PDA

View Full Version : Coach Mike McCarthy discusses his expectations for the Seaso

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 10:15 PM
McCarthy discusses his expectations

Posted: Sept. 8, 2006

Green Bay - Sports Illustrated magazine picks them at 6-10. Pro Football Weekly has them pegged No. 28 in its power rankings. Both publications as well as the Sporting News forecast a last-place finish in the NFC North Division.

Photo/Michele Jokinen

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/sep06/smm908.jpg

Coach Mike McCarthy believes the Packers have made progress during the off-season.

The Green Bay Packers suffered their worst one-year-to-the-next collapse in their long history under Mike Sherman a year ago. Now, not many pundits expect a whole lot of improvement under Mike McCarthy this season.

McCarthy, 42, has rolled with the punches, taken the body blows without recrimination and vowed to put a fresh team on the field for opening day. On Sunday, for better or worse, the new and maybe improved Packers open their 88th season against the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field.

In an interview Tuesday with Bob McGinn, the Journal Sentinel's Packers beat writer, McCarthy discussed his first eight months on the job, the considerable change he has brought to familiar patterns at 1265 Lombardi Ave. and what he expects as the Packers plunge headlong into rebuilding mode.

Q. Several first-year coaches in Green Bay have faced daunting tasks and this looks like another one. Based on the personnel at hand and the fact you're in Year 1 of installing your program, is .500 a realistic objective for the Packers this season?

A. I don't deal in predictions. It's very important for our team to have the focus of winning every game and keep the goal in mind of winning a world championship. I don't believe in ever telling a team that if we can just do this we'll be OK.

Q. Aside from wins and losses, what in your mind would constitute progress in 2006?

A. I think we've made progress already. We've established an off-season program. We changed the schedule but change doesn't necessarily mean better. But the key to progress is wins. I think we've made progress in the attitude and the communication throughout the building, particularly in the locker room. There's more interaction. I felt there were a lot of walls when I first took the job.

Q. You've been on the job now for about eight months. Just what kind of situation were you walking into?

A. Well, there's a reason why I'm here, No. 1. That's how these jobs open. When I walked through the door you had a program that was in place and they won a lot of games. For whatever reason, it went in another direction. I took it as a great opportunity and tried to look at the positive things that were in place. I truly benefited from working here before. There was a lot of carryover that I believed in. I always felt the Green Bay Packers did things right from an organization standpoint. There were obviously the negative things and I definitely think we've gone in a different direction.

Q. Have you had time yet to imprint your personality on this team and organization?

A. The approach I take every day is, be consistent. It's important, whether it's the secretary in the hallway or your players, to see the same guy every day. That's critical in the quality of a leader. If you're down there (frustrated) in front of the team every day they're going to play like that. I think I've been a guy that will be tough on them but also will be fair. There are some things in this business that aren't fair.

Q. In 1992, another offensive coordinator from San Francisco was 44 when he inherited a 4-12 team in Green Bay and finished 9-7 in his first season. Mike Holmgren was able to build his future around Brett Favre. You're 42 and undoubtedly as ambitious as Holmgren. What do you have to build around?

A. Well, we have Brett Favre. We have players that have been here when the times were good. From an organizational standpoint, we have a foundation to lean on that's second to none. We also have the optimism and the excitement of building with new guys.

Q. From a football standpoint, what are the best one or two things that this team has going for it?

A. You have good veteran leadership, particularly on offense. You have a Hall of Fame quarterback. You have Donald Driver, William Henderson, Bubba Franks, Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett.

Q. What's your read on what has happened to this team in the 5½ years since Ron Wolf retired as GM?

A. As far as the player acquisition, it seemed to be a different philosophy that existed here the last 5½ years. I know when I was here the premium was on the draft and number of draft picks. There was a lot more trading of draft picks and moving up and more of an effort to try to go win it in a one- or two-year period instead of a long-range plan of building your roster through the draft. We've gone back to it. We're going to build through the draft.

Q. The last time that the Packers had a team this youthful was 1986. Forrest Gregg cleaned house after three straight 8-8 seasons and the team won 13 games over the next three years. Did Ted Thompson go too young putting this thing together?

A. We're young until we win. When we start winning, people won't be talking about how young we are. All this conversation, it's kind of fun. Everybody likes to be doubted. There's not a man in that locker room that doesn't have survival skills. Same thing with coaches.

Q. Coaches like players who know what they're doing and what it takes to win in the NFL. Did you just sit there during roster deliberations and acquiesce? Did you really agree that it made sense to go this young?

A. I think our roster decisions were pretty self-explanatory, quite frankly. We haven't had our first, “There ain't no way I'm doing that” type of (argument). I thought it's been pretty cut-and-dried. We have a vision of how we're going to build a team. We're trying to acquire as many good players as possible. That's what we've done.

Q. I can't think of a single player who you were with in Kansas City, New Orleans or San Francisco who has been with you in Green Bay. That's so unusual for a first-year coach. How much say do you have in things such as free-agent signings and workouts? Would you like more?

A. Before he hired me, Ted told me up front, “I will never force a player on you.” We haven't had our first big situation where we totally disagreed on somebody. Free agency. Draft. The cuts.

Q. Will you on offense and Bob Sanders on defense be forced to simplify to a dangerous extent because of the massive roster turnover?

A. I don't think so. The carryover from last year gave Bob a platform to build his own defense on. I don't feel we're very vanilla at all. Schematically, we're going to challenge people.

Q. What's it like being a first-year coach with a three-year contract and arguably three of your five most important players — Brett Favre, Ahman Green and Chad Clifton — appear to be on the down side of their careers because of age or injury?

A. You're singling our three players on a team. I've never even thought about that. I'm not concerned. I've always approached this business that you're on a one-year contract. As far as having a three-year contract, I have no concern over that.

Q. Ted is sending out two rookie guards, one of whom never even played the position until four weeks ago, and they're backed up by other rookies in a division renowned for its defensive tackles. How is your offense going to function?

A. It's a great challenge for our young offensive line. You know how line play is. There's not a lot of times where you're one-on-one. Scott Wells has done a great job and those two guards are surrounded by veteran players. It's also the usage of the fullback and the tight end from a protection standpoint. And I think our run-blocking schemes will help us in the way we attack those guys.

Q. The Packers gave Charles Woodson more than $11 million in guaranteed money. He really hasn't been on the field enough to know what kind of player he'll be. But are you satisfied with his practice habits, his leadership and the way he carries himself around the facility? How much does he have left as a player?

A. He looks to have a lot left as a player. He's definitely a front-line corner in the league. I think he really fits our scheme. I've always been a fan of the big corners, the physical corners. He and Al (Harris), they're up there in age, they're protecting their bodies a little bit in camp. I'm satisfied with Charles. He's kind of real to himself. I don't know if he's feeling his way around here.

Q. Aaron Rodgers played very well in San Diego but looked rather common in the last three games. What are the chances that one day he'll be a solid starter? What are the areas he must improve in?

A. You never really know about quarterbacks until they've got to go do it every week. I've seen Matt Hasselbeck have very promising training camps and then Jake Delhomme. I've also seen guys that never really got going in pre-season. I think Aaron has done a really good job. He's really young. He just doesn't get the reps to develop playing behind a guy who plays every down. I'll be surprised, and the first one to admit I was wrong, if Aaron Rodgers is not a solid starting quarterback in this league.

Q. If the season gets away from the Packers, can you envision a scenario in which Brett Favre would understand that the organization has no choice but to evaluate Aaron Rodgers even at the expense of his own playing time? Have you ever discussed such a possibility with Brett?

A. Hypothetical situations, from my chair; there's nothing positive can come from answering that. I don't foresee that being a problem. Every decision will be done in the best interests of the Green Bay Packers.

Q. Have you second-guessed some of your decisions regarding your hiring of assistant coaches?

A. No. I think we've done a very good job. You always look for good people, and people that are experts at what they do. I've been very impressed with the hands-on coaching. We have a lot of resources here, more resources than anybody. From computers to everything. I like their personalities. I think they're demanding, which is probably the most important thing. I think I hired a bunch of good people.

Q. Are you hard on your coaches?

A. I've had my differences with our guys. It's part of being in charge. You've just got to remember that they're people. I don't think you need to go demean somebody in front of the whole world to get your point across. If it happens over and over and over again, you're going to say whatever you've got to say. It doesn't matter who's there. The bottom line is keeping them accountable. Whether you scream at them for effect in front of people, that's one thing.

Q. There have been some blown coverages in the secondary and the zone running scheme doesn't seem particularly well choreographed in terms of footwork. What does this team have to show before you could objectively say it's technique-sound and well-coached?

A. It's well-coached, I can promise you that. As far as technique-sound, that's always a work in progress. I think our guys understand it and are trained in it. The more we play together, particularly in the zone schemes, the better off we'll be. Same thing in the secondary. The scheme is sound. We wouldn't put in an unsound scheme. There's some people that take chances. Our schemes are sound.

Q. By NFL standards, are the Packers at this point a strong, physical football team?

A. Time will answer that. Do I think we have the ability to be physical? Absolutely. Because that's the way they're coached. That's our style of football we're looking to establish. But to be classified as a physical football team you need to go do that week in and week out.

Q. Are you aware that Vince Lombardi's first game was against the Bears in Green Bay and the Packers won, 9-6?

A. Yes, I am aware of that.

Q. Given that it's the Bears, it's opening day and it's Lambeau Field, would you be surprised if your players don't put forth a tremendous emotional effort Sunday?

A. I can guarantee a very strong, emotional effort. We'll be ready to play.

Q. If this season doesn't turn out as planned, do you think you'll be able to control your emotions and still concentrate on the business at hand?

A. Are you serious? I can only worry about this job one day at a time. To sit here and think if I'll be able to handle things emotionally if they don't go well, I don't anticipate that being a problem.

From the Sept. 9, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

GO PACK GO ! We're Going to Be Back.

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I like his direct approach to answering questions, his attitude and confidence, as well as his tactfulness.

It'a all good, impressive to me. If that was verbatum. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! FAN FAITH !!!!

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Mike McCarthy Press Conference Transcript: Sept. 8

posted 09/08/2006

(Bears' rookie punt returner, can one play on special teams make big impact?)

I think the play on special teams will have a big impact in the game. The field position battle will be one of the determining factors in how this game is won. He's an exciting young man. 20 plus average going through the preseason, and he's definitely someone we need to stop.

(How did William get through the week?)

OK. He's still questionable. He'll be a game-day decision.

(Did he do much team work during the week?)

A little bit.

(Did Clifton practice today?)

No he didn't. He's sick. He'll be probable. I anticipate him playing.

(What do you think of the state of your return game right now?)

I think we have some very capable returners. Charles Woodson has done it in this league and been a very productive player. Greg Jennings, the opportunity he had he shows he definitely has ability. Robert Ferguson has the ability to go back there, probably moreso in the kickoff return. It's not a concern.

(Which back will be in the game after Ahman Green?)

It depends what we're doing. We'll play to Samkon's strengths and Noah's strengths. Some people use running back by committee, it will be based on what we're doing.

(Will Gado and Herron both play?)

I anticipate them both playing, yes.

(If William can't go, are you leaning more toward Vonta or the tight ends?)

They'll be game-day decisions. I don't really want to get into who's up and who's down.

(Assess how Jon Ryan has done so far?)

Jon obviously won the job through camp. He's very talented, young powerful punter, he's had a good week of practice, and you look for Jon to go out there and perform Sunday afterenoon.

(Is soreness still an issue with William?)

I don't think so, no. He's been out of it for a couple weeks.

(Has anybody won the job opposite Pickett?)

I know everybody wants to know, frankly I don't know who's running out there for the introductions. We're very fortunate there. We have a number of guys we can roll in the middle. At first Colin Cole was more consistent, and I thought Cullen (Jenkins) has come on the last couple weeks. Corey (Williams) does everything well, Kenderick (Allen) has been a real anchor. They're all going to play there.

(Junius Coston, how soon will he be back?)

I'm hoping in the next couple weeks. He has a knee, and when you're dealing with that kind of injury, the individual has a lot to do with how fast they come back.

(What kind of things do you do to get young guys to embrace the Lambeau advantage?)

I don't think I have to convince anybody to buy into the Lambeau advantage. The Lambeau advantage for the new individuals involved, I think they got a little taste of it just when they ran out there on Family Night. I can recall walking out on the field on Family Night and had schedules and things going through my mind and seeing Greg Jennings and Noah Herron out there just bouncing off the wall, thanking me for the opportunity to be at Lambeau Field. I'm sure that's the first impression for all our young people. I know it was for me in 1999, how special a place Lambeau Field is. I think throughout the preseason they have an understanding of what it's going to be like on gameday.

(Will team stay at hotel night before home games? What's your thinking on that?)

We still stay at the hotel the night before. I've done it both ways. In Kansas City, we were a very effective football team, we stayed at home, we never stayed in a hotel. In those days we were more of a veteran football team. My view on why you stay in a hotel has to do with the makeup of your football team. We're a young football team, so we're going to stay at the hotel because I think it's important for us to be together the night before the game and get into a routine. This is a long season. Most of these guys have not played more than 12 games in a season. It's more structure in their week, shutting them down, taking them away from potential distractions that could occur. That's why we stay in the hotel.

(With youth of team, consider a fast start even more important in terms of confidence?)

I think it's very important if you are young or if you're not. For our particular situation, I think our guys need to have success, and that will start with the first play. They've been told about the speed of the game, and there's some natural anxiety that goes with that, and I understand that. I think just the way we start the game is important. I think if we start the game strong, we're going to be fine. That's been my experience, particularly dealing with young players.

(What's your normal Saturday routine?)

We'll start an hour later at 8:30. We'll be in meetings probably up until about 11:30, noon.

(What time do you go on the field tomorrow?)

We don't go on the field on Saturdays. We extended our Friday practice. Basically, from a time management, it's very similar to what's done throughout the league, and what's done here in the past, which is irrelevant. But I don't believe in going out and practicing on Saturday. I believe in the 48-hour rule. When they walked off the field today, they have 48 hours to get their bodies ready for this game. That will be the common thing we'll do every Friday. Our structure tomorrow is all meetings, and frankly we won't have meetings tomorrow night at the hotel either. All of our night meetings will be part of our meetings tomorrow. I think sometimes because of history, so and so did it this way and he was successful, you can really drag out the week and it becomes cumbersome. I know as an assistant coach, I used to sit there in Saturday night meetings, and Saturday night is not the time to be going over your first 15. We'll know what we're going to do long before Saturday night, what's expected for Sunday afternoon. When we leave here tomorrow at noon, our football team from an organization meeting structure standpoint will be ready to play.

(Where did you pick up the 48-hour rule?)

It's really my observation of being in the league. I felt that in New Orleans, particularly when you coach a quarterback, you can really wear them out mentally. I've done that as an assistant coach. I've gone through the 50-60 play walk-throughs on Saturday, and I've found in the short term, it's productive, but over the course of a season, I think it's counterproductive. That's my opinion, just my opinion. It goes back to training camp. We had the same conversation when we talk about training camp. When you go to the practice field, it's time to practice. I'm not into walk ... we have what we call a jog-through. Walking around on the practice field, to me that's a conflict of what you're down there for. That's why we go to the practice field once. We go down there and practice and come back. We were down there a little longer? Yes. I don't want to go down to the practice field, walk through something, come back and go back. I don't think that's good time management. Everything we do conceptually as far as how we structure the classroom, the practice environment, and the gameday environment, it's all the same, whether it's training camp, in the spring, and more importantly in season.

(Still meet tomorrow night?)

We'll have a team meeting. We'll have chapel tomorrow night, and then I will speak at the team meeting.

(Players eat together on Saturday night before home game?)

We have a team snack after the team meeting. (Dinner time) they can eat wherever they want. The pre-game meal is four hours before kickoff. That's typical, standard throughout the league.

(No walk-throughs on Wednesday or Thursday morning on the practice field?)

We have walk-throughs that are built into our meeting structure, in the gym.

(What was the very first NFL game you ever attended? Do you remember?)

It was obviously a Steeler game. I can't. I was young. My neighborhood, we lived real close to the stadium. I'm sure it was a scalped ticket and I was very young. I do not recall.

GO PACKERS ! FAN FAITH !!