PDA

View Full Version : Actual football: DBs

bobblehead
07-24-2018, 10:26 AM
So I'm excited with the infusion of talent. When a stud like Herb Waters is expected to be cut you must be loaded.

King showed flashes last year so there is reason for optimism. We always love a first round pick until they Harrell on you. But what has me amped was Jackson slipping to us in the 2nd. I don't think this was a case of doubling up on need, I think it was "holy shit, we almost took him in the first".

When we drafted Jones last year I said he was replacing Hyde for now and Burnett next year. That seems to have been the plan, and I hope he can excel cuz a lot rides on it.

This unit is deep on optimism if not proven NFL talent. Guys like Brice and Evans have shown flashes, Waters will start somewhere at CB and hopefully Pipkens, Hawkins and damn near any of about 5 guys can break out and make sure I never have to watch House play another snap in Green and Gold!

red
07-24-2018, 04:41 PM
this is the big question mark of the team. the unit could be great, could be terrible, or could be anywhere in between

lots of really young talent, and some nice decent vets

probably the group i'm most excited to watch

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Yeah, it seems like we are loaded at Corner and shaky at Safety.

Jones needs to play a helluva lot better than he did as a rookie, and Clinton-Dix needs to be a positive factor instead of whatever he was last year. I had high hopes for Brice and Evans, but you could say they had their chance to step up last year and didn't, not much anyway. I wonder if some of our tons of Corner talent could be converted to Safety - which I don't know, as none seems obvious for that.

Cheesehead Craig
07-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Pettine's got this. I'm actually not too worried about this group.

bobblehead
07-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Yeah, it seems like we are loaded at Corner and shaky at Safety.

Jones needs to play a helluva lot better than he did as a rookie, and Clinton-Dix needs to be a positive factor instead of whatever he was last year. I had high hopes for Brice and Evans, but you could say they had their chance to step up last year and didn't, not much anyway. I wonder if some of our tons of Corner talent could be converted to Safety - which I don't know, as none seems obvious for that.

I've heard some suggest that Jackson would be better suited for safety. I'm not sure I agree. I always said Hyde was better suited for safety, but we were so bad at corner he played there the most.

wthigoot
07-25-2018, 09:36 PM
I've heard some suggest that Jackson would be better suited for safety. I'm not sure I agree. I always said Hyde was better suited for safety, but we were so bad at corner he played there the most.

Wouldn't mind some cross-training of Jackson as a safety if he isn't in the top 3 CBs, but if he's really in the 4.4x timing range instead of his combine numbers he should probably be a CB until he fails. Will be interesting to see. If Alexander stays in the slot, Jackson might replace Tramon next year.

Lots of CB talent, would be nice to go 7 CB and have one able to play some safety. Is Rollins a candidate for safety?

texaspackerbacker
07-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Rollins might be Safety material. I was thinking maybe Kevin King might get a shot there too. He seems just a step slow for Corner, but he's plenty fast and big to cover TEs, and he showed some ability to be a hitter too.

Jackson seems to be instinctive as a Corner. He reminds me of Al Harris except maybe faster. He also seems to be more ready coming into the NFL than Alexander. I hope they leave him at Corner and maybe even start him.