PDA

View Full Version : Marcedes Lewis Signing With Packers

pbmax
05-24-2018, 06:23 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Tight end Marcedes Lewis says he's signing with Packers https://ift.tt/2ILNX4x #Packers

red
05-24-2018, 08:25 PM
linebacker help, we need more linebackers

he was a decent player, but do we really need him?

ND72
05-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Sounds like they've been in contact with him for a long time as they wanted a "top end" blocking tight end. Sounded as if they can play Graham as WR 3/4, and still have a TE in the package.

pbmax
05-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Ben Fennell @BenFennell_NFL
Listen to #Eagles DC Jim Schwartz.. 13 (3TE) personnel is a nightmare for defenses. It is the answer to the ever-evolving subpackage NFL.
Get 3 TEs who can block, catch, run. Look at the 2017 Eagles offense and how they manipulated defenses with the use of Ertz, Celek, Burton

James Light @JamesALight
Jim Schwartz on why 13 & 22 Personnel groups are the toughest to defend

https://twitter.com/JamesALight/status/875890820183969792

Radagast
05-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Two TE sets with Graham and Lewis could be a winning combination.

mraynrand
05-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Listen to #Eagles DC Jim Schwartz.. 13 (3TE) personnel is a nightmare for defenses. It is the answer to the ever-evolving subpackage NFL.
Get 3 TEs who can block, catch, run. Look at the 2017 Eagles offense and how they manipulated defenses with the use of Ertz, Celek, Burton

James Light @JamesALight

I heard the suggestion in there of the general principle that Capers liked - the ability for your defense to play against a number of different formations without substitution. OK, so that's pretty much 'duh' but in practice it has to be pretty challenging. But given the number of offenses like the Packers that liked to run the 'hurry up' no sub offense, being 'multiple' with a base defense is essential. Oh, and nickel is base. :)

pbmax
05-25-2018, 09:49 AM
I heard the suggestion in there of the general principle that Capers liked - the ability for your defense to play against a number of different formations without substitution. OK, so that's pretty much 'duh' but in practice it has to be pretty challenging. But given the number of offenses like the Packers that liked to run the 'hurry up' no sub offense, being 'multiple' with a base defense is essential. Oh, and nickel is base. :)

And I think that is why Schwartz is saying the challenge now is if the offense can run and pass from heavy personnel. Because they have moved to nickel and speedier personnel, the worrisome threat is a bigger offense that can pass.

mraynrand
05-25-2018, 09:52 AM
And I think that is why Schwartz is saying the challenge now is if the offense can run and pass from heavy personnel. Because they have moved to nickel and speedier personnel, the worrisome threat is a bigger offense that can pass.

thus all the tall receivers, no?

pbmax
05-25-2018, 10:23 AM
thus all the tall receivers, no?

I think you are right, but I am not certain that is the direction McCarthy/Philbin are moving.

I think they prefer height/speed if elite talent isn't available (Jennings, Cobb, Adams, once a generation find like Driver). But does it change the offense? This seems more personnel evaluation preferences.

The way spread offense torments a defense is to put your worst athletes into coverage (SS, ILB) or run routes that abuse a certain coverage. Tall WR isn't normally doing that by themselves unless you get a certain Smurf set at CB.

But they could zig while all others zag and run heavy and push around smaller defenses. Adams and someone might turn into Jordy and James.

That being said, the best thing the Packers D has going for it from last year is that the D line and Martinez can defend the run with 5 guys.

bobblehead
05-25-2018, 02:12 PM

James Light @JamesALight

I agree which is why I like signing Bennett and Kendrick last year before Bennett became...well, himself.

Problem is that Graham can't block and Mercedes can no longer run. The key to his statement was "block, catch, run"

This is why MM is outdated and finished imo. First, he has always thought having a blocking TE was a good idea. Kevin Barry blocking as a TE was a good idea. A guy 70 pounds lighter than Barry that can't run a route anymore is...well...kevin barry light.

Now I said I can be onboard with Graham as our TE since MM can't figure out how to use a multi talented TE anyway, but now we sign a no catch blocking TE. Are we going to run like we did when Hundley was the QB or are we going to call 10 runs a game like we did against Carolina?

Wist like to talk about Capers being clueless with the 2-4, but honestly I think when it comes to TE play MM has no fucking clue whatsoever and this signing proves it. Teams will put 8 men in the box whenever Lewis is in the game, we will run into their teeth and MM will wonder how in the world they knew we wouldn't pass the ball.

Edit: He might get really creative and have Lewis pass block and send 3 WR into a route and wonder why no one got open.

woodbuck27
05-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Tight end Marcedes Lewis says he's signing with Packers https://ift.tt/2ILNX4x #Packers

This move is a further attempt to ensure more protection for Aaron Rodgers.

It's another piece of the puzzel tat was missing and has been at least in it's efforts addressed.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2018, 01:22 AM
I agree which is why I like signing Bennett and Kendrick last year before Bennett became...well, himself.

Problem is that Graham can't block and Mercedes can no longer run. The key to his statement was "block, catch, run"

This is why MM is outdated and finished imo. First, he has always thought having a blocking TE was a good idea. Kevin Barry blocking as a TE was a good idea. A guy 70 pounds lighter than Barry that can't run a route anymore is...well...kevin barry light.

Now I said I can be onboard with Graham as our TE since MM can't figure out how to use a multi talented TE anyway, but now we sign a no catch blocking TE. Are we going to run like we did when Hundley was the QB or are we going to call 10 runs a game like we did against Carolina?

Wist like to talk about Capers being clueless with the 2-4, but honestly I think when it comes to TE play MM has no fucking clue whatsoever and this signing proves it. Teams will put 8 men in the box whenever Lewis is in the game, we will run into their teeth and MM will wonder how in the world they knew we wouldn't pass the ball.

Edit: He might get really creative and have Lewis pass block and send 3 WR into a route and wonder why no one got open.

I'm not sure why this rant about McCarthy not utilizing TEs well. When he had a guy like Graham (Finley and Cook), he utilized them well. It would be great to have three great, all around TEs. There aren't many teams that even have two decent ones. The Chargers with Gates and Henry may have been the closest. Philadelphia did fine with three players with a similar skill set as the Packers current group. Ertz and Graham being the flex TEs, Celek and Lewis being the blocking TEs, and Burton and Kendricks being the undersized flex/H-Back types.

bobblehead
05-26-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure why this rant about McCarthy not utilizing TEs well. When he had a guy like Graham (Finley and Cook), he utilized them well. It would be great to have three great, all around TEs. There aren't many teams that even have two decent ones. The Chargers with Gates and Henry may have been the closest. Philadelphia did fine with three players with a similar skill set as the Packers current group. Ertz and Graham being the flex TEs, Celek and Lewis being the blocking TEs, and Burton and Kendricks being the undersized flex/H-Back types.

Celek and Ertz both have good all around games. Both can "run, block, catch". Its true that they both lean a bit better in one area, but Graham is the worst blocking TE I have ever seen and Mercedes is no longer a threat to do anything other than block (and as I said, a T lined up at TE is the same).

The 2 examples of TE you mentioned MM used well were catch only, no blocking TEs. Finley was a try hard bad blocker at least. And again, that is why I said signing Graham was probably a good move for us (and trading an all pro center and a 1st was a horrible move for Seattle.)

mraynrand
05-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Graham is the worst blocking TE I have ever seen

You made Colt Lyerla smile

Anti-Polar Bear
05-26-2018, 10:21 AM
You made Colt Lyerla smile

Bobble has never seen Richard Rodgers block.

mraynrand
05-26-2018, 10:27 AM

nor has anyone else

Zool
05-26-2018, 02:57 PM
nor has anyone else

:rs:

gbgary
05-26-2018, 04:55 PM
they may let the summer play out and see what's up, maybe even the preseason, they may want to sign another FA and need the space, but i bet kendricks is gone. his cap hit $2.25m. that's too much for a guy who won't play. his dead cap is $600k.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-27-2018, 09:31 AM
nor has anyone else

Y'all have never seen D-Rod block? I watched D-Rod block for 4 years. Throughout that time span, D-Rod flawlessly made Jimmy G look like Marty B, blocking-wise.

As a wise man once said, take away that bomb the Virgin Mary dropped right into his hands, and Richard Rodgers is more fruitless than an apple tree on the North Pole.

pbmax
05-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Y'all have never seen D-Rod block? I watched D-Rod block for 4 years. Throughout that time span, D-Rod flawlessly made Jimmy G look like Marty B, blocking-wise.

As a wise man once said, take away that bomb the Virgin Mary dropped right into his hands, and Richard Rodgers is more fruitless than an apple tree on the North Pole.

Age and constant battling have taken its toll on Tank's humor sensors.

mraynrand
05-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Age and constant battling have taken its toll on Tank's humor sensors.

More like constitutive doobies.

woodbuck27
05-27-2018, 07:36 PM
they may let the summer play out and see what's up, maybe even the preseason, they may want to sign another FA and need the space, but i bet kendricks is gone. his cap hit $2.25m. that's too much for a guy who won't play. his dead cap is $600k.

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Lance-Kendricks/bf0fe393-a9b3-4125-b511-99226fd65b69

In seven Seasons his Avg Statès:

15.6 Games;12.6 Starts (very good )

31.7 Receptions Per Season for 333.6 Yards and 10.5 Avg. YPC and 2.6 TD...Not productive offensively unless he`s a solid Blocking TE.

Packer TE Lance Kendricks is playing for his Contract with the Packers and needs to be better `Blocking TE` than newly acquired TE Marcedes Lewis.

woodbuck27
05-27-2018, 10:01 PM

James Light @JamesALight

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams-nfl/nfc-south/atlanta-falcons/2016/10/06/atlanta-falcons-effective-13-personnel/

Atlanta Falcons’ Effective 13 Personnel

bobblehead
05-28-2018, 01:08 AM

And I also have never seen Jimmy Graham block.

bobblehead
05-28-2018, 01:09 AM

I always smile when people say "so and so was useless except for that time he was awesome, but that was luck and didn't count"

mraynrand
05-28-2018, 05:28 AM
I always smile when people say "so and so was useless except for that time he was awesome, but that was luck and didn't count"

Like Jarrett Bush in the Super Bowl?

You must smile a lot.

Rutnstrut
05-28-2018, 10:37 AM
For those that say Jimmy G is not a blocker, NO SHIT. That's not his game, and if stubby tries to use him that way it's just wasting talent.

smuggler
06-02-2018, 07:20 AM
There is no hope of Lance Kendricks blocking better than Marc Lewis, woody.

woodbuck27
06-04-2018, 10:37 AM
https://www.packers.com/news/blocking-only-one-part-of-marcedes-lewis-arsenal

Blocking only one part of Marcedes Lewis’ arsenal

hodkiewicz-headshot - Wes Hodkiewicz - PACKERS.COM STAFF WRITER

GREEN BAY - " ...“Slim” could block. Fred Taylor figured that out the first time the Pro Bowl running back ran behind Marcedes Lewis during a training-camp practice back in 2006.

Blocking for the Jacksonville Jaguars’ franchise player was serious business. The running game was the backbone of the offense, and if a tight end wasn’t willing and able to block, the Jaguars would find someone who was.

A first-round pick out of UCLA, Lewis earned the nickname “Slim” from Taylor because he was a bit gangly during his rookie season, but he proved up to the task blocking for the veteran running back in his first Oklahoma drill.

Afterward, Taylor had a message for the rookie tight end.

“He said, ‘You keep blocking like that, you’re going to be around for a very long time,’” recalled Lewis on Thursday. “I never looked back after that. I take pride in it, and there’s a premium for guys that can cancel out your best D-end or best linebacker.” ... "

Please click on the LINK above for the rest of this story.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
06-04-2018, 10:44 AM
There is no hope of Lance Kendricks blocking better than Marc Lewis, woody.

I'm aware of Marcedes Lewis's outstanding Rep as a blocker.

See Post NO . 29.

https://www.packers.com/news/blocking-only-one-part-of-marcedes-lewis-arsenal

" ... “(He’s) been a prime-time player in this league,” said Head Coach Mike McCarthy of Lewis’ addition. “Was excited that he was available. I think it's a great fit for us and I look back over the years, and I don’t think we’ve had this much experience at the tight end position in my time here.” ..."

This is a solid signing and addressed a serious issue.

Go Packers !