PDA

View Full Version : Pick A Backup QB, ref. 2011-2017

pbmax
07-16-2018, 01:46 PM
You have to have one in case of emergency even if you'd rather have an 8th WR. Or if you are M3, a third fullback.

You should approach this as George Allen, Marty Schottenheimer or Jerry Jones. Forget about developing for the future, you want to win now.

edit: Should be DeShone Kizer

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2018, 02:29 PM
dbl pst.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Todd. That list is full of abominations.

Ideally, you want a vet he has not only witnessed the horrors of NFL wars, but one who is also seasoned in the bloodshed of combats, as the backup to your deity QB. The fact the superabominations like Hundley were playing a tons last season reeks collusion.

Kap should've donned the Green and Gold last season. McCarthy pretty much simplified his simple offense for Hundley. Kap and his high Wonderlic score could've mastered that offense in 2 weeks time. Pack would've won at least 5 games while the GAB was on the disable list, and then won the Super Bowl once the GAB was fine and dandy again.

Btw, I picked Hill. He's less of an abomination than the other abominations.

mraynrand
07-16-2018, 02:33 PM
That looks like a line-up of Browns starters. None of them can win. I'd probably take Kizer, although his MO at Cleveland was to lose winnable games late. Taysom Hill might win you a game with a critical tackle on special teams.

pbmax
07-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Btw, I picked Hill. He's less of an abomination than the other abominations.

I agree about Kap entirely.

But I do love the idea of a special teamer leading the Packers at QB. It would almost be like signing Tebow.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-16-2018, 02:40 PM
I agree about Kap entirely.

But I do love the idea of a special teamer leading the Packers at QB. It would almost be like signing Tebow.

Tebow was never an abomination. All that guy did was win and win the in the clutch.

pbmax
07-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Tebow was never an abomination. All that guy did was win and win the in the clutch.

He was less than Dilfer. Trent let the great defense carry him to a championship.

Zool
07-16-2018, 03:20 PM

Bad troll. Bad. Nnnnno. Stop it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TeboTi00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HundBr00.htm

mraynrand
07-16-2018, 03:23 PM

but can he hit left-handed pitchers?

pbmax
07-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Bad troll. Bad. Nnnnno. Stop it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TeboTi00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HundBr00.htm

:lol:

If Tebow had stayed employed as a starter, he might have learned at a Dilferian rate and been good enough in year 4 or 5 to allow that great Bronco D to carry him to the Super Bowl ala the Original Hasselbeck brother:

http://pfref.com/tiny/ElJVs

Joemailman
07-16-2018, 04:21 PM
I went with Hundley. Even though I don't think he was very good, he did win 3 games and would have had a 4th at Pittsburgh if the defense had showed up. Have any of the others won games?

red
07-16-2018, 04:47 PM
almost impossible to say

seneca could have been the best of the group if he hadn't gotten hurt after 1 play or whatever it was

this is really like the joke about the gold medalist at the special olympics

texaspackerbacker
07-16-2018, 06:54 PM
How can people who have not yet even played a down even be included, given the premise of the poll "2011-2017"? I'm hopeful Kizer amounts to something; I'm about 52/48 that he beats out Hundley, and I don't rule out keeping both. Taysom Hill also never played a regular season down.

Several in there were total flops, at least one I had high hopes for - Coleman. I liked Tolzien - maybe partly Badger bias. I liked Callahan - but he too hardly did anything in the regular season if at all. I went with Hundley. I've always said, he was not as bad as the bashers claim.

pbmax
07-16-2018, 10:52 PM
I picked Wallace. But I agree with Joe it might actually be Hundley, as bad as he looked at times.

Which goes to show how weird Flynn's situation was. He never started anywhere else, but was the king of backups here.

Zool
07-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Flynn was Doug Pederson Next Generation. If he were a baseball player, they would call him a AAAA player.

The only reason I picked Callahan is his name. That is a Hollywood movie name right there.

mraynrand
07-17-2018, 05:49 AM
How can people who have not yet even played a down even be included, given the premise of the poll "2011-2017"?

Kizer helped the Packers win that game in Cleveland last year

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2018, 10:26 AM
hahahahahaha I guess.

Nobody on the whole sad list was worse than Seneca Wallace.

The Shadow
07-17-2018, 11:18 AM
This is like having to pick a beauty pageant winner between Rhea Perlman & Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

hoosier
07-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Hundley. Tolzien was more fun to watch, especially when he flashed his secret athleticism, but the fact that he never won a game probably speaks against him. That said, he never got to start against the Browns either, so maybe we need to take into account degree of difficulty before giving this crown of crappy play to Brett II.

hoosier
07-17-2018, 11:40 AM
"Forget about developing for the future...": Thanks for that! Because if we were thinking about future development and possible ceilings, having to choose just one from this list of budding young talent would have been an impossible task.

bobblehead
07-20-2018, 12:16 AM
Going with hill. I have seen him screw up less often than I have seen the others screw up.

wthigoot
07-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Think it will be Kizer. Will get better without the pressure of starting.

Could be Randall Cobb, he ran the Wildcat a few times, didn't he? Don't think he ever threw a pass though.

mraynrand
07-22-2018, 07:30 AM

Could be Randall Cobb, he ran the Wildcat a few times, didn't he? Don't think he ever threw a pass though.

He's 1-2 for 10 yards and a rating of 64.6. (Kizer is 60.5, Hundley is 67.9)

Joemailman
07-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Cobb started 4 games at QB his freshman year at Kentucky. I've alwaysbeen surprised Packers haven't utilzed his ability to throw more.

red
07-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Cobb started 4 games at QB his freshman year at Kentucky. I've alwaysbeen surprised Packers haven't utilzed his ability to throw more.

2 tds and 5 ints

might be a reason he was moved to wr

i think it was more of a gimmick after his first year. where he wasn't really a QB, but more of a RB taking a direct snap

KYPack
07-22-2018, 01:29 PM
2 tds and 5 ints

might be a reason he was moved to wr

i think it was more of a gimmick after his first year. where he wasn't really a QB, but more of a RB taking a direct snap

They played him at QB in the Wildcat. Because UK are the Wildcats, they called the formation the Wild Cobb. He could zing an intermediate pass, but he was no QB. after his freshman year, he was strictly a WR and sometime RB.

The Pack have run Cobb as a passer, but I've noticed he's lost whatever zip he had in his passing arm (injuries to his arm?). I have no desire to see him used in the backfield. He gets hurt enuff the way it is.

Cobb is considered a God down here.

yetisnowman
07-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Voted for Wallace by default.

Since 2000, 8 qbs have had 150+ pass attempts at home and a passer rating under 60. Two are on this list(Hundley, Kizer). Hundley's 50.6 qbr at home is the worst, and he broke the NFL record for most pass attempts at home without a TD.

I feel like that data should exclude him from the conversation.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2018, 01:18 AM
I forgot Taysom Hill was on packers last summer. Wasn't BJ Coleman a punter? I just hope Coach Rhodes does the right thing.

wthigoot
07-24-2018, 01:19 AM
They played him at QB in the Wildcat. Because UK are the Wildcats, they called the formation the Wild Cobb. He could zing an intermediate pass, but he was no QB. after his freshman year, he was strictly a WR and sometime RB.

The Pack have run Cobb as a passer, but I've noticed he's lost whatever zip he had in his passing arm (injuries to his arm?). I have no desire to see him used in the backfield. He gets hurt enuff the way it is.

Cobb is considered a God down here.
2015 he had the shoulder injury, I think it was the right (throwing) shoulder due to bad landing on a pass catch.

The Wildcat never came back anyway. Hope he can make hay in the slot this year. A breakout for a #2 outside guy would be just the thing. Lots of candidates.

As a Purdue alum, rooting for DeAngelo Yancey. Like all the draft picks too.

Pugger
07-24-2018, 08:18 AM
This is like having to pick a beauty pageant winner between Rhea Perlman & Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

:lol:

wthigoot
07-25-2018, 09:14 PM
I forgot Taysom Hill was on packers last summer. Wasn't BJ Coleman a punter? I just hope Coach Rhodes does the right thing.

Well, BJ Sander was supposedly a punter; but maybe you are thinking of Ingle Martin (another stalwart left off the list), he was a pretty decent punter in college.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingle_Martin