View Full Version : McCarthy institutes day of rest

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 10:06 PM
McCarthy institutes day of rest

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Sept. 8, 2006

Green Bay -

Determined to keep his team as fresh as possible, coach Mike McCarthy has done away with the Green Bay Packers' long-standing tradition of day-before-game practices.

For years, the Packers conducted a mock game 24 hours before kickoff in which players basically stood on the sideline at Lambeau Field and then jogged out to their places when the various units of offense, defense and special teams were called.

The so-called "walk-throughs" lasted about an hour. Generally, a few plays would be run by all three units at about half speed.

On Friday, the Packers went through substitutions at the end of a two-hour practice that ended about 12:15 p.m. Players are to report at 8:30 this morning for meetings lasting until about noon.

At that point, they are on their own until checking in to the Radisson Hotel & Conference Center in Green Bay about 7:30 p.m. After chapel services, McCarthy will address the team, followed by a snack and then lights out.

"I believe in the 48-hour rule," McCarthy said Friday.

"When they walked off the field today they have 48 hours to get their bodies ready for the game. I don't believe in going out in practice on Saturday . . . (or) Saturday night meetings.

You can really wear them out mentally. Saturday night's not the time to be going over your first 15 (plays).

"I've gone through 50-, 60-play walk-throughs on Saturday.

I've found in the short term it's productive. But over the course of the season I think it's counter-productive."

In contrast to former coach Mike Sherman, there will be more meeting time Saturday morning. Players will no longer meet with coaches and look at film Saturday night as they did with Sherman.

"I love it," defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila said.

"You're off your feet physically for 48 hours and mentally for 24 hours."

McCarthy also has eliminated on-field "walk-throughs" on Wednesday and Thursday. Generally under Mike Holmgren, Ray Rhodes and Sherman, the players would spend about 45 minutes on the practice field starting near 11 a.m. on those days jogging through plays before going back to the locker room for lunch. Practice then would start at 1:30 p.m.

Under McCarthy, the Packers will hold some midweek "walk-throughs" in the gym at the Lambeau Field complex. Because their practices on Wednesday and Thursday begin at 10:45 a.m., lunch is served afterward.

"I don't want to go down to the practice field, walk through something, come back and go back," McCarthy said.

"I don't think that's good time management."

Said center Scott Wells: "Last year, we'd do a 40- to 60-play jog-through, come back, eat lunch and we'd go back. Now we do a 20 to 30 jog-through at the beginning of practice every day. I like this routine because you're going through what you're going to be practicing, so it's fresh in your mind."

When McCarthy was an assistant with Kansas City in the 1990s, players spent nights before home games sleeping at home. The Packers also permitted that for years but that all changed about the time Holmgren took over in '92 and a hotel stay became mandatory.

"It has to do with the makeup of your football team," McCarthy said.

"I think it's important for us to be together the night before a game. It takes them away from potential distractions that could occur."

From the Sept. 9, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

GO PACKERS ! FAN FAITH !

MadtownPacker
09-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I kinda like this move. The team always seemed to start out tight in the beginning of games with Sherm. It seemed like the didnt get going until halftime.

chewy-bacca
09-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I like the change, I hope it shows in game.

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 10:26 PM
I kinda like this move. The team always seemed to start out tight in the beginning of games with Sherm. It seemed like the didnt get going until halftime.

It just makes too much sense. Maybe they were a little overspent in TC also Mad.

GO PACKERS ! FAN FAITH FOR TOMORROWS BIG MATCHUP. da BEARS !

Noodle
09-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Give him this -- M3 is willing to do things differently. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, but I'm not going to dog a guy for trying something new.

This guy's got some brass. He's never been an HC, but he's willing to chuck "the way things are done." I don't care so much about the specific change, but I like his willingness to do something new that he thinks will help win ball games. This isn't about ego, it's about wins. I like the attitude on this.

Now if only we had a running game, an OL, and a kicking game.

MJZiggy
09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Now if only we had a running game, an OL, and a kicking game.

Details...