PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Thurston has worthy story to tell

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Posted September 9, 2006

Mike Vandermause column: Thurston has worthy story to tell

By Mike Vandermause

Avid fans might be hard pressed to remember who started at left guard last season for the Green Bay Packers, but they would have no trouble naming the starter at that position 40 years ago.

It's somewhat astounding that Fuzzy Thurston retired as a Packer following the 1967 season, yet a generation later he still is well known and beloved by followers of the Packers.

Thurston was an integral part of Vince Lombardi's Glory Years Packers teams. Along with Jerry Kramer, he formed one of the most famous guard combinations in NFL history.

Anyone who knows football knows about the vaunted Packers sweep, with No. 63 (Thurston) and No. 64 (Kramer) clearing timber for running backs Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor.

Chat with Thurston, 72, for any length of time and his positive outlook on life strikes you.

"He just absolutely loves being Fuzzy," Kramer said. "He has as much fun living his life as anyone I've ever known."

Thurston has an important story to tell, and that's one reason he is self-publishing a book that will be released today entitled: "What a Wonderful World: The Fuzzy Thurston Story."

Thurston, who owns Fuzzy's Bar and Grill on Mason Street in Green Bay, can teach us all some important life lessons about dealing with adversity. This is a man who was born into poverty in Altoona, lost his father at an early age and was sent to live with an aunt in Florida when he was 12 because his mother couldn't afford to take care of him.

He overcame those obstacles and played on five NFL championship teams under Lombardi in Green Bay. But Thurston's struggles weren't over. He endured bankruptcy and throat cancer.

Through it all, he refused to feel sorry for himself.

Kramer, a master storyteller, captures the essence of his good friend Thurston with a simple analogy.

"I always tell people Fuzzy's like a 5-year-old on Christmas morning who gets a box of horse (manure) for Christmas, and he's jumping up and down and going, 'Yippee.' And somebody asks him, 'What are you celebrating?' And Fuzzy says, where there's horse (manure), there's got to be a pony around here someplace."

When asked to share his best piece of advice, Thurston replied: "Never, never quit until it's over. You've always got a chance."

Lombardi left his mark on Thurston. After calling the legendary coach a brilliant man, Thurston quickly adds: "He scared the hell out of me."

To this day, Thurston still lives on Lombardi time, meaning he shows up 15 minutes early for every appointment.

Thurston's highest salary during his playing days was $27,000. That made his Super Bowl-winning bonus, given to every player on the team, seem like a gold mine. "We got a check for $15,000," Thurston said. "I thought I would die."

He doesn't resent today's high salaries. Sure, it would have been nice to be set for life, as many players are today. But Thurston said he wouldn't trade his NFL experience for anything.

"Money can only get you so far," he said. "It's such an honor to be a Green Bay Packer, and I cherish that every day of my life."

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

PACKER HISTORY.

woodbuck27
09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
"Never, never quit until it's over. You've always got a chance." . . . Fuzzy Thurston

PACKER FAN FAITH !