mraynrand
05-30-2018, 02:31 PM
1 Peterman
2 Jones
3 Williams

Montgomery - specialty third down back/receiver

pbmax
05-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Gotta be Jones #1. Was a monstrous threat when he was out there. Nearly full two yards per carry better than Williams (5.5 to 3.6)

pbmax
05-30-2018, 03:01 PM
1 Peterman
2 Jones
3 Williams

Montgomery - specialty third down back/receiver

If they sign Peterman, I am going to find tank's house and setup a lot of mirrors so he can't leave the grounds*.

* http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30455-Richie-Incognito-s-Day-Went-Well-Thank-You&p=977023&viewfull=1#post977023

Joemailman
05-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Gotta be Jones #1. Was a monstrous threat when he was out there. Nearly full two yards per carry better than Williams (5.5 to 3.6)

They had similar 40 times at the Combine, but Jones looks so much faster. Packers stressed he needs to get stronger in his lower body this offseason to increase tackle breaking ability. If he does that, Kool-Aid drinkers might not be able to resist making Ahman Green comparisons.

gbgary
05-30-2018, 08:56 PM
They had similar 40 times at the Combine, but Jones looks so much faster. Packers stressed he needs to get stronger in his lower body this offseason to increase tackle breaking ability. If he does that, Kool-Aid drinkers might not be able to resist making Ahman Green comparisons.

heard his legs are much bigger.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/25/packers-rb-aaron-jones-adds-size-strength-before-sophomore-season/

https://media.kvia.com/npg-kvia-media-us-east-1/photo/2018/05/30/AdFbcZ-aaron_jones_at_airport_1527685457134_11704029_ver1 .0_640_360.JPG

Harlan Huckleby
05-30-2018, 10:33 PM
I hope they steer clear of Peterman. I don't think I could take all the long stories about his explorations in Burma, and his trip to the dark continent.

pbmax
05-31-2018, 07:12 AM

I almost worry about that. What change what was working?

Jones might not have a higher top gear, but his initial speed to the LBs plus his first move are much faster than Williams slam bam style.

Tony Oday
05-31-2018, 09:05 AM
I think Jones and Williams are 1a and 1b.

Deputy Nutz
05-31-2018, 09:20 AM
I think Jones and Williams will both be used and with Tubby it will be by situation. Montgomery will be listed as a running back but will play more receiver this year especially if the young guys are not progressing and if Cobb takes another step backwards.

I think Montgomery is in a funky situation. He isn't a running back and he has missed almost two seasons of development as a receiver. He could just be stuck in limbo for the rest of his time in Green Bay, or he could turn this flexibility into being a very difficult matchup for defenses.

Upnorth
05-31-2018, 09:22 AM
I like to be optomistic about Jones, but I wonder how much of it has to do with McCarthy`s change to the run game post ARod.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/5/29/16745192/packers-2017-running-game-part-1-power-run-concepts-jamaal-williams-aaron-jones-mike-mccarthy
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/5/30/16970818/packers-2017-running-game-part-2-adding-the-zone-read-brett-hundley-aaron-jones-jamaal-williams

I do hope though that he is something special.

Tony Oday
05-31-2018, 09:28 AM
I would be surprised if Montgomery made the team.

pbmax
05-31-2018, 10:37 AM
I would be surprised if Montgomery made the team.

Given the uncertainty at WR depth, he will have a spot.

pbmax
05-31-2018, 11:19 AM
I think Jones and Williams are 1a and 1b.

5.5 ypc!!

Tony Oday
05-31-2018, 11:30 AM
5.5 ypc!!

Oh I like jones better but can he stay on the field? Williams bashes and Jones flashes?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-31-2018, 11:41 AM
5.5 ypc!!

Williams is a guy who needs to be fed the rock excessively to catch daylight. Not sure A-Rod has the desire or patience to feed Williams excessively. Jones, on the other hand, is capable of hitting home runs cold off the bench or in between lags.

Unless the Packers sign AP, and they ought to, Monty will start. Jones will be the change of pace back. Williams will be the short-yardage back. Then again, Jones, Monty and Williams are all fragile, so who starts likely will be a week to week thing.

texaspackerbacker
05-31-2018, 12:53 PM
I'll go with Williams 1A and Jones 1B. Hell no to AP. I wouldn't be surprised to see Montgomery cut or traded cheap. I'm not ready to give up on Devante Mays as the 3rd RB.

run pMc
05-31-2018, 03:28 PM
If McCarthy is smart, it will depend on matchups. I think Montgomery could cause a lot of problems if used correctly. You don't run him between the tackles 20 times a game -- IMO he's suited to a no-huddle offense because you can play him anywhere.
Williams is a tough runner who was pretty dependable for a rookie. I expect McCarthy to switch him off with Jones, probably in alternating series (unless one has a hot hand), with Ty getting specialty packages or backing either up.
RBs take a real beating and like CB's I don't know that you can have too many good ones.

Mays had a pretty rough go, fumbling his first two carries. He has to prove he's improved grasping the offense and holding onto the ball. If that happens, he could be a real monster, especially in bad weather with his size and -- ugh -- reported low pad level. Could be a dark horse in the competition, or could flame out.

Agree with others Williams/Jones are 1a and 1b, with Ty figuring in as game dictates. Worst case for Ty: he plays more ST's, but he'll get on the field.

run pMc
05-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Not how Peterson fits in the offense, honestly.
He's a liability in pass pro, needs to run from 5-7 yds deep vs. pistol/shotgun, and is in his 30's. I don't know that defenses fear him like they used to.

He's a freak of nature and probably still has gas in the tank, but I think he'd be a square peg in the GB offense.
I could see him in a place like Tennessee, Dallas, Seattle, or Baltimore where they like to pound the ball.

There's also the PR aspect: some fans would object to a child whipper on the team.

Joemailman
05-31-2018, 04:03 PM
I almost worry about that. What change what was working?

Well, except that he injured both knees. I think they're hoping added lower body strength will reduce pressure on his knee ligaments.

pbmax
05-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Well, except that he injured both knees. I think they're hoping added lower body strength will reduce pressure on his knee ligaments.

I am not sure that computes if he has added weight.

pbmax
05-31-2018, 05:08 PM
Williams is a guy who needs to be fed the rock excessively to catch daylight. Not sure A-Rod has the desire or patience to feed Williams excessively. Jones, on the other hand, is capable of hitting home runs cold off the bench or in between lags.

Unless the Packers sign AP, and they ought to, Monty will start. Jones will be the change of pace back. Williams will be the short-yardage back. Then again, Jones, Monty and Williams are all fragile, so who starts likely will be a week to week thing.

Williams went over 20 carries 4 times and average over 5 ypc once. His starts with fewer than 20 carries were consistent with the 3+ ypc. Short yardage banger PLUS some pass catching and screens?

Yes.

Featured back?

Not unless there are injuries.

Joemailman
05-31-2018, 06:48 PM

I think we're talking about 5-10 pounds. He's not channeling his inner Lacy.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/packers-rb-aaron-jones-gets-bigger-to-help-in-pass-protection/

Running backs coach Ben Sirmans said the Packers asked Jones to get bigger and stronger this offseason, and he rose to the challenge.

“I think he saw also for himself what he could benefit from, particularly with his lower body,” Sirmans said last week. “He could benefit from playing stronger and not just from an injury standpoint avoiding those things, but also it will help him break more tackles and do those things.”

Jones, who played at 208 pounds last season, said he’s added size but hasn’t lost any of his elite quickness. In fact, he’s feeling more explosive.

“Any athlete wants to get bigger and stronger as long as they can stay explosive. I still just as explosive as I was, if not more,” Jones said.

His knees are also feeling strong. Jones said he had a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment after the season and hasn’t had any issues throughout the offseason. Twice last season, Jones sprained his MCL.

“About a week after the season, I had a PRP done. I was feeling good after that, got right into training,” Jones said. “Felt good ever since. Haven’t had any problems with my knees.”

gbgary
05-31-2018, 07:26 PM

knee rehab is all about strengthening the muscles. the weight added is right there around the knees...not dead weight on/above the knee like a fat belly would be.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 12:34 AM
knee rehab is all about strengthening the muscles. the weight added is right there around the knees...not dead weight on/above the knee like a fat belly would be.

I agree with this.

I just experienced some issue and weakness in my left knee. I took it slow and gradually through exercise strengthens the knee muscles.

I may have been contending with some fluid and in a lifetime of playing sports and a lot of hard work and aging; all that was likely 'was a factor'. Thankfully and 'knock on wood' it seems strong now.

pbmax
06-01-2018, 07:45 AM

Stronger doesn't mean weight gain. He has gained weight according to reports. That has proven problematic for athletes that require quickness before.

Deputy Nutz
06-01-2018, 08:56 AM
I agree with this.

I just experienced some issue and weakness in my left knee. I took it slow and gradually through exercise strengthens the knee muscles.

I may have been contending with some fluid and in a lifetime of playing sports and a lot of hard work and aging; all that was likely 'was a factor'. Thankfully and 'knock on wood' it seems strong now.

Its probably just a heart attack.

Joemailman
06-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Stronger doesn't mean weight gain. He has gained weight according to reports. That has proven problematic for athletes that require quickness before.

Stronger certainly can mean weight gain if you're adding muscle.

woodbuck27
06-01-2018, 07:59 PM
1 Jones
2 Williams
3 Montgomery

I don't know, really wondering what sitch is

1 Jones
2 Williams
3 Montgomery **

Groom Montgomery as 'a slot receiver'.