the days must have been closed practices. Hopefully that will change. Pretty sure the minicamp practices are all open to the public, weather permitting.

I read one per week will be open to the public.

MadScientist
05-29-2018, 11:42 AM
This quote from Kizer is probably not a surprise given where he came from:
“After being here almost two months now, it’s obvious on why quarterbacks come here and leave much better than when they came here,” Kizer said. “This QB school, coach Mike McCarthy and the system he’s put together and obviously this amazing coaching staff he’s put together this past year has done an awesome job defining some of the things within the game that I, quite frankly, didn’t even know about.”

From this article https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/25/new-packers-qb-deshone-kizer-focusing-on-footwork-discipline/, which overall is encouraging about his future.

mraynrand
05-29-2018, 02:35 PM
This quote from Kizer is probably not a surprise given where he came from:

From this article https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/25/new-packers-qb-deshone-kizer-focusing-on-footwork-discipline/, which overall is encouraging about his future.

It also suggests that Hue Jackson may be following a Mike Sherman trajectory.

pbmax
05-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Packers like Kizer is the theme this week, but its kinda thin:

“He's very eager,” offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. “Even in Phase 1 (of the offseason program), in that phase where we didn't even get on the field, you liked the way he kind of handles himself. I liked him in the meeting room. (I) was in the quarterback room with him a little bit and the unit room. He's attentive, he's bright, he's very, very hardworking.

“So I think so far, in a new system for him, and it's been, what, five weeks into I guess, I like the development I've seen. Even just the way he's attacked it in terms of putting in the extra time to learn the adjustments of the offense, not just the primary way, but maybe the secondary adjustments that go with a lot of plays in the system. I think he's off to a really good start.”

As per usual, its better than the alternative, but ultimately meaningless.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/29/packers-young-qb-deshone-kizer/651795002/

woodbuck27
05-30-2018, 01:42 AM
I was at OTA today....for 20 minutes. Had a great plan. Beautiful day. Take my son to see the Packers. 5 minutes in, he's complaining for being there (he's 3, by the way). 15 minutes in, he has to go to the bathroom...no portopotties around. 20 minutes in...he pisses himself in the stands. So if anyone else was there and you saw a dad running with his boy...that was me.

In the 20 minutes I was there I noticed very few things. #1 - Randall Cobb is now VERY short in the WR room. He looked seriously tiny with all those guys. #2 - Josh Jackson is very long. Tall, long arms. #3 - Jaire Alexander is everything I read...very talkative. I could hear him talking the entire time we were there, from the moment he walked on the field. He's also a lot better put together than I thought. Dude's pretty jacked. And, he's very fast. #4 - Oren Burks is very fast. Noticeably faster than the rest of the LB's.

The entire 20 minutes we were there they were all on special team work, except QB's and DL. everyone was in different squads...Gunner/blockers on one end, QB/DL down on other end, everyone else except TE's who were working blocking, in the middle practicing punt blocks. When we left they were all (except QB) working on punt return from the catch. guys were in pairs at 10 yards, when the returner caught the ball, action took place. Was actually a neat drill. All on breaking down, finding the ball for the kicking team, and sustaining blocks by the returners.

Kizer has a nice arm. He's also insanely bigger than the rest of our QB's. Rodgers looks good. Interestingly, you could see a lot of players very friendly, and "cheering" on hundley. Rodgers warmed up with the OL, Kizer and the RFA kid were at the end with the rest of the rookies during warmups, and Hundley was with all the backs and receivers.

An excellent report and when your so fortunate to do it again a suggestion:

Make sure you bring the son and .... carry a blanket with you. So if he has an accident you simply wrap that around him and change his drawers.

Thanks for the inside.

Repped

woodbuck27
05-30-2018, 01:46 AM
Looks like the WR's are in mid season form. :bang:

If there is one Position Group that has to stay reasonably healthy it's at WR.

It's early and conditioning takes time.

woodbuck27
05-30-2018, 01:51 AM
Packers like Kizer is the theme this week, but its kinda thin:

As per usual, its better than the alternative, but ultimately meaningless.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/29/packers-young-qb-deshone-kizer/651795002/

In the NFL that NO. 2 QB has to be solid.

I hope that the NO. 2 QB and as he should, will get in some time and Practises with the Top Starters.

It's not like 'the Packers' NO. 2 is any threat to the arguably best Football Player in the NFL. He has to get really comfortable with the starting 'O'.

MadScientist
05-31-2018, 09:35 AM
In the NFL that NO. 2 QB has to be solid.

I hope that the NO. 2 QB and as he should, will get in some time and Practises with the Top Starters.

It's not like 'the Packers' NO. 2 is any threat to the arguably best Football Player in the NFL. He has to get really comfortable with the starting 'O'.

Ideally we don't find out if the #2 is solid or not. Practice time with the #1 offense happens in camp, and likely some of preseason game 3. Once the season starts practice time is so limited that the #2 doesn't have a chance for reps with the starters. That's just modern NFL life.

pbmax
05-31-2018, 11:24 AM
MM: Marcedes Lewis an excellent addition. Been a "prime-time" player in league. Likes experience of the TE group.

MM on Byron Bell: Increases competition of OL. "Great to add him to our roster. Going to take it slow with him."

Graham has "really connected" with Rodgers, MM says.

MM on anthem policy: Been collaboration with players and Mark Murphy. "Our focus is to be focused on the positive opportunity to be part of progress."

McCarthy jokes that coaching intern Nick Barnett needs to be held back from jumping into drills. Barnett, Jarrett Bush and Brandon Jackson are here for OTAs.

Brought "big smile" to McCarthy to see the social media post of Aaron Jones helping a woman in a wheelchair.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-31-2018, 12:02 PM
McCarthy jokes that coaching intern Nick Barnett needs to be held back from jumping into drills.

Good to see Barnett, a Sherman pick, back in Title Town. Hand Barnett a permanent gag!

gbgary
05-31-2018, 12:39 PM
Good to see Barnett, a Sherman pick, back in Title Town. Hand Barnett a permanent gag!

if ha ha missing this ota (after last year's debacle) isn't enough to make nick gag, nothing will. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/wink5.gif

Joemailman
05-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
What has Mike Pettine's impact been on the Packers' D? Said Mike McCarthy: "Really good energy, really like the atmosphere. The coaching staff as a whole is bringing a ton of energy. That's refreshing."

Bold is my emphasis. A stab at the previous coaching staff?

ThunderDan
05-31-2018, 04:48 PM

Maybe, or maybe things run differently seems different, new and fresh.

MadScientist
05-31-2018, 04:49 PM

Stab at himself if the defensive staff wasn't bringing the energy and he did nothing about it until this year.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 12:40 AM
Ideally we don't find out if the #2 is solid or not. Practice time with the #1 offense happens in camp, and likely some of preseason game 3. Once the season starts practice time is so limited that the #2 doesn't have a chance for reps with the starters. That's just modern NFL life.

That's sadly for the Team and the NO . 2 the way it seems now.

Vince Lombardi wouldn't be impressed and the code this and that and the NFL now that will eventually turn it into something unlike what even we see today.

More and more it's just 'the way of life' and generally a theme of making things worse.

pbmax
06-01-2018, 07:46 AM

Interesting comment from someone who let Kevin Green go.

mraynrand
06-01-2018, 09:13 AM

Everything in this offseason has pretty much been an admission of organizational/coaching stagnation.

pbmax
06-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Everything in this offseason has pretty much been an admission of organizational/coaching stagnation.

I also am impressed at how much he is allowed to approvingly critique all the off season moves while standing a half step to the right.

mraynrand
06-01-2018, 09:41 AM
I also am impressed at how much he is allowed to approvingly critique all the off season moves while standing a half step to the right.

All he really had to do was toss out a single line saying that some complacency on his part had crept in, or something like that. Otherwise, it looks like he's just throwing everyone else under the bus. (Maybe he did and I missed it, but I don't recall anything like him taking some ownership/responsibility, beyond some really oblique references to re-working the offense, etc.)

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 08:06 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfQfU_cUPeeo2v2Wq95fDYr42xLbifC CT70duwDQh2MJpAdiX9

Slower than pouring cold molasses.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 08:27 PM

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/02/10/kevin-greene-eyeing-return-nfl/80179502/

Kevin Greene eyeing return to NFL

BY: Pete Dougherty, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin Published 7:35 p.m. CT Feb. 10, 2016

" ...Greene, fresh off his Hall of Fame honor, now wants to get back into coaching in the NFL. He even said he’d love to return to the Packers.

When Greene left, McCarthy and Capers consolidated the outside linebackers and inside linebackers jobs into one position group, with Winston Moss as coach and Scott McCurley his assistant. During individual drills at practice, Moss works with the inside linebackers and McCurley with the outside.

Whether Greene burned his bridge with McCarthy because of his unexpected departure, only McCarthy knows. ** The Packers, though, had no openings on their defensive staff this offseason. ** "

Comment woodbuck27:

** I question that statement, or depending on the timing and final hires? Wouldn't it have been a treat to see Kevin Green on the sideline and hahaha on the field again. That Guy certainly would have brought life to the Packers Coaching staff.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-let-go-at-season-end-scott-mccurley-reportedly-returning/article_9fdffbc9-7a0e-5a05-8e8d-41411118dc7f.html

Packers: Let go at season end, Scott McCurley reportedly returning as defensive assistant

BY: JASON WILDE For the State Journal Jan 20, 2018

" ...Meanwhile, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported last week the team was hiring Patrick Graham to coach linebackers or the defensive line, but his role has not been clarified, either. That would mean that at least one of the defensive line coaching spots or one of the linebacker coaching positions would still need to be filled. ..."

Joemailman
06-01-2018, 08:41 PM

Reports were Greene wanted out at the time because he wanted to watch his son's high school games. He stayed out of coaching for 3 years before returning in 2017. Do you have information to the contrary?

pbmax
06-02-2018, 07:45 AM
Reports were Greene wanted out at the time because he wanted to watch his son's high school games. He stayed out of coaching for 3 years before returning in 2017. Do you have information to the contrary?

And when he returned, he went to the Jets. I thought reports here (your mileage may vary with us as a source) that his wife didn't want to be in Green Bay.

But it doesn't matter. If high energy was the missing key ingredient, then letting Green go was a mistake.

Its always a mistake to try and read peoples' minds, but the family issue is usually a cover for another story. I never got the sense that McCarthy was dying to have Green back. SO I basically think the energy story is just today's coach speak theme.

The Shadow
06-02-2018, 09:38 AM

And that is a very positive sign : the Pack finally recognized it & took steps to fix it.

pbmax
06-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Defense: https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/New-Green-Bay-Packers-defensive-coordinator-Mike-Pettine-making-killer-first-impression-118719841

The older group is going through the defense, which has a history of playing sterling pass defense, for the third time. The rookies, who might wind up determining the success or failure of Pettine’s first season, are going through the playbook for the first time. Getting them up to speed will be critical. Alexander worked with the No. 1 defense in the slot this week, intercepting passes on Wednesday and Thursday. Jackson has worked on the outside and in the slot with the second unit. Burks is with the second unit, as well.

King is not doing team drills, so Jackson's stint with the first team is probably temporary for now.

pbmax
06-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
In Sunday's @WiStateJournal ~ 'If you take that doubt out of the equation, now they’ll play fast, they’ll play with an edge. That’s what we’re trying to do.' In Mike Pettine's scheme, #Packers hope to eliminate the confusion that plagued them last year.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/in-packers-defensive-coordinator-mike-pettine-s-scheme-reducing-confusion/article_e4b86d47-6ef5-5053-8897-92773f764d66.html

Joemailman
06-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
In Sunday's @WiStateJournal ~ 'If you take that doubt out of the equation, now they’ll play fast, they’ll play with an edge. That’s what we’re trying to do.' In Mike Pettine's scheme, #Packers hope to eliminate the confusion that plagued them last year.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/in-packers-defensive-coordinator-mike-pettine-s-scheme-reducing-confusion/article_e4b86d47-6ef5-5053-8897-92773f764d66.html

What I detect they are saying is that sure and fast is better than confused and slow.

pbmax
06-03-2018, 08:57 AM
What I detect they are saying is that sure and fast is better than confused and slow.

He also directly puts the approach on time and younger players.

bobblehead
06-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Not sure I'm buying this. MM has had a lot of success in this league with confused and slow.

texaspackerbacker
06-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Having the greatest QB in the history of the world playing for you masks and makes up for a whole helluva lot.

pbmax
06-04-2018, 01:05 PM
McCarthy on Matthews: No long-term concerns. Schedule midweek for surgery. "It's unfortunate but it's for a great cause." Has no problem with his players giving back. "it's a great day for the fans."

McCarthy on Clinton-Dix's absence: "Things do come up." Personal situation.

Triner gets first reps at snapper.

Bradley put last three snaps on ground.

Adams’ day apparently ends with him jumping over Rollins.

Joemailman
06-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Davante Adams (hamstring) wasn't the only WR to return. So did Trevor Davis (hamstring) and Randall Cobb, whose absence last week was not injury related. CB Demetri Goodson (calf) and TE Emanuel Byrd (hamstring) also returned

pbmax
06-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
Partial explanation for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix's absence from voluntary OTAs: "He's had a personal situation that he's attending to, I have no concerns," coach Mike McCarthy said. Still doesn't mean it isn't a contract issue. Clinton-Dix is in the...
https://t.co/6pgWetaV6J

Adams did individual drills but looks like he’s still limited. Not doing 11-on-11s.

Davante Adams (hamstring) wasn't the only WR to return. So did Trevor Davis (hamstring) and Randall Cobb, whose absence last week was not injury related. CB Demetri Goodson (calf) and TE Emanuel Byrd (hamstring) also returned.
https://t.co/MLgRSk3iSb

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
#Packers coach Mike McCarthy says Clay Matthews will have surgery around midweek. His thoughts on Matthews getting hit in the face: "I think he needs to work on his off hand, mid-side and release of the ball."

pbmax
06-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
McCarty says he won't overreact to Clay Matthews' broken nose, still supports charity softball game: "I think it's great on a number of fronts any time your players give back to charity, involved in the community. It's a great day for the fans."

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
McCarthy says #Packers S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has been absent from voluntary OTAs because of personal situation, declines to go into further specifics about attendance.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
McCarthy on finding role for Ty Montgomery despite #Packers' RB depth: "We have to take advantage of Ty's skills. There's no question about that, and the offense is suited for that."

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
First we’ve seen of new #Packers punter JK Scott. Missed his first, but punting from midfield (pinning the football deep), here were his final 7 unofficial hangtimes: 3.93, 4.13, 4.62, 4.23, 4.55, 4.45, 4.55. Took some time to get going, but pretty consistent once he did.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
Still no sight of #Packers S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at voluntary OTAs. Randall Cobb and Mason Crosby have returned after missing Thursday.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
#Packers C Corey Linsley did not participate today because of a back injury. WR Michael Clark was out with an ankle, and OL Alex Light had a shoulder. WR Colby Pearson, OLB Clay Matthews, OLB Nick Perry, LG Lane Taylor, RT Bryan Bulaga and OT Jason Spriggs remain out.

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
#Packers WR Davante Adams practiced for first time (at least at an open session) this spring, but was limited to no team reps.

pbmax
06-04-2018, 01:49 PM
(New injuries in parenthesis). Merely five OL not practicing. Bakhtiari, Patrick, Day, McCray and Pankey form first unit.

No practice for #Packers: Pearson, Clinton-Dix, Matthews, Perry, Linsley (back), Taylor, Light (shoulder), Bulaga, Spriggs, M Clark (ankle)

ND72
06-04-2018, 02:43 PM
I went again for a while today, I'll post some pictures.

ND72
06-04-2018, 03:17 PM
ok maybe i won't... can't get them to show up.

pbmax
06-04-2018, 03:25 PM
ok maybe i won't... can't get them to show up.

PM me the link to one and I will see what I can do.

Joemailman
06-14-2018, 09:29 PM
More "Aaron Jones looks bigger" news:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/14/packers-rb-aaron-jones-definitely-looks-bigger/

“You can tell, just looking at his legs when he first came in,” Sirmans said. “That was probably the weakest part of his game, his lower body strength. I know he’s worked in that area. I know he’s gotten stronger in that area.”

Sirmans said Jones hasn’t lost any quickness. He’s expecting the extra size to help Jones’ durability and elusiveness.

“I’m expecting big things from him,” Sirmans said.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DficQH3W0AE-QKJ.jpg

Joemailman
06-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
That's it for the Packers offseason program. Next time they're on the field is July 26.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Ty Montgomery back at minicamp after being excused yesterday because of the birth of his son.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Other than Bryan Bulaga, coach Mike McCarthy said he didn't have any concerns about injured/rehabbing players being ready for training camp. It still seems likely Bulaga will open camp on PUP given that he tore his ACL in November.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Mike McCarthy had the strength coaches, nutritionists and other staff members speak to the team today on the final day of the offseason program about expectations between now and training camp. "Really it's just to prepare them for the next step in the process, which is what goes on the next five weeks," McCarthy said. He called it "one of our best offseasons as far as the amount of work we were able to get done and the quality of the work."

mraynrand
06-15-2018, 08:29 AM
“Process”

gbgary
06-15-2018, 09:59 AM
“Process”

drinking game. set up 4 or 5 shots of whatever and they'll be gone by the end of an MM presser.

pbmax
06-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Every year is the best so far in some weird sub-category; best this year in amount of work done and quality.

It seems that the better the offseason the worse the results.

mraynrand
06-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Every year is the best so far in some weird sub-category; best this year in amount of work done and quality.

Someone needs to be ‘impactful’

Fritz
06-15-2018, 04:14 PM

I would love for WhinyMike - or any NFL head coach - to come out and say the whole offseason was lousy: GM acquisitions were useless, the rookies struggled to learn anything, and the vetrrans were lazy. Oh, and the coaches' anal retentiveness was causing copius amounts of heartburn and constipation.