PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign OT Byron Bell

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2018, 11:45 PM
Bell started 74 games for Cowboys, Titans, and Panthers. He was a four year starter for Panthers. He'll compete for starting RT spot while Bulaga is out. He's 29 years old.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/29/veteran-ol-byron-bell-says-he-signed-with-packers/

woodbuck27
05-30-2018, 01:10 AM
Bell started 74 games for Cowboys, Titans, and Panthers. He was a four year starter for Panthers. He'll compete for starting RT spot while Bulaga is out. He's 29 years old.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/29/veteran-ol-byron-bell-says-he-signed-with-packers/

What do you think of this fella Harve?

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2018, 01:24 AM
He's been a below average starter. Versatile and has a lot of experience though. Better at OG than OT. Inconsistent year to year. Provides a fallback for McCray or Murphy/Spriggs falling on their faces. I wouldn't be surprised if he were cut in camp or if he ended up starting at RG (over McCray) or RT (until Bulaga returns). Not all that excited, but at least the new GM is filling roster holes with some vets--which is what the paying customers have wanted.

woodbuck27
05-30-2018, 01:32 AM
He's been a below average starter. Versatile and has a lot of experience though. Better at OG than OT. Inconsistent year to year. Provides a fallback for McCray or Murphy/Spriggs falling on their faces. I wouldn't be surprised if he were cut in camp or if he ended up starting at RG (over McCray) or RT (until Bulaga returns). Not all that excited, but at least the new GM is filling roster holes with some vets--which is what the paying customers have wanted.

Yes Gut is trying.

I'm a concerned at the WR position. That may take another Season to get fixed.

run pMc
05-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Yes Gut is trying.

It will. GM drafted a bunch of WRs this year with the hope one or maybe two pan out. Plus there's the Yancey/Davis mess.

Meanwhile they have Adams, Cobb, Graham, and maybe Allison. Unless he falls flat on his face, J'Mon Moore overtakes Allison by end of season.

Some of the young WRs will stick on ST's. Sounds like they way the rules are going, it's better to have big fast guys vs. backup linemen there. Once they cut their teeth on ST's they can learn the offense and make the proverbial leap.

By that time Cobb's contract is done and they can figure out whether to re-sign (I'd offer 2y/8M), but they'll have WRs in the pipeline. They'll need to keep drafting WRs unless they hit the jackpot this year with their picks (history says unlikely)...and they'll need a TE too. Gotta give your QB weapons.

run pMc
05-30-2018, 09:05 AM
I think the Bell signing is low risk, medium reward. It gives them depth and options, at least until Bulaga comes back.

I do worry that this move was made because they didn't like what they saw from the young guys in OTAs.

I also think Jahri Evans isn't coming back.

mraynrand
05-30-2018, 09:14 AM
I do worry that this move was made because they didn't like what they saw from the young guys in OTAs.

Same. SPRIGGS™ may never be their RT.

pbmax
05-30-2018, 11:30 AM
You can't make a starting determination during an OTA non-contact session.

You can do medical checks. This move means Bulaga is likely not going to be ready for the start of the season. It anticipates having a spot open while he sits on PUP.

He also refused a pay cut. Which might make his roster spot more tenuous if his prognosis is borderline.

Deputy Nutz
05-30-2018, 11:40 AM
CHAMPIONSHIP!

mraynrand
05-30-2018, 11:49 AM
You can't make a starting determination during an OTA non-contact session.

Maybe Todd couldn't but Cheat can.

Harlan Huckleby
05-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Fucking aye, a journeyman lineman. I can't keep up here. I couldn't name the current top three running backs on the Packers roster without looking it up.

I did learn the names of all the players in the NBA playoffs who get in the game. And I did recently learn that Grant Hill is the son of famous Cowboy Calvin Hill. So I can learn.

mraynrand
05-30-2018, 02:33 PM
And I did recently learn that Grant Hill is the son of famous Cowboy Calvin Hill.

They are son and grandson of Ouvertha Hill

gbgary
05-30-2018, 03:39 PM
meh. a backup's backup most likely.

Joemailman
05-30-2018, 04:02 PM
I think the Bell signing is low risk, medium reward. It gives them depth and options, at least until Bulaga comes back.

I also think Jahri Evans isn't coming back.

I think it's just insurance with all their RT's coming off season ending injuries. If everybody is healthy come September, Bell will be hard-pressed to make the team.

pbmax
05-31-2018, 08:13 AM
Spriggs got the first snap with the No. 1 offense during the first open OTA practice last week, but he did so wearing a bulky brace on his left knee and usually came out after a snap or two of 11-on-11 work. Murphy still hasn’t been cleared for action but was at practice last week. It’s unclear when he’ll be able to get team snaps.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/with-uncertainty-at-right-tackle-packers-add-veteran-byron-bell/article_051118d1-1ff5-5713-9495-a29d74ff8261.html

Going to need a healthy body or two for minicamp as well.

Upnorth
05-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Yes Gut is trying.

Maybe its just me, but most of the anxiety I felt about our receivers disappeared with the lewis signing. Now that Graham can go be a receiver, plus the new options in the mix at numbers 3-5 I can`t see us having less talent than last year. Plus Cobb will be fighting for his contract so he will be on maximum effort.

As to the bell signing, our OL needs healthy bodies. Hope he can be one

pbmax
05-31-2018, 10:35 AM
dp

K-town
05-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Isn't this the guy who gave up 6 sacks to Adrian Clayborn of Atlanta, when Atlanta beat Dallas last year?

gbgary
05-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Isn't this the guy who gave up 6 sacks to Adrian Clayborn of Atlanta, when Atlanta beat Dallas last year?

chaz green allowed 5, bell one. they were playing LT at the time too.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 12:43 AM
It will. GM drafted a bunch of WRs this year with the hope one or maybe two pan out. Plus there's the Yancey/Davis mess.

Meanwhile they have Adams, Cobb, Graham, and maybe Allison. Unless he falls flat on his face, J'Mon Moore overtakes Allison by end of season.

Some of the young WRs will stick on ST's. Sounds like they way the rules are going, it's better to have big fast guys vs. backup linemen there. Once they cut their teeth on ST's they can learn the offense and make the proverbial leap.

By that time Cobb's contract is done and they can figure out whether to re-sign (I'd offer 2y/8M), but they'll have WRs in the pipeline. They'll need to keep drafting WRs unless they hit the jackpot this year with their picks (history says unlikely)...and they'll need a TE too. Gotta give your QB weapons.

Yup.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 12:49 AM
Maybe its just me, but most of the anxiety I felt about our receivers disappeared with the lewis signing. Now that Graham can go be a receiver, plus the new options in the mix at numbers 3-5 I can`t see us having less talent than last year. Plus Cobb will be fighting for his contract so he will be on maximum effort.

As to the bell signing, our OL needs healthy bodies. Hope he can be one

I'd feel more comfortable if we really had that GUY to support D. Adams but I'm looking t this as that assessment year and I'm hoping to be surprised :???:.

In the next two Seasons we'll see if it all comes together.

run pMc
06-01-2018, 07:19 AM
I'd feel more comfortable if we really had that GUY to support D. Adams but I'm looking t this as that assessment year and I'm hoping to be surprised :???:.

In the next two Seasons we'll see if it all comes together.

That guy is Graham/Cobb.

texaspackerbacker
06-01-2018, 07:20 AM
It seems like some people are selling short the new WRs we have. I'd say these three draft picks look like they are more talented than anybody we've had for a long time. Combine that with the fact that Aaron Rodgers makes anybody better, and we will be fine at WR. It was surprising to me to see Davante Adams listed as a top 50 NFL player. I tend to think of him as a decent, not great receiver who benefits from the greatness of Rodgers. Now, we have Graham who has been a legitimate NFL star, and who I expect to thrive like in his best years with Rodgers throwing to him.

But this thread is about a mediocre O Lineman we signed. I've seen him stink it up with the Cowboys. Hopefully, he can do better as a big immobile guard than when he floundered at tackle. Our whole O Line is another case of overrating and being considered as good as they are mainly because of Aaron Rodgers' mobility and overall talent.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 08:39 PM
That guy is Graham/Cobb.

I can't wait to see it all begin again in Sept.

woodbuck27
06-04-2018, 10:31 AM
https://www.packers.com/news/byron-bell-cuts-no-corners

Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 10:00 AM

Byron Bell cuts no corners

spofford-headshot - Mike Spofford - PACKERS.COM SENIOR WRITER

GREEN BAY - " ...When Byron Bell needed to get to Green Bay to sign his new contract earlier this week, he had to take care of something first.

He had to mow his mom’s lawn.

The two-hour project, with a push mower no less, on his mother’s property in their hometown of Greenville, Texas, took priority because Bell has never been allowed to skip out or cut corners when it comes to work. ..."

Please click on the LINK above for the rest of this story on our newest OLman Byron Bell.

The Shadow
06-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Do the packers require their right tackle to have B.B. initials? Sometimes I think Capers remained on the staff so long was because his initials were D.C.