PDA

View Full Version : Official 2018 World Cup/Soccer/Futbol Thread

Joemailman
06-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Starts Thursday June 14

With the USA embarrassingly not a qualifier, I will be cheering for the country of my ancestors, Germany.

Group Stage matchups: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=UmkcW-6eCoqsjwSvr7igAw&q=fifa+rankings&oq=fifa+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.4.0i131k1l6j0j0i131k1j0j0i131k1.1142.3061.0.9 309.5.5.0.0.0.0.94.411.5.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.5.410....0.CkwFfmuLz08#sie=lg;/m/06qjc4;2;/m/030q7;st;fp;1

Best Round 1 Group Stage Matchups:

Portugal vs. Spain
Germany vs. Mexico
Brazil vs. Switzerland

ThunderDan
06-13-2018, 11:14 AM
I might watch when they get to the knock out rounds.

Joemailman
06-13-2018, 11:50 AM
On a related note, United States/Canada/Mexico have been awarded the 2026 World Cup.

Bretsky
06-13-2018, 10:28 PM
DAMMIT.....I thought this was a T and A thread !!! Didn't the last one turn partially into one ?

ANYWAYS....US is where it should be.....not in this thing. Soccer is for Europeans. That is what I tell my basketball players I coach

red
06-14-2018, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I think i’m Going with Germany too

Joemailman
06-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Russia 5
Saudi Arabia 0

I guess they wanted to make sure Russia had a chance to start with a win. Saudis were ranked 67th. Russia 70th.

Cheesehead Craig
06-15-2018, 08:32 AM
Go Germany! Embarrass Brazil again!

hoosier
06-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Great game between Spain and Portugal this afternoon. Amazing one-man show by Renaldo. Game ruined by the absence of a tie-breaker. Is it only in the final round that they do OT and penalties? Who the fuck wants to end in a tie????

wist43
06-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Commies

red
06-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Great game between Spain and Portugal this afternoon. Amazing one-man show by Renaldo. Game ruined by the absence of a tie-breaker. Is it only in the final round that they do OT and penalties? Who the fuck wants to end in a tie????

It’s only in the group stage that they allow the ties

Win =3 points
Tie=1
Loss=0

That 1 point comes into play more then you would think

Plus all these guys just came off long seasons, the season just ended a few weeks ago, and it starts again in July, their off season is about a month long before trading starts up again. But the guys in the World Cup now get to play through that month off

No reason to make them play longer games

red
06-16-2018, 05:49 PM
i think i said it last world cup, but every time i finally get to see messi play on TV he does nothing

Anti-Polar Bear
06-17-2018, 03:24 AM
Russia 5
Saudi Arabia 0

I guess they wanted to make sure Russia had a chance to start with a win. Saudis were ranked 67th. Russia 70th.

USSR! USSR!

Joemailman
06-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Germany loses to Mexico. Brazil, Argentina and Portugal held to draws. It's really wide open.

red
06-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Germany loses to Mexico. Brazil, Argentina and Portugal held to draws. It's really wide open.

portugal holding spain to a draw is a pretty big upset for portugal. they are like the packers of the world cup, you take away c ronaldo and they are pretty shitty. spain is always just awesome

hoosier
06-17-2018, 08:24 PM
It’s only in the group stage that they allow the ties

Win =3 points
Tie=1
Loss=0

That 1 point comes into play more then you would think

Plus all these guys just came off long seasons, the season just ended a few weeks ago, and it starts again in July, their off season is about a month long before trading starts up again. But the guys in the World Cup now get to play through that month off

No reason to make them play longer games

1. They get days off in between games. 90 minute games played on grass, nominally non-contact sport. Shouldn't be that tough on the body, aside from the occasional torn ligament and ruptured tendon. But those things are going to happen regardless of whether they play 90 or 105 minutes.

2. You know how soccer players flop and roll around on the turf in agony for five minutes after getting tripped or kicked in the shins, and then miraculously get up and return to the game with nary a limp? Has anyone ever been legitimately injured while going through the motions in an effort to draw a yellow card on the opponent?

3. I take the point that a tie in the first round is as good as a win or loss when it comes to separating the wheat from the chaff. Spain and Port each get a point, and that will surely be enough to send both of them on to the second round. But aesthetically speaking the tie sucks.

Freak Out
06-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Glad that England, Sweden and Belgium all won. If Neymar gets mugged all game long and it's allowed Brazil is done.

Joemailman
06-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Will Harry Kane be knighted if England wins it all?

Freak Out
06-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Argentina is a mess.

Joemailman
06-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Argentina is a mess.

Unbelievable. Gave up a bad goal, and then I didn't understand pulling Aguero at 55'. Even if they beat Nigeria, they'll need help.

Joemailman
06-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Nigeria beat Iceland, so Argentina is still alive. They'll need to beat Nigeria, and hope Iceland doesn't beat Croatia.

Joemailman
06-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Where is Wootah?

pbmax
06-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Did anyone else think the first yellow for that Russian kid was a little ticky tack?

He was completely overmatched, but the first one was the least offensive grab in a match full of pushing.

Did not mind the result too much, match was fun and Uruguay are fun to watch.

Joemailman
06-26-2018, 05:06 PM
Argentina advances, but barely. Needed a goal in 86' to put away Nigeria. A handball by Argentina that would have resulted in a penalty kick was ruled unintentional. They will play France.

hoosier
06-27-2018, 08:19 AM
The argentinos still don't seem to know quite what to do with Messi. Leaving him the center with four guys surrounding him at all times. Nobody else on the team is capable of creating much of anything, and they all sort of stand around waiting for the 4x-ed teammate to do something. At least they changed goalies. But they still look lethargic and purposeless. No way do they get by France.

Joemailman
06-27-2018, 03:58 PM
WTF Germany?

Joemailman
06-28-2018, 06:17 PM
https://www.printyourbrackets.com/images/world-cup-tournament-bracket.png

Brazil, Mexico and Belgium all in one bracket should be interesting.

Spain/England semifinal matchup could happen.

Is England too dependent on Harry Kane?

wootah
06-29-2018, 08:10 AM
With the USA embarrassingly not a qualifier, I will be cheering for the country of my ancestors, Germany.

With that streak going on, please don't start cheering for Belgium ;-)

i think i said it last world cup, but every time i finally get to see messi play on TV he does nothing

I agree that Argentina has been poor in all 3 games. Seemingly without a plan which is inconceivable to me with a coach like Sampaoli. He's one of the greatest football tacticians of our generations but looks (and behaves) outclassed on the sidelines.

However... THIS: (!!!!!)

https://78.media.tumblr.com/90973c71588366203f037044131d10fe/tumblr_pay14inUBm1qgngj3o1_540.gif

I can look at this thing forever and still cannot believe it. This is SO extremely good, it's hard to fathom a human can do something technically & tactically so difficult in such a short timespan.

In a matter of 1 second he decides/does so much. First the control of the pass of +-35meters with his thigh in a full sprint. Direction & speed of the ball after the 1st touch are perfect so that Messi doesn't even have to break stride. Then instead of going inside for his stronger left foot with his next touch what he normally does (you see the split second the defender slows down because he expect Messi to go for his left), without the ball touching the ground, still in sprint, he uses the 2nd touch to accelerate & to pass his opponent. Afterwards clinical finishing obviously, but those 2 touches before that... The best I've seen this WC and I will be surprised to have it topped. I've been in the sport for +30years, played it, am coaching it, spend a lot of free time studying it. Believe me, this is not something humans can do.

Messi is the Arod of football.

Other impressive touches:

Musa's goal
https://i0.wp.com/img.allfootballapp.com/www/M00/06/A3/rB8ApFstHwWAQiYuACft6xv-fn8298.gif
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PortlyIllfatedClownanemonefish-max-1mb.gif
Notice how he hits the ball with the "dropkick" technique, meaning right at the moment it bounces from the ground. Technically very difficult, but when done right, it allows you to put a lot of power in your shot.

And let's not forget the impressive celebration of our very own Batshuayi yesterday :-)
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/387/229/d53.gif
What a hero.

Where is Wootah?

Busy times, my friend: 3 little ones at home between 4 years & 4 months old, lots of traveling for the job and the preparation for the new soccer season ongoing. It seems the Packers will have to be put a bit on the backburner for the time being.
Been following my country closely on the WC also. Looking good, however I didn't like how the discussions are already about the Quarter Finals against Brasil instead of the next round against Japan. Not a good sign IMO.

But I'll try to check this thread a bit during the WC!

Joemailman
06-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Haven't had a chance to see Belgium or Brazil yet. Of the teams I've seen, I actually thought Croatia was the most impressive. From what I've been reading and hearing though, it sounds like Brazil might be getting better at exactly the right time.

red
06-30-2018, 12:04 PM
well, mbappe is the breakout star of this cup, he dominated today

and once again messi crashes out after scoring a single goal in the tourney

at this point, c. ronaldo >>>>>>>messi

red
06-30-2018, 02:57 PM
and ronaldo does nothing

best 2 players are out

wootah
07-01-2018, 06:21 AM
well, mbappe is the breakout star of this cup, he dominated today

Breakout star? If you don't know the qualities of Mbappé you haven't really been paying attention, Red. Helped Monaco get the French title when he was 17-18, got transferred to PSG for €175mil afterwards, which is the 2nd highest transfer fee OF ALL TIME :) Still only 19 right now. With his blistering speed and dribbles, he reminds me of Ronaldo. The real ronaldo, obviously.

Joemailman
07-01-2018, 08:33 AM
I think maybe Red meant the public perception. Casual fans of the sport know who Messi and Ronaldo and a few other superstars are may not have seen Mbappe before. They'll know now.

red
07-01-2018, 09:07 AM
yup, to the eyes of the casual fans

i play fifa, i know who mbappe is

just like james rodriguez was the breakout star of the last one

red
07-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Breakout star? If you don't know the qualities of Mbappé you haven't really been paying attention, Red. Helped Monaco get the French title when he was 17-18, got transferred to PSG for €175mil afterwards, which is the 2nd highest transfer fee OF ALL TIME :) Still only 19 right now. With his blistering speed and dribbles, he reminds me of Ronaldo. The real ronaldo, obviously.

i'm glad you mentioned the real ronaldo. my favorite player of all time

Joemailman
07-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Them darn Russkies are well coached. Not much star power, but they've stuck to a plan so far.

red
07-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Them darn Russkies are well coached. Not much star power, but they've stuck to a plan so far.

suffocating defense

red
07-02-2018, 10:29 AM
fuck neymar

guy barely steps on his ankle, and he acts like he just got shot in the foot

FIFA needs to start red carding guys that flop and act like that. get it out of the game, its the main thing i can't stand

and of course afting rolling around on the ground screaming in pain for 5 minutes, they just spray some magic spray ON HIS SOCK and he gets up and is just fine

and within a couple minutes neymar gets "shot" again. what a disgrace for what of the top players in a sport to act like such a little pussy

i use to not be able to watch any games with Steven Pienaar in them, cause that guy was just a flop machine. neymar might be worse

wootah
07-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Fuck, this game was too close. Extatic during that last counter attack as soon as de bruyne crossed the middle of the pitch. If you have the chance, look at the sprint chadli makes from his own penalty area to cross the field: impressive!

Fully agree with you, Red. Neymar represents the best and the worst in the game.
https://i.redd.it/bglqddgo2c711.gif

Joemailman
07-02-2018, 05:44 PM
fuck neymar

guy barely steps on his ankle, and he acts like he just got shot in the foot

FIFA needs to start red carding guys that flop and act like that. get it out of the game, its the main thing i can't stand

and of course afting rolling around on the ground screaming in pain for 5 minutes, they just spray some magic spray ON HIS SOCK and he gets up and is just fine

and within a couple minutes neymar gets "shot" again. what a disgrace for what of the top players in a sport to act like such a little pussy

i use to not be able to watch any games with Steven Pienaar in them, cause that guy was just a flop machine. neymar might be worse

NHL used to have this problem until they started penalizing players for "Embellishment". Otherwise known as taking a dive. FIFA should consider it. I don't know if it should be a red card though, unless you use replay to make sure official got the call right.
't

Joemailman
07-02-2018, 05:58 PM
https://www.printyourbrackets.com/images/world-cup-tournament-bracket.png

Quarterfinal games on the left side of the bracket should be great.

red
07-02-2018, 08:18 PM
that late game today was damn good, i was just waiting for all that talent from belgium to explode

wootah
07-03-2018, 04:19 AM
Nice view on the last goal/counter attack:

https://streamable.com/ox2iz

I just hope Belgium doesn't make the same mistake they did 4 years ago against Argentina: sit back, take no risks, put the focus on the opponent not scoring any goals, only to be eliminated with a dull 1-0. For the size of our country vs the amount of talented players, they have a once in a lifetime chance to actually go for it and stand a chance. I hope they just go for it.

NHL used to have this problem until they started penalizing players for "Embellishment". Otherwise known as taking a dive. FIFA should consider it. I don't know if it should be a red card though, unless you use replay to make sure official got the call right.

A dive is a yellow card according to the current rulebook, but I see this more as a football culture problem. Simulating injuries, pretending to get hit in the head when someone touches your ankle, trying to milk the clock, these are all things that need to be kicked out: I think the VAR is a first step in that direction, but it should be combined with a fixed playing time/a stopped clock and possible in-game time punishments for players who do not follow the fair play rules.

Joemailman
07-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Cavani likely out for Friday's match vs. France.

red
07-06-2018, 01:32 PM
belgium owning brazil right now

wootah
07-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Insanity

Freak Out
07-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Cheers to Belgian beers.

red
07-06-2018, 06:29 PM
glad the flopers got beat

france/belgium should be a great game

wootah
07-07-2018, 09:29 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/8vXtR0fLQqt2ieBqIp/giphy.gif

wootah
07-10-2018, 03:37 PM
FUCK

Joemailman
07-10-2018, 05:37 PM
FUCK

My condolences. I'm guessing France/Belgium is a huge rivalry?

In other news, Ronaldo going to Juventus.

mraynrand
07-11-2018, 08:26 AM
FUCK

Sorry dude. But at least you can look forward to all the exciting American football games this fall that end with the score 3-0.

Cheesehead Craig
07-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Go England!

red
07-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Go England!

fuck england

most negative fans on the planet

mraynrand
07-11-2018, 05:25 PM
fuck england

most negative fans on the planet

you gave it everything you had

Cheesehead Craig
07-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Let's see, I rooted for both Germany and England and both got bounced. Who should I give the whammy to for the final?

hoosier
07-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Let's see, I rooted for both Germany and England and both got bounced. Who should I give the whammy to for the final?

Vive la France! :-)

Joemailman
07-13-2018, 05:21 PM
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3564870/fifa-confirms-2022-world-cup-dates-but-size-still-undecided

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be played between Nov. 21 through December 18, FIFA president Gianni Infantino confirmed on Friday, though the number of participating teams is still unconfirmed.

The next edition of the tournament will switch to the winter months because of the summer climate in Qatar, and Infantino announced the exact dates.

Does Fox have the TV rights for the 2022 cup? If so, they can't be happy about it occurring during the NFL season.

red
07-14-2018, 08:40 AM
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3564870/fifa-confirms-2022-world-cup-dates-but-size-still-undecided

Does Fox have the TV rights for the 2022 cup? If so, they can't be happy about it occurring during the NFL season.

actual teams who have paid million to get their players are gonna love losing them for a whole month during the season too

such a great move by fifa putting it in a desert in the first place

Joemailman
07-15-2018, 02:12 PM
actual teams who have paid million to get their players are gonna love losing them for a whole month during the season too

such a great move by fifa putting it in a desert in the first place

It a cluster. I'm assuming the club leagues are going to have to stop their seasons for at least 6 weeks for the World Cup?

Joemailman
07-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Congrats to France. The big guys showed up big today. Pogba, Griezmann and Mbappe all scored in the final.

red
07-15-2018, 02:47 PM
It a cluster. I'm assuming the club leagues are going to have to stop their seasons for at least 6 weeks for the World Cup?

that would cost teams millions and millions of dollars each. and a lot of teams lose money to begin with.

you can't really just postpone then extend the season, because the offseason is already short enough. teams have already started training for the new season

the only thing you could really do, is put it all on hold for a month, then play 2 games a week for every week of the season. which most teams do at the beginning of the year anyways. that would suck for a lot of guys because they get no time off during the break, then have to play twice as many games when they come back

just a stupid situation all around made by fifa and their greed for dirty money

Joemailman
07-15-2018, 04:04 PM
that would cost teams millions and millions of dollars each. and a lot of teams lose money to begin with.

you can't really just postpone then extend the season, because the offseason is already short enough. teams have already started training for the new season

the only thing you could really do, is put it all on hold for a month, then play 2 games a week for every week of the season. which most teams do at the beginning of the year anyways. that would suck for a lot of guys because they get no time off during the break, then have to play twice as many games when they come back

just a stupid situation all around made by fifa and their greed for dirty money

That would really be rough on teams playing in the Champions League.

red
07-15-2018, 04:31 PM
That would really be rough on teams playing in the Champions League.

and teams still playing in domestic cups

its just gonna be a bad situation

Joemailman
07-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Mesut Ozil quitting German national team over criticism he has received for posing for a picture with President Erdogan of Turkey. Ozil is of Turkish descent,but grew up in Germany.

"I'm aware that the picture of us caused a huge response in German media, and whilst some people may accuse me of lying or being deceitful, the picture we took had no political intensions," Ozil wrote. "For me, having a picture with President Erdogan wasn't about politics or elections, it was about me respecting the highest office of my family's country."

Earlier this month, the head of the German football federation, Reinhard Grindel, had said Ozil owed fans an explanation for his actions when he returned from his post-World Cup holiday. Ozil's statement was posted as Arsenal were preparing to fly to Singapore for a preseason tour, with Ozil having joined up with the squad just in time for the trip.

Ozil said the "mistreatment from the DFB, and in particular" Grindel was the issue that "frustrated" him the most. He accused Grindel of being "far more interested in speaking of his own political views and belittling my opinion" and said the federation turned him into "political propaganda."

"I will no longer stand for being a scapegoat for his incompetence and inability to do his job properly," Ozil wrote. "I know that [Grindel] wanted me out the team after the picture, and publicised his view on Twitter without any thinking or consultation, but [coach] Joachim Low and [director] Oliver Bierhoff stood up for me and backed me.

Bretsky
07-27-2018, 07:23 AM
this thread sucks; last year many many hot Euro Chicks were posted in here. We've lost our edge...lol

mraynrand
07-27-2018, 12:32 PM
this thread sucks; last year many many hot Euro Chicks were posted in here. We've lost our edge...lol

You could fix the problem.
Slacker

Cheesehead Craig
07-31-2018, 09:46 PM

https://www.haaretz.com/polopoly_fs/1.6172244.1528803929!/image/3613323338.jpg_gen/derivatives/size_1104x828/3613323338.jpg

Joemailman
10-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, owner of Leicester City FC, killed in a helicopter crash.

He was the owner when leicester stunned everybody by winning the Premier league a couple of years ago.

red
10-29-2018, 08:27 PM
yeah, thats pretty fucked up